PDA

View Full Version : RG R2: A. Radwanska def. V. Williams 6-2, 6-3

Pages : [1] 2

saul1333
May 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Thank you Aga :hearts:

Didn't expect she would have such an easy time. Only blip was when she was broken at 5*-2.

Sveta next.

Leo St
May 30th, 2012, 06:35 PM
congratulations to agniezska radwanska

and to her fans for supporting a woman thats developing to be a really good player. i hope your favorite can give you so many good memories as mine did throughout a beautiful carreer. the end is proving to be really emotional for me at least, and sometimes its a mental battle of wanting to see what we someday did, but knowing that may not be the case anymore, anyway

congratulations venus, for giving such an inspirational fight in all of your comebacks, not everytime were gonna be succesful, but you showed enough trust in yourself and that matters at the end of the day, people can say whatever they want, as its easy to be sitted in a chair rather than fighting a disease.. on to wimbledon

azinna
Rubbish.

MB.
Predicted this. Aga's the better player, Venus is just a journeywoman now.

Queenpova
Tennis Lost Today.

Venus def herself, when she showed up for 1,5 games she proved she could own that pusher, but she just wasnt feeling motivated

Roookie
Most predictable result of this tournament.

Jimmie48
I think it's becoming rather obvious now that the WS era is quickly coming to an end.

Cosmic Voices
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5540/26301075.png

like a boss

Steven.
aga should thank venus for gifting the match to her.

ElusiveChanteuse
Easy for Aga just an hour of lesson.:oh:

slamchamp
ugh:o

Specter
http://ist1-2.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/5/7/6/6/57663/1/3/Q/b/13QbC/GFfKg.gif

Stonerpova
:o

Daniela-Is-Mine
:bounce: Hate that you and Ang are in the same quarter :(

Tough for Vee. :(

TheKid!
In a few games played as she should, Venus has overpowered Radwanska in a perfect way, but it was too late :hug:
Congrats to the player that I dislike more, now please lose to Svetlana :p

Doully
May 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/bplease.gif

Retire for your fans Vee. You don't show up GOAT for one game while down 1-6 2-5. It was far too late.

Radwanska surprised me today. Her serve was on fire, she was hitting scorching returns and was solid off the ground.

MercuriePL
Aggie raped her:)

GoofyDuck
Venus still signing autographs, smiling and waving :awww: :spit:

Viktymise
TTR unfortunately.

nfl46
Good job, Aga!

Okay, Vee, your fav season/tourneys are coming up. Enough of this Australian and French Open stuff....bring on the grass!!!!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Never in doubt. Did people really think that Aga would lose this one? She has too much game for the current Venus.
Some lovely points won by Aga :drool: Keep going :kiss:

olivero
Sad to see Venus play like that.

But I'm superhappy for Aga. Played a great match, didn't get much chances as Venus was spraying errors left and right, but she was very solid and served well.

Now probably even tougher match against Sveta. Good luck!

Uranium
That was disgusting. She really should consider retiring if every tournament will end with a shit show from her.

Beat
now that was almost too easy :o

Venus still signing autographs, smiling and waving :facepalm: :spit:

oh, how dare she do that!?! evil, evil woman.

VIKA?
I expected more from Vinas TBH.

Queenpova

and to her fans for supporting a woman thats developing to be a really good player. i hope your favorite can give you so many good memories as mine did throughout a beautiful carreer. the end is proving to be really emotional for me at least, and sometimes its a mental battle of wanting to see what we someday did, but knowing that may not be the case anymore, anyway

congratulations venus, for giving such an inspirational fight in all of your comebacks, not everytime were gonna be succesful, but you showed enough trust in yourself and that matters at the end of the day, people can say whatever they want, as its easy to be sitted in a chair rather than fighting a disease.. on to wimbledonBeautiful post :worship:

vozas
Poor Venus. The vulture didn't have to do anything unfortunately. Rest up for Wimbledon.

zigga
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5540/26301075.png

like a boss

:haha:
I wanted Venus to win but I expected this result.

Belmont Lad
As predicted, Aga wins easily in straights. NID really, don't know why so many picked Venus. :shrug: Good luck against Sveta! :kiss:

Dexter
Congrats, Aga. Got the job done easier than expected. :) Quite an anticlimatic match after all the hype, but I take it.
You need to be rock solid to stand a chance against Aga and Venus was not today. I almost felt sorry for her.

s teddy
May 30th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Venus :hug: She was dreadful until 0-4 down in the second set.

Aga was really good for the most part, but she started to choke a little bit when Venus started playing better. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. :unsure:

Mustafina
I really hope this is not her last French Open. She looked resigned after the match.

Good luck for Wimbledon/Olympics.

Andy_POL
It looked to me like Venus's farewell to Roland Garros... :sad:

Alejandrawrrr
So Aga got an hour of hitting practice. I'd never have known Venus was a player who could even reach a slam final, let alone win 7 :spit:

dsanders06
Genuinely felt really sorry for Venus watching that.

Atleast GM should be a Willytard-free zone for the rest of the tournament, seeing as none of them have the balls to talk their trash when they're flopping :lol: Back into your caves.

Kon.
Okay, Venus. :lol: Sucked during the whole match except for her last couple of games when she suddenly started playing some great points. :rolleyes:

Aga was very good today, some points were amazing :yeah:

vspak
Aga :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Venus :kiss:

LUXXXAS
May 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
expected! Congrats Aga!
Venus :hug:
now Serena will withdraw from mixed doubles ;)

Libertango
I feel sad :sad: Venus :hug:

But big congrats to Aga! Good luck for the rest of the tournament.

vozas
Ivanovic PLEASE save tennis in the 4th round now :sobbing:

Landon92
who owned who? :oh:

dynamoRockstarr
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/DMG100/Trinano.gif

Good job, Aga.

Bayo
Disappointing, but expected. Venus clearly didn't give two shits. She was smiling like she was headed to Disneyland walking off the court.

In other news, this is the first time I've seen Venus sign autographs at a tournament in years. And after a loss no less.

Trickle
Venus signing autographs in defeat. A true gracious class act. :hearts: :D

davidmario
May 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
venus just has no stamina anymore. I wonder how she was able to play so intense against Ormaechea

Temperenka
This felt like a "changing of the guard" match. However, no way in hell will Aga ever win 7 slams.

Ryusuke Tenma
Another ballbasher bites the dust. Serena yesterday, Venus today. Both Williams sisters out early. Wonderful :cool:

Brilliant win, Aga :yeah:

Vikapower
May 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Pretty much a masterclass from Radwanska -- anything different would have been extremely surprising. This was her match to lose. This was pretty much the highest peak I've seen from her. First serve was ridiculously good, strong, precise [...] her shots were pretty good too --

This surface helps Radwanska a lot so lol at the people who said she'll not be able hit through clay as if you need to hit through clay to be successful -- have a feeling Radwanska plays even a higher peak of tennis on these kinds of surface. Stuffs like Miami and clay.

Yep, the old generation is over and done, not only the WS but Zvonareva, Kuznetsova and many others --

olympus28
The fact is Williams sisters are 30, millionaire

It's time for a family, babies etc.

Retire plz

You're are just embarassing yourselves and your statistics

debby

congratulations venus, for giving such an inspirational fight in all of your comebacks, not everytime were gonna be succesful, but you showed enough trust in yourself and that matters at the end of the day, people can say whatever they want, as its easy to be sitted in a chair rather than fighting a disease.. on to wimbledon

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Classy Venus fan. I really have tremendous amount of respect for Venus. She was laughable today. But we should not forget she is a great champion and a legend of this game !

Yayyy Aga :D

starin
Terrible throughout. I can't see Venus playing beyond this year. Not if she keeps putting up shit shows like she has.

Radwanska :o The one game where Venus showed up not only was Radwanska helpless but she panicked as well.
I still hope she wins RG though :hearts:

awsk8er
Aga:worship: :hearts: [ashamed of my doubts:tape:]
Venus:hug:

Gilas.
:yeah: Good luck against Sveta.

John.
May 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM
That was a damp squib :o

Venus :hug: Good luck at Wimbledon

Aga :yeah: Good luck for the rest of the tourny

Ryusuke Tenma
Poor Venus. The vulture didn't have to do anything unfortunately. Rest up for Wimbledon.
Radwanska was doing plenty in the match. Her defense was amazing, some winners were really good and she was solid. You haters can cry all you want, won't change the fact that Radwanska was too good today :wavey:

mauresmofan
Definitely the last year we'll see Venus play no doubt about it. Saw it on Amelie's face at Wimbledon in her retirement year when she was leaving the court and it was the same expression on Venus' face today. Sad to see a wonderful champion go out like that but she'll hopefully play well at Wimbledon and have a great send off there. Lovely to see her take the time to sign autographs and the French crowd have really warmed to her over the years, nice applause at the end.

it-girl
It is a travesty when Venus Williams loses to Aga but it was expected. I did not see Venus trying to make a deep run here, this is just not a tournament that inspires her and that has been pretty obvious throughout the years. To be honest I am glad the French campaign is over because I would rather her be refreshed for Wimbledon & the Olympics. Still supporting 100% Venus Williams.

Congrats Aga.

SAISAI-GOAT
Vinas :sobbing:

you should have at least held to make Aga serve it out :hysteric:

BlueTrees
Nice practice session for Aga :yeah: :D

Mahon_Lorcan
Aga was play very well today:) Williams did many unforced errors..she is a shadow of a great player..

Haters gonna hate:) Especially Sharapova's fans :) Typical.

olivero
May 30th, 2012, 06:42 PM
oh, how dare she do that!?! evil, evil woman.

:lol:

Talula
Can people please show some respect to Venus.

Venus is an icon and one of the most important players in tennis history. She raised the bar and her impact transcends the game. She knows she is not fully fit and she knows she hasn't won a slam for a long time. But she is still doing what she can and her fans love her.

Well done Aga, a class act and I love her style of tennis. Good luck to her.

V.e.s.W
The clay is over for Venus :) She can concentrate on grass now :)

debby
By the way : even Radwanska has more wins against Venus than Justine.

Chim
Venus was never in the match. Aga didn't have to do much but still a solic win.

vspak

Classy. Thank you :worship:

Cosmic Voices
May 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM

debby i feel for you :hysteric:

Welcome1
Never in doubt!

Those who voted for Venus :help:

Venus is a great champion, feel sorry for. But it's obvious that Radwanska is just better nowadays.

M.S.F
Fuck this tournament :lol:
Venus didn't care that much and Aga was a wall.

Michael!
May 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hope that Venus will be able to show some better matches at Wimbledon and the Olympics, she obviously has no stamina anymore and that kills you, especially when u play on clay and against a player like Radwanska!
But she still can beat average opponents and on grass she will be more dangerous again, I hope that her body will be strong enough somehow for a few matches in a row there, she deserves some last bigger success before she retires!

Patrick345
Lot of ESPN and CNNSI writers look really stupid talking about Sharapova&Williams sisters still being the best, while Azarenka, Rasdwanska, Kvitova and Wozniacki are such failures. :lol:

jameshazza
Vinas :o

debby
May 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
debby i feel for you :hysteric:

Hey, Justine had a great career ! :p and 2007 USO SF match :drool: Not any of Aga-Venus matches will ever top this one, so :oh:

Sad if her last goodbye to RG was that failure of a match :( She didn't deserve that.

LANGAM
:sad::sad::sad: It was sad to watch Venus play like this. I think this will be the last year will see her on tour. The way she stayed after she lost and was signing auto's, was like she was saying goodbye. She has never done that not after a loss. Ahh well she has given us so many years of joy when she was dominating and wining everything. Will always love and cherish the memories. Hope she has a better Wimbledon.

Well done Aga!!:):)

Kismet
Radwanska played well, played her crafty game of variety, placement, and occasional controlled aggression. She took advantage of Venus' poor energy and moved her around, as I expected. She's a tricky player, and though she lacks power, her tennis smarts can bring on some annoying or great (however you want to look at it) results.

Venus, was out of it. She tried in the end to overpower Radwanska, but it was too little too late. As much as I admire Venus for still trying to play tennis and have one last (maybe) hurrah at GS/Olympic glory, she really needs to retire. With age, health, and lack of play, she's just not even half the player she once was. It pains me to see such a great champion in her position, and I'd rather see her go out now than try to climb a very difficult mountain.

Anyway, congrats Aga.
:hug: Venus.

Ferg
Venus :tape:

it-girl
May 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Venus still signing autographs, smiling and waving :facepalm: :spit:Of course she is. Trust and believe this is a loss that has not affected Venus in one bit. As a matter of a fact she is probably happier now since she doesn't have to play any longer on the clay. I think Davenport said it best, Venus did not look inspired to be at the French Open but the fans love her so course she would acknowledge them and smile.

Macomere
So Aga got an hour of hitting practice. I'd never have known Venus was a player who could even reach a slam final, let alone win 7 :spit:

you stay classy :yeah: :rolleyes:.

BlueTrees
Someone forgot to tell Venus that she was playing Radwanska at Roland Garros and not Pironkova at Wimbledon, and therefore she didn't have to play like complete shit and lose 6-2 6-3. :oh:

DPTennis

Beautiful post, made me emotional. :sad:
I like both Aga and Venus, was sad this was the second round.
Good luck Aga for the rest of the tournament.

This.

Matze
May 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Congrats Agnieszka on a good, consistent match...

But what an asshole that syndrome is Venus suffers from... It was sooo sad to see a chmapion of her caliber to just not being allowed physically to play great and move her feet...

I will not give up hope because her beloved Wimbledon comes along but this match today showed me that Venus will never ever be healthy again... I pray to the destiny that she is allowed to play 7 matches again... Someone who has been through so much deserves something great because of all this fight and love for the sport! Thank you Venus for the last 15 years or so... Her body will just keep up anymore...

Venus forever :)

Vikapower
May 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM

:rolls: You better hope they don't meet again through out the year, have feeling Radwanska will reverse that 3-5 H2h in the blink of an eye, poor Juju. :oh:

serenaforever
May 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
aga should thank venus for gifting the match to her.

This.

Juju Nostalgique
May 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Congrats Lady Aga! :bowdown:

Vee :hug:

BrandClay
May 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Quite sad to watch......

Venus had no fight...no energy...and looked like she could care less.

Congrats Radwanska....go far!

Stamp Paid
May 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Venus was over it, as am I. Venus reeled off what, 12 straight points on pride alone, and Aga had no answers. :lol:

But Agnieszka, I'm here for you. You're the only female Miami champion not to win a slam? This is your time gurl.

StephenUK
Times have changed. Two or three years ago, you would have expected this sort of scoreline in Venus's favour as Venus tended to completely overpower the Pole.

But not anymore. The wheel of tennis fortune has spun round and Aga is up near the top and Venus is plunging down to the bottom. Radwanska has improved so much in the last year, her serve is much better, she is more powerful and is able to deal with power players without being hit off the court. She played some beautiful angles and lobs - so skilful and made so few errors, she has brilliant concentration.

Poor Venus. This is the sort of match that must presage her retirement. For the majority of the match, she was simply dreadful, making a ton of errors and only showing a glimmer of her past greatness. She only really came alive at the end but it proved to be too late and all she was able to do was make the score respectable. Winning ten games from Radwanska in two meetings this year must be very depressing for her. I just can't see her sticking around if she can't do better than this in future, if things don't improve for her at Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open, she may well retire by the end of this season, I just don't see her or Serena being happy to be journeywomen losing in the first two rounds of slams on a regular basis.

Wintermute
Congrats Aga! :D Did a lot well today: serves, returns, variety of shot. The lob in the game at 4-0 and the defensive cross-court drop shot in the following point were sublime. She's still got a really tough draw but I hope she keeps playing at this high level.

Sad for Venus. :hug: She really didn't seem able to bring anything today. Maybe shades of it right towards the end, but too little too late. From that perspective this match was an anticlimax as it was certainly the pick of them when the draw came out. On the other hand maybe this will quiet down some of the posters on here who were rubbing their hands with glee upon seeing the draw assuming Venus would easily dispatch Aga. Today they were different levels. I hope Venus can bring more of the real player that she is when she gets to Wimbledon.

Very nice at the handshake too which was great to see and too rare in the women's game.

jameshazza
May 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I think I'll be emotional when Vee retires even though she's not a fave, thought it was clear by her exit from the court it's her last RG. She's always been such a class act and perfect role model for female athletes, plus her fight for equal prize money

stromatolite
May 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Great win by Aga. I expected her to win, but not this easily. Aga played great, Venus not so great, 'nuff said.

Chip.
Venus still signing autographs, smiling and waving :awww: :spit:

That's called being gracious in defeat, hunnay. Not storming off court in a huff. Spectators asked and she gave; it's called being polite, so stay pressed.

Part of why Venus is forever my fave.

Anyway, she was a shambles until he last two games but it was too little, too late sadly :sad: Probably the last we'll see of her in RG. Onto Wimbledon :cheer:

Aga I must admit was very impressive for most of the match. It will be intresting seeing her progress. Congratulations to her fans on their fave easing through a potentially tough battle :)

scandic78
Good. Now 80% of TF can take a seat. In fact, take several seats :smoke:

vozas
May 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think I'll be emotional when Vee retires even though she's not a fave, thought it was clear by her exit from the court it's her last RG. She's always been such a class act and perfect role model for female athletes, plus her fight for equal prize money

Yeah, come to think of it, she was signing those autographs despite losing, something no one ever does. Giving her French fans one last treat :sad::sad:

Dan_Doe
Close match indeed :oh:

Smith Saybrook
Aga just way, way too consistent today. It would've been interesting if Venus managed to hold for 4-5 and had Aga try to serve it out again. Watching Venus blow that 40-15 lead was too much for me.

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Beautiful post. Infact as good a post as this board has produced this year I would say. :bowdown:

Super Dave
May 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM
:tears:

Queen_Vee_92
May 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM
The fact that this thread isn't full of Venus hate and mockery (for the most part) shows just how disappointing a loss it was today.

Non-Fans have commented how sad it was watching Venus play tonight, so imagine how us fans feel.

Massive credit to Radwanska. I really don't like her as a player, but she played this Venus in the perfect way. She tracked down absolutely everything, and came up with some genius improvising shots and great lobs. She chased everything to stay in the point, but to erode any confidence Venus had that she could win this without playing lights out tennis, and as soon as Vee knew thats what it would take today she was a goner. To add to that Aga served great, and the first serve is really becoming a weapon, both with placement and speed now.

Probably the last time we see Venus in Paris, and after some of the years i've watched her, i'm convinced it's not such a bad thing :lol:
Onto the grass for Venus, and despite this loss i will be one happy and excited fan when i see her on the lawns :hearts: praying for one last push over this summer, to give us an unlikely victory somewhere before an increasingly likely retirement after the USO.

N.M.
May 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM
nice from aga
playing low bouncing balls into venus' feet, making her spray errors all over... old clay tactic against vee (invented already many years ago by the others) worked yet again

sad to see a great champion losing like this but i hope this win will give aga the silent killer a boost

after all, the match was not just about the errors, many nice shots as well :)

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
venus just has no stamina anymore. I wonder how she was able to play so intense against Ormaechea

Just a thought. But maybe Ormaechea isn't quite as good as Radwanska. Yeah, I know, crazy notion. But you might want to consider this.

markedman
I am pleased for Aga. She has really worked hard on improving her all court tennis and her serve. She played well today, without really having to try too hard. I hope she can get a good run in this tournament. :)

Sad for Venus. A shadow, a pale imitation of her former self. She really looked out on her feet. Not to take anything away from Aga. She did what she had to do, and did it well.

marineblue
I am glad that I did not see most of the match. Venus pretty much hit herself off the court. When she was playing well Radwanska was helpless.

Blu€
Venus attitude was appalling! She barely moved or fought, not a Radwanska fan but she owned her in every aspect! :clap2::clap2:

doooma6816
May 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Venus was painful to watch today, she was missing everything...I thought she could make comeback at 3-5 40-15...but I don't think she was really dissapointed tbh.
Aga played solid.

miffedmax
May 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I had a bad feeling about this match after watching Aga's first round win, so I can't say I'm surprised (though of course I'm disappointed).

Still, no doubt the better player today won.

Hopefully Vee will fare better in the grass season.

Viktymise
May 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Just a thought. But maybe Ormaechea isn't quite as good as Radwanska. Yeah, I know, crazy notion. But you might want to consider this.

Be quiet.

treufreund
May 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Oh wow I just thought that Aga was serving and groundstroking so deep or so precise. And had some gorgeous lobs and passing shots and clean winners. I just love how she is playing aggressively as possible and not just waiting for unforced errors. Obviously one has to run and defend a lot against Vinas because she goes for outrageous shots and she is not keeping the ball in play enough to even let you hit a winner before she commits an error. Vinas did comport herself in a classy manner and is a great role model for young players (and little sisters)! Venus will go right on with working on her game and probably play better on the grass. Aga still has such a nightmarish draw here but hey it means I get to see her on the big courts a lot!

silverwhite

:worship::worship::worship:

Sammo
As if someone did not see that coming

*Jean*
Venus :bigcry:

sammy01
May 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM
for venus and her fans sake i hope she retires after the us open. she is completely finished as a title contender. playing 1 last wim, olympics and us open to say goodbye.

aga mopped up the pieces well.

Chip.
Another ballbasher bites the dust. Serena yesterday, Venus today. Both Williams sisters out early. Wonderful :cool:

Classy as always. We expected nothing less.

treufreund
I am glad that I did not see most of the match. Venus pretty much hit herself off the court. When she was playing well Radwanska was helpless.

Well it does not matter who beats Venus we always here this type of explanation. It's not saying much for Venus that she chooses to constantly go for low percentage shots. It's called "bailing out" of a rally and that generally indicates a lack of confidence. :sad:

ExXotikal
May 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Saturn really ain't shit, she always fails to represent

Morrissey
May 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Venus is finished as a top player and today's loss kind of seals the deal. Venus had a great career BUT she is losing and this is not what a champion wants. Venus is a multi millionaire is a great champion but she needs to move on from women's tennis.

Joe.
May 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
People are complaining about the result, yet if Aga had won they'd be complaining about how Aga doesn't deserve the #3 ranking :weirdo:

Agnieszka is simply a better player nowadays than Venus.

debby
May 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Venus is finished as a top player and today's loss kind of seals the deal. Venus had a great career BUT she is losing and this is not what a champion wants. Venus is a multi millionaire is a great champion but she needs to move on from women's tennis.

When is your next thread ?

Maria Croft
May 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Why should Venus retire if she still loves to play tennis?
Her legacy, her Slam wins, that's what will be remembered anyway.

Besides, the grass and hardcourt season is next. Will be interesting to see how she will improve.

Sombrerero loco
May 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
aga :drool: unbelievable again

marineblue
May 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Well it does not matter who beats Venus we always here this type of explanation. It's not saying much for Venus that she chooses to constantly go for low percentage shots. It's called "bailing out" of a rally and that generally indicates a lack of confidence. :sad:

I am being serious, I watched the second set and Venus gifted the match to Radwanska with silly errors. Radwanska did not force the majority of errors as Venus just hit everything out or made a double fault.

Maybe it is still not too late for her, this is a shock defeat though. I think that she can improve things at grass tournaments. She should play a warm-up before Wimbledon IMO as more preparation matches could help her to play better.

Cinek
May 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Aga :worship:

Come on in R3 vs. Sveta :unsure:

Vikapower
May 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Venus still signing autographs, smiling and waving

This is maybe a sign that she'll probably not be a player on CC RG anymore :shrug:

TBH I doubt Venus is playing to win BIG and all the time like in the past. It's just some very small group of her fans who can't accept that she was but isn't anymore -- it's not Venus' fault she's 32 now and etc. etc.

Many people thought it would just take her to stand and overpower a player like Radwanska especially on a slow surface such as clay, if only tennis worked like that.

I give Venus a stronger chance of defeating ball-bashers than these offensive/defensive minded counter-punchers who suffocate her game. Radwanska's defenses were text book and you need a certain consistency/regularity in your offense to even hope to have a single chance against her.

Reason also why Radwanska only has 1 loss to a player outside the top 4 because only a select few players out of the top 10 can do that on a regular basis to expose her game.

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
The fact that this thread isn't full of Venus hate and mockery (for the most part) shows just how disappointing a loss it was today.

Non-Fans have commented how sad it was watching Venus play tonight, so imagine how us fans feel.

Massive credit to Radwanska. I really don't like her as a player, but she played this Venus in the perfect way. She tracked down absolutely everything, and came up with some genius improvising shots and great lobs. She chased everything to stay in the point, but to erode any confidence Venus had that she could win this without playing lights out tennis, and as soon as Vee knew thats what it would take today she was a goner. To add to that Aga served great, and the first serve is really becoming a weapon, both with placement and speed now.

Probably the last time we see Venus in Paris, and after some of the years i've watched her, i'm convinced it's not such a bad thing :lol:
Onto the grass for Venus, and despite this loss i will be one happy and excited fan when i see her on the lawns :hearts: praying for one last push over this summer, to give us an unlikely victory somewhere before an increasingly likely retirement after the USO.

I can't think of any reason why anyone should want to hate Venus. She is a class act and has been her entire career.

Thanks for the kind words about Aga. I do think it is a shame that within this loss of Venus's a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that actually there was someone on the other side of the net who was playing pretty well.

The fact that Venus is not quite the player she was a couple of years ago takes nothing away from the greatness of her career. All athletic careers if they go on long enough end in decline. Those that didn't ended because of injury or because the athlete gave up prematurely rather than face decline.

Venus has never been a quitter. And I believe it is better to face one's aging head on by fighting to it hold off even when the reality is that it can't be done. It would have been so easy for Venus to call it quits when she got diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. That she didn't shows what a courageous heart is within.

Venus, in 2012 is not the player she used to be. To have expected her to beat Radwanska was in all honesty living in cloud cookoo land. Or at the very least in 2009/10. But losing this match was not something to be ashamed of. Far from it. That Venus has had the guts not to run away from what are virtually impossible challenges says so much about the character of her. And it really saddens me that anyone could be critical of Venus after a match like this.

I am a big Radwanska fan. I was very pleased with how she played. But it was nothing unexpected. But at the end of the match the player I felt the most admiration and respect for was Venus. That's the truth.

V-MAC
May 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Considering it looked like we were speeding towards a bagel second set, Vee did well in the end to make it more respectable when it was clear she had nothing at all today. Aga did well too with keeping rock solid from start to finish.

I really hope Vee can have a wonderful Wimbledon...tennis gods, be good to her!

Vikapower
May 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I am being serious, I watched the second set and Venus gifted the match to Radwanska with silly errors. Radwanska did not force the majority of errors as Venus just hit everything out or made a double fault.

Maybe it is still not too late for her, this is a shock defeat though. I think that she can improve things at grass tournaments. She should play a warm-up before Wimbledon IMO as more preparation matches could help her to play better.

:lol: I don't defend Radwanska but probably all these errors were psychologically forced by Radwanska too no ? --

Venus is perfectly aware of what you need to put in place to beat Radwanska, you need to be offensive and you need to be consistent at doing so. Once you can't do that there's always a STRONG chance that you're going to press.

Venus didn't have 10,000 solutions -- either she was lining up the power shots or either she was rallying ad infinitum with Radwanska so clearly she could have been "pressured" to perform her offense even better thus ended up forcing hence missing shots.

pedropt
May 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yet another frustrating performance from Venus. Keep improving and kick some ass in Wimbledon, preferably Radwanska's :)

Congrats Radwanska.

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Why should Venus retire if she still loves to play tennis?
Her legacy, her Slam wins, that's what will be remembered anyway.

Besides, the grass and hardcourt season is next. Will be interesting to see how she will improve.

This!!! x1000

fouc
May 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
That's called being gracious in defeat, hunnay. Not storming off court in a huff. Spectators asked and she gave; it's called being polite, so stay pressed.

Part of why Venus is forever my fave.

but she never does this :secret:

treufreund
May 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hats off to almost everyone in this thread for classy posts!!! No reason to hate on Venus and I think finally people are starting to begrudgingly acknowledge just how much Aga has improved. She has the most wins on tour this year. That's not exactly an easy stat to ignore, folks. She just looks really composed and confident and tactically capable on court. Venus would ALWAYS struggle on red clay against someone like Aga, but we do have to see that she is not playing her best anymore. She may not have full fitness that she needs because of her health problems. I do not know that that is the case but if it is the case then it's hard to feel that she should keep playing. It's tough to criticize her lack of preparation given her condition, but, at the same time, it's just part of the game that if you step on the center court you are declaring yourself ready to go. She has had some very very good wins this year though so I think it is way too early to complete write her off. She can still get some major scalps. She pushed Sharapova a few weeks back and she beat Kvitova earlier this year in Miami. Whether she can maintain that level for an entire tournament is the really big question though.

Jane Lane
May 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Biggest NID match of the tournament.

Morrissey
May 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Venus consistency is gone and I think Radwanska forced Venus to try to go for winners. Venus wasn't patient enough to wait to hit the winner. Venus also has a disease which makes her tired so she probably didn't want to stay in long points. Radwanska forced Venus to go for the extra shot. Very few players like Azarenka are capable of defeating Radwanska because she is consistent, patient, yet also powerful.

TheKid!
May 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Williams sisters have helped women's tennis to become so famous and loved. Every commenter today was saying that the tour is much more interesting with both Serena and Venus still playing, and this is true. Just look at Serena, who was able to demolish her opponents in Madrid and showed she is the best player in the world, better than your dear Wozniacki or Radwanska.
Comments like these are awful. Even a Williams sisters' hater should appreciate what they did for this sport, something that Radwanska and other young players will hardly do.
Thanks to Serena and Venus, I started to love this sport. They are fantastic. Venus is a fantastic person, whose sportmanship is incredible. You don't like her, ok, but respect her, not as a tennis player, but as a person.
Everybody, even Agnieszka's fans, is probably disappointed by Venus' performance today. But I don't want her to retire, I'd like her to play forever. Why? Because she deserves everything possible from sport and life, after the sufferings of last year.
People.. brain is not needed to understand the importance of respecting Venus (and Serena). You must have a heart, nothing more.

doomsday
:facepalm:

Ryan
I remember seeing Venus clobber Aga at the US Open a few years back, and thought it would be impossible for someone with her game style to ever threaten Venus. Anyway, times have changed...

Aga was solid, served great - it could have been more complicated if she wasn't prepared, but she didn't take Venus lightly.

Venus just played really bad, but hopefully she gears up for Wimbledon - I was surprised at how sad I was seeing her play poorly.

petkoan
Wow

Leo_DFP
May 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I think it's becoming rather obvious now that the WS era is quickly coming to an end.

Venus hasn't been a contender for years sadly, but I think Serena's in it. She should be one of the favorites for Wimbledon. Serena 2011-2012 is reminding me of Serena 2008 in coming back from injury and prior to her winning the USO: a lot of hard work, preparation, but nervy losses at the Slams because she wanted to win so bad. But she broke through at that USO finally. Maybe that will be the case for her at Wimbledon?

Anyway, this thread is about Venus/Aga. I was proven silly for thinking Venus would win this. If she played the way she did the last few games, she could have. But woke up from her slumber too late. It's maybe too much to ask Venus to be strong enough for an entire three-set match against the likes of Aza, Shara, and Aga. Petra was different because she does a good job spraying errors and beating herself, like Venus back in her heydays.

Irute
May 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I could not be happier for Aga, congrats on winning :yeah:, but more so for staying calm and composed in stressful match. I hope she will continue to do that.

There is a lot of nice posts here and sense of sadness in them because of Venus' anticipated retirement. I can't help to feel like I am reading speeches prepared for a wake. As it may happen that she will retire soon I am still looking forward to the next 2 GSs for her. Things may turn around. I wish her a great Wimbledon!

Richie's
Lady Aga ;)

homogenius
expected but i must say Venus was particularly bad.Aga was just in control from the beginning to the end.

Leo_DFP
May 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I can't think of any reason why anyone should want to hate Venus. She is a class act and has been her entire career.

Thanks for the kind words about Aga. I do think it is a shame that within this loss of Venus's a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that actually there was someone on the other side of the net who was playing pretty well.

The fact that Venus is not quite the player she was a couple of years ago takes nothing away from the greatness of her career. All athletic careers if they go on long enough end in decline. Those that didn't ended because of injury or because the athlete gave up prematurely rather than face decline.

Venus has never been a quitter. And I believe it is better to face one's aging head on by fighting to it hold off even when the reality is that it can't be done. It would have been so easy for Venus to call it quits when she got diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome. That she didn't shows what a courageous heart is within.

Venus, in 2012 is not the player she used to be. To have expected her to beat Radwanska was in all honesty living in cloud cookoo land. Or at the very least in 2009/10. But losing this match was not something to be ashamed of. Far from it. That Venus has had the guts not to run away from what are virtually impossible challenges says so much about the character of her. And it really saddens me that anyone could be critical of Venus after a match like this.

I am a big Radwanska fan. I was very pleased with how she played. But it was nothing unexpected. But at the end of the match the player I felt the most admiration and respect for was Venus. That's the truth.

Wow, so well said. I feel exactly the same way. Venus is an inspiration to everyone. I admire her so much - fighting all of these years, sometimes (sadly) as much herself as her opponents. But she is someone that the everyman can relate to, in a way. In our lives we all have moments of brilliance yet far more moments of catastrophe and self-capitulation, but she (like we should) keeps getting back up against, striving for that brilliance.

Respect.

mistymore
May 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
this is a shock defeat though.

ROTFL Venus losing to Radwanska at the French is a shock defeat. Only someone so retarded they think Wozniacki was the true 1 in 2011 and once dominated tennis would say something so absurd. That of course is you in both cases, hahahah.

Bayo
May 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
This was bad, but I'm not sure it's so grave. Venus is terrible at this tournament. She was bageled by Szavay three years ago when she was ranked 3 in the world FFS.

If this repeats at Wimbledon, then I guess the writing really is on the wall.

sdtoot
May 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Venus signing autographs in defeat. A true gracious class act. :hearts: :D

No doubt she is a class act off the court, but I'm sure that her fans would still like her to be a class act on the court. Retirement after the USO now seems certain unless she can quickly find some form and motivation.

Moo_21
May 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM
A great win for Radwanska although Venus was disappointing today. She has a tough draw here although I think she will have what it takes to be beat Kuznetsova, who will most probably choke any kind of lead she has in that match...

CWTennis
May 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM
WD Aga!

Simugna Help
May 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
With this win, Aga is 50/10 W/L since US Open (not counting 4 Fed Cup matches which she all won). Absolutely amazing if you consider that she was 33/19 in 2010. Hopefully she can reach a GS SF sooner than later, preferably now.

doomsday
May 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
With this win, Aga is 50/10 W/L since US Open (not counting 4 Fed Cup matches which she all won). Absolutely amazing if you consider that she was 33/19 in 2010. Hopefully she can reach a GS SF sooner than later, preferably now.

Like you said a few days ago, if she is not able to reach the semis with this draw then she doesn't deserve to be in top 3 AT ALL.

Simugna Help
May 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Like you said a few days ago, if she is not able to reach the semis with this draw then she doesn't deserve to be in top 3 AT ALL.
Kerber is the biggest threat in the quarter and has been playing great tennis this year, but I think Aga's serve will be the deciding factor should they meet in QF. But let's not look too far ahead, hopefully she can beat Svetlana first :unsure:

hankqq
May 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
well Venus had another of her garbage days. Hopefully she'll do better on grass...Radwanska vs. Kuznetsova could be interesting, if both play well.

rickxx
May 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Venus :fiery::fiery:

Malva
May 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM

A beautiful, graceful post. A kind of very rarely seen in the Tennis Forum.

bandabou
May 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Disappointing loss..in that Vee didn't even put up a fight. The end is nearing with each loss. It was a great run, no matter what.

gaja kesari
May 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Congratulations Agnieszka. I was expecting a tougher match, but Venus took some time to get into it, and Agnieszka was in control throughout, bar her last serving game.

Venus, rest and prepare for Wimbledon, I cannot wait.

A lovely handshake too :)

Ntosake
May 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Venus, you came up short today, but rest up, see ya on the grass!

Congrats Aga!

Aryman3
May 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Congrats to both. To Venus as she was obviously limited by illness but tried to play her best
And to Aga who was perfect tactically and almost faultless
Maybe not a great match, but certainly great players

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Venus. :hug:

Aga you played good but you didn't have to do much. Quit the lobs & keep slicing it leaves you less exposed or just lob against Kuzzy we know she'll smash them out of the court but still, improve. :)

goldenlox
May 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I think Aga is ready for a slam semi. This is as good a chance as she's going to get.
She handled the Miami final well, so it shouldnt be nerves. No reason she cant be a part of the final 4 at majors.
She belongs in there

Sisyphus
May 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Some of Aga's shots were amazing :worship:
Although it wasn't that pleasant to watch, Venus looked rather dejected at times :sad:

Craig.
May 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Vinas, have you no pride? That was pathetic :sad:

Aga, to her credit, was very solid.

Simugna Help
May 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Venus. :hug:

Aga you played good but you didn't have to do much. Quit the lobs & keep slicing it leaves you less exposed or just lob against Kuzzy we know she'll smash them out of the court but still, improve. :)

If Aga serves like today she should be safe against Sexlana. Seeing as Sveta had troubles holding serve today she probably will also have them against Aga. But then you never know, it's their 13th match so Sveta might come up with some effective plan.

Mixal
May 30th, 2012, 08:28 PM
:yawn: NID after her little sister lost. Lamb. I'm glad that I wasn't able to watch it.

Oh well, onto Palermo and Baku now.

TennisArt
May 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Aga is the absolute perfect candidate for the title at Roland Garros and I think she is the next tennis superstar. Which is good because she is a nice, sweet, innocent girl.

Simugna Help
May 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Aga is the absolute perfect candidate for the title at Roland Garros

I don't think so, clay really doesn't suit her game. She won't be able to overcome Azarenka for sure as she reads Aga's game like a book. Maybe she could scrape a victory against other semifinalist though and meet some notorious choker in finals though.:angel:

winone23
May 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I hope you feel better soon Venus!

J4m3ka
May 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just being on the court is the biggest victory Venus could ask for tbh. Was quite sad when I saw her signing the autographs, smiling and waving at the crowd. Looks like she isn't sure whether she will ever play at RG again :sad:

Can't take much from the match as Venus was understandably playing at about 5% of her capacity, and Aga is in the form of her life. Aga chased down some incredible gets, defended well and played to her strengths. Is she in the same part of the draw as baby Anci? Should be an interesting match.

PetraReeMona
May 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Can people please show some respect to Venus.

Venus is an icon and one of the most important players in tennis history. She raised the bar and her impact transcends the game. She knows she is not fully fit and she knows she hasn't won a slam for a long time. But she is still doing what she can and her fans love her.

Well done Aga, a class act and I love her style of tennis. Good luck to her.

Fantastic post and it said everything I was thinking. :worship:

Go rest Venus and kick ass at Wimbledon (as long as it's not Petra's :lol: )

Well done Aga, another one who's a joy to watch and she's just getting better and better and better. Would love either you or Kvitty to win it :cool:

gmak
May 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
sad to watch Venus go out like this :sad: :hug:
and her reactions after, reminded me of Amelie's last match at Wimbledon against Dinara :(

Sveta to take out the trash hopefully :scared:

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Urgh, venus decided to kill tennis today, perfect chance for ana ivanovic now... shes the dark horse, someone send this pusher back to the abyss!

Charlatan
May 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM

:awww: :hug: lovely post

sigh...i should be glad that i missed this match, seeing how people are saying vee's level of play...rest up for wimbledon, vee...i know u can still do it :hug:

congrats aga

Uranus
May 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Obvious result, though some fans kept believing :shrug:

cautiouslip
May 30th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Just watching venus's presser - I've got a lot of respect for her, not looking for excuses just telling it how it is

fede33
May 30th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Never in doubt. :cheer::cheer:
Vinas :hug::hug:

Haters idiots :wavey::wavey:

thrust
May 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM

It should be. At her age it gets much more difficult to play on clay. She is never going to win there anyway. Wimbledon is her only chance to win, or come close, in another slam.

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I think venus may retire at the end of the year... I hope she can win one more title before she goes though.

lenas warriors
May 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Just watching venus's presser - I've got a lot of respect for her, not looking for excuses just telling it how it is

Venus is totally retiring at the Olympics or US Open- the way she was talking about just getting to the olympics! Bit like when Lena D was saying she didnt think she would win a slam in a 2010 Beijing press conf :sad:

DemWilliamsGulls
May 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM

They have had their time and has made us proud. They've dominated ass #1 and #2 won every doubles slam ...this is the time where champions retire. Thats why I don't even get upset when they lose. I still think Serena has a slam or 2 in her, she was just off. I don't think Venus health and mental will outside of Wimbledon will get her a slam. But all in all, they can hang their tennis raquests up proudly when they finish.

Matt01
May 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Just like I predicted :bounce:

Well done, Aga :yeah:

It is a travesty when Venus Williams loses to Aga

Better player won.
Stay pressed.

HRHoliviasmith
May 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Well done, Aga!

Becool
May 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM
i'm feeling sorry for venus. :hug:

and i'm not meaning in a bad way. :(

cescsas
May 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Well I don't know how the tournament can continue without the Williams sisters - thet should cancel it and start again

Simugna Help
May 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Interview with Aga (http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/french-open/2012/radwanska-pomogl-mi-kort_sto3292587/story.shtml)
About the match:
-I played well from the very beginning. I served not bad. And actually it was better for me that this court is a bit slower than court 1 where I played my first match. It helped when her serve was always flying 190 or 180kmph. The result of this match looks well, but it wasn't easy as she was fighting till the very end and I don't know what would happen if I didn't win that final game, it was 51 and the suddenly it became 53.

About playing Brussels:
- I don't feel tired after Brussels as I didn't lose a set there. I had a free week before that after losing first match in Rome. That's why I think it wasn't a bad move, and I have another title. Even if I were to lose early here, it's not because I played Brussels as I feel well.
- I haven't lost a set in Paris yet. That's good, because from third rounds on it's mostly seeded players from top 30. There are no wild cards or people from outside top 100, every round is going to be tougher and tougher.

About playing Kuznetsova:
- Is 13[th match] going to be lucky for me? We'll find out. H2H is negative, but so is against Venus. We used to play against each other frequently, but H2H is not important. Every match is different. A lot has changed since our last meeting and the surface here is favorable for me, I think.

About Ula playing Petra:
- It's difficult to talk about any tactics against Petra, just like about any other player from top 10. I think Ula has a bigger chance to win here than on eg. hard court. Ula is playing well and I hope she can compete with Petra and succeed. It's important because this tournament decides about her appearance at Olympic Games.

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Aga played a great match today, just saw it on replay and enjoyed her performance, she was impressive :cheer:. Venus has played better matches than this one for sure but she kept on fighting and deserves credit for that :yeah:. Some of the points she won were pure class, unfortunately for her there were not enough of those.Venus showed very good sportsmanship with the handshake as well.

If Aga plays like today she should be able to make a deep run here.

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 10:59 PM

congratulations venus, for giving such an inspirational fight in all of your comebacks, not everytime were gonna be succesful, but you showed enough trust in yourself and that matters at the end of the day, people can say whatever they want, as its easy to be sitted in a chair rather than fighting a disease.. on to wimbledonThis one deserves to be repeated :yeah:.

DemWilliamsGulls
May 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Well I don't know how the tournament can continue without the Williams sisters - thet should cancel it and start again

Sad thing is that I didn't even see them play their first few matches, now I know I wont be watching the rest lol. I almost forgot who won the Australian lol...anyway good luck to the rest of the girls...

rnwerner
May 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Finally Radwanska can handle good opponents in early rounds of Grand Slams rocksolid. I remember her losses to Cetkovska and Kerber last year, I remember her ugly win against Peng two years ago.
And now with her difficult draw, I'm happy to see her playing VERY solid tennis.
I hope she can win in two against Kuznetsowa as well and finally (!) reaches a Grand Slam semifinal.

Good serve, good tactics, good attacking shots.

Radwanska in very good shape.
Bruxelles was the right decision... it seems.

HippityHop
May 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Serena's loss was an upset. Venus' loss was not an upset.

Whenever the higher seed wins (as they should) it's not an upset.

Craig.
May 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Beautiful post.

Malva
May 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM
From Tignor's blog:

Venus was a step—or two, or three, or four—slow from the start. She struggled, and often failed, just to catch up to Radwanska’s returns of serve, and Aga is hardly the biggest hitter on tour. The first set was over in 28 minutes, and Venus’s best moment was a stare that she flashed at Radwanska after the Pole passed her with a sharp running forehand. Aga was very good from start to finish. In the second set, she came up with a scrambling lob winner from the front of the court, and lofted another from the baseline to reach match point.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/05/laughing-to-keep-from-crying.html

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Just saw a picture of them at the net, nice exchange both smiling, its nice to see, just like virginie and serena last night, even in defeat they can be gracious.

The Dawntreader
May 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Venus is spent at RG, has been for years, but it was sad to see her bow out so rapidly. Never got any kind of momentum going. Had a big chance to break back at 1-2 first set, and carelessly threw them away. Unravelled rather quickly after that, and Radwanska started gradually coaxing out errors and out-playing her ultimately.

Radwanska's serve was well-placed throughout, scrambled terrifically and neutralised Venus's serve throughout. Some lovely acute angles consistently going back behind Venus and keeping her off balance. Credit where credit is due, very solid and efficient performance.

Venus must be so relieved to have a whole summer of grass-court play now. It's her last stand.

Drake1980
May 31st, 2012, 12:19 AM
She played so well!

new-york
May 31st, 2012, 12:54 AM
I am so not ready for our time to be over, Venus.

Aga played some of the inspired tennis that won me over few years ago. Please keep winning. I really like her demeanor.

Glad to see some people crediting Venus for hanging in there. It is tough. But she loves tennis. Loved her smile at the end. She knew.

dsanders06
May 31st, 2012, 01:07 AM
By the way, is it too optimistic to hope the raucous support the crowd were giving Venus when she made her mini-comeback at the end of the match will put to rest the Willytards' paranoia that the French crowds are racist?

Brad[le]y.
May 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
WD Aga :)

Venus :awww: you're favorite part of the season coming up :cool:

vesanto
May 31st, 2012, 01:25 AM
:) It's all coming to an end, hopefully Venus gets to Wimbledon as fit as she can be. No one is expecting anything from her (I am not at least). Hopefully she can afterwards retire in peace, fully conscious that she gave it all.

razzer
May 31st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Venus OVERRATED. My signature says it all. :p

Malva
May 31st, 2012, 01:44 AM
Watching the replay with Dinara Safina as the commentator. I can't recall anybody in any language providing such an informed, illuminating commentary. Excellent!

WeiWei
May 31st, 2012, 01:47 AM
Oh, Vee, you just can't lose to that vulture....

Papillon.
May 31st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Serena's loss was an upset. Venus' loss was not an upset.

Whenever the higher seed wins (as they should) it's not an upset.

I agree with you in that this was not an upset, but the highlighted part is blatantly untrue.

fede33
May 31st, 2012, 01:59 AM
Aga first win of the Philippe Chatrier :kiss::kiss:;)

18majors
May 31st, 2012, 02:00 AM
It's an upset anytime Radwanska beat Venus.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 31st, 2012, 02:15 AM
Venus hasn't been a contender for years sadly, but I think Serena's in it. She should be one of the favorites for Wimbledon. Serena 2011-2012 is reminding me of Serena 2008 in coming back from injury and prior to her winning the USO: a lot of hard work, preparation, but nervy losses at the Slams because she wanted to win so bad. But she broke through at that USO finally. Maybe that will be the case for her at Wimbledon?

Anyway, this thread is about Venus/Aga. I was proven silly for thinking Venus would win this. If she played the way she did the last few games, she could have. But woke up from her slumber too late. It's maybe too much to ask Venus to be strong enough for an entire three-set match against the likes of Aza, Shara, and Aga. Petra was different because she does a good job spraying errors and beating herself, like Venus back in her heydays.

I agree about 2012 Serena is like 2008 Serena. She will breakthrough. She just has too and I kinda feel that she will too. As for Vee, I've accepted her game now. Her dad always said she is very stubborn and she won't quit until she feels like it. Venus has so much self belief that she can still win. Maybe one more, but that's just me hoping she can win one more slam. I didn't see the match, but I'm sure Aga did what she did to Vee in Madrid or wherever she lost to her previously. I'll be sad when Vee and Serena decide to retire, but I know they will retire on their own terms.

Linguae^
May 31st, 2012, 02:36 AM
No words, this boring bitch is too much with her wins.

C2S
May 31st, 2012, 03:02 AM
This "boring bitch" happens to be one of the most entertaining WTA players since M. Hingis. Deal with it.

gmokb
May 31st, 2012, 04:00 AM
Sad but not surprising. I wish they had entered for doubles as well, at least I would have something to look forward to.

PetraReeMona
May 31st, 2012, 04:25 AM
This "boring bitch" happens to be one of the most entertaining WTA players. Deal with it.

:yeah:

Lord Choc Ice
May 31st, 2012, 04:32 AM
This "boring bitch" happens to be one of the most entertaining WTA players since M. Hingis. Deal with it.
:haha:

Lord Choc Ice
May 31st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Vee how could you? :mad:

mirzafanindia
May 31st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Vee:sad:if Vika can trash that idiot 6 times this why not you???
Its just so sad to see a CHAMPION like Venus losing to Radwanska and the scoreline:oBut Vee so sweet at the handshake always smiling:)

The Kaz
May 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM

:spit:

Legend wouldn't waste her saliva on this peasant.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 31st, 2012, 05:05 AM
It's hard to except, but I'm sure Venus will retire this year. Just her whole body language and demeanor on court screams DONE. So hard to let go, I hope she can have one last run sometime this year to go out with some dignity.

awsk8er
May 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Its just so sad to see a CHAMPION like Venus losing to Radwanska and the scoreline:oBut Vee so sweet at the handshake always smiling:)

:facepalm:

the better Aga plays the more hostility on here. some people really cant think logically.

awsk8er
May 31st, 2012, 07:08 AM

pathetic:help:

robertz30
May 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM

Mirza - she is such a idiot.

SELVEN
May 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Venus:o

Tenis Srbija
May 31st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Williams sisters out of a Grand Slam after R2 :rolls: When did that happen before? :scratch:

bandabou
May 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
The melancholy of knowing that the career of your favs is slowly but oh so surely nearing it's end. It's been good/great and know we live with the not so great parts. Keep doing your thing Vee!

Caipirinha Guy
May 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Williams sisters out of a Grand Slam after R2 :rolls: When did that happen before? :scratch:

French Open 2011 - both didn't play. :oh:

Johnbert
May 31st, 2012, 09:10 AM
qf aga vs. angie would be interesting :lick:

chuvack
May 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM
Later, bitches.

Caipirinha Guy
May 31st, 2012, 09:38 AM
@:lol: at Mats Wilander saying that Aga reminds him of Francy Schiavone. :help:

Juanes
May 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Aga :yeah:

TeraByte
May 31st, 2012, 10:45 AM

You both should be banned from this forum. This level of abuse is clearly beyond standards.

Shvedbarilescu
May 31st, 2012, 10:53 AM
You both should be banned from this forum. This level of abuse is clearly beyond standards.

Disagree. Posters like these are a dime a dozen. They are what they are and they don't disguise their complete lack of knowledge or their unpleasantness. I would agree that they bring absolutely nothing of worth to this forum but that's life. If one started banning every poster like these where would one stop? Simply that's not the way forward. Much better just to give posters like these the occasional bad rep to let them know they aren't appreciated and be done with it. :)

tennismaster8820
May 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Venus :sad:
It was sad to see such great player playing so poorly.
She actualy reminded me of Lucic. :o
Wanting to play on level which she obviously isn't capable of now.

Radwanska did what she had to do, hopefully not everyone will gift matches to her.

longtin23
May 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM
How many UEs did Veuns made, when she can hit a ball properly, she will win, but definitely not this case yesterday...

robertz30
May 31st, 2012, 11:17 AM

I agree. But it says a lot about this people . They are probably non thinkiing kids.

robertz30
May 31st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguae^
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirzafanindia
Veeif Vika can trash that idiot 6 times this why not you???
Its just so sad to see a CHAMPION like Venus losing to Radwanska and the scorelineBut Vee so sweet at the handshake always smiling

I wonder what administrator says about this?

RyanGuy
May 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
sexy aga

Simugna Help
May 31st, 2012, 11:25 AM

I agree. But it says a lot about this people . They are probably non thinkiing kids.

I wonder what administrator says about this?
Well I think you should not pretend to be backseat moderators. If you don't like a post, use the report button on the left panel and do not litter the thread with messages about banning people. :facepalm:

Malva
May 31st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Well I think you should not pretend to be backseat moderators. If you don't like a post, use the report button on the left panel and do not litter the thread with messages about banning people. :facepalm:

They do not 'pretend' to be moderators: they are just responding to worthless abusive posts. And yes, the moderators do very little if anything to address the flood of worthless abusive posts filling up nearly every thread of the GM section now.

Simugna Help
May 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Complaining about quality of discussion does not raise the quality itself. :shrug: Surely scrolling through crap posts can be tiresome, but it's even worse to read those that pick up the bait.

mirzafanindia
May 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
I just used used the word Idiot..maybe i was thinking too much about Vee's loss..maybe its wrong..i'm sorry
But how many times have the Bitch and F word been used in this very forum???

awsk8er
May 31st, 2012, 01:03 PM
I just used used the word Idiot..maybe i was thinking too much about Vee's loss..maybe its wrong..i'm sorry
But how many times have the Bitch and F word been used in this very forum???

strange logic. people do all kinds of stupid things everyday, but it doesnt mean we need to follow them. just think before you post.

HippityHop
May 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
I agree with you in that this was not an upset, but the highlighted part is blatantly untrue.

Nope. The higher seed is supposed to be the better player. That's why they are seeded higher.

<snip>
This one was not exactly an out-of-nowhere upset, considering that Williams is ranked 53rd now, never has been as good on clay as on other surfaces, lost to Radwanska 6-4, 6-1 two months ago, and is learning how to be a professional athlete with Sjogren's syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can cause fatigue and joint pain.

Still, the meek way Williams departed was striking, considering that she has been ranked No. 1, has appeared in 14 major finals to Radwanska's zero, and from 2008-10 won 10 of the 11 sets the two played against each other.

"I don't know if I ever asked myself, 'Why me?' I mean, obviously it's frustrating at times. I don't know if there's anything mental more I can do at this point, but there's a lot of stages to go through with this kind of thing," said Williams, whose fastest-in-the-game serve was broken five times Wednesday. "There's a lot of people who have it a lot worse than I do. I'm still playing a professional sport, so I have to be very positive. And I'm going to have ups and downs. I haven't gotten to the 'Why me?' yet. I hope I never get to the 'Why me?' I'm not allowed to feel sorry for myself."

It's hard to know, however, how much energy she'll have from one day to the next.
Whenever the alarm goes off, Williams starts to find out what the next 24 hours will be like.
"Every morning is different. Some mornings, I don't feel great, then it's a better day than I thought it was going to be. I can't automatically be discouraged. When I wake up, I just have to see how it goes. Sometimes I get a second wind," she explained. "It's just so hard to know."

Williams revealed her diagnosis in late August at the U.S. Open, when she withdrew before her second-round match. She skipped the Australian Open in January, before returning to the tour in March in a bid to earn a berth on the U.S Olympic team. Spots are awarded based on rankings — the top 56 get in automatically, with a maximum of four per country, so Williams should be OK.

The rest:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/venus-williams-joins-serena-1449024.html

Banditoo
May 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Q. Did the thought cross your mind at all that you might not play again on that court or at this tournament?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Me, no. With my ranking now, I'll definitely get in next year.
No, not at all. This is just the beginning for me. This is a process that I have to learn a lot from, you know, working with myself, with my doctors, everything. Like this is the beginning for me again. I have to be positive. I can't walk out on the court and say, Oh, my God, this is it. That's not the way I see it.

C2S
May 31st, 2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/misc/f_05-30-Radwanska-Agnieszka02.jpg

Shvedbarilescu
May 31st, 2012, 09:39 PM
Q. Did the thought cross your mind at all that you might not play again on that court or at this tournament?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Me, no. With my ranking now, I'll definitely get in next year.
No, not at all. This is just the beginning for me. This is a process that I have to learn a lot from, you know, working with myself, with my doctors, everything. Like this is the beginning for me again. I have to be positive. I can't walk out on the court and say, Oh, my God, this is it. That's not the way I see it.

Venus :bowdown:

Incredible attitude, simply incredible. I know loads of posters a saying she should retire but I definately want to see her back next year and hopefully next year she will be seeded have a better draw too.

TennisAddict84
May 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM
fan or no fan, tough not to feel for Venus after watching this:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7991909

:sad:

rucolo
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM
Well done, Aga! :D:banana:

Shocking easy scoreline. Head To Head now 2-0 this year :devil:

Smitten
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM

She is not even 1% of Legend.

2Black
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
As this first set against Kuznetsova has shown, unless you make a ton of errors as Venus did with 33, Radwanska is still a pusher. Her game is no better. Kuznetsova won 6-1 because she didn't give Aga much. It's a joke Aga is #3

Calypso
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry Vee, you will have another chance :-)

Infiniti2001
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Venus :bowdown:

Incredible attitude, simply incredible. I know loads of posters a saying she should retire but I definately want to see her back next year and hopefully next year she will be seeded have a better draw too.

Indeed! I say let those who hate her fester in their hatred :lol: Venus has always done Venus = [on her own terms] and that's what I love about her...

Papillon.
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Nope. The higher seed is supposed to be the better player. That's why they are seeded higher.

No, they are seeded higher because they are ranked higher, and seedings are determined by rankings. The WTA ranking system is not used as an objective guideline as to which player is better than another, and only serves as a general guideline as to how good a player might be. The higher seed is never 'supposed' to be the better player because the rankings are not 'supposed' to be a clear guideline as to who is better than who. An upset involves the player winning who is less likely to win, and that is nowhere near synonymous with 'the lower-ranked player winning.'

Please explain to me why, for example, prior to just recently, Wozniacki possessing a higher ranking than Serena indicated that she is 'the better player.'

HippityHop
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
No, they are seeded higher because they are ranked higher, and seedings are determined by rankings. The WTA ranking system is not used as an objective guideline as to which player is better than another, and only serves as a general guideline as to how good a player might be. The higher seed is never 'supposed' to be the better player because the rankings are not 'supposed' to be a clear guideline as to who is better than who. An upset involves the player winning who is less likely to win, and that is nowhere near synonymous with 'the lower-ranked player winning.'

Please explain to me why, for example, prior to just recently, Wozniacki possessing a higher ranking than Serena indicated that she is 'the better player.'

Well, let's not say the "better" player necessarily. But the higher seed "should" win. It's called living up to your seeding.

If Serena had played Wozniacki and lost it would not have been an upset because Serena is lower ranked. Deal with it.:)

Papillon.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:26 AM
Well, let's not say the "better" player necessarily. But the higher seed "should" win. It's called living up to your seeding.

If Serena had played Wozniacki and lost it would not have been an upset because Serena is lower ranked. Deal with it.:)

You're delusional. :lol:

Slamlesswanska
Aug 8th, 2014, 11:16 PM

Your fave is an inspiration. :hug: It`s really amazing that Venus went from matches like she played against Aga that year to coming for top20. She plays great at times in 2014 and shows her fighting spirit. :worship:

edificio
Aug 8th, 2014, 11:17 PM

:)

Asus
Aug 8th, 2014, 11:25 PM

You really think so :confused: