PDA

View Full Version : Johanna Konta

Pages : [1] 2

Just Do It
May 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
This girl is amazing. She is playing Mostar 10k this week and is doing pretty well, defeated 2 Serbian promising players easily.

She is in the semi final now.

QR1 Johanna KONTA AUS vs bye
QR2 Johanna KONTA AUS d. Ema POLIC SRB 62 60 :bolt:
QR3 Johanna KONTA AUS d. Nives PAVLOVIC SRB 61 60
R1 (6) Tamara STOJKOVIC CRO vs q Johanna KONTA AUS 57 16
R2 q Johanna KONTA AUS d. Zorica PETROV SRB 61 63 :bolt:
QF q Johanna KONTA AUS d. Anja PRISLAN SLO 64 61

Birth Date 17/05/1991
Birth Place Sydney, Australia
Residence London, Great Britain
Nationality Australia
Height 1.81m
Weight 64kg
Plays Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)

She is unranked !!!

OZTENNIS
May 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for this Just Do It, but I started a Johanna Konta thread last year...unfortunately, she has decided to represent Great Britain so we deleted the thread...the ITF and WTA are yet to recognise her as a British citizen, but it's only a matter of time :sad:

Dani12
May 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
:lol: If only..

Just Do It
May 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Well, all I have to say .... bitch :awww:

OZTENNIS
May 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
^^^
:yeah: best post I've read all day :lol:

JAMESYBABY!
May 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
she will be a brit :rocker2:,,, loving the new talent we have:D

OZTENNIS
May 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
^^^
Um, correction, that you steal :p

Dani12
May 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Those damn poachers :lol:

Just Do It
May 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Johanna KONTA (AUS) defeated Tereza MRDEZA (CRO) (7) 6-1 6-1

She's in the final. Impressive.

Since Johanna is still playing under Australian flag this thread should stay for now.

scottsue
May 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Jelena was going to play for them at some stage so too so better for them to take Johanna off us then Jelena! I would laugh when they find out that Anne Keothavong wants to become an Aussie!

Just Do It
May 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Johanna KONTA (AUS) defeated Janina TOLJAN (AUT) (5) 6-3 3-6 6-4
:)

Daniel.
May 12th, 2008, 04:48 AM
She might have a last minute change of heart like that Cyprus dude. Hopefully she stays Aussie otherwise i couldnt care less about how her future turns out.

scottsue
May 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
She might have a last minute change of heart like that Cyprus dude. Hopefully she stays Aussie otherwise i couldnt care less about how her future turns out.

Well said and I agree with you 100 percent! She has my support always when those three golden letters appear but without those...................who gives!

Just Do It
May 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
^^ Well, then you are not a true tennis fans.

scottsue
May 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
"Not a true tennis fans" ???????

Daniel.
May 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
^^ Well, then you are not a true tennis fans.

Its got nothing to do with that. I dont know anything about her. If she changed to GBR she would just be some British junior to me. I support every single Aussie girl and want them to be the best they can be but if she changed she wouldnt be one so why would i continue to support her if i dont know anything about her?

*gestures rude finger at u for trying to be a hard arse*

Just Do It
May 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah. I doubt you dont understand what my point is.

Just Do It
May 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Its got nothing to do with that. I dont know anything about her. If she changed to GBR she would just be some British junior to me. I support every single Aussie girl and want them to be the best they can be but if she changed she wouldnt be one so why would i continue to support her if i dont know anything about her?

*gestures rude finger at u for trying to be a hard arse*

Okay I understand that, but have to ask you and scottsue one more question, would you stop supporting Dokic if she would start representing other country ?

Daniel.
May 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Okay I understand that, but have to ask you and scottsue one more question, would you stop supporting Dokic if she would start representing other country ?

The difference between Dokic and Konta is i know nothing about Konta, whereas i have watched Dokic news and results for years. To answer that question though, i would lose ALOT of respect for Dokic for screwing Australia around the way she has (if she switched natio's). I wouldnt care as much about how her career turns out because she wouldnt be an Aussie and i wouldn't browse through all her forums finding out gossip because i wouldnt care moreover i wouldnt like her for using us and then wiping us away like a dirty arse.

Just Do It
May 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
^ So, the answer is no. And it shows you are not a real Jelena Dokic fan. All Australians stopped supporting Jelena when she switched to Serbia in 2001, and then started supporting her again in 2006, that is pretty lame. I am still her huge ( the biggest ) fan,even though she plays for Australia, and I do not have anything to do with Australia. It just shows I am a fan of Jelena Dokic, not of Australia, Serbia or whatever.

Anyway this discussion is completely unnecessary.

Daniel.
May 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
^ So, the answer is no. And it shows you are not a real Jelena Dokic fan. All Australians stopped supporting Jelena when she switched to Serbia in 2001, and then started supporting her again in 2006, that is pretty lame. I am still her huge ( the biggest ) fan,even though she plays for Australia, and I do not have anything to do with Australia. It just shows I am a fan of Jelena Dokic, not of Australia, Serbia or whatever.

Anyway this discussion is completely unnecessary.

You are pretty lame!
And the answer was not just "no", there was alot more to it than that and i explained how and why i would stop liking her because i would have something against her GIVING ME VERY GOOD REASON to reduce the support that i give her.

For now i love her to death, if she backstabbed my country i would dislike her and she would deserve every criticism Australians threw at her!

Just Do It
May 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
You are pretty lame!
And the answer was not just "no", there was alot more to it than that and i explained how and why i would stop liking her because i would have something against her GIVING ME VERY GOOD REASON to reduce the support that i give her.

For now i love her to death, if she backstabbed my country i would dislike her and she would deserve every criticism Australians threw at her!

You go man, what a fan :bowdown:

Harvs
May 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
thats how most australians would feel... it doesnt make them less of a fan... its simply that we were screwed over before when she left and if she were to do it again of course aussies are going to lose a bit of respect and interest in her... its what happens:shrug:

if molik, stosur or dellacqua switched natio's i wouldnt follow them as much as before. but probably the same amount as i support like ivanovic and jankovic now...

patriotism is a powerful thing and theres nothing wrong with that:)

Daniel.
May 12th, 2008, 10:44 PM
You go man, what a fan :bowdown:

How old are you?? Surely not over 15 or 16.....

Thanks Harvs for supporting what i said. This moron clearly doesnt understand what im trying to say no matter how simply i try to word it.

Vicky88
May 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Have to say that I agree with Harvs and Dan ... when Dokic left before I no longer supported her. When she came back, as an Australian she instantly had my support. If she walks again, she will instantly drop off my radar.

You have to remember that it is about more than being a fan of a player ... it is about supporting your nation. Many Australians feel Jelena did screw us over when she received so much support.

Golovinjured.
May 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
The way I see it there are two Jelena's. There's Jelena the tennis player, and Jelena the Australian.

As a tennis player, she definately floats my boat. I will always be a fan of hers for her game, fantastic off the ground with punishing groundies, and that well disguised, oh-so-delicate backhand dropshot. For her game, I will always be a fan.

As an Australian however, you could understand skeptical Australian fans. The first time she left Australia, I know I was disappointed, but I also knew that her father had played a large role in that decision - she was still a kid. However, it's well known that alot of money was spent on Jelena's development, and to leave over one bad draw was really ludicrous, and what made it worse was that she refused to return to Australia to play at all, which would have also let down many Australian fans.

Then in 2006, she'd seperated herself from her father, and wanted to be Australian again - which to me showed her love for this country, and the gratitude she'd given her all the opportunities she'd recieved - AND WE WERE VERY GLAD TO WELCOME HER BACK! :) Tennis Australia was very supportive through WC's and facilities, and they were happy to see Jelena use them - but then she faded away again - and re-appeared in late 2007, to our delight.

I can understand TA being cautious with there assets this time, and I think Jelena was very lucky to get the opportunities that she got this time around in '08. The wildcards were again at her disposal and she used AUSTRALIAN Wildcards - meant for AUSTRALIAN players. If Jelena were to represent another nation again - to Australians - it would seem as though she just used our country as a way of getting going again.

If she did decide to represent Serbia again, the question for Jelena fans would be - What do you love more - Jelena Dokic, the tennis player or Australia, the country? If it were the latter, then you very well not be a Jelena fan anymore, as you've seen her actions as just using Australia to get a headstart and then leaving it behind her. That's my outlook anyway :shrug:

Golovinjured.
May 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
:lol: Completely forgot that this was a thread about Johanna Konta! In her case, I don't feel at all as though she 'used' Australia, because it appears as though she's spent a large amount of time in Britain, and has developed through there facilities.

While Dokic has used AUSTRALIAN Wildcards and AUSTRALIAN facilities quite happily, but that's OK as long as she remains Australians. Otherwise she will look like she's just been using Australia to get ahead, even though I'll still be a fan, and a huge one at that :p

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Bump!
Johanna played at Roland Garros under the Australian flag, but lost in the first round. She then played at the Roehampton ITF Junior Championships, again as an Australian. Now at Junior Wimbledon, Konta is playing for Australia once more. Now surely, if the same rules applied to Konta as to Gajdosova and Rodionova, she would have elected to play for Great Britain...but she is listed as Australian. Amongst the juniors on the LTA site, Konta is not mentioned...

Maybe she and her family reached some sort of agreement like Andrew Thomas and his family :shrug:

One things certain, let's hope we can hang on to her as she has obviously got talent :yeah:

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
She is the tenth seed for Junior Wimbledon and is currently on court against Monica Gorny from South Africa. Konta won the first 7-5 and is up 1-0 15-40 with Gorny serving...
Let's go Johanna :)

I wish there was a way for us to know where her long term allegiances lie.

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
She is cruising now :)
7-5 4-0 30-30 and serving

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Game Point for a 5-0 lead :D

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
7-5 5-0
:worship:

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Serving for the match 7-5 5-1

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
30-0

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
30-30, come on Jo, close it out

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Mp, 40-30 :d

OZTENNIS
Jun 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Konta (10) def. Gorny 7-5 6-1 :)
Nice win, good luck in RD2

TS
Jun 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
10th seed?!?! I had no idea she was ranked that high in juniors. Wow. Hopefully we get to keep her LOL.

scottsue
Jun 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I agree with TS! Stay with us!

Dani12
Jun 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
As Oztennis said, surely she woudld have been able to play under GBR is she wanted to at Wimbledon. Its a good sign that she didn't, so maybe she will stay :D

OZTENNIS
Jun 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
^^^
yes, let's hope :lol:

Here is a pic of Johanna from the TA site from Wimbledon :)

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM39628.4312157407&blobType=landscape

scottsue
Jun 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
A very pretty young lady as well. I hope TA are really trying to keep her on their good side!

Just Do It
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yay :)

azza
Jun 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
isnt she GRB?

OZTENNIS
Jun 30th, 2008, 06:58 AM
She has **apparently** applied for British citizenship as she lives in the UK. But if she was interested in representing GBR, she would be playing for them at Wimbledon, of all places (they allowed Gajdosova and Rodionova to play for AUS instead of SVK and RUS).

scottsue
Jun 30th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I reckon it is good sign.

OZTENNIS
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM
:sad:
I did a Google News Search of Johanna and found this:

Johanna Konta, born in Sydney to Hungarian parents, is soon to be given British citizenship having just turned 17 . When that happens, she is likely to become Britain's leading female junior.
The granddaughter of Attila Kertesz, who played in Hungary's football team of the Fifties that starred Ferenc Puskas, she has divided her time between London and Spain since the age of 13 and her Australian accent has almost disappeared.
She is now based at Roehampton's National Tennis Centre and explained: 'I'm only playing as Australian now under a technicality as my passport is coming through this year. I am definitely becoming British. There is no going back.'

__
I'll blame this on TA too, they wouldn't have offered her any sort of alternative to remain Australian...
Looks like we've lost a good prospect here

scottsue
Jul 1st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Very disappointing!

Just Do It
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Konta def Windley 6-3 6-3

OZTENNIS
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Nice win, but expected :cool:
4/4 Aussies (including Konta for the time being) have made the 3rd Round of the girls singles :yeah:

She and Tyra also won their doubles :)

OZTENNIS
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Some statistics from Johanna's match yesterday:
18 Unforced Errors
3 Double Faults
24 Winners
11 Aces
61% of first serves in
Winning percentage of 91% on first serve
Winning percentage of 45% on second serve
Break points won 3/6
Total Points won 67.

I figured, whilst she is still playing for Australia, I might as well keep posting in this thread...
Nice win, some very impressive statistics there too. 11 aces, looks like she has a great serve. Also, 24 winners seems like she is handy off the ground. She now plays 5th seed Polona Hercog, who is Jessica Moore's doubles partner. Hercog is going to be HUGE. Although she is a natural claycourter, she has easily gotten through to this stage, and I think she will be too much for Johanna. Whoever wins this match looks likely to crack the top 10 on the ITF Junior Rankings for the first time too...

GOOD LUCK :)

OZTENNIS
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Polona Hercog (SLO) (5) defeated Johanna Konta (AUS) (10) 3-6 6-4 6-3

That's a shame...Hercog is best on clay, so I rated Johanna a chance here...oh well, bad luck :hug:

JAMESYBABY!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Jo :sad: cant wait till u beome brititsh :woohoo:

OZTENNIS
Jul 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I will continue posting in this thread until she has GBR written next to her name on either ITF/WTA.
Then I will get this thread moved to Strawberries and Cream forum.

$US25 000 Felixstowe ITF Women's Circuit Event - Felixstowe, Great Britain
Women's Singles, Main Draw of 32
Representing Australia, Johanna Konta, unseeded wildcard entrant

1st Round: defeated Jade WINDLEY (GBR) (Q/#873) 6-3 6-4
2nd Round: versus Irena PAVLOVIC (FRA) (3/#235)

Nice first up win. She also beat Windley at Junior Wimbledon last week by a similar scoreline.

With this, Konta will debut on the WTA Rankings at around No.790 :)

Just Do It
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Nice win, but if she beats Irena, that's gonna be amazing.

OZTENNIS
Mar 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
This is the thread that some people couldn't find about Johanna.

Obviously she is still in limbo in regards to citizenship, ala Jarmila Groth and Anastasia Rodionova.

She recently made the final of a 25k in the UK, beating No.8 seed Marinne Giraud 3-6 6-2 6-3, No.1 seed Corinna Dentoni 6-3 3-6 6-2 and top 300 ranked Anna Floris 6-3 3-6 6-3 before losing in the final to third seed Katie O'Brien 3-6 6-2 6-4.

She is now back in the US, where she beat Christina McHale (American Australian Open WC recipient) 6-2 3-6 6-1 in the final round of qualifying for a 25k in Redding. In the first round of the main draw she faces Madison Brengle.

With her 25k final, Konta has soared up the rankings to No.497. She has been a bit lax about returning to Australia as she hasn't played any of the summer junior tournaments or travelled with any of the Brits down here to play in the 25k events...I wonder why??

Good luck vs. Brengle :)

OZTENNIS
Mar 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Here are some pics, for those who have no idea what she looks like...

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM39692.5249534144&blobType=landscape
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v223/1226/93/n517092672_5860.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2634591533_eaa609b35a.jpg?v=0

Golovinjured.
Mar 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Is she going to be a briton?

OZTENNIS
Mar 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
^^^
I think so.
The LTA have given her several wildcards into British ITFs, but she has been seeking citizenship as long as Groth and Rodionova. She has played all of the Grand Slams as an Australian, despite surely having the same opportunity as Groth and Rodionova to switch allegiances. And in an article I read last year about lack of depth and some accusations made by Jason Stoltenberg, TA made no comment on Konta officially leaving Australia for the UK, which Stoltenberg did comment on. TA said something like ''her father moved there for work, and that's why she is based there.''

Dani12
Mar 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
In that picture she is playing with Tyra Calderwood, so maybe she is just living in Britain? Who knows?

jack21
Jun 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Can someone please tell me what is going on with Johanna? She is still officially playing for Aus and was not given any form of WC for Wimbledon and wasn't even in the pre-qualifying tournament. She is through to the 2nd roung of a 25K in the US after she crushed the second seed in her first match. I hope she stays an Aussie as she seems very promising.

Golovinjured.
Jun 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Jojo :inlove:

Stay plz.

TS
Jun 10th, 2009, 08:09 AM
She is in the Aussie watch section of the TA website this week. They even have her photo headlining it. But someone needs to tell them that she is NOT the tournament's 2nd seed, her opponent was :lol:

OZTENNIS
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM
***UPDATE***

R2: Johanna KONTA (AUS) defeated Shikita UBEROI (IND) 7/6(6) 6/2

Into the quarter finals. Wish she would state which country she is going to represent...

ozfan44
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I hadn't taken much note of her results of recent times as presumed she was in the same boat as Groth and was actually a pom just waiting for the paperwork to come through....here's hoping she sticks with it....some impressive results so far this week in the us!!

Slutiana
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Its only a matter of time before this thread is moved. :p :lol:

Just Do It
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I dont get people who support players just if they represent their country. Those people are not a true tennis fans.

Vicky88
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Have to disagree with you. I support any player that plays for Australia. However, that does not preclude me from supporting players from other countries. That is like saying that anyone who jumps on the bandwagon of the latest upcoming player is not a true supporter. There are so many people on this board who are only interested in the big name players, these players at the lower end of the totem pole need support and they are most likely going to find it among their countrymen. Personally I love it when an underdog does in a big name as I like to see the spoils shared.

Daniel.
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I dont get people who support players just if they represent their country. Those people are not a true tennis fans.

Not this again you idiot

ozfan44
Jun 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Have to disagree with you. I support any player that plays for Australia. However, that does not preclude me from supporting players from other countries. That is like saying that anyone who jumps on the bandwagon of the latest upcoming player is not a true supporter. There are so many people on this board who are only interested in the big name players, these players at the lower end of the totem pole need support and they are most likely going to find it among their countrymen. Personally I love it when an underdog does in a big name as I like to see the spoils shared.

Agreed!!

JustDoIt....i continued to support Dokic when she left australia as did many people....and have been long time supporters of Sugiyama and Tanasugarn and a number of British players.....as have many posters in this thread with non-aussie players.... i think you are taking what we wrote the wrong way!!

Vicky88
Jun 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
See Konta won a $25k last week. Wish we knew what the deal was with her representation. As someone said earlier she does seem to have a fair bit of potential. It is odd that the Brits did leave her out of their Wimby calcs, as Oz still consider Rodders and Groth for opps in Oz even tho neither has citizenship.

louloubelle
Jun 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
See Konta won a $25k last week. Wish we knew what the deal was with her representation. As someone said earlier she does seem to have a fair bit of potential. It is odd that the Brits did leave her out of their Wimby calcs, as Oz still consider Rodders and Groth for opps in Oz even tho neither has citizenship.
Theyve given qual/maindraw w/c's to non-Brit players this year and in the past so the All England isn't against the idea of rewarding foreign talent - therefore you'd think they wouldn't be adverse to giving a w/c to a part-Brit anyway. Maybe she's changed her mind :confused:

Just Do It
Jun 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Not this again you idiot

:unsure: :scared:

Joe.
Jul 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
well she trains i london and has done for a long time, so im guessing she feels more british then she does australian:) but either way shes still a great talent:D

Vicky88
Jul 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
well she trains i london and has done for a long time, so im guessing she feels more british then she does australian:) but either way shes still a great talent:D

No-one is arguing about her ability, all everyone seems to want is clarification - is she going to remain an Aussie or is she going to become a whinging Pom? Whatever she does, I wish her luck with her career, but I would like to know what her intention is.

lovethegame
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
does not train in london trains in Texas......at a well known past Aussie player place ...for the last year....how can she get a british passport?????

lovethegame
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
oh and yes very good player....love her serve

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
^^
Ohhh, interesting...
Thank you for posting :D

Looks like John Newcombe may have just saved us from losing one of our best prospects :bounce: :bounce:
I always knew there was a reason why he commentates at Wimbledon :p

Dani12
Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:57 AM
^^
Ohhh, interesting...
Thank you for posting :D

Looks like John Newcombe may have just saved us from losing one of our best prospects :bounce: :bounce:
I always knew there was a reason why he commentates at Wimbledon :p

:confused: What did I miss?

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
^^
lovethegame stated at the top of the page that Johanna has been training for the past year in Texas.

John Newcombe owns a tennis academy in Texas, so I am (perhaps unwisely) assuming that she is training at his ranch.

Nothing was said or done by John Newcombe at Wimbledon, but maybe he didn't want to see an Aussie talent go to waste and offered her a spot over in Texas. It certainly explains why she has played the vast majority of her tennis in North America this year.

It would be a good sign if she came out to play the Aussie challengers after the US Open, too.

serenus_2k8
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Any update on if shes converting from the dark side or not?

GeeTee
May 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well it will be a Happy Birthday for Johanna tommorrow when she can look back at the last week as probably her best ever. GL in the final against LLW, Jo.

Territory
May 16th, 2010, 03:13 AM
She'll be into the Top 300 now (The 13th Aussie in the Top 300!).

Hope she continues playing for Australia... the poms would spew.

Slutiana
May 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM
She'll be into the Top 300 now (The 13th Aussie in the Top 300!).

Hope she continues playing for Australia... the poms would spew.
:mad::mad::mad: The girl is ours!

GeeTee
May 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Her ranking will end up around 267 after this!

Just Do It
May 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Who started a rumor she will play for UK anyway ?That story is going on for years but still nothing happened ?

Daniel K
May 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM
We need an interview from her to set the record straight. Of course we're going to claim her for the time being while she's doing well :angel:

louloubelle
May 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Surely if she was playing for the UK she'd be getting some assistance in the next month or so with w/c's into quallies or even the maindraw of Wimbledon/WTA events (worse players have received more!). We should have an indication soon.

TS
May 17th, 2010, 04:16 AM
^ True. But on the flipside, she has never ever been in consideration for any Aussie WCs either. I don't think she's even set foot in this country for a number of years. I know she has AUS next to her name, but to me that's just a technicality. I don't consider her an Aussie player at all.

GeeTee
May 17th, 2010, 06:41 AM
As I said in the GM thread on her:

She's taking a while with the paperwork...

In a Times article from July 2008 by Neil Harman titled 'Is Laura Robson's passport ethically right?', Konta was quoted as saying: "I'm only playing as [an] Australian now under a technicality as my passport is coming through this year."

I see she last played a tournament in Britain sixteen months ago.

GeeTee
May 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
^ True. But on the flipside, she has never ever been in consideration for any Aussie WCs either. I don't think she's even set foot in this country for a number of years. I know she has AUS next to her name, but to me that's just a technicality. I don't consider her an Aussie player at all.

Fair enough, but she still appears on the TA rankings and I presume she is flying around the world on an Australian passport, despite not playing in an official Australian team since 2004/5.

louloubelle
May 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Agree, I think it hasn't been a priority to make the change as yet. As she trains in the US, she may opt for a US passport.

If she continues to rise up the ranks and the lure of Fed Cup and more importantly Olympics beckons, she make her mind up pretty quickly.... if she hasn't done so already.

Osomec
Jun 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM
In this video, filmed last month, Konta states that she lives in London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wuYM-sHM8

An attachment to a foreign tennis academy would not necessarily be considered to determine her usual place of residence, any more than attending a university changes someone's usual place of residence, which is conventionally considered to remain their parents' house, at least that is the way these things are viewed in the UK, which is what is relevant. Andy Murray trained in California for a time, and Laura Robson is attached to an academy in Paris, but I'm sure both of them would regard the UK as their normal place of residence.

JK needs to have lived in the UK for four years before she can apply for British citizenship, in line with the usual rules here in the UK. My understanding is that her four years are up in August. Thus the delay is not only predictable, but mandatory. Under the standard conditions, the applicant must not spend more than 90 days a year outside the UK during the four year term. I trust that this will be waived for a tennis player (though immigration officials can be pretty dense at times).

Laura Robson is a minor, so she automatically acquired the citizenship of her father, who applied for UK citizenship at a time when he met the four year rule.

Vaxey
Dec 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
She will not play in AO... When she'll come back?
photos from Waterloo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/3670310738_7c83835a74.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/3669505699_0077d3ab68.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3669507967_32c0896eb2.jpg

AYUMI-GOAT
Dec 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I don't know, maybe she is injured?

Vaxey
Dec 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Is it true that Johanna will play for UK? :o

Territory
Jan 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
The new Aussie rankings are out: http://rankings.tennis.com.au/

Johanna has made it to #10 but note that she's the only one with no photo and no player bio :tape:

She'll be 20 in May. When is she going to start playing for UK, if it all?? I notice it was pretty easy for Moriarty to start representing Ireland... would love to know the real story with Johanna.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:33 AM
:eek::eek::eek: I use to hit with Johanna back in 2002-2005 at Sydney Homebush. :tape: I can't believe she might represent the UK.

Dani12
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Her accent is weird, if I had to pick I'd say it sounds British. Guess it would have to be pretty cosmo by now, eh.

Hakapeszi
Mar 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
$25,000 Irapuato 2011

Doubles Final

BABOS (HUN) / KONTA (AUS) defeated HARKINS (USA) / ROTTMANN (AUT) 6-3 6-4

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190480_202550619773853_146577162037866_673038_5813 670_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197034_202550566440525_146577162037866_673037_2248 650_n.jpg

Dani12
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
It is just me...or does she actually look English.. She gives off an English vibe :lol: If that is even possible.

jack21
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
It's hard to say, you can't really see her teeth in those pics.

Juanes
Jun 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
she plays WTA Copenhagen this week.... started great... won 1st round qualifying against Grage (DEN) 6-1, 6-3

Territory
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Congrats to Johanna who has qualified in Copenhagen and will make her WTA Main Draw debut! :)

She did well in qualifying too, beating the 4th seed Koryttseva and then today 8th seed Ahsha Rolle in straight sets.

Good work! She'll draw either Dokic, Safarova or another qualifier.

ozfan44
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Good work Johanna

GeeTee
Jun 6th, 2011, 09:53 PM
and it's Safarova she plays tonight

petey_pan
Jun 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
She has taken the first set off Safarova 64 with some brilliant serving and very solid groundies. It's a shame we are going to lose her she definitely has some game. The commentator did confirm she has applied for and is waiting for British citizenship for those who were still unsure.

Chris93
Jun 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
What the? Huge shock. Wish she wasnt leaving Aus:sad:

TS
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
What the? Huge shock. Wish she wasnt leaving Aus:sad:

Are you kidding me??? This is not a huge shock at all. You've all been clinging to this false hope that she's gonna stick around, but that's all it is. False hope. She's going and never had any intention of playing for us..

petey_pan
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Are you kidding me??? This is not a huge shock at all. You've all been clinging to this false hope that she's gonna stick around, but that's all it is. False hope. She's going and never had any intention of playing for us..

maybe huge shock that she won the set???

TS
Jun 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes perhaps you are right :lol:

Langers
Jun 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Lets say she somehow qualifies for Wimbledon, and wins it...

Is she playing as an Aussie?

Cause I'd freaking well claim it!! :lol:

RandomShot
Jun 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Pretty much expected regarding British citizenship.

64 57 36 loss to Safarova :hug:.

Just Do It
Jun 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Those rumors of Konta representing UK are going for 3 years now, yet she is still playing for Australia ?

Territory
Jun 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM
IIRC, she served for the match against Safarova :tape:

dos Santos
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
WTA.2011.Copenhagen.WS.R1.Safapova.vs.Konta.Parts
Part1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1M3VLC3G
Part2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=38YT2FQ3

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
:( Jo-Ko should go for Wimby qualies

dok-stos
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I wish Britain would take her already!!!

Sammo
Aug 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM
daHoeZiwIsE

She looks good, good luck in your career

RandomShot
Aug 21st, 2011, 03:23 AM
Lost in QR1 of the Bronx $50,000 in 3 sets :hug:.

AYUMI-GOAT
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
^ That was a few weeks ago?
In July she played 2 Britain tournaments, she won 1 and then the other one she was playing good before she had to withdraw.
She also had just played the Dallas qualifying, but lost to Chanelle Scheepers in straight sets.

RandomShot
Aug 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah Bronx qualies were about a fortnight ago (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100024827).

Chris93
Sep 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
Konta had a good first round win 6-3 6-3 against the number 4 seed in Great Britan 75K Challenger.

AYUMI-GOAT
Sep 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
:banana: Good luck JoKo

Territory
Jan 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for this Just Do It, but I started a Johanna Konta thread last year...unfortunately, she has decided to represent Great Britain so we deleted the thread...the ITF and WTA are yet to recognise her as a British citizen, but it's only a matter of time :sad:

Okay 3.5 years on and JoKo *still* has AUS next to her name. WTF is going on? In that time Jarka, Nastya and Sacha all started playing for AUS and Moriarty fled to Ireland. Surely, if she was gonna change it would've happened by now - she's nearly 21...

AYUMI-GOAT
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
What's happening with her?:shrug:

Chilenaitor
Jan 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
she plays tournaments soon?

AYUMI-GOAT
Jan 10th, 2012, 12:00 AM
JoKo is now in 25k Innisbrook!

Tough RD1 though. Against Lauren Davis.

Territory
Jan 18th, 2012, 11:49 PM
JoKo had a good win in USA over #2 seed Giorgi, ranked #153. She flogged her, winning 6-2 6-1. :)

AYUMI-GOAT
Feb 1st, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joko plays in Rancho Santa Fe this week. She faces #1 seed Coco Vandeweghe :unsure:

AYUMI-GOAT
Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Johanna won her first round by retirement when Coco retired. At 1-1 in sets.

Next Opponent = Krista Hardebeck.

AYUMI-GOAT
Feb 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM
JoKo now in the final of Rancho Mirage :cheer:

Maza1987
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Some pics of Joko I took from day 3 of Bath. Will post videos later as well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/7010581687_5f449b02e3_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010581687/)
Johanna Konta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010581687/) by Ali Tennis Pics (http://www.flickr.com/people/alitennispics/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7010582671_57aa13734a_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010582671/)
Johanna Konta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010582671/) by Ali Tennis Pics (http://www.flickr.com/people/alitennispics/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/6864469802_2ca53837fa_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/6864469802/)
Johanna Konta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/6864469802/) by Ali Tennis Pics (http://www.flickr.com/people/alitennispics/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/7010584599_83b108c205_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010584599/)
Johanna Konta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010584599/) by Ali Tennis Pics (http://www.flickr.com/people/alitennispics/), on Flickr

Full Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/sets/72157629282039170/detail/

Embittered
Mar 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Some pics of Joko I took from day 3 of Bath.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/7010584599_83b108c205_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010584599/)
Johanna Konta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alitennispics/7010584599/) by Ali Tennis Pics (http://www.flickr.com/people/alitennispics/), on Flickr
Did you catch her eye for the last pic, or were you near her people?;)

Maza1987
Mar 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Was standing right next to her coach.:)

AYUMI-GOAT
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
JoKo is actually really good.

She is way better than her rank. She should be ranked up way higher.

Invisible Fan
Apr 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM
She is through to the last round of qualifying for the Wozniacki Open.

AYUMI-GOAT
Apr 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I hope she qualifies and gets Parmentier in R1 :oh:

I told ya she was good.

chingching
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Those damn poachers :lol:

we can barely talk (rodionova sisters + jarka :haha:)

Invisible Fan
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Johanna plays Pervak tomorrow.

AYUMI-GOAT
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Well I don't know who to go for :shrug:

I want JoKo to make a breakthrough at this tournament (like she did last year) Qualified and defended points :cheer:
But I also think that Ksenia might have a good chance at this tournament.

Sammo
Apr 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Defeated Ksenia 6-3 1-0 RET., get well Ksenia :) Petra Martic next

AYUMI-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Good luck JoKo :cheer:

petey_pan
Apr 11th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I agree she is much better than her rank it's only injuries that have stopped her climbing higher. When you look at her results she rarely loses she has great wins and takes somebody pretty good to beat her. It seems whenever she has a breakout result she goes missing for weeks.

AYUMI-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
JoKo :banana:

This is kinda winnable against Martic ;)

Hope she doesn't choke :unsure:

Sammo
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Too many errors

AYUMI-GOAT
Apr 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
With this new update JoKo has moved up from 234 to 211! :cheer: Keep going JoKo.

Shes in 50k Dothan QR1: (6)Johanna Konta (AUS) d. (wc)Simone Kalhorn (USA) 60 60
QR2: (6)Johanna Konta (AUS) vs. (wc)Shelby Rogers (USA)

Maza1987
May 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry lads, but you've poached your fair share of players so you can have no complaints.
http://beta.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100056016

To be fair, she's lived here since she was 12 or something:)

Maza1987
May 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wohooo.
Finally officially gets citizenship.
Surely a Wimby WC?

Joe.
May 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
:woohoo:

At last!

Here she sounds British but with an australian twang! I take it she's been living in the uk for quite a long time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wuYM-sHM8

Hakapeszi
May 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
TF mods usually move the old player thread to the new country

Vicky88
May 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
i'm pleased for her that it has all been worked out for her. It can't have been easy for her straddling the Aussie/GBR divide, not getting WCs from either nation. I wish her the best of luck in her career. Who knows, will she get a WC for Wimby?

scheele
May 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Welcome johanna.:kiss:

Territory
May 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Well it was nice that she added some depth to our cohort over the past few years. I wonder when the WTA will change her over?

All the best JoKo. It will still be kinda funny if/when she finally decides to play in Australia.

AYUMI-GOAT
May 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Finally lol, good luck in the future as GBR JoKo, i willl still support you ;)

vaslav37
May 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
will Konta get a MDWC for Wimbledon instead of Melanie South?

Joe.
May 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Why 'instead'? :lol:

Maza1987
May 31st, 2012, 08:05 PM
will Konta get a MDWC for Wimbledon instead of Melanie South?

There's more than enough to go around for the Brits. It's not like we're spoilt for choice with WC nominations who meet the criteria.

vaslav37
Jun 1st, 2012, 02:59 PM
I think Mel South should get a MDWC this year..

BlueTrees
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
This thread needs to be moved to "Strawberries and Cream" :wavey:

All the best JoKo. It will still be kinda funny if/when she finally decides to play in Australia.

No offence but it's not like the public cares when nobody knows who she is. :lol:

Territory
Jun 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
No offence but it's not like the public cares when nobody knows who she is. :lol:

I was only referring to us tennis nerds, not the general public. I'm well aware that only hardcore tennis nerds would have ever heard of Johanna Konta.

dok-stos
Jun 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM
I guess the Poms needed two players to match us nabbing Bains :drool:
Though Konta could still be better then Robson in due time :shrug:
Good luck though JoKo :cheer:
I look forward to you taking on an Aussie :armed:

petey_pan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
She will probably do better now I think that she can finally play for the country she wants to. Hopefully she's ready for Wimbledon - she qualifies for their "top 250 get WC" rule so should be interesting to see.

BlueTrees
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:35 AM
I was only referring to us tennis nerds, not the general public. I'm well aware that only hardcore tennis nerds would have ever heard of Johanna Konta.

Ah, I see. ;) Anyway, seriously, good luck to her. I'm glad she got what she wanted. :)

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
WTA still hasn't changed her :oh:

WIMBY
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I think Mel South should get a MDWC this year..

:)

Hakapeszi
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Konta in cash row as Sutton Tennis Academy chase almost £3,000 from father (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2152425/Konta-cash-row-Sutton-Tennis-Academy-chase-3-000-father.html)

The newest recruit to the ranks of British tennis is at the centre of a financial row, with her father the subject of a county court judgment for non-payment of fees to one of the country’s top academies.

Gabor Konta, whose Australian-born daughter Johanna, 21, became British No 6 when she switched nationality on Tuesday, is being chased for money by the Sutton Tennis Academy in Surrey.

She trained there for 11 months four years ago. Owner Keith Soll became so frustrated with the family failing to pay that he obtained a judgment against Gabor Konta for almost £3,000.

But attempts by bailiffs to recover the money have been hampered by their inability to find the family, who are believed to be based in Eastbourne.

‘We have been chasing the money and would like to recover it as we are a commercial operation that needs to make ends meet,’ said Soll.

‘We have no issue with Johanna herself, who is a nice girl and very promising player. We wish her every success but would just like what is owed.’

The LTA, who appear to have shown remarkably little solidarity with one of the UK’s top independent centres, are unlikely to intervene.

‘We continue to support Johanna and Sutton Tennis Academy but this is a matter between Sutton and Gabor Konta,’ said a spokesperson.

Joe.
Jun 4th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Not another crazy tennis Dad :sobbing:

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hopefully some WC into Birmingham, Eastbourne or Wimbledon. Is she in Nottingham list for Next week?

edit: Yes shes in QD for Nottingham, maybe she will sneak into MD without a WC.

Hakapeszi
Jun 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Watson has no issues with new Brit Konta (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2154183/World-Tennis-Heather-Watson-issues-new-Brit-Johanna-Konta.html)

"About 10pm on Thursday last week, after she had lost in the French Open second round, I asked Heather Watson what she thought about the arrival of Johanna Konta into the British ranks as the national No 6, following her awarding of citizenship from Australia.

'She’s a nice girl and a good player, I think she’ll be good to have around,' said Watson." Read more (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2154183/World-Tennis-Heather-Watson-issues-new-Brit-Johanna-Konta.html)

Embittered
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I guess the Poms needed two players to match us nabbing Bains :drool:
Though Konta could still be better then Robson in due time :shrug:
Good luck though JoKo :cheer:
I look forward to you taking on an Aussie :armed:You may be joking, but I've mislaid my sense of humour:(. Although she retained, by default, Australian nationality until her early teens, Robson emigrated before she was 2, bit of a stretch to say we nabbed her, and if we did, Singapore would arguably have a stronger claim on her than Australia. But I don't think she picked up a racket till she got here.

Question is, am I going to press "submit" on this crud? I rather fear that I am...

BlueTrees
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
You may be joking, but I've mislaid my sense of humour:(. Although she retained, by default, Australian nationality until her early teens, Robson emigrated before she was 2, bit of a stretch to say we nabbed her, and if we did, Singapore would arguably have a stronger claim on her than Australia. But I don't think she picked up a racket till she got here.

Question is, am I going to press "submit" on this crud? I rather fear that I am...

Well we lost Robson and Konta and got Dokic, Gajdosova, Rodionova, Bains, etc. So I think we win. :oh:

Embittered
Jun 4th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Anyhow, what would people think, Just Do It in particular, about asking for this thread to be moved to S&C? Or do we just let this thread fall into obsolescence and go with the usurper already in place?

Vicky88
Jun 4th, 2012, 08:20 PM
You know it's not a competition. I don't think that any of the players mentioned can be claimed by the country of birth as responsible for their success because they had moved before their careers took off.

Hakapeszi
Jun 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/JoKonta91

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 7th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Well shes friends with the Brits, inc. Francesca Stephenson who lost to an Aussie this week :oh:

scheele
Jun 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
WooHoo we got a new player. I hope she can proper kick on from here now.

Princess Fiona
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Welcome, Johanna! Here's wishing her the best of luck :)

chingching
Jun 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
:woohoo:

At last!

Here she sounds British but with an australian twang! I take it she's been living in the uk for quite a long time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wuYM-sHM8

I like her just because of the teddy :)

Material World
Jun 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yay, great to see this get sorted out for Johanna - hope she can focus on improving her ranking now..

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 11th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Its official now! WTA has listed her under GBR in the new rankings.

Does this thread get merged now?

Territory
Jun 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
No. We delete it and forget that she ever existed. Mwahahahahaha! :devil:

vaslav37
Jun 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM
now the British Number 5 above Broady...

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Shes in the draw for Nottingham :p

Plays Bychkova, is weird seeing here under GBR :sobbing:

Hakapeszi
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Its official now! WTA has listed her under GBR in the new rankings.

Does this thread get merged now?

Merged finally.

Hakapeszi
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Hopefully some WC into Birmingham, Eastbourne or Wimbledon. Is she in Nottingham list for Next week?

edit: Yes shes in QD for Nottingham, maybe she will sneak into MD without a WC.

Wimbledon WC announced

Joe.
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Will be interesting to see how she does :)

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 13th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Lost in a tight 3 setter :(

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Wimbledon WC announced

:banana: Hope she gets a good draw.

Hakapeszi
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Lost in a tight 3 setter :(

Johanna Konta @JoKonta91

First match on the grass since juniors, not the result I wanted but looking forward to the next one #happytobebritish #learnfromlosses

Maza1987
Jun 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
beat naomi today in the battle for who is the best of the rest (after our top 4 women)

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM
:banana:

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 17th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Johanna Konta @JoKonta91

First match on the grass since juniors, not the result I wanted but looking forward to the next one #happytobebritish #learnfromlosses

Is it because she only wanted to play on grass while representing GBR?

I wonder if she will try and attempt AO qualies.

Hakapeszi
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:05 AM
beat naomi today in the battle for who is the best of the rest (after our top 4 women)

Johanna Konta @JoKonta91

Definitely some of the strongest winds I've played in! Very happy to have gotten through today #Eastbourne #WTA #3rdsettiebreakers

Sweety Darling
Jun 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM
wtf??? we don't need more no hopers. No wonder Australians wern't bothered.

Joe.
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
wtf??? we don't need more no hopers. No wonder Australians wern't bothered.

You literally have nothing positive to say about any players in Strawberries and Cream so please stop posting

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
[28] Christina McHale (USA) v [WC] Johanna Konta (GBR)

hmmm?

Maza1987
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
poor draw.
but, who knows?

no-hay-igual
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Johanna and Laura with the hardest draws out of the Brits, but I gaurantee Johanna will give her all out there !!

BlueTrees
Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Tough draw :awww: Maybe she'll win a few games :hug:

Material World
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Will be interesting to see how the crowd takes to Johanna. It will help that she's inarguably cute and has a solid English accent ;)

Sammo
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
I spotted Johanna a year ago for the first time in videos and stuff, and thought she had a pretty damn good technique, so I've been supporting her ever since then. I definitely think she has future if she fixes a couple of things of her game, and the last time I thought someone had future was Sam Stosur back in 2008 ;)

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 23rd, 2012, 05:18 AM
Johanna and Laura with the hardest draws out of the Brits, but I gaurantee Johanna will give her all out there !!

Schiavone's crap on grass and lost to Doi 2 weeks ago :spit: So definitely winnable for Laura.

But this is a hard match for JoKo.

Embittered
Jun 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Nothing new, but in case anyone's interested: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/meet-the-hungaroaussie-brit-7878667.html

Material World
Jun 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM

You're not kidding - great fighting performance and so gutted that she didn't get McHale under pressure at 7-6 after breaking her serve the last two. Still she's shown loads of potential here. Just gutted they've gone off at 7-7 as I think McHale will be stronger tomorrow.

Well done Johanna - you are going in the sig......

Joe.
Jun 25th, 2012, 08:15 PM
OMG 7-7 final set :eek:

Keep fighting tomorrow Johanna, I like her attitude (and her backhand:p)

scandic78
Jun 25th, 2012, 08:22 PM
OMG 7-7 final set :eek:

Keep fighting tomorrow Johanna, I like her attitude (and her backhand:p)

This :yeah:

pesto
Jun 25th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Good effort. I think that McHale's big match experience will pull her through on the restart, but hope to be proven wrong.

Maza1987
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM
great play.
gl tomorrow,

Sammo
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I was impressed, much more than when I saw her play in Copenhague, she's got some big babe tennis :yeah:

scheele
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I kept flicking between johanna and heather's matches online. Very impressive. Hope she can see it through now. Hope the bloody rain stays away.

AYUMI-GOAT
Jun 26th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Keep going JoKo!!!

Some pics from Zimbio
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Johanna+Konta+Championships+Wimbledon+2012+xWt-MPgJSrjl.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Johanna+Konta+Championships+Wimbledon+2012+Cuwkg3_ cNfyl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Johanna+Konta+AEGON+International+Day+Three+jYREsm 5YVGhl.jpg

coyets
Jun 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Tough draw :awww: Maybe she'll win a few games :hug:

She has won 17 games so far. Is that more than you were expecting?

vaslav37
Jun 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
just lost 10-8 in the 3rd...

coyets
Jun 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Johanna was very close. I am sure she will be very disappointed, especially with 3/14 (21%) break point conversions, three of the fourteen coming in the last game of the match.

coyets
Jun 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I guess Konta and Broady get ignored a little in favour of the top 4 GB women...

On BBC Sport - Wimbledon 2012 day two Live - Johanna Konta was first mentioned in an apology at the beginning of the day that she had mistakenly been included in a list of British players who had lost in the first round, and the next time was to mention that a New York Times correspondent had reported that Christina McHale was serving for the match at 9-8. I am baffled by the lack of reporting about this exciting match on the part of the BBC. They would have had thousands of Brits glued to the text if they had reported on the eighteenth game point by point, and the seventeenth game had several deuces.

Joe.
Jun 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
:sobbing:

Great effort from Johanna! She's proven herself a true Brit by losing such a close match :p

:hug:

Material World
Jun 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM
On BBC Sport - Wimbledon 2012 day two Live - Johanna Konta was first mentioned in an apology at the beginning of the day that she had mistakenly been included in a list of British players who had lost in the first round, and the next time was to mention that a New York Times correspondent had reported that Christina McHale was serving for the match at 9-8. I am baffled by the lack of reporting about this exciting match on the part of the BBC. They would have had thousands of Brits glued to the text if they had reported on the eighteenth game point by point, and the seventeenth game had several deuces.

Yes, me too. Really exciting match and Johanna should have endeared herself to the British fans with this battling performance. She had game points on her serve at 8-8, and break points at 8-9. If she'd taken the 17th game I really think she would have gone on to win.

I will definitely be following her now and hope she can get closer to the top 100 now. Good luck Johanna :hug:

Tennistourer
Jul 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Here's a pic of Johanna at Eastbourne a couple of weeks back, playing on Court 1 against - ironically - Naomi Broady, in an 'all-British' :devil: match

Was amused when I spotted a particular flag fluttering away behind her !

AYUMI-GOAT
Jul 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM
In Lexington this week, takes on 2nd seed in singles and 1st seed in doubles :rolleyes:

AYUMI-GOAT
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM
She just beat Erika Sema !!! 76 in the third. Great job JoKo!

Mforensic
Jul 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Great win! She was down 1-6 4-1 before she stepped it up!

Material World
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Good win - maybe that Wimbledon marathon was good prep!

wales1994
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Lexington $50,000

1R: Konta bt Sema (2) [JPN] 1-6 6-4 7-6 (1) WR 126 :woohoo:
2R: Konta bt Albanese [USA] 6-1 1-6 7-5
QF: Konta bt Rogers (WC) [USA] 6-4 6-2
SF: vs Misaki Doi (4) [JPN) WR 127. COME ON JO!!!!

Joe.
Jul 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Great wins against Sema and Rogers! :eek:

Let's go Joko!

Mforensic
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Johanna is in the final winning 3-6 7-5 6-1 beating Doi!

wales1994
Jul 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM
:woohoo: GREAT week for her! Glad she's keeping up her Wimbledon form. :) How much would this result lift her ranking?

Mforensic
Jul 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Johanna lost to Glushko in the final, but a terrific week for her with some great wins! Lets hope she is inside the top 200 real soon!

Joe.
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Great week for her! Glushko is playing brilliantly recently so the final loss was definitely nothing to be ashamed of. :hug:

Hakapeszi
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
$100,000 Vancouver (CAN)

R1 Monique Adamczak (AUS) d. Johanna Konta (GBR) 64 61

:scratch:

Territory
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
The Aussie kicking the expat to the curb :armed:

Mforensic
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Won her first round match in the Bronx fairly easily!

Mforensic
Aug 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Beat Sema today 6-2 6-4 to move on through to the quarterfinals at the Bronx 50k!

goOudinUSA
Aug 10th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Go Johanna!

Mforensic
Aug 11th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Johanna retired today in her quaterfinal match. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Hakapeszi
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM
twitter

Johanna Konta @JoKonta91

Not fit enough for my match today.. Get healthy and be ready for the US Open next

Hakapeszi
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Johanna retired today in her quaterfinal match. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

too much duck ? :) :)

http://yfrog.com/key49fwj

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg734/scaled.php?tn=0&server=734&filename=y49fw.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Joe.
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
^^
That looks so good :drool:

AYUMI-GOAT
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
USO QR1: JoKo defeated Chang in straight sets.
Chang was the seeded player there so great to see Johanna knock her out and open the draw up really widely.

She now plays Nara for a chance in the Final Round of Qualifying, Nara's form has been terrible last couple of months so a REALLY great chance for JoKo to try and get her MD spot there.

AS_Mitchell
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Good win by Jo and with the seed now out of her section a good chance to get through qualifying :)

pesto
Aug 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
She beat Nara, 7-5, 6-2.

Plays Shuai Zhang for a place in the main draw.

Joe.
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
It's gonna be tough against Zhang but she can do it! :)

If she was to win today, she would be somewhat of an 'Asian Slayer' (def. Chang+Nara+Zhang) :lol:

wales1994
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Jo qualifies for the maindraw, she chocked away a 5-1 lead in the final set, but eventually pulled through 6-4 3-6 7-5 :woohoo: 2nd GS MD! :banana:

Maza1987
Aug 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
comonnn.great stuff

pesto
Aug 24th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Good girl!

That settles it. She can't be a Brit.

*hingis_forever*
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
She plays Timea Babos in the first round. I think she'll be happy with that draw. Obviously there are no easy opponents in a slam but that's about as good as she could hope for.

Material World
Aug 25th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah - well done Johanna :cheer:

Material World
Aug 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Fantastic first main draw slam win. Will do plenty for her ranking. :hearts:

Mforensic
Aug 28th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Nice to see her makkng strides as a Brit!

goOudinUSA
Aug 28th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Congrats on the win!!