PDA

View Full Version : Jon "Worthless" Wertheim Questioning The Wisdom Of Vika-"Coach" Momo Partnership

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
He just did in Tennis Channel studio.

He does not think it was a good idea to hire a "new coach" so close to Grand Slam.

As professional tennis writer, I feel we should have heard this view expressed by him long before today.

What he is doing is echoing what many posters have been saying after Vika's defeat today.

Drake1980
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
:shrug:

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Couldn't you have added this to your other thread? :shrug:

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Couldn't you have added this to your other thread? :shrug:
No, I know you have more to say about the topic:lol:

This is a different topic and deserve it own thread.
A respected professional sport writer not willing to stick his neck out and waiting after the fact to express his expert opinion.

I think that deserves a separate discussion thread.

Stonerpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think it's the timing that's weird. It's the fact that I don't see any improvement in her game.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I don't think it's the timing that's weird. It's the fact that I don't see any improvement in her game.

For there to be any sort of improvement, the no.1 player has to make the effort.

For instance, she's not going to play anywhere before Wimbledon and expects to do well? :tape:

What kind of improvements were you expecting anyway? Momo can't lend her the serve, volleying skills and slice she once had... :help:

remyremy
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
come on ! azarenka thinks she can win Rolland Garros with Mauresmo as coach ??? Is it a joke ? :wavey: Did she play a single good match here ? Is mauresmo supposed to help vika to cope with pressure? :confused: Oh, ok it is another joke...
Of course we can't see any improvement since the beginig of their collaboration because vika is just a better player than Mauresmo was (even if I'm not a Vika fan).
Mauresmo is useless.
Vika, Do you ever heard about Mary Pierce ? If you're looking for some advices about winning slam and being a tennis godess, ask Mary! :wavey:

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
come on ! azarenka thinks she can win Rolland Garros with Mauresmo as coach ??? Is it a joke ? :wavey: Did she play a single good match here ? Is mauresmo supposed to help vika to cope with pressure? :confused: Oh, ok it is another joke...
Of course we can't see any improvement since the beginig of their collaboration because vika is just a better player than Mauresmo was (even if I'm not a Vika fan).
Mauresmo is useless.
Vika, Do you ever heard about Mary Pierce ? If you're looking for some advices about winning slam and being a tennis godess, ask Mary! :wavey:
Maybe Viak hired Momo for Wimby, not RG.

That is I disagree with Jon Wertheim

Jane Lane
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
For there to be any sort of improvement, the no.1 player has to make the effort.

For instance, she's not going to play anywhere before Wimbledon and expects to do well? :tape:

What kind of improvements were you expecting anyway? Momo can't lend her the serve, volleying skills and slice she once had... :help:

:rolleyes: Vika and Amelie get along very well in practices from all the videos I've seen. I like Amelie, her and Justine were the reasons I started to get into tennis, but stop thinking she's some GOAT and Vika is so thick she won't listen.

pancake
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Mauresmo is useless.

Um, being a better player or not has little to do with how good a coach Mauresmo can be.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes: Vika and Amelie get along very well in practices from all the videos I've seen. I like Amelie, her and Justine were the reasons I started to get into tennis, but stop thinking she's some GOAT and Vika is so thick she won't listen.

Why didn't you address the sentence following the one you bolded then? :rolleyes:

Jane Lane
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Why didn't you address the sentence following the one you bolded then? :rolleyes:

She was never entered in any grass court warmup event. I don't see an issue. She's not the first and certainly not the last. Didn't play one last year either and made the semis.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
She was never entered in any grass court warmup event. I don't see an issue. She's not the first and certainly not the last.

She's not good enough not to have a warmup tournie. She's no Venus! :spit:

pov
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
That's a good example of TF-syndrome. Player winning = great choices/GOAT and player losing = worst/ choices/WOAT. :facepalm:

Jane Lane
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM

Again, made the semis last year without one.

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Um, being a better player or not has little to do with how good a coach Mauresmo can be.
Couldn't agree with you anymore.
Brad Gilbert was a good coach with both Agassi and Roddick, but his professional career was mediocre.

Vincey!
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mauresmo is useless.

A coach has nothing to do with his/her past results on a tour cuz if that would be the case, many players couldn't hire any coaches lol. Do I think Mauresmo is a good coach for Vika? I really don't know, it sure didn't show this week but maybe we'll see it on grass. This season, we'll get a longer grass court season for most top players so hiring Mauresmo for the GRASS seems more accurate. Who knows tho, time will tell.

Back to this thread topic tho, I think it's stupid to comment on a coach situation AFTER the player has lost. Say your comments and concern BEFORE the tournament would begin and you'll be less pointless.

BTW I agree Mary should coach a player!:hearts: Not Vika tho, she'd need to coach a nice one.

Raiden
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Has Momo done any coaching or assisting or "partnering" or any of that kinda stuff before?

Or is Azza her first "client"?

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Has Momo done any coaching or assisting or "partnering" or any of that kinda stuff before?

Or is Azza her first "client"?

I believe she also coached Michael Llodra to winning Eastbourne championship, which is on grass

But like anything else in life , player-coach relationship success is matter of match-up.
Azarenka has to be able to buy in what Amelie is selling her, for that not only does she has to trust Amelie and that what Amelie is selling, but make it her own and trust that it will lead to success.

Given the differences in their game, that will require some time.
And I believe their work is probably more focussed on grass than clay; just an instinct on part, given where Amelie can have more impact, I have no hard proof to support

Synth
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
She was never entered in any grass court warmup event. I don't see an issue. She's not the first and certainly not the last. Didn't play one last year either and made the semis.

Hm. We'll see this year at Wimbledon. Her draw was rather soft last year, excepting Hantuchova and Kvitova, the first of which gave her problems and the second of which beat her. I think it'd be helpful for her to enter a warmup event, mostly because I don't think grass is a great surface for her, and there are many dangerous unseeded or low seed players.

If it was AO or USO I would say that Vika would probably be fine without a warmup event. We'll see when her draw comes out.

Jane Lane
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Hm. We'll see this year at Wimbledon. Her draw was rather soft last year, excepting Hantuchova and Kvitova, the first of which gave her problems and the second of which beat her. I think it'd be helpful for her to enter a warmup event, mostly because I don't think grass is a great surface for her, and there are many dangerous unseeded or low seed players.

If it was AO or USO I would say that Vika would probably be fine without a warmup event. We'll see when her draw comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for her to play one. I would have preferred she skipped Stuttgart and entered a grass court event, but water under the bridge now.

Excelscior
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM

This I can agree with. I think the likes of a Kanepi, Martic, Barthel, Serena, Pironkova, Hredecka, even Venus could trouble or beat her in the earlier rounds (especially if she continues to have that tepid serve of hers).

And you're right. Last year, when she made her first slam semifinal, it was by far the easiest quarter of the event. She may not get that this year, though she's certainly had some cushy draws so far this year.

Like you, I don't think grass is a great surface for her either. But obviously, she's a little burnt out, and possibly afraid to lose again before Wimbledon as the #1 player, and will take the rest instead.

Good Luck to her!

Raiden
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Yes, she is the French Fed Cup coach.Poppycock.

Nicolas Escude is the FFC coach (and has been continuously since 2008).

I believe she also coached Michael Llodra to winning Eastbourne championship, which is on grassYes, that's what I was looking for.

So Momo does have a bit of coaching past...... albeit only on grass.

thrust
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM

Mary Pierce is NO GOAT either, overall, I think Amelie had a better career than Pierce.

WowWow
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Yes, she is the French Fed Cup coach.
I believe she also coached Michael Llodra to winning Eastbourne championship, which is on grass

But like anything else in life , player-coach relationship success is matter of match-up.
Azarenka has to be able to buy in what Amelie is selling her, for that not only does she has to trust Amelie and that what Amelie is selling, but make it her own and trust that it will lead to success.

Given the differences in their game, that will require some time.
And I believe their work is probably more focussed on grass than clay; just an instinct on part, given where Amelie can have more impact, I have no hard proof to support

Since when?

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Since when?
I stand corrected on the FedCup.

Sharapowerr
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't even understand why Azeranka wanted to work with Mauresmo, different game styles.. maybe Vika wanted to improve the slice BH?

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I don't even understand why Azeranka wanted to work with Mauresmo, different game styles.. maybe Vika wanted to improve the slice BH?
win Wimbledon

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM

I saw you talking shit in the other thread. I liked Amélie but damn stop acting like she was a legend or something. If anything Vika's season is reminiscent of Amélie's only notable season in 06 but BETTER.
Vika could very well bag another slam (she has great chances to win the USOpen IMO) so show some respect.

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM

Why would she play a warm up while she had her best Wimbledon ever the only year she decided not to?
What kind of logic is that?

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
I saw you talking shit in the other thread. I liked Amélie but damn stop acting like she was a legend or something. If anything Vika's season is reminiscent of Amélie's only notable season in 06 but BETTER.
Vika could very well bag another slam (she has great chances to win the USOpen IMO) so show some respect.

Oh okaaaaaaaaaayyy. :haha:

Momo has only one notable season? :lol:

Charlatan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM

:weirdo: i see logic ain't your strength...go back to spewing your usual hate in every maria related thread, hun, cause that's the only thing u seem to do well on here

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oh okaaaaaaaaaayyy. :haha:

Momo has only one notable season? :lol:

Yes.

I know she wins the masters in 05 but come on now. You talk about her like if she's some GOAT while we all know the true tea. If she wasn't the only decent player we had in France I'm not sure I would give her the time of the day.

She only won the AO (with 3 retirements), Wimbledon and the Masters Cup with Serena, Tranus, Justine (3 of the 4 GS champions out). Kim was coming back from injury I think. Miss Pova had shoulder problems and she only had Davenport, whack russians and the Fat Mary to deal with.

Stop hating, you make me wanna READ Amélie and I don't want to clown her but I will if you keep on trying the Queen.

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Vika clearly did not need more help. She and her team had things really figured out prior to the clay season and now her serve is pathetic again and she is playing like poop. Coincidence? Maybe... but I think some of the things that Amelie has her trying are hurting her game. I'd rather Vika just go back to the old coaching structure.

Vincey!
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Vika clearly did not need more help. She and her team had things really figured out prior to the clay season and now her serve is pathetic again and she is playing like poop. Coincidence? Maybe... but I think some of the things that Amelie has her trying are hurting her game. I'd rather Vika just go back to the old coaching structure.

Azarenka hasn'T been playing well on Clay at all this season, way before starting to train with Mauresmo. Don't think Mauresmo has affected Vika's game at all so far, not in a good or bad way. :shrug:

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Vika disagrees with you, she would not have hired Momo if she thought she needed NO help.

If there is a sliver lining here (hard to accept, but there is a bright side to this defeat), Vika and Momo now have ample time to focus on Wimbledon.
That is where I think Momo can have more impact, given her record in Wimbledon.

I could be wrong, but I do think their target all along was Wimbledon, however with so little time between RG and Wimby, they had to start early.

As for the serve, I don't recall Vika ever having a good serve. So stop blaming Momo for that.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
:weirdo: i see logic ain't your strength...go back to spewing your usual hate in every maria related thread, hun, cause that's the only thing u seem to do well on here
Oh my... You're going to have to realize that your favs isn't all that and that there will be more defeats. Is this how you're going to react to every single one them? Get a grip. :shrug:
Yes.

I know she wins the masters in 05 but come on now. You talk about her like if she's some GOAT while we all know the true tea. If she wasn't the only decent player we had in France I'm not sure I would give her the time of the day.

She only won the AO (with 3 retirements), Wimbledon and the Masters Cup with Serena, Tranus, Justine (3 of the 4 GS champions out). Kim was coming back from injury I think. Miss Pova had shoulder problems and she only had Davenport, whack russians and the Fat Mary to deal with.

Stop hating, you make me wanna READ Amélie and I don't want to clown her but I will if you keep on trying the Queen.
You are already clowing. :shrug::yawn:

I don't know where you read me stating that Momo was some GOAT.

But it seems you think Azarenka is on her way to becoming one. :tape::haha:

Charlatan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Oh my... You're going to have to realize that your favs isn't all that and that there will be more defeats. Is this how you're going to react to every single one them? Get a grip. :shrug:

the bold part :happy: the irony! isn't it how you were reacting, though, when Miss Knowles is trying to come for your favorite and read her that she isn't all that? :rolls:

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM

You are already clowing. :shrug::yawn:

I don't know where you read me stating that Momo was some GOAT.

But it seems you think Azarenka is on her way to becoming one. :tape::haha:

Listen gerl, all I'm saying is that so far Azarenka is shaping to have a similar if not better career than Amélie, which is far from being anyone's GOAT.

So the way you clown her is ridiculous cause Amélie is nobody to write home about.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Listen gerl, all I'm saying is that so far Azarenka is shaping to have a similar if not better career than Amélie, which is far from being anyone's GOAT.

So the way you clown her is ridiculous cause Amélie is nobody to write home about.

On the other hand, you make it sound like Momo was some kind of journey woman.

You loose all credibility if you think a two-time grand slams champion is nothing to write home about either. :haha::help:

Azarenka lost today and it's not Momo's fault. Get over it. :bigwave:

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
On the other hand, you make it sound like Momo was some kind of journey woman.

You loose all credibility if you think a two-time grand slams champion is nothing to write home about either. :haha::help:

Azarenka lost today and it's not Momo's fault. Get over it. :bigwave:

Do you get what I'm saying?

I'm saying again that the way you talk about Amélie is totally disproportionate to her actual achievements. It's like you are talking about Serena or somebody who really left a mark in tennis history.
And, I repeat, Vika is the same "caliber" of champions as Amélie's. And this is the reason why clowning Vika and glorifying Mauresmo is stupid.

And since Amélie joined her team, Vika's serve regressed and she stopped winning. This is a fact. She played beter last year. So it seems like Amélie is to blame. At least this is a possibility.

Now stop trolling.

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm trying my best to stay cute but Hablo's foolishness makes it difficult for me.

hablo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Do you get what I'm saying?

I'm saying again that the way you talk about Amélie is totally disproportionate to her actual achievements. It's like you are talking about Serena or somebody who really left a mark in tennis history.
And, I repeat, Vika is the same "caliber" of champions as Amélie's. And this is the reason why clowning Vika and glorifying Mauresmo is stupid.

And since Amélie joined her team, Vika's serve regressed and she stopped winning. This is a fact. She played beter last year. So it seems like Amélie is to blame. At least this is a possibility.

Now stop trolling.

Actually it sounds like I've been wasting my time chatting with a troll. Cya. :wavey:

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
Actually it sounds like I've been wasting my time chatting with a troll. Cya. :wavey:

Where the fuck was Amélie at Vika's age? No motherfucking where. She was just a butch looking bish with no game, no career but beatdowns received by the hands of Clijsters, Davenport, Serena, Venus and everyone relevant.

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Where the fuck was Amélie at Vika's age? No motherfucking where. She was just a butch looking bish with no game, no career but beatdowns received by the hands of Clijsters, Davenport, Serena, Venus and everyone relevant.
You are misdirecting your insult and anger.

You are fighting hablo, NOT Momo. That was uncalled for

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
You are misdirecting your insult and anger.

You are fighting hablo, NOT Momo. That was uncalled for

I see no lies though.

goldlion
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
In fact Vika has lost her ROS which should be GOAT as of now.

Now she has no serve, no ROS, poor footwork, and a brainfart mind. What a world number 1! Perhaps she just took part in RG to avoid a zero pointer.

Joana
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
I don't really see the point of this partnership. I mean, if Mauresmo wants to go into coaching full time, it's OK, but I'm not sure how you can just "help out" a well established player in acquiring skills you had but they don't have.

If Graf started coaching Wozniacki now, would we expect her to develop a huge FH?

tennisbum79
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I don't really see the point of this partnership. I mean, if Mauresmo wants to go into coaching full time, it's OK, but I'm not sure how you can just "help out" a well established player in acquiring skills you had but they don't have.

If Graf started coaching Wozniacki now, would we expect her to develop a huge FH?
I do NOT think the goal is to revamp Vika's skills or give her skill she currently does not have, rather it is more strategy of the game.

That is how I read "helping out". Much like what Todd Martin did with Novak.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Azarenka hasn'T been playing well on Clay at all this season, way before starting to train with Mauresmo. Don't think Mauresmo has affected Vika's game at all so far, not in a good or bad way. :shrug:

Vika started the partnership with Amelie just prior to Stuttgart, which was Vika's first clay event of the year so they've been working together for the entire clay season. But Vika's level of play has dropped of considerably since Indian Wells. It's fair to say in Miami she hit the exhaustion wall, and she hasn't had a bad clay season, but she wasn't playing as well as she had been. I don't think it's Amelie's fault for Vika's failure in Paris, but I do feel that her team (as a whole) is trying to fix things that aren't broken like tinkering with her service motion in Madrid.

However, hopefully Amelie will aid Vika better on grass than clay.

Harry.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Honestly, I think this coaching relationship is pointless. What on earth could Mauresmo have added to Vika's game? It's obvious they've tried to fiddle with the serve and look at what's happened to it now. Gone back to the old days of serving 10+ DF's in a match. This is what happens when you try to tinker too much. Why change a winning game plan? It's beyond me. It's no coincidence that her poor form has coincided with the appointment of Mauresmo. I'm not blaming Momo for anything but, too many voices in your ear telling you what to do is never a good thing.

AmeDevotee
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
It seems to me some posters are expecting too much too soon. Vika wouldn't have hired Amelie if she didn't think she could help.

As others have said, I think their focus is on the grass court season and the Olympics. If it works, great. If it doesn't, credit to Vika for at least trying something new. :)

Amelie has proven ability as a coach - Llodra won Eastbourne with her guidance. As for her ability as a player, her results speak for themselves. :yeah:

tennisbum79
Jun 4th, 2012, 12:09 AM
It seems to me some posters are expecting too much too soon. Vika wouldn't have hired Amelie if she didn't think she could help.

As others have said, I think their focus is on the grass court season and the Olympics. If it works, great. If it doesn't, credit to Vika for at least trying something new. :)

Amelie has proven ability as a coach - Llodra won Eastbourne with her guidance. As for her ability as a player, her results speak for themselves. :yeah:
Totally agree.
I have trying to make all the points you are making here in several posts

jameshazza
Jun 4th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Why do we think that MoMo is responsible for this:
(a)Vika's new shorter service motion made it shittier. That was done whilst preping for the clay court season. Amelie was there for like a week before Stuttgart? I'm sure she's responsible. :rolleyes:
(b)Vika is a very streaky player in the sense that when she's on her winning streaks she's on fire no matter the surface. When they end she's not quite the same thereafter. Her clay court form hasn't been very impressive from the get go really.
(c)I'm sure Amelie still isn't 'the boss' if she wanted to make brainfart decisions concerning Vika's game Sam and Vika would have something to say about it.

Raiden
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Why do we think that MoMo is responsible for this:
(a)Vika's new shorter service motion made it shittier. That was done whilst preping for the clay court season. Amelie was there for like a week before StuttgartHogwash.

Azarenka hasn'T been playing well on Clay at all this season, way before starting to train with Mauresmo. Don't think Mauresmo has affected Vika's game at all so far, not in a good or bad way. :shrug:LOL

Why y'all making stuff up? Didn't your mother told you not to lie? :lol:

Azza didn't hit one singe ball on clay before Momo showed up - which was right at the start of April (keep in mind end of march is Miami and Stuttgart is way later at the end of April).

In other words, throughout the entire month of April, Azza was doing nothing but flat out daily preparing herself for the clay season... with Momo by her side

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Azarenka-and-Mauresmo-practice.jpg

Stonerpova
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I do NOT think the goal is to revamp Vika's skills or give her skill she currently does not have, rather it is more strategy of the game.

That is how I read "helping out". Much like what Todd Martin did with Novak.

Me too. And we all know how that partnership turned out :tape:

Vincey!
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Hogwash.

LOL

Why y'all making stuff up? Didn't your mother told you not to lie? :lol:

Azza didn't hit one singe ball on clay before Momo showed up - which was right at the start of April (keep in mind end of march is Miami and Stuttgart is way later at the end of April).

In other words, throughout the entire month of April, Azza was doing nothing but flat out daily preparing herself for the clay season... with Momo by her side

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Azarenka-and-Mauresmo-practice.jpg

Wasn't that picture taken in Rome? Anyway what I meant is that Azarenka had started to struggle in Miami and wasn't playing near her best throughout the whole clay season before Mauresmo would have had any impacts on her.