PDA

View Full Version : How relevant is the clay season?

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm really curios how relevant is the clay court season for you when it comes to Top players in the world?

I just have some feeling that majority of posters are thinking that clay season is something that happens for a couple of months and that the results on it aren't that relevant. Sometimes it's seems that most of you think that the clay is the most irrelevant surface of them all... :scratch:

BH both wings
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Is there something like a clay season from the top players perspective? There is only Rome and Roland Garros ...

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Is there something like a clay season from the top players perspective? There is only Rome and Roland Garros ...

Uhm...Madrid has 1000 points for the winner. That's already like 1/3 of points needed for Top 10 status.
Rome 900 points
Stuttgart and Charleston 470 points + that joke of WTA Brussels...

In total there is like 3000+ points that one player can accumulate for the clay season. :shrug:

Queenpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
the less relevant is grass, its just 3 weeks and some top players only play WB...

NashaMasha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
RG+ Wimbledon - best part of the season . IW + Miami - worst part of tennis season

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
RG+ Wimbledon - best part of the season . IW + Miami - worst part of tennis season

I gotta agree with this.

In Serbia 99% of the courts are on clay, maybe I'm biased 'cause of that, but I think it's a great surface to show all the beauty of the tennis :shrug:

Queenpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM

Why? to me the worst parte of the season is after USO, depressing.

hobahobaspirit
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
RG+ Wimbledon - best part of the season . Tokyo + Beijing - worst part of tennis season

Fixed.

deboraski
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
It may depend on who are your fav. players.

In my case, Justine was my fav. so clayseason was very important. IF you are Serena fan, clayseason is a total bore.

Taking the players out the conversation, is the Australian Swing. Simply because January is the month of vacation in the South Hemisphere, so I can watch all the matches.

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
It may depend on who are your fav. players.

In my case, Justine was my fav. so clayseason was very important. IF you are Serena fan, clayseason is a total bore.

Taking the players out the conversation, is the Australian Swing. Simply because January is the month of vacation in the South Hemisphere, so I can watch all the matches.

Yeah, I was kinda pointing to that. Since the best players in the world aren't really claycourters the clay season has been described as "ok, few months of that shit and we can watch real tennis again".

NashaMasha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Why? to me the worst parte of the season is after USO, depressing.

IW + Miami - the slowest hardcourts in tennis history with weak TV coverage, a motherland of pushers success .....

RG- Wimb - great history, perfect courts , dramatic matches, interesting how players are adjusting their game moving from clay to the grass courts,

I think Stuttgart, Rome, RG, Wimbeldon - really best part of the season with one significant and regular burst-up called Mutua Madrid (which should be forgotten ASAP)

I will add also Queen's Club in London as one of favourite ATP tournaments

Since the best players in the world aren't really claycourters the clay season has been described as "ok, few months of that shit and we can watch real tennis again".

She has won 1 RG Title and it seems to me the greatest from all 13 Slams in her career . Serena has much to be proud of, because winning RG was an impossible dream for a number of legendary tennis players

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
IW + Miami - the slowest hardcourts in tennis history with weak TV coverage, a motherland of pushers success .....

RG- Wimb - great history, perfect courts , dramatic matches, interesting how players are adjusting their game moving from clay to the grass courts,

I think Stuttgart, Rome, RG, Wimbeldon - really best part of the season with one significant and regular burst-up called Mutua Madrid (which should be forgotten ASAP)

I will add also Queen's Club in London as one of favourite ATP tournaments

She has won 1 RG Title and it seems to me the greatest from all 13 Slams in her career . Serena has much to be proud of, because winning RG was an impossible dream for a number of legendary tennis players

Exactly.

Vlover
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
the clay season has been described as "ok, few months of that shit and we can watch real tennis again".
Can't wait for this boring shit to be over, which usually ends with the most boring finals of the majors not to mention the random winners.:yawn: I love offensive tennis therefore this slow, agonizing moonballing shit doesn't excite me. Apart from the drama of Serena's match the rest have been :zzz:

Deneb
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
Well, for me clay courts have always been the real tennis courts, so obviously this is my favorite part of the tennis year!

goat
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Not relevant at all. Most players should choose to skip it to be prepared for the arduous extensively long grass season.

Steff_forever
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Well, for me clay courts have always been the real tennis courts, so obviously this is my favorite part of the tennis year!
nothing to add :D

Steff_forever
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
where my favourite won her fist and her last GrSl title ;)

Tenis Srbija
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Not relevant at all. Most players should choose to skip it to be prepared for the arduous extensively long grass season.

:lol:

GoofyDuck
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Very relevant, clay court can't help it the WTA consists mostly of clayclowns.

-Sonic-
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
worst time of the year for me are the doha/dubai kinda times when you just feel like you're pissing time away waiting for the build up to a slam again.

love the clay, love the grass, and by the time the USO comes round I am ok with the hard court swing too. sometimes can get the impression of "enter random city here" for the place of a hardcourt tournament, whereas the clay and grass ones have character, their own characteristics in terms of how the courts and stadiums look, court speeds, unique crowds, ways the players have to play etc etc... hard courts are just a little generic and 'flat pack' / 'ready made' kinda blah..

Tenis Srbija
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Very relevant, clay court can't help it the WTA consists mostly of clayclowns.

Well, Errani is setting her place somewhere up there...

bobito
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM
The clay and grass seasons are when you get to see exactly how much variety and skill players have. You can succeed on hard courts with flat hitting and decent movement. Clay and grass give players other options and ask more questions. Footwork has to be agile rather than just fast. Topsin and slice come into the game more, as do drop-shots and volleys. Tactical nous is also a bigger part of the game. If it weren't for the clay and grass tournaments I doubt I'd continue watching.

pov
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM
To me, anyone who doesn't ever have decent results on all surfaces can't be considered in any "among the GOAT" conversations. And by decent I don't mean they have to win a major on every surface, a few Fs or SFs on each at least shows they can adapt their game.

Material World
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I would like to see longer clay and grass seasons tbh. These are the surfaces that tennis historically developed on and the fact that they don't necessarily favour the Band of Brain Dead Bolletieri Ball Bashers makes for added interest.

A Magicman
Jun 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM
The clay season is not relevant and long enough.

It is the best surface of them all.