PDA

View Full Version : "For the women, majors are less physically demanding . ." - ES Commentator

pov
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
"For the women, majors are less physically demanding than normal tournaments" :yeah:

I liked hearing someone in the media voice that very obvious fact.

Darop.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
No doubt... best of 3 sets, a whole day rest between one match and the other.

Sharakim
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Another classic Wilander quote! :lol: BTW, did you hear him gushing over Maria during her Peng match? I think he has a crush on her.

Vikapower
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Well it's pretty much a fact no :scratch:

He also said that for ATP tennis is the inverse and that's also right too where the ATP players can get stuck into 4 hours matches which is taxing contrary to the best of 3 in regular tour events.

flareon
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
it is a fact, but I dislike Wilander so hate on him :D

hobahobaspirit
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
I like him as a commentator

rnwerner
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Wilander just said that Lepchenko is so positive.
He also said that he watched her today the first time.

tennisbum79
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Wilander just said that Lepchenko is so positive.
He also said that he watched her today the first time.
That is the American attitude!!!
She chose the right country

NashaMasha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Masha told about it in her interview , Dinara Safina confirmed today commentating on Eurosport....

But she told that emotionally Slams are much harder to play, players are exhausted not physically but emotionally in women slam tournaments

cescsas
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
I do respect Mats Willander for what he's done in his career but you do wonder when he commentates on women's matches if he only watches them at grand slams. If that's the case I want his job.

I was also watching on ITV Schiavone v Lepchenko and Jim courier thought the match was coming to a predictable conclusion when Sam Smith pulled him u pand said you can never predict a women's match. How right she is. Just shows Jim Courier is another so called "commentator" who dosen't she many women's matches.

Israel
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Mats Wilander is Eurosport's experrt. Sometimes his predictions are really good and sometimes they are the worst. As a commentator his voice is sometimes a little annoying, but he says the right things and talks with that nice accent...
Besides that the comment there is very true. Men have to play the best of 5, women the best of 3. Quite obvious.

deboraski
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I was also watching on TV Schiavone v Lepchenko and Jim courier thought the match was coming to a predictable conclusion when Sam Smith pulled him u pand said you can never predict a women's match. How right she is. Just shows Jim Courier is another so called "commentator" who dosen't she many women's matches.

At least they follow the ATP. Here in Brazil I doubt the commentators follow professional tennis outside of the Slams at all. When Matthieu was playing versus Isner, Fernando Meligeni sounded suprise about PHM ranking. He didnt understand why it was so low. And then 5 minutes later, he said, "Ah, he had a serious surgery and had to miss the entire 2011 season". I mean, if you follow tennis (ATP), you should know. Now if this is the standard for ATP, imagine what is to watch WTA matches during the slams on Brazilian TV. Just B-A-D. I only watch on HD. The rest is the streaming.

Simugna Help
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Mats Wilander is Eurosport's experrt. Sometimes his predictions are really good and sometimes they are the worst. As a commentator his voice is sometimes a little annoying, but he says the right things and talks with that nice accent...
Besides that the comment there is very true. Men have to play the best of 5, women the best of 3. Quite obvious.

Wilander is ass, because he usually roots for one of the players and can't hide it at all.

edificio
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
Mats Wilander reduced to a the status of "ES Commentator" in the thread title. :haha: :lol:

There is a partial truth in what he says. During regular WTA tournaments, the women play every day. However, even at the slams, a match can be either 40 minutes or several hours long, and the latter can be physically demanding even if you have a day off to recover. A three set match can also be the same length as a five setter, too--depends upon the players.

Mats just spews whatever enters his brain. So many times, I've noticed that when he speaks, often one half of his sentence contradicts the other half. He starts out saying one thing and then he turns it on its head and thus makes no sense at all. Also, he drones on and on, stream of consciousness-like. I remember at AO 2012, he was apparently made to apologize for some of his rambling remarks. He's a funny (odd) dude, and he has no chemistry with Anabel Croft.

miffedmax
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
I always liked Anders Jarryd better anyways.

ZAK
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Mats Wilander reduced to a the status of "ES Commentator" in the thread title. :haha: :lol:

There is a partial truth in what he says. During regular WTA tournaments, the women play every day. However, even at the slams, a match can be either 40 minutes or several hours long, and the latter can be physically demanding even if you have a day off to recover. A three set match can also be the same length as a five setter, too--depends upon the players.

Mats just spews whatever enters his brain. So many times, I've noticed that when he speaks, often one half of his sentence contradicts the other half. He starts out saying one thing and then he turns it on its head and thus makes no sense at all. Also, he drones on and on, stream of consciousness-like. I remember at AO 2012, he was apparently made to apologize for some of his rambling remarks. He's a funny (odd) dude, and he has no chemistry with Anabel Croft.

Yeah but in a regular tournament the matches can also be 40 minutes or several hours too, and there's no day off. And while a 3 setter CAN be as long as a 5 setter, it usually is not.

jameshazza
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
I was Dead at the commentator beside him. Was it Chris, all because Mats said SharApova the right way once, he was trying to imitate it the whole match :hysteric: