PDA

View Full Version : A semester in the US, where to go?

Fantasy Hero
Jun 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
thank you everybody, sadly because of great italian burocracy i can't apply for the exchange program even if there are still 2 months before the deadline, because my university would need at least 3 to proceed with all the papers and this :facepalm: I really have to say, that italian organization never fails to amaze me :lol:
well now i have more time to check for all the postgraduate journalism majors to apply next year once i graduate here :) thank you again for the help ;)

hi everybody :lol:
to make a long story short, after my exam of american literature my teacher suggested me to go and have a semester in the USA, he then gave me a brouchure of this exchange program called ISEP. Since i'm planning to have my master degree done in the US i think it may be a wise idea to try the US system before...
well since i might need to keep my ski world ranking up in order to get a little scholarship for the future application i thought i might have a couple of ski races in north america too, so i cut down the choices to the New England states and those are the available schools:

-University of Vermont (Vermont)
-Hampshire College (Massachussetts)*
-St Lawrence University (New York)
-St Joseph's college of Maine (Maine)*
-Saint Peter's College (New Jersey)*

*do not have a ski team

do any of you guys have any idea of how those schools are etc? i know quite much only about the first one as i've been there once and it looks like perfect since it's quite nice, the town is really lovely and well served by planes and it's close to a lot of ski resorts...

thanks in advance for the help :)
Gaspa

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Well, usually they don't give athletic scholarships to grad students, but you'll be able to get good research assistance, grading and teaching assistant jobs as a grad student. But if you want to ski, that's still cool.

I don't know anything about any of those programs, but I'm sure there are some good ones there.

edificio
Jun 25th, 2012, 01:00 AM
hi everybody :lol:
to make a long story short, after my exam of american literature my teacher suggested me to go and have a semester in the USA, he then gave me a brouchure of this exchange program called ISEP. Since i'm planning to have my master degree done in the US i think it may be a wise idea to try the US system before...
well since i might need to keep my ski world ranking up in order to get a little scholarship for the future application i thought i might have a couple of ski races in north america too, so i cut down the choices to the New England states and those are the available schools:

-University of Vermont (Vermont)
-Hampshire College (Massachussetts)*
-St Lawrence University (New York)
-St Joseph's college of Maine (Maine)*
-Saint Peter's College (New Jersey)*

*do not have a ski team

do any of you guys have any idea of how those schools are etc? i know quite much only about the first one as i've been there once and it looks like perfect since it's quite nice, the town is really lovely and well served by planes and it's close to a lot of ski resorts...

thanks in advance for the help :)
Gaspa

Of those schools, I would choose Hampshire College, because it is more of an alternative school, with more unconventional people (maybe unconventional in a coventional way, depends upon your perspective), and the location is very nice. If not that school, which is a private college, by the way, I'd probably go for the University of Vermont, as the location is wonderful and skiing is definitely possible, easily. Also, it is a public school, so cheaper than Hampshire College. A dear friend of mine went to St. Lawrence University and hated it. Hated it! He transferred. That probably was because he came from NYC, and the school (and location) was extremely conservative and even provincial (small townish). He is gay (at the time, he felt very alone, probably different now). That doesn't mean you would have such a bad experience. I wouldn't go to school in New Jersey unless it was Princeton, though a friend of mine hated it there! Snobby me. As for St. Joseph's College school in Maine, town might be small and provincial. I don't know much about that school.

Anyway, maybe that was helpful, maybe not. Sorry. Good luck on your decision!

wild.river
Jun 25th, 2012, 02:08 AM
University of Vermont or Hampshire College

both are great! i'd pick the latter though because i think amherst > burlington.

definitely don't go to saint peter's college. jersey city sucks, imho :o

ptkten
Jun 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM
University of Vermont or Hampshire College

both are great! i'd pick the latter though because i think amherst > burlington.

definitely don't go to saint peter's college. jersey city sucks, imho :o

Yeah, but it's not like you have to live in Jersey City; Hoboken and NYC are literally five minutes away so it's actually a great location.

I'm pretty sure University of Vermont would be your best bet though if you don't mind being a little bit isolated. It's a great college town, probably the best school academically, and you're close to a lot of ski resorts.

Super Dave
Jun 25th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Yeah, but it's not like you have to live in Jersey City; Hoboken and NYC are literally five minutes away so it's actually a great location.

I'm pretty sure University of Vermont would be your best bet though if you don't mind being a little bit isolated. It's a great college town, probably the best school academically, and you're close to a lot of ski resorts.

This; more well known, too; better curb appeal. That's where I'd go.

Fantasy Hero
Jun 25th, 2012, 06:56 AM
thanks everyone for the comments, as i said i've been to Burlington and i really loved the town, moreover the university is really a few steps away from the downtown and my bff lives a few miles away, I've checked their programs and they have really interesting curses and i think i can get most of them accepted in my uni as well once i get back at the end of the semester.
My sole doubt was about the ski team, which is much better than my current world ranking, which due to injuries has quite dropped, but probably it's time to call it a carreer and focus on school :lol:
thanks again :)

Fantasy Hero
Jun 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM
thank you everybody, sadly because of great italian burocracy i can't apply for the exchange program even if there are still 2 months before the deadline, because my university would need at least 3 to proceed with all the papers and this :facepalm: I really have to say, that italian organization never fails to amaze me :lol:
well now i have more time to check for all the postgraduate journalism majors to apply next year once i graduate here :) thank you again for the help ;)

Vartan
Jun 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Good luck! :wavey:

Super Dave
Jun 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear :( Best of luck on the next go-round.

wild.river
Jun 30th, 2012, 03:18 AM
that sucks :mad:
but i hope you enjoy yourself in italy to the fullest extent!!