PDA

View Full Version : THE (lack of effective) LEADERSHIP DILEMMA

pov
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
"THE LEADERSHIP DILEMMA
Thirty years of work throughout the world with leaders in the fields of industry and government, education and health has convinced me that too many of the problems in societies today stem from leadership that is ill prepared to deal with present complexity. This is not just a matter of inadequate training in the realities of global change, but even more tragically, a lack of human resourcefulness, leaders living out of a field of awareness that limits their abilities to deal with their world. Too many leaders have been educated for a different time, a different world. Few are prepared for the task of dealing with the complexity and chaos of today when the usual formulas and stopgap solutions of an earlier era will not help. What is worse is the frequency with which leaders avoid working co-creatively with their constituents, thus continuing models of dependency and social apathy.

Worldwide, societies are crying for assistance in the transformation of their citizens, organizations, and institutions. New ways of looking at leadership are required, as well as new methods of developing human beings eager to serve humanity. "

Your thoughts?

pov
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
I agree with this 100%. When I look at nation-states and/or communities there are few leaders who are both visionary and truly caring. Most simply cycle through approaches and ideas that were barely appropriate decades ago.

*JR*
Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
I agree with this 100%. When I look at nation-states and/or communities there are few leaders who are both visionary and truly caring. Most simply cycle through approaches and ideas that were barely appropriate decades ago.

As with many things said or written by the author here (Jean Houston, former head of the Association for Humanistic Psychology) few would disagree with her general point. But ova the years, my reaction to her work has often been like: OK. Now what? Like many who pontificate on "the big picture", Dr. Houston says a lot of things that almost anyone can agree with, but don't really lead anywhere. :shrug:

pov
Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
As with many things said or written by the author here (Jean Houston, former head of the Association for Humanistic Psychology) few would disagree with her general point. But ova the years, my reaction to her work has often been like: OK. Now what? Like many who pontificate on "the big picture", Dr. Houston says a lot of things that almost anyone can agree with, but don't really lead anywhere. :shrug:
:facepalm: Speaking of not visionary. The reason I left of the author's name is because I wanted the tread to be about the ideas in those two paragraphs. Not about Houston and her approaches to those ideas. Which IMO is irrelevant. Correctly realizing that a building is crumbling doesn't mean that one also has a workable way to shore it up. That's the point of sharing a viewpoint and then discussing it. But hey, far be it from you to let the chance of directed discourse spoil your "jumping up in class screaming I know who wrote that, I know who wrote that" moment. ;)

*JR*
Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
:facepalm:

Speaking of not visionary. The reason I left of the author's name is because I wanted the thread to be about the ideas in those two paragraphs. Not about Houston and her approaches to those ideas. Which IMO is irrelevant. Correctly realizing that a building is crumbling doesn't mean that one also has a workable way to shore it up. That's the point of sharing a viewpoint and then discussing it. But hey, far be it from you to let the chance of directed discourse spoil your "jumping up in class screaming I know who wrote that, I know who wrote that" moment. ;)

Oh come on now! :lol: Jean Houston, PhD is hardly controversial; its not like you needed to sneak in something wise that lets say Louis Farrakhan once said, for the author's notoriety not 2B a distraction. [Louie is a sharp guy, and Philly's then Mayor Ed Rendell (who's Jewish, BTW) brought him there in the late 90s to help pacify a racial controversy.]

The problem is that bland generalities like her words that you posted, umm... say nothing more profound than: "Hey, the sky is blue" (on a sunny day). :shrug: That you got no other replies kind of shows that. Furthermore, the start is worded almost as a sales pitch Jean wrote to drum up some new consulting business:

"Thirty years of work throughout the world with leaders in the fields of industry and government, education and health has convinced me that too many of the problems in societies today stem from leadership that is ill prepared to deal with present complexity..."

I think Alaska's ex-Governess could give essentially the same lament Dr. Houston did here about the failure of leadership in today's major centers of power... you betcha! (And do it in a more engaging way). :p