PDA

View Full Version : London 2012 - Mission: Olympic Glory & Career Golden Slam!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5454/33594512rf5.jpg

Mashi
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kick. Sabine's. Ass.
28 days to go. :rocker2:
Show 'em who's the boss Maria! I wanna see you wild!
http://kthanxbye.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/sharapovaolympics.jpg

Trih
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'll never open a thread again in my life. :bigcry:

masha122
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'll never open a thread again in my life.

don't be sad ; you will open one and maria will end wining the title :)

masha122
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
you will need a lot of luck maria for the olympics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mashi
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
you will need a lot of luck maria for the olympics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want her to draw Kim in first round.

Crux Squall
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
I love red and white

Rerun
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I hate the fact that olympics are gonna be played on this awful grass

Mistress of Evil
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Is in it a little too early opening this thread? I mean, give us some time to mourn the latest loss.

domon17th
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wow this is fast, even for SS's standards.

Cherry.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
I hate the fact that olympics are gonna be played on this awful grassIKR? :sad: To think that I was rooting for London over Paris back in 2005 for this Olympics because at that time grass was Masha's best surface. Now I wish Paris had won so we can play on clay. :o Oh how time has changed everything.

Cherry.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Anyways can't wait! :cheer: I won't worry about her game yet. Just wanna firstly enjoy seeing her bare the flag at the ceremony! :hearts:

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hopefully she takes a couple of weeks off first. She just seemed SO mentally-exhausted at these Championships... her meltdowns at the end of the 2nd set against Pironkova / end of 1st set today were so un-like her.

JoPova
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Thank you for opening this thread! :hearts:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Bring it. This gurl be making MUTHA RUSSIA PROUD. :worship:

Cherry.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hopefully she takes a couple of weeks off first. She just seemed SO mentally-exhausted at these Championships... her meltdowns at the end of the 2nd set against Pironkova / end of 1st set today were so un-like her.Yes I agree. It's understandable. Her Miami final loss was a meltdown in a similar way IMO. Now we have roughly a month till OG so hope she'll be able to regain her energy.

JuviaCroft
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Yes I agree. It's understandable. Her Miami final loss was a meltdown in a similar way IMO. Now we have roughly a month till OG so hope she'll be able to regain her energy.

yeah true :yeah:

Cosmic Voices
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Go Masha, davai :cheer:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
You think Masha will make a quick stop in Paris on her way home to check out HC Fashion Week? :hearts:

Ksenia.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
The faster we and Masha move on the better :lol:
I hope she gets proper rest, clears up her mind and wins it all :yeah:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Isn't she supposed to attend the ESPYs around this time? Anyway she should be on some red carpet soon. Everytime she goes to some event she plays good tennis. :lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Her program will be something like :
going to Florida to see Yuri for 3-4 days
then back to LA to be with Sasha then the ESPYs on the 11th
get a week of rest
and then around 22-23th back to London.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Isn't she supposed to attend the ESPYs around this time? Anyway she should be on some red carpet soon. Everytime she goes to some event she plays good tennis. :lol:

Haute Couture Fashion Week in Paris started yesterday and ends on the 5th... :oh: The ESPYs are on the 11th or 10th, I believe. :p

18majors
Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Let's go, Maria!

jameshazza
Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Let's go Maria. :cheer:
Rest up and get motivated.

**mashafierce**
Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I don't lose faith in her and I am still proud of her and believe she's gonna win the gold medal.She will rest and come back stronger than ever!!!!!!!!!!

MM_1257
Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
And hope she does go back to Sasha... :oh: besides... She won't have much additional training on grass, will she?? Ah, cannot expect miracles for the Games...

Cherry.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
And hope she does go back to Sasha... :oh: besides... She won't have much additional training on grass, will she?? Ah, cannot expect miracles for the Games...Don't expect miracles. Just enjoy the opening ceremony first and then one match at a time. :) We'll see how it goes based on her form. Of course I'd like to see her do well but regardless it's her first ever OG so we should just enjoy seeing her playing there at the very least.

NashaMasha
Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Her program will be something like :
going to Florida to see Yuri for 3-4 days
then back to LA to be with Sasha then the ESPYs on the 11th
get a week of rest
and then around 22-23th back to London.
she needs more training , Thomas has much to improve in her game right now

fanofmaria
Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Don't expect miracles. Just enjoy the opening ceremony first and then one match at a time. :) We'll see how it goes based on her form. Of course I'd like to see her do well but regardless it's her first ever OG so we should just enjoy seeing her playing there at the very least.

Well said Cherry! Looking forward to watching Maria at the London OG!

MashaFan01
Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
After a good 3 or 4 of days rest and then 3 weeks of preparation she'll be as good good as new and ready to kick ass - All she's to do then is to keep it up for 6 days

Is that her Olympic dress? - Looking good! - Although - superstitious as I am - I'd rather preferred either white or black

Maria Croft
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I never thought I'd ever say this, but can't they play on clay instead? :lol:

It's become pretty obvious that grass is no longer Maria's best surface, if it ever was to be honest. It's now clay (like, I know right), indoors and hard courts.

Just check out her last two losses. Good serving by her opponents on a fast surface when her own serve didn't click.
Oh well, maybe a few more weeks of rest will do her some good. I just hope she enjoys the moments here.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I think Pova should take a good week off. Her tennis isn't the problem as much as she's simply mentally drained, I think. Has she ever played as many matches at this point during the season as she has this year? She just needs a break to let these past few weeks really sink in, to recharge her batteries and to refocus on the second half of the season. :)

Dieter.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Time to take a few days off and recharge the batteries, so she will be ready to kick some ass at the Olympics. :)

jameshazza
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
I think Pova should take a good week off. Her tennis isn't the problem as much as she's simply mentally drained, I think. Has she ever played as many matches at this point during the season as she has this year? She just needs a break to let these past few weeks really sink in, to recharge her batteries and to refocus on the second half of the season. :)

I think she has but I also think that she's played almost as many matches already this year than she has in any year since she came back.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
I think she just needs a rest too. Her game hasn't deserted her--she doesn't need to train. I think she's just mentally drained, that's all.

After a good 3 or 4 of days rest and then 3 weeks of preparation she'll be as good good as new and ready to kick ass - All she's to do then is to keep it up for 6 days

Is that her Olympic dress? - Looking good! - Although - superstitious as I am - I'd rather preferred either white or black

That was her dress for 2008 Olympics that never happened. :bigcry:

Advantage Me
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM

Totally agree. She needs a break. Didn't get a chance to really celebrate her big win.

Cherry.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
I think Pova should take a good week off. Her tennis isn't the problem as much as she's simply mentally drained, I think. Has she ever played as many matches at this point during the season as she has this year? She just needs a break to let these past few weeks really sink in, to recharge her batteries and to refocus on the second half of the season. :)Everything you've said. :yeah:

MashaFan01
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I never thought I'd ever say this, but can't they play on clay instead? :lol:

It's become pretty obvious that grass is no longer Maria's best surface, if it ever was to be honest. It's now clay (like, I know right), indoors and hard courts.

Just check out her last two losses. Good serving by her opponents on a fast surface when her own serve didn't click.
Oh well, maybe a few more weeks of rest will do her some good. I just hope she enjoys the moments here.

No offense - but who said that grass is Masha's best surface? - She herself has never stated that - all she's said was that she loves to play on grass - Since Wimbledon 2004 - she hasn't had any significant successes on grass except for the Wimbledon final last year

Mashi
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Haute Couture Fashion Week in Paris started yesterday and ends on the 5th... :oh: The ESPYs are on the 11th or 10th, I believe. :p

That explains everything. :facepalm:

jameshazza
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM

GTFO. :wavey:

Crux Squall
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
No offense - but who said that grass is Masha's best surface? - She herself has never stated that - all she's said was that she loves to play on grass - Since Wimbledon 2004 - she hasn't had any significant successes on grass except for the Wimbledon final last year

she only lost to eventual champion from.2005~2007 in Wim. I still think Grass is her best surface with her old game

Trih
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM

You're worse than haters, you're childish and I prefer 100 of those people in GM who honestly say they don't like Maria, rather than having a "fan" like you.
I'd lose 1000 "fans" like you every day. :wavey:

slamchamp
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Why do the Olympics have to be on her worst surface?:bigcry: Oh well lets hope she gets more practise on it:facepalm:

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM

I think she just needs a rest too. Her game hasn't deserted her--she doesn't need to train. I think she's just mentally drained, that's all.

That was her dress for 2008 Olympics that never happened. :bigcry:

Totally agree. She needs a break. Didn't get a chance to really celebrate her big win.

Agree with you guys. I don't see that she's in need of intensive training. Even in this tournament, she played near her best in very brief patches - it was just she couldn't string it together on anything like a consistent basis, which as you guys said indicates mental exhaustion more than it does that her serves/footwork/groundstrokes etc. fundamentally aren't good enough.

Though when she DOES start training again, whenever that may be, can she please focus on try and being more aggressive from early in the point rather than the claycourt-style rallying she was doing today :o

Trih
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I heard her after a match in the last days saying it was "easier to slide than making all the little steps you need to adjust on the grass", she totally transformed in Claypova :hysteric:
But I agree, if she'll adjust her style a little bit she can go far in the OG.

nectar69
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know if she will play mixed at OG? Last I heard the Russian coach, said it was a thought of his to have her play with one of the guys, but he hadn't talked to her about it. When would a decision have to be made? Part of me would like to see her play mixed, just because I think it would be fun to see her playing mixed. And Youzhny is playing well right now. Selfishly, I think it would be great to see her play it. I remember how excited Federer was when he won the men's doubles gold. Still, I know it would be better for her game if she focuses on singles.

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know if she will play mixed at OG? Last I heard the Russian coach, said it was a thought of his to have her play with one of the guys, but he hadn't talked to her about it. When would a decision have to be made? Part of me would like to see her play mixed, just because I think it would be fun to see her playing mixed. And Youzhny is playing well right now. Selfishly, I think it would be great to see her play it. I remember how excited Federer was when he won the men's doubles gold. Still, I know it would be better for her game if she focuses on singles.

Maria is not even going to sniff a Mixed Doubles Medal, even if she does play it :lol:

Mashi
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
GTFO. :wavey:

You're worse than haters, you're childish and I prefer 100 of those people in GM who honestly say they don't like Maria, rather than having a "fan" like you.
I'd lose 1000 "fans" like you every day. :wavey:

I was only trying to be humoristic! Of course I know she wanted very much to win it and didn't lose because of the fashion week!

Break My Rapture
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
So...are you genuinely a Sharapova fan or are you just trolling?

Coz gerl, http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21760293&postcount=821 that shit don't make me believe you should be here. GET OUT.

Trih
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:21 PM
It didn't make me laugh :facepalm: by the way, it was more about some things like "you lost a fan" you wrote somewhere else .. :rolleyes:

Mashi
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm very one-dimensional, not clever, don't guess a lot, act first and then try to reflect... and I was so sad after her loss! And I don't know what happend to me, I usually stay away from GM after her losses to forget it and carry on but today I wanted to - it's really dumb and strange - be a hater of Maria, I really can't explain why, I've always been a fan of Maria!! I've supported her for 4 years and all, I'm very very touched you took it that way I didn't mean to do what I did but it must be too late now! I hoped I was betterr than the likes of Aselto and all but now I feel like shit it's horrible I hope you'll still let me post there because what I said was not me I'm just too extreme sometimes! :sad:

Break My Rapture
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
It's OK. Don't worry aboot it.

Crux Squall
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'm a fan of Maria from 2005 (but cant watch more Maria's match). So many heart attack in a long time :tears: And now i can say i just need 1 or 2 day to take the lose away, especially when she won RG

Crux Squall
Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:05 AM
i have a question: Will have a new grass for Olympic or wont??

dsanders06
Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:30 AM

It's at Wimbledon.

One thing I just realised: because the grass will be very worn down by the time of the Olympics (because it won't have time to recover from Wimbledon), it should play a fair bit slower! :woohoo: :lol:

lefty24
Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:52 AM
Maria should go to Russia. Please.

NashaMasha
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:03 AM

there will be new grass, already confirmed

tennis-insomniac
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:06 AM
Gotta get rid of the negativity ASAP Maria gotta recharge her motivation and get Fightpova back in time of the Olympic to retain her no.1. Ranking! I can't believe there comes the day I wish clay season could be a little bit longer :sobbing:

Hanh Nguyen
Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
Do players have to wear white for this year's olympics at the all england club aswell? I really would like Maria to wear some blue and red.

lefty24
Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
Do players have to wear white for this year's olympics at the all england club aswell? I really would like Maria to wear some blue and red.

Nope they don't have to wear all white.

NashaMasha
Jul 3rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Opening ceremony outfit
http://sdelanounas.ru/i/y/n/YnVybzI0Ny5ydS9sb2NhbC9pbWFnZXMvYnVyby9hZXNfOTc4OC 0xX2pwZ18xMzQwODkyMjgyLkpQRz9fX2lkPTE5MDIy.jpg
casual outfit
http://24warez.ru/uploads/posts/1340947750_ynvybzi0ny5yds9sb2nhbc9pbwfnzxmvynvyby9 hzxnfotcxmy0xx2pwz18xmzqwodkxoti0lkpqrz9fx2lkpte5m diy.jpg
http://24warez.ru/uploads/posts/1340947757_ynvybzi0ny5yds9sb2nhbc9pbwfnzxmvynvyby9 hzxnfoty5ms0xx2pwz18xmzqwodkxode4lkpqrz9fx2lkpte5m diy.jpg

Yevgeny Kafelnikov
http://img11.nnm.ru/4/4/1/1/a/6c7d7cf41a0556c51596643a9db.jpg

JamieOwen3
Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
Flag Bearer :oh:

Can't wait to see her holding it in the opening ceremony. :D

Hanh Nguyen
Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Opening ceremony outfit
http://sdelanounas.ru/i/y/n/YnVybzI0Ny5ydS9sb2NhbC9pbWFnZXMvYnVyby9hZXNfOTc4OC 0xX2pwZ18xMzQwODkyMjgyLkpQRz9fX2lkPTE5MDIy.jpg
casual outfit
http://24warez.ru/uploads/posts/1340947750_ynvybzi0ny5yds9sb2nhbc9pbwfnzxmvynvyby9 hzxnfotcxmy0xx2pwz18xmzqwodkxoti0lkpqrz9fx2lkpte5m diy.jpg
http://24warez.ru/uploads/posts/1340947757_ynvybzi0ny5yds9sb2nhbc9pbwfnzxmvynvyby9 hzxnfoty5ms0xx2pwz18xmzqwodkxode4lkpqrz9fx2lkpte5m diy.jpg

Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Those outfits are nice:)

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm very one-dimensional, not clever, don't guess a lot, act first and then try to reflect... and I was so sad after her loss! And I don't know what happend to me, I usually stay away from GM after her losses to forget it and carry on but today I wanted to - it's really dumb and strange - be a hater of Maria, I really can't explain why, I've always been a fan of Maria!! I've supported her for 4 years and all, I'm very very touched you took it that way I didn't mean to do what I did but it must be too late now! I hoped I was betterr than the likes of Aselto and all but now I feel like shit it's horrible I hope you'll still let me post there because what I said was not me I'm just too extreme sometimes! :sad:

I know, I'm often instinctive like that and I make errors before thinking... but it's ok, let's forget everything and move on.

MM_1257
Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
And the bitch*g started... Bychkova first to throw stones...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
^ What did she say? :lol:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Bychkova on Sharapova as flagbearer:"Picking her is like picking a naturalised Russian". Because that's obviously bad.

gc-spurs
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Opening ceremony outfit
casual outfit

Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Gross. but hey still better than NZs

Crux Squall
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
there will be new grass, already confirmed

Thanks, It's great to see new grass, beautiful

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Shame that it is going to be on grass, but best of luck to Maria!

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Bychkova on Sharapova as flagbearer:"Picking her is like picking a naturalised Russian". Because that's obviously bad.

Found more :help:

E.Bychkova on Sharapova as OG flagbearer, "I did hope it was a joke. It's as laughable as it gets -- an American as the Russian flagbearer".

Qetusi
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
E.Bychkova on Sharapova as OG flagbearer, "I did hope it was a joke. It's as laughable as it gets -- an American as the Russian flagbearer".
"She's been living in US since she was 7. She has American mentality, it's a fact. Picking her is like picking a naturalised Russian".

russian - http://www.sports.ru/tennis/141808692.html

But who cares what Bychkova said ......

Andy.
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Awful outfits :hysteric:

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
who's this Bitchikova? :shrug:

Mashi
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
Bychkova, I call jealousy! I mean Maria went to the USA to get the best training possible and, as a tennis player, she travels so much it doesn't really matter where she lives. :shrug: Besides, she's always said she felt Russian and her will power to be the flag bearer prove everything to me! :)
I'm sure that Bychkova wanted to kick Maria's ass at Moscow in 2006 to show she was the true tea and the disappointment must have been... huge. :oh:

claypova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
:)
Maria will win!

Kon.
Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
On to the Olympics :cheer:

Mashi
Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
What do you think Maria can do at the OG?
I really think, after the rest she will have taken, that her determination and fighting spirit will bring her very far, maybe even win the whole thing. I also think that Serena is beatable, seeing how she's played during Wimbly. I mean one day when her serve is off, Maria can defo eat her alive.
What are your opinions?

KK2009
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I heard her after a match in the last days saying it was "easier to slide than making all the little steps you need to adjust on the grass", she totally transformed in Claypova :hysteric:

That explains why her footwork was such a mess in SW19.

jameshazza
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
What do you think Maria can do at the OG?
I really think, after the rest she will have taken, that her determination and fighting spirit will bring her very far, maybe even win the whole thing. I also think that Serena is beatable, seeing how she's played during Wimbly. I mean one day when her serve is off, Maria can defo eat her alive.
What are your opinions?

There's no question Maria will be hungry, four weeks is a long time to be out of competition for a fighter like Maria. I love that she's doing ESPYs and all but I would prefer her to take these four weeks rest, rehab and practice those flat shots for OG. Serena is definitely beatable and along with Petra playing her best I pretty much view Maria as the only other player with the weapons to beat Serena when she's playing well. But it depends which Maria shows up on the day.

MM_1257
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I'd love Maria to come back to London a little bit earlier.. yes... Dunno... We shall see. My optimism vanished. :sad:

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I guess after 2 months running at full speed, it will be good for her to go home and rest.
And more weeks of time to get used to grass, she played so much time on clay before winning RG, so more training before the OG will be needed.

Jack89
Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
I'm sick and tired of people feeling like they should say whether Maria is russian or american. Maria says she russian so shes russian.

Where she chooses to live or train is irrelevant and quite frankly none of thier business.

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Let's do this :cheer:.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm sick and tired of people feeling like they should say whether Maria is russian or american. Maria says she russian so shes russian.

Where she chooses to live or train is irrelevant and quite frankly none of thier business.

This. :help: It's almost as tiring as the grunting stuff.

Need new controversy. :lol:

domon17th
Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Teerin, nothing is new, Maria's a magnet for controversy. Especially with her success now, you know, career grand slam and stuff.

June7
Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
"She's been living in US since she was 7. She has American mentality, it's a fact. Picking her is like picking a naturalised Russian".

russian - http://www.sports.ru/tennis/141808692.html

But who cares what Bychkova said ......

Said a player who is not even in the top 100:tape::lol:

Good luck for this Masha! go on for it!

Tennisvampire
Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Bychkova :lol: The bitch can only suck it and watch it :devil: They are really getting annoying with this, Maria has Russian roots and she says that she feels Russian. And that is more than enough for me. Stupid vultures. They would have more arguments in saying that Lisicki is not really German, I mean hey she is just playing for their country, but you don't hear them talking crap about that, do you?

Anyway, I can't for the OG to start (primarily tennis, but other sports as well :hearts:). And I can't wait to see Maria carry the Russian flag. Btw, I wonder which other tennis players will do the same? I know that Novak and Rafa will, but I still wonder about Fed. He really deserves it, although it seems he was already the bearer, twice :eek:

JamieOwen3
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Like I said earlier.... http://twitter.com/TheGrandSlams/status/220204332564480002 I SPEAK NO WORD OF A LIE IN THAT TWEET!!

Bychkova you're nothing but a jealous hoe. WANNABE!

stegall
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
I don't get what the problem is journalists have about her living and training in America ..Lots of players from other countries do the same especially around the Bradenton,Fl area..It doesn't mean they don't like their home countries or don't consider themselves from there.

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
They just talk bullshit. They speak just because they are attention whores lol.
It's like, for example, if someone from Serbia would have a problem with Novak being the flag bearer, just because he resides in Monaco. :shrug:

MM_1257
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Let's all tone it down a little bit, shall we? This was expected, at least from my part, and I am almost sure that 99% of their athletes think the same. Maria surely doesn't care. It is not good from their part to express it publically since I know what kind of comments will that cause all over the internet, but I am sure a lot of them secretly think the same. Just like ATP does about women's paychecks ;)

WowWow
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM

Yes, but she hardly slides on clay. It's all about little steps on clay, too. She didn't win RG by sliding, that's for sure:lol:
She found her own way to play on clay and win it and it's admiring, actually. :yeah:

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
I'm starting to think summer has a bad effect on me, I'm too nervous and I write replies instinctively when I shouldn't. :tape:

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM
Yes, but she hardly slides on clay. It's all about little steps on clay, too. She didn't win RG by sliding, that's for sure:lol:
She found her own way to play on clay and win it and it's admiring, actually. :yeah:

Well, actually she slides now very good on the backhand side, I've heard many commentators say it. ;)

Break My Rapture
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
I think I like a total of ONE Radwanska fan on this forum. :lol:

Trih
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Your sig :happy: :rolls:
Who would that fan be ?

WowWow
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Well, actually she slides now very good on the backhand side, I've heard many commentators say it. ;)

Baby steps:lol:;)

Advantage Me
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:10 AM
To cheer myself up after Maria's loss, I watched her match against Sara Errani in the final and Maria was sliding all over the place making winners! So impressive and commentators were saying how much she has improved on clay. Best final in a long time. I can watch that match over and over again. Maria at her best. And the presentation after....with Maria being anounced as runner up was hilarious and momentus.

Advantage Me
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:14 AM
To cheer myself up after Maria's loss, I watched her match against Sara Errani in the final and Maria was sliding all over the place making winners! So impressive and commentators were saying how much she has improved on clay. Best final in a long time. I can watch that math over and over again. Maria at her best. And the presentation after....with Maria being anounced as runner up was hilarious.

Slampova
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Bring home the gold gurl :inlove:

Why does the pic on the first page say Maria will be aiming to become the first Russian tennis player to win Gold at the Olympics :unsure: Is poor Elena totally irrelevant now :sobbing:

jameshazza
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:29 AM
It was the press release for her 2008 OG dress iirc.

Cherry.
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Bring home the gold gurl :inlove:

Why does the pic on the first page say Maria will be aiming to become the first Russian tennis player to win Gold at the Olympics :unsure: Is poor Elena totally irrelevant now :sobbing:The pic was from 2008.

Slampova
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Oh lol :lol:

jameshazza
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Gonna be a long 3 weeks between Wimbly and OG. :sad:

perseus2006
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:25 AM
So will Pova wear that for the 2012 Olympics?

jameshazza
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:26 AM
She's already said that she's getting a brand new dress but we still haven't seen it which is weird given there's little over 3 weeks to go. :lol:

Cherry.
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:27 AM
So will Pova wear that for the 2012 Olympics?Nope. That's what she was supposed to wear in 2008.

claypova
Jul 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
^ but that dress looked so good :hearts: :(

DeeHax
Jul 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think the 2008 dress is too simple! I think she“ll wear something more sophisticated, in the colors of Russian flag.

Mashi
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
The pic was from 2008.

About that picture, did you know that she went to the USA with only 700$?! I used to think she'd always been very rich but now... Wow I do admire her even more. :inlove:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
About that picture, did you know that she went to the USA with only 700$?! I used to think she'd always been very rich but now... Wow I do admire her even more. :inlove:

What makes you think she was rich? :lol:

Mashi
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
What makes you think she was rich? :lol:

I don't know since I was a child I considered tennis as a sport for rich people and thus I've always thought every top player was very rich... I was totally wrong. :facepalm:
However there's still that photo of her quite young at a Club Med so... :p

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I don't know since I was a child I considered tennis as a sport for rich people and thus I've always thought every top player was very rich... I was totally wrong. :facepalm:

I don't think many tennis players have a rich background at all which is why they're all so hungry for success. So many top players struggled during their childhood. Only a few players who are rich I can think of--Ernest Gulbis, Eugenie Bouchard... Brie Whitehead? :lol:

shaktincredible
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
winning first wimbledon title > winning olympic gold medal

winning olympic gold medal >>> winning second wimbledon title

now bring it on Mash! you save energy for more important title this year! first French open title! Olympic!

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
winning first wimbledon title > winning olympic gold medal

winning olympic gold medal >>> winning second wimbledon title

now bring it on Mash! you save energy for more important title this year! first French open title! Olympic!

yes, well said.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

MM_1257
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM

:confused:
You haven't seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_l7fiHU-4 ?

Mashi
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
:confused:
You haven't seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_l7fiHU-4 ?

Nope, thanks for sharing!! :)

MashaFan01
Jul 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Historical facts:

Masha has won all her slams in even years (2004 - 2006 - 2008 - 2012)

She's won them in order - Wimbledon first - USO - AO and FO

When she won them she was mainly dressed either in black or white

Something to ponder on - right? - However - the Olympics isn't a slam but could be seen as an irregular tournament - So she might be able to win gold upon her FO slam

Shivank17
Jul 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wimbledon, what? Time for the real deal on grass this year. :inlove:

denny5576
Jul 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
first step to the Olympic gold - OK
Maria could meet Serena only in the final

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2012, 03:55 PM
first step to the Olympic gold - OK
Maria could meet Serena only in the final

And she'll also finally be able to draw Azarenka in the semis, rather than the final :woohoo:

Trih
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:01 PM
A question just hit my mind. I know I should be ashamed because I didn't see the 2008 Olympic tournament, but ... how does the bronze medal is assigned? They play a 2nd final between the two who loses the semis? :unsure: :sobbing: Sorry for the question :angel:

jameshazza
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah that's how it's assigned.

MM_1257
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
And she'll also finally be able to draw Azarenka in the semis, rather than the final :woohoo:

:lol: :hysteric: Let her first get that far. ;):angel:

stegall
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
will there be a stream to watch it?,they never show the tennis portion of the Olympics here on tv.

Crux Squall
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
:lol: :hysteric: Let her first get that far. ;):angel:

yes :)
P/s: I'm really want to see her game in Olympic, I hope her FH will be better than push the ball back

jameshazza
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I just hope that because this sin't in Russia she forgets that she's technically playing for her country here. Hopefully that will be the case because after missing them in 2008 I truly believe Maria is doing this for herself.

MM_1257
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I just hope that because this sin't in Russia she forgets that she's technically playing for her country here. Hopefully that will be the case because after missing them in 2008 I truly believe Maria is doing this for herself.

Me too, I hope she does not feel the pressure, because we do know how much she does feel pressure in Fed Cup and when she was playing the tournament in Moscow. I am a bit worried TBH (but that is probably/hopefully the Drama Queen in me). Not to forget all the "opinions" about her as the flagbearer.

As far as the FH goes, I am gonna watch those winners of RG again, 90% were FH winners. :angel:

Stonerpova
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM

I'm liking this No. 3 ranking more and more :lol:

Mashi
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I'm liking this No. 3 ranking more and more :lol:

:lol:
Anyway, between Wimbledon and the USO, what do think Maria has more chances to win?

cowsonice
Jul 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Thankfully, the Olympics tournament has fewer seeding surprises.

Jeffery
Jul 5th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thankfully, the Olympics tournament has fewer seeding surprises.

When the main draw will be available?

nectar69
Jul 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I forgot about the rankings being the way they are. No Serena until the final, I love that. And the best part is she could play Radwanska in the semis, Maria will tear that polish girl up! I would love that match-up. It sickens me to see Radwanska in the Wimbledon final.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I love the wonders that this No. 3 ranking does. :lol:

Trih
Jul 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
She planned everything before Wim. :cool:

Maria Croft
Jul 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Well duh :lol:

NashaMasha
Jul 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
i've made statistics comparison , pls check
http://s8.postimage.org/fmkqjgoer/Statistics_Wimbledon.jpg

definitely Vika - no match to Masha vs Serena on grass, Petra can be more competitive with Serena, but Maria still has better first serve, much better second serve, beter ROS of Rena's rockets........

Masha on a good serving day potentially can make with Rena show of serves like Raonic-Querrey with TB-s decisive who will be the winner

NashaMasha
Jul 5th, 2012, 08:43 PM
When the main draw will be available?

26th July

jameshazza
Jul 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM
26th July

So long. :bigcry:

killerqueen
Jul 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM
:spit: I guess not being #1 is a good thing after all! :lol:

Stonerpova
Jul 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
:lol:
Anyway, between Wimbledon and the USO, what do think Maria has more chances to win?

Wimbledon. Neither are likely to happen again without some serious intervention by the draw gods though. The USO's surface suits Maria more than grass IMO, but there's little chance her serve will hold up for seven matches in the Arthur Ashe Windtunnel.

Charlatan
Jul 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Wimbledon. Neither are likely to happen again without some serious intervention by the draw gods though. The USO's surface suits Maria more than grass IMO, but there's little chance her serve will hold up for seven matches in the Arthur Ashe Windtunnel.

Can the USO only play at night? Maria has never lost a night match at USO so far :crying2:

It's crazy because the wind is not much there at night!

Advantage Me
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM
will there be a stream to watch it?,they never show the tennis portion of the Olympics here on tv.Tricky question. They will only show tennis in UK when Brits are playing as there are so many events to show that Brits take part in. I am hoping there will be a live stream too.

dsanders06
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Can the USO only play at night? Maria has never lost a night match at USO so far :crying2:

It's crazy because the wind is not much there at night!

Actually, maybe THIS is a good reason to hope she takes the #1 spot back - then the US Open would have an excuse to give her the night match everytime, just like Federer :angel:

dsanders06
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Tricky question. They will only show tennis in UK when Brits are playing as there are so many events to show that Brits take part in. I am hoping there will be a live stream too.

Last time BBC provided streams of the tennis on the Red Button and online, I'm sure they're even more likely to do it this time :shrug:

swissmr
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:45 PM
This is probably a really stupid question, but do players get ranking points at the Olympics? :lol:

Break My Rapture
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah I think so. I think the points distribution is close to Premier 5 points. But no prize money IIRC. ;)

Kinda random that we're getting a second Wimbledon. :lol:

jameshazza
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Now that she's won a Slam there's no reason why they won't Maria on at night. If Serena/kim are on the opposite half she will literally have zero competition for those spots. That said she'll more than likely have to play three day matches at least. Two in the first week and the SF. Given how she served in the wind at RG and now that she's covering her shots with a bit of spin to keep the errors down we can be cautiously optimistic. But there's a lot of road to the USO.

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM
It's actually only 685 ranking points for winning the Olympics.....yet another example of how fucked-up the ranking system is, they try to have us believe that winning the China Open is a bigger achievement than winning a gold medal :spit:

JoPova
Jul 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Since this has become our new chat thread, I want to say this to all my fellow Masha fans. I feel so ashamed! :lol:

I'm so sorry for not returning some your good reps, because I simply had no idea how that thing worked and I just learnt how to use it! I took me a couple of months! :lol:

Back on topic... Do we have a picture of Maria's OG dress already? :cheer:

perseus2006
Jul 7th, 2012, 12:48 AM
It's actually only 685 ranking points for winning the Olympics.....yet another example of how fucked-up the ranking system is, they try to have us believe that winning the China Open is a bigger achievement than winning a gold medal :spit:

Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended. It's a one-off tournament. So, the points given for Olympic Glory need to be in moderation so as not to destroy a player's ranking next year when Olympic points dissipate into thin air.

The China Open is an annual event. Points can be defended one year to the next under the same tournament conditions.

I don't recall the discussion about giving points for Olympic competition. I have questions why the decision was made to do that and I doubt there is a player on the roster that is participating because of the points. Just participating in the Olympic Games is Honor and Glory enough, regardless of medals and points.

You are raging all over the TF boards about the Ranking System and making some wildly outrageous assertions about it. The current WTA Ranking System is actually pretty darn good. I suggest you read through the Rules in the WTA site for a better understanding of why the system works the way it does.

The main thrust of the System is to get the Best players competing against one another at as many tournaments as possible to encourage long term rivalries, which makes the game more exciting for fans and will force the best players to really sharpen up their games. So, while many tournaments are now mandatory, others are off limits to the Top 10/20 to discourage MM Queens.

joćo.
Jul 7th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I want her to either win the Olympics, USO or YEC :cheer: No pressure though, career grand slam: check :cheer:

perseus2006
Jul 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I want her to either win the Olympics, USO or YEC :cheer: No pressure though, career grand slam: check :cheer:

I don't need much. Never one to be greedy. Always operate close in to the vest, grounded in reality. But, What I want is a different proposition. I want her to win all three! And for shits and skittles, throw in Montreal, Cinci, Tokyo and Beijing. That's what I want!

*smiles*

NashaMasha
Jul 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended.

who cares about defending points next year? Do you really think that players consider " Oh, No , I don't want 1500 points from Olympics because it will raise my ranking by 5 positions, thus i'd better take 650 points and increase my ranking only by 1 postion, Otherwise next year I won't be able do defend these points and it would be a disastrer"

In reality Olympic Champion should get a bonus for his performance and the fact that these points will be dropped in year doesn't have any significance ,

perseus2006
Jul 7th, 2012, 02:53 AM
who cares about defending points next year? Do you really think that players consider " Oh, No , I don't want 1500 points from Olympics because it will raise my ranking by 5 positions, thus i'd better take 650 points and increase my ranking only by 1 postion, Otherwise next year I won't be able do defend these points and it would be a disastrer"

In reality Olympic Champion should get a bonus for his performance and the fact that these points will be dropped in year doesn't have any significance ,

As I said, I don't think there is a player on the Olympic Roster that has even had a thought that points are given for participation, well, maybe Serenka. The fact that there are points is insignificant!

Participation in the Olympic Games Spectacle is the ultimate experience for an athlete. It is an incredible honor to be selected to represent your country and associate with the world's most gifted athletes from all fields. Being there as a participant is simply glorious.

Trih
Jul 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM
As I said, I don't think there is a player on the Olympic Roster that has even had a thought that points are given for participation, well, maybe Serenka. The fact that there are points is insignificant!

Participation in the Olympic Games Spectacle is the ultimate experience for an athlete. It is an incredible honor to be selected to represent your country and associate with the world's most gifted athletes from all fields. Being there as a participant is simply glorious.

This.
And even if the points are "only" 685, Olympic Gold is above every other tournament except Majors. :)

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM

:weirdo: This post....

If you get 2000 points for winning Olympics then how the hell will you defend 2000 points the year after? :weirdo:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Yes. To some it has a big significance. It can determine whether you'll be seeded at tournaments or not. How do you know what players think? Don't assume. :spit: You're not considering the lower ranked players at all.

**mashafierce**
Jul 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I would prefer a silver or a bronze medal and the USO title than a gold

JoPova
Jul 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I would prefer a silver or a bronze medal and the USO title than a gold

I totally agree with you! I know the importance of a Gold medal, Olympics and playing for your country. But I'd prefer Slam number 5 for Maria! ;)

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Maybe you should think a bit deeper and things won't be so fucked up. Olympic points cannot be defended. It's a one-off tournament. So, the points given for Olympic Glory need to be in moderation so as not to destroy a player's ranking next year when Olympic points dissipate into thin air.

The China Open is an annual event. Points can be defended one year to the next under the same tournament conditions.

I don't recall the discussion about giving points for Olympic competition. I have questions why the decision was made to do that and I doubt there is a player on the roster that is participating because of the points. Just participating in the Olympic Games is Honor and Glory enough, regardless of medals and points.

You are raging all over the TF boards about the Ranking System and making some wildly outrageous assertions about it. The current WTA Ranking System is actually pretty darn good. I suggest you read through the Rules in the WTA site for a better understanding of why the system works the way it does.

The main thrust of the System is to get the Best players competing against one another at as many tournaments as possible to encourage long term rivalries, which makes the game more exciting for fans and will force the best players to really sharpen up their games. So, while many tournaments are now mandatory, others are off limits to the Top 10/20 to discourage MM Queens.

:weirdo: This post....

If you get 2000 points for winning Olympics then how the hell will you defend 2000 points the year after? :weirdo:

I'm sorry, the "defending points" argument is AWFUL :lol: You say it like "the winner doesn't get a chance to defend their points" - but, after the 1-year period, it's not like they'll have less points than they otherwise would - they'll have simply been boosted in their ranking points for the 1 year after the Olympics (and rightly so), but once the points drop off, they'll still have the same amount of points than they would if the Olympics gave less/no points. :lol:

Imo, they should either not give any points for the Olympics atall (if they're going by the argument that a Gold is reward enough in itself and there shouldn't be ranking points aswell), or they should do it properly and make the points actually reflect the Olympics' significance for the players, i.e. the same amount of points for a Gold medal as a YEC win (1500 points). Like I said, as of now, the ranking system tries to have us believe it's less significant than the China Open, when in reality players consider it the year's 5th Slam. And let's face it, at the end of the year, in the GM debates about who the best player of the year is, posters WILL be using the Olympic Gold as an argument, they certainly won't be using the China Open as part of an argument for a player being the best of the year :lol:

denny5576
Jul 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM
There are some sports for which Olympic Games have not the same prestige and significance like for many other sports. Football and tennis are such sports. Any tennis tournament with 64 players is stronger than the Olympic tennis tournament.

**mashafierce**
Jul 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
There are some sports for which Olympic Games have not the same prestige and significance like for many other sports. Football and tennis are such sports. Any tennis tournament with 64 players is stronger than the Olympic tennis tournament.

I totally agree.As I said for me Grand Slam titles are much more important for Maria's legacy than olympic medals.But either one of them is welcome

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The Olympic games might not be of as much significance for Maria's career as a tennis player and her standing among the all time greats in tennis as the Grand Slams, but for Maria, the athlete, the sportswoman, they bear great significance for her standing among the all time greats in all sports. Let alone the value a medal would have for Maria the person, the competitor.

denny5576
Jul 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Personally for Maria these OG are very important. Maria and Serena are the only players who could make Golden Career Grand Slam (GCGS). If Serena will not win gold in London most probably never will make GCGS. Therefore Maria has a chance to achieve something which Serena never will.
The other point is also important. For the Russians Olympic medal means a lot. If Maria win gold medal in Russia it will be considered very high level achievement.
And the next point is even more important - Olympics are Maria's dream during many many years.
Considering all that I could say OG are more important for Maria than any other title till the end of the season.

NashaMasha
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:29 AM

don't compare olympic football and olympic tennis , Ronaldo, Messy, Iniesta, Pirlo and the best are not participating in Olympics , whereas Roger-Djoker-Rafa-Rena-Pova-Shara are all taking part in it........

It's a bad comparison

Stonerpova
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Obviously a medal would be great, but I'd much rather see Maria win another slam rather than the Olympics.

JamieOwen3
Jul 8th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I'll take both :oh:

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Obviously a medal would be great, but I'd much rather see Maria win another slam rather than the Olympics.

I agree, but I would rather see Maria take an Olympic Gold than any other NON-Slam (including the YEC) :shrug: And imo the ranking points should reflect this.

denny5576
Jul 8th, 2012, 04:25 AM
don't compare olympic football and olympic tennis , Ronaldo, Messy, Iniesta, Pirlo and the best are not participating in Olympics , whereas Roger-Djoker-Rafa-Rena-Pova-Shara are all taking part in it........

It's a bad comparison

Where did you see comparison between football and tennis in my post?

Ksenia.
Jul 8th, 2012, 06:20 AM
After all the times Maria has mentioned how important Olympics are for her personally and how it's been her dream since childhood, I really want her to win a gold medal.
It doesn't matter where it would put her in tennis history books and statistical reports, but it is pretty obvious that it would mean very much to Maria the person and that's what matters IMO.

Trih
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Where did you see comparison between football and tennis in my post?
Here:

I agree, tennis in olympic games is much more important than football

denny5576
Jul 8th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Here:

I agree, tennis in olympic games is much more important than football

May be I need to explain you what "comparison" mean...
My post does not contain any comparison between football and tennis.
Your post compares tennis to football.

Shivank17
Jul 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
For me, I would like her to win any medal at Olys, defend Cincy or win Montreal, make the QFs at least at USO :o and win YEC(and even Tokyo as bonus wont be minded). :angel:

Trih
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM
May be I need to explain you what "comparison" mean...
My post does not contain any comparison between football and tennis.
Your post compares tennis to football.

I misunderstood your post then, but anyway I meant that, for example, the olympic tournament in football is played by the "under 21" teams, while the olympic tournament for tennis is played by the best players. That's why an olympic medal in tennis has much more value than an olympic medal would have in football.

Tennisvampire
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
After all the times Maria has mentioned how important Olympics are for her personally and how it's been her dream since childhood, I really want her to win a gold medal.
It doesn't matter where it would put her in tennis history books and statistical reports, but it is pretty obvious that it would mean very much to Maria the person and that's what matters IMO.

This! :yeah: OG matter a lot to Maria, and I think winning a medal would not only bring her the utmost satisfaction, but it would also boost respect for her from some "suspicious" Russians, and creators of all the debates (like American based flag bearer etc.)

denny5576
Jul 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM
an olympic medal in tennis has much more value than an olympic medal would have in football.

that's correct, of course

Valkyre
Jul 9th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Maria I believe will be extremely hungry for these Olympics... It is something that eluded her for so long and now she has her ultimate chance. I believe her hunger is going to show and we can see something great unfold! Davai Maria!

princessmasha
Jul 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I had a serious doubt about the way she played during wimbledon. Very passive , it almost seemed like she hadnt realised its grass. So much spin on all shots , was easier for opponents to track down and hit flat winners ,which didnt do much good for her. The serve though a bit wobbly sometimes was still better than a lot of other parts.

IMO last year she played better and i am not talking about the result of making final/4th round.

For olympics if she intend to win a medal,she clearly would have to change her approach far away from RG-style shots to ore wim 11 or 06 kind

What do you guys think?

PS: i am no expert tbh , i watched her matches this year at W and seemed very much unlike her style of play.

MM_1257
Jul 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I had a serious doubt about the way she played during wimbledon. Very passive , it almost seemed like she hadnt realised its grass. So much spin on all shots , was easier for opponents to track down and hit flat winners ,which didnt do much good for her. The serve though a bit wobbly sometimes was still better than a lot of other parts.

IMO last year she played better and i am not talking about the result of making final/4th round.

I agree, last year she looked in better grass form... This year she was too passive... Too defensive, the fh was non-existent and the serve went to USA, and the footwork was bad... LOL I contribute that to her tiredness mental and physical... Will she be better in a few weeks? Dunno... She hasn't played many matches on grass so I am worried, maybe I worry for nothing, but I prefer to be careful...

princessmasha
Jul 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
http://www.fuebuena.com.ar/?p=18135 does maria have pics like these?? Any idea?

MM_1257
Jul 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM
hmmm... nice pics!!! If she had one, she'd be on that site, wouldn't she?

princessmasha
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:23 AM
hmmm... nice pics!!! If she had one, she'd be on that site, wouldn't she?

Hmm. I was kinda hoping that hers will be more exclusive or something:p

Crux Squall
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:54 AM

For olympics if she intend to win a medal,she clearly would have to change her approach far away from RG-style shots to ore wim 11 or 06 kind

What do you guys think?

PS: i am no expert tbh , i watched her matches this year at W and seemed very much unlike her style of play.
Agree with this.

ziros
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hopefully Serena will be too worn out if she plays in Stanford this week as well...

stegall
Jul 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Eh,she couldn't meet Serena until the final anyway...I would concentrate on Maria making it that far first..

Tennisvampire
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I came across this while I was reading some other news on a website. Just thought you would find it amusing: The Vulture will be Poland's flag bearer :lol: I find it hard to believe that such a country doesn't have someone more suitable:devil:

perseus2006
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Oh, just stop with all the "Vulture" crap! If you don't have something positive to say about someone, then don't say anything at all.

It's getting to be very unpleasant to come to the SS Forum.

ziros
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I find it strange that a lot of news sources have only been reporting that Maria is a flagbearer in the last 24 hours,it's old news...

Trih
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I think it's because it has been made official by the Russian federation yesterday. I saw the "old news" on sky sports too :p

Valkyre
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
What number is Russia in the Nations Parade? Do we know when they will come into the stadium? Will be a really epic moment to watch Maria represent Russia and carry the flag! It is such an honor for an athlete...!

JamieOwen3
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Can't wait to see her carry the flag, her face will be more lighten up than anyone else's judging by the RG ceremony and national anthem.

Qetusi
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I think it's because it has been made official by the Russian federation yesterday. I saw the "old news" on sky sports too :p

Right

Ksenia.
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:55 AM
What number is Russia in the Nations Parade? Do we know when they will come into the stadium? Will be a really epic moment to watch Maria represent Russia and carry the flag! It is such an honor for an athlete...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_Parade_of_Nations#Parade_orde r :)

Plenty of tennis players as flag bearers, too. Exciting stuff, I love looking for familiar faces during the Nations Parade.

Valkyre
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_Parade_of_Nations#Parade_orde r :)

Plenty of tennis players as flag bearers, too. Exciting stuff, I love looking for familiar faces during the Nations Parade.

Thank you very much. :)

Glad to see many players myself being flagbearers. Novak, Maria, Federer, Nadal... beautiful for tennis in general!

Qetusi
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thank you very much. :)

Glad to see many players myself being flagbearers. Novak, Maria, Federer, Nadal... beautiful for tennis in general!

Roger hasn't decided it yet

Valkyre
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Roger hasn't decided it yet

Ι dont think he will say no. He wants so badly the olympic gold and he always speaks highly of the olympics. And what better moment for him to be the flag bearer! New world no1 and got his 7th WB Slam only a week ago! I am pretty sure he will accept the honor! :)

AniaSharapova
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I still can't throw away from my head that Radwanska will be flag bearer too :help: We have so many better sportsmen than her in our country :tape:

Tennisvampire
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Oh, just stop with all the "Vulture" crap! If you don't have something positive to say about someone, then don't say anything at all.

It's getting to be very unpleasant to come to the SS Forum.

It's very well deserved on her behalf :o You are allowed not to like it, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Btw, why is Mirnyi carrying the flag for Belarus? I mean, she did explode this year and Max is an experienced doubles player, but isn't Vika their most valuable asset atm? :shrug:

lefty24
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
It's very well deserved on her behalf :o You are allowed not to like it, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Btw, why is Mirnyi carrying the flag for Belarus? I mean, she did explode this year and Max is an experienced doubles player, but isn't Vika their most valuable asset atm? :shrug:

It REALLY pisses me off that Vika isn't carrying the flag. I could understand If they picked someone that wasn't a tennis player, but the fact that they picked a tennis player that wasn't Vika, I just don't understand it.

Trih
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Maybe they thought Vika will likely play also the next OG, while Mirnyi won't.

JoPova
Jul 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
So many tennis players are flag bearers! I like this! :inlove:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
10 hours till the ESPYs. Can't wait for Redcarpetpova :inlove:

humanabstract
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Maria will definitely win in Best Female tennis player category. For two others I'm not sure

jameshazza
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:43 PM
10 hours till the ESPYs. Can't wait for Redcarpetpova :inlove:

Will I be able to get a stream in the UK? I think sport lemon normally shows some things like that. What channel will it be on in states?

Mistress of Evil
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have no idea. But as far as I know the event is organised by ESPN so I assume it should be broadcasted by it. :lol: Someone from the States must confirm.

stegall
Jul 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM
it's on espn tonight at 9et American time..just saw the commercial for it.

jameshazza
Jul 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM
it's on espn tonight at 9et American time..just saw the commercial for it.

Does that mean it's live.?

stegall
Jul 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Does that mean it's live.?

yes,i'm pretty sure there are some streams for it.

jameshazza
Jul 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM
yes,i'm pretty sure there are some streams for it.

Thanks. :cheer:

lefty24
Jul 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Aww I'm gonna have to miss the ESPYs. I can't wait to wake up and see the pics!

Trih
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Could you share a link if you find a stream? :p

stegall
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Could you share a link if you find a stream? :p

it comes on in like two hours..I found this site which shows espn 24/7 but i'm not sure if it works outside the US or not http://www.tvonlinelive.net/Watch/ESPN-Online-3584.html

Trih
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Seems working, thanks! :woohoo:

Tennisvampire
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM
It REALLY pisses me off that Vika isn't carrying the flag. I could understand If they picked someone that wasn't a tennis player, but the fact that they picked a tennis player that wasn't Vika, I just don't understand it.

This! I don't care if these are Max's last games, and by that I'm not saying that doubles are not important, but C'MON. She is their best player ever! Stupid decision IMO, they should have really selected Vika :shrug:

gc-spurs
Jul 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Yeah, Vuvurenka has achieved so much this past 12 months. Totally don't get it.

Shafanovic.
Jul 12th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Subscribe.

MM_1257
Jul 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
This! I don't care if these are Max's last games, and by that I'm not saying that doubles are not important, but C'MON. She is their best player ever! Stupid decision IMO, they should have really selected Vika :shrug:

Hmmm.. May I ask a rather delicate question? Has Belarus since the fall of USSR had a female flagbearer?

Tennisvampire
Jul 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hmmm.. May I ask a rather delicate question? Has Belarus since the fall of USSR had a female flagbearer?

How should I know? :shrug: I really hope that the reason that they haven't picked her is not because she is a woman :eek:

On the offside, Maria won the best female tennis player :cheer: And I'm kind of surprised (positively) that Novak did as well :hearts:

Tennisvampire
Jul 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM

I just checked Wikipedia, and there was never a female flag-bearer since Belarus became independent :( So sexist if that actually had an impact on their committee's decision :o

Oh, and I didn't know this, but apparently, Maria is Russia's first ever female flag-bearer :eek: Another history-making fact :oh:

MM_1257
Jul 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I didn't want to imply any sexism or anything here but I just remembered the fact that Maria is the first time female flag-bearer in USSR/Russia... So I wanted to know for Belarus.

Tennisvampire
Jul 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I didn't want to imply any sexism or anything here but I just remembered the fact that Maria is the first time female flag-bearer in USSR/Russia... So I wanted to know for Belarus.

Apparently, Belarus is an all-male club atm, at least when carrying the flag is considered :o

NashaMasha
Jul 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Rumor has it that Maria might play mixed with Dima Tursunov, but only if they qualify for it

Apparently, Belarus is an all-male club atm, at least when carrying the flag is considered
No, Max Mirnyi deserves this honour for his glorious career, nine Grand Slam titles in doubles/mixed. It's probably his last OG whereas Vika will have at least two more chances

Break My Rapture
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Maria in mixed doubles? :sobbing: GET IT.

humanabstract
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I will be happy if Maria wins any kind of medal, but if she wins two...:bounce::yippee::worship:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Please no...

humanabstract
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
But yeah, it's highly unlikely, Maria haven't played doubles for years. So.. in Tarpischev's dreams:lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Obviously, she will not participate. Hypothetically, if Tursunov was in decent form, they could have been a decent team considering their serves and having in mind that its only a 16-team-dram(not sure) most of which have never played mixed doubles together b4, they would have somewhat of a chance.

MM_1257
Jul 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Tarpischev speaks too much lately. Maria, please, do. not. play. doubles.

Tennisvampire
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Playing doubles would probably jeopardize her performance in singles, where she has a far better chance of winning a medal. So, even though I would selfishly love to see her play with somebody, I really think she should say no. She can play them at the next Olympics (provided that she plays for at least 4 more years :lol:).I trust that Maria will make a good decision ;)

JamieOwen3
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Safin :wavey: UNRETIRE for couple of weeks so u can play mixed with Maria. I don't care what Maria plays Singles Doubles or Mixed, MORE TIME WATCHING HER PLAY!!

Trih
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Safin :wavey: UNRETIRE for couple of weeks so u can play mixed with Maria. I don't care what Maria plays Singles Doubles or Mixed, MORE TIME WATCHING HER PLAY!!

If he was still playing that would have been a gold :sobbing:

lefty24
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Rumor has it that Maria might play mixed with Dima Tursunov, but only if they qualify for it

No, Max Mirnyi deserves this honour for his glorious career, nine Grand Slam titles in doubles/mixed. It's probably his last OG whereas Vika will have at least two more chances

Oh please you have no idea how many more Olympics Vika will play. Things happen. And flag bearers shouldnt be chosen because its their last year, they should be chosen because of how successful they.
Oh and btw Vika has a very successful doubles career. In mixed doubles she's won 2 slams and has had 1 final. In regular doubles she's been to 3 finals.
Vikas tennis career >>>>>> Max's tennis career, end of story.

gc-spurs
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM

THIS! But do a photoshoot first!

Tennisvampire
Jul 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Oh please you have no idea how many more Olympics Vika will play. Things happen. And flag bearers shouldnt be chosen because its their last year, they should be chosen because of how successful they.
Oh and btw Vika has a very successful doubles career. In mixed doubles she's won 2 slams and has had 1 final. In regular doubles she's been to 3 finals.
Vikas tennis career >>>>>> Max's tennis career, end of story.

This! :worship:

Queenpova
Jul 13th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Can anyone explain to me how the olympics work for tennis? how many players play? 64 right? are there seeds?

humanabstract
Jul 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Can anyone explain to me how the olympics work for tennis? how many players play? 64 right? are there seeds?

Yes, 64 players and 16 seeds.
Draw will be available on 26th of July. Tournament starts on 28th. Maria's first match will be on 29th.

princessmasha
Jul 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Yes, 64 players and 16 seeds.
Draw will be available on 26th of July. Tournament starts on 28th. Maria's first match will be on 29th.

Is the draw made in the same way as any other tournament draw , or are their special rules pertaining to nationality etc. ?

Shivank17
Jul 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I think same country players are placed away from each other. :unsure:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Playing doubles would probably jeopardize her performance in singles, where she has a far better chance of winning a medal. So, even though I would selfishly love to see her play with somebody, I really think she should say no. She can play them at the next Olympics (provided that she plays for at least 4 more years :lol:).I trust that Maria will make a good decision ;)
Not necessarily. It's good practice for her serve and her return. And she'll practice those in training sessions anyway. She could replace those practice sessions with playing doubles instead. And if she wins a medal it's not the same as doing well in doubles at a slam. At a slam winners in doubles are always a bit under the radar compared to the singles champs. But at the Olympics a medal is a medal, no matter what the event is.

humanabstract
Jul 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I think same country players are placed away from each other. :unsure:

Yeah, if there are 2 players, they should be in different halfs, if there are 4 players from one country, they should be in different quarters.

claypova
Jul 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
btw, when do we get to see Maria's olympic dress? or has it been released already? :scratch:

lefty24
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
btw, when do we get to see Maria's olympic dress? or has it been released already? :scratch:

I don't think it's been released yet. I don't know why since her US Open dresses are already released.

humanabstract
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hm.. Guys, Do players from one country suppose to play in the same form (dresses)?

Shivank17
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM
^No. And I guess they have a team jacket or something which they all wear in the medal ceremony. and of course same clothes for opening ceremony.

EDIT: What are the colors for Russian team at Olys? I thought they were Red and White, but iirc, Dinara wore Black and white and Lena D wore Blue/Black and white. :unsure:

MM_1257
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Masha will wear red and white IMO, the way she always does. Not sure if the big companies make the dresses based on team, if you take OG 2008 as an example Novak Djokovic had black and white (not Serbian colours), Ana was supposed to wear a black dress with white details - both were for Adidas... Nike always made for Maria red and white, same for Roger, I think they will go with that combo his year, too.

Shivank17
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM
yeah, even I thought that Russian players would wear Red and white. but the fact that Elena D and Dinara didn't in 08 confused me. Maria looks good in anything and I like those, but I wish its something special for Olys. :)

dsanders06
Jul 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't have a good feeling about the Olympics. :o This Wimbledon really sapped any belief that she's going to ever do anything significant on grass again. Even though her recent record there would suggest otherwise, I'm still feeling her chances at the US Open are better.