PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros R3: Sloane Stephens (USA) d. Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 63 62

iPatty
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Awesome Sloane! :worship: As I predicted if she was swinging freely she would have absolutely no trouble with someone as one-dimensional as Johansson. Sloane really can do it all. Has easy power, a heavy forehand, good athleticism and movement, and nice hands. If she can put it all together she's going to be one hell of a player.

All we can ask is that she tries her best against Stosur. Nothing to lose. :hug:

Bremen
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
I really like this girl and I think she has a lot of potential. Finally I have another American player worth cheering for! And one that is so calm and collected on the court and has no annoying habits that I can see.

LadyB
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
serves you right for taking out petra :ras:

Well done Sloan

Tennis_News
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Very happy for Sloane! :)

Vaidisova
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Nice showing so far from Sloane

SVK
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
A so called pusher made 26 winners and 31 UEs. Must have been a horrible pushing.

mila_mail
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM
what will sloane's ranking be after getting into the forth round?

duhcity
If Sloane improves her shot selection and footwork, she'll enter the next tier. Impressive, and composed too

Sammo
I wanted Mathilde to win so badly...

But anyway, congratulations Sloane, I'm impressed, this girl's got future.

olivero
This girl has game. She'll probably lose easily to Sam but GS QF for her is just a matter of time I think.

pancake
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hope she can improve her backhand and 2nd serve, way too vulnerable.
26 winners :drool:.

But yeah, probably will lose easily to Stosur, hope she can play decent at least.

Morrissey
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Awesome Sloane! Venus and Serena are probably very proud of Sloane's success on the red clay! Sloane has a good first serve and a huge forehand she also moves very well on the clay! Good job! Wonderful to see a young black female tennis player do so well at the French Open!

Tenis Srbija
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Mathilde :sobbing:
Nevertheless great run :yeah:

M.S.F
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
I really liked watching Sloane.
Strong game and confident.

Third round at a slam is enough for Johansson.

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Amazing tournament Slo'!!! :woohoo: :bowdown: :woohoo:

Now I'm beginning to take you seriously! :spit:

Bijoux0021
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
All we can ask is that she tries her best against Stosur. Nothing to lose. :hug:
Last year at the US Open, Sloane kept on hitting to Ivanovics' biggest strength, which is the forehand. It seemed like she and her coach had never heard of that girl before, let alone seen her played. They should have known better than that. If she does the same thing against Stosur's forehand, she'll be lucky if she wins 4 games.

miffedmax
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Sloane wins this battle of the Reservists!

Well done. :worship:

iPatty
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
what will sloane's ranking be after getting into the forth round?

Currently she sits right at #50. But a couple of players could still pass her depending on results today and tomorrow so we'll wait a bit before officially welcoming her into the Top50. ;)

Ciarán
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
I love this girl. Hope she does well for the rest of the tournament!

Ivanovic2008
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Sloane :cheer:
Great match today!

Hashim.
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
This girl is good. I had no idea.:eek:

Beat
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM
sloane in R4 of roland garros!?! who'd have thought? :eek: congratulations!

bjurra
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM
I really like this girl and I think she has a lot of potential. Finally I have another American player worth cheering for! And one that is so calm and collected on the court and has no annoying habits that I can see.

She is playing great tennis this week so she has had no reason to be anything but collected. Wait until things don't go her way...:)

LUXXXAS
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Sloane has a beautiful clay court game!!! :yeah:
This girl has a BIG future! :rocker2:

Morrissey
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
She is playing great tennis this week so she has had no reason to be anything but collected. Wait until things don't go her way...:)

Sloane also reached the semifinals of Strasbourg last week beating Kirlenko.

2Black
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sloane is getting betta & betta... Let's go sista!

JN
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Sloane Stephens, takin' up the slack. Love this girl! Come on, let's go! http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/Hanners10/yes-1.gif

njnetswill
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sloane :yeah: If only she could play this way consistently throughout the season.

If she does play Sam next round, Sloane needs to use her forehand to attack Stosur's backhand. She can also use her finesse to mess with Stosur's timing and hopefully get Sam to shank a few balls.

*Jean*
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
I really love Sloane. In addition to her natural beauty, her game is naturally beautiful to watch, very classy. Nice attitude as well. Keep going!

LightsOut!
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mathilde :sad:
Congrats Sloane :)

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Wow. Did not expect her to reach the 4R, even against Matildhe. Seems like she is rounding into form nicely.

Sammo
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:15 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1447817_o.gif

**** this ****

Grigorpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Congratulations Sloane!

duhcity
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ugh she is SO sweet on ESPN right now, very charming. Way better than Davis or McHale who are so stoic.

njnetswill
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
:hearts: Loving her interview in the ESPN studio. Very natural and likeable.

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Someone post the interview plz.

Sexysova
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
Sloane has a very good game, I saw her for the first time and I was impressed, keep going and do your best against Samantha :yeah:

DefyingGravity
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sloane is the real deal. She's actually probably better on red clay than most other surfaces because it suits her style of movement and athleticism.

Imagine Christina and Sloane, the future of American tennis, and they're actually pretty damn good on red clay.

Pebbles
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Really liked what I saw from Sloane. Saw her play for the first time vs Pennetta in Rome and assumed she played that style all the time. Nice run for Johansson, think she has potential but her looks are being way over-hyped on here.

2moretogo
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
The key to Sloane's success is staying focused and positive. She's not beating herself up as much after every point or game. She still struggles with nerves, but the way she held on during the 3-1 game in the first and fought for the break for 4-1 showed mental growth. ROS is going to be tested with whomever she plays next.

Temperenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sloane :cheer:

Such an awesome result. I'm so happy for her. :sobbing:

Good luck agisnt Stosur/Petrova! Nothing to lose. :)

tennisrules
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Keep going Sloane:bounce: I am so happy she won.:D

Excelscior
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Congrats to Sloane. She looked great.

Stevens served well, hit off both wings, moved, had touch, and appeared calm and patient through out the match.

What a great performance for such a young player on Centre Court at a Slam (she says she likes clay :shrug: ). Bravo!

Unfortunately, I think she was playing a overmatched opponent, that may of made certain facets of Steven's game appear better than what they are (though I know she said she and her coach were working on discipline).

We'll see? But what a great performance and achievement for Sloane. You go girl!

Congrats again!

Bonfire
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:47 PM
congrats Sloane!:bounce:

Ntosake
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Congrats Sloane! Keep going!

BlueTrees
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Mathilde :crying2:

Sloane :yeah: What a great couple of weeks she's having. Really breaking through now :)

Berlin_Calling
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Loving this tournament! Well deserved, Sloane!!! :worship:

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Yes, Sloane! Yes! :cheer: Good luck in the next round.

Mathilde :hug:

Beat
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Stevens served well, hit off both wings, moved, had touch, and appeared calm and patient through out the match.

please don't ever make this typo again - it just looks way to close to stevenson. :sobbing: ;)

Derek.
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Well done, Sloane! :D

4R is an amazing result for her. :worship:

Gestalt222
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
A beautiful game to watch! With a combination of touch and power, she reminded me of Henin. Good for the game if she can continue to improve.

serenaforever
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Yas Sloane. Keep it going.

simonsaystennis
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM
:lol: At the idiots a couple weeks ago who called Sloane a "Pusher"

Excelscior
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
please don't ever make this typo again - it just looks way to close to stevenson. :sobbing: ;)

Why?

You were a big fan of Alexandra (forgot her full name and spelling), and she disappointed you with her brief, near meteoric tennis arrival and disappearance? :lol:

iPatty
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Why?

You were a big fan of Alexandra (forgot her full name and spelling), and she disappointed you with her brief, near meteoric tennis arrival and disappearance? :lol:

Probably because she (and her mother) were, are, and will forever be an embarrassment to professional sports.

bjurra
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
I remember watching Stephens getting thrashed by Baltacha last year at RG and thinking "is she supposed to be the real thing?"

Incredible improvement in one year.

shoparound
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Pretty good defense by sloane wow!

Drake1980
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
It's not surprising she beat Mathilde but surprising she's in GS 4th Round so soon! :eek:

Libertango
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Great news :bounce:

Well done Sloane!

Ryan
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM
Sloane is awesome, really happy to see her doing so well here. Her interview was great - she's modest, funny, and comes across as very mature for being so young. Hope she keeps it up this summer.

Inger67
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Amazing Sloane! And :spit: @ people calling you a pusher

Pump-it-UP
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
They're replaying this on Tennis Channel right now if anyone cares.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Well done Sloane :bounce: I'm watching the match on TTC atm. She's playing very well!

edificio
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone have video? I have no TTC. :(

MaSharp
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats Sloane, Love you. You'll be the best!

cehowardrx7
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Awesome Sloane! Venus and Serena are probably very proud of Sloane's success on the red clay! Sloane has a good first serve and a huge forehand she also moves very well on the clay! Good job! Wonderful to see a young black female tennis player do so well at the French Open!

+1

It would be awesome for Serena and Venus to take Sloane under their wing. Just think how super EXTRA awesome(they are already awesome) Serena and Venus would been if a super champion had took them under their wing when they were teenagers..

Congrats to Sloane, big time!! :worship:

Trickle
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:00 AM
So happy for Sloane but :sobbing: at Petra's missed opportunity. Mathilde has something over her that I don't understand. She plays like cow maneur against everyone else but Petra.