PDA

View Full Version : Going to Maui

knoxt
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Anyone's been there? Recommendations where to go? We'll be staying at Makena Beach.

AjdeNate!
Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Take a lot of money. It's very, very expensive. Even normal, 'cheap' things are much more expensive because of the cost to import.

The only thing I'd recommend is trying one (or more!) malasadas. You can find some good ones in local, mom & pop cafes/restaurants. :lick:

njnetswill
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I found Maui to be underwhelming, though the drive along the Hana Highway is quite pretty (and demanding). I enjoyed the Iao Valley park as well. And yes, everything in Hawaii is expensive. I recommend buying food at grocery stores rather than eating out all the time to save some money.

I know that your plans have already been finalized, but I highly recommend Kauai for your next trip to Hawaii.

knoxt
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Only going to be there Wednesday through Sunday, so don't have to go to Kuai/Oahu... Heard Hana is a must.. Is it worth the hike and all? Or should we just drive through?

Any other things that are recommended to do besides snorkeling, etc? Hear that Kanaapali beach is the nicest... but we are staying in Makena Beach - figured it's less touristy than Kanapaali.

Tennisation
Jul 4th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Bad choice, Oahu is much more fun. Unless you're going there with your significant other on a honeymoon and you just want to relax and do nothing (because there's not much to do) otherwise I don't recommend Maui. There's a serious lack of nightlife since everything closes at like 5 or 6. Food is extremely expensive and mediocre and it's hard to find anything that's open late. Kaanapali beach beach is considered one of the best beaches there but don't expect paradise or expect there to be much to do. Compare to Lanikai beach in Oahu where SI have taken photos of models in swimsuits, it doesn't measure up. Here are things I'd recommend though:

1. Something adventurous: Maui Zipling tour (there's many of them)
2. Get on one of the boats and have them take you out to Lanai for snorkeling
3. Sunrise at Mt. Haleakala (bring a jacket, it's very cold)

njnetswill
Jul 4th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I drove all the way to the end of the highway (the paved part anyway). There is a park at the end, and it is worth the short, easy hike to a small bay/waterfall. You can swim there or just enjoy the scenery.

Talula
Jul 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM
In all honesty I don't understand why people travel for hours on end to beach places. I went a few years ago and a beach is a beach and i was bored after a few days. I actually had a better time in Benidorm! I think some people just like to crow on about where they've been. I've learned most beach places are all the same and you can have a much better time closer to home. I preferred Florida to Hawaii and it was much closer when we were living in the US. Plus as others have said it is extremely expensive. There are lots of hot beaches at the fraction of the price - with mor varied things to do when you're bored with lying on a lilo!