PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on why Sharapova isn't playing any Wimbledon tuneups?

pov
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Most years before 2011 she played Birmingham. Why the change in approach?

GrandMartha
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM
- She just had two weeks full of tennis, so some rest would help.
- She (almost) never played in the week before a slam.

madmax
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM
because
-there's no point wasting energy to beat up on some scrubs
-practicing with male hitting partner is probably much more benefitting in a long run anyway

canadia
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
She's probably "dog tired" and could use the break. She made it to the end of the 3 previous tournaments. What other player could boast that? :hi5:

18majors
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
She's probably "dog tired" and could use the break. She made it to the end of the 3 previous tournaments. What other player could boast that? :hi5:

Technically, Maria didn't make it to the end of Madrid.

canadia
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Technically, Maria didn't make it to the end of Madrid.

okay 3 of the last 4!

Kon.
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM
It would have been too much tennis for her if she played a tournament before Wimbledon this year. And she wouldn't really gain anything much.

stegall
Jun 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
She's played the Birmingham one some in years past..It's good she didn't this year..was a mess with all the rain delays etc..

ziros
Jun 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM
She never played so many matches on clay before ahead of the grass season

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2012, 10:35 PM
She doesn't need one. She did very well at last year's Wimbledon and this year's Australian without playing any warm-ups, so she's obviously found an effective pre-Slam routine. And even if she doesn't go in with any grasscourt matches under her belt, she's had PLENTY of matchplay this year (I think her matches so far this year is a personal record for this early in the year), so she certainly isn't going to be rusty from a mental standpoint.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think we'll only see her play Birmingham again if she loses early at RG one year (and let's be honest, Claypova won't be losing early :cool: :p ).

MashaFan01
Jun 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
She didn't play any last year and reached the finals - So maybe she (or her coach) thinks that it is a good approach for her?

Stonerpova
Jun 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Because she needs a break to come down from Paris. It's probably got more to do with emotional exhausiton than anything else :shrug:

gc-spurs
Jun 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Because she won Rome in 2011 and 2012 and then went far in RG. She'd probably love to play Birmingham, we all know she loves it, but management of her schedule is more important than sentiment for a MM.

JoPova
Jun 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Her clay season was extremely long and tough! So most of all she needs some rest. Moreover, last year she did fine without any warm-up tournament. The most important thing for her in Wimbledon is to serve well, as thing which wasn't working last year, so I hope she is working on that too!

pov
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
- She (almost) never played in the week before a slam.
I'd checked before posting this thread and - at least with Wimbledon -she almost always played a tuneup.

pov
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Her clay season was extremely long and tough! So most of all she needs some rest.

Okay. That seems to be the consensus. But is she really getting rest? Or is she working hard on grass with her coach and her team? I'd guess the latter. So I think she and her team feel that she can prepare better doing directed workouts/practice than rolling the dice on match play. They can watch film from last year, zone in on weaker spots and do some fine-tuning.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'd checked before posting this thread and - at least with Wimbledon -she almost always played a tuneup.

Birmingham isn't the week before Wimbledon.. so... I think he's talking about other tourneys with that.

stegall
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM
Okay. That seems to be the consensus. But is she really getting rest? Or is she working hard on grass with her coach and her team? I'd guess the latter. So I think she and her team feel that she can prepare better doing directed workouts/practice than rolling the dice on match play. They can watch film from last year, zone in on weaker spots and do some fine-tuning.

Yeah..she only took I believe 3 days off and went to London to practice on the14 th.