PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody explain to me why Chris Evert is being so foul?

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:39 AM
Especially toward poor, hapless Pam Shriver? I was watching the ESPN3 stream of the Stosur-Petrova match and I had to turn it off because of Chrissie's cattiness. Hasn't anybody told her it makes her sound washed up?

--Pam was talking about playing doubles on court one and how intimate it was-- Evert replied: I'll take your word for it.

-- "Pam, could you please get off your phone for this match?"

I shut it off after that, but I remember Chris Fowler asking Pam Shriver whether something or another reminded her of playing singles matches at the French Open, to which Evert butted in: "it's not as if she played very many " That was within the first five minutes of the first broadcast.

Is there a back-story I've missed?

thrust
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM
For some reason I never liked or rooted for Evert. I had the suspicion that she was a mean spirited person, but was able to cover it up, especially with the help of the American media who adored her. I think the only time I rooted for her was when I was at Forest Hills the day she played BJK in her first USO. I took a sick day from work as the match was on a weekday. The next day my boss asked me if I enjoyed the match and laughed.

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:54 AM
seems like something personal. How unprofessional!! Did Shriver reply, she's pretty witty herself.

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:57 AM
seems like something personal. How unprofessional!! Did Shriver reply, she's pretty witty herself.

I've been expecting some good comebacks but Pammy's been pretty acquiescent.

Excelscior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
Chris Evert is a terrible TV personality in so many ways.

I have no idea why ESPN keeps her, despite her name.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
I was starting to like Chris Evert, but she was very rude I thought. Alluding to not knowing what the outside courts felt like because she always played on the main court. Bitch please.

Excelscior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:03 AM
I was starting to like Chris Evert, but she was very rude I thought. Alluding to not knowing what the outside courts felt like because she always played on the main court. Bitch please.

She acts/sounds like a drunk, slutty ole fool and ex mean girl, so many times while she's on the air.

Just get her off. She's a waste. The Tennis Channel did it to Jimmy Connors. Your move ESPN!?

Kismet
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
I don't remember exactly how the exchange went, but at the AO Chris made some snippy comment, basically alluding to how superior her career was compared to Pam's, and Pam had no answer to that (probably didn't want to bicker on air). I've never previously noticed any bitchy comments towards Pam like that, but from then I had the feeling that there might be some bad blood between them. It just further illustrates how unprofessional and horrible Chris is as a commentator.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:15 AM
I think it's all just funny banter between them - it's just that Evert is inherently kind of a bitch so her comments will reflect that.

What is foul though is Chrissie's knowledge about the current game. Why isn't there a thread dedicated to her comments like there is for Golovin's? Some are the things she says are so far off that I cannot help but :haha:. Some gems include her saying that Stosur's backhand is her best and most consistent shot, Clijsters' best surface is clay and countless other priceless comments that I cannot remember at the moment.

Jane Lane
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
I think it's all just funny banter between them - it's just that Evert is inherently kind of a bitch so her comments will reflect that.

What is foul though is Chrissie's knowledge about the current game. Why isn't there a thread dedicated to her comments like there is for Golovin's? Some are the things she says are so far off that I cannot help but :haha:. Some gems include her saying that Stosur's backhand is her best and most consistent shot, Clijsters' best surface is clay and countless other priceless comments that I cannot remember at the moment.

Stosur's best GS success has come at the FO. :hysteric:

That's why Twitter has #shitchrissiesays, but someone told her about it now that she's on Twitter and ruined it. :hysteric:

Berlin_Calling
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Stosur's best GS success has come at the FO. :hysteric:

That's why Twitter has #shitchrissiesays, but someone told her about it now that she's on Twitter and ruined it. :hysteric:

:hysteric: I knew I was forgetting the best one!

Serenita
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:24 AM
Especially toward poor, hapless Pam Shriver? I was watching the ESPN3 stream of the Stosur-Petrova match and I had to turn it off because of Chrissie's cattiness. Hasn't anybody told her it makes her sound washed up?

--Pam was talking about playing doubles on court one and how intimate it was-- Evert replied: I'll take your word for it.

I shut it off after that, but I remember Chris Fowler asking Pam Shriver whether something or another reminded her of playing singles matches at the French Open, to which Evert butted in: "it's not as if she played very many " That was within the first five minutes of the first broadcast.

How bitchy of her.

jameshazza
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
I don't watch ESPN but from what I've seen on her I genuinely think her stanning for Masha has led people to dislike her.

Renalicious
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Omg :hysteric: Are you serious, how do the commentators respond to her saying shit like Stosur's best GS is the FO :hysteric:

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:43 AM

The Stosur backhand comment made me spit out my water when I heard it :lol:

There was also a moment when she interviewed Azarenka and said (I'm paraphrasing), "in the second set you hit a second serve ace down the line, that's so uncharacteristic of you, isn't it?"

Marcus1979
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Shriver is my fav american based commentator. I guess Evert is jealous she is not as great as shriver is in analysing the game and commentary in general.

Never heard Evert commentate myself but from what I have read she must be pretty bad. Is she better than Austin, when austin commentates Sharapova matches I could be sure sharapova is the only one on the court :lol:

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Shriver is my fav american based commentator. I guess Evert is jealous she is not as great as shriver is in analysing the game and commentary in general.

Never heard Evert commentate myself but from what I have read she must be pretty bad. Is she better than Austin, when austin commentates Sharapova matches I could be sure sharapova is the only one on the court :lol:

I've only heard Tracy Austin commentate a handful of times, but what I gathered from her is that she mostly just regurgitates what her (usually male) team has already said. She doesn't really seem interested in providing her own insight.

My favorites are Pammy, MJF and Darin Cahill. I also don't mind Brad Gilbert. He can be really obnoxious but I appreciate his technical understanding of the game.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:08 AM
Meh, Pam deserves what she gets.

hJIc3PntSE8

0SGKhh39_ak

GwbD8xtHy_A

Serenita
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM

hJIc3PntSE8

0SGKhh39_ak

GwbD8xtHy_A
:oh:
Well she did embarrass Whodin little sister.

TennisAddict84
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Shriver and Evert are supposed to be friends in real life...so i guess those comments evert made could be "banter"

But I remember back at this year's AO Open, Chris Evert, Mary Jo Fernandez, and Cliff Drysdale were commentating the Clijsters/Woz QF match I believe...and they were talking about something along the lines of Woz not having a big serve or any weapons, and how it would even be possible for Woz to be more successful. Cliff then turned to both Mary Jo and Evert, and basically said that they were ABLE to succeed without a big serve or any weapons...and Evert immediately snapped, got super defensive and said, "WELL THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME"

After that incident, Drysdale and Evert never commentated together again...hell, I haven't even seen Drysdale at all during the RG broadcast...

But yea, Chris Evert is the WORST tennis commentator on TV. She's self consumed and never has anything relevant or analytical to say about the matches. Her second divorce probably is what caused her to become this bitter, lonely bitch who thinks her shit don't stink. I CANNOT even fathom how ESPN renewed her contract for another 4 years...just because you're an 18 GS winner DOES NOT mean you're a good commentator.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Not only that but her voice is so annoying :o.

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:35 AM

hJIc3PntSE8

0SGKhh39_ak

GwbD8xtHy_A

Even if you don't think Pam is a good commentator this doesn't really answer the question. I already admitted in the first post that I think she is hapless, and I'll add-- sometimes obviously drunk on camera. That being said, I think that Evert's unwarranted spite is way more demeaning to the sport.

edificio
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
I agree that some of Chris's comments have seemed rather passive aggressive toward Pam. Maybe she's joking, maybe there is some underlying pathology, but I don't find it appealing in the commentary booth. Aside from that, half the stuff she says is just wrong. She's easier for me to ignore than Mary Carillo, though. I'm sure ESPN won't be renewing her contract. [Did they really renew her contract? :eek:] Chris Fowler is another foul commentator. He should go back to football or baseball or whatever else it is he does. Gossiping granny he is. :( They have way too many talking heads at ESPN. (I wouldn't mind if Eurosport dumped Rusedski as well. Hate him.)

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Shriver and Evert are supposed to be friends in real life...so i guess those comments evert made could be "banter"

After that incident, Drysdale and Evert never commentated together again...hell, I haven't even seen Drysdale at all during the RG broadcast...

But yea, Chris Evert is the WORST tennis commentator on TV. She's self consumed and never has anything relevant or analytical to say about the matches. Her second divorce probably is what caused her to become this bitter, lonely bitch who thinks her shit don't stink. I CANNOT even fathom how ESPN renewed her contract for another 4 years...just because you're an 18 GS winner DOES NOT mean you're a good commentator.

Drysdale blows. Not missed by me.

Now, for a different opinion:

That's just Chris' style of humor. I get it - she's always been biting in her comments that way - whether in interviews or commentary. For my money, she holds way back now -- too damned much. She's become a total Serena ass-kisser. Instead of letting it fly, she let the idiots who can't stand more than their own point of view shut her up. I say spice things up - let it fly - if its controversial - all the better - tennis could use a shot of publicity outside of the tired people who watch it at present.

Tennis is dead these days in the US amongst the masses - and needs something more interesting than the same old crappy boring talking heads with the same old comments that the average person can't even understand. That's why no one watches and no one plays and no one outside of this and one or two other websites cares. Most folks not only can't understand what Patrick McEnroe is talking about - but they do not care. Now, if you're okay with that - good for you. Me, I loved the old days that when even in the ghetto we talked tennis. It wasn't just upper class white folks.

Chris brings the spice just as she always has - and people talk about what she has to say - either out of hate or like. No matter - at least it brings interest and a little life. I think it would be fun to get Steffi and Andre to get in there and do a match as a team. Steffi has quite a sense of humor. She always did, but really lets it fly now that being with Andre has opened her up and liberated her from great shyness.

As for Pam, she was known as the biggest byatch on the tour in her day - and I LOVED her for it. She had insulted Tracy and many others - and was funny as heck. She'd cuss those byatches out and be HERSELF! But then she got into commentating and became boring as hell. I kind of blame that a bit on Chris, when she decided to act as mentor to Pam and to calm her down after the insulting of Tracy debacle as I recall. Yeah, it did make Pam a little more palatable to the masses and her fellow locker room inhabitants - but again, also made Pammy a less volatile girl. BORING. As she grew, Pammy then became a force in the political part of the WTA. Her fellow players liked her - hey Mickey and Sally Field! But lately, I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to Pam's nothing comments on ESPN.

I love Chris and always will - in fact, I like her BETTER now than when she commentated for NBC. She let John McEnroe walk all over her. Now, Chris stands up and lets it fly (except to anyone named Williams). Pam better stand up and let the banter fly back. Kick that Evert butt. Make it fun.

Love you Chrissie.

TennisAddict84
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
I agree that some of Chris's comments have seemed rather passive aggressive toward Pam. Maybe she's joking, maybe there is some underlying pathology, but I don't find it appealing in the commentary booth. Aside from that, half the stuff she says is just wrong. She's easier for me to ignore than Mary Carillo, though. I'm sure ESPN won't be renewing her contract. Chris Fowler is another foul commentator. He should go back to football or baseball or whatever else it is he does. Gossiping granny he is. :( They have way too many talking heads at ESPN. (I wouldn't mind if Eurosport dumped Rusedski as well. Hate him.)

They renewed her contract for another 4 yrs :(

Yeah, Chris Fowler loves to instigate...

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:48 AM
Drysdale blows. Not missed by me.

Now, for a different opinion:

That's just Chris' style of humor. I get it - she's always been biting in her comments that way - whether in interviews or commentary. For my money, she holds way back now -- too damned much. She's become a total Serena ass-kisser. Instead of letting it fly, she let the idiots who can't stand more than their own point of view shut her up. I say spice things up - let it fly - if its controversial - all the better - tennis could use a shot of publicity outside of the tired people who watch it at present.

Tennis is dead these days in the US amongst the masses - and needs something more interesting than the same old crappy boring talking heads with the same old comments that the average person can't even understand. That's why no one watches and no one plays and no one outside of this and one or two other websites cares. Most folks not only can't understand what Patrick McEnroe is talking about - but they do not care. Now, if you're okay with that - good for you. Me, I loved the old days that when even in the ghetto we talked tennis. It wasn't just upper class white folks.

Chris brings the spice just as she always has - and people talk about what she has to say - either out of hate or like. No matter - at least it brings interest and a little life. I think it would be fun to get Steffi and Andre to get in there and do a match as a team. Steffi has quite a sense of humor. She always did, but really lets it fly now that being with Andre has opened her up and liberated her from great shyness.

As for Pam, she was known as the biggest byatch on the tour in her day - and I LOVED her for it. She had insulted Tracy and many others - and was funny as heck. She'd cuss those byatches out and be HERSELF! But then she got into commentating and became boring as hell. I kind of blame that a bit on Chris, when she decided to act as mentor to Pam and to calm her down after the insulting of Tracy debacle as I recall. Yeah, it did make Pam a little more palatable to the masses and her fellow locker room inhabitants - but again, also made Pammy a less volatile girl. BORING. As she grew, Pammy then became a force in the political part of the WTA. Her fellow players liked her - hey Mickey and Sally Field! But lately, I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to Pam's nothing comments on ESPN.

I love Chris and always will - in fact, I like her BETTER now than when she commentated for NBC. She let John McEnroe walk all over her. Now, Chris stands up and lets it fly (except to anyone named Williams). Pam better stand up and let the banter fly back. Kick that Evert butt. Make it fun.

Love you Chrissie.

So you basically think that people should be watching tennis purely for the has-been commentator bitch-fights?

Because that'll attract viewership. Yeah.

Stonerpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
I can tolerate Pam except for when she's commentating an Ivanovic match (she seems to dislike her, makes the same condescending comments about her repeatedly) but Chrissie is the fucking worst. I laughed for a solid minute when she talked about how "Serena Williams is a great actress. She's been in many movies" :haha:

Kismet
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
Just tracked #shitchrissiesays

"Did you have pressure on coming into your first Slam as #1?"
"Obviously NOT. Because I won it."

Did this really happen? :hysteric:

Kismet
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM
I laughed for a solid minute when she talked about how "Serena Williams is a great actress. She's been in many movies" :haha:

:worship:

Berlin_Calling
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:00 AM
Omg :hysteric: Are you serious, how do the commentators respond to her saying shit like Stosur's best GS is the FO :hysteric:

Most of the time, there is just an awkward silence for a few seconds :hysteric:

The Stosur backhand comment made me spit out my water when I heard it :lol:

There was also a moment when she interviewed Azarenka and said (I'm paraphrasing), "in the second set you hit a second serve ace down the line, that's so uncharacteristic of you, isn't it?"

Yes I remember this - Chrissie basically thought that Vika stopped giving a shit at this point and started tanking by going for broke, and was trying to get Vika to admit this. Vika was like, "umm what???" :lol:

Evert is by far the worst US commentator, but the comic relief she brings gives me so much life :sobbing:

Oh, and that James Blake/Pam Shriver altercation is pure GOLD! :haha:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
So you basically think that people should be watching tennis purely for the has-been commentator bitch-fights?

Hey, if that's "your take," then YES.

I think they should watch tennis cause its interesting and fun. A little bitch fight between a SUPER STAR of the sport and another super star (Pam's doubles record makes her just as important as Chrissie to this sport) is FUN. Patrick is like death and Mary Carillo - who I find much better than Tracy Austin - is a bit of a bore. It's nice to have a bit of spice.

And Yeah, I devoured the magazines, watched tennis, saved my allowance and baby sitting money for live matches (yep, tennis was played in the average city back then) and even traveled to the big show at the US Open when I was a kid and young person back in the 70's and 80's because it was fun. Even the commentating was more fun as they didn't try to over analyze and use lingo that the average person couldn't understand.

Yep, I liked it with it was a plain old knock down fight between a rub'em the wrong way Connors and Ashe. Or Chrissie v Martina. Or Billie Jean v most anybody who pissed her off (which was everyone when she was losing). Or Rosie Casals. Nasty Nastase. The very different personalities and commentary brought tennis out of the Country Club to the every day fan. Or Johnny Mac's antics (which I'm proud to say I got to see him act up in person at the US Open many years ago).

I like spice along with the tennis. Now, I can enjoy great shots (I the worst sunburn doing so ever at last years Palm Desert event) - but power tennis is not as fun to me - and like in any sport - its about the personalities that make it fun. That's why the Williams sisters are so exciting.

Boxing was tops when Muhammad Ali was at the top - because HE was interesting and fun. You never knew what he'd say AND he could kick butt. Bring on the spice. Pam knows spice - as she used to deal it quite a bit. Go and watch some of her old matches. Even Martina (her partner) had to calm her down at times.

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hey, if that's "your take," then YES.

I think they should watch tennis cause its interesting and fun. A little bitch fight between a SUPER STAR of the sport and another super star (Pam's doubles record makes her just as important as Chrissie to this sport) is FUN. Patrick is like death and Mary Carillo - who I find much better than Tracy Austin - is a bit of a bore. It's nice to have a bit of spice.

And Yeah, I devoured the magazines, watched tennis, saved my allowance and baby sitting money for live matches (yep, tennis was played in the average city back then) and even traveled to the big show at the US Open when I was a kid and young person back in the 70's and 80's because it was fun. Even the commentating was more fun as they didn't try to over analyze and use lingo that the average person couldn't understand.

Yep, I liked it with it was a plain old knock down fight between a rub'em the wrong way Connors and Ashe. Or Chrissie v Martina. Or Billie Jean v most anybody who pissed her off (which was everyone when she was losing). Or Rosie Casals. Nasty Nastase. The very different personalities and commentary brought tennis out of the Country Club to the every day fan. Or Johnny Mac's antics (which I'm proud to say I got to see him act up in person at the US Open many years ago).

I like spice along with the tennis. Now, I can enjoy great shots (I the worst sunburn doing so ever at last years Palm Desert event) - but power tennis is not as fun to me - and like in any sport - its about the personalities that make it fun. That's why the Williams sisters are so exciting.

Boxing was tops when Muhammad Ali was at the top - because HE was interesting and fun. You never knew what he'd say AND he could kick butt. Bring on the spice. Pam knows spice - as she used to deal it quite a bit. Go and watch some of her old matches. Even Martina (her partner) had to calm her down at times.

Everybody you're referring to was playing when they made headlines, not commentating.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

Yes, she said this during Vika's match!

Kismet
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
A little bitch fight between a SUPER STAR of the sport and another super star (Pam's doubles record makes her just as important as Chrissie to this sport) is FUN.

In trying to garner more fans, this might not work. Though having greats like Evert on air is nice to see, as she is a huge part of tennis history, some (or most) younger fans are likely to not care, and those just getting into the sport (but not necessarily young) may not really know her, or have heard of her but are focused on learning about the players now. Pam is pretty much irrelevant to casual tennis fans. I wouldn't even refer to them as superstars anymore, because they are no longer the players of the moment.

Not only does Chris sometimes come off as a middle aged mean girl in high school, but she knows nothing about the current players, and neither she nor Pam add anything to the commentary. Neither are fresh, and both should get the boot. To be fair, the spice they bring is that Chris always seems drunk and is almost always hilariously wrong in her commentary, and Pam likes to embarrass the players (like when she awkwardly begged Vania King to sing after a match and made some sly comment about her height).

Ryan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
First off, I think Chris Fowler is a great tennis commentator - he's never rude, he knows his stuff, and is great at moderating discussions. Pam is also great - I don't want commentators to be boring, dry, or stuffy; and Pam is the opposite of all those things. :cool:

Evert's OK too - she's obviously learning her "stats", and has a different take on some things (Sam's backhand....just wrong), but she's knowledgable about the technical and mental parts of the game. Don't like her shit talk to Pam, but I like her more than Carillo.

Austin is great too :yeah: I always thought she was an excellent commentator.

Pheobo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM
First off, I think Chris Fowler is a great tennis commentator - he's never rude, he knows his stuff, and is great at moderating discussions. Pam is also great - I don't want commentators to be boring, dry, or stuffy; and Pam is the opposite of all those things. :cool:

Evert's OK too - she's obviously learning her "stats", and has a different take on some things (Sam's backhand....just wrong), but she's knowledgable about the technical and mental parts of the game. Don't like her shit talk to Pam, but I like her more than Carillo.

Everything is just really great, isn't it? :cheer:

metamorpha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
I don't like them both. Feel sorry for Pam but sometimes she's irritating as well. So I think that's OK. Pam should be served some bitter medicine once in a while... and Evert did it nicely (the meaner the better) :devil:

AcesHigh
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evert is just awful. And people were complaining about Mary Carillo..

perseus2006
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
In answer to the OP's question: Chris Evert has been a foul mouthed narcissist since she arrived on the scene, so many decades ago. She's just doing her thing in her own universe, which was created for the sole purpose of adoring her.

She has not aged well. Her physical appearance is a dried up old woman. Her mental aspect, as a tennis analyst, exposes her complete ignorance about tennis, the tournaments, modern equipment and the current players (and the general real world, for that matter).

Evert is the consummate Bitch, the historical model for the ultimate Mean Girl, the nieghborhood's quintessential Old Crab. Evert is being foul because that's who she is, she was born that way! (Play Lady Gaga's tune)

metamorpha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Yeah, some people didn't really grow up in certain aspects of their life...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
I dunno as bad as Evert is as a commentator, I still rather listen to her than Mary Carillo, Ted Robinson, or Tracy Austin. Those bitches just get on my nerves

edificio
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
I dunno as bad as Evert is as a commentator, I still rather listen to her than Mary Carillo, Ted Robinson, or Tracy Austin. Those bitches just get on my nerves

:yeah:

Pam I find to be sublimely funny/ridiculous, so I don't mind her either.

Dav.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
I love Pam's ridiculousness. I'll never forget her wandering around Henman Hill and chatting with random (drunk) fans. It was comic gold.

Plus, I met her in Charleston and she's really a sweet lady. I was about 16 and asked her for an autograph (while another player was still having her time to sign after a match) and Pam gave me a wink and a "just a sec" motion so the player could have her moment. She then came over and was very engaging. Then again, I was probably her first autograph.

C. W. Fields
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
The Evert comment I'll always remember is the one about her then husband, Andy Mill:

"Andy and I have been married fifteen years, and I said to him just the other day that I feel closer to him now than ever. I mean, it's different. It's not the goose bumps-passion-fireworks kind of thing. It's more like knowing he's a keeper. And I just know that I'm going to grow old with him."

Pat Bateman
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
In answer to the OP's question: Chris Evert has been a foul mouthed narcissist since she arrived on the scene, so many decades ago. She's just doing her thing in her own universe, which was created for the sole purpose of adoring her.

She has not aged well. Her physical appearance is a dried up old woman. Her mental aspect, as a tennis analyst, exposes her complete ignorance about tennis, the tournaments, modern equipment and the current players (and the general real world, for that matter).

Evert is the consummate Bitch, the historical model for the ultimate Mean Girl, the nieghborhood's quintessential Old Crab. Evert is being foul because that's who she is, she was born that way! (Play Lady Gaga's tune)

That's a bit harsh, IMO. Chrissie was publicly humiliated by Greg Norman, who was reportedly cheating on her before and during their (very brief) marriage and then married his mistress. It wouldn't be surprising if that whole farce left Chrissie feeling somewhat sour. She's not getting any younger and hasn't had a man in her life since Norman. Let's cut the old girl some slack.

Marcus1979
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
wasn't Chrissie a mistress also?

Pat Bateman
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
wasn't Chrissie a mistress also?

Well, yeah ;)Greg was a busy man, he had another mistress on the go also (Kirsten Kutner,who he married recently).

Patrick345
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Somebody on German ES said Evert has bad knees and always gets grumpy from climbing the stairs to the commentary booth. :lol:

Jane Lane
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM

:rolls: I tweeted it. Yeah, it did during Vika/Brianti. People seem to be convinced we make it up. :rolls:

Queenpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
ES commentators >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thrust
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
That's a bit harsh, IMO. Chrissie was publicly humiliated by Greg Norman, who was reportedly cheating on her before and during their (very brief) marriage and then married his mistress. It wouldn't be surprising if that whole farce left Chrissie feeling somewhat sour. She's not getting any younger and hasn't had a man in her life since Norman. Let's cut the old girl some slack.

WHY? Chris and Greg were moral scum who cheated on their spouses and made life unplesant for their children as well. They deserved each other.

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Chrissie sounds like a moron anyway when she's on air. Constantly stumbling over her words.

Excelscior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM

Come on! We've already ran those threads into the ground many times! :lol: :help: :lol:

Jem
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM

Since no one has answered your question in this thread, I'll take a run at it. Evert should have butted in on anyone asking Shriver about playing singles at the French Open. I think Shriver might have played the French once during her career, so she knows virtually nothing about it. In those days, there was no penalty for skipping a grand slam tournament. Many players chose to skip the French or Wimbledon out of fear that it would hurt their ranking.

Back story. For the most part, Evert and Shriver have been fairly good friends. Chris got pretty annoyed with Pam in the mid 80s when Martina N. was dominating and Chris was winning pretty much everything else. Shriver whined about always getting stuck in Martina's half of the draw and not ever gotting a shot at Evert, indicating she could beat Evert but not Navratilova -- at a time Evert basically was losing only to Martina. Evert felt a bit disrespected, especially at Wimbledon one year. As luck would have it, they wound up facing each other at Newport, R.I., on grass, a few weeks later and Evert annihalated Shriver in singles and doubles finals. It was kind of "Take that and hope you enjoyed your opportunity to play me."

Obviously, not too many folks in this thread like Evert very much. As an analyst, she's not the best but she has improved. You can tell she doesn't follow the sport all that much. For example, she suggested Ekaterina Makarova would win a grand slam one day during the Australian Open. That was a "duh" moment. But I think she makes some pretty good points about tactics and strategy during matches.

For those who just don't like Evert and want to suggest she's vein and arrogant, I think that's just showing a bit of ignorance. Evert is THE most self-deprecating of all the truly great champs in our sport. And I think she's also the most honest in many ways, sometimes to her detriment. Navratilova is honest about who she wants to be and pesonal issues, but she rarely downplays or makes light of anything she ever accomplished on the court or her skills. Billi Jean King -- who I have grown to respect enormously -- sometimes, however, seems to suggest that she was a bit more than she really was -- both on and off the court. Evert has readily admitted that she could be a witch during her playing days. But her witchiness played out not in front of the public. For the most part, she treated the game, fans and her obligations better than anyone else in the game. Her witchiness was reserved for those closest to her. A lot of today's players reserve their arrogance and contempt for the game, the fans and their obligations. They surround themselves with "yes" people and entourages who do their bidding. However, you look at it, the really greats walk a world apart from the others.

davidmario
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
queen of sarcasm:worship:

barmaid
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
This a.m. I heard two different commentators on, Navratilova :worship:even though she played against Evert she has remained "in touch" with the current players and knows their game,:D the second one is Davenport and she is delightful and knowledgable:hearts:, Chrissie is "old hat" and talks too much about her own time on the courts and therefore is not "intune" with today's players.:help:

Barmaid:wavey:

Stonerpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM

Evert has certainly improved but she's far from Fowler or even MJF territory. Shriver can be a little tough on certain players but overall she's pleasant to listen too. Same with Austin, who despite being very repetitive with some of her points (she's been shitting on Serena's forehand for the better part of a decade) she's nice enough to listen to.

bobito
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM

Well she didn't to be fair. She only ever played 4 singles matches at Roland Garros. Shriver isn't really qualified to be commentating at this tournament.

wildemu
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
First off, I think Chris Fowler is a great tennis commentator - he's never rude, he knows his stuff, and is great at moderating discussions.

Fowler is only regurgitating what he reads in papers or online columns. He has absolutely no idea about the history of the sport or any of its players unless you spoonfeed him some lines from the program. Secondly, his rudeness is subtle but it's there. He can be incredibly sarcastic with his interviews or when he's doing a match, and often times it comes off as demeaning or belittling the opponent. He is a shit-stirrer and that schtick should remain on College Football live.

DefyingGravity
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM
I don't watch ESPN but from what I've seen on her I genuinely think her stanning for Masha has led people to dislike her.

She stanned really hard for Ivanovic yesterday after that Errani disaster, but I still hate her, haha.

Quite possibly the worst. She started out kind of okay at Wimbledon, but she just doesn't even fit in with the people at ESPN. She needs to go. Pam and Mary Joe would do just fine by themselves. Maybe get Dick Edberg back in there for the women's matches or something.

Chris Fowler, for being an all sport commentator, really excels with tennis. Patrick, Darren, Brad, Mary Joe, and Pam are all great.

Chrissie just kinda....ugh.

ttaM
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Chris posted a pic on twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/ChrissieEvert/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FKluTNCYe)with her and the ESPN team out and about in Paris, so things can't be too bad.
Chris did seem to be in a spat with a guy named Simon Cambers over this article (http://www.thetennisspace.com/off-court/roland-garros-diary-chris-evert-versus-the-trolls/) he tweeted. Chris questioned his integrity. Simon said it was meant to draw attention to the "trolls" and not criticize Chris, but she didn't see it that way.

Ryan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Fowler is only regurgitating what he reads in papers or online columns. He has absolutely no idea about the history of the sport or any of its players unless you spoonfeed him some lines from the program. Secondly, his rudeness is subtle but it's there. He can be incredibly sarcastic with his interviews or when he's doing a match, and often times it comes off as demeaning or belittling the opponent. He is a shit-stirrer and that schtick should remain on College Football live.

Disagree. :shrug: I think you're stirring more shit than him, and probably know even less about the sport. Different strokes, man. :wavey:

Pat Bateman
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
WHY? Chris and Greg were moral scum who cheated on their spouses and made life unplesant for their children as well. They deserved each other.

Because human beings (even if they are rich superstars like Evert)are imperfect and make mistakes. Life is not so black and white.

Excelscior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
I think They're all fine and do their jobs at ESPN, except Chrissie.

Chrissie is the one that brings them down. She's neither entertaining, knowledgeable, a good broadcaster or funny, like the rest/some of them.

And the few insightful "This is what it feels like" tennis moments she provides, is off set by her litany of terrible player evaluations, match calling, off the cuff statements and self absorbed, mean girl behavior.

Even though I may not always agree with some of the others grandstanding and histrionics (Gilbert and sometimes Pam). I certainly don't mind, and they all do their job, and the respective reasons why they were hired (Play by broadcasters, On Air Tennis Analyst, Off Air Tennis Analyst, and Studio host).

Chrissie is too distracting, and has gotta go! What's her role? Old Washed up, wrinkly, sunburnt, cranky Ole Tennis Great? But I'm assuming (besides her 18 time Grand Slam Resume), that there's some connection here, and that's why she's still there. J. Connors got fired at Tennis Channel for his on air ineptitude. On the other hand, Chrissie signs a new 4 year contract, though 34 of 35 comments on the ESPN article-on their website announcing it, trashed her. Go figure! The Fix Musta been in!? :scratch: :shrug: :scratch:

TennisAddict84
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:52 PM
Disagree. :shrug: I think you're stirring more shit than him, and probably know even less about the sport. Different strokes, man. :wavey:

Nah, I agree w/ wildemu. Fowler does tend to instigate the drama often. But I guess maybe that's his role as a non tennis person to steer certain discussions from the tennis experts. Still comes across as annoying though cuz Fowler could go about it in a different manner.

treufreund
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:35 PM
I really can't stand that passive-aggressive Chris Fowler who nitpicks every little think that Djokovic or Murray or Federer messes up on but worships at Nadal's knees. His biases are the most obvious of any commentator.

Chris and Pam are just having some fun at each other's expense. I think they get along just fine. Chrissie does seem a bit ditzy but I like her alright. Pam Shriver really rocks. She is astute and keeps me laughing. Lindsay Davenport is actually throwing a whole lot more sarcastic passive-aggressive shade this year, but I still like her for the most part. Cliff Drysdale is truly senile and I don't miss him.

LightWarrior
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Chris posted a pic on twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/ChrissieEvert/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FKluTNCYe)with her and the ESPN team out and about in Paris, so things can't be too bad.

Great pics of her in Paris ! Thanks.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Pammentary is amazing. I love how she can mix in her crazy randomness and tennis knowledge into her commentary.

Chrissie is as bad as the random sportsdesk bitches ESPN uses to hold down the fort during the majors. She struggles with just general commentating and can be plain mean. I think in some version of her reality she thinks she's coming off witty, but it fails miserably.

I miss Cliffy, so you haters can suck it. :p
And I really love the evolution of Chris Fowler. I really feel like him being around all these tennis nerds made him one of them in a lot ways. He really does seem to love commentating our sport.

But I love Team Snarky Bitch that is made up of Davenport and Stubbs. It's so awesome.

vozas
Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:33 AM
0SGKhh39_ak

Omg :spit::spit::spit: why hadn't I seen this yet? :worship:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:00 AM
In trying to garner more fans, this might not work. Though having greats like Evert on air is nice to see, as she is a huge part of tennis history, some (or most) younger fans are likely to not care, and those just getting into the sport (but not necessarily young) may not really know her, or have heard of her but are focused on learning about the players now. Pam is pretty much irrelevant to casual tennis fans. I wouldn't even refer to them as superstars anymore, because they are no longer the players of the moment.

Not only does Chris sometimes come off as a middle aged mean girl in high school, but she knows nothing about the current players, and neither she nor Pam add anything to the commentary. Neither are fresh, and both should get the boot. To be fair, the spice they bring is that Chris always seems drunk and is almost always hilariously wrong in her commentary, and Pam likes to embarrass the players (like when she awkwardly begged Vania King to sing after a match and made some sly comment about her height).

I still think that Chris spices up the commentary - but only players will get fans into the game. Chris got me interested at age 11 back in 1971. It doesn't matter what any of us write or think as the truth is - how many people are really viewing. The people on this site and maybe Bodo's a a warehouse site or two...

Me, as much as I adore Chris and some of the other commentators on ESPN, its the players I don't adore so I'm watching PT 109 on the Military Channel.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
...What's her role? Old Washed up, wrinkly, sunburnt, cranky Ole Tennis Great? But I'm assuming (besides her 18 time Grand Slam Resume)...

If you yourself are not "old, washed up, wrinkly, and sun burnt" yet - give it time. You will be. Especially if you're playing tennis outdoors (and not just sitting posting om your computer all day) Even with modern technology.

So, look forward to being old and washed up and wrinkly, but you'll NEVER have 18 slams and the history that Christine Marie Evert Lloyd Mill (I don't even type the name of her last a-hole husband) has earned. But you are amusing. I give you that.:cool:

Potato
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
She is a terrible commentator, she knows absolutely nothing about the modern game (calling Makarova a brand new player when she's been making noise since 2008), and has the most dry and sullen voice. She brought new young players to tennis with her game, not her talk.

Fuzzylogic
Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Is it bad that some of these comments make me like Evert a little bit more. There's something I love about bitchy sarcasm when it's coming from someone who is/was good enough to be bitchy/sarcastic :lol:

Excelscior
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
If you yourself are not "old, washed up, wrinkly, and sun burnt" yet - give it time. You will be. Especially if you're playing tennis outdoors (and not just sitting posting om your computer all day) Even with modern technology.

So, look forward to being old and washed up and wrinkly, but you'll NEVER have 18 slams and the history that Christine Marie Evert Lloyd Mill (I don't even type the name of her last a-hole husband) has earned. But you are amusing. I give you that.:cool:

I respect your admiration for Chrissie, and have no problem with that. Not at all. She was a great player. Congrats to that!

But she's still a horrible, out of touch, waywardly cryptic commentator (as you probably know). ;) :devil: :)

Evertmad
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I have listened to most of the commentating on ESPN at Roland Garros and believe that the team have done a great. They work very well together..and yes there are some comments from various members of the team that may seem a little too close to the edge...but in fact it's harmless banter as they entertain themselves in some of the most boring matches that I have seen...you can't blame them for having some harmless fun...they all get on very well and travel, sightsee and have dinner together ....especially Pam and Chrissie....so I think you are reading too much in to it...as we sit on the outside. ref Chrissie I like her insight on tactics, footwork and strokes....she also knows a lot about the juniors especially from her academy....so I think the bitchy comments that have been made here are unwarranted and in fact ESPN have added a valuable asset to their team for the next four years...she is improving every tournament as she researches and learns more on the current players...so watch this space......there have been some fluffs as nobody is perfect....and it is live....but nothing that warrants the crap that is being written......they all do a great job and provide good insight......sound of voice is personal choice and I suggest you just turn off the volume.....it's is your right...!!!!

LoveFifteen
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Can you guys please stop calling Chris Evert "washed up"? She is a legend of the sport and being an old athlete doesn't mean that you're washed up. How absurd!

LINDSAY
Jun 5th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I just watched the French Open women's match between Shevdova and Sharapova (delayed viewing). It was amazing to watch Shevdova play so well against such a highly ranked player. However, I was absolutely disgusted by Chris Evert's commentary- it was sickening to hear a professional commentator be so biased towards one player. I'm fairly new to watching tennis and this is a real put-off. If Evert is a commentator again, I'm going to hit the mute button! Tennis is an amazing sport to watch and to have such an unprofessional commentator is a bad mark against the game. Please give us someone better!

atominside
Jun 5th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Clearly you're new, because sharapova did not play shvedova.

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Also it's SHVEDOVA not SHEVDOVA! :rolleyes:

Stonerpova
Jun 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Those last two posts are basically the TF equivalent of orientation. Welcome and good luck to LINDSAY :lol:

LINDSAY
Jun 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks GameSetandMatch. Yes I am new and the names are a bit confusing to me. I appreciate your support! Lindsay

duhcity
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
The ESPN team seems very close, and Chris is only recently joining the fold. You can tell by the chemistry between them all, vs. each one with Chris. Obviously it's going to take time to understand her, being that the ESPN team right now has been working together for years.

Plus, she replaced Mary, who the team was not a large fan of either.

Start da Game
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM
chris evert was owned by navratilova.....

mac47
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Nah. Maria needs no assistance on that front.

Sammo
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
wV1FrqwZyKw

Temporary0369
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Nah. Maria needs no assistance on that front.

Pretty sure the poster was saying that people dislike Evert because she supports Maria. So...

Shooter
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I strongly disagree with the networks' idea that ex-pro-tennis players make for interesting announcers. Generally speaking, they make for mediocre announcers. They get bored very easily watching lesser known players. Their commentary is very shallow when it comes to strategy, often very biased towards the stars, and they simply are not aware of all the little things going on down on the court, in the stands, etc., that I want to know about. I'd MUCH rather hear what coaches have to say. I used to really hate Chris Evert's announcing. But she really seems to have improved lately. She is less biased than the other female announcers and her strategic insights are better than most. Hope she keeps that up. In fact, I'd rather listen to Chris do a match than any of the other female, ex-tennis players. My fav of all is still Jimmy Arias followed by McEnroe.

TennisAddict84
Jun 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM
The ESPN team seems very close, and Chris is only recently joining the fold. You can tell by the chemistry between them all, vs. each one with Chris. Obviously it's going to take time to understand her, being that the ESPN team right now has been working together for years.

Plus, she replaced Mary, who the team was not a large fan of either.

Oh, is that the real reason why she got booted from ESPN? Who specifically didn't get along with her?

Never understood the real reason behind Carillo's departure...

Jane Lane
Jun 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I will say, someone must have spoken to her or something after the AO because she sucks less this slam.