PDA

View Full Version : Serious discussion: Where does Serena go from here?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
OK, I really do want this to be a serious discussion that doesn't get locked, so if all you want to do is post gloating/manic-depressive one-line/one-GIF outbursts, the results thread is thatta way -->

Realistically, where does Serena go from here, and is it legitimate to start questioning if she'll ever win a Slam again?

My thoughts to follow :)

Halepsova
May 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
London, I guess. :shrug:

flareon
May 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Well she goes to wimbledon... he can win another slam I know there is one in there, today was a blib, and a very good opponent, clay is not her surface but she goes into wimbledon fit and having match practise, I personally think she should take a WC to ebourne and try to win a round or two and then go to wimbledon, I do think she can win one though...

CameronCopper
May 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
To her hotel room I would guess.

nfl46
May 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
She lost in a tournament where she hasn't won in 10 years. Its not shocking she lost..maybe bc of first round...but still. She moves on! She'll be okay.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Really dsanders? What's with Masha-fans all pressed about Serena? Just leave the worries for the Serena-fans. Jeez!

This was a tough loss, no need for fans of other players come and act all..

DigitalCipher
May 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
McDonalds

Direwolf
She is still in Mixed

dsanders06
I do think tbh that, when she's gone on streaks in the past 12 months, the ease with which she wins her matches has done her no good at all, because it seems to deceive her into thinking she's playing better than she actually is. Both this claycourt season and in the US Open Series last year. Objectively, she played well, but she wasn't playing THAT well. And then, she decided to tank at her final warm-up tournament for each and seemingly slacked off in practice over the next couple of weeks, judging by the fact that both times, she showed up at the Slams themselves playing much worse. I think she's gonna have drop the God complex and put her nose to the grindstone and actually play a full-time schedule, and not be satisfied after she's just put together one or two good tournaments.

Secondly, I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the fact she seems to be losing her nerve :shrug: It wouldn't be the first time a player has just been more prone to random meltdowns and mental no-shows once they've past 30. In the last 3 Slams running now, she's been visibly (and audibly) on edge in a way she never was in the past.

Realistically, I'd be surprised if she doesn't win atleast one more Slam (just like Graf and Sampras, great players usually manage to get one last Slam win out of them, even if it drains them of all their remaining inner-firepower), but I'd say 2-3 Slams more are her absolute upper limit, because her game just isn't consistently good enough and her nerve isn't as steady to dominate ever again.

serenafan08
May 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
:lol: A Sharapova stan trying to start mess and then preface it by saying it's a "serious" discussion.

Anyways, Serena will be fine. Shit happens. On to Wimbledon, unless she's playing doubles here in Paris.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM
On to Wimbledon..there's still hope.

misty1
May 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM
i think its a little shocking to stop and realize that serena has only made it past the 4th round in 1 of the last 4 grand slams.

jimbo mack
May 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Whatever happens Serena always has that 2002 trophy.. she's already proved she can be a GS champion on clay

Don't expect her to lose 1st round of Wimbledon..like a true champion she is, Serena will be back. And at least she can look back and reflect on winning 2 big clay tournaments..lots of valuable ranking points :)

supergrunt
May 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Her tennis is as good as anybody's but she can't stay healthy and she's not getting any younger. I expect her to play one more year--two if she has some slam success and we're lucky.

flareon
May 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Realistically, I'd be surprised if she doesn't win atleast one more Slam (just like Graf and Sampras, great players usually manage to get one last Slam win out of them, even if it drains them of all their remaining inner-firepower), but I'd say 2-3 Slams more are her absolute upper limit, because her game just isn't consistently good enough and her nerve isn't as steady to dominate ever again.

This is why Dsanders does not annoy me, he/she is realistic, for sure you do not like the williams but you are realistic, and I agree with you 100% unlike some of the other trolls so thank you...

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
i think its a little shocking to stop and realize that serena has only made it past the 4th round in 1 of the last 4 grand slams.

Exactly. It's not just today (though today is the most shocking of the lot), this is 3 Slams in a row where she's badly underperformed expectations (I'll give her a pass for last year's Wimbledon). This is clearly a pattern at this point.

mboyle
May 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM
OK, I really do want this to be a serious discussion that doesn't get locked, so if all you want to do is post gloating/manic-depressive one-line/one-GIF outbursts, the results thread is thatta way -->

Realistically, where does Serena go from here, and is it legitimate to start questioning if she'll ever win a Slam again?

Excuse me, am I in a parallel universe or something? Didn't Serena just beat both the world number 1 and the world number 2 back to back with identical 6-1; 6-3 scores on her worst surface? Does she no longer possess the best serve in the history of the game? Is Wimbledon no longer played on grass?

Honestly, I think Serena could contend for Wimbledon until she was 45 or 50. She's just that good.

Further, one match should NEVER define a champion's future prospects. Pete Sampras spent a full year, maybe two losing to absolute nobodies, and then came out of nowhere to win the US Open.

Yorker
May 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I seriously wouldn't ask this question until after Wimbledon. I will be shocked if Serena is not in that final.

StephenUK
May 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
The thing that was really shattering about this defeat is that there is nothing she can blame it on, it was just a shock out of nowhere. It is clear that since her comeback last year that she is now having mental problems dealing with big occasions in the slams. She won her two tournaments back in the US Open series, swept to the final and then played a shocker v Stosur in the final; she followed that up with her worst Aus Open performance in years, and now her worst ever GS performance after her most dominant clay season ever. I am wondering whether she is getting more nervous now she is over 30, Martina Navratilova always used to say that she was more nervous as she got older. It will give a huge confidence boost to her opponents as they now know that Serena will always be vulnerable in slams, no matter how well she has been playing beforehand. I don't think this means that Serena will never win another slam but I think it must have severely dented her confidence about doing so.

tennisfan5

yeah, I've gotta say that her last few slam results have been puzzling, but considering she's come back from life-threatening stuff, I'd say she's done pretty damn well. I think her loss at AO was most baffling. We'll see what happens at Wimbledon--if she has an early loss there, something definitely up.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Secondly, I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the fact she seems to be losing her nerve :shrug: It wouldn't be the first time a player has just been more prone to random meltdowns and mental no-shows once they've past 30. In the last 3 Slams running now, she's been visibly (and audibly) on edge in a way she never was in the past.

Disagree. She was like this if not worse in 2005 and for parts of 2007 (and Oz 2006). Hell Wimbledon 2005 she was in tears against Angela Haynes.

I thought she stopped with this crying/meltdown stuff when she decided to knuckle down in 2008 but it's come back. I think she's feeling the pressure that she has a limited time to win slams and she wants it too much.

supergrunt
May 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I do think tbh that, when she's gone on streaks in the past 12 months, the ease with which she wins her matches has done her no good at all, because it seems to deceive her into thinking she's playing better than she actually is. Both this claycourt season and in the US Open Series last year. Objectively, she played well, but she wasn't playing THAT well. And then, she decided to tank at her final warm-up tournament for each and seemingly slacked off in practice over the next couple of weeks, judging by the fact that both times, she showed up at the Slams themselves playing much worse. I think she's gonna have drop the God complex and put her nose to the grindstone and actually play a full-time schedule, and not be satisfied after she's just put together one or two good tournaments.

Hmm.. Serena has been playing a full-time schedule, and it's been hurting her. While I agree with you that she has lost a bit of her legendary nerve, I think her problem is that she can't stay healthy because of her game style and her age.

I also agree with you when you say that Serena hasn't been playing nearly as well as her recent success would indicate; this implies that the tour is weak, and honestly, it is. The "God complex" that you bring into the argument, however, is just complete speculation. I think that it was clear that she was injured in Rome and here at the French.

Mary Cherry.
May 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I don't see this happening again to be honest, especially not at Wimbledon or the Olympics.

Gilas.
May 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
She'll be back in Wimbledon, book it. Though it is worrying how her ground game has broken down time and time again in the last three slams (in AO her serve included, but then again she has an ankle injury). Her serve alone should be good enough to carry her to deep runs in Wimby and maybe Olympics. She won Wimbledon 2010 mostly on serve. But she won't win slams if she routinely misses returns or rally shots like she did today.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I don't see this happening again to be honest, especially not at Wimbledon or the Olympics.

I expect her to do better than THIS at Wimbledon for sure, but is it really out-there to question whether her nerve is going to hold together in the QFs or SFs at Wimbledon after the way she's lost in the last 3 Slams in a row? :shrug:

DOUBLEFIST
May 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM
:spit:

Close the thread.

sammy01
May 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM
her nerve is not what it once was, but that happens to all players as they reach 30. she could still serve and hit her way to another slam (most likely wimbledon) but if she doesn't win 1 of the 2 remaining slams this year it will only get tougher next year.

she is still a great great player, who can play tennis only 2 or 3 girls left on tour could ever live with, but she cant deny the aging process.

her best quality was to always hit her way out of trouble in matches, but as i said it takes huge nerve to do that and serena's seems to be crumbling when it really matters.

The Dawntreader
May 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Wimbledon will be the indicator. Possibly make or break.

supergrunt
May 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
If you think about it, Serena has had to be the mentally toughest player of all time, considering how racist and sexist the tennis world is. And then to come back in 2010 and win the Australian Open--immediately following that debacle at the USO--and Wimbledon was simply amazing. But then to be sidelined by a freak accident while playing the best tennis of your career (the foot/glass thing), it must have really upset her.

I think its just going to take some time for her to get her mental toughness back to where it was.

Mary Cherry.
May 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I expect her to do better than THIS at Wimbledon for sure, but is it really out-there to question whether her nerve is going to hold together in the QFs or SFs at Wimbledon after the way she's lost in the last 3 Slams in a row? :shrug:

Not at Wimbledon, no. I still think she's one of, if not the main contender for Wimbledon purely because she's Serena Williams. I'm not a fan but even at 5-0 down in the 3rd today I was half expecting her to win. You can never count her out.

pov
May 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Given that the rest of her clay season was excellent, I don't see how much can be drawn from this one match. Especially since she could easily have won the thing in straights. A shock of course but we'll just have to see how she does in her next event.

homogenius
May 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM
she was never going to win the FO (only her stans believed that)so it's not a tragedy for her and gamewise she's still one of the faves on grass (even more now that she has extra time to be ready for it).I think she'll start to worry if she fails to win either Wimbledon or the OG

mboyle
May 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
SMH at this thread. One bad match, people. Let's not lose perspective.

bandabou
May 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM
age catches up with everybody..simple as that.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
SMH at this thread. One bad match, people. Let's not lose perspective.

For the last time, it's not JUST about this match :facepalm: She lost 3-and-2 to Makarova at the last Grand Slam, in case you've forgotten.

I'm actually surprised people are saying Wimbledon is her best shot tbh. Her ground game just isn't that well-suited to it anymore post-2005 since she changed her game and stopped playing all-out aggressive tennis. At this point, I'd frankly rate Venus's chances of winning Wimbledon a bit higher, and that's not something I ever thought I'd say :lol:

Her best chance by far is still the Australian Open to me.

-NAJ-
May 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
She will win Wimbledon.

Queenpova
Home.
http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

homogenius
I'm actually surprised people are saying Wimbledon is her best shot tbh. Her ground game just isn't that well-suited to it anymore post-2005 since she changed her game and stopped playing all-out aggressive tennis. Her best chance by far is still the Australian Open to me.

If her serve is on it makes her a top3 faves on grass, no matter how the rest of her game is

sammy01
May 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
what for me is most worrying is that last game was really all about razzano. serena played a couple of good match points but apart from that the final game was razzano battling herself with serena down the other end.

at 3-5 final set in a slam serena of old would have imposed her game and will on that game, gone for it, lived and died by the sword.

just think back to a set and 0-4 down vs vika and serena painting lines, she was the complete opposite today. what used to make players really shit themselves against closing a match against serena is she was going to come after you, the nerve doesn't seem there to do that anymore.

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
She goes home

Sammo
May 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
bNlNZ2T9EeY

Calypso
May 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
London I guess...
Whatever happens in the rest of her career, its all gravy. She's done enough to be remembered as an all-time great.
She'll probably have a good run or two and round off her career with (hopefully) a couple of farewell slam wins.

Break My Rapture
May 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Disagree. She was like this if not worse in 2005 and for parts of 2007 (and Oz 2006). Hell Wimbledon 2005 she was in tears against Angela Haynes.

I thought she stopped with this crying/meltdown stuff when she decided to knuckle down in 2008 but it's come back. I think she's feeling the pressure that she has a limited time to win slams and she wants it too much.
Totally agree that this might be the case. That said, she'll bounce back in Wimbledon for sure.

Vincey!
May 29th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Take a couple days of rest than go on to practice on grass :shrug: She needs to forget about this as soon as she can. She'll probably stay around Paris to cheer on Venus but that's pretty much what she should do. She's a champion she'll not be haunted by that for a long time lol.

Laura_VeeFan
May 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM

I agree with RG but for the USO she was actually playing at a high level for the first week, as shown by her performance against Azarenka. I think she peaked during that week, which is the reason for the Stosur loss in the final.

NashaMasha
May 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
She is still better than Generation Suck and on her best surfaces may win 1-2 Slams more ..... In Madrid she has shown that on fast slippery surface she is hard to beat for such weak returners and counterpunchers like Vika / Caro / Aga

Just give Serena blue/green ice and she will beat all WTA even playing on skates. I really don't see anyone except Masha and Petra who will be able to compete with her on fast surfaces , where movement is not so important.

TennisArt
May 29th, 2012, 10:13 PM
This is why Dsanders does not annoy me, he/she is realistic, for sure you do not like the williams but you are realistic, and I agree with you 100% unlike some of the other trolls so thank you...

I too agree

matty
May 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Her next tournament--plus I think she needs to "lean up" just a bit.

jameshazza
May 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Wimbledon will be a telling tale. RG and USO were no surprise because of her implosions in the past there, and she was legitimately injured and moving like a cow all AO.

However, I didn't think that she would ever throw in such a performance or look so mentally unstable in a R1. If she throws in another ridiculous performance at Wimbledon it will make me feel that she's struggling mentally with the prospect of winning more Slams. She's certainly not to be written off yet though, as you said.

Irute
May 29th, 2012, 10:54 PM
From here Serena picks herself up and goes to Wimbledon, Olympics and so on with a couple of stops on the way. She is a great champion and she can do it.

iWill
May 29th, 2012, 11:30 PM
First I must say that after looking at this first round matchup for Serena I knew it was going to be a difficult win for her. The fact that she was playing a veteran player at her home slam and they had NEVER met before worried me...and Razzano delivered as much as Serena mentally let it go in the end of the second. Had she been down 4-1 as opposed to 5-0 she wins that match every time because mentally Razzano had such a cushion Serena was under way more pressure in the first round of a slam then I think she has ever been and couldn't muster up the shots she needed to get back on serve.

At the end of the day Serena plays MD and cheers Venus until she is out. She then goes on to RG and prepares to play on grass. I will be very surprised if this loss isn't the single thing we look back on and explains her runs at both Wimbledon and the Olympics, lets be real its grass and she is easily among the favorites for those titles as well. I think there is some truth in that she is putting much pressure on herself to get more slams. It is clearly all she cares about and she has even stated as much. She is moving to a surface that suits her play style and that is a huge game changer. The mental aspect will return I believe and remember tough losses have always motivated her, she didn't have one on clay so it came at the slam. On to Grass we go!

Zweli
May 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM
That is Serena my dear, she knows exactly where she's going after this,@ 30 she's still the best player of her generation, don't you worry she can lose to the lesser ranked , but will still humiliate whoever she wants, where ever she wants and at anytime. Next stop is Wimbledon

Dominic
May 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Really dsanders? What's with Masha-fans all pressed about Serena? Just leave the worries for the Serena-fans. Jeez!

This was a tough loss, no need for fans of other players come and act all..

:lol: wow someone is on the defensive

AnomyBC
May 30th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Probably the locker room :shrug:

darrinbaker00
May 30th, 2012, 01:55 AM
McDonalds

That joke wasn't funny when I was using it in 2006, and it's even less funny now.

Seriously, all this loss really means is that anyone can be beaten at any time, regardless of how well-prepared he or she is. The real question is, can new dad Bob Bryan keep himself focused for the mixed doubles draw, let alone Serena?

Roookie
May 30th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Serena Williams will win Wimbledon 2012! :worship:

Roookie
May 30th, 2012, 01:59 AM
McDonalds

The 2nd Law
May 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Win Wimbledon. Please.

tennisrules
May 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Serena just had a bad day, all players have those kind of days and this day was just Serena's "turn." If she loses early at Wimbledon, the Olympics, or the U.S. Open then I'd start to worry. Serena rebounds very well, far better than most players.

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Home.
http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

Yes. :haha:

Charlatan
May 30th, 2012, 02:23 AM
McDonalds

Pump-it-UP
Jul 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Bump. :dance:

jameshazza
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Nice bump. :yeah:

I am still curious to see her next few Slams. I am happy for her yet the fact remains she wasn't really convincing except against Petra and Vika. Her win at Wimbledon should give her a lot of confidence but it doesn't stop the clock, so her next few Slams will tell us if that's why she was feeling the pressure or was it just because of her injury. That said I'm not expecting anymore R1 exits.

shoryuken
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:03 AM

Oh my look who was right :oh:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM

how right you were :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:17 AM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

VishaalMaria
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Like a true champion, she gets her shit together and wins Wimbledon.

NEXT.

tennisbum79
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
dsanders had lot of people fooled trying to appear reasonable and measured.

Now go check the other Serena victory threads starting with Wimbledon, and you'll see the real dsanders06.
You'll realize dsanders only wanted serious discussion as long as Serena is down.

His favorite constant one-word post reserved for the WS result threads is "MESS", regardless of the result or quality of play.

Now look for for him to lead this thread to the dogs

Charlatan
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM
:rolls:
Welp, at least dsander didn't delete his thread :oh:

VishaalMaria
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Welp, at least dsander didn't delete his thread :oh:

She is campaigning for TWAT, don't be so naive :lol:

Charlatan
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:30 AM
She is campaigning for TWAT, don't be so naive :lol:

:lol: it's not like he has never failed before, tho
still, dsander :hug:

hotandspicey
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:40 AM
All that pie in dsanders face has blinded him some more. How does it taste d?

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
:spit: Trust the Willytards to not read anything longer than 5 words. If you actually had read it, you'd see I said I was almost certain she had atleast one Slam left in her (although I'll admit I didn't expect it to happen as quickly as Wimbledon), but I didn't expect her to add more than 3:

Given the unconvincing way she won Wimbledon, I stand by my prediction that she won't get more than another 2 Slams from this point, and that her game/nerve is not good enough to ever dominate even at 2009-10 levels ever again :shrug: She hasn't done anything that's proven me wrong yet.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:46 AM

:eek:

I need 6 lottery numbers please! :worship:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM
:spit: Trust the Willytards to not read anything longer than 5 words. If you actually had read it, you'd see I said I was almost certain she had atleast one Slam left in her (although I'll admit I didn't expect it to happen as quickly as Wimbledon), but I didn't see her adding more than 3 more. I stand by everything I said :shrug:

The only thing keeping Serena from 18 slams is injury and if she decides to call it quits early. The ONLY thing. However, I said this back at Wimby 2010 and look what happened. :scared: I totally counted her out after that.

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:05 AM
The only thing keeping Serena from 18 slams is injury and if she decides to call it quits early. The ONLY thing. However, I said this back at Wimby 2010 and look what happened. :scared: I totally counted her out after that.

Honestly, although I'm v opinionated, I've always been fairly unbiased when it comes to actually predicting Serena's results (I freely admit when she's the favourite for a Slam, such as the last US Open and Australian), but I just don't see how people can say that she has another 4 Slams in the bag. Her groundgame simply wasn't good atall at Wimbledon, and she DID rely on her serve - and this isn't a COMPLAINT about that, but it's still true that her serve alone isn't going to win her any Slams other than Wimbledon. And let's face it, the tennis she played at Wimbledon WAS less convincing than the tennis both Azarenka and Maria played to win their Slams this year (*waits for a Willytard to bring up this draw nonsense* :lol: ), so it's not even like Serena can point to a recent unbeatable level of tennis.

And contrary to people saying her recent mental problems will be solved because of the pressure being off after now winning Wimbledon, it just doesn't work that way for players who are over 30 - when Navratilova broke a 2-year drought of Slams to win Wimbledon in 1990, her tendency to choke didn't go away, she just got more and more nervy/inconsistent as her career got on. No-one, not even Serena, can defy the ageing process and what it does to your nerve.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Her 47-4 is probably the best W/L over the past 52 weeks (on 5 titles) and people are still talking about her being on her way out :haha:

----

EDIT: Yeah, I'd like to see ANYONE else boasting a 92% W/L record :spit:

These girls can barely win B2B titles.

mac47
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:16 AM
It's wishful thinking. There is no reason for Serena to think about retiring before age 35, especially with that serve, which could win her Wimbledon several more times.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Her 47-4 is probably the best W/L over the past 52 weeks (on 5 titles) and people are still talking about her being on her way out :haha:

----

EDIT: Yeah, I'd like to see ANYONE else boasting a 92% W/L record :spit:

These girls can barely win B2B titles.

52-4 with 6 titles actually. Stanford 2011 is still on her ranking. :angel:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM

Wrong.

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Honestly, although I'm v opinionated, I've always been fairly unbiased when it comes to actually predicting Serena's results (I freely admit when she's the favourite for a Slam, such as the last US Open and Australian), but I just don't see how people can say that she has another 4 Slams in the bag. Her groundgame simply wasn't good atall at Wimbledon, and she DID rely on her serve - and this isn't a COMPLAINT about that, but it's still true that her serve alone isn't going to win her any Slams other than Wimbledon. And let's face it, the tennis she played at Wimbledon WAS less convincing than the tennis both Azarenka and Maria played to win their Slams this year (*waits for a Willytard to bring up this draw nonsense* :lol: ), so it's not even like Serena can point to a recent unbeatable level of tennis.

And contrary to people saying her recent mental problems will be solved because of the pressure being off after now winning Wimbledon, it just doesn't work that way for players who are over 30 - when Navratilova broke a 2-year drought of
Slams to win Wimbledon in 1990, her tendency to choke didn't go away, she just got more and more nervy/inconsistent as her career got on. No-one, not even Serena, can defy the ageing process and what it does to your nerve.

Oh please. Navratilova and Evert had to deal with Graf and an emerging Seles. Navratilova would've been dominant even in her mid 30ies without those 2 around. She won 5 slams in her 30ies and I'm certain she could've doubled it without those two future all time greats in the mix and IMO, they are the reason why Evert retired.

Even at 35, Evert still had game, but having to beat Seles and Graf to win slams and not to mention her old nemesis Navratilova.

There are no Graf type players in this era.

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Oh please. Navratilova and Evert had to deal with Graf and an emerging Seles. Navratilova would've been dominant even in her mid 30ies without those 2 around .

Red herring. Most of Navratilova's losses after 1990 in Slams didn't come against Graf or Seles, she was choking against plenty of rank-and-file players.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Wrong.

??

Not Vika, Maria, or Aga... :unsure:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM
It's wishful thinking. There is no reason for Serena to think about retiring before age 35, especially with that serve, which could win her Wimbledon several more times.

The main thing is that there's no emergence of any future greats. There's some solid players for sure, but nothing legend like. Hell, even when Graf retired she would've been competing against Capriati, Davenport, Seles, Hingis, Serena and Venus. And, except Hingis, all those players improved as the years went on.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Wrong.

Who's got a better percentage than 92%....

I'll wait

http://dangerouspyt.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/gif-arms-crossed-gif.gif

52-4 with 6 titles actually. Stanford 2011 is still on her ranking. :angel:

I know, but I at least wanted to give them a shot at finding anyone better :haha:

ranfurly
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Where does Serena Go?

She follows the yellow brick road.

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Who's got a better percentage than 92%....

I'll wait

http://dangerouspyt.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/gif-arms-crossed-gif.gif

I know, but I at least wanted to give them a shot at finding anyone better :haha:

Wait a minute, you're not counting the tournaments she withdrew from (because she was scared of losing) as losses?!? :haha: Shows how biased/discredited that stat is. By the same logic, Kim Clijsters has been one of the best players of the past 12 months. :tape:

Counting the 3 walkovers Serena has given in the past 12 months as losses, she is behind Vika and Maria in winning % :wavey:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Wait a minute, you're not counting the tournaments she withdrew from (because she was scared of losing) as losses?!? :haha: Shows how biased/discredited that stat is. By the same logic, Kim Clijsters has been one of the best players of the past 12 months. :tape:

Counting the 3 walkovers Serena has given in the past 12 months as losses, she is behind Vika and Maria in winning % :wavey:

:spit: Since when does a walkover ever count as a loss?

But even so... Serena 52-7, Maria 50-12. Am I missing something??? I'm not even gonna bother checking Azarenka's.

Edit: Actually Maria's 50-13 since she didn't get to take her 3rd beating at the YEC! :D

Edit 2: Since I have nothing better to do. Vika's 60-13. Not a better ratio than 52-7. :eek:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Red herring. Most of Navratilova's losses after 1990 in Slams didn't come against Graf or Seles, she was choking against plenty of rank-and-file players.

Navratilova turned 34 in 1990 and began playing a very limited schedule. She lost to Seles in the 1991 US Open final and again to her at Wimbledon in 1992. Remember, Navratilova began skipping the FO and AO altogether. And you're just looking at anything past 1990. Nav turned 30 in 1986. Even if she hadn't lost to some of those players like Novotna and Capriati in slams, etc., she would've had to face Seles and Graf usually to win the title anyway. You're focusing on a Navratilova past the age of 34 who wasn't even playing a full schedule anymore.

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM
:spit: Since when does a walkover ever count as a loss?

Again, this just shows how distorted this stat is :lol: It's artificially flattered by the fact Serena didn't have the guts to take her losses (I'm assuimg even you aren't deluded enough to think she would've beaten Li in Rome, given her record on real clay this year was struggling past Petrova and the RG debacle).

But yeah, if all you've got is that one barrell-scraping stat to try and prove she's had a better 12 months than anyone, you cling onto it, and try to forget the fact that Vika and Maria didn't lose to any non-top 50 players at Slams (let alone in two Slams running) and weren't bad enough to lose to Slumpniacki :yeah:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Again, this just shows how distorted this stat is :lol: It's artificially flattered by the fact Serena didn't have the guts to take her losses (I'm assuimg even you aren't deluded enough to think she would've beaten Li in Rome, given her record on real clay this year was struggling past Petrova and the RG debacle).

But yeah, if all you've got is that one barrell-scraping stat to try and prove she's had a better 12 months than anyone, you cling onto it, and try to forget the fact that in the past 12 months she's lost to Makarova and Razzano in Slams and is the only semi-relevant name on Wozniacki's winsheet :yeah:

Considering Li Na was a set and 4-0 up against Maria and still lost, what makes you think it'd be impossible for Serena to beat her? And, so what if Serena dropped a set to Petrova who's always dangerous on clay. Didn't Sharapova drop a set against Zakopalova or whatever?

sweetadri06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:43 AM

But yeah, if all you've got is that one barrell-scraping stat to try and prove she's had a better 12 months than anyone, you cling onto it, and try to forget the fact that Vika and Maria didn't lose to any non-top 50 players at Slams (let alone in two Slams running) and weren't bad enough to lose to Slumpniacki :yeah:

You are really bad today dsanders. What's got your panties in a twist? :lol:

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:46 AM

Walkovers have NEVER been viewed as losses ever. To even pretend they have is bullshit. There's no way to count them based on whether or not they were legitimately injured, unless you're going to go and give physicals to any player who gives a walkover to decide which ones to count. You're actually attempting to distort the way statistics are viewed to support your argument.

And EVEN INCLUDING walkovers her W/L ratio is better than Sharapova or Azarenka, did you miss that part? That was your entire argument, that her win/loss ratio was not better because they didn't include walkovers. So if it still is even using your distorted view of walkovers, your argument is wrong. You were wrong, gracefully accept it, end of argument.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:48 AM
You are really bad today dsanders. What's got your panties in a twist? :lol:

Serena just won 2 tournaments. :secret:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Walkovers have NEVER been viewed as losses ever. To even pretend they have is bullshit. There's no way to count them based on whether or not they were legitimately injured, unless you're going to go and give physicals to any player who gives a walkover to decide which ones to count. You're actually attempting to distort the way statistics are viewed to support your argument.

And EVEN INCLUDING walkovers her W/L ratio is better than Sharapova or Azarenka, did you miss that part? That was your entire argument, that her win/loss ratio was not better because they didn't include walkovers. So if it still is even using your distorted view of walkovers, your argument is wrong. You were wrong, gracefully accept it, end of argument.

The funniest thing ever is dsanders lying and saying there was a screen cap proving Azarenka won more points in longer rallies than Serena in their Wimbledon match. The thing is, he made it up. :spit: There was never a screen cap. :haha:

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Stop being facetious. Clijsters has played 3 tournaments in the last year. Serena, Vika and Maria have played 10+. :rolleyes:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:56 AM

:tape: No it wasn't. My main point from like the second post on this topic onwards was not that the stat they were talking about was wrong, it was that it's distorted and irrelevant, because of the fact she gives walkovers all the time and plays such a limited schedule. Or is Kim Clijsters one of the top 5 players of the past 12 months? :haha:

The funniest thing ever is dsanders lying and saying there was a screen cap proving Azarenka won more points in longer rallies than Serena in their Wimbledon match. The thing is, he made it up. There was never a screen cap.

Not being bothered enough to trawl through 30 pages of a discussion thread to find said screencap just to prove something to a troll who was banned last year =/= making it up :hug:

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:58 AM
:tape: No it wasn't. My main point from like the second post on this topic onwards was not that the stat they were talking about was wrong, it was that it's irrelevant. Or is Kim Clijsters one of the top 5 players of the past 12 months? :haha:

Not being bothered enough to trawl through 30 pages of a discussion thread to find said screencap just to prove something to a troll who was banned last year =/= making it up :hug:

They said she has the best winning percentage, your response was "Wrong." You were proved to be wrong. Come again.

And like was mentioned Kim has played a small handful of events, Serena has played a comparable schedule to other players. They never include players who haven't played enough events, that's why they don't include people who played like one event MM event and made the final. You're trying to bullshit again, dsanders.

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:01 AM
:tape: No it wasn't. My main point from like the second post on this topic onwards was not that the stat they were talking about was wrong, it was that it's distorted and irrelevant, because of the fact she gives walkovers all the time and plays such a limited schedule. Or is Kim Clijsters one of the top 5 players of the past 12 months? :haha:

I meticulously re-read that thread and every post and found nothing. You made it up, lied, and got caught troll. Live with it.

Shinjii
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:02 AM
This would sound a lot more reasonable if it wasn't coming from someone who's fave, has well.... under performed for her entire career.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM

In other words, you got caught in an easily verifiable bold-faced lie. AGAIN. :happy:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zgenZn7S1r3tlbto1_250.gif

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:07 AM
They said she has the best winning percentage, your response was "Wrong." You were proved to be wrong. Come again.

And like was mentioned Kim has played a small handful of events, Serena has played a comparable schedule to other players. They never include players who haven't played enough events, that's why they don't include people who played like one event MM event and made the final. You're trying to bullshit again, dsanders.

Now this really is wrong. :lol:
If Kim playing less events than Serena is taken into account, then why would Serena playing considerably less than Maria & Vika not be similarly taken into account. Serena has played 12 tournaments in the past 12 months (not double-counting Stanford) compared to Maria's 16, and Azarenka off the top of my head (the WTA site is not loading for me) atleast as many as Maria or probably more :shrug:
Whatever :lol:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:09 AM
In other words, you got caught in an easily verifiable bold-faced lie. AGAIN. :happy:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zgenZn7S1r3tlbto1_250.gif

You really are fond of that GIF aren't you? :hearts:
But I'm glad you continue to prove how much you aren't like those nasty obsessive mentally-ill Serena-haters you are by...erm... making approx 90% of your posts about either Maria or her fans :tape:

JamieOwen3
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:09 AM
She will win Wimbledon.

You were right:hearts: so you win :) Prize being gloating dust.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76kedN9lt1r61o4v.gif

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Now this really is wrong. :lol:
If Kim playing less events than Serena is taken into account, then why would Serena playing considerably less than Maria & Vika not be similarly taken into account. Serena has played 12 tournaments in the past 12 months (not double-counting Stanford) compared to Maria's 16, and Azarenka off the top of my head (the WTA site is not loading for me) atleast as many as Maria or probably more :shrug:

Girl, Serena has more wins than Maria (52 to 50) and only 8 less wins than Azarenka (60). You think that's possible from an incomparable schedule? You are making me dizzy from all the hoops you are jumping through to avoid just admitting that you were wrong. Serena is on track for what is considered an entirely normal schedule for a top player, Clijsters on the other hand had 16 (SIXTEEN) wins. Your arguments are so disingenuous they are barely a step up from boldfaced lies.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:14 AM
You really are fond of that GIF aren't you? :hearts:
But I'm glad you continue to prove how much you aren't like those nasty obsessive mentally-ill Serena-haters you are by...erm... making approx 90% of your posts about either Maria or her fans :tape:

I've shut my lie detector off for the evening. I'll read what you've written tommorrow when I turn it back on.

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Girl, Serena has more wins than Maria (52 to 50) and only 8 less wins than Azarenka (60). You think that's possible from an incomparable schedule? You are making me dizzy from all the hoops you are jumping through to avoid just admitting that you were wrong. Serena is on track for what is considered an entirely normal schedule for a top player, Clijsters on the other hand had 16 (SIXTEEN) wins. Your arguments are so disingenuous they are barely a step up from boldfaced lies.

Only because Pump-It-UP is counting both this year's Stanford and last year's Stanford into one 52-week period :spit: But that isn't disingenuous atall, huh? :lol:

But whatever, you are clearly correct. Serena is the real #1, I mean all real #1s lose to Makarova and Razzano, right? :shrug:

JamieOwen3
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:17 AM

:hearts: you were also right :hearts: *sprinkles u with gloating dust*

http://i.imgur.com/cX2G6.gif

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Only because Pump-It-UP is counting both this year's Stanford and last year's Stanford into one 52-week period :spit: But that isn't disingenuous atall, huh? :lol:

But whatever, you are clearly correct. Serena is the real #1, I mean all real #1s lose to Makarova and Razzano, right? :shrug:

Didn't Maria lose to Pennetta, Lisicki and Voskoboeva within the last year? Is she the real No.1 too?

You also forget she's 6-0 against Kvitova, Azarenka and Sharapova within that time.

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:22 AM

Even count those out she only has-what?-8 less matches than Maria and still a better W/L record. So she has played all of 10-ish matches less than Maria this season, and you're trying to pass that off as an incomparable schedule. Serena is playing a completely normal schedule for an older top player. You're still jumping through hoops to avoid admitting you were wrong. Maria has played a similar number of matches less than Azarenka, so can her W/L ratio not count either?

So now you're starting in on personal jabs. Ad hominems are the last resort of the beaten. I don't believe Serena is the "Real #1," but something tells me even if she wins the USO you'll still be making excuses and jumping through hoops to support your fraudulent arguments. Because I, unlike you, can actually view this discussion rationally.

ziros
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:22 AM
You also forget she's 6-0 against Kvitova, Azarenka and Sharapova within that time.
Pure fluke

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:26 AM

Because it IS a 52 week period. :rolls: Stanford was held in the last week of July last year. I'm not skewing the facts at all.

Even without Stanford 2011, Serena is 47-4 (47-7 if you go by this walkover = loss rule. :spit:). Maria would be 49-11 (49-12 using your rule). Vika would be 60-11 (60-13 using your rule). Still a better win/loss, and certainly a comparably full schedule.

TheDream
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Pure fluke

Fluke? All of those matches were won in straight sets btw.

shoryuken
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Pure fluke

:spit: she's a combined 19-3 against all 3

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Fluke? All of those matches were won in straight sets btw.

Vika was the only one who was even able to get it to a TB twice, but still got served two breadsticks :haha:

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:58 AM

Maria lost to Voskoboeva last summer. Don't speak, peasant. Don't speak.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Maria lost to Voskoboeva last summer. Don't speak, peasant. Don't speak.

Who is that? Is she a tennis player? :confused:

mykarma
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Oh my look who was right :oh:
Kudos to Roookie. :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:07 AM

She was ranked 135 when she took out GrandSlamPova last summer. Just goes to show, every tennis player has their fair share of bizarre losses! Right, douchesanders?

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:15 AM

:happy:

Kairi
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:17 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m72p8bDg2I1r3gdf8.gif
mess.

tennisbum79
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Are the mods deleting ziros' offensive posts?

I saw them earlier, now I don't

I hope s/he gets a more severe penalty than just a routine ban..

Charlatan
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:21 AM
She was ranked 135 when she took out GrandSlamPova last summer. Just goes to show, every tennis player has their fair share of bizarre losses! Right, douchesanders?

:spit: at douchesanders! Our RenaSlam's creativity is unparalleled :hearts:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Are the mods deleting ziros' offensive posts?

I saw them earlier, now I don't

I hope s/he gets a more severe penalty than just a routine ban..

what did he say? his per usual Serena is on drugs babble? :yawn:

shoryuken
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
what did he say? his per usual Serena is on drugs babble? :yawn:

called her a man :yawn: these trolls need new material.

jameshazza
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:31 AM
called her a man :yawn: these trolls need new material.

Seriously I'm surprised people are even allowed to be banned for that these days. The shit that Sarin stans say about other players doesn't even compare.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Seriously I'm surprised people are even allowed to be banned for that these days. The shit that Sarin stans say about other players doesn't even compare.
wah wah wah..........
iMpXAknykeg

shoryuken
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM

I'm not a mod ask them :shrug:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:38 AM

ohhhhh look who just flew in like batman to play captain save a ***. :rolleyes: It saddens me to see you condoning it. *striking you off list of decent mashabators* wow that leaves like 2. :eek:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM
ohhhhh look who just flew in like batman to play captain save a ***. :rolleyes: It saddens me to see you condoning it. *striking you off list of decent mashabators* wow that leaves like 2. :eek:

Not suprising.....he will defend anything his fellow mashabators come up with....we all seen it before.

jameshazza
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM
ohhhhh look who just flew in like batman to play captain save a ***. :rolleyes: *striking you off list of decent mashabators* wow that leaves like 2. :eek:

Chernobyl-mutant and the numerous Stosur steroid names are more offensive IMO. There's a lot of names people have called Serena on this board that warrant a ban, 'man' isn't one of them.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Realistically, where does Serena go from here, and is it legitimate to start questioning if she'll ever win a Slam again?...
Close the thread.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Chernobyl-mutant and the numerous Stosur steroid names are more offensive IMO. There's a lot of names people have called Serena on this board that warrant a ban, 'man' isn't one of them.

yes, like this is first offense. whatever. bye.

jameshazza
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM
yes, like this is first offense. whatever. bye.

And the names I mentioned are used far more frequently. :spit:
Honestly, you're actually a sane poster, I don't know why when it comes to Maria/her fans that you have to post lame/petty jibes that aren't even funny. You know what I said was right hence another lame comment.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:54 AM
...it's still true that her serve alone isn't going to win her any Slams other than Wimbledon.

NOTED :devil:

This, of course means that if Serena wins ANY other slam, her GROUNDSTROKES were superlative and significant. I'll expect you to be a man and cop to that.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:10 AM
wah wah wah..........
iMpXAknykeg

LOL. :lol: Pretty much.

dencod16
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:17 AM

Well, thinking she was playing better, she was playing brilliantly, her forms was amazing. It asn't a case of winning the matches because her opponent wasn't good enough to beat Serena it's just Serena is too good. I think the thing that hinder her is the pressure, she thinks about it more today than ever.

Aaron.
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I lose more respect for dsanders everyday. How hard is it to say "I was wrong" and move the fuck on? I mean how many hoops can you jump through? :weirdo:

And the whole counting walkovers as losses is beyond :weirdo: What the hell are these people smoking?

Morning Morgan
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:53 AM
How hard is it to say "I was wrong" and move the fuck on?

Very, apparently. Especially with an unjustifiably huge ego.

Aaron.
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I mean everyone can see he was wrong yet he tries nitpick at some other irrelevant crap to downplay the fact that he was proved wrong :rolls:

RVD
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately, that's the world us Serena fans are subjected to whenever dsanders06 posts.

It's like..."Dude, cough up that over sized ego caught in your throat before you chock to death!"

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I lose more respect for dsanders everyday. How hard is it to say "I was wrong" and move the fuck on? I mean how many hoops can you jump through? :weirdo:

And the whole counting walkovers as losses is beyond :weirdo: What the hell are these people smoking?

I think I was a legitimate question to ask when he opened the thread, don't tell me you weren't a lil bit concerned when Serena lost to Makarova and Razzano, I think there was a loss against Woz between the two. That was indeed scary.
But now she is on the right track.

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM
:lol: Ah dsanders. and in the meantime: Masha still hasn't won back to back majors, hasn't won multiple majors in a year..and Serena might well be poised to have a better season than Masha AGAIN. :lol:

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I think I was a legitimate question to ask when he opened the thread, don't tell me you weren't a lil bit concerned when Serena lost to Makarova and Razzano, I think there was a loss against Woz between the two. That was indeed scary.
But now she is on the right track.

Right...and yet nobody made any threads about Masha when she was losing to Kirilenko, Pennetta, Voesko-wathever?! :lol:

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM
:lol: Ah dsanders. and in the meantime: Masha still hasn't won back to back majors, hasn't won multiple majors in a year..and Serena might well be poised to have a better season than Masha AGAIN. :lol:

In 2004, 2005, 2006,2007 and 2008 Maria had a better season than Serena. Things change, and Maria has nothing to be ashamed in this season, things are going quite well for her.
And I don't know why suddenly mentionning Maria in here (a Serena thread) doesn't bother you :help: yesterday you were about to have a stroke in Serena's thread when Dsanders argued about Maria.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Right...and yet nobody made any threads about Masha when she was losing to Kirilenko, Pennetta, Voesko-wathever?! :lol:

Kirilenko happened in 2010 and then she had losses to Henin, Serena and Woz(all these players were favorites for the titles back in 2010). Maria didn't have 2 weird losses in majors in a row that year.
Vostok didn't beat Maria in a major, next.
And the loss to Pennetta was after reaching Wimbledon final.
So again, Maria didn't have two very bad losses in majors unlike Serena but Serena readjusted the shot by winning Wimbledon but at the time the question was legitimate.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM
In 2004, 2005, 2006,2007 and 2008 Maria had a better season than Serena. Things change, and Maria has nothing to be ashamed in this season, things are going quite well for her.
And I don't know why suddenly mentionning Maria in here (a Serena thread) doesn't bother you :help: yesterday you were about to have a stroke in Serena's thread when Dsanders argued about Maria.

http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://play.esea.net/global/media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi690.photobucke t.com%2Falbums%2Fvv270%2Fkgilligan88%2Funsure.gif&size=400x1000

2005:
Serena: W-DNP-3R-4R at majors. No other titles
Maria: SF-QF-SF-SF at majors. Won Tokyo, Doha, & Birmingham.
S-M H2H: 1-0

How was Maria's year better?

2007:
Serena: W-QF-QF-QF at majors. Won Miami.
Maria: F-SF-4R-3R at majors. Won San Diego.
S-M H2H: 2-0

2008:
Serena: QF-3R-F-W at majors. Won Bangalore, Miami, & Charleston.
Maria: W-4R-2R-DNP at majors. Won Doha & Amelia Island.

You could attempt to ARGUE 2005, but the other 2 aren't even close.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM

:spit: Leave!

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM

and things are going quite well for Serena as well, now.

:lol: You really ask that question? Dsanders started a BASH thread about Serena while not being a Serena-fan..so how we gonna react?

The other thread was to CELEBRATE a Serena-win, so Masha has NOTHING to do with the thread.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I will definitely argue about 2005, Maria won more titles, reached YEC SF. Serena won one major then nothing.
In 2007 Maria reached YEC final it's funny how you erased that event from your memory.
So yeah there is only in 2008 that Serena had clearly the better year, the year Sharapova got injured btw but I digress.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I will definitely argue about 2005, Maria won more titles, reached YEC SF. Serena won one major then nothing.
In 2007 Maria reached YEC final it's funny how you erased that event from your memory.
So yeah there is only in 2008 that Serena had clearly the better year, the year Sharapova got injured btw but I digress.

See my sig.

No one cares what you reach the final of.

HOW MANY TROPHIES DID YOU COLLECT?! And where did you win them?

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Australian+Open+2007+Day+13+-DHkAvk4hqdl.jpg
http://vpqv.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/serena-williams-with-sony-ericsson-open-trophy-04.jpg

Not to mention she only lost 5 games TOTAL to Sharapova on route to BOTH of those titles.

You were saying?

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Kirilenko happened in 2010 and then she had losses to Henin, Serena and Woz(all these players were favorites for the titles back in 2010). Maria didn't have 2 weird losses in majors in a row that year.
Vostok didn't beat Maria in a major, next.
And the loss to Pennetta was after reaching Wimbledon final.
So again, Maria didn't have two very bad losses in majors unlike Serena but Serena readjusted the shot by winning Wimbledon but at the time the question was legitimate.

Ok fine...but you see how it goes? Serena doesn't take four years to recover from losses at majors. :wavey:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Ok fine...but you see how it goes? Serena doesn't take four years to recover from losses at majors. :wavey:

ouch.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Neither does Maria, it took her 4 years to recover from a serious injury.

Ps : Oh and my bad, I forgot that Serena won Miami in 2007 so yeah I guess that year goes to her. But it's quite tight overall.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Ps : Oh and my bad, I forgot that Serena won Miami in 2007 so yeah I guess that year goes to her. But it's quite tight overall.

No worries :wavey:

Vpp23-5VCzo

and

D0BoEedeUR4

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:34 AM
No worries :wavey:

Vpp23-5VCzo

and

D0BoEedeUR4

Not necessary but I guess you couldn't help it.

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Oh the injury..of course.

Lachy
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM

What a ridiculous and provocative post. Please tell me you were warned for this, especially seeing as though I don't see anything regarding Lord in the thread title?

Thiudans
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I don't really see how this thread could still have life in it. Serena has since won wimbledon. Her prospects can only be positive now. Why is this still going?

TPlaya8
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Even with that YEC final Maria only won 1 tournament San Diego. Serena won Miami she had already eclipsed her then. But Serena also won a Grand Slam there is even no argument after that.

Heck Maria was lucky to even be in that YEC Final because the only reason she was even able to qualify for the YEC that year was because Venus pulled out of it.

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM
What a ridiculous and provocative post. Please tell me you were warned for this, especially seeing as though I don't see anything regarding Lord in the thread title?

dsanders was the one provocating...worrying about Serena and stuff, while he ain't even a fan. Besides his own fav has bigger worries of herself.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Even with that YEC final Maria only won 1 tournament San Diego. Serena won Miami she had already eclipsed her then. But Serena also won a Grand Slam there is even no argument after that.

Heck Maria was lucky to even be in that YEC Final because the only reason she was even able to qualify for the YEC that year was because Venus pulled out of it.

Which is why I said I was wrong 2 posts later.

And lucky or not, she reached the final after being out for almost 2 months it was really impressive, stop hating.

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Very good doomsday. But really you should pick your fights more wisely. In the grand scheme of things...Maria's achievements great as they are only make her like Mayweather compared to Serena's Ali. Always gonna end up losing that battle.

Embrace your fav's success. Is much better for you.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Very good doomsday. But really you should pick your fights more wisely. In the grand scheme of things...Maria's achievements great as they are only make her like Mayweather compared to Serena's Ali. Always gonna end up losing that battle.

Embrace your fav's success. Is much better for you.

Don't reverse the situation I didn't come here to pick a fight, my very first post was about Serena and the fact that the question Dsanders asked at the time was legitimate.
You can't stand the fact that Masha fans argue about Serena and then you immediately bring Maria down but we're free to argue about Serena even though she is not our favorite player. This is what a forum is all about.

debby
Jul 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Even Henin always had better years than Masha until 2008 (which doesn't count since she retired that year) :rolls:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Even Henin always had better years than Masha until 2008 (which doesn't count since she retired that year) :rolls:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Last I checked (and checking again to be double sure) this is not a results thread. :unsure:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Ikr. The overwhelming bias of the mods here coughmiffedmaxcough knows no bounds :lol:

I would go on a Willytard-style reporting spree, but I want this thread to remain open so that I can do a schadenfreudist bump later this year when Floprena proves me right :cool:

RenaPova
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM

The title of the thread is "Serious discussion: Where does Serena go from here?" isn't it? :confused:

Ikr. The overwhelming bias of the mods here coughmiffedmaxcough knows no bounds :lol:

I would go on a Willytard-style reporting spree, but I want this thread to remain open so that I can do a schadenfreudist bump later this year when Floprena proves me right :cool:

So when madmax gets banned for making fun of Venus, you claim the mods are being "idiotic" and yet when people make fun of Maria you're all "WILLYTARDS MUST BE BANNED!!!!1111!!!!1!!"? :lol:

I don't know how you can actually honestly accuse anyone of being biased. :tape:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://play.esea.net/global/media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi690.photobucke t.com%2Falbums%2Fvv270%2Fkgilligan88%2Funsure.gif&size=400x1000

2005:
Serena: W-DNP-3R-4R at majors. No other titles
Maria: SF-QF-SF-SF at majors. Won Tokyo, Doha, & Birmingham.

2007:
Serena: W-QF-QF-QF at majors. Won Miami.
Maria: F-SF-4R-3R at majors. Won San Diego.
S-M H2H: 2-0

2008:
Serena: QF-3R-F-W at majors. Won Bangalore, Miami, & Charleston.
Maria: W-4R-2R-DNP at majors. Won Doha & Amelia Island.

You could attempt to ARGUE 2005, but the other 2 aren't even close.

:spit: Leave!

Maria had a higher match-winning % than Serena in both 2005 and 2008, and equal in 2007 :wavey:
But I'm guessing that's suddenly not important, huh? :happy:

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Don't reverse the situation I didn't come here to pick a fight, my very first post was about Serena and the fact that the question Dsanders asked at the time was legitimate.
You can't stand the fact that Masha fans argue about Serena and then you immediately bring Maria down but we're free to argue about Serena even though she is not our favorite player. This is what a forum is all about.

And why do you think dsanders made the thread?! If we were to make a thread after every shocking/bad/terrible/whatever losss Maria has had in the last four years, I mean...where would this forum be?! :shrug:

Serena's RG loss was shocking, terrible...but her play during the year and her history after comebacks, suggested that you've to wait a full year..before you can make any guesses about her. But of course dsanders couldn't wait to gloat... now it's Maria who has all the question marks.

Queenpova
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Some of you need to seriously GET OVER IT with the stan wars.

They clearly DONT give a fuck.

http://www.mariasharapovabio.com/images/news/maria-sharapova-eager-to-face-serena-williams.gif

Lazyking
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Some of you need to seriously GET OVER IT with the stan wars.

They clearly DONT give a fuck.

http://www.mariasharapovabio.com/images/news/maria-sharapova-eager-to-face-serena-williams.gif

:worship:

Charlatan
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Maria had a higher match-winning % than Serena in both 2005 and 2008, and equal in 2007 :wavey:

http://i55.tinypic.com/vijzmv.gif

dsander snatching

J4m3ka
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Yeah, it definitely makes up for the deficit of Slam > no Slam :happy:

dsanders06
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Take it up with Mr Serena Williams and Pump It UP, they're the ones who proclaimed match-winning % to be the Holy Grail :shrug:
*I* believe Serena's 2008 was much better than Maria's, but, as those two posters I'm sure don't want to appear hypocrites, I'm sure they'll now say that Maria had a better season in 2008 to be consistent with their arguments last night. :)

Lucemferre
Every thread is turning into Serena vs Sharapova :weirdo: Why?

HRHoliviasmith

Snatched. :spit:

Charlatan
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Umm No.

Whatever :ras:

Leave me alone and let me use that wig-snatched gif for fun :o

RenaPova
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m511crqwvk1r9csvq.gif

If your strongest argument is this it's clear you don't actually believe what you say but just hate Serena too much to admit it.

A high winning percentage is good, but at the same time, Serena also won a slam in 2005 and 2007 while Maria didn't and (and also reached the Wimbledon final in 2008 unlike Maria) 2008. But I'm guessing winning slams is suddenly not important when it comes to your irrational hatred of Serena, huh? :happy:

But I do think Maria had about as good a year as Serena in 2005 because of her consistency and Serena's lack of after the Australian Open in 2005. Maria's 2008 is quite similar to Serena's 2005 (except Maria also had a few titles too), but I don't think it's better than Serena's 2008.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m511crqwvk1r9csvq.gif

If your strongest argument is this it's clear you don't actually believe what you say but just hate Serena too much to admit it.

A high winning percentage is good, but at the same time, Serena also won a slam in 2005 and 2007 while Maria didn't and (and also reached the Wimbledon final in 2008 unlike Maria) 2008. But I'm guessing winning slams is suddenly not important when it comes to your irrational hatred of Serena, huh? :happy:

But I do think Maria had about as good a year as Serena in 2005 because of her consistency and Serena's lack of after the Australian Open in 2005. Maria's 2008 is quite similar to Serena's 2005 (except Maria also had a few titles too), but I don't think it's better than Serena's 2008.

Snatched. Again. :spit:

RVD
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:38 PM
DAMN!!

Dsanders06 is just getting disemboweled in this thread. :oh:

Let this be a lesson dsanders06.
When you direct irrational hatred towards Serena (and her loyal fans), expect to be 'drawn and quartered', 'watered-boarded', 'flogged', and 'impaled'. :tape:

God, I just love when gloaters get shafted.

RYNJ
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lti8jjwIyd1qbc1ho.gif

RenaPova
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM

:hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

RVD
Jul 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM
:lol::lol:

Aaron.
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Take it up with Mr Serena Williams and Pump It UP, they're the ones who proclaimed match-winning % to be the Holy Grail :shrug:
*I* believe Serena's 2008 was much better than Maria's, but, as those two posters I'm sure don't want to appear hypocrites, I'm sure they'll now say that Maria had a better season in 2008 to be consistent with their arguments last night. :) Dude come on.

As good as you are at trolling and nitpicking arguments you really should be able to fill in the blanks better than that.

They were saying Serena had one of the more impressive winning %. That is a fact and no one said it was a holy grail. My god! I thought your intelligence level was higher than that.

Keep grasping at straws :help:

Aaron.
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Oh so now you're a fortune teller?

Get back to predicting Errani and Kerber to make the top 10 or whatever delusional shit you're peddling lately

What happened here? :tape:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM

*I* believe Serena's 2008 was much better than Maria's, but, as those two posters I'm sure don't want to appear hypocrites, I'm sure they'll now say that Maria had a better season in 2008 to be consistent with their arguments last night. :)

Regarding the bolded, find where I EVER said such a thing. :spit: Another flat out lie, just like when you didn't even bother to check the stats before spewing out falsehoods about the best W/L over the past 52 weeks. :help:

W/L is relevant to look at over the past 52 weeks considering how Serena/Maria/Vika have all had near identical slam performances. W-F-4R-1R vs W-F-4R-3R vs W-SF-4R-3R. They've also had tremendous success outside of the slams. (1 PM, 1 P5, 2 Premier -- 3 if you count Stanford twice) vs (2 P5, 1 Premier) vs (1 PM, 1 P5, 1 Premier, 1 International). Considering how equal they are, W/L and H2H are the next factors to take into consideration, no?

Comparing 2007 slam performances: W-QF-QF-QF vs F-SF-4R-3R. Advantage Williams by about 500 miles. They each won 1 non-slam title. Miami (beating Henin, Vaidisova, Sharapova) vs San Diego (beating Chakvetadze, Schnyder). Advantage Williams. I don't care if Maria's W/L on the year was 70-10 and Serena's was 40-10... Serena still had the better year. :lol::lol:

Comparing 2008 slam performances: W-F-QF-3R vs W-4R-2R-DNP. Advantage Williams. And it would still be advantage Williams even if Maria had managed a respectable F/SF/QF showing in New York (which is probably being way too generous considering she's only made it past the 4R twice in her life and hasn't even done so in more than half a decade).
Serena's three non-slam titles were Miami (beating Henin, Jankovic, and Kuznetsova), Charleston (beating Zvonareva and Sharapova), and Bangalore (beating Venus and Schnyder).
Maria's two non-slam titles were Doha (beating #20 Radwanska, #27 Zvonareva, #53 Wozniacki, and her arch nemesis #126 Voskoboeva) and Amelia Island (beating Cibulkova, Bondarenko, and Medina Garrigues -- all top 30 wins).
Non slams: Advantage Williams. And it would still be advantage Williams even if you ignored her non-slam results from July onwards when Maria's season ended.

Such a long post. Let me go watch Slava's golden set. :D

Nabalonge
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Serena will go where her will and body take her. This year alone she has faced a low and an extreme high. With her history, until the day she sees fit to retire and call it a day, I can only have confidence in her. She's been at this game this long and she's still in it. She has the desire and she has changed her game accordingly when necessary. The only thing that worries me about Serena is the pressure she puts on herself. Outside of that the only limit is retirement. So Serena will go as far as she can with her journey and continued legacy.

Olórin
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Stupid thread. Stupid OP.

Dave.
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
dsanders you seem like a smart guy but you look ridiculous in this thread. It's clear you are not able to participate in a "serious discussion" that involves Serena. I don't get what you were hoping to achieve from this thread. :confused:

Anyway it's pointless to try and predict what Serena does next. She's been proving people wrong her entire career and just did it again. I can't think of anyone else who could (or for that matter, has... in the history of the sport) go from losing 1R in 2 events in one slam to picking up 2 trophies at the VERY NEXT SLAM.

Kunal
Jul 17th, 2012, 05:56 PM
i think serena like we all are seeing at the moment is very focussed on her tennis career. A focussed serena is a dangerous serena. a contendor in every tournament she enters.

i really think the next four slams shes going to be the player to beat. when the draws are out peoples first reaction will be to see if they are in the same half of her draw.

im cautiously optimistic of the future. think its going to be good

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Regarding the bolded, find where I EVER said such a thing. :spit: Another flat out lie, just like when you didn't even bother to check the stats before spewing out falsehoods about the best W/L over the past 52 weeks. :help:

W/L is relevant to look at over the past 52 weeks considering how Serena/Maria/Vika have all had near identical slam performances. W-F-4R-1R vs W-F-4R-3R vs W-SF-4R-3R. They've also had tremendous success outside of the slams. (1 PM, 1 P5, 2 Premier -- 3 if you count Stanford twice) vs (2 P5, 1 Premier) vs (1 PM, 1 P5, 1 Premier, 1 International). Considering how equal they are, W/L and H2H are the next factors to take into consideration, no?

Comparing 2007 slam performances: W-QF-QF-QF vs F-SF-4R-3R. Advantage Williams by about 500 miles. They each won 1 non-slam title. Miami (beating Henin, Vaidisova, Sharapova) vs San Diego (beating Chakvetadze, Schnyder). Advantage Williams. I don't care if Maria's W/L on the year was 70-10 and Serena's was 40-10... Serena still had the better year. :lol::lol:

Comparing 2008 slam performances: W-F-QF-3R vs W-4R-2R-DNP. Advantage Williams. And it would still be advantage Williams even if Maria had managed a respectable F/SF/QF showing in New York (which is probably being way too generous considering she's only made it past the 4R twice in her life and hasn't even done so in more than half a decade).
Serena's three non-slam titles were Miami (beating Henin, Jankovic, and Kuznetsova), Charleston (beating Zvonareva and Sharapova), and Bangalore (beating Venus and Schnyder).
Maria's two non-slam titles were Doha (beating #20 Radwanska, #27 Zvonareva, #53 Wozniacki, and her arch nemesis #126 Voskoboeva) and Amelia Island (beating Cibulkova, Bondarenko, and Medina Garrigues -- all top 30 wins).
Non slams: Advantage Williams. And it would still be advantage Williams even if you ignored her non-slam results from July onwards when Maria's season ended.

:hysteric:

No doubt dsanders will try, but there's no coming back. A clean, effortless drag with nothing but receipts.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11s1cwp.jpg

Cosmic Voices
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM
How the fuck masha get dragged into this thread? what page did it start :sobbing:
i thought i was entering a post-wimbledon serena thread :confused:

tennisbum79
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM
dsanders you seem like a smart guy but you look ridiculous in this thread. It's clear you are not able to participate in a "serious discussion" that involves Serena. I don't get what you were hoping to achieve from this thread. :confused:

Anyway it's pointless to try and predict what Serena does next. She's been proving people wrong her entire career and just did it again. I can't think of anyone else who could (or for that matter, has... in the history of the sport) go from losing 1R in 2 events in one slam to picking up 2 trophies at the VERY NEXT SLAM.
I predicted this meltdown would happen when I saw this thread yesterday
Here is my opriginal post, #68, forecasting this turn of events
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21852225&postcount=68

Now go check the other Serena victory threads starting with Wimbledon, and you'll see the real dsanders06.
You'll realize dsanders only wanted serious discussion as long as Serena is down.

His favorite constant one-word post reserved for the WS result threads is "MESS", regardless of the result or quality of play.

RVD
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
i think serena like we all are seeing at the moment is very focussed on her tennis career. A focussed serena is a dangerous serena. a contendor in every tournament she enters.

i really think the next four slams shes going to be the player to beat. when the draws are out peoples first reaction will be to see if they are in the same half of her draw.

im cautiously optimistic of the future. think its going to be goodCompletely agree.

I recall, not so long ago, the tennis community proclaiming that Serena had lost that "Intimidation Aura". "Was on the way out". "Wolud soon retire".
Well, the fact was...Serena had gone through personal trails that boardered on the fictional (murdered sister, attempted lawsuit by McEnroe & Friends, line calls so bad that the US Open had to institute Hawkeye, racial discrimination , CEO & WTA association attempting to create rules to FORCE the sistas to play IW, knee surgery, two foot surgeries, life-threatening blood clots, an a grapefruit-sized embolism, etc...) and STILL this athlete has to deal with the likes of folks who think [I]just ...like...dsanders06.
With so much stress and adversity, who the hell COULD maintain an aura of intimidation?!!!!
And...she has neither retired, nor complained about losing interest in tennis. EVER!!

Quite honestly, I don't know how Serena does it.
I mean, she even runs her own businesses out side of tennis, acts, attends school, supports educational charities & foundations, plays WTT & Fed Cup, etc...

What I'm worried about is that she will burn out by doing too much now.

Well, as long as she's happy and feeling healthy, strong, and capable, then I'm sure that she will do all she can to continue to break records and prove the doubter wrong time and time again.

So as long as there are threads like this, it makes Serena's accomplishments all the sweeter for her fans and supporters. :worship:

RenaPova
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I predicted this meltdown would happen when I saw this theread yesterday
Here is my opriginal post, #58, forecasting this turn of events

JN
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM

Now go check the other Serena victory threads starting Wimbledon, and you'll see the real dsanders06.

:bowdown:

A perfect read of this, this... individual.

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Seriously gorl? LMAO...that's the best shit you could come up with? Gorl http://i49.tinypic.com/34hhrtv.jpg

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I LIVE when Serena gets the girls in a tizzy. I fucking LIVE. Yes LORDrena. I give you praise and thanks http://fourfour.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b8c369e201538ebb823e970b-800wi

RenaPova
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Seriously gorl? LMAO...that's the best shit you could come up with? Gorl http://i49.tinypic.com/34hhrtv.jpg

DEAD at that gif. :hysteric:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0so3x2kwF1qmdm7x.gif

Serenita
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
:sobbing:

mac47
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
...What I'm worried about is that she will burn out by doing too much now.

Well, as long as she's happy and feeling healthy, strong, and capable, then I'm sure that she will do all she can to continue to break records and prove the doubter wrong time and time again.

So as long as there are threads like this, it makes Serena's accomplishments all the sweeter for her fans and supporters. :worship:

I am not a Serena fan, but I'm not a hater either. I will root for Kvitova against her every time, but I respect her, and I totally agree with your post. She is a living legend, and she towers above everyone else on the tour today without anyone who can realistically be called her rival.

I would love to see her get more slams, and play until she's 40, just so the Masha fans can twist in agony as the H2H gets even more laughable.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM

i am seriously crying right now. this gif. :sobbing:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I am not a Serena fan, but I'm not a hater either. I will root for Kvitova against her every time, but I respect her, and I totally agree with your post. She is a living legend, and she towers above everyone else on the tour today without anyone who can realistically be called her rival.

I would love to see her get more slams, and play until she's 40, just so the Masha fans can twist in agony as the H2H gets even more laughable.

:inlove:

tennisbum79
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM

Fair post.
This is unlike others, who try to diminsh Serena stature, accompihsments and skills in order to elevate their favorite player stature.
NO need to name names, they know who they are.

Queenpova
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I just cant at oliviasmith NEVER addinng anything to any conversation but just posting smileys to stir up shit/kiss serena's fans asses. what a useless troll :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I just cant at oliviasmith NEVER addinng anything to any conversation but just posting smileys to stir up shit/kiss serena's fans asses. what a useless troll :lol:

with her original user account since 2008. :kiss:

-NAJ-
Jul 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
She will win Wimbledon.

:oh:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM

you can sit next to me in class :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 18th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Here's another thing that I think is worth looking at:

Losses since comeback:
Zvonareva (12 career titles - career high #2)
Bartoli (7 career titles - career high #7)
Stosur (3 career titles - career high #4
Makarova (1 career title - career high #29)
Wozniacki (18 career titles - career high #1)
Razzano (2 career titles - career high #16)

If we're being "SERIOUS", these losses are no less shocking than Venus' loses to Sprem/Pironokva/Schett or Kim's to Rus/Likhovsteva or Justine's to Daniilidou/Sharapova.

This whole thread is a MASSIVE overreaction, and I'm glad it's getting derailed.

CloudAtlas
Jul 18th, 2012, 01:05 AM

AMAZING. I wanna put this entire post in my sig :hysteric: :bowdown:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3fxk2yNSb1qja3x0o1_500.gif

NashaP
Jul 18th, 2012, 05:42 AM
If we're being "SERIOUS", these losses are no less shocking than Venus' loses to Sprem/Pironokva/Schett or Kim's to Rus/Likhovsteva or Justine's to Daniilidou/Sharapova.

:rolleyes: stay pressed bitch

Kunal
Jul 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM
im usually down with the lingo. but what exactly does 'pressed' mean? ....uptight?

supergrunt
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pressed

humanabstract
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
OMG, people, you better support your faves and stop hating others.
Practically each thread in GM is full of this shit.

Trih
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Never seen this thread, just looked at the title and I thought "uhm, interesting, let's see"

*OPEN THE THREAD*

Nice! :)

*JUMP TO LAST PAGE*

http://fourfour.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b8c369e201538ebb823e970b-800wi

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0so3x2kwF1qmdm7x.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3fxk2yNSb1qja3x0o1_500.gif

:facepalm:

NID, GM.

Shuji Shuriken
Jul 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Never seen this thread, just looked at the title and I thought "uhm, interesting, let's see"

*OPEN THE THREAD*

*JUMP TO LAST PAGE*

NID, GM.
You WILL deal gorl http://uploadir.com/u/sbyo4ry6

Pureracket
Jul 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Why is this thread still open. Even the most casual observer can see what dsanders' agenda actually is, and that is to make disparaging comments about the #1 American player.

RenaPova
Jul 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM

*OPEN THE THREAD*

*JUMP TO LAST PAGE*

NID, GM.

dsanders06 opens a thread about Serena and you expect it to be full of deep insight and discussion rather than dsanders06 and other trolls just hating on Serena? :haha:

JamieOwen3
Jul 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Just :facepalm:

donellcarey
Jul 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
You WILL deal gorl http://uploadir.com/u/sbyo4ry6

DEAD @ that gif :haha::bigcry:

edificio
Jul 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
...to the Hall of Fame, baby!

RVD
Jul 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
dsanders06 opens a thread about Serena and you expect it to be full of deep insight and discussion rather than dsanders06 and other trolls just hating on Serena? :haha:Was thinking exactly the same thing.
Especially when dsanders06 creates a thread about Serena.

Trih, just accept this as a learning experience that when dsanders06 attempts to create a "serious discussion" thread about Serena, it's about as legitimate or real as a Philosopher's stone. :help:

No one...but NO ONE believes it's even possible, because...well...it isn't.

Aaron.
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Wimbledon and Olympics :D

Jimmie48
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
As amazing of an accomplishment it is, it really starts doing damage to the sport.

Smitten
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
She goes to London to nearly double bagel your fave.

Aaron.
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
She goes to London to nearly double bagel your fave. Noooooooo :hysteric:

bandabou
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
dsanders..:lol: And here we're again. 6-0 6-1..:lol:

Potato
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM
oh dsanders...

http://i45.tinypic.com/wtszm.jpg

danieln1
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
This could be in the top 3 in the Fail Threads category.

Morrissey
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I think Serena has NOW finally accomplished everything she wanted to in tennis. She now has a golden career grand slam everything she ever wanted to achieve in women's tennis she has done it. I think it comes down to desire and motivation now. It will be a sad day when Serena Williams retires from the game. Serena Williams IS the face of women's tennis the next generation has stepped up a little but but they haven't taken over women's tennis.

Novichok
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
As amazing of an accomplishment it is, it really starts doing damage to the sport.

Serena's not doing damage. It's those players who struggle to win games against her that's doing damage.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:57 PM

How?

After almost 2 years of fluke results, and top players flopping out to journeywomen, you have the top 3 players in the world winning the medals at the Olympic games.

The fact that Serena comprehensively beat them both shows JUST how good she is.

JeMa
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I think Serena has NOW finally accomplished everything she wanted to in tennis. She now has a golden career grand slam everything she ever wanted to achieve in women's tennis she has done it. I think it comes down to desire and motivation now. It will be a sad day when Serena Williams retires from the game. Serena Williams IS the face of women's tennis the next generation has stepped up a little but but they haven't taken over women's tennis.

I don't think she accomplished everything she wanted to in tennis. There is the Grand Slam that is winning every slam in one year. Unfortunately, she had the best shot of that when she was younger and I don't think a 30+ body can manage to do that.

I think Serena's got another two years in her and at least another two slams to win.

bandabou
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
:lol: well, well, well, well...:lol:

JeMa
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Serena's not doing damage. It's those players who struggle to win games against her that's doing damage.

Serena did do damage...to the egos of Maria, Vika, Caro and Zvonerava. That's about the only damage that I see that she did.

Stamp Paid
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:10 PM
She goes to London to nearly double bagel your fave.http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/PrimoEmporio/cackles.gif

Tennisation
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
On to Rio 2016 to accomplish what she couldn't do in London, double bagel Sharapova.

Morrissey
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I don't think she accomplished everything she wanted to in tennis. There is the Grand Slam that is winning every slam in one year. Unfortunately, she had the best shot of that when she was younger and I don't think a 30+ body can manage to do that.

I think Serena's got another two years in her and at least another two slams to win.

Serena actually did win four slams in a row though a non calendar slam back in 2002 to 2003. She's won all the slams, been number one, won the Olympic gold medal in singles. There is nothing more for Serena to achieve. As you say at age 30 I think it would be difficult for Serena to win all four slams in one year. But she had the non calendar slam so that's close.

JeMa
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Serena actually did win four slams in a row though a non calendar slam back in 2002 to 2003. She's won all the slams, been number one, won the Olympic gold medal in singles. There is nothing more for Serena to achieve. As you say at age 30 I think it would be difficult for
Serena to win all four slams in one year. But she had the non calendar slam so that's close.

I'm talking about a calendar slam ala Graf. She will never pass Steffi as the greatest until she does that.

Michalka
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM

:bigcry::crying2::hysteric:

young_gunner913
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Oh Dslaners :happy: This thread comes back to bite him in the ass in the worst possible way. Serena destroying Martha to add on to her already stellar career. :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:43 PM

:hysteric: :crying2: :haha: :haha: :haha: i believe we have a winner! :worship:

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM

yeah yeah yeah okay. :baby: until then, Career Slam + OG. NEXT!

http://www.thepaintedskin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/sourgrapes.jpg

tennisbum79
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Oh Dslaners :happy: This thread comes back to bite him in the ass in the worst possible way. Serena destroying Martha to add on to her already stellar career. :lol:
This was shortsighted thread to say the least.

He fooled non one with the title, as the contents quickly showed his true color, melting down as soon as Serena won Wimbledon, and got worse after Serena's Standford victory.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM

more than a slamless #1 who is now almost out of top 10 a year later? please chile :lol:

Mfsoccer94
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I think she realized that this is near the end of her career. She will have a few more good years left in the tank but nothing to explosive.

young_gunner913
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
This was shortsighted thread to say the least.

He fooled non one with the title, as the contents quickly showed his true color, melting down as soon as Serena won Wimbledon, and got worse after Serena's Standford victory.

The funniest part is that he hasn't shown his face even after saying maybe Serena would get 4 games off Martha. :spit: He's such a fucking coward. It's hilarious. He's probably off in some corner with his tail between his legs still shivering.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
more than a slamless #1 who is now almost out of top 10 a year later? please chile :lol:

ikr? but just leave him alone to go suck on his lemons. :rolleyes: some of these people are just ridiculous.