PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams: If I sit out and give up, I'll have no respect for myself.

The Witch-king
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Video on ESPN. I'm sure the moderators won't by hypocritical enough to have this moved to the player forum considering how long that Serena transcript stayed in this forum.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7991909

Leo St
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
i love this video

Potato
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM
So much respect for this woman.

LUVMIRZA
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Venus:worship:

marineblue
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Nice attitude.

JN
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM
That's my girl!

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
nice video! respect!

and she said she'd go home and sing songs of whitney and mariah after bad days :hearts:

flareon
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thats a really nice video I truely hope she wins one more title in her tennis life.

auntie janie
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you for posting that! I caught the end of it on ESPN2 yesterday and wished I had had the chance to see the whole thing. Please take care of yourself, Vee. :hearts: :kiss: :hug:

jrollaneres25
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
:sad:

serenaforever
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Good song choice, Venus. ;)

xr6turbo
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM
:worship:

Start da Game
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
the contrast in characters between the two sisters is just staggering.....

Infiniti2001
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Respect :worship: Keep on Doing you Miss Vee :hearts:

Super Dave
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I know Vee is a 311 fan so this is for her :rocker2:

lYBIRHi5-o8

pov
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Video on ESPN. I'm sure the moderators won't by hypocritical enough to have this moved to the player forum considering how long that Serena transcript stayed in this forum.

If that transcript was moved that's pretty sad. A post-match interview with any top player who had their first R1 lost in 47 majors is of import to any real tennis fan.

winone23
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Keep fighting Vee!!!

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Fantastic.

Buy a Bee CD Vee and get your life!

akosijepoy
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
nice to see that she is still fighting

czx22
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
so touching...fight it!!! fight it hard,,,Vee

shoryuken
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM

hBence
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
She's a great champion. I love this women!

Queenpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
that's basically what she did against aga tho.

SymphonyX
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Mature sister is mature.

It's hard breaking it to Vee, but playing at such a high level early in one's career... it certainly has an impact on longevity. Hard to imagine she's been playing since the mid-90s. But after the Olympics or US Open, I can only imagine she will come to terms with herself and call it a career. She's had a fantastic career, but I can't imagine Venus doing a Conchita Martinez and keep playing into obscurity.

The Witch-king
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
If that transcript was moved that's pretty sad. A post-match interview with any top player who had their first R1 lost in 47 majors is of import to any real tennis fan.

Actually I was saying it wasn't moved and therefore this one shouldn't be either.

MaSharp
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Love you Venus. Should be proud on herself! Keep fighting!

The Witch-king
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Fantastic.

Buy a Bee CD Vee and get your life!

I like Beyonce but she doesnt really have epic, classic empowering ballads

Queenpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQm3S21Uew

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM

Right! That's a bit depressing though, so rather Vee didn't live by that.

Doesn't necessarily have to be ballads though.

NA NA DIVA IS A FEMALE VERSION OF A .......

The Dawntreader
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
This woman puts so many others to shame.

The Witch-king
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:32 PM

Right! That's a bit depressing though, so rather Vee didn't live by that.

Doesn't necessarily have to be ballads though.

NA NA DIVA IS A FEMALE VERSION OF A .......

Yeah those are great but there's something about those 90s epic ballads that are just special imo

Beyonce has a lot of uptempo songs that get me hype though, like Countdown, Diva, Sweet Dreams, Get Me Bodied, Run The world etc but maybe thats not what Vee's looking for when she's feeling emotional

WowWow
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Great attitude! I wouldn't expect anything less from her. :yeah:

edificio
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
I can't get the video to work! Aargh! I suppose it might be on YouTube eventually.

No, but with her backup team (till she dumped them) she has: I'm a survivor, I'm not gonna give up, I'm gonna work harder,....:lol: Maybe that's better for Serena right now. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NorDwm8wk5s

Ntosake
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Beautiful attitude, beautiful spirit. That's Venus.

it-girl
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
This video literally brought tears to my eyes. No one can question the fight in Venus Williams, if she didn't have it she would have already retired because she truly has a valid reason to. Fight on Venus your fans love you and even your non fans can respect what you bring to the game. You are giving millions of people hope and belief that anything is possible simply by walking on the court. This is why I love Venus Williams, pure class. A great champion, humanitarian, ambassador and inspiration.

Bonfire
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM

The Witch-king
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM
I can't get the video to work! Aargh! I suppose it might be on YouTube eventually.

No, but with her backup team (till she dumped them) she has: I'm a survivor, I'm not gonna give up, I'm gonna work harder,....:lol: Maybe that's better for Serena right now. :)

:lol: Ahhh yes Beyonce 'N Dem

hope this works for you

tvzFTOoqNyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzFTOoqNyQ&feature=g-feat

edificio
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM
:lol: Ahhh yes Beyonce 'N Dem

hope this works for you

tvzFTOoqNyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvzFTOoqNyQ&feature=g-feat

Thank you so much! But now I'm :sad: :sad: :sad::crying2:

that's basically what she did against aga tho.

Not sure what you mean, but I'm sure you thought it was cute. Venus gave her all that day. That is what she is asking of herself. She could retire and continue with her design firm work and her charity efforts or whatever, but she enjoys competitive tennis still and will fight to overcome her physical deficits. You should learn to appreciate the players more.

Stonerpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Love it.

pedropt
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Venus. I love you. And yes, I am crying right now.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Anything that can be said, would not be enough. Venus :worship:

LightWarrior
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
This woman is so wise and soothing to listen to. She would make a great spiritual leader.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
If I had to pick one single player active on the WTA tour who demostates the attitude of a champion better than any other I would chose Venus Williams without a moment's hesitation.

I really hope these comments of hers will finally put an end to all the idiotic posts in this forum suggesting she retire.

Chip.
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Venus, never change. :sobbing:

This video literally brought tears to my eyes. No one can question the fight in Venus Williams, if she didn't have it she would have already retired because she truly has a valid reason to. Fight on Venus your fans love you and even your non fans can respect what you bring to the game. You are giving millions of people hope and belief that anything is possible simply by walking on the court. This is why I love Venus Williams, pure class. A great champion, humanitarian, ambassador and inspiration.

Really sums up my feelings well. Nicely written :)

ArturoAce.
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
I love this woman, she is so inspirational!

I'm so happy that I got to meet her before Miami as she was working on her comeback; such a surreal experience seeing her practice with no other fans around.

cn ireland
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
What a great attitude:D!!

My respect for Venus continues to grow...

starin
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:00 PM
She should probably ask Justine for advise. She quit while still #1 and somehow has lots of respect for herself.

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Venus :D

gmokb
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Still has more in you Venus, don't let anyone tell you otherwise:worship:

SELVEN
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:10 AM
I LOVE Venus

Renalicious
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Beautiful video, sad but inspiring. Keep going Vee. :worship:

Chance
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:48 AM
yeah i was touched by that line, and this thread is breaking me:sad:.

Btw, i finally checked out Serena's interview... good to see rena taking the loss reasonably well.

new-york
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:05 AM
So proud. :inlove:

Andy.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:06 AM
I have so much respect for Venus. A true champ on and off the court. So well spoken.

champion88
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:20 AM
Really liking Vee right now :hearts:

Hope she can pull something good out at Wimbledon!

Pops Maellard
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:08 AM
:bowdown::inlove:

Vuvurenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:25 AM
VeeVee :awww::bigcry: Such a fighter. Hope everything goes well for her in Wimbledon, US Open and the Olympics.

Matze
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
Wow... What a human-being!!! This is just wow... I do not have any other words for this great woman!!! I truly believe the destiny of god will reward her for this incredible fight and war against something bad with a last great big final victory at Wimbledon, Olympics or the US Open... This is a person who deserves it more than any other player on this planet!!! Just can repeat myself: Woooow

Stamp Paid
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM
:yeah:

SilverPersian
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Yeah, it's impossible to doubt that Vee is anything other than a beautiful, integrity-filled person :hug:

FleetSeb
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
This is really touching.

I want her to win at least one more title. Preferably in the US somewhere.

Andrewraven
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
:hug: i love her smile :)

The Witch-king
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
This woman puts so many others to shame.
This thread is not about looking down on anyone. I think we all go through crap in our lives and we all fight and try our best, except most of the time no one knows it because it wasn't filmed or given a narrative with sombre piano notes playing in the background. At this point Venus represents everyone going through some kind of adversity, small or big, and her determination reminds us of the indomitable spirit that exists within all of us. She's not better than any other human being, on the contrary the video shows how much she is just like all of us which is why, I think, this video has resonated with so many people.

I really feel for her and everyone that's fighting for something right now.

rechi
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
She is definetely on of the most inspiring people if ever met (yeah i really met her in 2010). I have so much respect for her continuing her fight to stay a top-tennisplayer. This interview is just so touching, showing also a "superstar" has his troubles and fighting a illness, like all the other people on this world do. Everyone has his own troubles and she just shows us, never give up, no matter what and believe in yourself and anything is possible. I want Venus to win at least on more title!!!

Vee you are just one of the most awesome people on this planet :)

The Witch-king
Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Here is an article version of that video with some additional quotes published in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/sports/tennis/venus-williams-battling-disease-back-at-french-open.html?_r=1

For Williams, Illness Lurks as Persistent Foe
By GREG BISHOP
Published: May 28, 2012

PARIS — On her worst days, when Venus Williams struggled to climb out of bed, when her depleted energy reserves allowed for all of 10 minutes of tennis practice, she belted out songs from Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/05/29/sports/VENUS/VENUS-articleInline.jpg
Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Venus Williams, who won her opening match at the French Open on Sunday, has Sjögren’s syndrome, an autoimmune disease.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/05/29/sports/JPVENUS/JPVENUS-articleInline.jpg
Yoan Valat/European Pressphoto Agency
Venus Williams has returned to the tour with hopes of earning a spot in the Olympics.

Singing replaced swinging; karaoke became her way to cope.

“When the music came on, everybody knew,” Williams said. “Like: ‘Didn’t she just go to practice? She’s back already? Must be time to sing.’ ”

Williams said this Monday, in a quiet moment at the French Open, inside a windowless room beneath the courts. Since doctors told her she had Sjögren’s syndrome, an incurable autoimmune disease, last year at the United States Open, everything has changed. Williams says she wakes up each morning unsure of how she will feel.

Rolling the dice, she called it.

Sometimes, her joints hurt and creak. Sometimes, it takes great effort just to move. Some days she feels the way she used to feel, when she conquered women’s tennis and carved a Hall of Fame career. Other days, she feels scared and anxious and does not want to leave the house.

Williams, who is 31, cannot describe exactly what her disease feels like, only the myriad ways it has changed her life. This is the most accurate description she has arrived at: “I always tell people it’s like going to the races. The other cars are ready. The drivers are prepared.” Only Williams is not ready, not prepared the way she wants to be. “So you have to be more confident than everyone else.”

She paused, sighed and collected herself.

“I’m not in control,” she said. “I’m getting used to that. That’s how my life is now. But I’m here. It could be a lot worse.”

Williams said her mind-set changed in February. Not because she felt better. Because she felt she had no choice.

Ever since Williams can remember, her father, Richard, pushed his tennis-playing daughters to become Olympians, even before tennis returned to the Olympics. He loved everything about the Games and watched religiously. His dream became their dream.

“That’s all I want now, to be an Olympian again,” said Venus Williams, who won two gold medals in 2000. “If not for the Olympics, I would probably have come back around now. I would have waited until I was comfortable. Because I was a wreck. My first match back, I couldn’t move my arms. I was like, ‘Can I even win a set?’ ”

Ninety minutes into Williams’s first-round match Sunday, the television above the court had been packed away, the crowd had thinned, even the sun hid behind the clouds. Between points, she walked slowly and gasped for breath.

To most, it was the routine end to a mostly routine first day of the French Open. But to Williams, her 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory against Paula Ormaechea of Argentina meant much, much more. She called it a “huge accomplishment” to walk onto the court.

It meant a chance to entrench her solid but uncertain Olympic standing for the London Games. It meant she had successfully returned to Grand Slam play for the first time since the diagnosis.

It meant Williams could play tennis for another day, period. And that meant something, too, far more than when the Williams sisters ruled women’s tennis and it seemed as if they would carry on that way forever. Before the one who started it all got sick.

“My biggest challenge?” Williams mused after the match. “Learning how to live like this.”

Her 15th foray at the French Open proved different from the rest. Never had the expectations been this low when the stakes were this high. Williams’s 54 wins at Roland Garros are the most among active women’s players. Yet matched against an opponent playing in her first French Open main draw, Williams was thought by many to be ripe for an upset.

Williams’s family and friends, perhaps a dozen in all, gathered in her box behind the baseline. They knew as well as anybody that her career had reached its twilight. They watched her after the diagnosis, saw the way she switched to a vegan diet, the strength the disease sapped, the seven-month layoff that resulted.

Ninety minutes in on Sunday, Williams and Ormaechea had played to a standstill, one set apiece, 3-3 in the third. As a cameraman trained his lens on the Williamses’ box, the family matriarch, Oracene Price, implored her daughter forward. “Let’s fight, V!” she said, fist clenched. “Get ready! Get ready!”

Williams would later say, “My mom is, um, interesting.”

To qualify for the Olympics, Williams came back in March. She needed not only to boost her ranking into the top 56 by the end of this French Open but also be ranked no lower than fourth among American women.

She entered her match here ranked 53rd, third among American women. But Vania King and Varvara Lepchenko remained within striking distance, all three separated by no more than 10 slots. (They won their first matches here as American women have compiled a 10-0 record in the first round so far.) The results here will matter. And not only is Williams still dealing with her illness, but she also has to solidify her spot on clay, far and away her worst surface.

Williams listened to her mother, broke Ormaechea easily for 4-3 and held for 5-3. The box practically exploded. Her mother did a little dance. A forehand winner left Williams two points from victory. An error from her opponent secured it.

To say that Williams survived a first-round scare would miss the larger point. She came back in March still ill, still fatigued, ranked 134th. She reached the quarterfinals in Miami, Charleston and Rome. She beat four players ranked in the top 20.

Her sister Serena said: “Everything she’s doing is so inspiring for me.”

On Wednesday, though, Agnieszka Radwanska, the third seed, awaits Williams in the second round. Williams, with no points to defend here after she skipped the French last season, has positioned herself for the Olympic berth that forced her away from her karaoke machine. (She often still travels with one.)

Here, Williams took another step toward London. For now, that was enough.

vwfan
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Congrats Venus.

You're in the Olympics and back on grass. Let's do this!