PDA

View Full Version : Bring back one player and retire another from Generation Suck

Kworb
May 30th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Generation Suck is anyone younger than Ivanovic.

Whose early retirement would you undo and who would you get rid of? How much would it improve the tour?

Generation Suck players currently in top 50:

Azarenka
Radwanska
Kvitova
Wozniacki
Kerber
Cibulkova
Lisicki
Goerges
McHale
Pavlyuchenkova
Barthel
Wickmayer
Suarez Navarro
Halep
Pervak
Hercog
Erakovic
Cirstea

Retired, chronically injured or sick Generation Suck players:

Golovin
Vaidisova
Szavay
Kleybanova
Bacsinszky

Stonerpova
May 30th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Bring back: Vaidisova
Retire: Azarenka

Tenis Srbija
May 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Bring back Golovin in shoooort shorts, retire whoever.... :oh:

SAISAI-GOAT
May 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Golovin back ... Aga retire :lol:

actually you can retire the whole Generation Suck if you bring back Peak Pierce or Peak Seles :awww:

zigga
Bring back: Vaidisova and Golovin :hearts: I really miss those two.
Retire: I don't know. Pervak is the worst player so I say her:shrug:

jasonbloom
Nicole back, Aga retire

Queenpova
May 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Bring back: Golovin

nfl46
May 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Retire: Wozniacki

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I quite liked safina... so maybe bring her back and chaky and retire the polish pushers please.

Shafanovic.
May 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Retire: Azarenka and Aga
Bring Back: Golovin and Vaidisova :inlove:

Pops Maellard
May 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Retire Aga.
Bring back Nicole.

pierce85
May 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I see that the 16 year olds of the forum already posted in this thread

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
The more the merrier. I'm cool with bringing back them all back but especially Tati, Alisa, Agnes and Timea, these four I do miss. Can't think of a player I really dislike enough that I wish they just totally disappeared. I wouldn't even wish that on Wickmayer or Lisicki. I would be pleased if Azarenka didn't kick Radwanska's butt what seems like every single week but even so, I wouldn't want her to just vanish from the tour.

The simple truth is this generation doesn't have nearly as many elite players as did the amazing Williams generation that is now fading into the distance. But what this generation does have is depth. It might not have a many great players but it has a lot of good players, probably more than any preceeding generation. That would be it's one saving grace. Hence we need every decent player on the tour we can get right now whether they are a "ballbasher" a "pusher" or whatever. So I don't actually wish for anyone to go away. I do however wish for more players to join the party.

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
In : Nicole
Out: Petra

@Maria fans wanting Vika to retire. I can see why that would be convenient for you :).
Hope Timea returns anyway.

BlueTrees
May 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Bring Back: Safina
Retire: Wozniacki

Joana
May 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I don't miss any of those.

Irute
May 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I don't want to retire anyone, but are we sure that none of the players are coming back? I'd hope that some of them will.

Cosmic Voices
May 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Retire: Babyfat

awsk8er
May 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I quite liked safina... so maybe bring her back and chaky and retire the polish pushers please.

:facepalm: if you are going to hate them , then hate them beacuse of their play and not their nationality. and for your information Wozniacki is not even Polish, only her parents are.

Julian.
May 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Bring back: Vaidisova & Golovin
Retire: None

miffedmax
May 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Bring back the Divine Dementieva that all might bask in the reflected glory of her sublime perfection.

Retire no one.

SELVEN
May 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM
bring back: Henin Capriati
retire:Radwanska Azarenka

Vincey!
May 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Retire Radwanska
Bring back Vaidisova

Shivank17
May 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Bring Back: Vaidisova :crying2:

Retire: Queen Vulture.

miffedmax
May 30th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Darth Vika. Your hate only makes her stronger.

vozas
May 30th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Bring back Vaidisova :worship:

Get rid of the useless vulture. It's not gonna do anything memorable in its career

I like Victoria, don't understand why my fellow Pova fans wanna get rid of her. She's the best of the worthless crop.

vspak
May 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Bring back: Chaky, Safina, Henin
Retire: Azarenka, Sharapova and other bitchyvultures like these two girls

Shivank17
May 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Get rid of the useless vulture. It's not gonna do anything memorable in its career

I like Victoria, don't understand why my fellow Pova fans wanna get rid of her. She's the best of the worthless crop.

This. Apart from her fake injuries/tanking, she is quite like-able.

Shivank17
May 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Bring back: Chaky, Safina, Henin
Retire: Azarenka, Sharapova and other bitchyvultures

some people can't read the title it seems. *GENERATION SUCK Players*

and bitch vultures? you must be the first Aga fan who wants Aga to retire. :unsure:

duhcity
May 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
What it really should be is retiring a player who has a dominant or positive h2h with your fave and bringing back a player who has a dominant/positive h2h with your fave.

vspak
May 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
some people can't read the title it seems. *GENERATION SUCK Players*

and bitch vultures? you must be the first Aga fan who wants Aga to retire. :unsure:

no no no, you don't understand me :fiery:
bitchyvultures is vuvuzenka and sharapova (but sharapova a little less); true vulturequeen is vuvuzenka/retairenka

:cool:

Viktymise
May 30th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Vaidisova, Golovin, Karatantcheva etc. aren't part of Generation Suck. They all came to prominence at the same time, if not before, Ivanovic.

vozas
Vaidisova never played Maria :sobbing: I would've loved to see that match-up

vozas
no no no, you don't understand me :fiery:
bitchyvultures is vuvuzenka and sharapova (but sharapova a little less); true vulturequeen is vuvuzenka/retairenka

:cool:

Do you know what "vulture" means?

Trickle
May 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Vaidisova, Golovin, Karatantcheva etc. aren't part of Generation Suck. They all came to prominence at the same time, if not before, Ivanovic.

THIS.

I am tired of people not understanding that the TF term 'Generation Suck' was inspired by Caro IIRC and it was coined in like 2009, before I was a registered member and just a lurker. There was a changing of the guard in terms of tennis generations in 2008-2009 after Henin retired and young players started to break out, those young players were then given that term. So any players that rose to prominence before 2009 around that age bracket can't actually be part of 'Generation Suck' just because they share the same birth year. Alot of them were on their way out by that time.

It makes me wonder what would that Generation be called if Nikki had actually won a few Grand Slams at her peak? I mean she was so close, that choke to Sveta in 2006 FO :help:.

Viktymise
May 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
THIS.

I am tired of people not understanding that the TF term 'Generation Suck' was inspired by Caro IIRC and it was coined in like 2009, before I was a registered member and just a lurker. There was a changing of the guard in terms of tennis generations in 2008-2009 after Henin retired and young players started to break out, those young players were then given that term. So any players that rose to prominence before 2009 around that age bracket can't actually be part of 'Generation Suck' just because they share the same birth year. Alot of them were on their way out by that time.

It makes me wonder what would that Generation be called if Nikki had actually won a few Grand Slams at her peak? I mean she was so close, that choke to Sveta in 2006 FO :help:.

As you say, Generation Suck came into fruition in 08/09, and intially described all the crappy pushers/underpowered players who were then making the transition from juniors to seniors - i.e, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Cornet and Azarenka.

I like to refer to the Vaidisova generation as Generation Lost, as the players who belong to that generation have either almost completely disappeared or are in terminal suckitude.

blainec
May 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Jamea Jackson, Ashley Harkelroad, Cory Avants

Chip.
May 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Bring back : Nicole
Retire : Aga

silverwhite
May 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Bring back : Golovin or Vaidisova. Maybe Golovin, if I had to pick one

Retire : Wozniacki, by far :oh:

Joe.
May 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Bring Back: Vaidisova/Golovin
Retire: Any, other than Vika

Miracle Worker
May 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Only Vaidisova used to be relevant from those players from your list. It doesn't make sense to replace one less relevant girl with another.

vspak
May 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Do you know what "vulture" means?

and you know? :rolleyes:

Trickle
May 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM
As you say, Generation Suck came into fruition in 08/09, and intially described all the crappy pushers/underpowered players who were then making the transition from juniors to seniors - i.e, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Cornet and Azarenka.

I like to refer to the Vaidisova generation as Generation Lost, as the players who belong to that generation have either almost completely disappeared or are in terminal suckitude.

Terminal suckitude. :lol: Generation Lost, that's right... I read that somewhere. I think people are using hindsight 2020 too much because in 2004-2007 there was a lot of promise for this generation (definitely much more then there is for 14-15-16 year old nowadays)... Golovin was the flag bearer with preban Karantacheva, Vaidisova and Misa marching behind her. The others were just into the distance. Then it all crumbled. And the rest is history.

lenas warriors
May 30th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Bring back Szavay and retire Wozniacki! :wavey:

LUVMIRZA
May 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Retire: Agatha
Bring back: Nikki

TheKid!
May 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Retire: Pervak (I hate Radwanska, but I must admit that she brings something new to WTA :))
Bring Back: Vaidisova :awww: She could have won a few slams for sure.

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Funny that you acknowledge a "generation lost" but can't get over the idea that establishing yourself on the WTA at an early age can be detrimental to having a long term career. The fact that all these players who you refer to as being "generation lost" were not able to maintain their careers after establishing themselves on the tour is undeniable. There are many others young player burnout stories too, the Paszeks, Krajiceks, de Britos. And yet you'd rather see all these as a coincidences. Hmmm...

Viktymise
May 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Funny that you acknowledge a "generation lost" but can't get over the idea that establishing yourself on the WTA at an early age can be detrimental to having a long term career. The fact that all these players who you refer to as being "generation lost" were not able to maintain their careers after establishing themselves on the tour is undeniable. There are many others young player burnout stories too, the Paszeks, Krajiceks, de Britos. And yet you'd rather see all these as a coincidences. Hmmm...

Who said they were coincidences?

Vaidisova - Stopped giving a shit about tennis at some point in 2008 when she realised that competitive sport wasn't what she wanted to do with her life.

Golovin - Injuries.

Karatantcheva - 2 year doping ban. Her game had significantly deteriorated by the time she returned to competition, and the damage that the lay-off had done to her game was irrevocable.

Krajicek - Slumped dramatically after Wimb 08 and never recovered, but she was overrated to begin with anyway. Terrible ROS, crap defense and poor reflexes.

Paszek - No serve, not athletic enough, doesn't have enough firepower required to make her game successful at at more than a top 50 level for a consistent period of time in today's game.

De Brito - No serve, no brain, no defense. Got figured out pretty quicky and is currently stuck in 25k challenger limbo.

Try harder.

PetraReeMona
May 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM

^^

This x 100,000

Aryman3
May 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM
The more Aga proves she's top class player; no pusher and no vulture; the more she's hated and attacked on this Forum
Why? Because compared to her tennis most of your favs play look ordinary and primitive
So don't hestitate to attack. I treat it as a hidden compliment to her greatness and proof of your helplessness

Smith Saybrook
May 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Retire Barking Kvitova and bring back the true bashing queen Mary Pierce :D

Laura_VeeFan
May 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Retire: Radwanska/Azarenka
Bring Back: Vaidisova :hearts:

J4m3ka
May 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
The more Aga proves she's top class player; no pusher and no vulture; the more she's hated and attacked on this Forum
Why? Because compared to her tennis most of your favs play look ordinary and primitive
So don't hestitate to attack. I treat it as a hidden compliment to her greatness and proof of your helplessness

Yeah, some of the stuff people say about Aga is not always deserved. She tries to make stuff happen on the court, and makes the most of her strengths. I'd say that most of the time she knows what she wants to execute but can't pull it off due to a physical gap, like when she tries to hit a hard FH DTL. Quite the opposite of Wozniacki, although I haven't watched her much this year except vs Serena (when she was admittedly going for more :shrug:)

Temperenka
May 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Retire: Wickmayer, Pervak (the least likable and the least talented of the top 50, respectively)

Bring back: Vaidisova, Golovin

Stevecw
May 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Retire: Vika

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Who said they were coincidences?

Vaidisova - Stopped giving a shit about tennis at some point in 2008 when she realised that competitive sport wasn't what she wanted to do with her life.

Golovin - Injuries.

Karatantcheva - 2 year doping ban. Her game had significantly deteriorated by the time she returned to competition, and the damage that the lay-off had done to her game was irrevocable.

Krajicek - Slumped dramatically after Wimb 08 and never recovered, but she was overrated to begin with anyway. Terrible ROS, crap defense and poor reflexes.

Paszek - No serve, not athletic enough, doesn't have enough firepower required to make her game successful at at more than a top 50 level for a consistent period of time in today's game.

De Brito - No serve, no brain, no defense. Got figured out pretty quicky and is currently stuck in 25k challenger limbo.

Try harder.

Have there been any players since Sharapova and Kuznetsova who broke through at 16 or 17 who managed to maintain a career on the WTA tour afterwards without sinking into the abyss? :shrug: It's been almost ten years.

ranfurly
May 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
How about go and listen to some Bob Dylan, and realise the Times they are changing..

We all love nostalgia, but get with the times.

Welcome1
May 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM
To bring back Hingis to see how Azarenka would wipe the floor with her.

FedererBulgaria
May 30th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Retire: Aga
Bring back: ( Hingis and Henin <3 )

marineblue
May 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Retire: Azarenka, Radwanska

Charlatan
May 30th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Nicole back, Aga retire

Retire Aga.
Bring back Nicole.

retire:Radwanska

Retire Radwanska
Bring back Vaidisova

Get rid of the useless vulture.

Retire: Agatha
Bring back: Nikki

Retire: Aga
Bring back: ( Hingis and Henin <3 )

Truly the WTA Fan Favorite :inlove:

Cajka
May 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Bring back: Vaidisova and Hingis

Retire: Stepanek

égalité
May 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Bring back Golovin :hearts:

Retire Crapstea

CameronCopper
May 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
In: Ms. Stepanek
Out: Extremely Injured

homogenius
May 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM
back : Golovin
retire : wozniacki

Malva
May 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Truly the WTA Fan Favorite :inlove:

Yes, a favorite of true fans of tennis — not of class-less hard-pressed fanboys.

iPatty
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Yes, a favorite of true fans of tennis — not of class-less hard-pressed fanboys.

We can always count on you when we need an elitist prick tennis purist. :worship:

Charlatan
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Yes, a favorite of Polish fans of tennis — not of class-less hard-pressed fanboys.

Agree

joão.
May 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Just bring back Nicole :hysteric:

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yes, a favorite of true fans of tennis — not of class-less hard-pressed fanboys.TF should never be confused with true fans of tennis, different worlds really :).

Malva
May 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
TF should never be confused with true fans of tennis, different worlds really :).

It's always worth reminding this basic truth, as this may be useful for casual visitors to the forum or recent members.

Brad[le]y.
May 30th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Bring back: Vaidisova and Hingis

Retire: Stepanek

His two fiancées :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
May 30th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Nicole back, Aga retire

Retire: Azarenka and AgaBring Back: Golovin and Vaidisova :inlove:

Retire Aga.Bring back Nicole.

Retire RadwanskaBring back Vaidisova

Retire: AgathaBring back: Nikki

Retire: AgaBring back: ( Hingis and Henin <3 )

Retire: Azarenka, Radwanska

Mob mentality at it's very best. Isn't communal hatred a beautiful thing. :inlove:

Let's all join in now and be part of the gang.

Corswandt
May 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM
We can always count on you when we need an elitist prick tennis purist. :worship:

That's it - you're off the list for the much coveted invitation to the Malva Appreciation Society.

DeliriousPotato
May 30th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Wozniacka for Vaidisova, obvs

Mynarco
May 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Bring back : Golovin
Retire : Wozniacki

Queenpova
May 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
why do people want aga retired when wozniacki is the BAD version of aga, at least aga pushes with variety, wozniacki pushes with the same shots all the time

Rest Maria!
May 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Radwanska, Azarenka and Wozniacki made an excellent transition from juniors to seniors (IIRC all made top 10 around 19th birthday) and are far from burnt out - they seem to have a few healthy years ahead of them. If a youngster's career is properly managed it should be fine. Now the real problem is that there's like 2 teenagers in top 100, none of them on a trajectory to hit top 10 anytime soon.

why do people want aga retired when wozniacki is the BAD version of aga, at least aga pushes with variety, wozniacki pushes with the same shots all the time
Aga is more successful atm. Not to mention that the idea of wanting someone to retire is just :smash:

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Back: Vaidisova. :tears:
Retire: Anyone but the people on my sig.

Berlin_Calling
May 30th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Would love to have Vaidisova, Golovin and Szavay back. Wouldn't mind giving up some of the irrelevant lower ranked players such as Erakovic or Pervak. I'd say Radwanska but she keeps things interesting and I also wouldn't have anyone to root against :devil:

The Kaz
May 31st, 2012, 03:02 AM
Bring back: Nicole Vaidisova

Retire and banish: The Vulture

Dav.
May 31st, 2012, 03:11 AM
Back: Golovin
Wouldn't retire anyone.

Brad[le]y.
May 31st, 2012, 03:52 AM
Back: Safina (no pun intended)
wouldn't retire anyone, they all bring something to the table :D

Drake1980
May 31st, 2012, 07:33 AM
bring back: hingis
retire: azarenka

LoveFifteen
May 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Bring back Golovin! :sobbing:

Please go away, Vika A! :hysteric:

Tenis Srbija
May 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM
No one wants Brie Whitehead back :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Steven.
May 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
i just wish we could bring back nicole and tati :sad: both are so pretty and have a nice game.

Joelina
May 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
bring back Vaidisova
retire Aga

Raiden
May 31st, 2012, 02:58 PM
What revisionist wishful gibberish is this, Kworb?

Savay, Golovin and Vaidosova were all top-200 mugs by the time they retired cuz they themselves came to the conclusion that they sucked (and concurrently assumed that their fortunes would not improve in the future).

I'd rather support someone like Screampova (or even Ivanovic™) who at least have had the guts to stay positive thru the bad times and have the belief in themselves that things would get better.

Gilas.
May 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Bring back: Jankovic
retire no one

Marcus1979
May 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Love to see Davenport from the early 2000s in this era. I know its impossible but would of been interesting :devil:

pov
May 31st, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'd bring back Henin. I'd keep all of the current generation.

NeKo
May 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Retire: Radwanska

RG Freak
May 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
I wonder what's the name of the current 18-20 years old generation. Generation Nonexistent?

Trickle
May 31st, 2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder what's the name of the current 18-20 years old generation. Generation Nonexistent?

Yep. Pretty much. :hysteric:

RG Freak
May 31st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yep. Pretty much. :hysteric:

that's pretty sad to be honest. and worrying

CooCooCachoo
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Bring back Szavay :hearts:

Retire Kvitova.

jameshazza
Jun 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
Retire Radwanska. Bring back Tati.

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Bring back: Golovin.
Retire: Suarez Navarro.

That was a very easy decision for me :)

Dav.
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:52 AM
What revisionist wishful gibberish is this, Kworb?

Savay, Golovin and Vaidosova were all top-200 mugs by the time they retired cuz they themselves came to the conclusion that they sucked (and concurrently assumed that their fortunes would not improve in the future).

I'd rather support someone like Screampova (or even Ivanovic™) who at least have had the guts to stay positive thru the bad times and have the belief in themselves that things would get better.

Um, no. Golovin was ranked 12th when she became insufferably injured(chronic spinal injury) and only played two more tournaments after having cysts removed from her spine.

SilverPersian
Jun 1st, 2012, 04:21 AM
I would retire Kvitova because she always beats Sammy :sobbing:

And bring back Szavay because she has a good last name.

Temperenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 07:50 AM
Everyone saying that they would retire Vika/Aga/Caro/Petra is ridiculous when you could retire a useless hag like Pervak. At least the former 4 are all solid top 10 players with the potential to go deep in slam draws. In ten years, the highlight of Pervak's career could easily be her Tashkent 2011 title. :lol:

No need to retire a talented player who contributes to making the WTA a bit more respectable.

Vuvurenka
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Bring back Vaidisova
Retire Wozniacki

Tennis_News
Jun 1st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Retire: Radwanska

Slampova
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Get rid of Aga and bring back Tati/Nicole :inlove:

Smitten
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM
I guess bring back Nicole. The pickings are sparse.

flyingmachine
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'd bring back Henin. I'd keep all of the current generation.

Agree. Justine always makes tennis interesting.