PDA

View Full Version : UEFA EURO 2012 - Spain - Italy: Spain trounced Italy 4-0, Dominating Performance

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Will Spain Make History?
Or will Italy knock the sandal out of the headline and restore credibility to Italian football?

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM
Although I have not warmed to posession football because of its enforced uniformity and undermining of traditional striker, I must say I respect Spain performance.

Mary Cherry.
Jul 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
I was thinking Italy would snatch it today but that goal from Spain just reminded us they still have that bit of magic left in them.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
I was thinking Italy would snatch it today but that goal from Spain just reminded us they still have that bit of magic left in them.
It is not over by any strech.
Reemember the 2 goals against Germany, they were both on fast break attack by Italy

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Half-time
Spain 2- Italy 0

Direwolf
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Since Nadal lose!! Spain would be pressured to Win something!!...

Head says Spain....
Heart says Spain...
but I think Italy can do a Kvitova..

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
what team was the most dissapoiting in this tournament?

I pick England, besides Rooney, the team was lackluster

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Since Nadal lose!! Spain would be pressured to Win something!!...

Head says Spain....
Heart says Spain...
but I think Italy can do a Kvitova..
Spain is giving a beatdown to Italy as if Rosol, who upset Nadal, was from Italy.

Halardfan
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM

I didn't find England disappointing, our play was merely business as usual.

I certainly wouldn't say "besides Rooney"...Rooney has seldom reproduced his United form for England and certainly didn't here.

To be disappointing, one has to have high expectations in the first place...hence maybe the Dutch would be my pick.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Now the debate starts?
Is this Spain the best team ever assembled?

How about Brzailian team of Pele?

fifty-fifty
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Now the debate starts?
Is this Spain the best team ever assembled?

How about Brzailian team of Pele?

They're very efficient, but not very exciting.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
I didn't find England disappointing, our play was merely business as usual.

I certainly wouldn't say "besides Rooney"...Rooney has seldom reproduced his United form for England and certainly didn't here.

To be disappointing, one has to have high expectations in the first place...hence maybe the Dutch would be my pick.
So are you saying this is the best England can do? Pretty low expectation I might say.

Petkovic
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM

I'd say Holland. Losing finalist in the WC losing all three of their matches. :tape:

Amazing performance by Spain. Balotelli is such a dickhead. :o

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
They're very efficient, but not very exciting.
Agreed. Dutifully efficient.
But since the winner always sets the trend, I am affriad other European teams will start copying this style and drive fans away in compeition of less prestige.

olivero
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Great ending to a great tournament :worship:
Espana :cheer:

Javi.
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have no words :sobbing:
So f***ing proud. :hysteric:
Spectacular, Goat Performance today. We've made history.

I hope this time nobody complains about how boring is Spain's game :oh:

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have no words :sobbing:
So f***ing proud. :hysteric:
Spectacular. We've made history.
Congratulations, very convincing overal performance througout tournament

I hope this time nobody complains about how boring is Spain's game :oh:
Probably not today, but I am sure it will come later, after the celebration.:)

Pvt. Kovalenko
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM
Very convincing victory of Spain, today. That's the way of play, that makes me love this team.. :worship: Don't know why, they hide it for so long..

Very unlucky for Prandelli and Italy, that Thiago Motta suffered a injury, few minutes after get in the field.. That was the final blow for Italy..

Halardfan
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
So are you saying this is the best England can do? Pretty low expectation I might say.

Our national team is only ocassionally any good, and this squad was one of the weakest in years...how many world class players do we have? Gerrard...Joe Hart...that might be it. Rooney is rarely world class for England.

The club game is the priority for most in England, we have a great tradition in the club game...our national team is not in the front rank though.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Our national team is only ocassionally any good, and this squad was one of the weakest in years...how many world class players do we have? Gerrard...Joe Hart...that might be it. Rooney is rarely world class for England.

The club game is the priority for most in England, we have a great tradition in the club game...our national team is not in the front rank though.
Yeah I get it.

it explain why the enthusiasm is overwhelming for club competition... and some time a little annoying it spill over to indvidual foreign players when they go back and play for their national teams.

I read some English posters comment expressing that player X might get hurt and tired playing for his country, inferring the said player will be of diminished use when he goes back to his club.

Halardfan
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah I get it.

it explain why the enthusiasm is overwhelming for club competition... and some time a little annoying it spill over to indvidual foreign players when they go back and play for their national teams.

I read some English posters comment expressing that player X might get hurt and tired playing for his country, inferring the said player will be of diminished use when he goes back to his club.

The most devoted England fans tend to be from places with either small professional clubs or only Amateur clubs. For most fans of bigger English teams, the national side are very much second best.

For me, my feeling for my club, City, is a hundred times that for the national team. I cheered more for individual City players this tournament than the England side.

Speaking of which, congrats to Silva and Ballotelli for both having great tournaments, and to Spain on a deserved win.

Martian Jeza
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
That Chelsea FC 4th goal :drool:

ALIEN
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:09 PM
And Spain will probably win the World Cup again in 2014.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Highly probable now.

Other national teams will try to copy their style, but will fail because they don'thave enough time nor the kind of players Spain has to field a viable and competitive team playing uber possession football

ys
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Best team ever.

fifty-fifty
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM

I hope not. I want South American team to win this time.

ALIEN
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
And who's going to stop them? The Brazilian team is not what it used to be.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately, Brazilians have lost their identity since they send all heir players to Europe.

No team can beat Spain copying their style, maybe Germany its individual strikers, long balls, physicality has a chance.
Spanish players are small and less physical, however their ability to always outnumber the opponent around the ball, and coupled with an the outstanding technical gift to handle the ball in small spaces with speed precision and and one-touch passes is their best asset.

Germany is the only team that can stretch them with longer passes and cut of the time to allow them to converge toward the ball like a "ants colony."
Once they mark the space around the ball, they move the ball on the ground like a prey and do not let anyone else take control of it.

ALIEN
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately, Brazilians have lost their identity since they send all heir players to Europe.

No team can beat Spain copying their style, maybe Germany its individual strikers, long balls, physicality has a chance.
Spanish players are small and less physical, however their ability to always outnumber the opponent around the ball couple an the outstanding technical gift to handle the ball in small spaces with speed precision and and one-touch passes is their best asset.

Germany is the only team that can stretch them with longer passes and cut of the time to allow them to converge toward the ball like a "ants colony."
Once they mark the space around the ball, they move the ball on the ground like a prey and do not let anyone else take control of it.

You are probably right but who knows how the German team will look in two years time.

wayitis
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM

Spanish players are small and less physical, however their ability to always outnumber the opponent around the ball couple an the outstanding technical gift to handle the ball in small spaces with speed precision and and one-touch passes is their best asset.

Spain is definitely the team to beat right now and will have a huge advantage if other teams try to copy its well oiled style of playing... I also think that Germany is the only European team that could upset them and aside of that, I still believe they are vulnerable to a highly offensive team, something that I hope both Brazil and Argentina could produce... It si interesting to note that Spain has not faced those 3 opponents in an official competition for this long dominating time, and were actually slaughtered in a friendly in Buenos Aires right after their World Cup victory and with all their champions... The ARgentinean side, which is now trying to copy the Barcelona style, is not impressive collectively, but it will probably take the supreme individual skills of a football genius to strike this Spanish side fatally, something that Argentina is one of the only teams to have right now in Messi... As for Brazil, we do not really know what will be of their team in 2014, they are doing the right thing and rennovating the squad with some very talented youngsters, like Neymar and Ganso, but questions remain if they will be ready on time...

Melange
Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:05 AM

Spanish players are small and less physical, however their ability to always outnumber the opponent around the ball, and coupled with an the outstanding technical gift to handle the ball in small spaces with speed precision and and one-touch passes is their best asset.

their literally "unbelievable and superhuman stamina" like Nadal and Contador

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
Spain is definitely the team to beat right now and will have a huge advantage if other teams try to copy its well oiled style of playing... I also think that Germany is the only European team that could upset them and aside of that, I still believe they are vulnerable to a highly offensive team, something that I hope both Brazil and Argentina could produce... It si interesting to note that Spain has not faced those 3 opponents in an official competition for this long dominating time, and were actually slaughtered in a friendly in Buenos Aires right after their World Cup victory and with all their champions... The ARgentinean side, which is now trying to copy the Barcelona style, is not impressive collectively, but it will probably take the supreme individual skills of a football genius to strike this Spanish side fatally, something that Argentina is one of the only teams to have right now in Messi... As for Brazil, we do not really know what will be of their team in 2014, they are doing the right thing and rennovating the squad with some very talented youngsters, like Neymar and Ganso, but questions remain if they will be ready on time...
You are right about Argentina's supreme individual skills, but they tend to keep the ball too long and run into each other at times.

Despite Spain impressive performance, I personally do not wish African or South American teams to attempt to copy their style... for one and only one reason .
The style tends to enforce conformity and uniformity.. discouraging inviduality

African and South American football DNA is based on individuality, creativity, improvisation, where strikers play a central role and delight the fans on both continents.
Most strikers have built-in eagerness and urge to move north-south (rather than east-west; north-south and in between) with the ball. have limited ability to handle the ball with precision and rarely reach their target when they have to make short, fast passes in small spaces.
Traditional strikers have neither the patience, nor the predisposition to fool around once they are in the red zone.

Of course you can re-train a striker to fit in uber possession-based style like Spain, but that has unintended consequences of killing their striker instincts. Striker are programmed to be predators, they don't (want to) wast time once they see their prey.

Brazil is in search of a new identity. After they lost with coach Guga, who favor efficiency over beautiful , creative , individualistic style, I am not sure they have settled on anything yet.
They have lost the aura they once had, the individual talent is not as deep as it once was.

ys
Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
African and South American football DNA is based on individuality, creativity, improvisation, where strikers play a central role and delight the fans on both continents.

That will not longer work, just like S&V in tennis.
Tennis ( and , of course, I mean , men's tennis ) moved to the situation where you have to play a total game - you can't win based on only attack or defense. You have to be able to attack at the first opportunity and be very effective at that. You also have to have extraordinary defensive skills. Top 3 are like that, others lag behind simply because they are not like that.
Soccer comes to the same point, where the game finally became total - pushing ideas of the classics of total football ( Lobanovski, Michels ) to another level. You have to be all - technical perfection to do whatever you need to do with a ball, athletism - to be able to withstand any kind of physical struggle, stamina - to be able to execute any required level of pressing as well as provide a level of movement to escape the opponent's pressing, team cohesion - to make sure that 1+1 does equal to 3, not to 1.5 ( which is typical for African teams ). If you are not topnotch in any of that - someone who is will beat you. Total game. It won't take any less.

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:55 AM
That will not longer work, just like S&V in tennis.
Tennis ( and , of course, I mean , men's tennis ) moved to the situation where you have to play a total game - you can't win based on only attack or defense. You have to be able to attack at the first opportunity and be very effective at that. You also have to have extraordinary defensive skills. Top 3 are like that, others lag behind simply because they are not like that.
Soccer comes to the same point, where the game finally became total - pushing ideas of the classics of total football ( Lobanovski, Michels ) to another level. You have to be all - technical perfection to do whatever you need to do with a ball, athletism - to be able to withstand any kind of physical struggle, stamina - to be able to execute any required level of pressing as well as provide a level of movement to escape the opponent's pressing, team cohesion - to make sure that 1+1 does equal to 3, not to 1.5 ( which is typical for African teams ). If you are not topnotch in any of that - someone who is will beat you. Total game. It won't take any less.
I should just remind you Chelsea beat Barcelona this year. so the uber possession football has its limit.

As I stated earlier, superior physicality and long balls ( Germany, Portugal) can overcome this particular Spain team.
Like in tennis, rivals would develop their own strategy, (NOT copy the novel opponent's game ), to neutralize opponent novel playing style

Roddick booming serve come to mind.

National Football team always have had a tradition of building on their own long standing identity/foundation; I don't see Germany, Portugal, English, Italy moving toward this model.
Maybe The Netherlands could attempt it, having a history of success with something similar to it.. I should note it never caught fire with other countries

Anyway, we shall see in the next 4-6 years

ys
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM
I should just remind you Chelsea beat Barcelona this year. so the uber possession football has its limit.

That was an exception that kind of proves the rule rather than disproves it.

As I stated earlier, superior physicality and long balls ( Germany, Portugal) can overcome this particular Spain team.

Did they? I mean .. three majors in a row .. in soccer of all sports .. is phenomenal. It means that this team is currently only beatable by accident, not by the odds.

Like in tennis, rivals would develop their own strategy, (NOT copy the novel opponent's game ), to neutralize opponent novel playing style

I said nothing about strategy. Neither I said about style. What I said that if you are missing even one of those four components - technical perfection, athletism, stamina and team mechanics, you won't stand much of a chance against this Spanish team. It does not mean that what you build on those four mandatories has to be a Spnish model. It does not.

Roddick booming serve come to mind.

And how much did he won? The only person who managed to break the FND triopoly for GS is Del Potro. And that in 7.5 f@ckng years, out of 30 Slams. Simply because they play total tennis.

National Football team always have had a tradition of building on their own long standing identity/foundation; I don't see Germany, Portugal, English, Italy moving toward this model.

Sure. But they lacked some crucial elements and that proved decisive. I don't see England emerging from mediocrity any time soon. I don't see Portugal being much of a threat unless they stop being a one man system. Italy actually made a step towards the same model. So did Germany. But they are still vastly physically inferior to Spain.

I see Spain dominating for several more years. The only power that will be able to really challenge them - if properly coached - being, of course, Brazil.

wta_zuperfann
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:18 AM
Game officials did a great job by calling it down the middle.

Halardfan
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM

Did they? I mean .. three majors in a row .. in soccer of all sports .. is phenomenal. It means that this team is currently only beatable by accident, not by the odds.

I said nothing about strategy. Neither I said about style. What I said that if you are missing even one of those four components - technical perfection, athletism, stamina and team mechanics, you won't stand much of a chance against this Spanish team. It does not mean that what you build on those four mandatories has to be a Spnish model. It does not.

And how much did he won? The only person who managed to break the FND triopoly for GS is Del Potro. And that in 7.5 f@ckng years, out of 30 Slams. Simply because they play total tennis.

Sure. But they lacked some crucial elements and that proved decisive. I don't see England emerging from mediocrity any time soon. I don't see Portugal being much of a threat unless they stop being a one man system. Italy actually made a step towards the same model. So did Germany. But they are still vastly physically inferior to Spain.

I see Spain dominating for several more years. The only power that will be able to really challenge them - if properly coached - being, of course, Brazil.

I like Spain's style of play, their nearest equivalent in the Premier League would be Arsenal...they can both frustrate by pass too much and over complicating things. However at their best they play beautiful football.

On a side note, I think the global popularity of the Premier League suggests that people want a blend of styles, the passion and aggression of the English players, with the refined influence of more talented foreign imports. It's a formula that works.

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
I disagree.

Portugal, with its physicality, came close to beating Spain

That is a statement hard to disapprove

I don't subscribe to the notion that all the teams have to have the same fundamentals at the same level as your listed here.
This is still a sport where outcome is based on the players actually scoring , unlike gymnastic where score is based on judges evaluation of technical requirements. categories

IAnd how much did he won? The only person who managed to break the FND triopoly for GS is Del Potro. And that in 7.5 f@ckng years, out of 30 Slams. Simply because they play total tennis.
He won USO, and made Wimbledon final, only to be stopped by Federer by simply blocking his serve.
Federer did not have to develop a booming serve of his own, nor change his serve to technique that of Roddick. He developed a strategy to neutralize Roddick.
Other players caught on develop their own game to play Roddick.

In football, I believe other teams will be able to find an anditot to Spain game w/o cloning Spain techniques... both at collective and individual levels.

You are right about England, they have no serious focus on their national team.
I do think Germany has the best chance , followed by Portugal as a distant second.

Swedish always surprises, so maybe they could pull off one those "accidental wins" they have become known for in the past.

II see Spain dominating for several more years. The only power that will be able to really challenge them - if properly coached - being, of course, Brazil.
We shall see, I say in 4-6 years.

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:41 AM
On a side note, I think the global popularity of the Premier League suggests that people want a blend of styles, the passion and aggression of the English players, with the refined influence of more talented foreign imports. It's a formula that works.

I agree with you 100%.
It is precisely these attributes , passion, aggression that attract and keep fans interested around the globe.
Spain efficiency helps the team win, but lack drama and passion.

In the "best team ever" debate , people voting against Spain will w/o doubt hold this(lack of excitement) against Spain when they chose Brazil.
Unlike Brazil, Spain does not have lot of memorable highlights of individual exploits

Beat
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
that was very good! :inlove: congratulations, spain!!!

p.s. but did they really have to show off their small children like that? how corny.

Martian Jeza
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:58 AM

Belgium :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :help:

Javi.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM

That was a friendly match. Portugal also won 4-0 less than one year ago.
And until this Eurocup Spain had never beaten neither Italy nor France in a official match. And both were easily beaten.
You never know when this amazing streak ends so we can just enjoy as long as it lasts.
Spain Team has some impressive stats/trivia:
Casillas has not received a goal in an eliminatory match of a Eurocup/World Cup from 2006 (including 3 overtime). Also, he has stopped 33% of the penalty Shootout (non counting those which were out), not only with Spain but including Real Madrid as well. Also he is the first football player ever to reach 100 win with his national team.
Torres is the first player ever to score goal in two different Eurocup finals.
Del Bosque is the only coach to have won Eurocup, World Cup, Champions League.
Ramos is the youngest european player to reach 90th match with his national team. (Edit: He has 92 matches so far. He should beat Podolski as the youngest european to reach 100th, if he plays 8 more matches before 04/12/2013)
Spain is the first team to win Back to back Euro cup and the first won to win three consecutive big championships (Euro, World Cup, Euro)
And with 3 Eurocup is now tied with Germany as the top Eurocup winners.
Spain is tied with Netherlands and France as the team with more consecutive official matches won.
Also, is tied with Brasil as the team with more consecutive matches not lost.

:bowdown:

tennismaster8820
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Congrats to Spain, I knew they would win it since the start of EC. :yeah:

Seems like Croatia was in group of death. :(

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
That was a friendly match. Portugal also won 4-0 less than one year ago.
And until this Eurocup Spain had never beaten neither Italy nor France in a official match. And both were easily beaten.
You never know when this amazing streak ends so we can just enjoy as long as it lasts.
Spain Team has some impressive stats/trivia:
Casillas has not received a goal in an eliminatory match of a Eurocup/World Cup from 2006 (including 3 overtime). Also, he has stopped 33% of the penalty Shootout (non counting those which were out), not only with Spain but including Real Madrid as well. Also he is the first football player ever to reach 100 win with his national team.
Torres is the first player ever to score goal in two different Eurocup finals.
Del Bosque is the only coach to have won Eurocup, World Cup, Champions League.
Ramos is the youngest european player to reach 90th match with his national team. (Edit: He has 92 matches so far. He should beat Podolski as the youngest european to reach 100th, if he plays 8 more matches before 04/12/2013)
Spain is the first team to win Back to back Euro cup and the first won to win three consecutive big championships (Euro, World Cup, Euro)
And with 3 Eurocup is now tied with Germany as the top Eurocup winners.
Spain is tied with Netherlands and France as the team with more consecutive official matches won.
Also, is tied with Brasil as the team with more consecutive matches not lost.

:bowdown:

From this day forward, Spain will only solidify their legacy with each win.
Whether they are at this point the best team ever, too early to tell.

Nacho
Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
cuteness overload :D

http://i.minus.com/iLZkzNwiHEoAC.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibfDy0rLlXVqQd.gif

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Can someone please post Spain team photos of
Euro 2008
World Cup 2010
Euro 2012
I would really appreciate it as good visual reference for the Spanish domination

MS
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
http://estaticos02.marca.com/imagenes/2012/07/01/futbol/eurocopa_2012/espana/1341173813_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

Dave.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Congrats España!!! Easily the hottest best team. :yeah:

Sammo
Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://static1.cuantocabron.com/ccs/2012/06/CC_1499439_kidding_me_espana_que_gran_pais.jpg

Ellery
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Italy :sobbing:

ys
Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:54 AM

This argument would fly 5-6 years ago. But now? Many soccer fans agree that EPL is the second grade stuff. And the league to watch is Primera. Spanish superclassico is now more popular than Champions League finals or Euro finals, leave alone whatever EPL has. 5-6 years Man United was the brand. And now? Two Spanish superbrands are totally unparalleled in the world.
Things change. In 90s the league to watch was clearly Serie A. In most of 0s it was EPL. Now it is Primera. Things change. And they will.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
Espana!!! :hysteric:

olivero
Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
XcZKWYBS9Sg
:)

Martian Jeza
Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
Torres and Mata ( Chelsea FC ) are the only ones winning Euro and Champions League with Luis Suarez ( Inter Milan 1964 ( Spanish also ) ( Champions Cup ) ) the same year. For the records.

spiceboy
Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Torres and Mata ( Chelsea FC ) are the only ones winning Euro and Champions League with Luis Suarez ( Inter Milan 1964 ( Spanish also ) ( Champions Cup ) ) the same year. For the records.

Both Torres and Mata are actually current European and World Champions (country) and European Champions (team) :worship: