PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else thinks this RG is ridiculous?

Halepsova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't deny I'm so bitter now. My faves are all gone. But the fact that a lot of top 10s were out before QF is just ridiculous. Never seen something like this in decades, I think. WTA :help:

Wouldn't be surprised if Sara Errani wins it. :o

purerandomness
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
The fact that the Prize Money is quite the same as a Premier Mandatory. I thought this tournament was a Premier Mandatory instead of a grandslam. The seeds are out too and hardly anything to watch. So I'm getting bored. However I still watch for my Stosur, Kim Na Na, and Sharapova.

fung627
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Assuming Stosur, Sharapova, Li & Kvitova wins there R16 match, there are still 5 top 10 players in the QF.

Ellery
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't deny I'm so bitter now. My faves are all gone. But the fact that a lot of top 10s were out before QF is just ridiculous. Never seen something like this in decades, I think. WTA :help:

That would be the most amazing thing ever :sobbing:

RenaSlam.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
That's the WTA for you. Deal with it.

Halepsova
Assuming Stosur, Sharapova, Li & Kvitova wins there R16 match, there are still 5 top 10 players in the QF.

Except for Careerslampova, I wouldn't put my money on them. :o

SilverSlam
A picture says a thousand words :hysteric:

http://i.imm.io/rqY2.jpeg

Gilas.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Give credit to the opponents though. Kanepi, Cibulkova, and Kuznetsova are no slouches on clay and have superior clay records than their respective opponents. Only Serena's loss was :weirdo:. So yeah, maybe they are a BIT unlucky :oh:

Only Maria winning can save this slam now :hearts:

sxeraserhead
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
If you watched the clay season I don't think any of these early exits are particularly shocking except for the Serena bombshell :lol: Azarenka and Radwanska were visibly poor on clay compared to HC, Bartoli has been a disaster the entire clay season, and Wozniacki is always a joke on clay. Errani has won 3 tournaments and hasn't lost to anyone on clay who wasn't in the top 10 so her QF isn't surprising either ;)

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
it is not that much of a surprise except Serena ... the Holy CAV trio (Caro, Aga, Vika) suck on clay ... since JuJu retired, the most consistent clay players are Na, Maria, Petra, Sam and Fran who are all still here except Fran

Marcus1979
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
its times like these I miss Justine on tour even though I didn't like her she made it that no grand slam was a walkover :lol:

homogenius
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
no

Cleffa
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
RG is ridiculous? Or do you mean WTA is ridiculous? :oh:
If it's the latter case, then as RenaSlam. said, deal with it, it's WTA.

bobito
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
No. I think the WTA tour with its hard court obsession that promotes one dimensional players who lack the variety of skills to play on different surfaces is ridiculous.

sxeraserhead
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
No. I think the WTA tour with its hard court obsession that promotes one dimensional players who lack the variety of skills to play on different surfaces is ridiculous.

You make it sound like this applies to the WTA only :happy:

markedman
Of course it isn't ridiculous. The best player over the 2 weeks wins. It's the same at every slam.

The Kaz
Errani in the QFs, Kerbers in the QFs, Varvie, Kaia, Yari in the 4th round, Kvitty doing well. Azarenka is out of Sammy's way and she is playing a scrub to reach the QF too. Serena lost in the 1st round. I couldn't be happier :cool:

Best Slam EVER! :hearts:

duhcity
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
No

DeliriousPotato
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Hear Hear!

TheHangover
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
no i think it's ridicolous that every grand slam there is somebody that opens up a thread saying "this grand slam is ridicolous". you should show more respect for players that aren't your favourites

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM

OMG...if she does...then :help: in the WTA...I just mentioned in another thread..there has been little to zero coverage of this years tournament here in the states. EARLY in the morning on ESPN around 4 in the morning (and who's going to wake up that early?) but none of the "highlighted" matches have been put on the major networks. I know its kinda shallow for Americans to do this, but if there is no real rivalry, top americans and inconsistent winners, the networks are not interested...(i havent really been interested in it either.) right now i don't care who wins, I do hope Sloan upsets Stosur...that would somewhat lure me back into this tournament...

ananke
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
lol no

Overrated top10 seeds fall out and some players with actual skills and nice games go forward.

John.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
This kind of thing happens almost every year at RG. No great shock

vozas
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
The best clay court players are still in the draw. Had Li or Sharapova or Stosur bombed out, then yes, it would be a hot mess not worth watching. But they didn't, and shit is about to get serious now.

It's not like it's any worse than say the 2006 RG. Henin's road to the title was a joke. She played has-beens and nobodies up until her semi with near-retirement Kim Clijsters and her submissive pigeon Kuznetsova in the final. Not to mention she was quite shitty during the whole tournament :shrug:

Some people seem to reset their memory as soon as a new slam begins.

njnetswill
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Nothing but Serena was a surprise, so I would stop eating sour grapes and appreciate the fine play that some of the mid-tier players are doing at the tournament. If you only can appreciate the top players then come back for the YEC :wavey:

b2b
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
sam kvi and Na still in. i'm lucky. but i am hoping for a new champion. so...

dsanders06
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
It's awful. There looked to be so many mouthwatering match-ups at the beginning of the tournament (Serena-Sharapova, Azarenka-Stosur, Serena-Wozniacki, Li-Kvitova, etc.), and almost all have been ruined. I thought we were finally past this shit :facepalm:

ananke
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
It's awful. There looked to be so many mouthwatering match-ups at the beginning of the tournament (Serena-Sharapova, Azarenka-Stosur, Serena-Wozniacki, Li-Kvitova, etc.), and almost all have been ruined. I thought we were finally past this shit :facepalm:

Those match-ups always end up being complete beatdowns or total crapfests anyway... I'd take a good match between random players over a shitfest from two "faves" any day.

vozas
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Those match-ups always end up being complete beatdowns or total crapfests anyway...

True :oh:

claypova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
As long as Maria remains in this, it's not ridiculous! :)

binky-GOAT
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM

This. Lets see which top players suck on clay, those of which produce flat strokes and cannot slide, etc..

Azarenka
Kvitova
Radwanska
Wozniacki (although she doesn't hit as flat, but she does hit the classical topspin either)

So yeah all of generation suck suck on clay :lol:

Sharapova (her determination to improve her clay game is working though)
Williams Sisters

Not many of the really good players have a clay game :shrug:

The only really good players which can play on clay are:

Stosur
Li Na
Kuznetsova

================================================== =========================================

In conclusion, the tall skinny girls who usually dominate everywhere else cannot play in clay. So this isn't surprising and it's great that RG separates them.

Alejandrawrrr
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's RG :shrug:

aussie_fan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
its times like these I miss Justine on tour even though I didn't like her she made it that no grand slam was a walkover :lol:

Apart from when she would retire from slam finals....

Material World
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM

It's been like this for years hasn't it? And it's to do with the fact that clay doesn't suit the BBB style that Generation Suck have adopted.

Sombrerero loco
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
roland garros is always a mess :o awful again

Laura_VeeFan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Roland Garros has always been the messiest slam. Watch Errani serve Schiavone 2010 teas and win the whole thing.

Timariot
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
What is this complaining about? Defending champion is still in the draw, aint she not?

hingis-seles
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Talk about short-term memories. Does no one remember RG 2001 during the WTA's peak? Seles and Davenport withdrew with injuries. Mauresmo and Venus lost in the first round. Dokic lost in the second or third round. It was a mess of a tournament.

marineblue
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM

Damn, how can they?! They should make all tournaments to be played either on grass or indoors, shouldn't they?:tape::lol:

bbjpa
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
NO , one of the most exciting slam for the moment

Li or Sharapova out next will be paradise :devil:

mickymouse
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Except for Serena's loss, the other upsets weren't exactly upsetting. WTA has never been as consistent as the ATP where the top seeds are concerned.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
I thought going in Serena, Maria, Sam, Li, Petra were favorites, and only Serena is out.
I didnt think Vika would win 2 majors in a row, and didnt think Aga or Caro would breakthru on clay

So were probably heading to Li/Kvitova, winner plays Maria(who goes for #1).
And we see how Sam handles pressure of being favorite in her half
Looks like an interesting ending. And #1 should be at risk at Wimbledon also

NashaMasha
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Damn, how can they?! They should make all tournaments to be played either on grass or indoors, shouldn't they

Slams - 2 HC, 1 Grass, 1 Clay
Premier Mandatory - 3HC, 0 Grass, 1 Blue Ice
Premier 5 - 4 HC, 0 Grass, 1 Clay
WTA Championships - 1 HC

Total: 10 HC , 1 Grass, 3 Clay(including blue shit)
is it fair?

Tennis Fool
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Talk about short-term memories. Does no one remember RG 2001 during the WTA's peak?
You're talking about 11 years ago. The posters who populate and troll GM now weren't even in kindergarten then. :lol:

AnomyBC
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Ridiculous? Only if by "ridiculous" you mean "fucking awesome" :)

Darop.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think it's interesting. The fact that Schiavone was able to win and reach the final in two consecutive years, the fact that Errani's in the QFs and that alot of top seeds have fallen I think is a reason of reflection for WTA: variety has vanished in favor of BBB (I'm not being biased against BBBs, that type of play is perfect for hardcourts, on which most WTA tournaments are held), and any player who can play an all court clay game has a big chance at RG. Then there are uber-BBBs (like Maria and peak Petra) who can blast through opponents anyways, clay or no clay :p

There's NO WAY IN HELL Schiavone would have been able to win any other GS, exactly for this reason.

Tennisstar86
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM

you mean tennis in general.... lol, but I cant talk. I hate clay personally.

The fact that the Prize Money is quite the same as a Premier Mandatory. I thought this tournament was a Premier Mandatory instead of a grandslam. The seeds are out too and hardly anything to watch. So I'm getting bored. However I still watch for my Stosur, Kim Na Na, and Sharapova.

IS it? cheap as french. smh. :tape: Cant say Im surprised...my boss is french and refuses to give me an apporpriate raise...

Tennisstar86
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
I think it's interesting. The fact that Schiavone was able to win and reach the final in two consecutive years, the fact that Errani's in the QFs and that alot of top seeds have fallen I think is a reason of reflection for WTA: variety has vanished in favor of BBB (I'm not being biased against BBBs, that type of play is perfect for hardcourts, on which most WTA tournaments are held), and any player who can play an all court clay game has a big chance at RG. Then there are uber-BBBs (like Maria and peak Petra) who can blast through opponents anyways, clay or no clay :p

There's NO WAY IN HELL Schiavone would have been able to win any other GS, exactly for this reason.

I dont know about that. That year she won the french open she almost shocked Serena at the Us Open. Its all about confidence. a break through is a break through. Schiavone's got game.

manu32
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Talk about short-term memories. Does no one remember RG 2001 during the WTA's peak? Seles and Davenport withdrew with injuries. Mauresmo and Venus lost in the first round. Dokic lost in the second or third round. It was a mess of a tournament.

2001's:
it was the last good finale @ FO, JCap vs Clijsters,after that , weak and boring finales since 10 years..
Mauresmo,Venus,Dokic, Davenport never contenders,lol at your post,
Did you ever attend a FO finale? obviously not...
And this year is bad too for curious draw,schedule etc..

John.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM

Exactly and a year later it had Clarissa Fernandez as a Semi Finalist. The form guide should be ripped up when RG is concerned

Big_Banana
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
if this is ridiculous maybe people will stop complaining about NaNa's win last year. at last.

debby
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
NO !!!!! RG IS AMAZING WHEN SHARAPOVA WILL LOSE ! :bounce: It's the tournament my fave used to own, and once she was gone, well it's always random winners !!!! LOVE IT !!!!!

thrust
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
That would be the most amazing thing ever :sobbing:

Amazing and Wonderful!

Wiggly
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
There's not a lot of buzz. Ever since Serena lost, everyone has given the trophy to Sharapova and has already moved on.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Actually this is the first time in my opinion that we have great clay court players lined up for the QF till now. We have Errani who is playing amazing tennis and we have Kerber who is playing magnificent tennis as well. I'm watching Sloane play Stosur now and she is really playing well as well :shrug:. So yeah this year we have great performances all around.

Tennisstar86
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Actually this is the first time in my opinion that we have great clay court players lined up for the QF till now. We have Errani who is playing amazing tennis and we have Kerber who is playing magnificent tennis as well. I'm watching Sloane play Stosur now and she is really playing well as well :shrug:. So yeah this year we have great performances all around.

theres nobody in the stands. :tape:

mac47
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM

I've been loving every single result. It lacks only a loss by Pova to put the cherry on top of the sundae for me. But since she stored up a loving shitload of karma in her two wins against Kvitty this year, I have hope that justice will be served, and that bitch will join Caro and Vika in the dumpster of losers.

If she wins, it'll be a damned shame, because she'll have won a career slam with just four wins. And she does not deserve that.

But I have serious hope. This is RG, the graveyard of favorites. Stephens, Shvedova, Kanepi, Cibulkova, Rus, Zakopalova all have a shot even if Kvitty loses. Any of them, or Li or Stosur, would be acceptable. Basically, I'm so happy with the list of who has already lost that I'm ready to root for anyone who's left to beat Pova.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
theres nobody in the stands. :tape:

That doesn't deny the fact that she's playing well :shrug:.

debby
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM

.... the first time? since when?

and lol at the rest "great clay court players" how sad how the level dropped nowadays

SymphonyX
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I've been loving every single result. It lacks only a loss by Pova to put the cherry on top of the sundae for me. But since she stored up a loving shitload of karma in her two wins against Kvitty this year, I have hope that justice will be served, and that bitch will join Caro and Vika in the dumpster of losers.

If she wins, it'll be a damned shame, because she'll have won a career slam with just four wins. And she does not deserve that.

But I have serious hope. This is RG, the graveyard of favorites. Stephens, Shvedova, Kanepi, Cibulkova, Rus, Zakopalova all have a shot even if Kvitty loses. Any of them, or Li or Stosur, would be acceptable. Basically, I'm so happy with the list of who has already lost that I'm ready to root for anyone who's left to beat Pova.

Hon, Kvitova's a loser. She belongs in the landfill of Generation Suck. :lol:

BitchPova will eat them alive. You better pray Kvitova simply loses to save herself some face -- she's not playing well and clay isn't her thing. Her destiny is to join stablemates Caro, Vika and Aga in their solace of mediocrity.

BFF Rena roots for Pova, bitches. She can't lose.

P.S. In all seriousness, it's great seeing some good clay-courters on the top-half of the draw. Though it's kind of sad seeing it's nearly impossible for any of them to beat Sharapova.

Beat
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
i'll never understand why people are moaning so much when there are upsets and surprises in a tournament. to me, that's what makes it exciting and why the women's tournament is much more of a thrill than the men's.

Tennisstar86
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM

:rolls:

That doesn't deny the fact that she's playing well :shrug:.

sorry, I just meant, "wow, theres nobody in the stands for a slam champion and an up and comer..." :tape:

then again... Theres noone watching Del Potro either....

jj74
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Well, Justine was the last of the top players whose game was really good on clay, so nothing surprising here.

The 90's were a totally different story, because top players were really good on clay, but 00's, only Justine was a natural clay courter. Well, Sveta could be the one to beat if she was on top form, but she is very far from that

nfl46
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Unlike the men, the women are unpredictable. Its the same Top 3 men in every SF for the most part.

goat
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
I think social class diversity is ridiculous... This is tennis so no

PetraReeMona
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Apart from when she would retire from slam finals....

How many did she retire from :confused:

I thought it was only one, but you said finals. So what were the other ones? :shrug:

Stern
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
no, 2012 would be great. Sharapova is going to be best RG champion in recent year.(second to Henin) Myskina, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Schiavone and Li were a little lucky to win.

Darop.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I dont know about that. That year she won the french open she almost shocked Serena at the Us Open. Its all about confidence. a break through is a break through. Schiavone's got game.

She didn't even face Serena, she lost to Venus in straights, 6 and 4.
I know Schiavone's got game (I'm a fan for a reason), but it'd be extremely unlikely she win a slam off clay, unless she had a much easuer draw than she did at RG '10.

debby
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
no, 2012 would be great. Sharapova is going to be best RG champion in recent year.(second to Henin) Myskina, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Schiavone and Li were a little lucky to win.

What ?
Ivanovic is a better player than Sharapova on clay ! Kuznetsova and Schiavone have a great game on clay.
Also if Sharapova is winning RG, well her draw was kinda weak.

Darop.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
i'll never understand why people are moaning so much when there are upsets and surprises in a tournament. to me, that's what makes it exciting and why the women's tournament is much more of a thrill than the men's.

Agreed :)

I was fed up of Nadal-Federer, now I'm fed up with Djokovic-Nadal.... Imagine having Sharapova-Azarenka finals all the time :tape: fan or not of the players, it'd get boring.

Beat
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
What ?
Ivanovic is a better player than Sharapova on clay !

as she's just proven by bombing out in round 3. or he result in stuttgart. or in madrid. or in rome.

Ryan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM

Maybe two of the worst posts on this board, ever. :tape: You've only been watching tennis for 6 months, haven't you? This is nothing.

fouc
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I think social class diversity is ridiculous... This is tennis so no

:unsure:

tennisfreak13
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM

+1

PetraReeMona
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Nope - it's one of the most exciting slams for a long, long time - apart from last years Wimbledon :)

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
What ?
Ivanovic is a better player than Sharapova on clay ! Kuznetsova and Schiavone have a great game on clay.
Also if Sharapova is winning RG, well her draw was kinda weak.

Are you kidding me? I agree about Kuznetsova being a better clay court player but Schiavone and Ivanovic are not :scratch:, Schiavone has a lovely game but any power hitter on a good day would hammer her :shrug: even on clay.

Halepsova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Are you kidding me? I agree about Kuznetsova being a better clay court player but Schiavone and Ivanovic are not :scratch:, Schiavone has a lovely game but any power hitter on a good day would hammer her :shrug: even on clay.

Ivanovic on her prime years was a good clay court player.

debby
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
as she's just proven by bombing out in round 3. or he result in stuttgart. or in madrid. or in rome.

I meant "was" sorry.
Ivanovic 2007- 2008 > Sharapova on clay anyday imo

HRHoliviasmith
Beyond ridiculous.

Mr.Sharapova

She was, but still she is nowhere Maria's level on clay now as proved by their encounter in Rome :shrug:.

keithb1961
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
People complain about every tournament it seems, whats new? I think its great seeing new faces, if you dont like that, go watch the ATP and see the same final four almost ever time.....

rnwerner
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
NO, it isn't.

madmax
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM

Ivanovic won her sole RG facing weak competition too. Let's not act like beating her compatriot lapdog Junkovic and slam finals headcase Safina is some sort of GOAT achievement:wavey:

Stonerpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
RG is always strange. With the exception of the Serena loss there haven't been that many surprises :shrug:

Israel
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
This Roland Garros is great, I don't understand what's wrong...

Mary Cherry.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Yes but ridiculous can be a good thing.

Matt01
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Ivanovic won her sole RG facing weak competition too. Let's not act like beating her compatriot lapdog Junkovic and slam finals headcase Safina is some sort of GOAT achievement:wavey:

And she reached another RG final by destroying your fave. :wavey: Don't be retarded. :)

cowsonice
Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Now? Yes.

I thought RG would be more stable as there is a steady resurgence of clay-courters, but no. Classic WTA flopping.

However, I really really do think this can be attributed to how the WTA has no legitimate clay tuneups except for Rome which some people skip out on due to the timing. Charleston-green clay, Madrid-high elevation/blue clay wtfness, MM's don't count because of the weak fields they attract.

C. Drone
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Now? Yes.

I thought RG would be more stable as there is a steady resurgence of clay-courters, but no. Classic WTA flopping.

However, I really really do think this can be attributed to how the WTA has no legitimate clay tuneups except for Rome which some people skip out on due to the timing. Charleston-green clay, Madrid-high elevation/blue clay wtfness, MM's don't count because of the weak fields they attract.

Tell that to Errani. :p

BH both wings
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Now? Yes.

I don't quite understand your reasoning here: Do you think that players are not well prepared for RG clay? Or that the spectators and media are not well prepared in predicting the matches due to lack of prior form indication?

cowsonice
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't quite understand your reasoning here: Do you think that players are not well prepared for RG clay? Or that the spectators and media are not well prepared in predicting the matches due to lack of prior form indication?

Yes to the first question.

To your second question--I think the media is prepared. They look at past performances at RG and other Grand Slams and major events in the past year to base their predictions, as do many of us at TF.

danieln1
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Roland Garros has always been a mess so itīs no surprise also.

But this yearīs top half could be the most open of all time

Aaric
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Best thing for WTA would be if Maria wins the whole thing

Trickle
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:18 AM
It is not ridiculous until you see some random person near the finish line.

Randomness is great to an extent. But ultimately you want consistency, it's what makes stars, it's what makes people want to see triumph. They like to see champions, not one hit wonders.

Now look at these R4 match ups. In any other tournament they could easily be mistaken for 1st round match ups... but this is Roland Garros post Henin, anything can happen. If all the seeds make it past their opponents, then order shall be restored.

But think about it, who wants to see a Shvedova-Lepchenko Rus-Zakopalova QF line up? A Li-Kvitova, Kanepi-Sharapova line up seems much more enticing.

I've bemoaned the ATP for it's predictability and praised the WTA for it's unpredictability in the past but then we come to a place where we want to see the WTA players keep up their good work.

As for the other side, it's not too much of a surprise as people are making it out. We all knew Domi was a bad match up for Azarenka re: their last match, Sam made it through, Sara is a Clay MM queen and Angie is pretty much the breakout star of the past year.

tennisforadults
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:49 AM

It's not ridiculous.

First of all, it's WTA. Upsets in slams are quite normal.

Take a look at pre-tournament contenders:
Serena OUT
Sharapova IN
Azarenka OUT
Li IN
Stosur IN
Kvitova IN
Radwanska OUT

Players in hot clay form:
Errani IN
Kerber IN

Remember Errani has won most matches on clay this year? (or is it Serena?) So it won't be that big a surprise if she makes the Final. You are just not used to see her late in Grand Slams. But every rising star gets her first time.

DefyingGravity
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I mean, the top half has been logical how it played out. Victoria is still vulnerable on the red stuff, and Dominika has been to the semifinals before. Sara is a brilliant clay court player, and she's done well this year. Angelique is perhaps the best player a lot of people have not heard of. Stosur is proving that Australia was a blip/Mauresmo situation (though I don't like the fact she hiccuped pretty badly against Stephens today).

The bottom half, you've still got three major champions with Kvitova, Li, and Sharapova in the bottom half. Lepchenko is a feel-good Olympic story. Aranxta has had her second good Roland Garros in a row, and could be a rising star like the McHale-Stephens duo. Klara had previously threatened to upset Serena in the 2009 French Open, and can really move well. Yaroslava is another feel good, and then you've got Kaia who is showing her potential on clay again (former QF-ist).

Moreover, the tournament is reminding me a lot of the 2004 French Open. You recall that the bottom half quarterfinals were all pretty much following seed with Venus-Myskina and Serena-Capriati. Even though the lower seeds won, they were still supposed to make it to that QF.

The top half is where it all seemed to go awry. Dementieva-Mauresmo, Suarez-Sharapova. Elena had taken out Davenport in the 4R, Mauresmo got Maleeva, AMG, and Parra Santonja in her portion. After she upset Justine, Garbin lost to the then unknown Zheng, which paved the way for Suarez to reach the QF's. Petrova lost to Marlene Weingartner....what....and Zvonareva lost to an 18th seed named Sharapova. And then we all know Suarez and Dementieva would make the semis out of that group, and then the Final that Never Happened would....not happen.

That's what this is looking like right now. But even so, 2012 top half isn't nearly as wrecked. There's no random QF match like...oh:

Karatantcheva vs. Likhovsteva, Suarez vs. Clarissa Fernandez, Suarez Navarro vs. Jankovic, Cirstea vs. Stosur circa 2009, Clijsters circa 2001 vs. Mandula, Pre Clay-GOAT Henin vs. Krasnoroutskaya...2003's Petrova vs. Zvonareva...

Big_Banana
Jun 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM

:hysteric:

Z. Strychova, Soler, Cirstea, Kvitova, Azarenka, Sharapova, Final.

At least you said "little".

I can't anymore.

Given the fact that Masha will reach the final without playing a top 20 player until the QF. Jesus.

binky-GOAT
Jun 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
It's absolutely ridiculous that some here are saying the champions should be predetermined. If the players are not good enough they don't deserve to win it. You shouldn't alter the surface or anything of the sort so the top players win all the time. :facepalm:

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM
The remaining players aren't responsible that all is full of mugs... :smash:

wxBO28j3vug

hingis-seles
Jun 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM
2001's:
it was the last good finale @ FO, JCap vs Clijsters,after that , weak and boring finales since 10 years..
Mauresmo,Venus,Dokic, Davenport never contenders,lol at your post,
Did you ever attend a FO finale? obviously not...
And this year is bad too for curious draw,schedule etc..

Oh please. Mauresmo and Dokic had done very well in the warm-ups that year and their losses were considered big upsets. Before 2001 RG, Mauresmo had lost to Seles (2000) and Hingis (1999) so this was the loss which started her choker at RG tag. Venus was coming off a dominant 2000 and was certainly not expected to lose R1 after reaching QF in 1998 and 2000.

Clijsters and Henin broke through at this tournament, but the draw pretty much fell apart. Hingis only reached the SF because of her easy draw since she was playing like shit. Petra Mandula, Lina Krasnoroutskaya and Francesca Schiavone were in the QF. Need I say more?

Navratil
Jun 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I don't get your point! There have been much worse Grand Slams in the last years.

But it hurts that Ivanovic didn't take her chance of this draw! :(

Navratil
Jun 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Absolutly! She's the only player people outside this forum even know :D

debby
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM

lmao

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
People dont all want the same thing. Some want to see Nadal win every round easily.
Some want close matches with upsets, like Serena & Vika losing.

Its a typical tournament with most of the logical contenders still around
Last year's champ is still there, along with Wimbledon & USO champs, and the player who won Rome the last years.

RenaSlam.
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't think its that bad, to be honest.

markhingis
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
If I had bet all of my money on favourites to lose, I would have been the richest man in my city ;)

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
If you dont enjoy the up & down nature of the Serena loss, Vika loss, Wozniacki loss, and this Sharapova match, then you dont enjoy womens tennis

Halepsova
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM
The former champion has gone. Thanks to the unseed from Kazakhstan. :o

bobito
Jun 4th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The former champion has gone. Thanks to the unseed from Kazakhstan. :o

If she's from Kazakhstan then I'm from Mars. :rolleyes: