PDA

View Full Version : How did these players' nicknames come about?

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
I'm sort of new to this forum but I've been seeing various nicknames for different players being used quite often in GM, can anyone explain how each nick was derived?

Serena - Sarin
Sharapova - Martha
Radwanska - Agatha/Hagatha
Venus - Vinas
Jankovic - Empress
Ivanovic - VIP/Anita?
Clijsters - Madusah (Medusa?)

Tennis_News
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
I believe the Clijsters/Medusa thing came from Oracene Price's twitter when she referred to Kim as a Medusa.

gc-spurs
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
I believe the Clijsters/Medusa thing came from Oracene Price's twitter when she referred to Kim as a Medusa.

I believe VIP was from that crazy/annoying Anci Stan going on about how former GS champs should be respected with 'VIP' instead of 'Wild Card'.

Gilas.
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
VIP (Very Important Person)came from a time when Ivanovic drop down to the low 50s in the rankings and needed WCs from premiers to get in directly. And of course TF hated her for it :lol:

vozas
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm sort of new to this forum but I've been seeing various nicknames for different players being used quite often in GM, can anyone explain how each nick was derived?

Serena - Sarin
Sharapova - Martha
Venus - Vinas
Jankovic - Empress
Ivanovic - VIP/Anita?

We started calling Jankovi Empress I believe because of how good she used to be in Rome.

Sharapova-Martha I never really understood :shrug:

Sarin would be to Serena the same as Vinas is to Venus I guess; just a way of saying the name.

I'll take this opportunity to ask why people call Clijsters Saint Sin? I LOVE IT and always laugh so hard when someone calls her that :spit:

NA-GOAT
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
can someone explain who gave Aga the nickname Vulture :oh:

duhcity
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM

Because of Serena, who has vultured her way to 5 undeserved Miami titles :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
We started calling Jankovi Empress I believe because of how good she used to be in Rome.

Sarin would be to Serena the same as Vinas is to Venus I guess; just a way of saying the name.

I'll take this opportunity to ask why people call Clijsters Saint Sin? I LOVE IT and always laugh so hard when someone calls her that :spit:

1 > And 'cause she is the Empress and all others are pure peasants :lol:
2 > I don't get Martha either :scratch:
3 > Sarin is a deadly chemical weapon ;)
4 > Saint Sin? :rolls:

Cosmic Voices
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM
I always use Masha instead of Martha
Agatha is self explanatory (though I find Vulture more appropriate this year)
Venus - because people can't spell her damn name right
and sarin...i always think of Marat :hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

flareon
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
I always thought it was saint kim after she donated her prize money in brisbane???

imjongh
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
where did Fransexa & Sextlana come from? pls~

Jimmie48
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
I always wondered if the "Sarin" one is meant to be friendly, given that it's a deadly chemical weapon :confused:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM

from twitter #queenvulture :oh:
not sure who started it though :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
Corswandt, (who else? :shrug:) coined the vulture nickname for Aga. No doubt he is quite proud of it too. :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM

From the fact that they are "sexy" :shrug:

Level55
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Corswandt, (who else? :shrug:) coined the vulture nickname for Aga. No doubt he is quite proud of it too. :lol:

Isn't it pretty sad that people on here are proud of the fact they insult players when those players are living a much better life/ couldn't care less about them :lol:

Need to get out more comes to mind.

Beat
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM
anita for ivanovic? never heard that, but i love it.

missvarsha
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Isn't it pretty sad that people on here are proud of the fact they insult players when those players are living a much better life/ couldn't care less about them :lol:

Need to get out more comes to mind.

Not any sadder than people who try and feel superior to other people who are expressing their opinions and being silly and have fun on a forum specially designed for them to express their opinions and be silly and have fun.

Level55
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Not any sadder than people who try and feel superior to other people who are expressing their opinions and being silly and have fun on a forum specially designed for them to express their opinions and be silly and have fun.

I was joking actually. I don't mind people having fun, I use some of these nicknames too. Nothing wrong with gently poking fun at fellow posters once in while, if they dish it out ;)

But some people on here do go too far sometimes :lol:

Cajka
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM
Didn't JJ's nick come from Serbian stans. I know that Ana's fans in Serbia always called her "Carica" (The Empress), but it was used for mocking. And Serbian JJ's fans call Ana "Palčica" (Thumbelina). :sobbing:

Excelscior
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
It's funny/cute, seeing where some these names come from. Many are of such innocent origin.

Some, not so much. :lol: :tape: :lol:

Corswandt
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM

Serena - Sarin
Sharapova - Martha
Venus - Vinas
Jankovic - Empress
Ivanovic - VIP/Anita?

Sarin, Martha, Vinas - all © Serenidad.

Agatha - © Desuetude IIRC.

Hagatha (on account of her looking like a toothless old hag) - © Viktymise.

VIP - http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=414791

Madusah - from a tweet by Oracene Price saying something to the effect of Clijsters being really scary because she had "the Medusa stare".

Synth
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Where did Ludmilla come from?

domon17th
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Martha once came alive before our very eyes during one of those SE promo videos during the Wimbledon 2011 stretch :sobbing: She even evolved into Grandmartha (Courtesy of Teerin)

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM

He should be since the term Queen Vulture is widely used and accepted in Tennis community :cheer:

Such a lovely term! Praise Corswandt and you can stay irate

Corswandt
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Where did Ludmilla come from?

© missvarsha

MaBaker
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM

Serena - Sarin
Sharapova - Martha
Venus - Vinas
Jankovic - Empress
Ivanovic - VIP/Anita?
In Serbia, kids and teenagers use the word carica (Serbian for empress) for people they think they are cool and they admire, so one day in JJ forum, дalex was translating some comments about Jelena from some Serbian site. So he translated that word too and we started to use it sarcastically and to make fun of her, but other people started using it too and well, the rest is history.

VeeJJ
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
VIP was given to Ana by the Rogers cup in 09? And we stole it from them.

дalex
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
In Serbia, kids and teenagers use the word carica (Serbian for empress) for people they think they are cool and they admire, so one day in JJ forum, дalex was translating some comments about Jelena from some Serbian site. So he translated that word too and we started to use it sarcastically and to make fun of her, but other people started using it too and well, the rest is history.

My biggest TF achievement, apart from some of the gifs in Jelena! thread. :sobbing:

Made The Empress gif too. http://i53.tinypic.com/21mrg20.jpg

Maddox
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:01 PM
:haha: I love Empress, awesome name for Jankovic especially now that she's flopping

missvarsha
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM
© missvarsha

It's also easily moddable, as Flakemilla, Tankmilla, Goatmilla, and Godmilla are all accepted variations :devil:

Let.them.talk
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Interesting thread :)

but still we don't know where Martha comes from xD

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM

Because of their undeniable sexiness :drool::hearts:

Jane Lane
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ludmilla seriously makes no sense, can someone explain? :rolls:

Stamp Paid
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM
What does Vuvurenka come from?

Charlatan
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
What does Vuvurenka come from?

her shrieks sound like vuvuzela...renka from 'azarenka' and vuvu from 'vuvuzela', so vuvurenka :shrug:

that's not made by me in the first place, though

Craig.
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
I'm sure Martha had something to do with Martha Stewart. Or am I just making shit up?

ivanban
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
VIP (Very Important Person)came from a time when Ivanovic drop down to the low 50s in the rankings and needed WCs from premiers to get in directly. And of course TF hated her for it :lol:

I thought VIP is for Very Irrelevant Player :confused:

I always understood it as Martha being more granny-like version name of Maria :spit:

Most Hilare nick for Kim to me is Kimothy :hysteric: I don't know why :sobbing:

Didn't JJ's nick come from Serbian stans. I know that Ana's fans in Serbia always called her "Carica" (The Empress), but it was used for mocking. And Serbian JJ's fans call Ana "Palčica" (Thumbelina). :sobbing:

Never heard for that :tape: Mostly I hear people in Serbia call her Anci or Princeza (Princess, especially media)

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
I believe that the nickname Martha came from Teerin at the Siberian Siren subforum :scratch:. It all started from a photoshoot that Masha made, photos on which she looked like a granny :tape:.

Tenis Srbija
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM

It sure is :happy:

Vuvurenka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Sarin, Martha, Vinas - all © Serenidad.

Agatha - © Desuetude IIRC.

Hagatha (on account of her looking like a toothless old hag) - © Viktymise.

VIP - http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=414791

Madusah - from a tweet by Oracene Price saying something to the effect of Clijsters being really scary because she had "the Medusa stare".

Who is Serenidad? :confused:

Cajka
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Never heard for that :tape: Mostly I hear people in Serbia call her Anci or Princeza (Princess, especially media)

She had a thumb injury in 2008 when she missed Olympics, that's how she got the nick. Palčica. :sad: OTOH, Zvonareva is Zvončica. :spit:

Hurley
Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Who is Serenidad? :confused:

Every new poster who isn't tea.

*JR*
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
This is the real Medusa, but of course I have a whole bunch of alliterated ones for her.

http://images.teamtalk.com/08/06/800x600/Patty-Schnyder-French-Open-2008-rd-4-hair_915525.jpg