PDA

View Full Version : RG R3: Azarenka def. Wozniak 6-4, 6-4

saul1333
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

Need to play better next round :unsure:

flareon
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM
if aleks had not made a few silly mistakes she could of won this unlucky IMO.

hablo
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM
Momo looks like she lost weight? :unsure:

Wozniak :hug:

Temperenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Vika played better than in R1 and R2, but will need to clean up her game a little for Cibulkova.

She played today with a great level of aggression.

Onward, Snickers!

hurricanejeanne
That was such a fugly match. Aleks played very well but Vika was all over the place, playing well and then playing like shit.
Unless Vika gets her game together, Domi's going to eat her alive. :sobbing:

The Vika Chanter getting the towel. :hysteric:

Jane Lane
Wozniak played well.

Please don't lose to Domi. :sobbing:

Pebbles
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/y2uJ7.png

Aleks :hug: too many errors when it really counted.

Jimmie48
Hard work but she prevails :)

Funny stuff with the towel :lol:

wozniak 1990
I only hope that Wozniak can play like that until the end of the year. She can be top 25 again in my opinion.

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
vika needs to raise her game for the R4...cibulkova ain't no slouch on clay :scared:

Break My Rapture
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
33 winners. :hearts:

Vikapower
33 winners for 25 unforced errors. :worship: Victoria just need to get rid of these small negative patches, easy shots missed here there at times and be much more clutch --

That said the schedule wasn't easy, needed to wait very long before she could play and almost needed to play in a rush to not let this match going on two days so probably factored a little bit there too.

Taking all this unto account she did pretty well, now Cibulkova.

Berlin_Calling
That was such a fugly match. Aleks played very well but Vika was all over the place, playing well and then playing like shit.
Unless Vika gets her game together, Domi's going to eat her alive. :sobbing:

The Vika Chanter getting the towel. :hysteric:

That dude clearly posts here... Who is it?!?! :hehehe:

Got the job done, Vika. Decent numbers but still too many errors. She seems to be playing herself into the tournament though :)

Good effort from Aleks and a great tournament for her overall! I see her making some noise the rest of the year :hug::bounce:

Vincey!
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Aleks played well, she was right up there with Vika today ,but once again you never truly felt like she was going to win this, at the end that score was so predictable. She'll need to improve her confidence to win those matches.

Azarenka should have been called for Hindrance at *3-4 on that down the line forehand when she made that weird shriek. Why Eva wasn't umpiring!! :(

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Vika job done but needs to cut the silly errors out

LUVMIRZA
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Time to raise your game gurl:facepalm: So many break chances but missed too much. Domi will be tough but hoping for Vika to scrape through:oh:

Jane Lane
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Aleks played well, she was right up there with Vika today ,but once again you never truly felt like she was going to win this, at the end that score was so predictable. She'll need to improve her confidence to win those matches.

Azarenka should have been called for Hindrance at *3-4 on that down the line forehand when she made that weird shriek. Why Eva wasn't umpiring!! :(

It was other hindrance GOAT Cicak. :shrug:

tkutsaar
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Quite a lot of pluck from the Canadian! I give her full marks for her ability to break right back after having lost the first game of each set and for forcing Vika to serve for the match rather than succumb to a MP in the ninth game.

Break My Rapture
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
No. That shot was a winner. Totally different to the hindrances Razzano was called on by Asderaki, as those were mid-rally shots. It can't be hindering her opponent when the shot ended the rally.

ktoles2005
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
Aleks came to play today! She really was matching her in terms of power and got unlucky with a few breaks, but she really kept up with Vika and wasn't blown off the court, considering where she was a year ago, to where she is now, she's light years ahead and I think back to the form that got her to the top 25.

Now she can have a week off, rest up and move on to the grass court season, she's got absolutely nothing to defend, so a couple wins at each event will do wonders for her ranking :) Then on to the Olympics to represent Canada! This will be our first singles entrant since 2000... Congrats on a great run Aleks

Vika is going to have to clean it up against Cibulkova, Cibulkova won't make many mistakes and is super quick, gets back to everything. The kind of player that will drive Vika nuts.

saul1333
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
No. That shot was a winner. Totally different to the hindrances Razzano was called on by Asderaki, as those were mid-rally shots. It can't be hindering her opponent when the shot ended the rally.

Mary Carillo was campaigning for it to be a hindrance.

Jane Lane
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Mary Carillo was campaigning for it to be a hindrance.

Because she's an idiot.

b2b
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
serve screams improvement. apart from that,i found it agreeable

but wouldn't worry about domi that much, for whom could easily brings out those ue shitfest and vika returns very well

vozas
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
She's not looking good at all... Something about her game on clay always looks so off. She'll need to take it up 10 notches for Stosur or she's toast.

Vincey!
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM

No it was hindrance, she screamed as if she had missed the shot cuz she thought she had WHILE hitting( or slightly after) the ball. Watch that point again and you'll see Vika's face after and Aleks'face as well. Serena's C'mon called for hindrance was on a same sort of ball. If you'd apply the rule correctly what Vika did would have been an instant point penalty since it was voluntary not like Razzano's shriek of pain where she got to replay the first hindrance call.

Blu€
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Had to go after the first set but Wozniak was playing well, had quite some chances. However, you never felt like she believed enough to take the lead. Vika was quite agressive but seemed vulnerable at times, especially on serve.

misty1
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
vika never really got into top gear but she didnt have to either. As another poster said aleks kept it close but you never really felt like vika was going to lose this.

playing like this though she isnt getting past cibulkova and if she is lucky enough to beat her she wont get by stosur.

misty1
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
No it was hindrance, she screamed as if she had missed the shot cuz she thought she had WHILE eating the ball. Watch that point again and you'll see Vika's face after and Aleks'face as well. Serena's C'mon called for hindrance was on a same sort of ball. If you'd apply the rule correctly what Vika did would have been an instant point penalty since it was voluntary not like Razzano's shriek of pain where she got to replay the first hindrance call.

yeah but asderaki is one of the only 2 judges who has the guts to enforce the rule.

Stonerpova
Not impressed. She's gonna have to step it up big time if she wants to make the final.

gmak
Vika :yeah: :D :)
considering she was maybe rushing too much to finish this today, it was pretty good ;)

Vincey!
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
yeah but asderaki is one of the only 2 judges who has the guts to enforce the rule.

yes exactly.

b2b
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
No it was hindrance, she screamed as if she had missed the shot cuz she thought she had WHILE eating the ball. Watch that point again and you'll see Vika's face after and Aleks'face as well. Serena's C'mon called for hindrance was on a same sort of ball. If you'd apply the rule correctly what Vika did would have been an instant point penalty since it was voluntary not like Razzano's shriek of pain where she got to replay the first hindrance call.

my bad. we aren't talking about the same point

Fantasy Hero
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
it was a while since i saw Aleks last and she really impressed me :eek: too bad Vika was just too good

madmax
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
She's not looking good at all... Something about her game on clay always looks so off. She'll need to take it up 10 notches for Stosur or she's toast.

her game is totally unsuited for clay...she's only winning these matches because current tour scrubs have no clue and no balls how to finish her off. It's gonna take inspired Sexlana to stop her from reaching the final anyway

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
Good match I think. Both played well, some nice rallies. Well done Vika.

Break My Rapture
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
No it was hindrance, she screamed as if she had missed the shot cuz she thought she had WHILE hitting( or slightly after) the ball. Watch that point again and you'll see Vika's face after and Aleks'face as well. Serena's C'mon called for hindrance was on a same sort of ball. If you'd apply the rule correctly what Vika did would have been an instant point penalty since it was voluntary not like Razzano's shriek of pain where she got to replay the first hindrance call.
It's not hindrance it all. First of all, how can it have hindered her opponent? Wozniak was on the other side of the court when Azarenka hit that shot into the open court, nearly hitting it out probably because of a slight mishit. Wozniak was out of the rally, so it could not have hindered her. Second, the sound Azarenka produced wasn't even that hindering. She makes this sort of sound all the time when mishitting a ball. Just like Sharapova also has a different variety of screams depending on how she connects with a particular shot. It's totally different with Serena's case, because she vocally celebrated a shot when Stosur was still able to get her racquet on it.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Vika still suffering from a cold
hope its cleared up by Sunday

Vincey!
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
It's not hindrance it all. First of all, how can it have hindered her opponent? Wozniak was on the other side of the court when Azarenka hit that shot into the court, nearly hitting it out probably because of a slight mishit. Wozniak was out of the rally, so it could not have hindered her. Second, the sound Azarenka wasn't even that hindering. She makes this sort of sound all the time when mishitting a ball. Just like Sharapova also has a different variety of screams depending on how she connects with a particular shot. It's totally different with Serena's case, because she vocally celebrated a shot when Stosur was still able to get her racquet on it.

Aleks was not THAT far from the ball, could she have hit it back? Probably not, but that doesn't matter. The rule says that if a player make a noise during the point that could bother her opponent the point is either replay or it's a point penalty depending if the noise was voluntary or not. Azarenka NEVER makes tht noise, it wasn't a grunt or a shriek she was screaming as if she was disapointed. Sharapova makes diffent sounds but never scream of anger/disapointment when the ball goes in. :shrug: Just look at Vika's expression when she realised the ball was in, she also looked straiht at the umpire like waiting for some call coming from her.

Break My Rapture
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Aleks was not THAT far from the ball, could she have hit it back? Probably not, but that doesn't matter. The rule says that if a player make a noise during the point that could bother her opponent the point is either replay or it's a point penalty depending if the noise was voluntary or not. Azarenka NEVER makes tht noise, it wasn't a grunt or a shriek she was screaming as if she was disapointed. Sharapova makes diffent sounds but never scream of anger/disapointment when the ball goes in. :shrug: Just look at Vika's expression when she realised the ball was in, she also looked straiht at the umpire like waiting for some call coming from her.
First hindrance call means a replay of the point. Ensuing hindrance calls result in point penalties, it has nothing to do with the noise or whatever it is "hindering" being voluntarily or not. That would result in a mockery and a mess.

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
her game is totally unsuited for clay...she's only winning these matches because current tour scrubs have no clue and no balls how to finish her off. It's gonna take inspired Sexlana to stop her from reaching the final anyway

You could have easily been talking about Maria here.

madmax
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM

because Vika and Maria play exactly the same, right?:lol:

Cosmic Voices
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
her double-faulting so much is worrisome :scared:

Vaidisova
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Vika :)

*Jean*
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Aleks :hug:

vozas
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:51 PM

Well if you think Maria's current game is NOT suite to clay you must have skipped the last 2 clay court seasons.

Belmont Lad
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry I missed this match. :sad: It sounds like Aleks acquitted herself quite well and the scoreline suggests she stayed with Azarenka for the most part. A good tournament for her, hopefully she can keep the positive momentum in the weeks to come. :hug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM

I thought it was a lineswoman calling OUT! :lol:

Aleks had a plan to be aggressive and she did on some points but on the important points, Viktoria knew how to play first strike tennis better than Aleks and it won her the match ultimately.
Not a bad tournament for Aleks at all, I think she has almost definitely secured an Olympic spot! Something she was concerned about coming in :)

miffedmax
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:11 PM
Vika. Onwards.

Vincey!
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM
First hindrance call means a replay of the point. Ensuing hindrance calls result in point penalties, it has nothing to do with the noise or whatever it is "hindering" being voluntarily or not. That would result in a mockery and a mess.

non voluntary hindrance is a replay of point at the first. Then if it happens again it's a point penalty. IF it's voluntary like a "C'mon" or a "Scream" it's a point penalty automatically. :shrug: In this case I think it would have been a point penalty but that's not the point tho, hindrance alone should have been called, wether or not it would have been a point penalty is another discussion. As someone said, they thought it was the lines person calling the ball out lol. If that is not hindrance I wonder what that is.

manu32
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:58 PM
Victoria is her name,no Vika and she post as Victoria

StoneRose
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
^^Vika to us. She won congrats :cheer:. Now take out Cibulkova.

dsanders06
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
First time I've seen her this tournament. I was actually quite impressed in the sense that, although as a whole her performance was sloppy, she managed to step it up A LOT at the crunch points in both sets. Very professional performance even if not a clean one.

Bayo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm coming around to Vika more and more these days. She's a brat, but I can live with that.

Onward to the final.

StoneRose
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
^^Bratty on court sure, has been worse though. She's usually very nice and witty off court.

Break My Rapture
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
non voluntary hindrance is a replay of point at the first. Then if it happens again it's a point penalty. IF it's voluntary like a "C'mon" or a "Scream" it's a point penalty automatically. :shrug: In this case I think it would have been a point penalty but that's not the point tho, hindrance alone should have been called, wether or not it would have been a point penalty is another discussion. As someone said, they thought it was the lines person calling the ball out lol. If that is not hindrance I wonder what that is.
Things like that happen all the time with crowds getting into a match and yelling "out" during a rally when the ball isn't, and that has never been called hindrance either. What Azarenka did is not hindrance, I stand by it. We'll have to agree to disagree then.

MercuriePL
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Vika goes bad way... she is injured and still play... i see future of the season in shadow for her...

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Vika :cheer: Domi next.:scared: