PDA

View Full Version : Serena Losing proves hard for a woman 30 years of age or older to win a grand slam!!!

Morrissey
May 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Very few women in WTA open era history have won grand slams at AGE THIRTY AND BEYOND. Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova are only ones I can think of in the modern era who managed to do it. The 1980s and 1990s it was easier for a woman age thirty and over to win a slam. Now the game is just so tough and competitive. It is just very hard for a woman at age thirty to win a grand slam because the body starts to break down.

Serena's had an incredible career, BUT the truth is she is not the woman she once was. I think Serena and the public are expecting too much. Serena's had a great career and is a multi millionare. She needs to decide whether she wants to compete but I hope she does not make a fool of herself and stay too long.

Justine Henin QUIT because she realized she wasn't going to win any more slams. Serena might be in the same boat.

Australian Open: fourth round loss to Makarova

French Open first round: Serena loses to a French NOBODY.

The Great Slave
May 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Schiavone won RG at almost 30, she was gonna turn 30 within few days and then reached the final at almost 31.

Pasta-Na
May 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM
She will win Wimbledon. :p

Queenpova
May 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
it's very hard beating someone who's cramping ya'll

jacobruiz
May 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Virginie is 29.

Sammo
May 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
We all thought Schiavone's peak (top 15, Roland Garros Quarterfinalist, in the QFs she got demolished by Hingis 6-1 6-1) had passed before she went on to win RG

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Li Na 29 Won . Soooooo

miffedmax
May 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
It's impossible for a woman over 30 to win Miss Teen USA.

doomsday
May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
You're gonna open a thread every minute :facepalm:

Young 8
May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I predict Wozniacki will win her first (& only) Slam at the age of 32

Uranium
May 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
The only thing it proves is that Serena is putting too much pressure on herself. She wanted the US Open too much to come back and prove she is the best after all her hardships. And then here she wanted her 2nd RG too much and was hitting wild woman forehands.

Petronius
May 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
She still has a shot at 2 or 3 Wimbledons thanks to her serve and return

C. Drone
May 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
actually I love Morrissey threads. So much delusion. :hearts:

Shvedbarilescu
May 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Very few women in WTA open era history have won grand slams at AGE THIRTY AND BEYOND. Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova are only ones I can think of in the modern era who managed to do it. The 1980s and 1990s it was easier for a woman age thirty and over to win a slam. Now the game is just so tough and competitive. It is just very hard for a woman at age thirty to win a grand slam because the body starts to break down.

Serena's had an incredible career, BUT the truth is she is not the woman she once was. I think Serena and the public are expecting too much. Serena's had a great career and is a multi millionare. She needs to decide whether she wants to compete but I hope she does not make a fool of herself and stay too long.

Justine Henin QUIT because she realized she wasn't going to win any more slams. Serena might be in the same boat.

You make a couple of good points. Shame you smother it in baloney.

1) Justine Henin QUIT because of a career ending injury. She was advised she could no longer play competitively again.

2) Virginie Razzano is not a nobody. She has been in the top 100 for the majority of the past decade, been ranked in the top 20, been to the 4the round of three out of the four Grand Slams and accomplished more than probably anybody in this forum ever will.

3) Because Serena is getting older and consequently it is becoming more difficult for her to win additional slams is no reason for her to retire unless she no longer enjoys the competition. That hardly appears to be the case right now.

4) Chris and Martina are not the only players in the open era to win Slams past the age of thirty. Virginia Wade did as well. So did Billie Jean King and Margaret Court. I believe there are one or two others as well.

Having said that, your basic point that it is very hard to win a Slam after the age of 30 is a very good one. This is true. You should have left it at that.

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Li Na, Schiavone were not 30 yet. Even Graf was still 29 when she won her last RG. So the OP has a point. Yet I'm pretty sure Serena has a big chance to win Wimbledon this year.

madmax
May 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM
it's very hard beating someone who's cramping ya'll

:lol::devil:

vejh
May 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well the reasoning behind not winning as much at 30y/o (body breaking down due to the sport's wear and tear) doesn't necessarily apply to Serena. She is still the most powerful and strong player on tour. Serena's own unravelling is what's between her ears plus a little too much pride sprinkled in.

Ryan
May 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM

TALK LOUDER AND MAYBE WELL AGREE WITH YOU. :) Or not.

Miracle Worker
May 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Serena losing proves only one thing. She's just a human. If she can beat Sharapova or Stosur these days she can win slams. But of course she can also lose matches.

Charlatan
May 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Morrissey and his constant opening thread ass

JCTennisFan
May 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cant agree, age hardly had anything to do with Serena's loss. Im beginning to believe that it has to do with the lack of "invulnerability" which is hurting Serena in the earlier rounds.

Lets face it the Williams sisters have been known to produce shaky erratic play in the early parts of the slams but I believe they got through them in the past because they were able to intimidate their opponents enough to scratch by.

Seeing as how Serena is not the very intimidating player she could be in the past she is not able to easily get opponents into mentally folding like she used to.

debby
May 29th, 2012, 09:38 PM
actually I love Morrissey threads. So much delusion. :hearts:

And predictable too. Cackling :lol:

Rollo
May 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Lets face it the Williams sisters have been known to produce shaky erratic play in the early parts of the slams but I believe they got through them in the past because they were able to intimidate their opponents enough to scratch by.

Seeing as how Serena is not the very intimidating player she could be in the past she is not able to easily get opponents into mentally folding like she used to.

Good point. Rena babe came terribly close though. And for once you can't fault her prep-she played Charleston, Madrid, and Rome.

The fact is clay always has been and always will be her weakest surface.

And yes, 30 and over is tougher, but a healthy Serena still has slam winning in her. I dare anyone to say she won't win another major though. If they do they should back it up with what they will do when Serena wins another slam:devil:

For my money she's still the player to beat at Wimbledon.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Serena will win a couple more Slams, maybe even Gold at the Olympics. Serena is good at defying the odds. So I do expect more Wimbys and maybe some Aussie or USO slams.

ToopsTame
May 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Serena will win a couple more Slams, maybe even Gold at the Olympics. Serena is good at defying the odds. So I do expect more Wimbys and maybe some Aussie or USO slams.

The odds are actually still in her favour. She's still one of the best players in the game and if she gets over these shaky early rounds, she'll have the mental advantage over any opponent in the later rounds.

JN
May 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
:lol::devil:

You must be GM's version of the US Political Thread's plantman. :help:

thrust
May 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
It's impossible for a woman over 30 to win Miss Teen USA.

LOL!! Seriously though, it is more difficult to win tennis tournaments past thirty, never mind slams. This is even more true in the men's game.

PetraReeMona
May 29th, 2012, 10:29 PM

1. GO AWAY! YOU SHOULD BE BANNED and I can't understand why you are not :confused:

2. I thought Henin QUIT because she fell over at Wimbledon and busted her elbow. I'm sure that was the reason. Let's hope Serena isn't in the same boat and has to retire due to an injury that ruined her career.

3. How can a 13 time gS Champion EVER make a fool of herself. Razzano played the match of her life and Serena didn't!

END OF.

Now get lost! :wavey:

Jane Lane
May 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Okay now your threads are just funny. :rolls:

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 8th, 2012, 05:23 AM

http://media.indiatimes.in/media/content/2012/Jul/serena-williams1_1341677506_460x460.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

bajantoo
Jul 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
http://media.indiatimes.in/media/content/2012/Jul/serena-williams1_1341677506_460x460.jpg

Proving once again that a picture is at least worth more than a thousand Morissey words

SerenaGOAT
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I predict Wozniacki will win her first (& only) Slam at the age of 32

:haha::spit:

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
:lol: And keep proving people wrong. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
:lol: all the shotgun reactions

Petronius
Jul 8th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nice bump. I agree with McEnroe, the woman still has 3-4 slams in her.

mdterp01
Jul 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for bumping this DUMB ASS thread so the OP can eat their words :lol:

CanIGetAWhat
Jun 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/e318847c4547667da1289a82bdf2daca/tumblr_mo3emzQCEw1sn6xaxo1_500.gif

In The Zone
Jun 11th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Serena's age is a non factor. She is hitting the ball purer than anyone we have seen in recent years. She is seeing it so much earlier and she can precisely hit it. It's not the power, it's not the athleticism, it's not the build, it's Serena becoming an all around tennis player for the first time in her career.

Drake1980
Jun 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Nice bump :hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 11th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Very similar to this year.

In 2013, Serena lost to NOBODY on clay :cool:

Thanx4nothin
Jun 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gosh and here she is holding 3 of the last 4 slams at nearly 32

:help: people will never learn

WonderFan
Jun 11th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Let's not forget Kimiko.
If Serena wants, her career is halfway through.

cehowardrx7
Jun 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Say it again???? :haha:

http://www.cehoward.net/SERENAQG.jpg

cehowardrx7
Jun 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Gosh and here she is holding 3 of the last 4 slams at nearly 32

:help: people will never learn

And that is the slam (AO) where she lost to Sloane behind being injured... ;)

http://www.cehoward.net/SERENAQG.jpg

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/410e81ee30558475c743dc707ba7c8b4/tumblr_msu3lfv9ZF1s5lshxo1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/cd633dae535adfa29cda4b1c4436682f/tumblr_msu3lfv9ZF1s5lshxo2_250.gif

Carlsbadwanska
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Ok, we know that Serena won 17th GS title, we know that she defeat Vika in the final.

Serena fans - Williams is NOT all the world. Kalm down and get some life. ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM
:hearts:

HippityHop
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Ok, we know that Serena won 17th GS title, we know that she defeat Vika in the final.

Serena fans - Williams is NOT all the world. Kalm down and get some life. ;)

I love it. These threads must be bumped. It's the law. :lol:

it-girl
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e318847c4547667da1289a82bdf2daca/tumblr_mo3emzQCEw1sn6xaxo1_500.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/410e81ee30558475c743dc707ba7c8b4/tumblr_msu3lfv9ZF1s5lshxo1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/cd633dae535adfa29cda4b1c4436682f/tumblr_msu3lfv9ZF1s5lshxo2_250.gif4 slam titles later & Olympic gold, this thread is the gift that keeps on giving:lol:

shoryuken
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
3 4 slam titles later & Olympic gold, this thread is the gift that keeps on giving:lol:

All past the age of 30. When will Evert/Navratilova?

http://i.minus.com/iWXRTP4Nfv8XL.gif

it-girl
Sep 10th, 2013, 01:41 AM
All past the age of 30. When will Evert/Navratilova?

http://i.minus.com/iWXRTP4Nfv8XL.gifI lost count:lol: Thanks, I updated it.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 10th, 2013, 01:52 AM
She's an Aussie Open win away from completing a career slam in her 20s AND 30s.

:hearts:

miffedmax
Sep 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM

Even a nonfan like me must concur.

tennisbum79
Sep 10th, 2013, 04:44 AM
The trouble is, there are so many of them, we may have to assign a full time staff just to look for them.

Dsanders06 alone must have authored half a dozen of these kind of threads.