PDA

View Full Version : Martina Navratilova says that nobody how hard she tried she was not loved by French

treufreund
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Interesting conversation that she is having with Carillo right now on TTC. She said that she felt loved everywhere else but in France and that she felt that the French do not deal well with strong women. I have to say that I think she may be right. France seems to idolize ultrafemininity which is not Martina by any means. I met a French lady recently who resembled Amelie Mauresmo quite a bit and I mentioned this to her in a nice way. Her response was "Oh my god no. She is a very masculine lesbian":rolleyes: I really think on the other hand that Amelie Mauresmo was well-liked mostly there but she did not handle the pressure well. Justine Henin and Francesca Schiavone are pretty butch but well admired there.

Sammo
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Oh please, the French crowd is pathetic how can anyone care about what they think?

Nicolás89
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
They loved Graf, masculine.

Leo_DFP
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I don't think it has to do with masculinity. That's not the appropriate conclusion to jump to. They definitely have something against dominant players/champions who are cocky/over-confident and maybe lacking in flair. Serena and Navratilova played with a certain brutishness. Weren't the French also cold to Monica in her early days prior to the stabbing, or was that more so other crowds?

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM
Oh please, the French crowd is pathetic how can anyone care about what they think?

This, who cares about how the most classless, boorish and pathetic bunch of crowd ever think? If the players that were unliked such as the two Martinas and Serena cared so much about what those twats thought they wouldn't have even bothered playing RG, the French crowd can be worse than soccer fans sometimes, booing and jeering for no reason

Djezonfly
So the French crowd only like ultra feminine women but loves Amélie, Justine and Fran ? Your post doesn't make any sense.

To be honest I don't know if Martina N. was loved or not, but she says she TRIED to be loved and I think that's the problem. Same thing happened with Serena this week, it seems like she was desperate for the crowd to love her and in the end it got to her.

The French crowd is rude and dumb (at least on the main courts) for the most part. It sucks but you have to deal with it. I don't think their hatred towards players is logical. They're not homophobic, they're not anti-American (Roddick, Agassi are well liked for instance), and despite what some posters might think I don't think they're racist (Tsonga and Monfils are the most popular players here, I remember James Blake being well liked too).

Nicolás89
Anyway I think the french crowd is rude in general & it remains a certain sexism on them, didn't Chris Evert say once that she was constantly booed out of the court because they wanted to see the men play?

tennisfan5
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:16 PM
French crowd is ridiculously rude and fickle. I remember they cheered Monica on in '98 after her father's death, then in '00 against Pierce(ok she was playing Mah-Ree)they booed her for going to grab a tissue to blow her nose.

Nicolás89
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
French crowd is ridiculously rude and fickle. I remember they cheered Monica on in '98 after her father's death, then in '00 against Pierce(ok she was playing Mah-Ree)they booed her for going to grab a tissue to blow her nose.

They also booed Pierce that year though, they don't discriminate. :lol:

treufreund
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
So the French crowd only like ultra feminine women but loves Amélie, Justine and Fran ? Your post doesn't make any sense.

To be honest I don't know if Martina N. was loved or not, but she says she TRIED to be loved and I think that's the problem. Same thing happened with Serena this week, it seems like she was desperate for the crowd to love her and in the end it got to her.

The French crowd is rude and dumb (at least on the main courts) for the most part. It sucks but you have to deal with it. I don't think their hatred towards players is logical. They're not homophobic, they're not anti-American (Roddick, Agassi are well liked for instance), and despite what some posters might think I don't think they're racist (Tsonga and Monfils are the most popular players here, I remember James Blake being well liked too).

I think that was my point was that I was pointing out those contradictions and looking for some feedback. Back off of me and don't talk to me so rudely!:rolleyes:

Smith Saybrook
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Interesting conversation that she is having with Carillo right now on TTC. She said that she felt loved everywhere else but in France and that she felt that the French do not deal well with strong women. I have to say that I think she may be right. France seems to idolize ultrafemininity which is not Martina by any means. I met a French lady recently who resembled Amelie Mauresmo quite a bit and I mentioned this to her in a nice way. Her response was "Oh my god no. She is a very masculine lesbian":rolleyes: I really think on the other hand that Amelie Mauresmo was well-liked mostly there but she did not handle the pressure well. Justine Henin and Francesca Schiavone are pretty butch but well admired there.

Comparing a crowd supporting a tennis player to telling an individual she resembles someone physically is so not the same thing. I like in many ways the comedy of Judd Apatow, but if you told me I resembled him, I'd have a similar reaction.

I think it has a lot more to do with dominant players than anything else. Like many have pointed out Amelie, Justine, & Fran have been loved by the crowds in Paris.

Djezonfly
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I think that was my point was that I was pointing out those contradictions and looking for some feedback. Back off of me and don't talk to me so rudely!:rolleyes:

Where was I rude to you ? :confused: I just said your post wasn't clear.

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Comparing a crowd supporting a tennis player to telling an individual she resembles someone physically is so not the same thing. I like in many ways the comedy of Judd Apatow, but if you told me I resembled him, I'd have a similar reaction.

I think it has a lot more to do with dominant players than anything else. Like many have pointed out Amelie, Justine, & Fran have been loved by the crowds in Paris.

What do Amelie, Justine and Fran have in common? :oh:

Nicolás89
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM

One handed backhands. :confused:

footygirl
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
This, who cares about how the most classless, boorish and pathetic bunch of crowd ever think? If the players that were unliked such as the two Martinas and Serena cared so much about what those twats thought they wouldn't have even bothered playing RG, the French crowd can be worse than soccer fans sometimes, booing and jeering for no reason

Quite agree - they have an embarrassing oaf as President of the FFT - so behaviour patterns obviously follow:rolleyes:
The booing of Asderaki was atrocious conduct by the chav fans and the idiot who is the President of the FFT

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM
One handed backhands. :confused:

Yes but.....other than that? ;)

GeeTee
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
Where was I rude to you ? :confused: I just said your post wasn't clear.
Thanks to you and treufeund for acting out the problems between US and French people! :devil:

Djezonfly
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Quite agree - they have an embarrassing oaf as President of the FFT - so behaviour patterns obviously follow:rolleyes:
The booing of Asderaki was atrocious conduct by the chav fans and the idiot who is the President of the FFT

The American crowd also booed Asderaki last year, so that's not really an argument :lol:

I agree on the FFT bit tho, they're a disgrace.

Smith Saybrook
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM

They don't fit into the ultrafeminine on court appearance that the OP was saying was a necessary ingredient to be beloved by French crowds, despite the fact that they always have gotten warm receptions in Paris.

Beat
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
a) if you try hard to make someone love you, you're doomed.

b) everyone knows how boorish the FO crowd is.

c) surely FO crowd ≠ france

d) the OP doesn't make much sense.

Djezonfly
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM
a) if you try hard to make someone love you, you're doomed.

b) everyone knows how boorish the FO crowd is.

c) surely FO crowd ≠ france

d) the OP doesn't make much sense.

:worship:

Marcus1979
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
did they ever boo Graf, she was the most dominant player, then you have a player like serena who has been getting a raw deal from them for the last decade.

Justine is a dominant player and they have never booed her.

In Australia serena this gen, martina and monica last gen were worshipped :)

Mrs. Peel
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:40 PM

ALL of this.

The Razzano/Rus match was interesting. Rus is very attractive and fit; qualities that took her a long way. She could also play really well. The crowd was for Razzano at first (being rudely quiet when the other opponent is playing as well as cheering errors and double faults). By the end of the match there wasn't so much support for her while Rus received a fair amount of appreciation. Maybe I am just imagining things!

thrust
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM

Steffi was liked in France for several reasons: Her style of play, her acceptance of lines calls, she was able to play without shrieking, many of the fans there are probably Germans. Navratilova was a fierce competitor, but unlike Graf or Evert, she came across as a mean complaining bully on court. Hingis, at times, was a nasty bitch who seemed to gloat with her victories by ridiculing her opponents. She got the treatment she deserved in the 99 final. I do think Evert was liked, but European fans those days did not appreciate long and boring women's matches. In Evert's case her matches were mostly one sided an not very exciting till the semi's or finals. Mauresmo always underachieved at the FO, so the fans were dissappointed with her. Henin was a French speaking Belgian, with a great clay court game. Serena, at times, comes accross as an arrogant bully. Overall, I think the French crowd is pretty much the same as the USO crowds. Wimbledon was always a snobbish upper class boring crowd. Not so much today though, thankfully. The Aussies are probaby the best, overall. Polite, enthusiastic and fair.

shoparound
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Sharapova can tell you the crowd won't like just because you're pretty.
Eva can probably say the same thing.

Nicolás89
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Steffi was liked in France for several reasons: Her style of play, her acceptance of lines calls, she was able to play without shrieking, many of the fans there are probably Germans. Navratilova was a fierce competitor, but unlike Graf or Evert, she came across as a mean complaining bully on court. Hingis, at times, was a nasty bitch who seemed to gloat with her victories by ridiculing her opponents. She got the treatment she deserved in the 99 final. I do think Evert was liked, but European fans those days did not appreciate long and boring women's matches. In Evert's case her matches were mostly one sided an not very exciting till the semi's or finals. Mauresmo always underachieved at the FO, so the fans were dissappointed with her. Henin was a French speaking Belgian, with a great clay court game. Serena, at times, comes accross as an arrogant bully. Overall, I think the French crowd is pretty much the same as the USO crowds. Wimbledon was always a snobbish upper class boring crowd. Not so much today though, thankfully. The Aussies are probaby the best, overall. Polite, enthusiastic and fair.

Lol No, just no.

PetraReeMona
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM

Flair :confused: which the French absolutely adore :)

If you noticed, they started cheering for Petra Martic against Bartoli..... so I feel it has to do with tennis flair.

footygirl
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
The American crowd also booed Asderaki last year, so that's not really an argument :lol:

I agree on the FFT bit tho, they're a disgrace.

on both occasions asderaki was correct - but brian earlhy had the guts to publically back eva

this one - well goodness knows where his knowledge of the sport lies - probsbly in hospitality tents rather than a rulebook

hingis-seles
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM

There was whistling and booing when Steffi questioned a call in the tiebreak of her 1990 RG final with Monica. The crowd was behind Monica all the way, presumably bored by the Graf dominance. By 1992, bored with Monica's dominance the crowd was fiercely behind Steffi. Oh, and Monica was booed in 1991 during her victory speeches at RG and the US Open.

calou
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm French,went to RG in the 80's ,i could tell this crowd is stupid and versatile :devil:
This morning we're talking with a friend about our ridiculous FFT ,his lack of class,beside his predecessors Bimes and Chatrier ,a SHAME !

Serenaluv
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
There's a few things people should know :

The ppl that boo are the poor youngsters on top of the stadium that can't afford better seats.

Just look at the people when there's booing, the majority of adult's their mouths don't even move in contrast to the most elevated seats.

But French ppl in general think they are better at everything, but in reality there's nothing they are good in besides making pastry.

Wimbledon9
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
The crowd did love Chris Evert and not Martina, they did love Amelie Mauresmo and when Mauresmo arrived they started to love Martina they probably realized why they were not nice to Martina.

Martina spoke whole sentences in french but still they did not love her. In her second career they were much nicer to Martina It was alo the pr for Chris Evert who painted her as the ideal daughter in law feminine and soft. Martina is the one who has the soft character it came out of the documentary unmatched.

As some suggested Martina questionned line calls but also nobody corrected more calls then Martina in the other players favour, a lot of players said so especially lower ranked players called Martina very fair and are very fond of her. She stopped it because she never did get a point back.

The english at first where not to fond of Martina but now she could become queen of England matter of speaking.

Start da Game
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
it could all be part of the secret agenda of frauderacione francaise de tenis......they send rowdy bunches into the stadium to distract non french players and cheer for local players......

there's also some truth that french crowd are often lost who to support and who not to......their madness reached its pinnacle when they booed monfils and supported federina last year......

calou
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM

The ppl that boo are the poor youngsters on top of the stadium that can't afford better seats.

Just look at the people when there's booing, the majority of adult's their mouths don't even move in contrast to the most elevated seats.

But French ppl in general think they are better at everything, but in reality there's nothing they are good in besides making pastry.
Please don't generalize ,there're good people in every country ,don't forget we're your best allied ;)

metamorpha
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM
It's not about lacking flair... it's about being loudmouth and cocky.

Fist-pumping, excessive grunting, disrespectful gesture etc.

Yonexforever
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think the French just love to be rebellious historically and they apply it liberally.
They strike all the time, they are hostile to certain immigrant groups. They must still think Marie Antoinette is still alive!
:)

footygirl
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Please don't generalize ,there're good people in every country ,don't forget we're your best allied ;)

So how does Gaschessin get the job of FFT when he has now background in the sport- and even worse does not know how to behave in an appropriate fashion- rather conduct himself as an publicity seeking idiot

calou
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
So how does Gaschessin get the job of FFT when he has now background in the sport- and even worse does not know how to behave in an appropriate fashion- rather conduct himself as an publicity seeking idiot
Error ,he was an international rugbyman , a tennis player with a decent classification and knowing a lot of people ,his lobbying worked ...
Agree he's a shame !

LightWarrior
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Interesting conversation that she is having with Carillo right now on TTC. She said that she felt loved everywhere else but in France and that she felt that the French do not deal well with strong women.

What a load of hypocritical b***. Or does she have Alzheimer already ?
She was not "loved" anywhere because of her butch attitude. Does she remember her matches against Evert at Wimbledon ? The whole British crowd always supported Chris every single time, it was embarassing for Martina. If anything she had slightly more support at RG than at Wimbledon.

Drake1980
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
:eek: :sad:

jrollaneres25
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
The Thread title.....
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/mcollinknight/Jon%20and%20Stephen%20get%20their%20own%20album/rachel_whaaaaa.gif

calou
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM
What a load of hypocritical b***. Or does she have Alzheimer already ?
She was not "loved" anywhere because of her butch attitude. Does she remember her matches against Evert at Wimbledon ? The whole British crowd always supported Chris every single time, it was embarassing for Martina. If anything she had slightly more support at RG than at Wimbledon.
That's an old story ma chčre today she's loved by many but not by you :lol:

pov
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Justine Henin and Francesca Schiavone are pretty butch but well admired there.
:lol: Henin isn't butch.

King Halep
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM

They dislike bitchy players. Allez!

pov
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
But [fill-in-the-blank] ppl in general think they are better at everything, but in reality there's nothing they are good in besides [fill-in-the-blank]

BTW without France there might not even be a USA.

King Halep
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM

and they didnt even support America in their war of colonizationliberation in Iraq :sad:

King Halep
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Sharapova can tell you the crowd won't like just because you're pretty.
Eva can probably say the same thing.

Unattractive

Inside

thrust
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
and they didnt even support America in their war of colonizationliberation in Iraq :sad:

THE FRENCH WERE RIGHT ABOUT IRAQ. BUSH-CHENEY, WHO I VOTET FOR, LIED TO GET US INTO THAT UNNECESSARY WAR. SAYING THE FRENCH, ASSUMING YOU MEAN IT, ARE GOOD AT NOTHING IS THE HEIGHT OF IGNORANCE!

Dawn Marie
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM
The Thread title.....
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/mcollinknight/Jon%20and%20Stephen%20get%20their%20own%20album/rachel_whaaaaa.gif
OMG,WAY FUNNY!! LOL

hobahobaspirit
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM
I smell a lot of francophobia and french bashing in this thread ...

Chrissie-fan
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:57 PM
I don't think it has to do with masculinity. That's not the appropriate conclusion to jump to. They definitely have something against dominant players/champions who are cocky/over-confident and maybe lacking in flair.
Only when it comes to the women though. They loved McEnroe and especially Connors, not that those two were lacking in flair.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:10 AM
Anyway I think the french crowd is rude in general & it remains a certain sexism on them, didn't Chris Evert say once that she was constantly booed out of the court because they wanted to see the men play?
That attitude also translated itself to the media. Maybe things have changed now, I don't know, but before there was eurosport I remember following the FO on French television. They had two channels who covered the event from day one from 11 in the morning until about 9 in the evening and you never saw any womens matches whatsoever until the semis when there was no mens tennis.

As for Evert being booed, yes, and she was actually someone they usually supported, especially if she was up against Navratilova. But they booed even their own women if they would rather see a mens match that was to follow it.

King Halep
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:11 AM
THE FRENCH WERE RIGHT ABOUT IRAQ. BUSH-CHENEY, WHO I VOTET FOR, LIED TO GET US INTO THAT UNNECESSARY WAR. SAYING THE FRENCH, ASSUMING YOU MEAN IT, ARE GOOD AT NOTHING IS THE HEIGHT OF IGNORANCE!

You voted for them? I dont blame you for being pissed. :sad:

Stamp Paid
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
I think there is no overarching rhyme or reason to the French crowd's behavior. They have favorites, but will turn on them. Each match is its own epic story :lol:
But they have traumatized me twice already now, so I can never forgive them.

atominside
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:27 AM
I blame the French Revolution!

thrust
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM
You voted for them? I dont blame you for being @#!*% . :sad:

We all make mistakes, like it or not-LOL!!

Grigorpova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Don't blame them, Martina's a bitch.

LDVTennis
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:19 AM

If Martina (H) could kick her coke habit, so can you. It is obviously fueling your delusions. --- :lol:

Sam L
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
did they ever boo Graf, she was the most dominant player,

Yes 1990 in the final, at least briefly for sure. The crowd was very pro Monica.

I don't think it has to do with anything. They like underdogs and they support French players. That is all I've noticed.

Stamp Paid
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
If Martina (H) could kick her coke habit, so can you. It is obviously fueling your delusions. --- :lol:Have you ever gone as Steffi for Halloween?
Honest question.

Sam L
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Have you ever gone as Steffi for Halloween?
Honest question.

:hysteric:

You know he has. :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
They hate Americans (except for Andre Agassi) and Martina played for the U.S. End of

LDVTennis
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
Honest question.

Serena lost in the 1st round. --- :haha:

Renalicious
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
The French have always disliked cocky players.

Examples: Serena, Sharapova (probably not so much now), Azarenka (2009), Navratilova, etc...

Stamp Paid
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
Serena lost in the 1st round. --- :haha:
I'll take that as a yes. :lol:

Nicolás89
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:53 AM
Honest question.

:hah: