PDA

View Full Version : John McEnroe on Justine

alfajeffster
Jun 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I was listening to John's commentary earlier today, and the other announcer mentioned that she's rumored to be doing commentary for Belgian TV at the French this year. Besides saying he'd love to hear that, he opined that he thought, if she got in match shape, she could beat most of these girls in the field this year. I couldn't agree more. What do you think?

thrust
Jun 5th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I was listening to John's commentary earlier today, and the other announcer mentioned that she's rumored to be doing commentary for Belgian TV at the French this year. Besides saying he'd love to hear that, he opined that he thought, if she got in match shape, she could beat most of these girls in the field this year. I couldn't agree more. What do you think?
I think her comeback game style was a bad choice. She was trying to blow opponents off the court, which is very difficult for a player of her size. Had she stuck to her 06-07 game style she would have done better, and perhaps, would not have suffered such a serious injury. I do miss her and her wonderful tennis. At thirty it would be very difficult to get into great shape and avoid injuries. Kim, Serena and Venus are going through that now.

alfajeffster
Jun 5th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I think her comeback game style was a bad choice. She was trying to blow opponents off the court, which is very difficult for a player of her size. Had she stuck to her 06-07 game style she would have done better, and perhaps, would not have suffered such a serious injury. I do miss her and her wonderful tennis. At thirty it would be very difficult to get into great shape and avoid injuries. Kim, Serena and Venus are going through that now.

I don't think she had a choice about ball-bashing. Players like Sharapova and several other baseline power mongers were blowing Justine off the court on any surface but red clay. I think that John was referring to the French anyway. It'd be pretty silly to think she wouldn't get crushed at Wimbledon even in an early round.

mistymore
Jun 5th, 2012, 03:56 AM
The funny thing is Justine was 30% of her old self in 2010 yet was probably still close to winning atleast 2 slams and ending the year number 1. Australian Open final she didnt play that well vs the Australian Open and then tennis queen Serena, and still had real chances to win, probably would have had she broken early in the 3rd. Had she won the Australian she wouldnt have drawn on fire Stosur round of 16 and probably wins, and she had real chances to beat Stosur in that match anyway despite playing extremely bad and probably would have gone on to beat anyone left in her draw even in real subpar form. She was also ahead of Wozniacki in race points at the time of her injury. Had she done better at either the Australian or French her match vs Clijsters wouldnt have taken place at Wimbledon on the same day, and the fateful injury wouldnt have happened.

Justine of 2003-2007 would have won the Grand Slam over the talentless or out of shape 2010 field. Even Serena in Australia won despite being injured and rusty, and won Wimbledon with only her serve working up to or above par for her.