PDA

View Full Version : How much less fun would tennis be for you without TF?

Jimmie48
May 31st, 2012, 12:44 AM
Honest question that just popped into my head: Since this forum is run as a business and the possibility could never be ruled out, how much of an impact would it have on your enthusiasm for tennis if it would, for some reason, close tomorrow?

I have to say that it would rob a good part of the fun for me, ever since I joined this forum I watch a lot more matches and tend to get more involved with everything.

This forum has some of the most annoying & vile people I`ve ever met on the net but still, there's enough of nice and funny people around to add value to the daily tennis experience for me. I would still watch tennis without it of course but without having anybody to talk to about it (none of my friends or family care in any shape or form for tennis), I would for sure spend a lot less time with it.

I guess one could assume that another forum would fill the void but I`ve seen big forums of other topics go down, leaving the community scattered and it was never the same again.

let's hear your thoughts :)

donellcarey
May 31st, 2012, 12:46 AM
15%? I dunno. The question is so abstract, I'm not good at sorting abstract stuff:lol:

Craig.
May 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM
I pretty much agree with your whole post. Especially what you said about your family and friends not caring about tennis in any way. My friends make fun of me sometimes when they realize how much time I spend on here :lol:

Before TF, I only ever REALLY followed the Grand Slams and checked up on Maria's results from time to time. So I guess by joining TF, my love for tennis in general grew as well.

Kworb
May 31st, 2012, 12:52 AM
A lot less fun. If nothing decent would pop up to replace it, I'd probably end up starting my own tennis forum.

Cosmic Voices
May 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I would die a thousand deaths without tf
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhexpfrcXJ1qdlkgg.gif

Stonerpova
May 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM
Not a lot of my friends watch tennis, so it's nice to have a place to discuss the matches I watch. If TF closed I'd still be completely obsessed with tennis, but I'd miss having that outlet to talk about it.

Plus, were it not for TF I would have never been introduced to the spectacular deity that is the Empress. She'd still be Jankovic. And facepalm-worthy would never have become a part of my daily vocabulary :o

antonella
May 31st, 2012, 01:05 AM
Enthusiasm and a lack of sleep can be dangerous.

Charlatan
May 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Nice thread! You took the words out of my mouth! :lol:

It'd be less fun without TF

VIK!
May 31st, 2012, 01:18 AM
It would definitely means more sleep for me..:lol:
but a lot less fun(+knowledge) following the wta

I have to say that it would rob a good part of the fun for me, ever since I joined this forum I watch a lot more matches and tend to get more involved with everything. ^ :yeah:

And i would miss all the funny and hot pics of all the beautyful women..;)

Irute
May 31st, 2012, 01:26 AM
Depends what one calls fun? If it was only banter then would be fun. I could do without the verbal abuse toward players and other posters. It takes a while to find some gems here. There is more of it outside of GM. It is definitely great to keep up to date.

Btw. this topic belongs among the good ones :yeah:

debby
May 31st, 2012, 01:40 AM
Yes I totally agree ! :lol:

My love for tennis grew a loooot when I first arrived on TF (in 2006 then I registered and overcame my shyness :oh: and now 15k posts :facepalm: ), it allowed me to follow pretty much all tournaments, to know much more about other players, it sparkled any interest about journeywomen.... I was able to keep up on drama, and stuff...
And fans of course ! My brothers are into rugby, my parents dislike tennis, and the few friends I had hate tennis. :lol: They make fun of me a lot though. They love to troll me. But then they were not interested so their troll only lasted a few hours (2006 Wimbledon final rofl).

Soooo TF got very veryyy entertaining from that point of view. :lol: I was able to analyse tennis, to learn infos, but there are sites about it. The biggest difference is that I can laugh, argue, rejoice or be bitter with fellow tennis fans. I didn't feel alone nor stupid anymore for caring about a mere tennis match.

Look, my fave retired, but I keep coming here because despite all sad haters we can meet here, it's a fantastic place where I met great people and where I can still chill out about my favourite sport.
When I stopped coming here for months this year, I stopped following tennis at all. Once I came back, bam, back to Tennis land.

Last thing, I won't thank my english teachers for my level of english. Thank you TF and everyone out here. :lol: (and that helped me to pass my exams as I scored a great grade in english which saved them :hysteric:)

CloudAtlas
May 31st, 2012, 01:46 AM
This place can be fun but the worst quality about it is that it kills any form of objectivity in people. I only joined in 2008 and I have to say prior to that, watching tennis was far more entertaining (even if I didn't have a female favourite back then). I could enjoy tennis and not get too involved in wanting other players to lose or worry about people's opinions when my own fav, Nadal, lost. However on here the frequent arguments and gif wars and the trolls and certain unmentionables who seem to take their disdain too far really can put you off a certain player who they stan for, even if you try hard not to let it affect you. That's simply because that prior objectivity you held for a player has been destroyed because some peeps have annoyed you to the extent where you want to see their fav lose so you have something to bash them with. :lol: You see it all the time here, when a player loses, some people automatically start taking shots at that players' fanbase, and there's very few people on here who don't get involved in these things.

So all in all this place is definitely entertaining, but in the long run it makes watching tennis much less 'fun' due to the lost objectivity as it just leaves you wanting results to piss people off and flame them with a lot of the time rather than for your own personal objective enjoyment :wavey:

hurricanejeanne
May 31st, 2012, 02:08 AM
I pretty much agree with your whole post. Especially what you said about your family and friends not caring about tennis in any way. My friends make fun of me sometimes when they realize how much time I spend on here :lol:

Before TF, I only ever REALLY followed the Grand Slams and checked up on Maria's results from time to time. So I guess by joining TF, my love for tennis in general grew as well.

This.
Not only is the site entertaining even if it can be sometimes over dramatically chaotic, emotional, and occasionally retarded its a means for conversing with other fans and a great place to get information on players.

My love for this sport grew once I started lurking/joined because my knowledge of the sport's ins and outs grew. The players were no longer stats on the tour site and people on tv, they were actually people which allowed me to not only continue my fandom of one player, but also be exposed to younger, up and coming players one of which has become my current favorite.

Albireo
May 31st, 2012, 02:11 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of TennisForum, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my minivan... and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a PM on the forum, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know--as much as this forum is full of nasty backstabbing people who I wouldn't want to meet in real life, it has many bits of information that I couldn't find back in the days before we could create fire, and many pleasing pictures of sweaty women in short skirts. Think of the time before this 'Internet!' Try finding the scores for a challenger tournament in your local paper, or waiting for your favorite player to show at the U.S. Open only to find that she broke her ankle at Newport and is done for the season! Try cooking popcorn on a hot rock! Try following a herd of mastodons with with a pebble in your Doc Martens! Thank you.

Doully
May 31st, 2012, 02:18 AM
I'm in the same boat as those that have mentioned none of their family or friends really take any interest in tennis. Scotland is such a football(soccer) country and I can't stand it. Maybe I'd be better off if I were a Murray fan? :o But I really do prefer WTA so much more.

So yeah. TF is a great way of keeping up to date with tennis and for discussing current tournies/venting etc. Things I couldn't do with friends. I also use TF exclusively for looking up results. Not really sure why. Only joined in 2010 and I can say with confidence that I'm so much more knowledgeable of the Sport as a result of some of the various threads that have been posted on GM.

I also have no issues with some of the more... unusual posters on TF. It makes for some interesting reading. I have to say that my vocabulary has expanded quite significantly and some of the GIFS in result threads give me so much life. (An example of my new vocabulary :sobbing:)
The inner queen in me thrives off of GM sometimes :hysteric:

I'm still pretty young. Hopefully I will be able to snag some good tennis fans for friends over the years and then maybe I'd spend a little less time on TF. Still. It's nice to know TF is there for all your needs. I swear my friends must have thought I was crazy last week for showing up for drinks in a downer after the Rome F (Li Na fan) :sobbing:. TF would understand.

The Dawntreader
May 31st, 2012, 02:25 AM
You'd never hate on any player without the assistance of TF. This is the crux of it all.

Craig.
May 31st, 2012, 02:26 AM
You'd never hate on any player without the assistance of TF. This is the crux of it all.

And this :lol:

slydevil6142
May 31st, 2012, 02:35 AM
I have been a member since 2002 and while i don't post as often as some on here i enjoy the shared love of tennis. Yea i see some absolutely crazy posts and nonsense for the most part this site keeps me hip to up and comers i would know nothing about. The most irritating part of the site is newer members trying to convince me that the new generation is somehow comparable to the old ha...

Sent from my LG-E739 using VerticalSports.Com App

Shonami Slam
May 31st, 2012, 02:57 AM
my signature is a whiny bitching of lameness. i am a humble doochebag without tf.

HawkAussie
May 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM
I actually enjoyed tennis more when I join this forum and would be less fun if this closed tomorrow. Have a look at Stick Sports

Libertango
May 31st, 2012, 07:49 AM
This place can be really great or fucking terrible.

It's great for news, (harmless) gossip, occassionally witty banter etc. but often degenerates into a bloody circus alot of the time. The worse thing is, is that on here, you have to take into account other people's reactions to thngs. If I wasn't on here I wouldn't still be thinking about the Serena loss, for example. But on here, things just go on and on, get blown out of all proportion, get personal, overly dramatic and often, really quite spiteful. I'm deliberately avoideing all Serens/Maria threads for this very reason because some posters really are just nuts and rather unpleasant. They ruin it for me. What alot of people don't seem to realise is that, even though they may say it's all just a laugh, it's just the internet etc. etc. it is THEY who take the fun out of it all by taking things so far and so seriously. Often, the "fans" (of players) are just as bad as the "haters". It ruins the objectivity for me when I watch tennis, because (and I admit I'm guilty of this) you start to take a dislike to a player BECAUSE OF their "fans". And that's a shame. That's when I take a little break from here, just to return to sanity :tape:

... all that being said, I just can't quit this place :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: I successfully weaned myself off about three years ago, and literally only visited, say once a week. Now I'm back to being on everyday, and am just far more selective about what I post and read. I just love tennis too much and like to get involved more than just watching on TV and discussing with my brother, who is a far more casual fan.

So yes; weirdly, I would miss this place.

Petkorazzi
May 31st, 2012, 08:11 AM
I actually can't imagine tennis without TF. These two go together for me. :shrug:

marineblue
May 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
This place can be fun but the worst quality about it is that it kills any form of objectivity in people. I only joined in 2008 and I have to say prior to that, watching tennis was far more entertaining (even if I didn't have a female favourite back then). I could enjoy tennis and not get too involved in wanting other players to lose or worry about people's opinions when my own fav, Nadal, lost. However on here the frequent arguments and gif wars and the trolls and certain unmentionables who seem to take their disdain too far really can put you off a certain player who they stan for, even if you try hard not to let it affect you. That's simply because that prior objectivity you held for a player has been destroyed because some peeps have annoyed you to the extent where you want to see their fav lose so you have something to bash them with. :lol: You see it all the time here, when a player loses, some people automatically start taking shots at that players' fanbase, and there's very few people on here who don't get involved in these things.

So all in all this place is definitely entertaining, but in the long run it makes watching tennis much less 'fun' due to the lost objectivity as it just leaves you wanting results to piss people off and flame them with a lot of the time rather than for your own personal objective enjoyment :wavey:

Pretty much agree with all of this. The trolls spoil the fun and I found tennis more entertaining discussing it with intelligent people. On other forums where there are no trolls it's lot more entertaining. On TF there is a lot of information about what's going on and player forums which are fun.

LUVMIRZA
May 31st, 2012, 08:22 AM
This is the best place in the (cyber)world to live for Women's tennis fans:worship:

stromatolite
May 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Honest question that just popped into my head: Since this forum is run as a business and the possibility could never be ruled out, how much of an impact would it have on your enthusiasm for tennis if it would, for some reason, close tomorrow?

I have to say that it would rob a good part of the fun for me, ever since I joined this forum I watch a lot more matches and tend to get more involved with everything.

This forum has some of the most annoying & vile people I`ve ever met on the net but still, there's enough of nice and funny people around to add value to the daily tennis experience for me. I would still watch tennis without it of course but without having anybody to talk to about it (none of my friends or family care in any shape or form for tennis), I would for sure spend a lot less time with it.

I guess one could assume that another forum would fill the void but I`ve seen big forums of other topics go down, leaving the community scattered and it was never the same again.

This is the main reason I joined as well. It's so frustrating to watch a great match (or even a terrible match, or any match at all involving one of my faves) and have nobody to discuss it with.

For all it's faults really enjoy this forum, and would miss it badly if it was shut down. To some extent I even enjoy the fights. In my experience the bark of most posters is much worse than their bites, and often I find myself sharing jokes with the same people I was having a bitter feud with just a few weeks earlier.

tejmeglekvár
May 31st, 2012, 09:40 AM
I´m pretty sure WTA running this place, using us as brainless zombies.

SilverPersian
May 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
I think I would miss TF if it was closed down. It reminds me that I'm not the only one ridiculously obsessed with my fave, and it gives me lots of opportunities to voice my inane theories about how she's going to to. At first I mostly liked Sam's subforum, but increasingly I quite like giggling like an idiot at all of the gifs and flame wars in GM as well.

Edit: And NA-MUG. Always NA-MUG (Thankyou Coconut91).

Huntress55
May 31st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Although I find some of the threads in this place ridiculous I would miss it. None of my friends or family like tennis. A couple of my family members will watch a match if an aussie is playing but I could never discuss tennis with them. And yeah it reminds me Im not the only person who gets too excited or stressed over their faves winning or losing matches. :p

Coconut91
May 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Well, I could do without the inmature people who come here to attack players for free and ruin the atmosphere with endless exchanges of insults and silly gifs. But apart from that, TF is a great place to keep in touch with tennis and people who share your hobby. Since I lurk here (2006) my passion and my knowledge of the sport have increased greatly, thanks to certain posters who are really worth a read. ;)

And I love the inside jokes, the nicknames and silly threads like those of NA-MUG who make TF so much fun. :lol: I can't have those jokes in my "real" life, so it's nice having a place to share this with others.

chuvack
May 31st, 2012, 02:51 PM
This forum as well as others used to be a lot more fun before the corporates took it over. The discussions have become too sanitized. Some dipshit moderator disagrees with what you wrote or how you said it, and he just takes your comment down, you have no recourse in the matter. Many of the best posters who provided real content value to the community have already left the board.

If this site closed down tomorrow, in the overall scheme of things it wouldn't make any difference. The 15-year era of Internet message boards is coming to an end anyway.

$uricate
May 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM
I would cease to exist.

I love you all!

:hysteric:

Jimmie48
May 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
This forum as well as others used to be a lot more fun before the corporates took it over. The discussions have become too sanitized. Some dipshit moderator disagrees with what you wrote or how you said it, and he just takes your comment down, you have no recourse in the matter. Many of the best posters who provided real content value to the community have already left the board.

If this site closed down tomorrow, in the overall scheme of things it wouldn't make any difference. The 15-year era of Internet message boards is coming to an end anyway.

Honestly, this is by far the most liberal forum I`ve ever been part of. The stuff that people get away with here is amazing sometimes, that would give you instant permabans on other forums.

Even if people are banned here it's usually only temporary, I think death threats are the only thing earning you a permanent ban here. Strict moderation isn't really one of the issues here.

debby
May 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM

Don't think so.

TennisFan66
May 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
If TF closed tomorrow, there are enough similar types out there or a new Phoenix would rise.

$uricate
May 31st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Honestly, this is by far the most liberal forum I`ve ever been part of. The stuff that people get away with here is amazing sometimes, that would give you instant permabans on other forums.

Even if people are banned here it's usually only temporary, I think death threats are the only thing earning you a permanent ban here. Strict moderation isn't really one of the issues here.

I agree.

Other forums I am a member of are so polite. They are like the end-of-year tea party at a finishing school in Dorset.

I can't even be 25% as blunt as I am on here.

Thank you TennisForum :worship:

stromatolite
May 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
I would cease to exist.

I love you all!

:hysteric:

Best answer yet! :worship: :lol:

claypova
May 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM
TF gives tennis so much life :hearts:
it's the reason i became even more into tennis :lol:

stromatolite
May 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes threads get closed here when I think they could have been allowed to continue, but more often threads that are nothing but insults and abuse go on forever. I don't really mind, other than the fact that some potentially interesting threads are killed by idiots just slagging off at each other, and not even in an amusing way.

duhcity
May 31st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Much less fun. None of my friends or family really are invested in tennis, especially women's tennis. I'd live if MTF went down, enough people watch the Men's, but I struggle to find someone in real life who keeps up with the day-to-day WTA tour

Corswandt
May 31st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Not a lot of my friends watch tennis, so it's nice to have a place to discuss the matches I watch. If TF closed I'd still be completely obsessed with tennis, but I'd miss having that outlet to talk about it.

That's why I joined a discussion forum about tennis back in 2005 - because nobody I knew IRL was interested in it in any way. Nowadays not as much.

Sorta in my case. I remember watching tennis back in the stone age and already rabidly hating retrievers such as ASV. But it's indeed true that you'll find yourself hating players mostly on account of being exposed to the tardism of their stans in here.

Mary Cherry.
May 31st, 2012, 11:49 PM

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

I often watch matches or see match results and think "I'm gonna avoid GM like the plague..."

ranfurly
May 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
I like the BOTP forum and the archives that accumulated on here, I am always referring to them.

As far as the forum per se, no skin of my nose.

Too many tossers and not enough fans of the sport who like the game for what it is.

Corswandt
May 31st, 2012, 11:55 PM
w/r/t the death of message boards, which is a fait accompli elsewhere, I'm starting to think that, if TF was going to follow the same path as nearly all other such boards, that would have happened already.

If there's an actual threat of shutdown, the fans will take over and many will chip in to continue running it. It has happened at other boards.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2012, 11:55 PM
Twitter has definitely changed things though. I think in a few years time, many fans will be able to survive without TF.

Mynarco
May 31st, 2012, 11:56 PM

This.

and this :lol:

Corswandt
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Twitter has definitely changed things though.

Twitter sucks balls.

Stonerpova
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:30 AM
Twitter sucks balls.

:lol: I love it. And the match updates this fortnight are waaaay quicker than the actual live scores so it's nice to have.

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:42 AM
I couldn't have came across TF at a better time really, my sis and I followed all WTA, but we were both only mainly interested in Masha. Once she left for uni I had nobody to talk to about it apart from my friends very occasionally just to humour me. Don't get me wrong I despise some fan bases, and has led to more negative opinions of players. But I want to say a big thank you to all Masha fans in SS for their brilliant posts and support after victories and losses alike. Before it was just me after losses.

Also the forum has opened me up to a whole other level of drama in the WTA, commentators tend not to talk about the bitchy shade other players dish out. Yeah there are trolls that make you wanna kill someone but those bitches only make every victory sweeter. And seriously, you can just read through one results thread on here and get more laughs than watching ten comedies in a row. TF is such a big part of tennis for me now, after every match I have to come on here be it one of my fave's or not. This forum is an entity of its own, I think this forum is actually more dramatic than the WTA. I couldn't imagine tennis without TF now that I've been here, I think like Debby after Masha retires (may it be years away) I would probably still come here.

The Bitching, the gif wars, the stan wars, the trolling are all priceless. However, what I always wanted to do was have in depth conversations about tennis, and the occasional time that other posters do post insightful commentary I have to say I love it. So yeah, it would be a whole lot less fun without it, but obviously I'd still watch tennis.

Archer16
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM
It definitely wouldn't be as much fun without TF.
For instance, if we take THE result of the current RG so far, I couldn't care less what clueless journalists on Israeli media and around the world had to say about it, but couldn't wait to read the responses on GM :lol:
Twitter sucks balls.
I don't have an account and don't like it much, but that's kinda weird from someone who has it in his sig :confused:
(I do read your tweets occasionally btw)

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:56 AM
Anytime I'm on twitter which is only during tennis tournaments I can't see any bashing etc.
It isn't half as dramatic or entertaining as on here. I mean this isn't an overly long post and you can't fit half of what I typed on there. It works for lots of shit but I doubt it will take over tennis related discussion.

Albireo
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:37 AM
w/r/t the death of message boards, which is a fait accompli elsewhere, I'm starting to think that, if TF was going to follow the same path as nearly all other such boards, that would have happened already.

If there's an actual threat of shutdown, the fans will take over and many will chip in to continue running it. It has happened at other boards.

Actually, the admins used to shut this one down every so often back around 2003 or so, to keep the viciousness under control and get the trolls back in their kennels/under their bridges. It was an interesting time to be a n00b.

Albireo
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM
However, what I always wanted to do was have in depth conversations about tennis, and the occasional time that other posters do post insightful commentary I have to say I love it. So yeah, it would be a whole lot less fun without it, but obviously I'd still watch tennis.

A lot of the really good posters have either left, become part-timers, or evolved into snark machines as a result of the constant trolling and other fuckery. Even the good trolls seem to have moved on. On the other hand, a lot of the super-annoying trolls have given up or been permabanned, so it's not a total loss.

Still, one longs for the days when Joe Gerardi (an actual USTA coach) would post, or Volcana would start a topic with some heft to it, or Corswandt and JR would mix more serious and lengthy discussion into the snark stew.

Cosmic Voices
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:49 AM
I couldn't have came across TF at a better time really, my sis and I followed all WTA, but we were both only mainly interested in Masha. Once she left for uni I had nobody to talk to about it apart from my friends very occasionally just to humour me. Don't get me wrong I despise some fan bases, and has led to more negative opinions of players. But I want to say a big thank you to all Masha fans in SS for their brilliant posts and support after victories and losses alike. Before it was just me after losses.

Also the forum has opened me up to a whole other level of drama in the WTA, commentators tend not to talk about the bitchy shade other players dish out. Yeah there are trolls that make you wanna kill someone but those bitches only make every victory sweeter. And seriously, you can just read through one results thread on here and get more laughs than watching ten comedies in a row. TF is such a big part of tennis for me now, after every match I have to come on here be it one of my fave's or not. This forum is an entity of its own, I think this forum is actually more dramatic than the WTA. I couldn't imagine tennis without TF now that I've been here, I think like Debby after Masha retires (may it be years away) I would probably still come here.

The Bitching, the gif wars, the stan wars, the trolling are all priceless. However, what I always wanted to do was have in depth conversations about tennis, and the occasional time that other posters do post insightful commentary I have to say I love it. So yeah, it would be a whole lot less fun without it, but obviously I'd still watch tennis.

Excellent post. Couldn't agree with you more :yeah:

Viktymise
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:53 AM
I agree that TF is great to vent your opinions on the sport you love when there's nobody IRL who gives a damn. And even if nobody has the same viewpoint as you, everybody comes her for the same reason, and everybody already has one solid common ground with each other from the get-go.

I don't agree so much on the hate front though. I remember back when I started to follow tennis - late 90s, early 00s - it didn't take long for me to develop a lasting disdain for players I didn't like. Maybe I'm just a horrible person......

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:00 AM
A lot of the really good posters have either left, become part-timers, or evolved into snark machines as a result of the constant trolling and other fuckery. Even the good trolls seem to have moved on. On the other hand, a lot of the super-annoying trolls have given up or been permabanned, so it's not a total loss.

Still, one longs for the days when Joe Gerardi (an actual USTA coach) would post, or Volcana would start a topic with some heft to it, or Corswandt and JR would mix more serious and lengthy discussion into the snark stew.

I tried to open one there a while ago. I don't think anyone who replied so far has read the OP :facepalm:

Moveyourfeet
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:05 AM
I'm on TF for non tennis. It has no bearing on my tennis viewing. Most of the kids on here know next to nothing about high level tennis.

Jane Lane
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:35 AM
I feel like TF is the Matrix. No one can be told what the Matrix really is and you have to experience it for yourself. :hysteric:

I joined TF in 2008 but really didn't start regularly posting here until like 2009ish? It's funny because before then I was a member of the Henin and Mauresmo message boards and people were like "ZOMG WTAWORLD DA PLAGUE" so obviously I had to come check it out. :lol:

Like a lot of you other guys have said, no one in my actual life is so invested in anything like I am in tennis so they don't really get it. There are a bunch of people on here (which has now extended to Twitter shenanigans) who I could see myself actually being friends with IRL. It's great to have a separate community that you can get away to and that understands you, especially when your real life gets rough.

All other emoticons will never live up to the ones here and I can't say that it hasn't influenced my vocabulary either. :rolls:

melodynelson
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM
I come here to play suicide primarily. The tennis often isn't enthralling enough to actually debate or engage in any interesting conversation, neither are most of the players, and the posters (myself included) aren't generally the most interesting either, especially with the stupid gifs...although I noticed before it would just be a smiley instead of a gif before, so I guess the wordless/image responses to most threads just evolved.

Said all of that, there are some great personalities on this board and I laugh pretty hard a few times a week, plus I learn a lot of new French in the chat thread. :lol: It's of course a great way of keeping up with tennis and seeing how others respond to the same things you see, so in that regard it's great.

Israel
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:50 AM
Same fun, Tennis Forum is just an extra for me...

MaBaker
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
TF makes tennis more interesting, at least for me. Most of the trolls here <3

Corswandt
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
I don't have an account and don't like it much, but that's kinda weird from someone who has it in his sig :confused:
(I do read your tweets occasionally btw)

My Twitter account is a complete failure and pretty much derelict these days. Haven't tweeted anything even remotely worthwhile ever; just pure bile, the sort of petty, vile h8tin' that I'm too chickenshit to post here for fear of getting banned, wrong predictions and childish doomsaying.

Plus I started following a ton of twittering Anglo reporters and bloggers and being exposed to their idiocy even for limited periods just makes me lose the will to live.

The rest is just "ZomG!!1!1 I can't." inane gossip. Bottom line Twitter is 100% useless if you're not into gossip.

bjurra
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Tennis would be 5% less fun without tennisforum and 10% less fun without MTF. And 50% less fun without betting.

Bremen
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Ladies and gentlemen of TennisForum, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my minivan... and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a PM on the forum, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know--as much as this forum is full of nasty backstabbing people who I wouldn't want to meet in real life, it has many bits of information that I couldn't find back in the days before we could create fire, and many pleasing pictures of sweaty women in short skirts. Think of the time before this 'Internet!' Try finding the scores for a challenger tournament in your local paper, or waiting for your favorite player to show at the U.S. Open only to find that she broke her ankle at Newport and is done for the season! Try cooking popcorn on a hot rock! Try following a herd of mastodons with with a pebble in your Doc Martens! Thank you.

:bounce:

An all time classic.