PDA

View Full Version : Should Serena be bumped up to 4th seed at Wimbledon?

FleetSeb
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
With Wimbledon coming up and the AELTC's retention of the right to change seeding order against the current rankings do you think 4 time champ Serena Williams should be pushed up to the 4th seed?

I think with her record that she should, in theory, be moved up. 4 wins and 2 extra finals as well as a fair few doubles wins is an exceptional record.

However, bumping her up to 4 requires that you move someone down.

I don't think you can touch Vika, despite cooling off she has been the most dominant player of the year and is number 1 by a considerable margin. And she has a SF from last year.

Nor do I think you can move down Maria. Former champ, last year's runner up. Yeah she's not at her best on grass anymore, but you can't really push her out of the top 4 seedings.

But then it gets a little interesting.

If you move up Serena, then the straight ranking swap is with Petra. But as future Grass Court GOAT and defending champ I don't think you can switch the two.

Which leaves Aga. Recent loss to Kuzzy aside she has been a strong number 3 so far this year. But she's never made the SFs of a slam before. But I guess you can counter this by saying rankings-wise she's never been expected to make a SF until RG this year so it's only a new expectation. On top of that she has two QFs at Wimbledon which makes it her most successful slam venue along with the AO. I think this is the most interesting possible swap.

Personally, I think Serena deserves to move into the top 4 seedings, but none of the above 4 deserve to move down. So in theory it should happen but in practice probably not.

What do you reckon?

In The Zone
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
If Radwanska were #4, maybe, but no. Wimbledon will use the rankings. Only Venus will be bumped to #24.

Yoncé
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Vika, Maria, Petra and Serena should be the top 4 seeds. Aga wont make it past R4 so it doesn't matter where she's seeded anyway.

tejmeglekvár
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Only moving Serena makes no sense. So they have to move up Petra to #3 and Serena to #4.
If it would happen, noone could really complain. Radwanska never made slam SF while defending champ and 4 times champ behind her on rankings.
But wont happen, AELTC doesnt care that much to "make controversy", they just want pretty girls in short dress between 2 mens matches.

M.P
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
They can't and won't push Petra to 5th
they just follow the ranking and change up the seeding

FleetSeb
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Only moving Serena makes no sense. So they have to move up Petra to #3 and Serena to #4.
If it would happen, noone could really complain. Radwanska never made slam SF while defending champ and 4 times champ behind her on rankings.
But wont happen, AELTC doesnt care that much to "make controversy", they just want pretty girls in short dress between 2 mens matches.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was implicit that moving Rena up to 4 and putting Aga down to 5 would mean that Petra went to number 3. Or at least that's how I meant it!

MercuriePL
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Where is "Serena should retire and let normal girls play" ? I would vote for this option...
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfBLW7Tm3T9HNpLM_TtOeJ2n1q2aZD4 6lNKsfvAhWETXECxt5W

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxXoIz2fHVZsRbswM9dVbIpmMRlNC_F _ppVFfalLTr2MR36A7P

bobito
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Absolutely not. You don't seed the defending champion lower than her ranking, nor should you seed the #3 ranked player outside the top 4.

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Replace the Vulture.

hingis-seles
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Serena has lost 4th round and 1st round at the Slams this year, she lost in the 4th round at Wimbledon last year. How on earth is she deserving of a Top 4 seeding?

Queenpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Serena has lost 4th round and 1st round at the Slams this year, she lost in the 4th round at Wimbledon last year. How on earth is she deserving of a Top 4 seeding?

This.

Meelis
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Kvitova was already pushed down last year from 8th to 9th :lol:

Only got her top 8 seeding back, thanks to Clijsters withdrawal.

Fantasy Hero
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not a fan of this "possibility" they give to themself to decide the seeding...but since they can, for the fairness of the draw she should take Aga's place

tkutsaar
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
I would think that having just lost to a player seeded #115 who in turn loses to a player ranked 97th weakens the case for higher seed consideration.

madmax
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
I would think that having just lost to a player seeded #115 who in turn loses to a player ranked 97th weakens the case for higher seed consideration.

this

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Aga and even I think Serena should replace her as a top 4 seed. :haha:

bobito
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM

Both good points. Though I don't agree with bumping the seedings of players in general, I could understand the argument in favour of it last year. She was the defending champion and her ranking was low because of a long absence due to injury. Niether apply this year.

Marcus1979
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
the seeding boost has always been about protecting other players not serena.

Serena and Venus have both won slams ranked very low over the years.

i.e 2007 OZ for Serena

I think Venus won Wimbledon in 2007 or 2005 seeded around 28 or something.

The Witch-king
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
If you ask me they should make her unseeded

Marcus1979
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
If you ask me they should make her unseeded

imagine the outcry on this board if she drew Vika or Sharapova opening round :tape:

bobito
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
the seeding boost has always been about protecting other players not serena.

Serena and Venus have both won slams ranked very low over the years.

i.e 2007 OZ for Serena

I think Venus won Wimbledon in 2007 or 2005 seeded around 28 or something.

Possibly a valid point if you are giving a player a seeding when they might otherwise be unseeded, thereby avoiding a 1st round match with one of the top seeds. At 5 Serena would be seeded for a QF spot in any case.

Keegan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
If she's above Radwanska then yeah, not anyone else though as Azarenka was a semifinalist, Kvitova is defending champion and Sharapova was the finalist.

Marlene
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM

I think you're right that they won't bump Serena without also bumping Kvitova. If Kvitova and Serena are still ranked #[3-5] and #[5-8] by the time they announce the seedings, I think they'll bump Kvitova to #2 and Serena to #4, but I would not be completely surprised if they let Serena stay at #[5-8] given her R16 result from last year.

If they also bump Sharapova, I think the top 4 will be Kvitova#1-Sharapova#2-Azarenka#3-Serena#4, with Kvitova and Sharapova bumped ahead of Azarenka and Serena bumped to #4.

sweetpeas
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
This. They do it for Andy every year,why not 13 slam winner!

sweetkit
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Stupid Wimbledon with its stupid rigged seedings :rolleyes:

BH both wings
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
I'm the first one to give Radwanska some hate, but to arbitrarily seed Williams ahead of her? On what basis? Radwanska was more successful in GS this season, she was more successful in terms of winning tournaments. And Radwanska's best surface is grass.

I personally think that Williams might be pretty successful in Wimbledon, but that is purely speculative. I would never change a seeding because of it ...

Hurley
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
This. They do it for Andy every year,why not 13 slam winner!

Getting SO CLOSE to actually (a) finding and (b) using the quote button. Maybe by the Olympics. In Rio. In New Brazil after WW24 in the year 10000.

Also, I am a fan of sweetpeas' vehement support of a post that she doesn't agree with.

stromatolite
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Of course not.

I'm not altogether opposed to the practice of bumping players up, but there has to be a very good reason. Just saying she has an awesome record at Wimbledon isn't enough: she lost in R4 last year and has not done enough since to prove that she's a better prospect for the title than any of the top 4. If she's good enough to win the title it shouldn't make much difference anyway whether she's seeded top 4 or second 4.

Feyd
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
No, they bumped up Serena's seed last year, and she did not live up to that by going out on round 4.

tejmeglekvár
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
I think you're right that they won't bump Serena without also bumping Kvitova. If Kvitova and Serena are still ranked #[3-5] and #[5-8] by the time they announce the seedings, I think they'll bump Kvitova to #2 and Serena to #4, but I would not be completely surprised if they let Serena stay at #[5-8] given her R16 result from last year.

If they also bump Sharapova, I think the top 4 will be Kvitova#1-Sharapova#2-Azarenka#3-Serena#4, with Kvitova and Sharapova bumped ahead of Azarenka and Serena bumped to #4.

whoa, stop plz. :sobbing: The point is to kick Aga out of top4, rest is unimportant. :oh:

anyway, if they didnt changed 1-2 seeds when Dinara-Serena-Venus was top3, they wont change anything now.

JoPova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I believe that Serena deserves a top 4 seeding at Wimbledon, but not if this means that Petra will be seeded #5. Radwanska can be the #5 seed!

supergrunt
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
She's just going to lose anyway :shrug: .

borrowedheaven
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Getting SO CLOSE to actually (a) finding and (b) using the quote button. Maybe by the Olympics. In Rio. In New Brazil after WW24 in the year 10000.

Also, I am a fan of sweetpeas' vehement support of a post that she doesn't agree with.
:lol: So true.

Shonami Slam
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM

whoa, stop plz. :sobbing: The point is to kick Aga out of top4, rest is unimportant. :oh:

anyway, if they didnt changed 1-2 seeds when Dinara-Serena-Venus was top3, they wont change anything now.

thisX3.

tejmeglekvar's points are not only spot-on, but are the only ones that point out the hipocracy of WIM and not just the silly seeding bump possibilites of this year which are indeed looking like vulturing out the vulture, and not really upgrading serena (which bird is she anyway?)

Vuvurenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
1. Vika
2. Sharapova
3. Kvitova
4. ReeRee
5. Aga

Makes sense to me

Excelscior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't the simplest way to handle this with out controversy, is to keep the seeds as the are, but magically and mysteriously drop (or plop) Serena in Aga's quarter? :tape: :oh: :tape:

bbjpa
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
What the hell is this question , cheating and downgrading the defending champion for a player who can't be top 4 on her own (no injuries excuses this time :rolleyes: ) :facepalm::no:

sweetkit
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
She's just going to lose anyway :shrug: .
Has she planned to lose in R1 of Roland Garros anyway?

hablo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
No so she can take out the likes of Sharpie early! :devil:

(or maybe Venus can do that instead! :angel: )

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't the simplest way to handle this with out controversy, is to keep the seeds as the are, but magically and mysteriously drop (or plop) Serena in Aga's quarter? :tape: :oh: :tape:

well yeah if that were possible than that would be great but I am not sure how good the SEWTA is at fixing draws these days since they can't do nothing right :tape:

Pump-it-UP
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
No she shouldn't.

ZAK
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Serena should stay the same. You can't move down the defending champion, and Serena's slam performances have not been that great recently. She's fine as #5, it doesn't matter that much anyway