PDA

View Full Version : S. Williams post R1 loss interview

pov
May 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Q. I know you just finished the match and it's hard to describe. Just kind of talk about from 5‑1 in the second set breaker on, what kind of happened there?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I just started making a lot of errors. I mean, the whole match, I just didn't play at all the way I have been practicing.

So, yeah, I just made ‑‑ I don't know how many errors I ended up making, but I haven't been playing like that in the past.

Q. Do you want to talk about the last game? You climbed back to 5‑3. I think five or six break‑point opportunities. Couldn't get over the hump?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I tried. I kept going for my shots which always works for me.

It didn't work out today, but, um, yeah, I just wasn't ‑‑ I made so many errors today which isn't the game that I've been playing in the past. You know, that's it. That's life.

Q. Can I just ask you about the breaker again? Were there nerves? There was that one ball you decided to challenge. I think it was around 5‑3 that you could easily have hit back on the lob. Talk about that.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely was nervous. I'm always a little nervous in every match I play, which I think is a little bit healthy.

So, yeah, I mean, I think it's normal. I was definitely a little nervous.

But, yeah, there's no excuse maybe. I thought it was out, and then it wasn't. So...

Q. Did you sort of feel the match slipping away? Could you talk about that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Um, yeah, no, I never really feel anything slipping away or anything. I just ‑‑ I just felt I couldn't get a ball in play. You know, when I did ‑‑ I just felt like I was hitting late and, I mean, how can you hit late on a clay court? It was kind of odd.

So, yeah.

Q. What was going on in your head in that incredible last game? What were some of your thoughts?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I thought, you know, just staying, get it back to deuce. Then I thought, whatever you do, don't get it back to deuce at one point, couple times.

But that didn't work. I just was thinking, okay, if I could break here, then we'll be back on serve. You know, those are the kind of things that are going through your head.

Q. Did you ‑‑ right at the end of the tiebreaker you grabbed your back a couple times. Did you pull anything? Did you feel anything abnormal?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, no, no, I didn't feel anything abnormal. I was 100% healthy.

Q. I would like to know if you knew about Virginie's story, about her husband who she has lost last year. She's a very special player for us in France. Did you know her story and what do you think of what she did today?

SERENA WILLIAMS: (Smiling.)

That's a bit of an intricate question. I ‑‑ yeah, I know of her story and her husband. We all have stories. I mean, I almost died and Venus is struggling herself. So, you know, it's life. You know, it just depends on how you deal with it. She obviously is dealing with it really well.

Everybody, like Mardy Fish, he's even having trouble. Everybody has something that they're dealing with. You've just got to deal with it.

Q. What about her performance today on the court?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she can give you a better idea than I can. (Smiling.)

Q. At the end of the second set you went very emotional before the start of the serve. What was going through your mind after losing this? Was it anger, frustration?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I just think, you know, always think, okay, let's just try to get a good start to this third set. You know, the match isn't over yet. So that's kind of what I was trying to do.

Q. Everyone has his own nightmares. I'd like to know if Eva Asderaki is one of your nightmares.

SERENA WILLIAMS: If what?

Q. Eva Asderaki, the umpire, because you met her other times.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh.

Q. When see her, is it a nightmare?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, she's not a favorite amongst the tour, but, you know, I was like ‑‑ I don't know. Was she the one that did my US Open last match last year?

Q. Yes.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I just really had a flashback there. (Laughter.)

Interference, replay the point, and I said, (demonstrating with hands up). Same thing what happened to me in New York. I mean, hello, you know. She didn't give me that opportunity, though. She was just like, Interference, point penalty.

So I don't know.

Q. I'm still sort of processing this. We have seen you come into some big tournaments where you're coming off injuries or you haven't had a lot of matches, but how are you going to process this and sort of move on? It's got to be pretty disappointing.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it is disappointing. But it's life. Things could be a lot worse. I haven't had the easiest past six months. Nothing I can't deal with.

Q. Similar question. You had such good clay court season. You've just come off a really tough loss. Can you try and put it in perspective in terms of your hopes for Roland Garros and the clay season?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah. I have to put it in perspective. My Roland Garros so happens to be over.

So, you know, I'm in mixed doubles, so hopefully I can do better, win a match in that event.

So, yeah. Did I answer your question?

Q. Sort of. So you still have high hopes for the rest of the summer, I presume?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, yeah. I've just got to, you know, go back and ‑‑ it's the same thing. You know, just figure out what I did wrong and not do it again, you know, learn from it. I think that's the best thing I can do.

Q. With what he said, maybe five, six, seven years ago, maybe a few years ago you would take losses a lot tougher mood‑wise? You seem to have a lot more perspective. Talk about that and why.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah. You know, I've been through so much in my life, and ‑‑ yeah. I'm not here ‑‑ I'm not happy, by no means. I just always think things can be worse.

crazillo
May 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Don't like how she answered the question about Virgine's coach and boyfriend... Self-centered as always, she believes she lost the match herself. But that's not the whole story, would have liked to see her give a little more credit, too.

flareon
May 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hopes to win a match in mixies, I think she might win the mixed...

Mynarco
May 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM
IIRC there was a code violation before the point penalty last year...was it not?

Ivanovic2008
May 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
She didn't give much credit to Virginie for playing an excellent match and fighting through the death of her husband. Also the interviewer, of all the ways you could of asked Serena about Aderaski you asked if she sees her in nightmares :tape:

Cosmic Voices
May 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, she's not a favorite amongst the tour, but, you know, I was like ‑‑ I don't know. Was she the one that did my US Open last match last year?

Q. Yes.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I just really had a flashback there.

either her brain has imploded or the bitch is trying to push the incident under the carpet :spit:

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Eva is our goddess for Li Na ! nightmare for Maria too please

vejh
May 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
She did violate a code for sure in USO 2011, but Serena will not remember that in her little mind. I wish she would mature a bit faster. She's 30 now...

Jarrett
May 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Don't like how she answered the question about Virgine's coach and boyfriend... Self-centered as always, she believes she lost the match herself. But that's not the whole story, would have liked to see her give a little more credit, too.

If you don't think this match was on Serena's racket... I dunno.. did you watch all the silly errors? Yes her opponent held it together and played well but on a normal day I think Serena wouldn't have balls flying out six feet on a consistent basis like she was the entire match.

Shvedbarilescu
Hopes to win a match in mixies, I think she might win the mixed...

Very much doubt that. I'm betting she will want to be out of RG as quickly as possible. I really don't think she has the stomach to stick out another 8-10 days here.

Israel
Wow I feel really sorry for Serena you know...
This is like the end of an era - first time in her whole career she had lost in a R1 of a slam, and to a player ranked 115!
Don't want to take any credit from Razzano but if Serena played just a little better this would've been in her hands. Too bad, you know.

awsk8er
May 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Very much doubt that. I'm betting she will want to be out of RG as quickly as possible. I really don't think she has the stomach to stick out another 8-10 days here.

This.

pov
May 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Self-centered as always, she believes she lost the match herself.
I've griped about that but I don't see it in this interview. Plus, she did lose this match herself. She could have closed it out in 2 sets easily.

Doully
May 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
She didn't give much credit to Virginie for playing an excellent match and fighting through the death of her husband. Also the interviewer, of all the ways you could of asked Serena about Aderaski you asked if she sees her in nightmares :tape:

Agreed. The tactless clown.

Majority of the interview was good though. Quite honest and not making any excuses.

awsk8er
May 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I dont like the'we all have stories' thing. It seems like diminishing Virginie problems a bit.

Queenpova
May 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM

This.

She almost died? wtf?

homogenius
May 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Q. I would like to know if you knew about Virginie's story, about her husband who she has lost last year. She's a very special player for us in France. Did you know her story and what do you think of what she did today?

That's a bit of an intricate question. I ‑‑ yeah, I know of her story and her husband. We all have stories. I mean, I almost died and Venus is struggling herself. So, you know, it's life. You know, it just depends on how you deal with it. She obviously is dealing with it really well.

Everybody, like Mardy Fish, he's even having trouble. Everybody has something that they're dealing with. You've just got to deal with it.

cold

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
This.

She almost died? wtf?

Please do not laugh, it is immoral for a human being

Queenpova
Please do not laugh, it is immoral for a human being

when did i laugh? :confused:

flareon
This.

She almost died? wtf?

Yes she did almost die last year!

Vespertine69
May 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I can't believe that people are picking fault with this interview... I'm the first to say Serena can be classless at times, but credit where it is due, she is extremely poised and reasonable in these answers given the circumstances. What happened to Virginie was awful, but it isn't Serena's place to gush on about how sorry she is in an interview after losing a heartbreaker... she acknowledges Virginie's story and gives a bit of credit to how she handled herself, I think that's sufficient to be polite.

Drimal
May 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't have harmed her to give Virginie a bit of credit for her huge fight.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
What was she supposed to say about Eva? At the U.S. open it was an immediate loss of point and this time it wasn't until the 3rd time that she as much as warned Virgenie.

Harju.
May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
This.

She almost died? wtf?
Erm, that's because she did. :rolleyes:

I thought what she said was fine. Everyone has problems to deal in life.

The question about Eva though is priceless :lol:

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
well the Virgenie question...she said: Virgenie is dealing very well with it. What else can she say?
Nobody asked her about her OWN story, recovering from the pulminary embolism, no?!

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
:hug: Serena.

Halepsova
May 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM

What an unappropriate quesetion. :rolleyes: I don't know what he expected her to say about Razzano's story. It's totally none of her business. Poor Serena.

Shvedbarilescu
May 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM

Yes, Serena did almost die. Thing is, Virginie Razzano's fiance Stephane Vidal DID die. There is a huge difference between "almost dying" and actually dying. I know Serena has had to experience loss as well, particularly when her sister died and quite understandably following that her tennis career fell off its rails for a couple of years. Shame with all that life experience Serena couldn't have shown a little more compasion.

dynamoRockstarr
May 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
What an unappropriate quesetion. :rolleyes: I don't know what he expected her to say about Razzano's story. It's totally none of her business. Poor Serena.

I can't believe that people are picking fault with this interview... I'm the first to say Serena can be classless at times, but credit where it is due, she is extremely poised and reasonable in these answers given the circumstances. What happened to Virginie was awful, but it isn't Serena's place to gush on about how sorry she is in an interview after losing a heartbreaker... she acknowledges Virginie's story and gives a bit of credit to how she handled herself, I think that's sufficient to be polite.

Totally agree!

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Q. Yes.

Excellent. Dry sense of humour at its best. :haha:

Drimal
May 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM

I agree on that part though. Stupid interviewer should have let Virginie's husband loss out of it.

debby

This. Too bad because the rest of the interview is not bad and classy.

Serena even went in a talk show to talk about her pulmonary embolism, other players have talked about it... they even sent very nice words to her. Serena could have said nice words instead of being self centred.

Oh well.

Kairi
This.

She almost died? wtf?

she did almos ddyue yu jackaz

debby
May 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Like asking other players to say words about Serena's embolism?
I don't see how the "Poor Serena" fits in for that question. Like. Really.

Whatever.

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Serena lost a sister, and survived a disease, and she's there playing, like Virginie, why they didn't ask about that?

They just wanted Serena to lick over Virginie and how sad is to be in her situtation, but guess what, Serena has gone to a lot more. Her answer was honest and fair.

Halepsova
May 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Yes, Serena did almost die. Thing is, Virginie Razzano's fiance Stephane Vidal DID die. There is a huge difference between "almost dying" and actually dying. I know Serena has had to experience loss as well, particularly when her sister died and quite understandably following that her tennis career fell off its rails for a couple of years. Shame with all that life experience Serena couldn't have shown a little more compasion.

I think it's the best answer every player can give after losing a match. You should be happy she didn't say "I couldn't give a damn right now." I mean, who cares about your opponent's story when you just lost?

bjurra
May 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Serena's answer to that particular question was really poor.

Rest of the interview was ok.

bjurra
May 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Serena lost a sister, and survived a disease, and she's there playing, like Virginie, why they didn't ask about that?

They just wanted Serena to lick over Virginie and how sad is to be in her situtation, but guess what, Serena has gone to a lot more. Her answer was honest and fair.

You cannot be serious.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I think it's the best every player can say after losing a match. You should be happy she didn't say "I couldn't give a damn right now." I mean, who cares about your opponent's story when you just lost?

A loss is nothing next to the death of a beloved one. Serena knows it very well.

Look it's just the way she handled that question that bothered me. She didn't even say "It's none of my business" or something, she brought herself, Venus and Fish up so it sounds like "hey everyone has shit in their life, so pls stfu i don't care" . Bad choice of words.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
This. Too bad because the rest of the interview is not bad and classy.

Serena even went in a talk show to talk about her pulmonary embolism, other players have talked about it... they even sent very nice words to her. Serena could have said nice words instead of being self centred.

Oh well.

What players talked about it?!

Serena DID say that Virgenie was dealing very well with the situation. What's more to be said? She doesn't know Virgenie like that to say more about it imo.

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Serena's life story was more tragic .

Racism
Loss of Sister through Murder.
Illness Disease near death.

The fact she get criticism,she's cold hearted, inhuman, make this forum retarded, posters beyond sad, I feel sorry for their parents.

the jamierbelyea
May 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
You cannot be serious.

While they're both brutal and tragic, losing your sister suddenly via murder is such a shock to her system. Whilst I'm not diminishing what Virginie went through, she had time to come to terms with the death of her fiancee/coach while he was alive and say her proper goodbyes.

Not saying it was easy for Virginie at all, but to say something like this at the notion of Serena going through more is a little silly.

Needless to say debating about who has had to endure more loss in her life is silly.

I think it's a silly question to have been asked.

the jamierbelyea
May 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Yes there's a big difference between almost dying and actually dying. Just as big a difference of having the circumstances occur to a loved one or having them occur to yourself. Debating what's more traumatizing is fruitless.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Every time I warm to her slightly, she pulls shit like this :tape: Losing a spouse who you thought you were going to spend your life with is something VERY few people are unfortunate enough to have to deal with, and does not in any way fall under the category of bing something that "everybody has something that they're dealing with" or compare to anything Serena's had in her comparably very easy life.

She'd better hope the French press don't get hold of that quote, because if they do, their treatement of her at next year's RG is going to make the way they treated her today look like Federer-like worship :tape:

Harju.
May 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM
A loss is nothing next to the death of a beloved one. Serena knows it very well.

Look it's just the way she handled that question that bothered me. She didn't even say "It's none of my business" or something, she brought herself, Venus and Fish up so it sounds like "hey everyone has shit in their life, so pls stfu i don't care" . Bad choice of words.
She did acknowledge that Virginie coped with the issue well. What more did you expect her to say? She feels sorry for her?

Serena was pure class during the interview, especially after a tough loss.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM
What players talked about it?!

Serena DID say that Virgenie was dealing very well with the situation. What's more to be said? She doesn't know Virgenie like that to say more about it imo.

All players last year :unsure: They all wished her to be quickly back and they were happy when she came back in Wimbledon.
Yeah when I first read the quote in French, of course they didn't translate that part, so when I read the original quote, it defo looked much less bitchy. I think it was firstly a bad choice of words. It's never easy to talk about it.

But anyway I agree it should have not been brought up. It doesn't make the rest of the interview not classy at all ;)

Serena's life story was more tragic .

I can't stand people who are measuring people's hard moments, as if it was measurable :confused: I think everyone has the right to be scarred. It's not like Razzano broke a nail and was crying about it for days.
Tragic events are not a competition.

donellcarey
May 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
OMG I can't believe some of you.

Virginie lost her husband, she fought back, yea, good 4 her, Serena says that Virginie handles it pretty well.

Serena lost her sister, went through some critical health problem, she's not having a better life than Virginie in terms of tragedies.

And those pressed pova fans (yes, I'm talking to you, Queenpova and dsanders06), quit being an ignorant idiot and try to get to know a little more than your fave, Maria Sharapova is not the only player on tour. Calling others self-centered, do you even have the right to say that?

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
so they should not be asked in first place.

bandabou
Every time I warm to her slightly, she pulls shit like this :tape: Losing a spouse who you thought you were going to spend your life with does not in any way fall under the category of bing something that "everybody has something that they're dealing with".

She'd better hope the French press don't get hold of that quote, because if they do, their treatement of her at next year's RG is going to make the way they treated her today look like Federer-like worship :tape:

Ah please..won't just GO AWAY already?! What you gonna tweet it to them?! :lol: What a sad person you're, man. Get a life!

Kairi
Every time I warm to her slightly, she pulls shit like this :tape: Losing a spouse who you thought you were going to spend your life with is something VERY few people are unfortunate enough to have to deal with, and does not in any way fall under the category of bing something that "everybody has something that they're dealing with" or compare to anything Serena's had in her comparably very easy life.

bis shfut youitr ragadyyyy mofuckn assssss up

Halepsova
May 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Every time I warm to her slightly, she pulls shit like this :tape: Losing a spouse who you thought you were going to spend your life with does not in any way fall under the category of bing something that "everybody has something that they're dealing with".

LOL like Serena cares about how the French treats her.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
While they're both brutal and tragic, losing your sister suddenly via murder is such a shock to her system. Whilst I'm not diminishing what Virginie went through, she had time to come to terms with the death of her fiancee/coach while he was alive and say her proper goodbyes.

Not saying it was easy for Virginie at all, but to say something like this at the notion of Serena going through more is a little silly.

Needless to say debating about who has had to endure more loss in her life is silly.

I think it's a silly question to have been asked.

Yes there's a big difference between almost dying and actually dying. Just as big a difference of having the circumstances occur to a loved one or having them occur to yourself. Debating what's more traumatizing is fruitless.

Thank you. Dear god.

it's like my friends who are ashamed to talk to me about their own issues because "they feel dumb for feeling like that when I am still cheerful after what I have been through", seriously wtf is that shit, life is a bitch to everyone.

Harju.
May 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM

How is it different than Serena losing her sister? Serena also had to deal with that. What Serena said was right. Everybody has their own personal problems to deal with. Whether it's losing someone or having a career threatening injury/disease.

And Serena might have sent her condolences privately. Who knows?

GO李娜
All players last year :unsure: They all wished her to be quickly back and they were happy when she came back in Wimbledon.
Yeah when I first read the quote in French, of course they didn't translate that part, so when I read the original quote, it defo looked much less bitchy. I think it was firstly a bad choice of words. It's never easy to talk about it.

But anyway I agree it should have not been brought up. It doesn't make the rest of the interview not classy at all ;)

I can't stand people who are measuring people's hard moments, as if it was measurable :confused: I think everyone has the right to be scarred. It's not like Razzano broke a nail and was crying about it for days.

Than Serena.should.not be criticise at all, she faced it too, get real. We all lost somebody before. If people want to.criticise something like this.,than let's measure

the jamierbelyea

The French whom had a movie featuring a predominant African-American cast banned? I'm sure this wouldn't be the catalyst.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Okay, I didn't know that. Nice of them. :D
Indeed, it's always akward...talking about stuff like this. Cool. all the best for Virgenie in the tournament.

Vespertine69
May 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Serena's answer to that particular question was really poor.

Rest of the interview was ok.

I know what you mean, but I just don't see it as being a particularly harsh answer. Serena is a proud, single-minded winner type person who just lost a really hard match, I think in those circumstances the question probably just made her uncomfortable to be confronted with such a serious and heavy question when she was trying to keep herself together and not scream "fuck you I lost!!!!" like I imagine a player who loses a match like that secretly wants to. Maybe I read it wrongly, but to me her answer reads like an uncomfortable one and not a mean one. She wasn't able, in that moment, to have a deep and genuine empathic response but didn't want to answer meanly - so what came out was a quite rational/unemotional "life is hard" thing.

Serena definitely can be classless in an interview, I just don't think it is fair to judge her so harshly in these circumstances when it would be unrealistic to expect her to be able to focus solely on Virginie's tough off-court life and not on the fact she just lost a heart-breaker.

Fuzzylogic
May 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I blame the journo for asking the question. I hate when journos ask questions to push you to say something positive about a player from their country.

b2b
May 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
no mention of the peculiar moment at the end of second set when Serena sit to rest and all of a sudden looked miserable right before applying tower to her face.

but most of the people clearly saw that and commentators immediately said she was crying.

guess that's just an expression we mistaken for crying. huh?

bjurra
May 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM
OMG I can't believe some of you.

Virginie lost her husband, she fought back, yea, good 4 her, Serena says that Virginie handles it pretty well.

Serena lost her sister, went through some critical health problem, she's not having a better life than Virginie in terms of tragedies.

Losing your husband/coach/travel partner is very different than losing your sister. Razzano spent 24/7 with her husband, that is not even remotely comparable to losing your sister. I know because I recently did and although I miss her a lot, it doesn't change my every day life.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM
no mention of the peculiar moment at the end of second set when Serena sit to rest and all of a sudden looked miserable right before applying tower to her face.

but most of the people clearly saw that and commentators immediately said she was crying.

guess that's just an expression we mistaken for crying. huh?

She was crying... There were tears....

Than Serena.should.not be criticise at all, she faced it too, get real. We all lost somebody before. If people want to.criticise something like this.,than let's measure

:facepalm:

Suuuuuure I criticized her for having a pulmonary embolism.

NashaMasha
May 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
No credit to her opponent, who almost outplayed her in each set, against who she fistpumped every single winner or every Virginies' error

Sore Loser, really disappointed in her

Vikapower
May 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
:shrug: This is a typical Serena PR.

Beat
May 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM
people in here measuring pain and tragedy ... :facepalm: it's not a competition, you know?

yes, serena's answer does come across as cold, but like fuzzylogic says:
I blame the journo for asking the question. I hate when journos ask questions to push you to say something positive about a player from their country.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
:lol: and the Masha-fans are all over her and in the results thread. Mann!! :lol:

Stamp Paid
May 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
It was a highly inappropriate question for the interviewer to have asked in the first place. Our Lord handled it well.

JN
May 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM

You like 'em humble and groveling, huh?

Charlatan
May 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
i can't at that interview using the word 'nightmare' for Eva :facepalm:

serena answered it fine...typical fussing from GM as usual

b2b
May 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
She was crying... There were tears....

Suuuuuure I criticized her for having a pulmonary embolism.

disappointed

just wanna hear from Serena herself why she cried. assumed that has some bearing on her breakdown at the beginning of third set.

Soliloque
May 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The French whom had a movie featuring a predominant African-American cast banned? I'm sure this wouldn't be the catalyst.

That's not true.

Vamos.
May 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
She did violate a code for sure in USO 2011, but Serena will not remember that in her little mind. I wish she would mature a bit faster. She's 30 now...

Well no actually what Serena said is accurate. Eva awarded the point to Stosur first time when Serena yelled c'mon before the ball was out of play etc. Even though Serena had obv won the point she gave the point to Stosur rather than having a replay.

It's a different situation here BUT maybe you should remember things more accurately in your, obviously smaller than 'little', mind. And you have youtube/google some really good resources, ya know? Serena is talking from memory. #makeitcount?

Kairi
May 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM
fickkkkkkk uuu Debi wuit yoe helin kellur swllff

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Still don't know why a journalist would ask such question.

It's disrespectful for both parties, you're not gonna ask a stranger to comment on a stranger her husband's death.

And again, who the fuck gives a damn about her husband. I care more about kids dying from starvation than adults from cancer.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
fickkkkkkk uuu Debi wuit yoe helin kellur swllff

:lol: :lol:

doomsday
May 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Still don't know why a journalist would ask such question.

It's disrespectful for both parties, you're not gonna ask a stranger to comment on a stranger her husband's death.

And again, who the fuck gives a damn about her husband. I care more about kids dying from starvation than adults from cancer.

I agree that question was not necessary, we all have to deal with tough moments in our life.

Mary Cherry.
May 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Rollo
May 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Don't like how she answered the question about Virgine's coach and boyfriend... Self-centered as always, she believes she lost the match herself. But that's not the whole story, would have liked to see her give a little more credit, too

I cringed a bit on that reply too. Overall though I think she handled herself well. A loss like that, being so close, in front of what I have no doubt was a hostile crowd of frogs (I meant French-and that's a joke-really:))---when all of those things are factored in we need to cut her some slack.

Congrats to Virginie for a well deserved win. And thanks to Serena for making such a fight of it in the third. I only listened to the match on RG Radio and can't wait to see it tonight!

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I love Serena. She does not sugarcoat anything. She is who she is. I understand why many people hate her, but she is honest. If she is self-centered and bitchy, hey that's her. I would love for anyone who criticizes her on these boards tell it to her face.

I don't think she meant to diminish or belittle Razzano's situation, but Serena just lost and we all know how Serena is when she loses. Serena will never be the type to give gracious answers or credit her opponents when she loses.

On to Wimbledon and the Olympics...

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I love Serena. She does not sugarcoat anything. She is who she is. I understand why many people hate her, but she is honest. If she is self-centered and bitchy, hey that's her. I would love for anyone who criticizes her on these boards tell it to her face.

I don't think she meant to diminish or belittle Razzano's situation, but Serena just lost and we all know how Serena is when she loses. Serena will never be the type to give gracious answers or credit her opponents when she loses.

On to Wimbledon and the Olympics...

I think people just fail to understand how hard it is to be positive about your opponent if you really really hate losing.

If I was Serena I probably wouldn't even wanna hear her name, nor try to compliment her, at least she said she did well and congratulated her at the net.

As for the rest, Serena isn't Kim Clijsters, saying the player is her best BFF and then double cross her the next time when it's convenient.

Cajka
May 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
The question about Virginie's husband was completely retarded. Why would they ask Serena about someone's private life?! :weirdo: I really don't know what she was supposed to answer. People obviously expect her to say something sweet about Virginie, but I don't think that they are even close.

She could've given her more credit for her performance, but Serena wasted match points in the second set, so she was obviously pissed.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 29th, 2012, 10:02 PM
The question about Virginie's husband was completely retarded. Why would they ask Serena about someone's private life?! :weirdo: I really don't know what she was supposed to answer. People obviously expect her to say something sweet about Virginie, but I don't think that they are even close.

She could've given her more credit for her performance, but Serena wasted match points in the second set, so she was obviously pissed.

I agree. I'm not sure Serena knew much about Virginie's story until probably after the match. The press knows Serena well, so after a loss Serena isn't going to be the most jovial or happy to answer about her opponents. And true to form, Serena gave an answer that didn't please some of the posters on this board. Serena will be pissed going into Wimbledon. Her serve was ineffective and her footwork was pretty bad (did not set up for shots). The first 3 games of the third was hard to watch. I thought she was just going to give up. Also, it's kind of hard to credit Razzano's performance because she was cramping yet coming up with great shots. Was she injured or was it nerves?

NashaMasha
May 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I really don't know what she was supposed to answer. People obviously expect her to say something sweet about Virginie, but I don't think that they are even close.
She is a "face" of women tennis , she should have been more diplomatic answering this question. But she behaved like "no condoloscence for you granpa death as my grandpa died either 5 years ago"

Kairi
May 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM
fuyckazzzzzzz yalllllll tirtiin sloms}}}}}}}}}}

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 10:15 PM
She is a "face" of women tennis , she should have been more diplomatic answering this question. But she behaved like "no condoloscence for you granpa death as my grandpa died either 5 years ago"

It's none of her business, and it's non of the journalist's business to ask either.

Serena went through a lot more than Razzano ever did, so her answer is justified.

Cajka
May 29th, 2012, 10:21 PM

OK :spit: :lol:

Look, Virginie's fiancee died last year, it was before RG. Isn't it weird that now after 12 months they ask Serena about that? It's rude that they even talk about it now. First of all, they should give Virginie a break ad stop talking and asking people about that already. Second, really what can anyone say about it now except that it's really sad. She said that "you must deal with it" and it's true, no matter how cruel it is, life is short and you must deal with problems asap.

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Give it up people, you bunch of vultures

NashaMasha
May 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM
OK :spit: :lol:

Look, Virginie's fiancee died last year, it was before RG. Isn't it weird that now after 12 months they ask Serena about that? It's rude that they even talk about it now. First of all, they should give Virginie a break ad stop talking and asking people about that already. Second, really what can anyone say about it now except that it's really sad. She said that "you must deal with it" and it's true, no matter how cruel it is, life is short and you must deal with problems asap.

It would be better if she answered "i don't know much about it, anyway it is good for her to keep playing tennis and recovering from it" I mean close this question and not emphasize " i don't care about it as there are much people with troubles and she is not unique......"

Sometimes it is better to be "fake diplomatic" and it was the right time and question to say something , which wouldn't touch Virginies feelings

Malva
May 29th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you for this great interview. She is one tough American woman. I like her honesty and integrity.

matty
May 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Didn't Virginie's husband die last year? Serena almost died last year. Her sister has an autoimmune disease. I think she's got her own battles to fight.

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Losing your husband/coach/travel partner is very different than losing your sister. Razzano spent 24/7 with her husband, that is not even remotely comparable to losing your sister. I know because I recently did and although I miss her a lot, it doesn't change my every day life.

measuring... :help:

Halardfan
May 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
It wasn't a gotcha question, it was reasonable enough.

Cajka
May 29th, 2012, 10:56 PM
It would be better if she answered "i don't know much about it, anyway it is good for her to keep playing tennis and recovering from it" I mean close this question and not emphasize " i don't care about it as there are much people with troubles and she is not unique......"

Sometimes it is better to be "fake diplomatic" and it was the right time and question to say something , which wouldn't touch Virginies feelings

She said that it's all life and that it depends how you deal with it, she said that she thinks that Virginie's doing fine. In the beginning she suggested that it's complicated to talk about it and then she mentioned some things that happened to her, her sister. Unfortunately, that's what happens in life. You can't predict those things. Kleybanova had a cancer few months ago. Young woman, a pro athlete, who would expect such thing?!She's right, we all have stories. :shrug: I fail to understand why you consider Serena a villain here.

ivanban
May 29th, 2012, 10:59 PM

This.

And very strange how Serena didn't mention tragic death of her sister but how SHE almost died :unsure:

Halepsova
May 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I think people just fail to understand how hard it is to be positive about your opponent if you really really hate losing.

If I was Serena I probably wouldn't even wanna hear her name, nor try to compliment her, at least she said she did well and congratulated her at the net.

As for the rest, Serena isn't Kim Clijsters, saying the player is her best BFF and then double cross her the next time when it's convenient.

I doubt if even Saint Kim would come up with a better response in case she's the loser of this match. The time to as such question is totally not right.

Serena was criticized because she had to answer it.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
This.

And very strange how Serena didn't mention tragic death of her sister but how SHE almost died :unsure:

Maybe because it's more recent? :shrug:

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:03 PM

One of my brothers nearly died, and I have been crushed. I can't imagine if he died. It would have been a huge impact on the family. Nothing would have been ever the same again.

Matt01
May 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM
It's none of her business, and it's non of the journalist's business to ask either.

Serena went through a lot more than Razzano ever did, so her answer is justified.

Let's stop with this crap already. :rolleyes:
You don't know anything about what Serena or Virginie had to face in their lifes and it's just pointless to measure and compare it.

I think that the question was stupid and Serena didn't handle it very well, so not much new to see here. Time to move on.

ivanban
May 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe because it's more recent? :shrug:

That brings us again to comparing experience of someone close passed away and "almost died" experience

One of my brothers nearly died, and I have been crushed. I can't imagine if he died. It would have been a huge impact on the family. Nothing would have been ever the same again.

Which exactly makes Ree's answer rather awkward

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Let's stop with this crap already. :rolleyes:
You don't know anything about what Serena or Virginie had to face in their lives and it's just pointless to measure it.

I think that the question was stupid and Serena didn't handle it very well, so not much new to see here. Time to move on.

Perhaps not, but I'm sure Serena's life was tougher, In France you don't duck bullets at the age of 8 on a tennis court.

Zweli
May 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Irrelevent, dumb-founded, unnecessary question to say the list, but Serena dealt it with it superbly ,Lets wait & see how far this Razzanos win of a century reach, I will be looking for her in the finals

supergrunt
May 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Did Serena know what happened to Razzano's husband?

pierce85
May 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Perhaps not, but I'm sure Serena's life was tougher, In France you don't duck bullets at the age of 8 on a tennis court.

Honey she practiced in the US not in North Korea :lol:

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Honey she practiced in the US not in North Korea :lol:

Guess you've never been to compton during that time? It wasn't Disneyland.

The sisters' early training took place on public tennis courts in and around Compton, where they remember having to duck gunfire. Despite this difficult beginning, though, their skills developed rapidly.

ivanban
May 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Irrelevent, dumb-founded, unnecessary question to say the list, but Serena dealt it with it superbly ,Lets wait & see how far this Razzanos win of a century reach, I will be looking for her in the finals

She had a moment of brilliance. Don't be sucha sour grapes :rolleyes:

JN
May 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM
This.

Yetunde Price died almost 9 years ago while Serena faced death only last year. Which do you think would be forefront in your mind if you were her? http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8284/smh2.gif

Mary Cherry.
May 29th, 2012, 11:23 PM

Did you really just play the "my grief's better than your grief" card? :o

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Pathetic post, dear G. :lol: Pain is not measurable.

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM

No.

faboozadoo15
May 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Interviewing Serena after a loss is like pulling teeth. She often won't give a morsel of praise.

The question about Razzano's fiancee is awkward though.

Soliloque
May 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM
People thinking France actually is some kind of paradise :rolleyes: You can live a harsh childhood anywhere. Sadly.

Linguae^
May 29th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I love that answer about Virginie's problems. Problems are problems, don't try to make a commercial out of them.

JN
May 29th, 2012, 11:32 PM

Pathetic post, dear G. :lol: Pain is not measurable.

I take it you two simply missed when it was done here, diminishing Serena's grief, huh?

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I take it you two simply missed when it was done here, diminishing Serena's grief, huh?

Before jumping on my neck, you should have checked before if I didn't condemn it :

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21527824&postcount=96

:bigwave:

Mary Cherry.
May 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Sounds like what Serena did with Virginie's grief.

JN
May 29th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Before jumping on my neck, you should have checked before if I didn't condemn it :

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21527824&postcount=96

:bigwave:

I read that, and where do you say anything about him/her being pathetic and measuring grief? :shrug:

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I read that, and where do you say anything about him/her being pathetic and measuring grief? :shrug:

Because I had no words for how pathetic this post was ? I think my reaction said it all?

Potato
May 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Some of you guys are ridiculous, both have been through really hard times, how could you possible say you'd rather lose your sibling than your husband just to prove that your fave is so much better? It was a bad question, and it was a very classy interview from Serena.

Congrats to Virginie after years of struggling :)

homogenius
May 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM

JN
May 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM

It shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. People have their own lives and issues to be intimately concerned with, not those of their coworkers.

edificio
May 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM

But what she said is true!

Are they expecting her to spend time sympathizing with her at this moment? :shrug:

Seems a silly question, really. Everyone has their struggles.

As for giving Razzano more credit, it looked to me as if Serena played horribly and is therefore concentrating on that aspect of the match.

I do like seeing her be a bit more philosophical about the loss, but I'm not over it yet.:fiery:

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM

It wasn't her business to comment anyway, plus she has a lot of stuff on her mind aswell, she answered well enough.

Serenaluv
May 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Yes, that's what I do when reading your posts. Been reading them for years now, you're still not any smarter.

edificio
May 29th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Wow I feel really sorry for Serena you know...
This is like the end of an era - first time in her whole career she had lost in a R1 of a slam, and to a player ranked 115!
Don't want to take any credit from Razzano but if Serena played just a little better this would've been in her hands. Too bad, you know.

Razzano is better than 115, though. Still, if Serena had played that TB better, well, nothing else to say.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, that's what I do when reading your posts. Been reading them for years now, you're still not any smarter.

Be careful gurl.

edificio
May 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM

No. Death of a sibling is very difficult, and depending on who you are it may change your everyday life. Just because it didn't change yours, doesnt mean that the death of a sibling means less than death of a spouse.

jrollaneres25
May 29th, 2012, 11:51 PM

You'er an idiot:o

A loss is a loss. And it doesn't feel good. Virginie is handling it well, and Serena + Venus is handling things pretty well.

That's all. There need not be anything else read into this:rolleyes:

treufreund
May 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM
That question was totally normal given the fact that Virginie's inspiration and fight in this match were created in great part due to her loss. It would have been horrid not to ask about something so prominent in the drama of how this match unfolded. Serena should have been grateful for this SOFTBALL question. She was given a question that she could have answered EASILY with class and would have shown some growth. But Nope. Once again PRIDE always gets in her way. She reverts to self-centered answers or sarcastic answers or taking credit away from opponents or something else cringeworthy. Expecting more from her at this point is pointless.

Dominic
May 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM

I know :o

DemWilliamsGulls
May 30th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I'm just finding out she lost...how in the hell Serena? lol oh well get ready for Wimbledon or Olympics...which ever one is first lol.

Six Feet Under
May 30th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Dead at Serena turning the Virginie question to talk about herself :sobbing:

M.P
May 30th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I don't whats the problem, people dies one day
Every body has different story that you have to deal with and live on

treufreund
May 30th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I don't whats the problem, people dies one day
Every body has different story that you have to deal with and live on

Such a sensitive, tender heart you have :o:mad:

gmokb
May 30th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Some of you posters need to get a life and stop obsessing about Serena. You supposingly detest her but everything posted about her you feel compel to comment on. No matter what she said you would have found something to bash her on. This was a nice and witty interview.

n1_and_uh_noone
May 30th, 2012, 03:56 AM
All this is surprising because....?

The only interesting bit in the interview is about how Eva is not very popular on tour :oh:.

M.P
May 30th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Such a sensitive, tender heart you have :o:mad:

You don't know my story, if you do you can shut up

pancake
May 30th, 2012, 04:03 AM
You don't know my story, if you do you can shut up

But s/he really doesn't know your story so s/he doesn't have to shut up... Just saying lol.

Si_Hi
May 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM

You should have expected this before you opened this thread... C'mon, it's rena;)

M.P
May 30th, 2012, 04:22 AM
But s/he really doesn't know your story so s/he doesn't have to shut up... Just saying lol.

Thats why there is a IF ;)

pancake
May 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM
BTW, I actually think she handles the questions pretty well.

Raiden
May 30th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Serena was an ass in some of the answers but this time she was clearly led into it by the interviewers.

I guess nowadays journalists are no longer waiting for Serena to say something snippy at her own initiative, they are actively seeking it by tickling her and buttering her up in order to extract that response (e.g. "is Eva your nightmare?" :lol:

dragonflies
May 30th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Serena just came off a shocked tough lose and she didn't try to make any excuses even she probably has some, so why don't you cut her some slack instead of just digging at the negative? What she said was true, that everyone has his/ her own stories. Losing her record of unbeatable in early round of Grand Slam is very tough, Serena must be devastated over that. At this time, she must focus to pull herself together and move on, not the time for her to feel sorry for the one who just beat her.

In post interviews like this, there are always some loud mouth smart asses who are fast to jump in and nitpicking on everything a player said and try to put them under a microscope to find faults. That's a shame and it's very sad.

naranka
May 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM
The point isn't that Serena has had hardships (sure she has, we all do, and to compare the degrees of grief is idiotic), the point is that bringing up her problems when the question was about Virginie, was gratuitous and demeaning of Virginie's loss.

All Serena had to say in reply was: Yes, she had a terrible tragedy and she's pulled through it, so good for her." Instead, she had to turn the subject back to herself, to make herself the center of the universe, as she ALWAYS does. "I almost died." Yes, drama queen, maybe you did, but they weren't asking about you. So what if she almost died? Millions of people have almost died and lived to tell, myself included, and I wouldn't think of turning such a question back to my own suffering. The truth is, Serena is pathologically self-centered (google "narcissistic personality disorder") -- she can't see beyond herself in order to genuinely put herself in others' shoes.

plantman
May 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM
The point isn't that Serena has had hardships (sure she has, we all do, and to compare the degrees of grief is idiotic), the point is that bringing up her problems when the question was about Virginie, was gratuitous and demeaning of Virginie's loss.

All Serena had to say in reply was: Yes, she had a terrible tragedy and she's pulled through it, so good for her." Instead, she had to turn the subject back to herself, to make herself the center of the universe, as she ALWAYS does. "I almost died." Yes, drama queen, maybe you did, but they weren't asking about you. So what if she almost died? Millions of people have almost died and lived to tell, myself included, and I wouldn't think of turning such a question back to my own suffering. The truth is, Serena is pathologically self-centered (google "narcissistic personality disorder") -- she can't see beyond herself in order to genuinely put herself in others' shoes.

Well said!

bandabou
May 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
My wife voiced it best: The question about Virgenie's fiancee was totally unapropriated! Was not the time, nor the moment.

Talula
May 30th, 2012, 07:49 AM
My wife voiced it best: The question about Virgenie's fiancee was totally unapropriated! Was not the time, nor the moment.

This. I thought Serena handled the question well. But the question was ridiculous. How could anyone answer that on the spur of the moment?

Talula
May 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Serena just came off a shocked tough lose and she didn't try to make any excuses even she probably has some, so why don't you cut her some slack instead of just digging at the negative? What she said was true, that everyone has his/ her own stories. Losing her record of unbeatable in early round of Grand Slam is very tough, Serena must be devastated over that. At this time, she must focus to pull herself together and move on, not the time for her to feel sorry for the one who just beat her.

In post interviews like this, there are always some loud mouth smart asses who are fast to jump in and nitpicking on everything a player said and try to put them under a microscope to find faults. That's a shame and it's very sad.

And this.

People are being very harsh on Serena. She's just had one of the worst matches of her life in one of the most important tournaments of her life and she gets thrown these questions. I'd like to see everyone on here coping with that - and actually i see nothing wrong with Serena's responses. They are all pretty accurate and astute.

ivanban
May 30th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Yetunde Price died almost 9 years ago while Serena faced death only last year. Which do you think would be forefront in your mind if you were her? http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8284/smh2.gif

Well, if I would be self-centered as Serena then of course I would only talk about myself :shrug:

crazillo
May 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM

THIS. We have the same thought on this matter.

GoofyDuck
May 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Haters just shut ur mouths, she answered the questions honest and polite.

Go whine elsewhere

Tenis Srbija
May 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Q. Yes.

Interference, replay the point, and I said, (demonstrating with hands up). Same thing what happened to me in New York. I mean, hello, you know. She didn't give me that opportunity, though. She was just like, Interference, point penalty.

So I don't know.

:happy:

Tenis Srbija
May 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM

And why the hell would a sports journalist ask her that in the first place? She just lost a match, should she elaborate on a story she probably doesn't know that much? What was the point of that question? It should be used in a intro to a text about Razzano's win...it was not supposed to be used in an interview with Razzano's opponent. It's always awkward to speak about someone dying, especially someone you don't even know, so she "pulled" herself out of that pretty good. Shit happens.

And I just adore the way you put "myself included" in there. Doing exactly what you're accusing Serena of :facepalm:

Brena
May 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM

Exactly. It was a stupid and inappropriate question to begin with - what was she supposed to say? "Well, in that case I'm so happy Virginie beat me in RG R1"? She's a tennis player not a charity organisation. Considering the state of mind she must have been in after such a shocking defeat, she handled this tricky interview well.

Matt01
May 30th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Haters just shut ur mouths, she answered the questions honest and polite.

Go whine elsewhere

And some posters thought that she handled the question poorly and they can voice that opinion as well if they want to. So don't call these posters haters and tell them to shut up because that only makes YOU look stupid.

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Now why on earth did the interviewer start this train of questioning now :confused:. It might have been asked before the match or at any other time. But to come up with this at a moment when Serena has to deal with herself and a very disappointing defeat is surely inappropriate. Tragic as Razzano's loss is, it's just not Serena's business at this particular moment, and it shows in her answer. Any other answer would have been a bit hypocritical.Thought Serena handled the interview very well overall.

JN
May 30th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Well, if I would be self-centered as Serena then of course I would only talk about myself :shrug:

Not even an answer. But expected. :rolleyes:

And some posters thought that she handled the question poorly and they can voice that opinion as well if they want to. So don't call these posters haters and tell them to shut up because that only makes YOU look stupid.

Shut up, hater! :fiery:

TheKid!
May 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM
She is right, on everything :shrug: Everybody has problems: Serena, Venus, Kleybanova and so on.. this doesn't make Virginie more special than others. I don't like the fact that some people cheer for players just because of their problems, when they didn't have a little feeling for them before.
Very classy statement from Serena. She was healthy, no problems and no false injuries. This was not just her day.
Serena :yeah:

dagamezbest
May 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Bottom Line Serena needs to get her act together and get back to acting like a professional athlete. I think she has been hanging out with the Kardashians too much and needs to get back to focusing on tennis.

Matt01
May 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Shut up, hater! :fiery:

Who? Me? :angel:

Stonerpova
May 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I actually thought this was pretty classy by her standards :shrug:

Mary Cherry.
May 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
And why the hell would a sports journalist ask her that in the first place? She just lost a match, should she elaborate on a story she probably doesn't know that much? What was the point of that question? It should be used in a intro to a text about Razzano's win...it was not supposed to be used in an interview with Razzano's opponent. It's always awkward to speak about someone dying, especially someone you don't even know, so she "pulled" herself out of that pretty good. Shit happens.

And I just adore the way you put "myself included" in there. Doing exactly what you're accusing Serena of :facepalm:

Journalists need quotes. I know many people on here fail to see anything that isn't from Serena's point of view but Virginie's win is a great story. Journalists like to write about great stories. A good quote from Serena would add to the positive perspective a lot of people will see from this match.

It wasn't a stupid question to ask.

Stonerpova
May 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Journalists need quotes. I know many people on here fail to see anything that isn't from Serena's point of view but Virginie's win is a great story. Journalists like to write about great stories. A good quote from Serena would add to the positive perspective a lot of people will see from this match.

Good post.

n1_and_uh_noone
May 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Yes, pretty much. NO matter how you look at it, hers is a sad story and because she is a low-ranked, unassuming type of player, you don't get to read about it. Feel sorry for whatever Serena went through, but I feel like I could write a dissertation on her problems because of all the media coverage it got. No harm in journalists wanting to ask her the question about Razzano.

JN
May 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Please, it was an outrageously inappropriate question to ask.

Mary Cherry.
May 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
BOMBSHELL: There is a bigger picture.

n1_and_uh_noone
May 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Outrageously inappropriate? More so than journalists asking Roddick about retirement and his suckage recently (not his biggest fan FTR)?

Stamp Paid
May 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM
BOMBSHELL: There is a bigger picture.It was a very untimely question.

MrProdigy555
May 30th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Are you retarded? You spend 10-15-18 years with your siblings non-stop, 24/7. Stop comparing the two. It is ridiculous. Especially knowing the IMPORTANCE the Williamses put on family. I'm sure it would be a bigger deal for Serena if Venus died than some guy she was dating or engaged to, but that's just Serena's case. Every person's situation is different, which Serena tried to say.

No credit to her opponent, who almost outplayed her in each set, against who she fistpumped every single winner or every Virginies' error

Sore Loser, really disappointed in her

"almost out played her"? That makes sense. Serena lost this match. Simple as that. I'm sure she doesn't care about your disappointment.

It is not her job to be happy, cheery, and political. She is the face of the WTA because of her passion, power, fight, and talent...not because she can answer a few questions here or there properly. She is an athlete not a politician.

Serena will never win with people like you. She will give an appropriate answer/response and you will always nitpick and say how she SHOULD have answered or how the answer could have been improved, which is ridiciulous. What other players get this kind of treatment? Truly disgusting from all of you, really.

Outrageously inappropriate? More so than journalists asking Roddick about retirement and his suckage recently (not his biggest fan FTR)?

Did you really just compare a question about retirement to a question of death? You must see the stupidity in your post.

There is nothing wrong with Serena's answer. Why should she give a gushing response for the French people to eat up when they just treated her like crap on court? I personally wouldn't entertain them with that. Plus, Serena is right in saying that everyone has incredibly difficult things to deal with in life and she said the bitch was dealing with it well.....that's all you get, fuckers.

JN
May 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Are you retarded? You spend 10-15-18 years with your siblings non-stop, 24/7. Stop comparing the two. It is ridiculous. Especially knowing the IMPORTANCE the Williamses put on family. I'm sure it would be a bigger deal for Serena if Venus died than some guy she was dating or engaged to, but that's just Serena's case. Every person's situation is different, which Serena tried to say.

"almost out played her"? That makes sense. Serena lost this match. Simple as that. I'm sure she doesn't care about your disappointment.

It is not her job to be happy, cheery, and political. She is the face of the WTA because of her passion, power, fight, and talent...not because she can answer a few questions here or there properly. She is an athlete not a politician.

Serena will never win with people like you. She will give an appropriate answer/response and you will always nitpick and say how she SHOULD have answered or how the answer could have been improved, which is ridiciulous. What other players get this kind of treatment? Truly disgusting from all of you, really.

Did you really just compare a question about retirement to a question of death? You must see the stupidity in your post.

There is nothing wrong with Serena's answer. Why should she give a gushing response for the French people to eat up when they just treated her like crap on court? I personally wouldn't entertain them with that. Plus, Serena is right in saying that everyone has incredibly difficult things to deal with in life and she said the bitch was dealing with it well.....that's all you get, fuckers.

All of This.

flareon
May 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
"Was she the one that did my US Open last match last year? I just really had a flashback there." Serena Williams realises that the umpire officiating in her loss against Razzano was Eva Asderaki, whom she berated in the 2011 US Open final.

from BBC :sobbing:

Aaron.
May 30th, 2012, 07:28 PM
BOMBSHELL: Serena just woke up on the right side of the bed! Lets discuss about how she should have woke up on the left and criticize her for favoring her right more! How selfish of her :lol:

Cajka
May 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
BOMBSHELL: Serena just woke up on the right side of the bed! Lets discuss about how she should have woke up on the left and criticize her for favoring her right more! How selfish of her :lol:

It is. All good role models wake up on the left side of the bed. I'm really disappointed.

MisterMan
May 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
This would have been the classy way to answer that question:

"Yes, I knew of her personal situation and it was very sad and my heart goes out to her".

Instead she smiled ? and said 'we all have issues'

LMAO, she is a horrible human being. Imagine Davenport, Venus or Kim saying that?? Never. Serena is an egotistical monster.

MrProdigy555
May 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM

"Yes, I knew of her personal situation and it was very sad and my heart goes out to her".

LMAO, she is a horrible human being. Imagine Davenport, Venus or Kim saying that?? Never. Serena is an egotistical monster.
HAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHA

Exhibit A of ridiculousness.

dsanders06
May 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
How is it a remotely inappropriate question to ask? Do you not think if Venus had beaten Radwanska today, the journalists wouldn't have asked Radwanska for her thoughts on what would've been an incredible win for Venus in her circumstances? Get real.

The fact that Willytards genuinely seem to think normal social rules should be thrown out the window depending on what suits Serena at any given time is astounding :happy:

JN
May 30th, 2012, 08:19 PM

http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif Serena's not obeying my wishes! http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif Why won't she bow down and do as I say? http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif The nerve of her behaving as an individual! http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif I'm right! She's wrong! http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif Why isn't anyone listening to me? http://simplematchfishing.co.uk/yabbfiles/Smilies/waaaa.gif

HippityHop
May 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Serena has to hire me to coach her on interviews.

When she loses her stock answer should always be, "My opponent just outclassed me today. She put so much pressure on me that I couldn't play the way that I wanted. I was simply outplayed today."

When they ask about the number of UFEs her answer should be, "Most of those errors were forced because my opponent was just making shots that kept me off balance. Even my double faults were due to her excellent return of serve."

When they ask about the match being hers to win or lose, she should say, "I don't know where that comes from there are two players on the court and they both have something to say about the outcome."

When she wins a match even if it's a 6-1, 6-0 beat down she should say, "I feel really lucky to have gotten through this match. My opponent played extremely well and the match could have gone either way. I was just really fortunate to get some good luck on the big points."

************************************************** *************************************
That's how she should approach all interviews and let everybody else talk about her game.

Of course that will not satisfy the S%*t F*&ks because nothing will satisfy them.

$uricate
May 30th, 2012, 09:36 PM

I respect her for not lying and pretending she cares :shrug:

I hate fake sympathy.

It's like when there's a tidal wave in Japan or something and everyone acts like they care, only to turn around a few months later and decide not to play Indian Wells because they're scared of a miniscule amount of radiation *ahem*

ivanban
May 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I respect her for not lying and pretending she cares :shrug:

I hate fake sympathy.

It's like when there's a tidal wave in Japan or something and everyone acts like they care, only to turn around a few months later and decide not to play Indian Wells because they're scared of a miniscule amount of radiation *ahem*

If she followed your advise her answer on question about Virginie's husband would've been "Whatever" :o

Suddenly I think her actual answer was perfectly fine :angel:

Aaron.
May 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Some of you are pathetic. You can't say what you would've done because none of you have been in that situation. Serena just lost in the first round of a slam (something that's never happened before) tired as hell from a 3 hour long match and is asked a question about her opponent's husband's death which she does not even know much about. She probably didn't know what to say and didn't want to give any fake sympathy. Serena lost a sister and almost died from a blood clot yet no one gets asked on tour about that in their press conferences.

Is it better if she had just pretended like she really cared? Then maybe some of you could sleep tonight? :help:

Aaron.
May 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I can't believe that people are picking fault with this interview... I'm the first to say Serena can be classless at times, but credit where it is due, she is extremely poised and reasonable in these answers given the circumstances. What happened to Virginie was awful, but it isn't Serena's place to gush on about how sorry she is in an interview after losing a heartbreaker... she acknowledges Virginie's story and gives a bit of credit to how she handled herself, I think that's sufficient to be polite. End thread.

MrProdigy555
May 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Some of you are pathetic. You can't say what you would've done because none of you have been in that situation. Serena just lost in the first round of a slam (something that's never happened before) tired as hell from a 3 hour long match and is asked a question about her opponent's husband's death which she does not even know much about. She probably didn't know what to say and didn't want to give any fake sympathy. Serena lost a sister and almost died from a blood clot yet no one gets asked on tour about that in their press conferences.

Is it better if she had just pretended like she really cared? Then maybe some of you could sleep tonight? :help:
No, because then they would have complained that she was being fake and didn't really care. There is no satisfyng these bitches.

JN
May 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM

They won't be able to sleep until Serena retires... and maybe not even then. :lol:

Aaron.
May 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
No, because then they would have complained that she was being fake and didn't really care. There is no satisfyng these bitches. Let me criticize Serena's every move even though I've decided beforehand I dislike her and find her classless because that makes me feel like I'm a better human being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 :bounce:

StoneRose
May 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM

LMAO, she is a horrible human being. Imagine Davenport, Venus or Kim saying that?? Never. Serena is an egotistical monster.No, that would be the media trained and hypocritical way to answer the question. I like Serena because you always know where she stands from what she says. Not going to bother with the rest of your post.

dsanders06
May 30th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Serena lost a sister and almost died from a blood clot yet no one gets asked on tour about that in their press conferences.

Um, actually, they do. I read the transcripts for most of Maria and Kim's press conferences, and they have been asked over the past year to comment on Serena and Venus's comebacks, and they certainly don't dismiss them and say things to the effect of "boo hoo, everyone has problems". Nor are they so self-centred that they feel the need to draw attention to their own problems that's impacted their career. I would've been right there criticising them with the rest of the board if they had done.

MrProdigy555
May 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
They have history though. This was the first meeting between Serena and Razzano...Serena knows little to nothing about this heffa.

The Dawntreader
May 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I agree Serena could've answered it a tad more gracefully, but it's kind of true. Razzano doesn't deserve to win anymore than anyone else due to her personal loss.