PDA

View Full Version : Contenders still standing

Leo_DFP
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm excited by the line-up of contenders left in this event. Between Sharapova, Stosur, Li, Azarenka, and Kvitova, I think we have big names in the draw who actually mean something. They'll be hard to beat and they appear in good form (perhaps minus Aza who will have to step it up vs. Cibs).

Based on actual chances to win, I'd personally rank as follows:
1. Sharapova
2. Stosur
3. Li
4. Azarenka
5. Kvitova

Sharakim
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
I agree with your list of contenders except I'd put Li slightly ahead of stosur as 2nd favorite behind Masha. I don't wanna get to excited because it's only the first week and there's still a lot of tennis to be played. Still, nice to see the excepted favorites living up to their billing so far.

vozas
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Yes I was thinking about it just now. It's great to have such a strong field of contenders way ahead of everyone else. Maria, Stosur, Victoria and Li Na. Since the Henin days the tournament has become a mess but the favorites are very very clear this year. (I omitted Petra on purpose, I don't see her going past either Li or Sharapova)

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
I would switch Li with Stosur, but looking at how unpredictable RG can be I'm not betting my life on any of the five of them to take the crown

Potato
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Kuznetsova is now a contender with her amazing performance today... if she can keep it up then she is a serious favorite.

sxeraserhead
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Vika, Stosur and Petra all lost in R4.

Queenpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sharapova is NOT winning. Li or Sam will probably take it.

BH both wings
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Kuznetsova displayed some serious clay skills today. Stosur will probably face Azarenka if she wants to get to the final, and Azarenka doesn't seem to be too scared of Stosur's serve. Of course, it is clay this time, and they seem to have changed the balls to more Stosur-friendly ones this year, but still ...

Kvitova and Li are yet to show their hand. I'm surprised how fast people have put Li back on the list of favourites. Did I miss something?

MaSharp
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Kuznetsova is now a contender with her amazing performance today... if she can keep it up then she is a serious favorite.
This.
And I want Sharapova to win RG so badly! I would be really dessapointed if she not win the trophy. :/

vozas
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM

This, though. Li, Sam or even Extremely Injured will definitely take it.

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM

Yeah...wouldn't be surprised if Schiavone or Sveta come out as the unexpected winner either

Tennis_News
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Top contender: Sharapova
Very possible: Stosur, Li, Azarenka, Kvitova
Possible, but not likely: Kuznetsova, Wozniacki, Schiavone

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
yes it would be nice if we had QF of Vika, Sam, Sveta, Flavia / Angie, Na, Petra, Caro ( :tape: ), Maria

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Vika is slightly overrated.:oh:

Synth
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Top contender: Sharapova
Very possible: Stosur, Li, Azarenka, Kvitova
Possible, but not likely: Kuznetsova, Wozniacki, Schiavone

I would add Kerber to the Possible, but not likely list and it's perfect. :)

LUVMIRZA
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Viktoria:hysteric: She's in a bad shape.

Top contenders: Li, Stosur, Sharapova

Second Level: Sveta, Kvitova, Schiavone, Angie

Third and desperate level: Vika

BepaMaria
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Goerges and Maria are the favourites for me. Both of them will face off in the quarters and that will be the real final. The winner of that match goes on to take the title :shrug:

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM
BepaMaria :hysteric:

Miracle Worker
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Contenders still standing and pretenders are going home. Even JJ is out already :sobbing:

Big_Banana
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
this RG has a big surprise coming on the horizon. a blonde surprise. european. from bremen.

and no, Na won't win. I'd love it, I'd probably cut my right hand to see her winning it, but this won't happen.

madmax
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Goerges and Maria are the favourites for me. Both of them will face off in the quarters and that will be the real final. The winner of that match goes on to take the title :shrug:

:worship:
I think we are soulmates...

flareon
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Li, stosur, franny, sveta, maria are my top five for the title Kvitova in 6th.

BH both wings
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Sharapova should win this, of course. She needs a terrible day off or an opponent with divine support to fail.
Azarenka's biggest hurdle to the final is Cibulkova, and she needs an inspired day in the final to win it all.
Stosur must love the conditions this year, they are almost perfect for her. But she probably will have to get past Azarenka, without the penetration of her usual arsenal.
Kvitova has a tough draw, I'd be surprised if she hit her way through the field without a bad day. I'm not sure she is there yet.
Li hasn't won a match against a top opponent this year. She would have to beat two or three in a row here. She could defeat Kvitova and Sharapova to meet Stosur or Kuznetsova in the final, with these balls and court there is no way for her to defeat them.
Kuznetsova, well, wouldn't that be a story?
Kerber, well, as long as she can push her opponents to a third set, nobody can defeat her ...
Schiavone, I seriously doubt it. There are too many players who can just hit through her. Not all of them will fail ...

Valanga
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
The counter-jinxing in this thread :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:51 PM
Li, stosur, franny, sveta, maria are my top five for the title Kvitova in 6th.

I'd agree with this. :yeah:

Sveta and Fran both came into this tournament pretty much overlooked by everyone due to long spells of bad form. But both have very real pedigree in this tournament and they have both refound their game over the course of their 1st few matches to put themselves right into contention in a way they certainly were not at the start of the event.

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM
I'd keep them in that order, Li's never beaten Stosur right?

NashaMasha
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
to early to make such predictions
We need to watch competitive matches with them, Li, Kvitova, Stosur, Sharapova are at the top , Vika is slightly behind , Kuzzy after her match with Errani may become favorite too

Nicolás89
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
Petronila, contender? :happy:

Temperenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
1. Na
2. Maria
3. Sam

shap_half
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
Yes I was thinking about it just now. It's great to have such a strong field of contenders way ahead of everyone else. Maria, Stosur, Victoria and Li Na. Since the Henin days the tournament has become a mess but the favorites are very very clear this year. (I omitted Petra on purpose, I don't see her going past either Li or Sharapova)

How would any of these five winning mean that the tournament isn't a mess? They all suck at clay, and the only reason any of them are winning is because they all have to face each other.

Pasta-Na
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
1.Vika
2.Maria
3.Stosur
4.Kvitova
5.Na

Nicolás89
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
How would any of these five winning mean that the tournament isn't a mess? They all suck at clay, and the only reason any of them are winning is because they all have to face each other.

IKR it was already a mess when henin used to win it facing poor clay court players centuries ago.

shap_half
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM
IKR it was already a mess when henin used to win it facing poor clay court players centuries ago.

What does she have to do with this thread?

Charlatan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM

:lol:

Nicolás89
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:13 AM
What does she have to do with this thread?

We are talking about the tournament being a mess. There's no she.

shap_half
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
We are talking about the tournament being a mess. There's no she.

Your contributions to this forum are about as interesting as a swarm of fruit flies. I suggest you take your cries for attention to a place that could really appreciate them. I'm sure there are tons of abandoned gloryholes where you're at that could really use a desperate whining twat to drum up business.

Good luck to you, sir.

Nicolás89
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM
Your contributions to this forum are about as interesting as a swarm of fruit flies. I suggest you take your cries for attention to a place that could really appreciate them. I'm sure there are tons of abandoned gloryholes where you're at that could really use a desperate whining twat to drum up business.

Good luck to you, sir.

OMFG it takes so little to press some people's buttons. :hysteric:

Johnbert
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:34 AM
Sharapova should win this, of course. She needs a terrible day off or an opponent with divine support to fail.

as exampel, you really think the defending champion li would need a horrible day from sharapova to beat her? :unsure:

Temperenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:42 AM
It's kind of nice that many people (myself included) are underestimating Vika right now. I hope she feels less pressure.

I mean, most people still don't have her in the top 4 for possibilities but if you think about it... she hasn't lost a match before the final in 8 of her last 9 tournaments. And yet consensus at this point seems to be that she has about a 10% chance of taking the title.

I hope she can overcome the odds :)

jameshazza
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:45 AM
If she gets past Domi she should make the final. Depends on what Stosur decides to bring as well. Also, she seems to me like a pretty form dependent player, like for instance I feel that her best shots at title's are when she's on fire from the get-go. I'm not a stan and don't follow her with too much interest so I could be wrong.

Aaric
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Li is not winning again, neither is Stosur. If María doesnt get it, I´d bet on Azarenka/Kerber

tennisforadults
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
I think some people here definitely rated Radwanska as a contender, considering her best-in-career clay form and results. Few people gave Kuznetsova much of a mention pre-tournament, but we all know what she's capable of. If she is to make a deep run, she will be more of a Comeback queen (like Dokic at AO).

I still rate Azarenka ahead of Li and Stosur. She is still the player most likely to come out of her half.

freefallball
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:42 AM
Skill wise, Stosur, Sveta, Li Na has the game to take a RO. But these three can self destruct and gift the game any time.
Mental wise, Maria can outlast the three.

perseus2006
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:24 AM

Good luck to you, sir.

Well, aren't you just the foul mouthed, blustering, arrogant, judgemental, self righteous, badass Bully! Being from New York, it is certain that you are very familiar with "abandoned gloryholes" and being a "desperate whining twat". Just because you are currently off-shift, you are not enabled to be unkind, disrespectful or uncivil.

If you don't like a poster's "contributions", ignore that poster rather than attacking him/her just because your West Coast cousin supplied you with an "applause line" about fruit flies.

Even New Yorkers can be civil. Learn it or I recommend to you that you "bug out".

SilverPersian
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Masha
Azarenka
Kvitova
Sammy
NaNa
Sveta
Kerber

imo

AnomyBC
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
At the moment, I'd rank the most likely winners like this:

1. Sharapova
2. Azarenka
3. Kvitova
4. Li
5. Stosur
6. Kuzzy
7. Kerber
8. Cibulkova
9. Wozniacki
10. Schiavone

BH both wings
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
as exampel, you really think the defending champion li would need a horrible day from sharapova to beat her? :unsure:

Yes. I've seen quite a lot matches from Li this year, she didn't had a single one that was good enough to beat Sharapova. Li is the better clay court player, in my opinion, but she cannot play >=70% for longer than one, maybe one-and-a-half sets at the moment. Sharapova is intelligent enough to exploit that.

lee station
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
go sam or sveta :)

Big_Banana
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Yes. I've seen quite a lot matches from Li this year, she didn't had a single one that was good enough to beat Sharapova. Li is the better clay court player, in my opinion, but she cannot play >=70% for longer than one, maybe one-and-a-half sets at the moment. Sharapova is intelligent enough to exploit that.

you said you've seen many matches played by Na this year, right? well, maria doesn't need to be intelligent, no one needs to, it's a matter of time, once you know she (Na) may brainfart, you just have to wait. I'd say that 90% of the matches that Na lost this year were lost by herself. don't want to minimize the others' wins, it's obvious. but I mean, it was everytime her own bipolarism showing up.
this said, I still don't think Na could lose so easily against her in an HYPOTETIC semifinal. Rome final was too close.

Smith Saybrook
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM

That's a pretty far off statement. I'd venture to guess that Li's match AGAINST SHARAPOVA in Rome, she was good enough to beat Sharapova. When you're one point away, I'd say that's a fair example of being 'good enough' even though she didn't get it done this time.

Let's just say, for as good as Masha's serving has been so far, you get a blustery windy day, she still has a chance to fall apart.

Smith Saybrook
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
It's kind of nice that many people (myself included) are underestimating Vika right now. I hope she feels less pressure.

I mean, most people still don't have her in the top 4 for possibilities but if you think about it... she hasn't lost a match before the final in 8 of her last 9 tournaments. And yet consensus at this point seems to be that she has about a 10% chance of taking the title.

I hope she can overcome the odds :)

Do people really thing a consensus in a message board thread is enough for Azarenka to feel less pressure? :lol: Being #1 & Melbourne champion are going to put enough pressure on her, that I don't think can be alleviated by 35 posts of underestimation.

stromatolite
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Petra will need to step it up to be considered a serious contender IMO (atm I'd put her about on a par with Kerber and Woz, and below Sveta), otherwise I pretty much agree with your list and your ordering.

TheHangover
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
At the moment, I'd rank the most likely winners like this:

1. Sharapova
2. Azarenka
3. Kvitova
4. Li
5. Stosur
6. Kuzzy
7. Kerber
8. Cibulkova
9. Wozniacki
10. Schiavone

i would say

Sharapova
Stosur
Azarenka
Li
Kuznetsova
Kvitova
Wozniacki
Kerber
Errani
Schiavone

TheHangover
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
i would say

Sharapova
Stosur
Azarenka
Li
Kuznetsova
Kvitova
Wozniacki
Kerber
Errani
Schiavone

number 10 out Schiavone in Cibulkova

Temperenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Do people really thing a consensus in a message board thread is enough for Azarenka to feel less pressure? :lol: Being #1 & Melbourne champion are going to put enough pressure on her, that I don't think can be alleviated by 35 posts of underestimation.

No, but I think opinions here can often be representative. The way she has played thus far has many people (analysts, etc.) underestimating her ability to win.

Synth
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
The way she has played thus far has many people (analysts, etc.) underestimating her ability to win.

The bigger factor to me is people overestimating Maria's chances of taking the title. There are quite a few people who are showing the potential to take the title, including all the people listed in this thread. And most of them have a decent shot of winning. I don't think Azarenka has shown that she's in better form than say, Na.

With that being said, Maria is still the favorite- I just don't think it's quite as much of a slam dunk as the pundits and analysts would like people to believe.

tennisforadults
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:18 AM

Once again, BepaMaria delivers. :worship: