PDA

View Full Version : RG 4th round Kerber Moonballs into the QF def Martic 6-3 7-5

Monica_Rules
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Tennis died a little today thanks to Kerber :rolleyes:

pancake
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I think Kerber plays very well? Yes she may have a less appealing game than Martic does but she has a pretty nice game herself too.

Gilas.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Possible another SF for Angie :eek:

mckyle.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Okay, I'm glad you mentioned the moonballs in the title, because I was going to ask about that. I've never watched Kerber before, but I know she's having a great season. I was more focused on the Errani match, but when I watched the occasional points from the Kerber match, Kerber was moonballing every time! :lol: Is this her typical style of play?

Hashim.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well done Angie:hearts:
21/14 w/ue:)

Don't lose the next round please.:o

Jane Lane
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Petra :hug: Good stuff today but not solid enough in the big moments.

Kerbies :yeah:

Dexter
Martić is so much fun to watch, I love her game. I didnt watch many of her matches before RG but I'm officially a fan since this week. Her net coverage and skills are amazing. I'm looking forward to see how she will do on grass. All the best! :hug:

It's amazing what confidence to you. Kerber has just become top10 player and she seems as though she's been there for ages playing like an experienced top player. She's an awesome match player and got the tactics right today. Congratulations! :yeah:

Chaosm21
Okay, I'm glad you mentioned the moonballs in the title, because I was going to ask about that. I've never watched Kerber before, but I know she's having a great season. I was more focused on the Errani match, but when I watched the occasional points from the Kerber match, Kerber was moonballing every time! :lol: Is this her typical style of play?

No :lol:
But she sucks on slow clay.

Dan_Doe
Both players played really well, the match was nice to watch and I'm glad Angie did it :D

rnwerner
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
I don't like the way Kerber played today.
How can that be succesful, no pace at all, she was very nervous, no length in shots, no good tactics.
She only made fewer errors than her opponent.
That was like Wozniacki in 2010.

Very very disappointing match from both players.
Probably because of the conditions and the pressure.

LUVMIRZA
Petra has a great game style like Henin(no one-hander though):hearts: Way too many errors costed her the match. Good play from the Canary:cheer::cheer: She is supposed to make the semis, guess she will.

Monica_Rules
Whenever i've seen Kerber play both live and on TV. She does nothing with the ball except get it back in play. This match was even worse. And she is a top 10 player in the 21st centuary?

cherboy
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Kerber was moonballing every time! :lol: Is this her typical style of play?

No, it isn't. But i think she realized that it works against martic, who hasn't got a backhand and a really shaky forehand.

Steven.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
sad martic lost. She plays some nice tennis but congrats to kerber. fun match :cheer:

Mixal
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Kerber looked so lifeless for her standards today. Both mentally and game-wise. Maybe she's tired after having a great year.

This is the best I've seen Martic play by far. Since Kerber was pushing, there was no danger of her FH and BH breaking down today. Positive attitude too, even her coach seemed very pleased :lol:

Excelscior
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Great Match.

Some great points by both (with Martic being more spectacular with slices, and drop shots and volleys for winners). Of course, Kerber ran down some crazy shots for stunning winners. But it was Kerber's consistency, and lack of errors (Martic made a boat load) that brought her the win. She was more solid, if less spectacular, especially on the big points.

Nonetheless, congrats to both players. And good luck to Martic in the future. With work, consistency, and belief, she should have a good one.

Steven.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM

you'll find Kerber produces her best tennis on the run. Great footspeed and she's great at deflecting balls on the run for a winner, mostly because her backswing is so short that she has so much control over it. That being said, she is by no means a counter puncher and will play aggressively against players she can over power but she can't do any of these on clay. It's a wonder how she's doing so well during this year's clay season.

Moo_21
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Another great win for Kerber although this was not one of her best performances. I thought she didn't look comfortable today and a bit tired too, which would be understandable considering the amount of tennis she has played this year... anyway she played the big points better and finished off the match well.

Martic gave a very respectable account of herself. She has such a great game and so much variety too. I hope she can build from this breakthrough week and push on up the rankings.

sxeraserhead
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Whenever i've seen Kerber play both live and on TV. She does nothing with the ball except get it back in play. This match was even worse. And she is a top 10 player in the 21st centuary?

Kerber has been involved in some great matches this year. Bartoli in Paris, both matches against Wozniacki, Madrid match against Li Na, etc. The angles she can create on her forehand are really something. She is a scrub retriever on real clay, though.

rnwerner
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Only because Martic hit some winners at the net (and this was nice to watch) it doesn't mean that this was a good match.

Queenpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Oh PETRA. So many errors. You beat yourself. sort this out and see you soon :)

Steff_forever
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
what ??? :cuckoo:

both were moonballing tactically, and it wasn't clueless

WELL DONE ANGIE, FIGHTING IT OUT MENTALLY ! :worship: :bowdown: :worship:

Petra has to diminish her UEs someday if she really wants to get into the top10. Her game is very complete...

Laura_VeeFan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Martic has such a good net game! If she cuts down on the errors and sort of "gels" her game together I can see her going really far. It's good she's so young, so she has time to do that.

Congrats to Angie though. To think, last year we all thought she was a fluke semifinalist, now she has a good chance to get into another one :spit:

Alizé Molik
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
The thing is you can't blame girls like Kerber for having a game style that exploits the hideous inconsistancy of 80% of the tour. At least she has the ability to redirect the ball and hit some winners.

Queenpova
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Martic has such a good net game! If she cuts down on the errors and sort of "gels" her game together I can see her going really far. It's good she's so young, so she has time to do that.

Congrats to Angie though. To think, last year we all thought she was a fluke semifinalist, now she has a good chance to get into another one :spit:

But she isnt SO YOUNG, she's 21 already

Kon.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Well done Angie! :cheer:
Good run from Martic. I really enjoyed watching her game, I think we'll see more from her.

Nalby fan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Really enjoyed that match. Some sick drop shots from both ladies,and I continue to marvel at Kerbers defensive skills. Great to see a young player like Martic being so accomplished at the net-I hope to see a lot more of her in the near future.

serendipitynow
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Angelique :cheer: :cheer: now get your 2nd slam semi against Errani..

Martic i've become a fan.. that drop shots, slices.. really amazing to watch.. :hug:

tennismaster8820
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
The thing is you can't blame girls like Kerber for having a game style that exploits the hideous inconsistancy of 80% of the tour. At least she has the ability to redirect the ball and hit some winners.

Not just that, Kerber also has agressive game too when needed.
Today it wasn't needed bc Martic was making many UEs.
I love Kerber's game, certainly not the best suited for clay but she used her draw perfectly.
Great chance to reach SF now!

Great tournament for Petra! :D
Hopefully this gives her enough confidence to believe in herself more and plays agressivly without self doubting her shot selection.
Too bad serve and backhand were not working today.
Good luck in future!

Steff_forever
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Great Match.

Some great points by both (with Martic being more spectacular with slices, and drop shots and volleys for winners). Of course, Kerber ran down some crazy shots for stunning winners. But it was Kerber's consistency, and lack of errors (Martic made a boat load) that brought her the win. She was more solid, if less spectacular, especially on the big points.

Nonetheless, congrats to both players. And good luck to Martic in the future. With work, consistency, and belief, she should have a good one.
this :yeah:

Laura_VeeFan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM

Oh, for some reason I thought she was younger :spit:

There's still time to improve though.

Patrick345
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Oh, for some reason I thought she was younger :spit:

There's still time to improve though.

21 is still a baby these days.

PetraReeMona
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Great exciting all court/skills/variety tennis match - loved it!

Both are two of my three favourite girls, but one has to lose. Petra did extremely well to get to 4th round this year and hopefully this breakthrough and belief in her game will give her a bit more confidence so she can build on that and move up the rankings/go far in tournaments with that absolutely BEAUTIFUL ELEGANT game of hers. Good luck in the future Petra :hearts:

Angie... for me definitely the best defender on tour and is well worthy of her top 10 ranking. She's also great and fun to watch and I hope she goes further in this tournament. Love her game too.

Well done to both girls on a great match :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Kerber adapts her game really well depending on her opponent. And if her opponent is making a lot of errors, Kerber will see to it that she does not. What makes Kerber a top 10 quality player is that she can play both top level defence and offence. Normally what this means is when she goes up against an offensively orientated player she will beat them with her defense, whereas when she goes up against a defensively minded player she will beat them with her offense. With Martic going for her shots, it's not surprising the Kerber played defensively today.

Very pleased that Martic is picking up fans and admirers with her tennis. Clay isn't her best surface and Kerber far from a good matchup for her but still she made it competitive. On grass Petra will be even better and that is something to look forward too.

BH both wings
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM

You are right. She has only 8 years left to prepare for a Roland Garros victory ...

ananke
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Kerber looked so lifeless for her standards today. Both mentally and game-wise. Maybe she's tired after having a great year.

This is the best I've seen Martic play by far. Since Kerber was pushing, there was no danger of her FH and BH breaking down today. Positive attitude too, even her coach seemed very pleased :lol:

Haha, yeah, the coach seems like a great guy with somewhat fatherly attitude. He certainly looked proud of her.

CuteKoala
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Good fight, Angelique! :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM

When you consider how few teenagers there are currently in the top 100, 21 is still very young. Especially when you consider that complicated games based on more that brute force take longer to develop.

Petra has a great future but I wouldn't expect her reach her best level until she gets to her mid 20s.

Matt01
Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM

:facepalm:

Sombrerero loco
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
nice angie :)

Monica_Rules
Martic playing style will take longer to develop. As soemone else said she'll hit her peak in her mid 20's.

She should have a good grass season if she keeps her good form.

*Jean*
Well done, Angie! :hearts:
When I think back to 2005 when I was the only one cheering on her, that makes me smile. :)
Keep going!

borrowedheaven
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Very though conditions for Kerber, Her balls had much less impact today. And I don't know how she does it, but every match I watch that involves Kerber, I'm always entertained. Who cares about her wonky technique, she's such a joy to watch.
Martic is too, amazing net coverage and some very skilled drop shots. If her game matures and she manages to cut out those UE, she would make a very nice addition to the top 2O.

Chance
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Martic has a lovely net game...maybe there is hope for this generation afterall..I'm going to keep my eye out for her matches, she is quite entertaining.

QuestJon
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM

Yeah. I also smelled the scent of corpses. Dramatic situation.

For that reason tennis needs fans like you to do the reanmiation.

Cleffa
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
The double faults and UEs cost Martic the match otherwise she could've gone through to QF. But great tournament for her and great performance.

Btw, is Kerber a natural left-hander or not cause I saw her using right hand to sign the camera?

Patrick345
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
The double faults and UEs cost Martic the match otherwise she could've gone through to QF. But great tournament for her and great performance.

Btw, is Kerber a natural left-hander or not cause I saw her using right hand to sign the camera?

She is whatever she wants to be. :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well done Angie :bounce:

Beny
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
How can that be succesful, no pace at all, she was very nervous, no length in shots, no good tactics.

Agreed.

It´s so weird that Kerber is probably in her worst form this year, but she keeps winning somehow. Honestly, the way she plays now, so many errors, bad serving with no pace at all, slow shots and again even many mistakes. But she keeps winning. I hope she peaks in the next rounds though. If a Stuttgart-Kerber or Copenhagen-Kerber showed up until the final, that would be great.

But playing like this I think even Errani can beat her easily

tkutsaar
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM

Nice to see Angelique has arrived! She is attracting her fair share of haters but she still has a way to go before she rivals Caro. The need for her opps defeat her in order to save the WTA is a good useful first step though.

Mustafina
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
This was a much closer match than the scoreline suggests. Martic is one to watch for sure.

And Kerber!! Beat Errani and make your 2nd semi!

Jose.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Watch Kerber reach the final...

Petra, still an AMAZING tournament :hug: :worship:

Corswandt
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM

I saw only the last 2-3 games and it didn't seem so bad. Kerbie was playing wall, but Martic was doing what she had to do, working the points so that she could make her way to the net since there was no way she could hit through or outlast Kerbie from the baseline.

It´s so weird that Kerber is probably in her worst form this year, but she keeps winning somehow. Honestly, the way she plays now, so many errors, bad serving with no pace at all, slow shots and again even many mistakes. But she keeps winning. I hope she peaks in the next rounds though. If a Stuttgart-Kerber or Copenhagen-Kerber showed up until the final, that would be great.

But playing like this I think even Errani can beat her easily

Kerbie looks mentally shot. Many matches played this season, extremely draining game style. Plus her usual game doesn't really work on clay, so she's just flat out retrieving most of the time - and most of the time that will do the business.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Kerber :cheer:
Martic, good run so far.:cheer:

Drake1980
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Moonballs? :shrug:

dizoo
Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
people saying so many bad things about Kerber, however she has won.... that means something doesn't it? i mean...Martic is talented, but the top 10 player is Kerber and Martic has never done ANYTHING special in wta
i don't get it this posters...

gmak
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Angie :yeah: :D
this was a big match for her :)

let's make another slam SF now :rocker:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
people saying so many bad things about Kerber, however she has won.... that means something doesn't it? i mean...Martic is talented, but the top 10 player is Kerber and Martic has never done ANYTHING special in wta
i don't get it this posters...

The thing is posters on this board have a strange tendency to believe a match should be decided solely by who hits the most winners. In this instance it was Petra. In reality of course matches are decided equally between winners and errors and it is just as important to keep you error count low as it is to hit winners. I like both players. But on this crazy board, it is inevitable if a player hits a massive amount of both winners and errors that the posters on this board will say things like player B deserved to win or player A didn't really win, player B beat herself.

I like both players but right now it's true Angie is the better player and obviously deserved to win the match. Still Petra is a player to look out for and this was a battle between two players with great futures, not one.

StoneRose
Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Saw the match, Petra Martic has a very entertaining game. Happy Angie won :cheer:, the last one standing of my favs. So go Angie!

Beat
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM

such utter nonsense.

sCoTt.ChE.
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I really like both players, but I fully expected Angie's confidence and Petra's inexperience playing big matches to decide this one and so it did. Petra couldn't maintain the level she showed in previous matches by the sounds of it, but Angelique's defence probably had a lot of say on that.

Unexpected run for Petra on a surface she doesn't always shine on was a nice surprise. :)

Angie, go get that second semi-final appearance!

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I like Kerber more all the time. It is true her game is not suited to clay and she hits perilously flat, but I applaud her for being so consistent with her gamestyle and having a generally offensive mentality even when her shots don't seem to bite. She moves well and is a big match player. Everything that should win lots of fans.

Like Martic too. I think everything about her game seems really natural except the backhand drive. Excellent serve, well balanced while moving, good forehand with nice variety/pop and a really good slice that she WANTS to hit. Her backhand drive is not an awful shot either. Good hands at net is a great bonus. One to watch for sure. I briefly saw her play Pavlyuchenkova at the USO last year and was impressed with her easy power and fluid serve. However, she lost that tight match in a flash towards the end, lack of experience which should change now.

Nicolás89
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Dead at these people, Kanepi started EVERY moonball rally against Caro the other day but I guess it is okay then because she defeated Caro, I mean even cheating would be okay if it gets Caro defeated. :rolleyes:

Angie, make the semis. :hearts:

pav
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Nothing much the matter with Angie's play

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Martić is so much fun to watch, I love her game. I didnt watch many of her matches before RG but I'm officially a fan since this week. Her net coverage and skills are amazing. I'm looking forward to see how she will do on grass. All the best! :hug:

It's amazing what confidence to you. Kerber has just become top10 player and she seems as though she's been there for ages playing like an experienced top player. She's an awesome match player and got the tactics right today. Congratulations! :yeah:

This. :D :p

Matt01
Jun 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Dead at these people, Kanepi started EVERY moonball rally against Caro the other day but I guess it is okay then because she defeated Caro, I mean even cheating would be okay if it gets Caro defeated. :rolleyes:

This. :lol:

rucolo
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Angelique for first time into French Open QF ! :cheer:

Very happy for her. Such a nice girl. She really deserves this :yeah: