PDA

View Full Version : RG R4: Stosur def. Stephens 7-5 6-4

Stonerpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
:spit:

GoofyDuck
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
I feel bad for Sloane, she was playing pretty well but in both sets she just gave away it away.

first set she hit her first and second DF in the last game.

second set bunch of UE's to seal the deal in the last game after fighting back from 1-5 (?)

Mynarco
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Cibulkova needs to take out the trash next round

misty1
thank goodness sam closed that out. She should make the final now but if she plays like she did today against cibulkova she's toast

njnetswill
Had her chances :sad:

hobahobaspirit
Low quality match

Pasta-Na
Stay-far-behind-the-baseline-Domi might beat Stosur. :secret:

dynamoRockstarr
still a good run for Sloane. She's so comfortable on the clay. I just hope she continues to progress.

Vuvurenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Multiple choking in this match from both sides, but typical WTA. Sloane, imo has acquitted herself well though.

Truck on Sam.

goldenlox
Sam is a huge favorite in her half. It looks like she has to battle her nerves. Another match like this one coming with Domi, where both players get nervous.

Huntress55
Horrible Sam, all over the place. But sometimes you have to win ugly. She better get her shite together for next round though.

Sloane :hug: Really enjoyed the way she played and seems like a lovely girl.

Charlatan
This match :rolls:

Sam is a bit lucky to scrap through this match! Solane coming back in the second set only to lose her serve at 4-5 :hug:

WD sam, now take out Domi

Libertango
Sigh. I feel sad for Sloane, which makes me think I might be liking her alot.

winone23
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks Sammy!!!
Sloane :hug:

CrossCourt~Rally
Congrats go out to Sammy :D I hope she makes the Final :bounce:

Sloane :hug: She made a nice showing for herself today :D I think we can expect great things from her in the future :bounce:

sunsets21
That was a hideous win. I have no idea how she won the first set :sobbing:. A win is a win though.

Sloane was impressive - definitely underestimated her :hug:

M.S.F
Sloane :o
Coming back for nothing :rolleyes:

it-girl
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
One thing for sure Sloane will be in the mix going forward. She has a complete game and great defense. Sam did well to win this match because she could have just as easily lost it.

Myggen
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Sloane's got talent but she's still such a junior. She has to be mentally tougher to win matches like these and not act like such a cry baby when something goes against you.

SilverPersian
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
This match was not a very enjoyable one overall. Sloane really showed a lot of potential and should have taken the first set, but whenever she got within striking distance of a set point, the level of her play fell.

Sammy was very headcasey. I think she'd heard about Vika before walking out on court...

OoohBarracuda
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Glad Sam won, but she cannot play like that again if she has any chance of getting to the final. Hopefully that was her one poor match of the tournament and she finds her form for the next round.

BH both wings
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Stevens tried what she could in the first set to keep Stosur out of the rallies, quite a deed to do that for 7 games. As soon as Stosur was able to control the rallies, all she had to do was hitting about as many winners as she hit ue's. You cannot beat Stosur by hitting moonballs to the service lines, you get them back, but heavy with spin.

Stosur didn't need to play even mediocre, Stevens was no threat at all to her ...

stromatolite
Ugly match from Sam, but everybody gets one of those on the way to the title and the win is the main thing.:cheer:

Some great play in patches from Sloane, she made Sam sweat that's for sure. Better luck next time! :hug:

aussie_fan
I can see Sam losing to Sloane in the future, thankfully it wasn't today.

A step down from her match against Petrova but it was a win hopefully it will bump her back into some form aginst Domi

fouc
eee there's a ITF tournament in Plantation, I though it was her hometown...

lee station
phew, cool shades. alright, then.

Ado.
Ugly ugly win from Sam. A win is a win I guess and another QF for her.
Sloane looks very promising. A few more years and I think she has the potential to be dangerous.

On a brighter note, Stosur overtakes Serena and back to No 5!!! :cheer:

WowWow
Sloane :hug:

Belmont Lad
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
That's what we call "wining ugly" for Sammy.

Gerri
A bit dire at times from Sam but at least she got through :yeah: I hope she picks it up for the next round(s).

Siderophyre
Ugly win, but hey, I'll take it. :yeah:

She better bring it next week though...

Dexter
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Stosur did enough to pull through. She should get to the final rather easily. Whether she will remains to be seen.
Sloane has a very nice game, I've warmed up to her in the past weeks. Good luck on grass! :yeah:

manu32
Sorry for Sloane,the worst player won,Stosur 'muscles never winning anything but GS matches is a curiosity

Pump-it-UP
:o Sloana was so useless . How is she even in top 100 :eek: :o She has no weapons.
:spit:

Material World
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
As the highest ranked member of the class of 93 Sloane has to be one for the future but needs to develop a weapon or two. Sam needs to raise her game against Domi and couldn't see her beating Pova on that form.

Setsuna.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Well done, Sam. Play better next round pls!

AaronT
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sorry for Sloane,the worst player won,Stosur 'muscles never winning anything but GS matches is a curiosity

How much did you bet on Sloane? Stop being ridiculous you sore loser.

Towanda
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
:o Sloana was so useless . How is she even in top 100 :eek: :o She has no weapons. Ok, I entrust the task of taking out the white caster semenya to Cibulkova .She'd better not disappoint me though :(

You are nuts if you don't recognize the talent that Sloane Stephens has. She played great today, and should have won. She will keep getting better too, and she certainly will learn to close out matches.

And, how in the world does a Williams sister fan make that slam against Stosur? Have you never taken a good look at Serena?

*Jean*
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sloane :hug: too bad she went back from 1-5 for nothing.

DefyingGravity
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
As the highest ranked member of the class of 93 Sloane has to be one for the future but needs to develop a weapon or two. Sam needs to raise her game against Domi and couldn't see her beating Pova on that form.

She has weapons. She's just not trigger happy all the time. She can serve in the 110's and she can really blast that forehand. She showed it at times, but Stosur's spin is not something one encounters every day.

Stonerpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Good fightback at the end from Stephens. The talent is certainly there, she just has a bit to go mentally. She's also a bit more passive than I think she should be. She had the most success today when she was slamming the ball.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Sloane has mad potential if she can keep improving. She's fast, has power, an imposing first serve.

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Sloane has mad potential if she can keep improving. She's fast, has power, an imposing first serve.
She surely has improved from last year, especially on her backhand side.

She is less laid back on the baseline than she was last year.

Both her BH and FH have more zip now.

She can still work ob taking initiative and attacking more.
She won junior doubles, she could venture more at the net behind her powerful ground strokes

She does not want to morph into a female Monfils, who is just contents rallying all day.

tennisforadults
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM

Because you only follow GS matches? :rolleyes:

A win is a win. :yeah:

Uranus
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Stosur has a shot at holding 2 slams at the same time :eek:.

KarlyM*
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Good job, Sam! :yeah:

Sloane had a great tournament - I hope she can build on this. ;)

matty
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
:o Sloana was so useless . How is she even in top 100 :eek: :o She has no weapons. Ok, I entrust the task of taking out the white caster semenya to Cibulkova .She'd better not disappoint me though :(

Are you kidding? She has a very nice forehand and backhand and a pretty good serve. Not a bad scoreline against a slam champion, either.

matty
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM
She has weapons. She's just not trigger happy all the time. She can serve in the 110's and she can really blast that forehand. She showed it at times, but Stosur's spin is not something one encounters every day.

this ^

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Sammy :) :D

The Kaz
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
Sam :shrug: At least you have your crap match out of the way now.

Time to do some Clay-GOATing and slay some midgets :rocker:

Ryan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
I thought this was a great match. Bunch of errors from Sam towards the end, but it makes sense - she's the CLEAR favourite in the top half.

I don't think she should have trouble with Domi - her forehand bounces up out of Cibulkova's strike zone, and she can get pushed around the court enough that Sam can jump in to finish points. Would love to see her in the Final.

Linda R
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Sloane played well, she definitely gave Sam a fright. In a couple of years we'll be hearing a lot more about Sloane.

Go Sammy

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Only watched parts of the 2nd set but seemed like Stephens was way more aggressive than I have ever seen her, except on big points. Had she just given up at that point? She does have some good pop on the serve and groundies when she wants.

Stosur has such a huge chance now, especially as few people have made her a title favourite. Not a very convincing win, but good enough. Onwards and upwards...

GeeTee
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM
the white caster semenya
:rolleyes::bs:

Yonexforever
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Sloane needs to play with more intensity or outward projection of confidence to send a message across the net.

tennisbum79
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Sloane needs to play with more intensity or outward projection of confidence to send a message across the net.
Good point.

She tends to understate her impressive physical presence.
As you said, she should make the opponent feel her presence in her body language and demeanor.

She holds back in her fist-pump; she should watch some VIP tapes to learn how to do it(minus adje!!) properly:lol:

Ntosake
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Good run Sloane!

JCTennisFan
Jun 4th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Stephens was not playing near consistently enough. Unfortunate to see for her, because she was playing pretty decently in the 3R. She is young though and it may take a bit for things to come together but she atleast has the weapons. I guess only time will tell how far she will go.