PDA

View Full Version : It's official : Even the tennis gods want Sharapova to complete the Career Grand Slam

Vuvurenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
This is an unavoidable situation and completely destined by the tennis gods and fate. The stars are now aligned perfectly for the Golden Girl of WTA to complete the Career Grand Slam. After a grueling wait of 4 years, seems like Maria finally has the gods smiling upon her, what originally started out as a toughass draw has now been reduced to carcass and remains everywhere. Every player (except Li) that had the chance to take out Maria have all been taken out already, plus she owns both Stosur and Kerber in the top half, if she faces any of them in the final it will be just another flogging by Queen Maria.

The only one left standing in Maria's path to GOATness is Li. However Li has been looking shaky in her previous match, Maria's slaying of her first three opponents was reminiscent of AO 08 :worship:

aselto
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
After Serena, Aga, Vuvurenka, it's time for her to have a bad day. It'd be bad if she got to #1.

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
If she doesn't win it now, I doubt she will ever win another slam. The only potential obstacle is an inspired Li.

tkutsaar
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
This is an unavoidable situation and completely destined by the tennis gods and fate. The stars are now aligned perfectly for the Golden Girl of WTA to complete the Career Grand Slam. After a grueling wait of 4 years, seems like Maria finally has the gods smiling upon her, what originally started out as a toughass draw has now been reduced to carcass and remains everywhere. Every player (except Li) that had the chance to take out Maria have all been taken out already, plus she owns both Stosur and Kerber in the top half, if she faces any of them in the final it will be just another flogging by Queen Maria.

The only one left standing in Maria's path to GOATness is Li. However Li has been looking shaky in her previous match, Maria's slaying of her first three opponents was reminiscent of AO 08 :worship:

Selective memory- I remember Angie annihilating Maria in Paris this past February on her way to winning her first WTA title.

Vuvurenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Selective memory- I remember Angie annihilating Maria in Paris this past February on her way to winning her first WTA title.

Yes, but Maria annihilated Angie in Rome, on red clay no? Let's be honest, do you really see her beating Maria after looking how they've performed so far?

The Witch-king
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Please Venus curse do your thing http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/praying/smileys-praying-554778.gif

aselto
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, but Maria annihilated Angie in Rome no? Let's be honest, do you really see her beating Maria after looking how they've performed so far?

Kerber had played a late long match the night before and her fatigue was very visible, though obviously Pova would still be the favorite against fresh Angelique.

sxeraserhead
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Don't take Stosur so lightly, their last match was a cracker.

Steven.
After Serena, Aga, Vuvurenka, it's time for her to have a bad day. It'd be bad if she got to #1.

I agree, it's her turn. She's far from favourite to win the title. Li, Kvitova, Stosur are the running faves and if they don't win it, there's a higher chance of Kerber, Errani, Cibulkova and Zakopalova to win their maiden slam than for Maria to win her 4th slam.

mauresmofan
I put money on Serena to win the title but I always felt that the big threat was Na and I feel the same way for Sharapova, there is something about how well Li Na has been playing the last few weeks and even in Madrid she played a very good match with Kerber. I never felt like Azarenka had a great shot at the title. Stosur too is playing very well but Sharapova has that height advantage to take away her key strength the kick serve so even though Stosur is a good bet for the title as well. Sharapova's biggest threats (Na & Kvitova) are in her section but she can only play one of them and probably Na.

Shivank17
Another jinx thread :lol: :facepalm:

The Witch-king
For goodness sake we've all seen Pova lose to players she's beaten multiple times before
Let's not get ahead of ourselves

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
:facepalm: this is never going to stop :facepalm:

Temperenka
It will be epic if she loses in the final. She'll be a slamless #1 :lol:

M.S.F
http://i49.tinypic.com/2m4yvyr.gif

nfl46
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
I still don't think Maria will win it. We know she loves to lose in major finals now a days.

Just watch, Pova won't make it to the finals, if she does, she won't win. This is just like everyone thought Stosar was going to beat Franny in 2010.

Shivank17
It will be epic if she loses in the final. She'll be a slamless #1 :lol:

In case you were born yesterday, Sharapova has already won 3 slams :hug:

Vuvurenka
Another jinx thread :lol: :facepalm:

I'm not jinxing :o Well don't you dare to tell me you don't think Maria is now in a very good position to reach the final :angel: The last time she was in such ominous form was AO 08 and look at how that slam turned out, no?

SHILIN-GOAT
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
LMAO just like 2011 all of TF except Maria fans will suddenly be fans of Na :rolleyes:

madmax
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
no one cares about gods or other divine fools - Maria's racquet will do the talking and walking:wavey:

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not jinxing :o Well don't you dare to tell me you don't think Maria is now in a very good position to reach the final :angel: The last time she was in such ominous form was AO 08 and look at how that slam turned out, no?

Yes you are. This is really pathetic to bring this thread when Vika loses, we all know you're waiting for Maria to lose too just like all Vikatards but guess what, even if Maria lose it won't destroy her she always come back stronger the same can't be said for your crappy fave.

Shivank17

I wouldn't say so. Once it gets all windy like today, Maria struggles a lot. Besides she has possible semis with Li and even before RG started, after Serena, Li was always the biggest threat to Maria. :shrug: She has a game that troubles Maria a lot and plus on a windy day she can easily win against Maria like last year. :shrug: So just wait and watch, don't start moaning already :hug:

Temperenka

Shut the front door, really? NO WAY!

:secret: (I meant her #1 ranking (based on 52 weeks) will not have any slam wins, idiot) :secret:

doomsday
but she'd be a slamless No.1 in that she would have achieved her ranking points without a win...

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
LMAO just like 2011 all of TF except Maria fans will suddenly be fans of Na :rolleyes:

I'm on board the Li train :drive:

(well, assuming Sloane won't win) :lol:

Marcus1979
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM

altho technically she would be a player with no slam titles on her ranking.

Its funny the criticism Hingis, Clijsters and Mauresmo got in the early 2000s when they had no grand slams on their ranking in early 2000s when they held the #1 rank.

these days someone can get to #1 without winning a slam and not a eyelid is battered by the masses :lol:

SilverSlam
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM

:facepalm:

I'm well aware, but she wouldn't be holding a grand slam title, so how would she be any better than Caro becoming number 1, or Safina, or Jankovic....

If she doesn't win, then she won't have a slam from her current points, and therefore, slam less number one...

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM

none within the last four years.

:secret: Those aren't still on the rankings :secret:

So really, she would be a "slamless #1" in that she got to #1 without a slam on her ranking.

Joining the likes of Safina, Jankovic, and Wozniacki. Good company at least :yeah:

TheHangover
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
yesss maria win rg (if errani doesn't reach the final :oh:)

sxeraserhead
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
:facepalm:

I'm well aware, but she wouldn't be holding a grand slam title, so how would she be any better than Caro becoming number 1, or Safina, or Jankovic....

If she doesn't win, then she won't have a slam from her current points, and therefore, slam less number one...

She'll be among the group of players like Davenport, Hingis Clijsters that also held #1 without winning a slam in that year, there's already a precedent for this.

Vuvurenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yes you are. This is really pathetic to bring this thread when Vika loses, we all know you're waiting for Maria to lose too just like all Vikatards but guess what, even if Maria lose it won't destroy her she always come back stronger the same can't be said for your crappy fave.

Oh so you can now read other people's minds as well? So when other people made 10538493853 similar threads expressing their honest opinions they were all jinxing as well? Why didn't you direct your criticism towards them too? Or just because I really think Maria almost has this slam in her hands you think I'm jinxing her on purpose :lol: If you really had confidence in Maria you wouldn't get so uptight about this thread :wavey:

flareon
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
The stars are certainly allining, but she needs to be tested, Li, Petra and sammy are all still there...

Jogi
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
the jealousy that goes along with the Azarenka-fans, now that Sharapova has a realistic chance of fulfilling the career GS is remarkable, grow up kids :)

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM

So really, she would be a "slamless #1" in that she got to #1 without a slam on her ranking.

Joining the likes of Safina, Jankovic, and Wozniacki. Good company at least :yeah:

Are you really making fun of Pova right now? I swear those Vikatards :help: just be glad she found a way to win her only major, you should be thankful Maria decided to welcome her in the club because she is not going to win one any time soon.

Marcus1979
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

Hingis in 2000 and 2001

Clijsters in 2003

Mauresmo in 2004

CameronCopper
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

I just cant :facepalm:

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hingis in 2000 and 2001

Clijsters in 2003

Mauresmo in 2004

Pova in 2005.

Steven.
oh my god temperenka is so out of control in this thread, Maria hasn't even reached the final yet. :sobbing: settle the fuck down you senseless animal.

HippityHop
If Maria doesn't win this she deserves six of the best. :devil:

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
oh my god temperenka is so out of control in this thread, Maria hasn't even reached the final yet. :sobbing: settle the fuck down you senseless animal.

Just having some bitter fun. This is TF after-all.

Jogi
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hingis in 2000 and 2001

Clijsters in 2003

Mauresmo in 2004

you can add Davenport to that list, sounds like decent company

M.S.F
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
you can add Davenport to that list, sounds like decent company

Yes, Davenport in 2004 and 2005.

SilverSlam
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
well. at least Serena stopped Maria from winning Madrid...

I mean can you imagine the gifs that would be floating around the site...

:hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

Shivank17
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Shut the front door, really? NO WAY!

:secret: (I meant her #1 ranking (based on 52 weeks) will not have any slam wins, idiot) :secret:

She hasn't become a slam less No.1 yet :hug: So stop your moaning and go moan about how your extremely injured was crushed today :hug:

And that doesn't make her a SLAMLESS NO.1 IDIOT, she still has held slams no matter when, but that means she IS capable of winning slams so STFU and stay pressed. At least she doesn't play tourneys when she is 'extremely injured' just to avoid a 0 pointer :awww:

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
She hasn't become a slam less No.1 yet :hug: So stop your moaning and go moan about how your extremely injured was crushed today :hug:

And that doesn't make her a SLAMLESS NO.1 IDIOT, she still has held slams no matter when, but that means she IS capable of winning slams so STFU and stay pressed. At least she doesn't play tourneys when she is 'extremely injured' just to avoid a 0 pointer :awww:

Your username says it all.

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
I was rooting for her to win it from the start, but she BETTER FUCKING REALLY WIN IT NOW. Do not mess up like Miami.

Marcus1979
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
i was just thinking about that, because she was seeded first at the US that year, but i thought maybe someone was out injured...

so really nothing new then -.-

Pova was world #2 for US Open but she reached #1 during the indoor season.

Cosmic Voices
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
JINX THREAD

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyfdpnT1kC1r9ekmao1_500.gif
come on masha :oh:

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Wait, do I need to say again Miss Po was ALREADY a slamless #1 when she first claimed the top spot back in 2005?

Are you slow or just confused.

Brad[le]y.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Rankings reward consistency. besides her shopping spree loss in Paris, she's only lost before the SFs of ANY tournament once, that's impressive. If she gets to #1 without RG, it's well deserved :shrug: And she's not slamless ffs

ExXotikal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Pova was world #2 for US Open but she reached #1 during the indoor season.

Maria was ranked #1 the monday before the 05 USO but lost it at the start of the tournament.

C. Drone
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM

oh, bitter? how does it feel? tell us about it.

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM

You're out of control because your fave got kicked and outplayed by a dwarf :lol:

FleetSeb
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
I'd say that the weather is going to work against her. The next week is supposed to bring some of the worst conditions seen in recent years at RG.

doujyr
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM

Maria was sick. not sure why she played, clearly some obligation to the organisers/sponsors

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
oh, bitter? how does it feel? tell us about it.

As a Sharapova fan, you should know. ;)

C. Drone
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
As a Sharapova fan, you should know. ;)

but you know, just sharing experience. ;)

Steven.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
let's not sink to his level :rolleyes:

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Tennis slays me :lol:

No but really, Maria winning this slam is completely fine with me. Maria was my favorite player for more than 5 years (and the reason I started watching tennis).

I just wish Vika had Maria's R4/QF draw.

SilverSlam
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM

No but really, Maria winning this slam is completely fine with me. Maria was my favorite player for more than 5 years (and the reason I started watching tennis).

You wish Vika had to face Caro then Williams back to back?

Don't forget that coming into this tournament, everyone was talking about how easy Vika had it. Just because favourites lose, doesn't mean their draw is any less difficult.

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM

OMG another bandwagoner :lol:so you jumped on Vika because she finally won a major :lol: and quit on Maria, you stopped supporting her even after that shoulder surgery, you were never a fan to begin with :lol:

And we know what you wished, just be glad that Vika drew Clijsters in OZ semis and not Petra otherwise Vika would still be slamless.:wavey:

dsanders06
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
The last two years, both times a player who was outside the top 10 betting favourites won RG.

Can we just wait for the matches? :rolleyes:

Jogi
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM

realize it's not the draw, have you seen Sharapova play this RG? she's the overwhelming favourite, because she's playing clay court tennis levels above the others, esp Azaranka's

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
OMG another bandwagoner :lol:so you jumped on Vika because she finally won a major :lol: and quit on Maria, you stopped supporting her even after that shoulder surgery, you were never a fan to begin with :lol:

And we know what you wished, just be glad that Vika drew Clijsters in OZ semis and not Petra otherwise Vika would still be slamless.:wavey:

Vika has been my favorite player sine early 2008... I am not a bandwagoner.

I stopped liking Maria soon after I joined this forum. Couldn't really explain it... I just stopped wanting her to win.

ServeCaspian
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry you might hate her, but it would be good if the sports most famous and popular star was #1. That said, I would prefer if she got it on the back of a career Grand Slam. And we aren't taking anything for granted. It should be NID til the SF but conditions aren't great and if errorpova turns up, she can lose to anyone.

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM

I stopped liking Maria soon after I joined this forum. Couldn't really explain it... I just stopped wanting her to win.

I can explain it, Maria stopped winning because of her shoulder and you realized it was time to go elsewhere :lol: it's fine.

Sharapowerr
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Maria is the best player left in the draw, so wouldn't be surprised if she wins this.

dsanders06
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM

I doubt Azarenka would've beaten Kanepi.

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I can explain it, Maria stopped winning because of her shoulder and you realized it was time to go elsewhere :lol: it's fine.

Or Vika was just more likable. But whatever the reason, it's not worth talking about in this thread nor should it matter to you.

fung627
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I just wish the coming week will not be as windy as today. It will hurt Masha otherwise...

KBdoubleu
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
It's hard to see this not happening, unfortunately. Stranger things have happened though.

Drake1980
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
:sad:

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Or Vika was just more likable. But whatever the reason, it's not worth talking about in this thread nor should it matter to you.

Yeah keep telling yourself that.

ACEof DIAMONDS
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
People overreact like there isn't plenty of tennis left. You guys should be ashamed. This is clay nothing is a g-tee here and the tournament thus far should prove that.

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM

:lol: I don't know why you care who I personally find more likable. Vika has been my favorite for more than 4 years. Everyone likes their favorite for a reason... Again it shouldn't matter to you, but I'm flattered you feel the need to care so much. :angel:

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM

Maybe you met Maria's fanbase :scratch:

Matt01
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM

It's true, though. :shrug:

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
:lol: I don't know why you care who I personally find more likable. Vika has been my favorite for more than 4 years. Everyone likes their favorite for a reason... Again it shouldn't matter to you, but I'm flattered you feel the need to care so much. :angel:

I'm just saying that it is weird to not support your fave when she is fighting to get back to the top after a major surgery you can get that right :lol: so for me maybe you never liked her in the first place you were just here for the success but this is just my opinion.

It's true, though. :shrug:

No it ain't.

SoClose
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
when are trolls like you going to stop posting jinx threads ? :facepalm::no:

Break My Rapture
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm just saying that it is weird to not support your fave when she is fighting to get back to the top after a major surgery you can get that right :lol: so for me maybe you never liked her in the first place you were just here for the success but this is just my opinion.
Why are trying to act like a beacon of perfection in Maria's fandom? :lol:

fifty-fifty
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
RG Final: Cibulkova def Sharapova 6-0,6-1

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Why are trying to act like a beacon of perfection in Maria's fandom? :lol:

I'm not. I just don't understand some people who are bashing players like that, hoping for them to lose, trolling here and here and then when they're exposed they use this pathetic card "I used to liker her you know" blablabla :rolleyes: if you don't like her it's fine but just admit it and stop trying to blame the player for your change of heart.

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Just stop. It's petty and you sound stupid.

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Just stop. It's petty and you sound stupid.

You didn't answer to my question though but yeah I'll leave it to that you don't have anything to say I suppose.

it-girl
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
If that was the case, every player in the draw would have withdrew. That would be the only way it would be guaranteed. There is still more tennis to be played and most people know that Maria normally doesn't struggle against players in the earlier rounds, her struggles come later in the tournament. There have been times she has struggled early but not as much as she cruises in the early rds.

perseus2006
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
As much as the Draws have collapsed, Pova's prospects for 2012 RG have not changed at all. From the begining, MaKiri 4th Rnd wasn't a problem, Williams QF would have been Pova's first win over her since 2005.

The SF versus LiNa/Petra is an extraordinary challenge with Sam looming for a Final. Those are the matches that were the initial challenges and they remain as the current challenges.

For Pova, the big matches are still in front of her. Nothing has changed. Just some of the noisey fluff and futile fury has flaked off.

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Is that why you had her in your sig until like a few months ago? :confused:

A few months ago :lol: wasn't that the time when Maria won Stuttgart :lol: like I said a bandwagoner.

Vincey!
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
If she doesn't win it now, I doubt she will ever win another slam. The only potential obstacle is an inspired Li.

Yes Li is her big challenge on clay, and if Li wouldn't have choked in Rome, Sharapova would have been up for another embarassing loss sadly. SO if Li can finish her match and stay strong all match long, Sharapova will have ALOT to do specially considering she could be nervous again in a GS final. She's the favorite now but she's not that far behind Li or even Stosur tbh. I sure want her to win but there's no point thinking it's in the bag now. Far from it.

Charlatan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
why the fuck do u have to make this bait thread? :facepalm:

she's only in R4...Kanepi, Kvitova, Li Na, Stosur, Kerber can still beat her. Nothing is warranted...So stop creating this kind of useless thread as if you are a prophet or something

Temperenka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
A few months ago :lol: wasn't that the time when Maria won Stuttgart :lol: like I said a bandwagoner.

Victoria has been my favorite player since late 2008/early 2009 (go back and look at her cheering threads if you must). Maria used to be one of my favorite players and then over time I've stopped liking her as much. That's completely normal and nothing about that makes me a bandwagoner.

Again, I have no idea why this matters to you... I shouldn't have to explain myself!

doomsday
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Victoria has been my favorite player since late 2008/early 2009 (go back and look at her cheering threads if you must). Maria used to be one of my favorite players and then over time I've stopped liking her as much. That's completely normal and nothing about that makes me a bandwagoner.

Again, I have no idea why this matters to you... I shouldn't have to explain myself!

It doesn't explain why she was in your sig a few months ago, were you rooting for her ? And suddenly not anymore ? Sorry but that's the definition of bandwagoner, deal with it.

Stern
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Sharapova complete career slam on Saturday!!! Can't wait!!

Matt01
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM

Yeah, keep jinxing her, guys :yeah:

Golden_Slam1
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
I think if anybody deserves it then she does after her shoulder problems. Would be a perfect way to get her back to No.1 as well.:)

2moretogo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
There's still too much tennis left to play. The only thing I am willing to bet the house on is Nadal.

rafaelkafka
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:19 PM

Roland Garros will be far more tolerable having a living Goddess as champion.

And after that, grass, yesssssss, grass, finally, grasssssssssssssssssssssss!

NashaMasha
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
There's still too much tennis left to play. The only thing I am willing to bet the house on is Nadal.

If you bet a house on Nadal you won't win more than a doghouse or nesting box

tkutsaar
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Yes, but Maria annihilated Angie in Rome, on red clay no? Let's be honest, do you really see her beating Maria after looking how they've performed so far?

I do not deny that should it actually be a Sharapova-Kerber final, Maria would be a heavy favorite to win. What I object to is your bold assertion that Sharapova “owns” Angie so that it would be a routine flogging of Angie by Maria in such case. I saw that QF match in Paris last February, and it was Angie owning Maria in that match; it was Maria who was being flogged.

That match alone dispels your assertion. Besides a H2H score of 2-1 by definition does not indicate any “owning” by the player with 2 wins over the one win player. Just to state the obvious when two players play each other only three times one of them has to win two matches. Now a case may be made if the H2H is 3-0 that the three win player owns the 0 win player but even that is stretching because of the paucity of matches between them.

So yes if a Sharapova-Kerber final does transpire the realistic expectation is a Sharapova victory but a Kerber victory in such instance would not be a shocking upset to most tennis fans; certainly not like the Razzano victory over Serena was shocking. Also in case you were not aware Kerber is now ranked #10 but was ranked #92 at the start of last year’s US Open a mere nine months ago.

ServeCaspian
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I don't think a 6-4, 6-4 win over tankpova is a 'flogging' as such. Masha had contracted the flu for the second year running after Fed Cup and didn't even have the energy to grunt. The only reason Masha played that MM was 'cus she withdrew last minute last year. You'll probably go down the whole 'excuses' road now which is understandable, but some excuses are valid. Masha herself admitted her thoughts were long in her bed. Much as I like Angie and hope she does great things...I'm failing to see the significance of this match.

Also you have to be Royalty to do any flogging.

Stonerpova
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I don't think a 6-4, 6-4 win over tankpova is a 'flogging' as such. Masha had contracted the flu for the second year running after Fed Cup and didn't even have the energy to grunt. The only reason Masha played that MM was 'cus she withdrew last minute last year. You'll probably go down the whole 'excuses' road now which is understandable, but some excuses are valid. Masha herself admitted her thoughts were long in her bed. Much as I like Angie and hope she does great things...I'm failing to see the significance of this match.

Also you have to be Royalty to do any flogging.

And roasted :hi5:

@danieln1
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:26 AM
If Li or Kvitova play their best like they did last year at RG and Wimbledon we all know what would happen, they would win again.

Too bad this wont happen and the russian will win this slam :secret:

DefyingGravity
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I won't say that Maria has to win it, but it is Maria's to lose. I sure hope she doesn't. She'd save the WTA's credibility at the French Open, to be honest.

She was one of the top three favorites. Two of them have since departed, and while there are still good players in the draw, Maria is the top name. Her making it to the semifinals was the best thing for that Roland Garros, coupled with Li's historic win. She had proven she was back after getting beaten pretty soundly by Petkovic in Melbourne, and it gave her the impetus (though the USO was a disaster) to reach two GS finals, and go undefeated on the red clay with titles in Stuttgart and Rome.

It is literally all hers to lose now.

SHILIN-GOAT
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:40 AM
HELLO this is the same thing you guys said last year and look what happened :oh:

NashaMasha
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:50 AM
HELLO this is the same thing you guys said last year and look what happened :oh:

some forum members trying to jinx Masha as usual

Still 4 matches to play and all really clay court best players still in the draw ..... We shouldn't overestimate some upsets, because all "so-called favorites" were favorites on paper and in reality were not a threat for Maria , didn't show any decent tennis in first rounds and looked vulnerable for anyone in good form.... except Serena , who really didn't get a chance and time to adjust to the real clay courts.....

But it's her fault not to prepare for red clay courts , playing trash warm-up tournaments

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Maybe you met Maria's fanbase :scratch:

:haha:

TeamUla
Jun 4th, 2012, 05:51 AM
She will still be

http://ciyaaro.com/portal/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Agnieszka-Radwanska.-right-of-Poland.jpg

Miamiless.

Smith Saybrook
Jun 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Were we not saying this last year when the RG SF were Schiavone, Bartoli, and Li?

The thing is Kvitova and Li have both beaten Sharapova at a late stage in a major. If they both get knocked out today, then you may have a point. Or if the gods make sure Sharapoa doesn't play in the wind for the rest of the tournament. ;)

IF anything the gods are smiling on Stosur to win her first RG. With Azarenka taken out of her path and a decent top half section, if she can get Li Na in the finals, it'll feel like a nice gift wrapped trophy , no?

Johnbert
Jun 4th, 2012, 06:00 AM
just let's stop this tournament and give sharapova the trophy hm?! why people acting like it's written in stone she will win this? same thing before the tournament started with serena. we all know what happened...