Krijes Sedam
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Birmingham MD is out--and Mirjana got a WC :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lucic v (WC) South

no, she didn't, melanie south did :kiss:

kfh_9118
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
good draw to win Round 1, but then against Jankovic :(
although Jankovic is not at her best nowadays, I still think it's a though draw for Miki.

Good luck Miki.

MLF
Jun 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
1st round interesting. Mel South has been showing signs of improvement lately so Mirjana needs to be ready. Mel is at her best on fast surfaces, has a big serve and big forehand and beat Schiavone at Wimbledon a few years ago and Molik at Eastbourne the following year, so knows how to play.

SERVivor
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
She should beat South, especially if she has practiced at all since the French Open. Jankovic looked crappy against Lepchenko at RG and I don't think she is better on Grass then clay. If Mijana has been practicing, she can beat both of those players.

networthy
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
All eight WCs lost in the first round of qualifying today.

Let's hope the same happens in the MD.

mikireturns
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Who are we kidding? This is a really putrid draw for Mirjana. South is the rarified Brit that does, actually, know how to play on grass. Jankovic is, well, definitely beatable ... but how many times have we seen slumping players get a temporary career-resurrection off Mirjana's back?

Then, there is the possibility of Francesca in the quarterfinal, and we all know how Mirjana has her number.

Sort of a bummer, in a way: with Mirjana's current ranking and her "not quite here" "not quite there" form, Mirjana's draws are bound to be crappy more often than not.

She ends up having to face actual players, if she is in a WTA draw!

I know we all bemoan her luck in terms of draws, but it's getting a bit obvious: there's a difference between wishing her a draw filled with complete imbeciles and tomato-cans and the usual draws found on the tour.

She's either got to start beating some of these girls, somewhere, sometime, or else bag it.

I wish she would have played Nottingham -- at this juncture she has to start thinking about direct entry to the US Open.

Bet you all a dollar that she retires after the US Open if nothing special happens this summer.

That being said ... I still know she can MAKE SOMETHING SPECIAL HAPPEN!

GO LUCIC!

mikireturns
Jun 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Plus, the fact that Jankovic took a wild card means she has really come to try and play, to make some sort of statement, if possible.

Gosh, Mirjana.

Why couldn't Mirjana just haul-off and bust through this draw and beat everybody and win the entire damn tournament?

I believe she has the power and the ability.

Why not?

Pebbles
Jun 11th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Mirjana first up tomorrow on centre, play starts at 11. Good luck Mirjana :yeah:

mikireturns
Jun 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Well, my day is already ruined by Nadal winning another French Open. Seriously, only Robin Soderling had the balls to figure out the way to beat him in 7 years? The men have too much "bromance" going in today's game. They need to start hating each other, as they did in the old days. You actually tried to beat people back then. You didn't just hand them matches before walking on court. Federer, for all his majesty, was too "bromance-y" with Nadal to have ever stopped him on clay. Djokovic is the perfect asshole, which is a compliment, and I thought he would ride that assholishness to the dominant streak he was destined for, but now he's gone soft. Ugh.

And Miki can't play today!!!!!!! You gotta love England -- but 20-30 years ago, inclement English weather was seen as the quaint atmospheric eccentricity it was. In the subsequent two decades of the Manic I-Need-It-Now Age, grass is ever more marginalized. Unfairly, in my opinion.

I would love to see some enterprising soul (Tiriac, are you listening) create NEW grass-court venues across the world. Even a handful would restore some balance, especially to the women's game. People forget, but at the dawn of the Open Era, 3 of the 4 Slam events were contested on grass. We need more of it, in other places besides the UK.

Mirjana is enough of a vet to know how to deal with incessant rain delays, but she needs to get her teeth into these next few events, or it's all over. She needs to come out of this grass "season" with at least 100 points (so so so "do-able").

Vault back into the Top 100 by the end of Wimby, Miki, at least.

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
2 double faults in her first service game and is broken after deuce. 0-1

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
has BP doesn't take it. 0-2

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Holds to 15, 1 more DF 1-2

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
South holds after Deuce 1-3

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Broken again. Another DF, no first serves in 1-4

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
South Holds from 0-30 1-5

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
and completes the set by being broken from 30-0 again. Another DF thrown in 1-6

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
South holds to love 6-1 1-0

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
South breaks to 30. 6-1 2-0

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
and Mirjana breaks to 30 . South hit 2 DF to go 15-40

6-1 2-1 South

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Good grief she has woken up. 2 DF to go 15-40 then hit a second serve Ace and later another Ace to win the game. 6-1 2-2

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
South holds after Deuce 6-1 3-2

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Lucic holds to Love 6-1 3-3

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Lucic breaks on 4th BP 1-6 4-3 . Now is not the time to throw 2 DFs in the next service game !

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM
holds from 0-30 . 1-6 5-3

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
6-1 4-5 now . Mirjana had 2 SP at 15-40 but lost 4 in a row.

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
1-6 6-4 Holds to 15

croat123
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
come on miki...

ajmo!
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
If she doesn't win it she might as well retire.

croat123
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
duece..break her miki!

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM
South holds after Deuce. Lucic holds to 15 1-1

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
bah looks bad now 1-3 down and I have to leave work. Hope the news is better when I get home !

croat123
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM
2-5 :sad:
she's about to lose to South :sad::sad: ON GRASS

croat123
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
3-6 unreal

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Oh my. I knew the lack of match play would be potentially troublesome, but not this disastrous.

Well, a terrible result. How in the hell do you lose a set 6-1 to Melanie South?

No disrespect to Melanie, but come on.

Mirjana needed her motivation from 2 years ago. One does wonder: how can she suck so badly?

Gosh, I guess Jankovic wasn't trembling in her boots at the prospect of meeting Mirjana!

What a waste of Mirjana's time and money, to put in a shit performance like this. She's over there because she wants to compete, but has she found a coach who knows how to calibrate this poor woman's bizarre game?

She had an injury, which was why she ditched Nottingham, but it was minor.

This is a crappy loss. What a waste of a main draw opportunity. Sorry, Mirjana, but beating a British gal on grass should be the biggest no-brainer of them all.

The stats of this match tell it all. Totally frittered-away all opportunities. Played like a mid-level junior, and she's 30.

If she is going to go out, you would think she would be swinging freely out there, knowing her time is limited.

I still am proud she even made a stir to get back to the big leagues, and no one will ever be able to take that from her, but the overall perspective is going to be awful, if she keeps sucking like this.

She was so motivated a couple of years ago.

I think she needs to set a firm date and retire. As in, after the US Open.

I mean, Melanie South? You can't bring yourself to beat Melanie South? In probably your last WTA main draw opportunity ever?

Now she plays qualifying everywhere.

Retire, Mirjana. Make babies.

Pebbles
Jun 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM
This result is depressing on so many levels. South is a solid 25k player but I never saw her as much more than that. Mirjana needs to do some serious re-evaluating this summer.

SERVivor
Jun 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I thought after she won the second set she would cruise. I guess i was wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if she just didn't practice much after the French Open. That's the only explanation for such a loss. Huge points loss since she was QF last year, and she will only have one grass match under her belt when she plays Wimbledon qualifying. Hopefully, she'll get right over to Wimbledon and start practicing right away.

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Well, she is slated to play Eastbourne qualifying, but one really has to question her direction after being whupped by South. Even worse is that South gave her a breadstick ... Just horrific.

Mirjana is right at 125 in the world, having already lost last year's QF points.

I mean, she totally screwed the pooch in her first grass match last year, losing to the Great Foretz-Gacon, then she got it together, only to lose the match that would have redefined her, had she won it, at Wimbledon. Scholars refer to it as The Cibulkova Apocalypse.

Now, old lady Foretz Gacon is in the Top 100 and Mirjana can't seem to crack even that mark. She had all season, again this year, to make inroads to at least get back in the Top 100, but she basically flopped.

I think, as fans, we may finally have to face facts.

She's not making it to the next level because she is not exactly a good tennis player.

We can't speak of "lost opportunities" either, because, when you are a tennis pro, every time you walk out on court is an opportunity. Big event, small event, top seed or wild card in front of you.

My concern is that Mirjana has indeed trained so hard, so diligently, in the past few years. She is in great shape, physically, and that kind of intense, hard work should have paid dividends by now i.e. at least a solid Top 100 ranking, if not Top 50.

But it was not the best dynamic for her ... She tried to make her last stab at glory after her career had already been terribly interrupted. She got fit, but she never got that sort of coaching, that extra inspiration, to nail-down the mental side of her game. That's why she loses so terrifically.

Loads of talent, and the will is there, but no world class coach was able to help her overcome those mental deficiencies in her game, to take her to the next level.

Sucks, but it is also a common story in pro sports. Tons of talent mismanaged.

It's not her fault; she has been doing the best with what she could afford. I think it's glorious she even came back to win matches at Slams again. That she was even good enough to be in a major draw again.

But, in pro tennis, you need a lot of support to make a breakthrough, and Mirjana was not able to assemble the sort of "entourage" that could have boosted a huge but clearly very uncertain talent like hers to successive levels.

She just stalled. Since she was determined to launch this comeback, I sort of wish she would have availed herself of the resources of her home country. Maybe she tried, but her relationship with her own country was so obviously complicated.

I mean, when she was reduced to NOTHING and battling IMG in 2003-2006, why did no one get a real grip on this girl's career, even from a business perspective?

She was a big enough commodity that she could have sourced all kinds of help from Croatia.

Instead, it was an alienation game, a lack of trust all the way around. Parts of it quite understandable, of course.

As it is, Mirjana managed the comeback she managed on a shoestring budget, basically flying by the seat of her pants.

That's the good part of the story, but she doesn't want to hang around much after shit like this, a dreary loss to Melanie South, when she ought to have seized this main draw opportunity and done something on a surface where she doesn't really have to think, with her edgy game.

Of course, she could absolutely still go out there and do something special, but I think we all are realizing that it is not going to happen.

Her clock was already ticking ... It's so clearly over.

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM
And I don't mean to say Mirjana is not a "good" tennis player. She is a "Top 130" pro. She's certainly good.

But she ain't great. No she ain't.

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I think she needs to start focusing on her cookbook. I will totally buy several copies of the Mirjana Lucic Cookbook, and disperse them to friends.

Not so sure I want to see her tennis, anymore, but I am interested in the cookbook.

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
'Good Things I Can Actually SERVE' by Mirjana Lucic

Chapter subheadings:

'Fun Stuff to Do with Bagels and Breadsticks'

'What to Do if Someone is CHOKING at your Dinner Table'

'Steffi Graf Dumplings (w/Secret Seles Sauce)'

kuroishijin
Jun 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I think she needs to start focusing on her cookbook. I will totally buy several copies of the Mirjana Lucic Cookbook, and disperse them to friends.

Not so sure I want to see her tennis, anymore, but I am interested in the cookbook.

mikireturns you are overcooking it lol, I mean this loss is in line with Miki results for past couple of months.

The funny thing is that even with such a bad form she is still far the best second tennis racquet in Croatia :help:

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
mikireturns you are overcooking it lol, I mean this loss is in line with Miki results for past couple of months.

The funny thing is that even with such a bad form she is still far the best second tennis racquet in Croatia :help:

I absolutely agree that I am way overcooking it!

Yes, Mirjana's latest result is very much "in line" with her results from the past few months.

That is the problem.

Oh ... Oh ... Another Mirjana cookbook subheading:

'How to Boil an Egg ... Instead of Laying One!'

I want her cookbook, dammit!

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Oh man ... Oudin and Sesil-K actually won rounds here. Mirjana, for shame!

mikireturns
Jun 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Oh my gosh! Stop the presses! Halt all cookbook publications!

This is indeed a dark, dark day for has-been tennis divas.

I have just learned that they finally yanked Alexandra Stevenson's entire forum in the USA group -- 'Alexandra's Addicts' (as if anyone was still freakin' addicted to her ...)

Well, I guess I was addicted to satirizing her. Some of my best tennisforum material was in the now-defunct Stevenson box.

I suppose it is an awful thing, but one of my goals was to sort of "embarrass her out of the game".

Apparently, someone heard my prayer.

If you happen to be in San Diego tomorrow, and craving shitty fast-food, do not be surprised to enter Burger King and be greeted by the words:

"Hello. My name is Alexandra. Would you like fries with that Whopper?"

Of course, she will be wearing a hairnet and, BEYOND of course, her nametag will simply read: "Superstar, Legend ... And Dancer."

Oh it's too much. Mirjana sucking royally and now THIS.

(disclaimer: I do actually have a life ... It's just so easy and so much fun to make comments on the tennisforum. So sue me. Wait. Alexandra Stevenson's mother may read this and sue. She would sue the feathers off a duck...)

Oh what a day!

ajmo!
Jun 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Worst result on grass since comeback. By far. WTF is this new coach doing?

kfh_9118
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:05 AM
:awww: didn't expect her to lose this match :awww:

play better in Wimbledon, Miki :fiery:

I guess she's not playing any tournament next week right?
straight to Wimbledon Q

mikireturns
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Worst result on grass since comeback. By far. WTF is this new coach doing?

I know. The weird thing is that her serve was in the 60%, and despite the breadstick first set. Mirjana wasn't being crushed.

The horrid stat is her BP conversion rate.

Inexcusable. She ought to have won this easily.

The new coach isn't making any headlines, yet.

Ugh. We could coach her better ... I realize that isn't a very humble thing to say, but I have been a USTA player for years, and compete year-in, year out.

I am in good shape and could easily hit with her, but not the way her young practice hitter does. I am too old for that, perhaps, but I sure as hell could offer some serious coaching aspects to her, and be qualified to offer something. Like other fans, here, ... I am not the only player here.

But, duh ... Mirjana completely screwed this up. I know I could take a set from Melanie South, 6-1. She might win a three set match, because I am old, but Mirjana has no excuse.

Girl? What the hell are you doing?

mikireturns
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM
5.0 USTA, btw, so I ain't just blowing smoke up people's asses.

I know I am an overbearing, smart-ass commentator, and believe it or not, I am trying to be a better person and reign-it-in, but I am a player, and I support Mirjana to the hilt ... I don't know what the hell she's doing, with shit performances like this in a WTA main draw, but I support her.

Ugh. Get a clue, Mirjana. Make a run. You have the ability to do that much, at least.

mikireturns
Jun 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Ugh. Schiavone booted in the first round, Jankovic looking wonky needing a tiebreak to put away South. This draw really opened up for Lucic. Meanwhile, Oudin is winning rounds.

Eastbourne or Wimbledon? Have we any hope left?

I'm going to the Stanford event again this year, but doubt Mirjana will play the qualifying there.

networthy
Jun 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Eastbourne Q draw is out and Mirjana's in it. Here's her section of the draw:

[4] VESNINA, Elena RUS v TANASUGARN, Tamarine THA
KONTA, Johanna GBR v BROADY, Naomi GBR
DUQUE-MARINO, Mariana COL v LUCIC, Mirjana CRO
UHLIROVA, Vladimira CZE v [5] FALCONI, Irina USA

Duque-Marino's record on grass is :help: Her W-L match record on the surface is 1-7 (3-15 in sets). Her only win was back in 2008, against Alves. Her worst loss was to none other than Mirjana: 16 26 in Birmingham 2010.

Don't blow this, Mirjana :armed:

MLF
Jun 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hoping Miki can get a few matches in here at least. She's still upbeat at the moment and really into the Euro football champs. She's only 2 more withdrawals away from Wimbledon main draw at moment.

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Falconi is iffy for this draw; she's playing the semis right now against none other than Oudin (why could it not have been Mirjana in that semi?). The Oudin/Falconi match is on serve first set and suspended by rain.

Dunno if I'd rather see Mirjana in W main draw (where she'll likely draw a superstar and get booted) or work her way through qualifying and earn some points no matter who she might face in the main draw. Depends on what she can make of this q-draw at Eastbourne. Hopefully she'll assert her big grass-court game and come down hard on these girls.

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rather, Falconi is embroiled in a quarterfinal with Oudin at the moment. Down a set. Mirjana can beat anyone in the Eastbourne q-draw, if she buckles down. I'd rather see her meet a less match-tough opponent than a Falconi in R2, though. D-Marino ought to be a cinch, but we thought the same of South (for the most part).

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Miki starting to suck ... Up 4-1 and three DFs in one game. Ho hum.

markdelaney
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
make that 4 DF in one game. Why doesn't she serve underarm ?

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Well, that's better ... Quick break; she's up 5-2 and serving for the set. She'll have to bring her 1st service numbers back into the 50s, consistently, though, to make it through this draw.

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Strong two games to take the set, but other girls won't let her get away with the shitty service percentage.

SERVivor
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Strong two games to take the set, but other girls won't let her get away with the shitty service percentage.

Apparently, your telepathic powers have seeped into the Lucic subconscious, as her first serve percentage has increased markedly in the secons set.

SERVivor
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM
good solid 6-2 6-2 win. needs to get the first serve percentage up about 10 points and lessen the double faults.

mikireturns
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Apparently, your telepathic powers have seeped into the Lucic subconscious, as her first serve percentage has increased markedly in the secons set.

Yeah, if my telepathic powers were able to seep into her subconscious, she would be in the Top 50 already.

Much cleaner second set, but yes, she needs to get those first serves in, low 50s at least. It appears she is playing strong off the ground, which is encouraging. It looks doubtful whether Falconi will make this draw; her match against Oudin may have been suspended till tomorrow.

Regardless, Mirjana stops the rot and gets her first grass win this year. Hopefully it will give her some confidence.

frenchie
Jun 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM
If Falconi can't play tomorrow, will Uhlirova automatically advance?

that would be good news as she is a doubles player only!

croat123
Jun 16th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Miki gets a walkover into the third round

mikireturns
Jun 17th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Lol! Yes, both of her potential opponents are still in the latter stages of Birmingham, with Uhlirova in dubs and Falconi battling to snuff out Oudin for a semifinal spot. Clearly, both women hoped to be present.

Mirjana has been hoping for years that she might get some key bit of extra luck with a draw somewhere. Perhaps this is that nice little twist of fate. The MD qualifier placements are not inspiring. Watson, Ivanovic, Kerber, and MJMS. Honestly, I'd like a very at-her-best Mirjana to face Watson and then have perhaps a chance to impose her grass court savvy on Babos or Safarova. Kerber in R1? No, thank you. She could probably get past MJMS on this surface, but Kvitova waiting in the wings. It's all rough at this stage, let's face it, in a draw this size with these players, and she has to win the next q match anyhow.

Let's hope she gets really inspired and starts to turn this season into something upwardly mobile.

mikireturns
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM
It looks as if Mirjana has indeed just squeaked into the Wimbledon main draw. She is included as one of the official players on the Wimbledon site.

Well, let's hope she plays inspired tennis at Eastbourne knowing she is getting another crack at Wimby.

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Vesnina in FQR. Elena has played well here so this will be tough.

MLF
Jun 17th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Vesnina will be tough but Miki leads the head to head 2-0 including a win in qualies here last year 6-2 6-2 so fingers crossed.

croat123
Jun 18th, 2012, 02:13 AM
miki still isn't into the wimbledon draw :scared: she's the first alternate right now..

mikireturns
Jun 18th, 2012, 04:07 AM
She is bound to get into Wimby MD, one would think. Somebody has got to pull up lame between now and next Monday. But wow ... She is cutting it close. If Vesnina beats her tomorrow, she'll still have time to sign in for quallies, but if she wins, I don't know if it's worth risking that no one else will withdraw from the Championships.

Too bad she could not secure her MD berth over a month ago.

Hope she beats Vesnina ... And it must really burn her ass to see pipsqueak Oudin winning Slam event matches and getting to tour finals on grass due to cakewalk draws, especially since she beat Oudin in that classic Challenger match this year.

Oh, Mirjana, when will your moment come?

frenchie
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I really hope Mirjana doesn't get stuck in Eastbourne and can't compete in the Wimbly quallies if she doesn't get to maindraw;

BTW the last MD WC will be given to the next in maindraw player.
And there are rumors of Ivanovic having to withdraw from Wimbledon.

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Wasn't her match supposed to start 30 minutes ago ?

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
and now Barthel and Scheepers are on the scoreboard so I guess someone has withdrawn

frenchie
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Vesnina played 2 matches yesterday, maybe she's tired?

Or Lucic doesn't want to compromise her Wimbledon quallies chance?

croat123
Jun 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I assume miki pulled out. The wimbledon q draw is today

mikireturns
Jun 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
The match with Vesnina has either been rescheduled or Vesnina won it in a walkover.

I have a feeling that, as of this morning, with no definitive word about her Wimby direct acceptance, Mirjana skedaddled her butt to Roehampton and opted not to risk a disastrous scenario in which she got waxed in Eastbourne AND was unable to play Wimbledon.

What a muddle for her grass court season, if so. It has been a disaster thus far, with the Nottingham withdrawal, the lame loss to South, and now a possible desperate choice having to be made.

Hope something pays off for her; her view of the Top 100 is fading fast ...

jaylucic
Jun 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Miki withdrew, source: WTA website!

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Stomach illness !

juan pablo
Jun 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Stomach illness !

;) WIm Q illness

croat123
Jun 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
shit, that's the worst possible outcome. and she'll likely have to play at wimbledon tomorrow. fuck

MLF
Jun 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM
shit, that's the worst possible outcome. and she'll likely have to play at wimbledon tomorrow. fuck

I don't believe for a second that she is ill, you just need a medical note to withdraw and then be able to play somewhere else in week's like this. Annoying thing is that there are some players who will definitely be withdrawing that haven't done so yet, so in reality Miki had a good shot at playing both main draws.

mikireturns
Jun 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Trust--it is indeed a "24-hr." stomach illness. She is signing into Roehampton as we speak, but what an unfortunate pass. She certainly could have beaten Vesnina (she was likely to have done so, IMO) and just waited for her chance to get direct acceptance at Wimby. She was playing well in Eastbourne.

Hopefully some chick will withdraw today and Mirjana will get her main draw opportunity, but frankly, I'd rather see her earn 60 points by winning through to the MD and, on a roll, maybe getting a couple of wins at the All England Club as icing on the cake.

Either way is lovely, at this point.

And we all KNOW she is going to get a fantastic draw.

MLF
Jun 18th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Seeded 12th in qualies. Opens against Romania's Elena Bogdan. Possible match with Dulko in 2nd round.

croat123
Jun 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
she's definitely the favorite in her second of the draw. good luck!

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2012, 05:50 PM
she's definitely the favorite in her second of the draw. good luck!

Dulko is good on grass so the draw could have been better. She kicked Sharapova out of Wimbledon a couple of years ago ! But I don't think it matters who is on the other side of the net in qualifying. Mirjana will decide who goes through and who doesn't. One more withdrawal overnight would be nice !

kuroishijin
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
She should get real, she is far away from levels needed for GS, it is madness what she is doing :help:

ajmo!
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM
GL Mirjana!

mikireturns
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
She should get real, she is far away from levels needed for GS, it is madness what she is doing :help:

I think she is now at Grand Slam levels, if she would get a decent draw! I think she is as in-form as Oudin, if only she could catch a break in early round action.

This qually draw looks sweet for her. She has already beaten Dulko on clay this season, and a fit and focusing Mirjana ought to get through. If she doesn't, I agree she needs to consider calling it a day, because it will indicate (on top of so many other things) that she just doesn't have what it takes to really justify the hard work, toil, and time away from her family. Then again, so long as it is fun for her to keep striving, it's her prerogative.

But she certainly has the game and the talent to win through this q-draw and, given a good roll of the dice by the Draw Gods, she could win some main draw rounds, too. Everything depends on her grit and focus, now.

She has qualified for 4 WTA main draws this year (yes, I'm counting Eastbourne; I know she would've beaten Vesnina!) ... Let's see what she's made of at Roehampton. If she keeps her head and imposes her big grass game, I absolutely believe in her ability to succeed.

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I think she is now at Grand Slam levels, if she would get a decent draw! I think she is as in-form as Oudin, if only she could catch a break in early round action.

This qually draw looks sweet for her. She has already beaten Dulko on clay this season, and a fit and focusing Mirjana ought to get through. If she doesn't, I agree she needs to consider calling it a day, because it will indicate (on top of so many other things) that she just doesn't have what it takes to really justify the hard work, toil, and time away from her family. Then again, so long as it is fun for her to keep striving, it's her prerogative.

But she certainly has the game and the talent to win through this q-draw and, given a good roll of the dice by the Draw Gods, she could win some main draw rounds, too. Everything depends on her grit and focus, now.

She has qualified for 4 WTA main draws this year (yes, I'm counting Eastbourne; I know she would've beaten Vesnina!) ... Let's see what she's made of at Roehampton. If she keeps her head and imposes her big grass game, I absolutely believe in her ability to succeed.

Her problem has been when she has shown some form and looking good, she gets an awful draw in the next slam e.g. Venus Williams, Azarenka, Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Cibulkova. No way is she anywhere near the standard in 1999. She hits the ball as hard and makes some spectacular winners but seems incapable of hitting the ball in court for 3 successive shots, has no touch at all anywhere near the net and makes horrendous errors akin to a novice. The standard of tennis she showed at Wimbledon back in 99 would probably win it now. I hope she has one last good run somewhere as time is running out.

SERVivor
Jun 18th, 2012, 10:53 PM
can someone explain how she is supposed to be only one spot from the main draw at Wimbledon, but is only the 12th seed in Wimbledon Qualifying. Don't they seed the qualifying by ranking?

networthy
Jun 19th, 2012, 12:24 AM
can someone explain how she is supposed to be only one spot from the main draw at Wimbledon, but is only the 12th seed in Wimbledon Qualifying. Don't they seed the qualifying by ranking?

The entry list is based on rankings six weeks before the tournament. Seedings are based on rankings the week before.

kfh_9118
Jun 19th, 2012, 01:01 AM
tough draw to qualify in my opinion.
Might be able to win Q1, but Q2 against Dulko will be tough on grass, and SaiSai is a very good upcoming chinese player as well, so will be very tough if Miki faces SaiSai in QFR.

All the best Miki.

Really hoped one more withdrawal and she is in MD, with a good draw she can easily win 100 pts for winning R1.
I am quite pessimistic now that she can qualify for MD with that QD :o

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Her problem has been when she has shown some form and looking good, she gets an awful draw in the next slam e.g. Venus Williams, Azarenka, Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Cibulkova. No way is she anywhere near the standard in 1999. She hits the ball as hard and makes some spectacular winners but seems incapable of hitting the ball in court for 3 successive shots, has no touch at all anywhere near the net and makes horrendous errors akin to a novice. The standard of tennis she showed at Wimbledon back in 99 would probably win it now. I hope she has one last good run somewhere as time is running out.

These are some undeniable points, for the most part. I agree about her horrid luck with Slam event draws just as she is displaying some significant form. That part has been almost too horrible for Mirjana, especially last year, when she was showing genuine, consistent Top 30 form on clay and on grass, only to meet Sharapova and Cibulkova, respectively, in the Slams where she could have consolidated her efforts and made big rankings advancements if she had drawn lesser players. She handled the Cibulkova situation better than she handled the Sharapova encounter, and ought to have won that match, I guess, but let's not forget that Dominika had quite a run, beating Woz. She was playing BIG tennis. The only exception, wherein Mirjana displayed fine form and followed through at a Slam, was in 2010, where her summer was solid and she qualified for the US Open, beat Molik handily enough, and came achingly close to a win over Jankovic before wobbling and getting tired.

As far as her 1999 standard being different/better ... Well, technically I think she is actually better now, but fate and misfortune have conspired to take the young girl's amazing mental intensity and drain it from the grown woman. Miki used to make a LOT of outrageous errors way back when, but she had a kid's nerve to recover and keep putting strong one-two punches together during a match. She started growing less sure of herself as she got sorta fat and undisciplined with training and coaches and the emotional toll of being sole family breadwinner while still a teen. She used to really hit with a great deal of probative purpose, from 97-99, even if her shots missed the mark. She used to hit to hurt the other girl during a point, then. There was deliberate poison on every shot. Later on, it has seemed as if she has often been swinging at the ball without purpose related to the point. Not staying in the moment. That is an issue of focus, and when she unravels, she rushes and loses all sense of what the hell is going on during the actual match. It is, admittedly, bizarre. But it only looks so bad because, in those cases, she refuses to slow down, mentally regroup, and regain her composure. Her peers have learned this because they have had constant support and coaching. Mirjana has not. Her development in this area was stunted. However, there is still time for her to get that fixed; she requires a strong, steadying coach who can calm her. Miki has displayed some very good, gritty, savvy tennis the past three years, on all surfaces. It hasn't been all horrific. The losses stick out because they have often been so screamingly bad (again ... Bad coaching or no coaching or transitional coaching issues, IMO).

If she ever gets that missing ingredient in place, and gets a great draw at a big event, she could still make something great happen. Her game is too powerful and she is too technically sound for it not to be possible.

As fans, we just have to hope the moment gets seized soon, because, yes, she likely has only two more years to figure it out, and I don't believe she will linger nearly that long chasing it.

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Mirjana's qualifying mission certainly off to an impressive start; she leads Bogdan 6-1 3-0 @ Roehampton.

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Dulko not looking terribly dominant against the British girl ...

volume3d
Jun 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Lucic - Bogdan 61 61

markdelaney
Jun 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wow that was impressive, served it out to love. The scoreboard I was watching suggests she had no trouble on serve at all although i started with the score at 1:1

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Mirjana wins 6-1 6-1 VERY quickly. Nice job.

You know she's pissed off at having to leave Eastbourne ... Maybe that's energy she can channel.

SERVivor
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I think she has a very good chance to qualify. No trouble today against an admittadly weak opponent. I assume Dulko won but was not dominant against Samantha Murray. If Miki beat Dulko on clay a few weeks ago, she should be able to do it again on Grass. Grass is unquestionably Lucic's best surfact. Dulko, even though she had that win against Sharapova a few years ago, is still best on clay. And, she is nowhere near the form she was two years ago. I think that Chinese girl may be the toughest opponent in her draw if she plays the stereotypical solid Asian game.

croat123
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
dulko barely won against the brit in three sets. i'm hoping for another easy win for miki

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM
2 more, Miki. Focus.

I genuinely believe this is the only surface she can do a bit of damage on at this point in her career.

networthy
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Mirjana cruised 61 61 against the #194 player
Dulko struggled 75 46 63 against the #365 player

Let's hope this is a good omen for QR2

networthy
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Btw, a nice juicy 40 points for Mirjana.

ajmo!
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM
In Doubles Qdraw with Savinhky(or something) vs Knapp/AV

tennisfan5
Jun 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
supporter of Lucic, but I'm surprised she can beat anyone 6-1, 6-1 these days, even on grass-given her love for UEs. Dulko has been playing awful tennis this yr, so Mirjana has a great shot

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Mirjana is entered in the main draw of a 100K in Italy slated for July 2-8. I hope she stays to play the Palermo event, too, and whatever else she can play to get as many points as possible and return to the Top 100. One main draw win at Wimbledon would vault her just inside the Top 100, and smart scheduling (along with focused play) over the summer would push her higher. If she could just end the year in the Top 100 (her first time since 2000), it would give her the motivation to try one more year on the tour and retire at the end of 2013 ... hopefully with some great memories of her adventuresome comeback.

I'll miss her at Stanford this year, but might see her in San Diego, if she plays there. What she does in the next two months or so will determine whether she even plays next year at all, I believe.

She could finish the season in the Top 100, if she plays well enough, obviously, but schedules herself even better.

First, this pesky Wimbledon "thing".

networthy
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I know it's hard to believe but, again, Mirjana is doing quite a bit better this year, points-wise, than she was last year by the same time.

Through today, Mirjana has picked up 303 points this year. Through Wimbledon last year, the figure was 255.

Best of luck tomorrow!

mikireturns
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
You're quite right. That's why I believe that, with a little better scheduling, a solid summer, and even just two main draw Slam wins, she is a shoo-in for finishing the year in the Top 100. She's gotta make her move now, and not let up until after the US Open, and play some of the nicer Challengers, too (Albuquerque and Vegas).

GL, Mirjana ... Put your heart and soul into these next several months and get through this q-draw to see what sort of crap the Main Draw Gods throw at you this time.

If Oudin draws Yakimova in R1 I'll laugh.

croat123
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:45 PM
In Doubles Qdraw with Savinhky(or something) vs Knapp/AV
very happy too see her in the doubles draw :D

networthy
Jun 20th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Today, Mirjana's singles match is the first one on Court 14 and her doubles match is the fourth one on Court 6.

Good luck x2!

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM
From 5-2 set point on Dulko's serve and now loses her serve for 5-4. Let's hope it's not yet another ****-up from a dominant position !

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Dulko serving 4-5 0-40. 3 SP for Mirjana....

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
First set 6-4, (breathes easier now.....)

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Instantly drops serve at the start of set 2..

kfh_9118
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
C'mon Miki, get this done in 2 sets please

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
breaks back for 2-2

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:07 PM
6-4 4-2 now

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
6-4 6-2 . Other than the blip at 5-2 where she lost 4 out of 5 games, a totally convincing performance !

Tennis Fool
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Micki :)

kfh_9118
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
much easier than their last meeting :yeah:

one more, Miki, get your MD ticket :bounce:

croat123
Jun 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
one more miki :)

mikireturns
Jun 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Schweet!

So what's the scoop on Schoofs? Anybody seen her play? 24th seed. Her opponents haven't been big grass-court girls.

Miki strikes me as on a mission, but as they say, the Schoof is in the pudding. Miki needs to keep her head.

mikireturns
Jun 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hmmm ... Good on clay, this Schoofs. Wins over Gallovits-Hall and Oudin this year. Nearly took out Amanmuradova in FO qualifying. Lost close two-setter to Oudin in Birmingham quallies. Doesn't seem to be a big match player.

Mirjana will have to be on her guard, clearly, and fight.

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Negative thinking I know, but should she not beat Schoofs, she is the 5th highest seed left in. So unless all 4 above her also lose in the Final round, she will get a chance of a lucky loser spot should any withdrawals happen in the main draw.

MLF
Jun 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Enjoying Miki's efficiency so far, one more to come this week hopefully.

Schoofs has improved a lot in the last 12 months. Shes comfortable on fast surfaces, made quarters of Luxembourg Indoors last autumn before Keothavong took her down. Good server and mover, lovely backhand, iffy forehand. If Miki remembers to think she should pummel the forehand side and it should breakdown. Hits pretty flat. Miki needs to be focused and ready but if Miki brings it she'll have too much for Schoofs.

mikireturns
Jun 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Yes, Schoofs looks to be a tall girl, too. Her flat game ought to play well into Miki's groove, if she feeds Mirjana a steady stream of flat balls. She likely doesn't have the equipment to overpower Miki.
Miki seems rather determined, here, and liking the feel of the Roehampton courts. She's in grass court form.

Fingers crossed.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
You got this, Miki. Ajmo.

MLF
Jun 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Lucic & Savinykh take the first set against Knapp & Arruabarrena-Vecino 6-3. Hopefully they keep it tidy.

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
The weather forecast for tomorrow late afternoon and friday is dreadful. Krajicek has now withdrawn from Wimbledon so one LL is up already, (reserved for Karatancheva if she loses final round)

MLF
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Krajicek has now withdrawn from Wimbledon so one LL is up already, (reserved for Karatancheva if she loses final round)

Not sure what you mean with the Karatantcheva bit?

Annoying Krajicek couldn't have done this earlier to allow Miki direct entry but if Miki beats Schoofs tomorrow it will have been better that she played here.

croat123
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
6-3 5-1*
Doing well...gotta finish it now

croat123
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Annoying Krajicek couldn't have done this earlier to allow Miki direct entry but if Miki beats Schoofs tomorrow it will have been better that she played here.
exactly, miki needs matches. it's a shame since those matches could have happened at eastbourne. she's clearly back on track after that loss to south though

MLF
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Lucic & Savinykh d. Knapp & Arruabarrena-Vecino 6-3 6-2. Next up likely to be the mopey but tricky Pliskova twins. Miki has 2 shots at some main draw action now at least.

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM

She's lost in the final qualifying round of her last 3 tournaments (including Roland Garros) and got into the draw as a lucky loser each time.

I've always preferred Miki to play the qualifying for grand slams. What's the point of losing 8-6 third set to Cibulkova in the first round and getting zero points for it ?

croat123
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:37 PM
6-3 6-2 :d

frenchie
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
if only the whole season was on grass...

GL in the last round

networthy
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I've always preferred Miki to play the qualifying for grand slams. What's the point of losing 8-6 third set to Cibulkova in the first round and getting zero points for it ?

Getting ~$20,000 for it ;)

networthy
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Lucic & Savinykh d. Knapp & Arruabarrena-Vecino 6-3 6-2. Next up likely to be the mopey but tricky Pliskova twins. Miki has 2 shots at some main draw action now at least.

Pliskova twins will probably be too tough. They're both top 100 in doubles and know each other's game intimately.

networthy
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM
it's a shame since those matches could have happened at eastbourne.

I think it worked out well that Mirjana withdrew from Eastbourne qualies. If she had beaten Vesnina, she would have played Kerber in R1--and that could have turned out very ugly for Mirjana :scared:

networthy
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Krajicek has now withdrawn from Wimbledon so one LL is up already

For LL spots at GS events, the four highest-ranked players who lose in the last round of qualification take part in a random draw.

Hopefully she won't, but if Mirjana loses tomorrow, she'll most likely be one of those four highest-ranked players. That means she'll have a 25% chance of getting the LL spot.

SERVivor
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Schoofs is dangerous but not much grass match experience. Being from the Netherlands though, she probably grew up playing on it some. I think Miki will win this.

SERVivor
Jun 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
The entry list is based on rankings six weeks before the tournament. Seedings are based on rankings the week before.

I just saw this. thanks. So, her ranking dropped in the intervening five weeks between entry deadline and qualifying. She did the right thing by playing qualifying. She couldn't risk waiting for someone to drop out. Did anyone by the way? or just late withdrawls that LL will replace i.e. Krajicek.

mikireturns
Jun 20th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Unless I am mistaken, she very much did the right thing by withdrawing from Eastbourne and heading straight for Roehampton. Krajicek knew she had a serious (possible surgery-requiring) injury well over a week ago (that's the scuttlebutt, anyhow) and could have withdrawn before the start of qualifying, but for whatever reason, she did not. If she had, Mirjana would have been in the MD, and possibly have faced another big seed, lost, and gone home with no usable ranking points. At least this way, she has 40 points in the bag and some grass wins under her belt.

Get the job done, Miki, and good luck out there against Schoofs. Big match tomorrow. Fight.

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:29 AM
Big day tomorrow...

networthy
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:20 AM
At least this way, she has 40 points in the bag and some grass wins under her belt.

50 after beating Dulko :)

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
match has started

1-1 both players held serve

Miki to serve now

Good luck Miki, please qualify both single & double :angel:

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
broken :mad:

1-2*

MLF
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Must been a raining, Miki down a break 3-2.

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Krajicek lost to Mirjana in Qualies for Wimbledon and US Open 2010. Perhaps it was spite !

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Had 0-30 last game, then lost 4 points. 2-4 now.

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM
at least she keeps the score close, for now

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM
is it raining now?

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Yes all play is suspended. Schoofs serving at 5-4

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Forecast says rain will be happening until 6 pm then it should be clear for a few hours

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:46 PM
As good a time as any for rain. She hasn't done much on the return so far :(

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM
30-30 big point

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Ad. Ms. Lucic

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
shit, set point

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
yes! miki breaks! 5-5

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
Back on court and she has broken back to 5-5 !!

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM
and now 0-30 . I wish Wimbledon would give match stats. They seem to have abandoned it this year and it would be interesting to see if these are DFs !

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
30-30 :scared:

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
bp

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
5-6 30-40 set point !!!!

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
YES ! 7-5 first set. Great comeback !

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Miki won first set :bounce:
Keep going Miki

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
awesome!

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
easy hold 7-5 1-0*
thank you rain :rain:

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
7-5 1-0 Holds to 15 .

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
funny I was thinking about the Tauziat quarter final at Wimbledon in 99. Wasn't that rained delayed overnight at 5-3 FS final set to Tauziat ?

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
that's quite possible. did tauziat have match points in that one? that was a great comeback

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:57 PM
Czink and Pliskova through so now she is one of the top 4 players with the possibility of a LL if needed, which hopefully it won't be

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
7-5 1*-1
schoofs held to 40

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
that's quite possible. did tauziat have match points in that one? that was a great comeback

Tauziat led 5-2 final set, Mirjana broke back before the rain came and they resumed the next day with Tauziat serving 5-4. Mirjana won the next 3 games.:bounce:

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
40-0 to 40-30...

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
7-5 2-1*

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
7-5 3-2*

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Breaks for 4-2

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
yes! miki breaks!
7-5 4*-2

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
30-30...

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
and from 30-0 is broken back to 4-3. Here we go again on the rollercoaster

kfh_9118
Broken back :o

croat123
ugh, would have been so nice to just close it out

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
7-5 4*-4

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
40-0 to 40-30 come on...

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
thank god
7-5 5-4*

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Break here Miki, c'mon

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
30-30...

markdelaney
Match point. Now I'm going out the back of the house .....

kfh_9118
MP Miki

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Yes !

kfh_9118
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM
:woohoo: she qualifies, not dropping a set at all ;)

Now, hoping for good placement in the MD

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
she did it!

pretty good match imo. got broken only twice and was very good on the return after the rain delay. 60 points in the bag, time to grab at least another 100. if she draws a top player (or ula radwanska--the only dangerous floater imo), i quit

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM
I want her to draw Venus.

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:30 PM
I want her to draw Venus.

sure, but second round. i want the 100 points :p

MLF
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Great job to qualify. Those two games from 4-5 to 6-5 were very hard fought from both ladies and proved key. Nice confidence boost, not dropping a set will make her feel a level above qualifying level and should have her feeling good in the main draw.

Now she just needs to cheer up Savinykh after her loss, relax and go for it in doubles ;-)

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
exactly, one more match to go. i'm worried that savinykh is going to be a bit of a weak link out there, but we'll see...

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Savinykh will get a chance of LL unless all 3 of Karrotcruncher, Feuerstein and Doi lose.

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hooray for La Lucic!!!! Well done, indeed, Mirjana!

I just woke up five minutes ago and grabbed the phone to see what transpired as coffee was brewing.

What pleasant and exciting news! She still has the stuff to not only qualify for the greatest tournament on earth, but to do it in style.

I knew Schoofs would be tougher to nail down, mainly because I watched some You Tube video of her yesterday and thought, "Chick can hit the ball," and also because her results this year indicate a player who is a fighter.

GREAT job, Miki. You didn't need no wild card or player with a pulled hamstring to get into Wimbledon ...

You did it all yourself! This is a BIG shot in the arm for her.

Now, I wonder who in the blazes she's destined to face THIS TIME????

Go for that main draw win, Mirjana!

MLF
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
Lucic and Savinykh take the first set against the Pliskovas 6-3. Keep going ladies!

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
I just hope for fair draw and not some LL(that had better draw in q) again to get better draw.

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
I hope she doesn't draw some seed or Kim, Venus, Ula, Zakopalova, Paszek, Oudin :lol: ...

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:48 PM
I just hope for fair draw and not some LL(that had better draw in q) again to get better draw.

Sadly that's always a possibility. e.g. Mirjana draws Kvitova and the LL draws Konta. If she does get a seed I wouldn't mind Errani.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hell yes! Great job, Miki. Well deserved. :D

MLF
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Into doubles main draw too, Miki & Savinykh beat the twins 6-3 7-5. Good day for Miki and her supporters :D

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Fabulous news for Miki (and Savinkh)! Well done.

She must be so happy and excited, and deservedly so!

Hard work paying off. No matter what happens, these are the great memories she will take forward into her happy, successful life after tennis.

She'll be able to tell her grandchildren: "Everyone thought I was down and out and FINISHED, but I found my way through the gates at the All England Club again and again, and I did it by EARNING it when people had written off even the possibility."

Great vibes ~from~ Mirjana and FOR Mirjana. Here's to hoping she absolutely enjoys her latest Wimbledon adventure no matter who she plays, and goes out there with happy intensity to compete, ready to show what she can do, odds and seedings be damned.

And, PLEASE, let's have a draw she can use, for a change?!!!?!!!!!

Tennis Fool
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/b_q04_lucic_09_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg

Sammo
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Fabulous news for Miki (and Savinkh)! Well done.

She must be so happy and excited, and deservedly so!

Hard work paying off. No matter what happens, these are the great memories she will take forward into her happy, successful life after tennis.

She'll be able to tell her grandchildren: "Everyone thought I was down and out and FINISHED, but I found my way through the gates at the All England Club again and again, and I did it by EARNING it when people had written off even the possibility."

Great vibes ~from~ Mirjana and FOR Mirjana. Here's to hoping she absolutely enjoys her latest Wimbledon adventure no matter who she plays, and goes out there with happy intensity to compete, ready to show what she can do, odds and seedings be damned.

And, PLEASE, let's have a draw she can use, for a change?!!!?!!!!!

That would be great, but this would be even cooler

"Everyone thought I was down and out and FINISHED, but I found my way through the gates at the All England Club again and again, and finally, one year, 2012, I managed to win Wimbledon after I thrashed everyone in my way :)."

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/b_q04_lucic_09_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg
Digging the glasses! :cool:

croat123
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Into doubles main draw too, Miki & Savinykh beat the twins 6-3 7-5. Good day for Miki and her supporters :D
awesome :D

networthy
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
So happy for Mirjana. She's had an amazing week so far--and now she's one match away from being back in the top 100. Let's hope for a kind draw.

Even if she loses in her opening-round singles and doubles matches, she will still have earned ~$30,000. Not bad!

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:22 PM
One match from top 100? With cuneo sf last year?

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
She should try some glasses like the ones Tipsarevic has.

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM
I like her glasses, too ... They give her a certain gravitas, and if they help her see the lines better, well ... That's a plus. She's a cutie, glasses or no glasses.

Plus, La Lucic has been working on her upper body strength. Look at those arms. Girlfriend us been doing some training. I always felt her upper body could use a bit more muscle -- nothing to compromise her flexibility, but enough to give her some extra confidence and perhaps stability on those groundies.

Winning Wimbledon? Well, if Schiavone took the French ...

It would take a miracle-draw PLUS at least three HUGE upsets of big players.

All I want is for her to have a chance to face someone reasonably beatable in the first round, and for her to enjoy herself out there.

This is a great week for her already and should inspire her to put in a really motivated summer campaign.

One win for the Top 100. We simply have to wait and see. Miki has some say in this, too; she can march out there and just BEAT the other girl, whoever it is.

Draw tomorrow, right?

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:41 PM
One match from top 100? With cuneo sf last year?

Well, if she wins another match here she will be Top 100, and then she is entered in the 100k Italian event at Biella (sp.?) the following week (Voskoboeva is top seed). So, if she manages a win at Wimby and wins one of two rounds in Italy, she'll be just inside the Top 100.

Thinking ahead to the summer, I hope she picks up some cushion points and plays San Diego, the new Dallas event, Canada, and New Haven before the Open. She still has a lot of room to improve on her best 16 results.

mikireturns
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Also, Miki got a nice headline story at Wimbledon.com via their iPhone app. It is probably on the official site itself, but just in case it isn't, the article is below:

A scream of jubilation punctuated former Wimbledon semi-finalist Mirjana Lucic's final round*qualifying triumph as the heavy-hitting Croatian booked a return to the main draw.

While it is a long way from her dream run as a 17-year-old at The All England Club in 1999, it clearly meant a lot to the player now ranked No.129 in the world.

"It was a little bit of happiness, relief, everything," the 30-year-old told*Wimbledon.com*of her post-match yell for joy after beating Bibiane Schoofs of The Netherlands 7-5, 6-4.

"I was one out of main draw so*I almost didn't have to play qualies. When I figured out I wasn't in the main draw I took it as a challenge but also as really good practice.

"I played against really tough opponents today and yesterday against (Gisela) Dulko, a great player as well.

"She (Schoofs)*was playing unbelievable first set, I didn't even feel like I was playing bad but yeah, I saved three set points and I'm really happy about that; I was able to win in two."

While Lucic has won just one match at Wimbledon since her semi-final run 13 years ago, she admits she still feels most comfortable on the grass at SW19.*

"I just love it. It's so beautiful and it's the most important, one of the best tournaments there is. I mean, it is the top of*everything in tennis so*I always get so excited when I come back," she said.

Ladies' Qualifying top seed Melinda Czink also made a return to the main draw after her 6-3, 6-2 dismissal of Russian Marta Sirotkina in her final match.*

Czink has struggled with a lower back injury and a drop in form to see her ranking slide outside the top 100, and despite edging back up to 97th after the cut-off date for Wimbledon's main draw direct entries, she was not one to look at herself as the unluckiest player forced to tough it out in qualifying.
"Yeah some might see*it like that. I'd say lucky," the former world No.37 said.
"I'm really happy. It's been tough. These three matches were really hard but I think it's the best preparation for the grass to go into the main draw from the qualies, playing three matches.
"Most girls are practising and get as much time in as they can get, especially with the rain, and I just had three matches."

Czink will now*look to emulate her run to the third round at Wimbledon last year where she upset Samantha Stosur in the first round.
"That is my biggest win," she said. "I'm hoping for the best now."

In other final round Ladies' Qualifying matches, there were a string of upsets with Maria Elena Camerin of Italy beating 13th seed Claire Aurelle Feuerstein, Poland's Sandra Zaniewska downing fifth seed Sesil Karatancheva of Kazakhstan, France's Kristina Mladenovic beating Japanese fourth seed Misaki Doi, American Coco Vandeweghe edging Spaniard Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino and Italian Camila Giorgi ending American Alexa Glatch's run.

Following qualifying with our live text coverage

qwertytx
Jun 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm happy she was able to qualify and earn those much needed ranking points, get some match practice on grass, and even win a set she should have lost. Perfect preparation. Now let's hope she can get a great draw!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
Thinking ahead to the summer, I hope she [...] plays Canada
Pleeeeeeeeease play Mirjana! I would really love to see her live before she retires. :hearts:

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:05 AM
So happy for her!!! Win your first round now Miki!!!!!

volume3d
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Lucic Panova :) lol thank god :)!

Bartoli in 2nd round I think :)

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Yes! Good draw!

ajmo!
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
But Bartoli in R2? :/ Anyway, good luck Mirjana!

volume3d
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
[21] Roberta Vinci (ITA) v [WC] Ashleigh Barty (AUS)
Urszula Radwanska (POL) v Marina Erakovic (NZL)
[Q] Mirjana Lucic (CRO) v Alexandra Panova (RUS)
Casey Dellacqua (AUS) v [9] Marion Bartoli (FRA)

MLF
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Winnable match even though Panova beat her very easily both times they played before. But they were a few years ago on clay. Different surface and different Mirjana now.

markdelaney
Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
At least it's not a top player on their favourite surface and is a winnable match. Mirjana on form will win this, but we all know what she is like. 100 ranking points for this match is a great opportunity for her, to boost her confidence and her ranking.

kfh_9118
Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
happy with the draw, hope she can take advantage of it.
tough R2, but better than having tough opponent in R1

Good luck, Miki :bounce:

kfh_9118
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Double draw section for Miki

HUBER USA / RAYMOND USA [1] vs. CADANTU ROU / ZHENG CHN
CIRSTEA ROU / MORITA JPN vs. DELLACQUA AUS / STOSUR AUS
LUCIC CRO / SAVINYKH RUS (Q) vs. MOORE GBR / SOUTH GBR (W)
GROENEFELD GER / MARTIC CRO vs. CHUANG TPE / DUSHEVINA RUS [16]

also winnable 1st Rd :D

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Great opportunity in 1R! :D

Shame Bartoli was the seed she drew in 2R, an upset would be virtually impossible should they meet. But at least she has 1 winnable match! That's what we all wanted. AJMO! :armed:

SERVivor
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
She can beat Panova on grass. Of the top seeds, I think Bartoli is one of the most beatable. I'm watching her play Paszek now at Eastbourne. She just doesn't move well and if Mirjana plays her, the key will be to make her run, espcelliall up and back and, also, pull her wide.

tennisfan5
Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Bartoli apparently injured as well, so that could help Mirjana. But 1st rd first

Sammo
Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, at last a more or less decent draw.

croat123
Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
objectively, she should win the first round in both singles and doubles. everything after that is bonus

mikireturns
Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
GL Miss Miki ... You really earned this spot and are one of the elite 128 women at the greatest tennis event in history. Be intense, but enjoy your surroundings at the All England Club, knowing you have a chance. Play free and relaxed.

This should be a fun Wimbledon for Miki. You know she's ready and she'll fight. The doubles with Savinkh should provide a balance of levity and camaraderie.

On grass, she has a great opportunity to showcase her form against Panova. Yes, thank heaven she drew no Grand Slam champs (present or former) or top seeds. I wish her the best.

As for Bartoli, yeah, on paper it's a nightmare, but Miki is going to dig trading flatter-than-flat shots, and a potential match-up is perhaps not as clear-cut as we may think. I recall a certain other, slightly doughy, "two hands off both sides" player against whom Miki once discovered that her game matched-up well.

But first rounds do indeed come first. Have a blast out there, Miki. Do your best and keep your head. Hard work wins the day.

networthy
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
We couldn't have asked for more: she avoided a seed, Venus/Kim and tricky grass-court specialists (Pironkova, Makarova, Paszek).

Now it's all up to Mirjana. Best of luck out there!

networthy
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
This is Panova's third Wimbledon. The first two times she lost in the first round of qualies (to Pervak in 2010, Lee-Waters in 2011).

On the other hand, she reached her CH ranking just last week, so she must be playing well. Still, grass should favor Mirjana.

Let's hope for a good result.

qwertytx
Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:49 AM
Bartoli apparently injured as well, so that could help Mirjana. But 1st rd first

I think Marion will be fine at Wimbledon. Players definitely don't push their bodies the week before a major, so if there was even the slightest chance of worsening an injury anyone would withdraw. I find it unlikely Miki would beat Marion, but seeing Viginie beat Serena we know anything can happen. :)

Having said that, it really is fortunate she is not facing a seed or grass court specialist in R1. It could have been much, much worse. And she has a great chance of collecting a little more prize money in doubles (2nd round at least). This could shape up to be her most financially lucrative tournament in several years.

rucolo
Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
Congrats for reaching Wimbledon main draw, Mirjana! :):hearts:

Panova should be winnable. Would be Mirjana`s first Wimbledon win since 2000 :eek:

mikireturns
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I think Miki is going to go out there with a great attitude and fight to the end. I think having to withdraw from Eastbourne pissed her off, along with the rigmarole of being one out of the MD.

She is in the driver's seat, and I am proud of her for even qualifying, but hope, above all, she brings some urgency and attitude (with GREAT grass practice along with her confidence) and takes the next step.

On grass, Miki can be a terror. Just have fun, Miki, and fight like a wolverine.

Gosh, I hope she plays on Monday.

MLF
Jun 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Mirjana plays on Tuesday. Panova gets some early court time in tomorrow with her 1st round doubles.

mikireturns
Jun 24th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mirjana plays on Tuesday. Panova gets some early court time in tomorrow with her 1st round doubles.

Yes indeed; just scanned the schedule, greedily.

Well, we'll all be cheering her on. She's in such solid form; I really hope the best for her.

Really, if anyone else could have seen her in 2009 struggling in the hellhole of a 25K in the Florida panhandle. Skinny as a rail and freezing in a humid winter.

Now she's playing her 3rd consecutive Wimbledon main draw.

I know plenty of fans here have stuck by her through these rough times.

Fingers crossed BIG TIME on Tuesday. Hope she gets one of the speediest courts! I'm glad she will have some special camaraderie with Victoria this year. They obviously click as a doubles team.

I hope she has fun and plays her big heart out.

sportske
Jun 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_JOITLQQj0

nice vid if someone didnt see it_.)

mikireturns
Jun 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_JOITLQQj0

nice vid if someone didnt see it_.)

Well, thanks for posting this -- but I assure you that all of the regular fans of Mirjana have indeed seen these highlights and we have also discussed them. Again, thanks.

That was her 2nd WTA quarterfinal of the "comeback".

She played well but did not move well enough to take the match (which was winnable).

2012 Wimbledon is a new page for Miki, no matter what.

Her immense amount of hard work is meant to pay off. We'll see what she can do.

She needs to bring her form and her focus. She earned this chance.

Wake me up on Wednesday, please?

Massive 'Good Luck' to Miki.

mikireturns
Jun 25th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Interesting, cute little scoop-piece from the Montreal Gazette (not a bad daily, or it didn't used to be).

Some truly lovely photos of our Miki and, more to the point, it gives some nice dish: hubby Daniele is there to love her and support her, and the press is focused upon her excellent fitness, and the fact that she is, indeed, a beauty.

Some routine crap about the IMG drama, but otherwise, Miki in the http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/23/mirjana-lucic-marriage-becomes-her/

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Hopefully that's a good omen for her playing MTL this summer. :hearts: Thanks for sharing!

mikireturns
Jun 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hopefully that's a good omen for her playing MTL this summer. :hearts: Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I certainly hope so, because ya know, I got some soft spots in my poor aching heart, and one o' them spots is for Miss Miki, but another is for Mizz Britney (who was just voted sexiest woman in music history by a panel of Very Important People).

Few things get a free pass in my wicked judgment. I am shocked by my eagerness to give La Brit pass after pass after pass.

Frankly, she looks like a million bucks when a pretender like GaGa makes me wish ProTools had never been conceived.

Sorry (NOT sorry) ... I am on Team Icon, aka b spears

markdelaney
Jun 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
This is why I wanted her to draw Venus, oh well the draw was still kind

mikireturns
Jun 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Venus could just as easily have come out full of energy, given her illness.

I, for one, will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the Miki result. We gotta send our best vibes to her.

Gosh, Oudin's bubble burst, but the big-swinging Babos is a horrible 1st round for anybody.

Biggest surprise: Lisicki actually wins a match! Very sorry, though, it had to be at the expense of a Croatian, given that this can forum is frequented by our friends from Croatia.

Hope Miki can do some good stuff tomorrow. Go for it, Miki.

mikireturns
Jun 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I meant "fan forum".

I think a "can forum" might have an entirely different connotation altogether.

iPhones are not made for males with large thumbs.

TEAM LUCIC!!!!!!!

mikireturns
Jun 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know if Miki attended the Pre-Wimby party at Kensington Gardens? She always has such smart fashion sense, it would be cool to see how she looked on the evening. Didn't see her in the WTA vid ... All the girls looked pretty swanky.

Vesnina sure gets a lot of coverage at those things; deservedly, I guess. She's beautiful. Ivanovic looked the 40 year-old hostess at an upscale Chinese restaurant. Not an ideal look for her. Poor Aggie Radwanska had a bad case of prom-hair. Galina V looked super -- loved her retro Carnaby Street look.

Miki must have cut quite a striking figure, if she was there, being a statuesque girl. If anyone has a lead on any photos, please share.

Thx <3

Pebbles
Jun 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
2nd on Court 4 tomorrow. Good luck Mirjana! :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Assuming that's not a streamed court...?