PDA

View Full Version : This was evidence that Serena has issues with Roland Garros

DefyingGravity
May 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
There's no other explanation. Virginie certainly outplayed her, no doubt about that, but Serena mentally collapsed...Zvonareva style.

She simply cannot handle the French crowd and her emotions and focus get the best of her MORE than usual. This year was probably her best chance at getting a French Open crown since 2008. Evidence that the past is still haunting her at the French.

Direwolf
May 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM
6-4 6-6 5-2 2nd set...

She let that damn ball go!!

Vincey!
May 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
no I don't think it's Serena having problem with RG. It's just Serena knowing she's not at her best and hoping that her opponents will give her the match as they often do. :shrug:

shoparound
May 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
She will never win Roland Garros again...

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2012, 07:23 PM
OR : she has always struggled on red clay. Always has, always will be.

Comebacksova
May 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM
no I don't think it's Serena having problem with RG. It's just Serena knowing she's not at her best and hoping that her opponents will give her the match as they often do. :shrug:

Like Cadantu did?

pov
http://i49.tinypic.com/wbx66h.png

JN
Well, luckily she already has one. On to Wimbledon!

azinna
May 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM
She'll probably win it when no one considers her a real threat to lift the trophy. She'll handle that psychological challenge a bit better at RG.

pov
May 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Most crowds hate her
MF please.

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I dont think so. Most crowds hate her and she has managed to win Madrid and Charleston this year

yeah, she even destroyed sharapova in one of these events

donellcarey
May 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
French crowd is her issue.

Keegan
I dont think so. Most crowds hate her and she has managed to win Madrid and Charleston this year

"Most crowds" don't hate her :rolleyes: It's just the French crowd hate anyone who isn't French, and even then it's still dodgy. She's very well respected in tennis. It is something about the FO, and the crowd probably do get to her. Since Handingate she's never been the same there and the crowd were heavily involved in that one.

Joelina
She will never win Roland Garros again...

...and other three

Vincey!
May 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Like Cadantu did?

What? I don't get it? Why are you talking about Cadantu? lol

Vincey!
May 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
"Most crowds" don't hate her :rolleyes: It's just the French crowd hate anyone who isn't French, and even then it's still dodgy. She's very well respected in tennis. It is something about the FO, and the crowd probably do get to her. Since Handingate she's never been the same there and the crowd were heavily involved in that one.

yes the french crowd is easily the worse crowd on tour, even worse than some fed cup ties. Still I don't think it played much of a deal in her loss today. It didn't help, but I think she composed herself quite well

John.
May 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
It was all good in Paris until the 03 SF. Since then, she's been on edge and unable to relax.

It is what it is. She's a former champion, and will always have 02. But I can't see her winning another title here

Keegan
May 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
yes the french crowd is easily the worse crowd on tour, even worse than some fed cup ties. Still I don't think it played much of a deal in her loss today. It didn't help, but I think she composed herself quite well

For the most part yeah. The crying was just bizarre. You'd never think she'd be the one to cry after losing a set. I can't imagine Serena being affected by the crowd in that way. We've all seen her sensitive side at one point or another, but on court in the middle of a match? Rarely, if ever.

I don't really mind the French crowd though. I'd love to be there and be a part of the atmosphere they create, but they're not a great tennis crowd. I can get that. It's like a football match.

ServeCaspian
May 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
She does have an issue with RG, but I also feel Slams. Her losses in the past 3 have been absolutely ridiculous. She just puts too much pressure on herself and on top of the pressure she already felt as RG, it was just a colossal collapse. This is why I said before the tournament I wouldn't be surprised if she won it, but anyone who really knew her history with RG knew she was never the favourite until she actually done it.

I don't want to annoy Rena fans with any of this, that's just my opinion. If she flops at Wimbledon there will definitely be a Slam issue in her head.

DefyingGravity
May 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM
OR : she has always struggled on red clay. Always has, always will be.

I get that, but she manages to perform reasonably well on red clay. She's got a 78% winning percentage on clay, a 79% winning percentage at Roland Garros. Not as good as her hard court, obviously (84.2%), but still not as bad as we make her out to be on clay.

That winning percentage at Roland Garros is as good as Sharapova's lifetime hard court percentage, better than Clijsters' career clay and grass winning percentages, better than Hingis' career grass court percentage, and is better than Venus' clay record in her career as well.

So it's not that Serena can't play on red clay, or even at Roland Garros. It's the pressure moments and the crunch time that her memories haunt her all over again.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Obviously she has an issue with RG :lol: She hasn't made the semis here or won a title on real clay in 10 years. I fail to see how her not being good on clay is breaking news.

le bon vivant
Yeah, but we already knew this. We just hoped her fitness and preparation would be able to ameliorate her issues with the tournament. She just wants to win RG so bad. But I don't think its meant for her. I look forward to seeing how all the other ladies do though. :)

gulzhan
Serena has no problem with French crowd, however, French authorities are not satellites to US as British and Australian are. I only refer to Andre Agassi, nothing more.

Nicolás89
May 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
RG & the US Open, she only got the other 2. :lol:

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
i believe it's more a roland garros issue, i believe she fears the crowd.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I get that, but she manages to perform reasonably well on red clay. She's got a 78% winning percentage on clay, a 79% winning percentage at Roland Garros. Not as good as her hard court, obviously (84.2%), but still not as bad as we make her out to be on clay.

That winning percentage at Roland Garros is as good as Sharapova's lifetime hard court percentage, better than Clijsters' career clay and grass winning percentages, better than Hingis' career grass court percentage, and is better than Venus' clay record in her career as well.

So it's not that Serena can't play on red clay, or even at Roland Garros. It's the pressure moments and the crunch time that her memories haunt her all over again.

In her only matches on red clay this year, she was far from convincing :shrug: Barely got past Petrova and her only other wins were over two scrubs. Unfortuanetly she then believed her own hype and believed she was good enough to tank the real matches in Rome, and she paid for that today.

And although she rarely has bad losses at RG, you forget that she's had MANY early-round shitfests in early rounds of RG like today over the years, it's just usually she's a bit mentally tougher than today and is able to edge the important points.

homogenius
May 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
her game and movement are just way more vulnerable on real clay.it has always been like that.she knows it and it impacts her confidence as well.

starin
May 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I don't know what happened today. Suddenly in tears after losing the second set tb. Sure she played stupidly to give it away but not enough to cause that kind of emotional collapse. Very Zvonareva like performance today.

sammy01
May 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
i'd say it is more evidence that serena is 30 and losing her nerve. yep she is still a great player, who can play amazing tennis, but her mental strength and nerve have been fraying at the last 3 slams she has played.

slams are the biggest tournaments and the ones serena wants to win and they are the ones that will show us where serena really is mentally and not madrid or anywhere else as serena has no care win or lose tournaments like that.

le bon vivant
May 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Serena has no problem with French crowd, however, French authorities are not satellites to US as British and Australian are. I only refer to Andre Agassi, nothing more.Gerl, what? :lol:

duhcity
May 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Am I the only one who thought the crowd was fine? I mean they were...the French crowd when a top seed was playing a French player. I didn't think they were more outrageous than expected. They could have been FAR more critical, and I'm shocked that Asderaki wasn't literally jeered to tears and embarrassment by the crowd.

Vikapower
May 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
her game and movement are just way more vulnerable on real clay.it has always been like that.she knows it and it impacts her confidence as well.

Yes. Serena struggles to construct points, her movement is sub-par she can't overpower the ball like she wants and finds herself stuck in whole lot of rallies where she is as weak as the neighboring Cadantu, schooled 6-0 6-0.

As for the majors in whole, I've been saying for long that the Serena hype in majors just doesn't work anymore. I had a list of all the BIG titles she was supposed to win and didn't, should find it again. :lol: It's now 4 majors and counting --

Madrid suits Serena's style of game she now needs to play nowadays to be convincing, 2-3 shots, aces, service winners [...] you just extend these damn short rallies to 7-8 or more and you got Serena just where you want her.

She's going to start to cry like a baby because the quick winners don't come and she just knows in herself she's not going to be good in the grinding etc. deparment :lol: All this is just funny though, all these little details people voluntarily ignored to hype her just unfolded boldly just like that in front the whole world eyes in one of the biggest tournament in tennis. :lol:

Morrissey
May 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
The French crowd got to Serena they have always been VERY HOSTILE towards her. Anyone black would know the feeling you are surrounded by an EVIL WHITE CROWD and their racism got to her.

Becool
May 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Yes. Serena struggles to construct points, her movement is sub-par she can't overpower the ball like she wants and finds herself stuck in whole lot of rallies where she is as weak as the neighboring Cadantu, schooled 6-0 6-0.

As for the majors in whole, I've been saying for long that the Serena hype in majors just doesn't work anymore. I had a list of all the BIG titles she was supposed to win and didn't, should find it again. :lol: It's now 4 majors and counting --

Madrid suits Serena's style of game she now needs to play nowadays to be convincing, 2-3 shots, aces, service winners [...] you just extend these damn short rallies to 7-8 or more and you got Serena just where you want her.

She's going to start to cry like a baby because the quick winners don't come and she just knows in herself she's not going to be good in the grinding etc. deparment :lol: All this is just funny though, all these little details people voluntarily ignored to hype her just unfolded boldly just like that in front the whole world eyes in one of the biggest tournament in tennis. :lol:

Just with azarenka has a career like serena has so she can be as much hyped as serena is, in evert tournament she plays in, even when the surfaces are not her favorite, then we can talk.

LoveMeansZero
May 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM

Maybe she showed composure, but it all happens inside. Why would she cry? She's not one to cry because of losing a match. It has to have been something more profound than that.

jimbo mack
May 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Who can blame her if she does have issues with the FO crowd..they are vulgar. Pierce, Mauresmo, Hingis, Testud..just a few names of players who have been treated like dirt by this crowd. You wouldn't see this sort of behaviour towards players in the respectful other 3 slams

Talula
May 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I think it was evidence that she underestimated Razzano in advance and got a shock at Razzno's fight. It's happened before: Sharapova Wimbly 04 and Stosur last year at US.

Talula
May 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Am I the only one who thought the crowd was fine? I mean they were...the French crowd when a top seed was playing a French player. I didn't think they were more outrageous than expected. They could have been FAR more critical, and I'm shocked that Asderaki wasn't literally jeered to tears and embarrassment by the crowd.

Very true. The crowd were actually quite restrained!

Vikapower
May 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Just with azarenka has a career like serena has so she can be as much hyped as serena is, in evert tournament she plays in, even when the surfaces are not her favorite, then we can talk.

Yes we can no problem but I'm not comparing Victoria's career to Serena's -- I'm comparing this 2012 year.

It hurts for you as Serena's fan but it's facts, Serena is not the best player in the world right now. You win majors then you're the best you don't then you're simply not.

Granted Serena has 13 slams but she has no W in her ranking points as of today and has lost all last 4 matches in majors comprehensively, today being her worst ever.

People reproached to Wozniacki the same stuff when Petra arose, Petra had a major, Wozniacki was #1 had none, Petra was logically considered the best player in the world. Serena has 0 major in the last 2-3 years, Petra and Victoria have 1 doesn't the same previous logic apply ?

Vincey!
May 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe she showed composure, but it all happens inside. Why would she cry? She's not one to cry because of losing a match. It has to have been something more profound than that.

Of course it all happens inside, but you never know what's happening in the inside of a player. Composure is pretty much about what you let it show, at least for a public point of view.

danieln1
May 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
She won her first at the right time

madmax
May 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM

just about perfect post:worship:
of course, usual suspecrs will be crying wolf here, but the cold truth is undeniable

Sammo
May 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
http://images.smh.com.au/2011/05/04/2342201/art_serena_williams-420x0.jpg

Sometimes I see French people...

Beat
May 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
There's no other explanation. Virginie certainly outplayed her, no doubt about that, but Serena mentally collapsed...Zvonareva style.

zvonareva would have lost the 3rd set 0:6 :oh:

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I know it's silly but God I will miss that green dress. The most flawless outfit, matching perfectly with RG and red clay. She looked beautiful out there. Makes her loss even more absurd.

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM

I agree. Yesterday the crowd booed Bogomolov as he couldn't serve down MP because he was cramping so much and had to retire against Clément. Clément even amde it clear to the crowd that it was inappropriate.

DefyingGravity
May 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I agree. Yesterday the crowd booed Bogomolov as he couldn't serve down MP because he was cramping so much and had to retire against Clément. Clément even amde it clear to the crowd that it was inappropriate.

Wow, that's horrifically inappropriate.

But I think she's let them get to her, so that any cheering like what happened today gets twisted around as attacks on her, which is not true. It's the old "chip on the shoulder" attitude, but she takes it maybe too personally at Roland Garros.

The official stats from the RG site suggest that for all the shots Serena was missing, she was making only 8 fewer winners the entire match.

TennisArt
May 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
just about perfect post:worship:
of course, usual suspecrs will be crying wolf here, but the cold truth is undeniable

Well Im a Serena fan but I knew there was no chance in hell she was winning the French Open. Im kinda relieved that it happened sooner rather than later, like her matches with Stosur and Kuznetsova. Now I can just watch the tournament relaxed, but I hope either Vika, Aga, Li, Woz or Venus could win. (Yes I know no chance for Venus)

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
of course she does. Its one of two things she REALLY wants... Even though she has a FO title, its the only slam she doesnt have a multiple of... Shes going to choke at the Olympics too.