PDA

View Full Version : Applauded Shots

Potato
May 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I think it's totally fine if a player never applauds (I've never seen Wozniacki or Venus applaud a shot), but I do think it's a nice gesture to make. I think applauded shots are even more impressive because these are tennis PROS giving credit - that means they truly understand the difficulty of making that shot, not like some simple spectators that haven't played tennis in their life.

WeXvUnK_eFU

10:18

UVmHmLhTlCs

00:24

S-BmrazJxbM

6:10

tsRiKRtaVDY

2:53

asm0vRxDoiQ

4:04

nM3iJOjDCpU

9:02

6i1bD3fnzvw

6:34 and 7:34

yes i like to watch serena play :)

ElusiveChanteuse
May 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
:lol: A Serena-related thread I see.:oh:

Well, of course it's nice but it depends.:shrug: Has Masha ever applauded any shots?:oh:

pancake
May 30th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I remember Pennetta does it a few times as well. In her match against Kvitova last year I think.

Potato
May 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
:lol: A Serena-related thread I see.:oh:

Well, of course it's nice but it depends.:shrug: Has Masha ever applauded any shots?:oh:

I don't think Serena gets enough credit for sportsmanship :shrug: So yes I had a hidden agenda :oh:

Masha needs to maintain her robot exterior so she doesn't applause her opponent or anything like that :shrug:

JJ and Svetlana like to applaud a lot but it seems they do it on some easy shots (I know JJ will only applaud if she's ahead a break or something :lol:)

Marlene
May 30th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I think it's totally fine if a player never applauds (I've never seen Wozniacki or Venus applaud a shot), but I do think it's a nice gesture to make. I think applauded shots are even more impressive because these are tennis PROS giving credit - that means they truly understand the difficulty of making that shot, not like some simple spectators that haven't played tennis in their life.

Nice thread.

Serena's applause does seem an itty bit automatic, but even so it's certainly a nice gesture. And I like that she does it no matter if she's ahead or behind... and, geez, she even applauded the evil hand-woman!

As for Venus and Wozniacki, I think there's a bit of a difference. Venus almost never shows emotions on court - no applauding, no fistpumping, no nothing. Basically, she doesn't cheer her opponent but she also doesn't cheer herself. Wozniacki does a bit of fistpumping/kamans, though I've also seen her recognise great shots occasionally (like with a smile or a wave). But some players only cheer themselves and that just doesn't sit well with me.

L'Enfant Sauvage
May 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think in the Lordrena-Satantine Wimbledon 2007 match, the Goddess also applauded one of her opponent's shots.

vozas
May 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I don't think Serena gets enough credit for sportsmanship :shrug: So yes I had a hidden agenda :oh:

Masha needs to maintain her robot exterior so she doesn't applause her opponent or anything like that :shrug:

JJ and Svetlana like to applaud a lot but it seems they do it on some easy shots (I know JJ will only applaud if she's ahead a break or something :lol:)

Omg right? I've seen Svetlana applaud some basic DTL winners plenty of times. Maybe she's just checking the sound her racquet strings make and not really applauding? She's russian after all :oh:

Roookie
May 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Serena applauded a lot of Justine's "lucky" shots.

Jimmie48
May 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I think some players don't do it because they're so focused and into their own match.

What I find much worse is players not having the courtesy to apologize for net cord balls or repeated tossing while serving.

borrowedheaven
May 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Clijsters does it a lot too.

tennis-insomniac
May 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Has Masha ever applauded any shots?:oh:

I only saw once in the exo match against Wozniacki :lol:

Balltossovic
May 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Ana does it all the time. Even did it when Dinara saved a BP in the FO final with a passing shot DTL after a great long rally.

dreamgoddess099
May 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM
yes i like to watch serena play :)

Yeah, me too because even when she's losing she really lets you in. I'm thankful for the many victories over the years, I'll go watch some now.

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I have heard venus say good shot on many occasions, schiavone another one who says good shot.

The Dawntreader
May 30th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Can't recall Venus ever applauding good shots, nor Sharapova (but I'm probably wrong). Seles, Saint Sin, Kuznetsova and Serena were/are always very acknowledging of opponent's good shots.

I used to always love Graf's nod of the head when expressing praise, and Navratilova's and Evert's 'YEP' when their opponent hit a great shot. Davenport had that phrase too.

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM
A thread where Jankovic is GOAT. :tears:

Potato
May 30th, 2012, 11:10 PM
A thread where Jankovic is GOAT. :tears:

76rBCxmgKVI

9:05

JJ applauds volleys a lot because she personally knows how difficult it is to volley :sad: cost her a lot of matches lol

Charlatan
May 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM
serena usually applauds some terrific shots, which is great to see...

a few clips that i remember

664HFmSgE3c @ 7:53

p0IW-n-zXbQ @ 15:11

P0ckHXOkLlM @ 4:49

Cp6uja
May 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM
All Serbs do that (Jelena, Ana, Novak, Tipsarevic)!
That is not coincidence, because in our sports tradition even exist some kind of "creazy" theory that making very good/attractive moves is bigger point of sport than beating opponent - which btw coast so many times in past ours teams and players in many sports. So our athletes maybe is not best examples of players which give big credit to opponent who beat them - but for some extraordinary move they will always give them big credit. I notice similar mentality in cases of French players with African origins (Monfils and Tsonga, Noah in past).

Petkorazzi
May 31st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Never understood why players do that. :shrug: It's about as fake as the "sorry" after hitting a netcord winner. Like anyone's really sorry. :lol:

Jajaloo
May 31st, 2012, 07:29 AM
JJ applauds a lot because she doesn't know how to play tennis and is fascinated at how well others do it.

duhcity
May 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
JJ applauds a lot because she doesn't know how to play tennis and is fascinated at how well others do it.

:lol:

But I completely disagree with your OP. Players applaud great, but not spectacular shots, all the time. All I saw was that Serena is rather courteous when her opponent hits great shots

vozas
May 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

Empress also knows how much it means to peasants to be recognized by someone like her :worship: so generous and thoughtful from her :inlove:

vozas
May 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Davenport used to "yep" and "too good" a lot IIRC

Steven.
May 31st, 2012, 08:45 AM

omg hahahahaha

Tenis Srbija
May 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
All Serbs do that (Jelena, Ana, Novak, Tipsarevic)!
That is not coincidence, because in our sports tradition even exist some kind of "creazy" theory that making very good/attractive moves is bigger point of sport than beating opponent - which btw coast so many times in past ours teams and players in many sports. So our athletes maybe is not best examples of players which give big credit to opponent who beat them - but for some extraordinary move they will always give them big credit. I notice similar mentality in cases of French players with African origins (Monfils and Tsonga, Noah in past).

Are you sure you are from Serbia? That's no where near the truth...

C. W. Fields
May 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, the only applauds I remember in Caro's matches are from the other side of the net.

koJzyMsOARM

86CeNvO8vRc 12:05

l0Bkg3noJxo 5:55