PDA

View Full Version : I always wondered ...

MiiMo
Jun 13th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I am sorry to distrub you guys but I wanted to create this new thread to makes ask questions about Maria more easily. I'll start

I always wondred what the Prince-Head switch have brought to Maria's game ? What would her career have been if she stuck to Prince ? I'd love to have your opinion guys !

Stonerpova
Jun 13th, 2012, 03:55 AM
As far as I'm aware HEAD rackets are lighter, so it probably gives her peace of mind where her shoulder is concerned. I also feel like her shots have had a lot more shape on them in the past year and a half. Whether that's more due to change in technique or to the racket switch (or a combination of both) I don't know.

jameshazza
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I heard HEAD rackets are heavier. Although I don't know much about rackets etc., when I heard it I wondered why she would get more pop if it was heavier. But she definitely seems to have shortened her swing on her FH, especially when pushed back.

madmax
Jun 13th, 2012, 07:02 AM
yup, she doesn't overdo lasso follow-through on her FH as much as she did prior to this season...that's just one of those minor technical changes that I've noticed in her game recently, which allowed her to dominate points with her FH and become even better player.

Stonerpova
Jun 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah the forehand has been tweaked a lot since her comeback in 09. It's not as pretty a shot as it was pre-surgery, but it's improved steadily the last couple years and it's now a really effective shot on clay.

Mashabator
Jun 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Head racquets arent lighter or heavier, it depends which one u get they are different weights. Though i think the IG instinct which she uses is lighter than o3 white and o3 black :)

cowsonice
Jun 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Maria doesn't use an Instinct. She uses a Youtek Radical MP (pro I think); she endorses the Instinct with her racket just painted to look like one.

As far as I know, Maria's Head racket is indeed heavier but is more flexible, so it eases the shoulder unlike Prince rackets which are known to be very stiff.

MiiMo
Jun 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I also wanted to know why does Maria suck at the USO since she came back from surgery ? ...

nelsondan
Jun 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I also wanted to know why does Maria suck at the USO since she came back from surgery ? ...

2010, she lost to Wozniack, and the last set was 6-4. 2011, she lost to Pennetta, in the third set 6-4.
So...one game in both years could have put her at 5-5, and she has a good record in those situations.

She might be better in close sets this year.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Maria doesn't use an Instinct. She uses a Youtek Radical MP (pro I think); she endorses the Instinct with her racket just painted to look like one.

As far as I know, Maria's Head racket is indeed heavier but is more flexible, so it eases the shoulder unlike Prince rackets which are known to be very stiff.

This. She uses a customized racquet (as most players do) but it was given a paint job so it looks like the Instinct.

MiiMo
Jun 17th, 2012, 01:49 AM

I do not think so, just look at the racquet she used when she first decided to use Head and the one she's actually using, big difference, not the same racquet at all. And at the beginning of 2011 she was using a Radical MP but not anymore.

slamchamp
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Sometimes I kinda miss the lasso forehand..it was such a trademark from her:p

Mashabator
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:30 AM
But it says she uses the instinct :bigcry: am i going to have to get the radical pro now :bigcry:

Mashabator
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Can anyone tell me: does maria use now the updated version of her racquet then? the head youtek IG radical pro?

MiiMo
Jun 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Sometimes I kinda miss the lasso forehand..it was such a trademark from her:p

I do too even though she does it from time to time but not that much as before :/ Was soo beautiful to see from her !

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Can anyone tell me: does maria use now the updated version of her racquet then? the head youtek IG radical pro?

I'm pretty sure she doesn't use any particular racquet. All of the specs are customized to suit her game. But she endorses the Instinct.

cowsonice
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:42 AM
^^^Agreed.

Except the general model will be the Head Youtek IG Radical MP.