PDA

View Full Version : Really enjoying the ITV coverage this year!!!

StephenUK
May 31st, 2012, 09:28 AM
When it was announced that ITV would be covering Roland Garros, I was a bit dubious and when it was further announced that it would be fronted by John Inverdale I was dreading it even more.

But it's been a nice surprise - way more hours per day than I was expecting, stellar support commentating and guest appearances by Jim Courier, Fabrice Santoro and Amelie Mauresmo and even John Inverdale is much better than he is on those Wimbledon highlights programmes, it seems like he has actually a bit more interested in the tennis than just making stupid remarks..although I am sure he is relieved Petra Cetkovska lost, because he really struggled badly with her name!

Igor_Biscan
May 31st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah it's been generally good. Courier and Amelie are keen and enthusiastic, Santoro is quite good even though he often sounds sleepy. Much better than the BBC's Wimbledon coverage which is smugness overload.

Joe.
May 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
I hate John Inverdale :mad:

Queenpova
May 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Countries forum.

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
they need red button
backwards station

tennisboi
May 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM

THIS:o I can't stand the guy

davidmario
May 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
any live stream by any chance?

dexter87
May 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM

+1

He's been covering tennis for God knows how many years, yet he still refers to matches as games. Forgivable for somebody who isn't interested in tennis, but a so called professional sports broadcaster with years of experience? :o

Wintermute
May 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM
He's been covering tennis for God knows how many years, yet he still refers to matches as games.

Yes! This winds me right up.

Plus his pronunciation of players' names is appalling. Although he's not the only culprit. Greg Rusedski is probably the worst. And I can't understand why Mats Wilander can't pronounce the 'w' in Radwanska properly.

But aside from Inverdale I think ITV's coverage has been pretty good. Less shambolic than Eurosport and they've got some good commentators including Sam Smith.

Pebbles
May 31st, 2012, 06:13 PM
it's been pretty good, the only downside is of course, the John Inverdale. I just don't get it. I mean, how does he keep getting picked to present coverage of a sport he knows next to nothing about? I hope this means he won't be part of BBC's Wimbledon coverage now ITV have taken him under their wing :o

laurie
May 31st, 2012, 10:22 PM
I am pleasantly surprised as well. In fact, on Sunday they showed Tsonga's match on ITV 1! BBC 1 would never show French Open match on the 1st day. JiM Courier does an absolute excellent job as a commentator. Amelie Mauresmo always speaks really well even in her 2nd language.

I also usually can't stand John Inverdale but he seems to be doing a really good job. I am very surprised that I find myself saying this :lol:

Maza1987
May 31st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Petchey and Courrier are the best tennis combo about at the moment.

FleetSeb
May 31st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Can you watch it live on itvPlayer? Does itv player even have a live function?

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM
They need red button. John is way more tolerable than at Wimbledon. Although have you not noticed the constant, mindless babble during rallies? Also is Amelie there every day?

Mary Cherry.
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:14 AM
At least there's no Barry Cowan.

The Dawntreader
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM
Haven't watched a shred of coverage on ITV tbh. John Inverdale is such a constant disincentive :sobbing:

PetraReeMona
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:32 AM

That is the godsend :worship::worship:

Thank the Lord for that!!! All we'd be hearing is"Federer this, Federer that, oh yes, Federer can win all 4 slams this year" blah, blah, blah :zzz:

Maria rocks
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:49 AM

I was so annoyed he refused to show the Heather Watson match live last night. Bang out of order that was.

Maria rocks
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM

Ha ha ha every cloud!!!

Maria rocks
Jun 1st, 2012, 08:52 AM
If John Inverdale says Julia Gorgeous one more time im gonna scream.

SoBizarre
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:38 AM
any live stream by any chance?

There is a stream on ITV site, but it's quite low quality. If you are on Windows, you can access it with the help of ExpatShield (http://www.expatshield.com/) (you can also watch BBC's live TV with it).

Just remember to uncheck the toolbar installation and then click on the left "Custom Installation" button (NOT the big "Install" button). When started, there is an icon in the tray - right click it, and uncheck "Show on restart".

Every time you start it, new window/tab is opened, showing app status - you can close it after it goes "connected", and then continue to use your browser as usual. I strongly suggest using Firefox with AdBlock, because without it ExpatShield displays lots of ads and pop-ups.

Simugna Help
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:46 AM
But aside from Inverdale I think ITV's coverage has been pretty good. Less shambolic than Eurosport and they've got some good commentators including Sam Smith.
Sam Smith isn't covering RG on Eurosport because she went to ITV for those two weeks? Good riddance. I hate her descriptions of players changing rapidly as the match goes by.

sammy01
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
it has been ok, but john inverdale is so rude. i mean he just pokes fun and bashes players left and right, and when you are the host of a sports broadcast it is plain stupid.

i mean he has already basically dismissed safina this morning. been taking shots at gilles simon, been really annoying putting down players who take a beating.

Pebbles
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Did anyone catch his comments about Ana when she lost? something about in the blink of an eye, someone very easy on the eyes is out of the tournament. Poetic, really.

Maria rocks
Jun 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Did anyone catch his comments about Ana when she lost? something about in the blink of an eye, someone very easy on the eyes is out of the tournament. Poetic, really.

Yeah and he got Nadia Petrova's name wrong and said Sam Stosur is a serious tennis player really sarcy. grrrr he is so annoying.

laurie
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Well, after two weeks I've come to the conclusion and revised my initial thoughts - John Inverdale is as annoying and irritating as he is on the BBC :fiery:

jonny84
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I have actually been impressed with the ITV coverage - I had bad visions that they would put adverts on when its match-point and had "Celebrities" in it, but, its been great!

Vintage101
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Not impressed. John Inverdale is just a miserable old git. Amelie is insecure in her English, she keeps asking the other lady whether what she said made any sense, like all the time. :lol:

Monica_Rules
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Overall itsa been good. The major downfall as ever John Inverdale. How has this guy got a job on any TV station? he's awful he actually read out a few results completly wrong like the Schiavone loss:help:

Courier needs to learn to be quiet during a rally though. Seems to be a trait of all american commentators

PetraReeMona
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Overall itsa been good. The major downfall as ever John Inverdale. How has this guy got a job on any TV station? he's awful he actually read out a few results completly wrong like the Schiavone loss:help:

Courier needs to learn to be quiet during a rally though. Seems to be a trait of all american commentators

^^ I was going to say exactly the same.

During the men's matches today Jim Courier never shut up for one moment and it was really hard to concentrate - just STFU for Christ sake.

As for John Inverdale... well, I really feel like I want to write to ITV4 and complain about his unprofessionalism, plus what the hell does tennis have to do with Football :scratch: He keeps talking about football, when he is supposed to be presenting a tennis programme :help:

I must admit, I have watched it more than I have watched Eurosport this year.

laurie
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Who's worse? John Inverdale or Adrian Chiles? Both as bad as eachother and both continue to get big contracts on BBC and ITV :fiery:

Dave.
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Despite John Inverdale (who is the worst), ITV's coverage has been miles better than what we used to get on BBCi. All the former players they managed to get (Mauresmo, Santoro, Courier, Sam Smith, Mark Petchey, they even managed to get Davenport) have been knowledgable and fair, and have generally been above Inverdale's attempts to make digs at the women's game.

Also they've actually shown the entire days worth of play instead of cutting off when the main matches end (shown both doubles finals so far!). I also like that they actually paid for a studio unlike BBC who did everything from the commentary box.

The best thing for me though has been Mauresmo's commentary.

watchdogfish
Jun 9th, 2012, 12:00 AM
At least John Inverdale seems to have avoided saying player names he can't pronounce, unlike a few years ago when he would just make them up :o He still makes little snidey comments though :o

laurie
Jun 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I agree, besides Inverdale, the coverage has been very good. I like Courier and Mauresmo and always like Sam Smith.

Thank goodness they didn't bring Tim Henman or Greg Rusedski in either, for sure.

laurie
Jun 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM
At least John Inverdale seems to have avoided saying player names he can't pronounce, unlike a few years ago when he would just make them up :o He still makes little snidey comments though :o

You clearly missed him attempting to pronounce Julia Georges :tape:

jameshazza
Jun 9th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Inverdale needs to go. Sam Smith needs to front a major tennis broadcast before they pick her for Wimbledon after Sue finally retires. It's her time. Also will MoMo be commentating on the Final tomorrow, yet to hear her call a match.