PDA

View Full Version : Goerges out of RG but qualifies to Olympics thanks to Bartoli's absence

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM
(5)Serena Williams vs Virginie Razzano
Arantxa Rus vs Jamie Hampton

Elena Vesnina vs (Q)Heather Watson
(25)Julia Goerges vs Lucie Hradecka

Currently her virtual ranking is 26 and has 1790 points. If she gets to R3 (her draw pasted above) she will face most probably Serena who is out of her reach. Getting to R3 she will get another 155 points (she will have 1945 points). That means she will have as many points as 25th Petrova and 24th Cetkovska now have and can be either 24, 25 or 26. German requirement is that you have to be in top24 during the cut-off which is after RG. Would that be the most ridiculous situation in WTA history?

P.s. of course Cetkovska would have to lose to Johansson and Petrova lose to Scheepers in R2.

A'DAM
May 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM
She will go, They will have all 4 players in no matter what...

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
You don't understand. Germans have additional qualifying requirements. ;) Player has to be in top24 or make GS QF/Premier Mandatory SF in the past year.

chingching
May 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM
You don't understand. Germans have additional qualifying requirements. ;) Player has to be in top24 or make GS QF/Premier Mandatory SF in the past year.

Why do they have that additional requirement. Don't they want more athletes at the olympics???

Asif_Nawaz
May 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
What's the distinction between top 24 and 25? :S

BH both wings
May 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Why do they have that additional requirement. Don't they want more athletes at the olympics???

The policy in Germany is that only competitive athletes are send to the Olympic games. That means athletes who are able to get into the top8 of a competition (typical final round of a swimming or track discipline) or the QF of a knock-out tournament.

Juju Nostalgique
May 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
She still has to get to R3. :oh: :oh: :oh:

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
success is more important for them.
Anyway, if she gave a competitive match to Serena in R3 I think they would give her an exempt.

Lisickinator
May 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
The policy in Germany is that only competitive athletes are send to the Olympic games. That means athletes who are able to get into the top8 of a competition (typical final round of a swimming or track discipline) or the QF of a knock-out tournament.
And our NOC is smart enough to know that non-Top-24 players never have a chance to reach the QF. OK we even had two unseeded Germans in a Grandslam-SF last year but that's a completely different story.

Rest Maria!
May 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM
German rules seem quite draconian, you'd think with the biggest economy in Europe they'd be able to afford send 4 players to Olympic Games if they qualify according to international rules. :spit:

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I remember that situation with Marlene Weingartner :rolleyes:

Mixal
May 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Maybe Ana could borrow her VIP point.

Betten
May 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Belgium has exactly the same criteria :)

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Sweden as well. ;)
Poor Yanina and Sofia then.

stromatolite
May 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Why assume she won't beat Serena? She'll be the underdog so can just go for her shots, and she has a very good game on clay. If Serena is below her best she would definitely have a chance IMO.

Uranus
May 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I remember that situation with Marlene Weingartner :rolleyes:
Little reminder please? :)

Belgium has exactly the same criteria :)
Didn't know. Wouldn't they send Kim even though it's obvious she won't be top 24? :eek:

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Kim was in Australian Open SF - she qualifies.

mk27
May 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM
She will be in London because Kohlschreiber will be there as well even at #29 in the rankings.

serendipitynow
May 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Julia might beat Serena ala Makarova.. :oh:

Viktymise
May 29th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Miss Gorgeous has no chance of medalling since it's on grass, but still, the German way of thinking about this situation is retarded. Does that mean that only players with a legitimate chances of making the final 8 in every tournament should only be allowed to play? The whole tour may aswell be an exho circuit by that logic.

Miracle Worker
May 29th, 2012, 11:14 AM
She can play in Nottingham next week if she really wants to play in London.

jrm
May 29th, 2012, 11:22 AM
weird

QuestJon
May 29th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I thought about qualification for the Olympics
as a possible reason for Barthel going so weird.

After the Petkovic injury and the Goerges drop
she suddenly faced a chance.

She had to get good points in Strassbourg and RG.
It was just when she started to fail so badly.

lefty24
May 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Miss Gorgeous has no chance of medalling since it's on grass, but still, the German way of thinking about this situation is retarded. Does that mean that only players with a legitimate chances of making the final 8 in every tournament should only be allowed to play? The whole tour may aswell be an exho circuit by that logic.

Exactly! It's stupid and makes no sense at all.
It really sucks for Julia and other athletes who really deserve to go the Olympics.

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Little reminder please? :)

German tennis players Anca Barna and Marlene Weingartner won't be participating in the Athens Olympics, despite lobbying efforts by the Women's Tennis Assn. to change the decision of the German Olympic Committee.

The controversy had sparked a brief boycott threat by angered WTA players. That won't be happening, and ranking points will remain attached for this Olympic event. However, Larry Scott, WTA chairman and chief executive, spoke of future implications.

"I want to make it clear that regarding future Olympic Games, the WTA Tour has decided not to renew our existing Olympic agreement with the ITF [International Tennis Federation]," Scott said in a statement, "and ... the WTA Tour will only entertain a discussion regarding Olympic tennis event ranking points if there is a change in the policies and procedures of the IOC that provides a 100% guarantee that all eligible WTA Tour players based on rankings will be entered in the Olympic tennis event."

Barna and Weingartner qualified, in terms of ranking, but the German Olympic Committee imposed tougher standards -- reaching the semifinal of a Grand Slam event or the final of a Tier I tournament.

"Making the situation even more egregious is the German NOC's decision to make a special exemption for German male tennis player Florian Mayer, without any justification for why they would not make the same exception for Anca Barna and Marlene Weingartner," Scott said.

The players may enter the WTA event in Cincinnati -- the same week as the Olympic tennis tournament -- to earn ranking points.

mk27
May 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Barna and Weingärtner were ranked around #50 at this time, Görges is top 30 at the moment and even top 15 in the race.

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Barna and Weingärtner were ranked around #50 at this time, Görges is top 30 at the moment and even top 15 in the race.

For OG place it doesn't matter if you are No56 or No1...you qualified. It's a stupid rule by the German NOC anyway :shrug:

misty1
May 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM
She will be in London because Kohlschreiber will be there as well even at #29 in the rankings.

kohli has a chance to het his ranking into that desired position with a good performance this week. He's ranked 26 so he doesnt have far to go. A 3rd round would i think get him there

But i agree with the people who think this way of thinking is stupid. Really it makes no sense at all.Just because your ranked at a certain spot does not mean you will perform well. Julia could get there and outlast angelique for example

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
What's the distinction between top 24 and 25? :S

I know, right :lol: That would be rough if she missed it by 1 ranking point. I would hope the German tennis federation would make an exception and let her play :)

mk27
May 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
kohli has a chance to het his ranking into that desired position with a good performance this week. He's ranked 26 so he doesnt have far to go. A 3rd round would i think get him there

There are 6 players from spain in front of him, only 4 of them are nominated for the Olympic Games and Fish won't be there too.
That's enough for the top 24, because you don't have to count these players.

mk27
May 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
For OG place it doesn't matter if you are No56 or No1...you qualified. It's a stupid rule by the German NOC anyway :shrug:

No, because it isn't only in Tennis. The German NOC (DOSB) will only nominate athletes who have chances to be in the top 8 in their sports at the Olympic Games.

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
No, because it isn't only in Tennis. The German NOC (DOSB) will only nominate athletes who have chances to be in the top 8 in their sports at the Olympic Games.

"It's not about winning it's about participating"

That's it. So once again, stupid rule...

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM
There are 6 players from spain in front of him, only 4 of them are nominated for the Olympic Games and Fish won't be there too.
That's enough for the top 24, because you don't have to count these players.

You don't have to count them for the ATP/ITF rule, but I guess that the German NOC doesn't care who qualified, they just want their players to be Top 24/5 :rolleyes:

mk27
May 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
You don't have to count them for the ATP/ITF rule, but I guess that the German NOC doesn't care who qualified, they just want their players to be Top 24/5 :rolleyes:

German NOC doesn't count them too. You have to be in the top 24 of the "bereinigte Rangliste", that means without 5th or 6th best ranked players from other countries.

pesto
May 29th, 2012, 02:01 PM
The Olympic Games would not be able to make up even a 32-draw tourney if every country applied such logic.

(Top 24, plus slam QF-ists outside of that minus players who are ineligible for some othe reason, like Bartoli)

cowsonice
May 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
She signed up for Bad Gastien right after this..does that help? :confused:

TeamUla
May 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
No, Olympic list set after RG.

jrm
May 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
isn't Lopez ranked 16th in the world and he won't see Olympic MD in singles (only if they have WC for the winner) :lol:

faboozadoo15
May 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Just beat Serena. :lol: It's not as if she's hopeless. It's about time she had a good clay win...

It would be sad if she missed the cut by a single point. That's rather brutal for someone who always plays Fed Cup and such.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
May 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Belgian criteria is something like you have to reach at least once the 1/8 finals of a GS in the two years before the OG...
in Beijing two Belgian men (Rochus and Darcis?) went to court because they qualified according to international criteria but not national, and they got into the olympics like that...

I think it's a shame that you take away the opportunity for a player to participate in something as big as the Olympics if they are amongst the best 30 (or even 50) of the world... how many peopole can say they're one of the 50 best in the world in their sports?

lenas warriors
May 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
she may have a path to the quarters/semis if things keep going like they are on Chatrier!

Direwolf
May 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
(5)Serena Williams vs Virginie Razzano
Arantxa Rus vs Jamie Hampton

Elena Vesnina vs (Q)Heather Watson
(25)Julia Goerges vs Lucie Hradecka

Currently her virtual ranking is 26 and has 1790 points. If she gets to R3 (her draw pasted above) she will face most probably Serena who is out of her reach. Getting to R3 she will get another 155 points (she will have 1945 points). That means she will have as many points as 25th Petrova and 24th Cetkovska now have and can be either 24, 25 or 26. German requirement is that you have to be in top24 during the cut-off which is after RG. Would that be the most ridiculous situation in WTA history?

P.s. of course Cetkovska would have to lose to Johansson and Petrova lose to Scheepers in R2.

:lol::lol::lol:

Mashabator
May 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
:sobbing: if goerges can be solid she will probably make it now

babsi
May 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hopefully she can do it.

New Zealand is even tougher, top 16:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10809578

SeMany
Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
julia is now in an excellent position... with bartoli out for the olympics she's number 24 tied with cetkovska..:bowdown::bigclap:

schiavone and mchale lost today, and peng will very likely lose against scharapowa...

if kusnetzowa will pass julia it doesn't matter as then there were 5 russians ahaed of julia and one of them has to be eleminated...

very unreal that the next one zakopalova will go to the semis to overtake julia...

and if julia wins today she's 100% qualified:bounce:

TeamUla
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Julia finishes RG as 25th and will lack just 5 points to the Olympics. :hysteric:
I hope her National Olympic Comitee will give her some kind of exempt. :help:

deboraski
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
:sad: :no: :facepalm:

RobM88
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
You would think they certainly would - that is so marginal and on a good day (not today!) she could beat anyone. I think they will have to on the men's side with Kohlschreiber who's in the lower 20s in the rankings as well.

lupojohn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
They should. I think they will. Tell me how the Olympic selection system works. Is it straight rankings? If so, when is the cutoff date? And if she does miss, that umpire is to blame.

debby
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
They should. I think they will. Tell me how the Olympic selection system works. Is it straight rankings? If so, when is the cutoff date? And if she does miss, that umpire is to blame.

how :spit:

stromatolite
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Really feel for Julia.:hug: Shitty day at the office today. I think a combination of things did her in (tricky lefty opponent, injury, zero light at the end), but she's too good a player to miss the olympics.

tkutsaar
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Well the OP correctly predicted the 3rd departure for Julia but of course was slightly off the mark as to the identity of the opponent who would do Julia in.

MechWarrior2k
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
So Goerges doesn't qualify? Wow.

lupojohn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
how :spit:

There was no light at the end. She couldn't see and i'm sure Rus wouldn't have minded either. I didn't see the match, but it seems as though Julia asked the chair umpire to stop and she just brushed her off. I think the ump felt pressure because the fans were roaring for Rus and she didn't want to have to deal with them in case Julia had come back tomorrow. I can't accuse the ump of knowing Julia might miss the Olympics with this loss, and Julia was far from her best, but what's fair is fair. The ump was out of line. Let them come back tomorrow. I''d like to know the name of the ump in this match.

debby
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
There was no light at the end. She couldn't see and i'm sure Rus wouldn't have minded either. I didn't see the match, but it seems as though Julia asked the chair umpire to stop and she just brushed her off. I think the ump felt pressure because the fans were roaring for Rus and she didn't want to have to deal with them in case Julia had come back tomorrow. I can't accuse the ump of knowing Julia might miss the Olympics with this loss, and Julia was far from her best, but what's fair is fair. The ump was out of line. Let them come back tomorrow. I''d like to know the name of the ump in this match.

1/ Conditions are the same for everyone

2/ It was not that dark when she FIRST complained.

3/ if it was only darkness the matter, then why did she lose time by arguing AFTER the umpire already said no? Why did she have a suspicious MTO?

mk27
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Julia finishes RG as 25th and will lack just 5 points to the Olympics. :hysteric:

You don't have to count Bartoli, then she's at #24 :shrug:

lupojohn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
1/ Conditions are the same for everyone

2/ It was not that dark when she FIRST complained.

3/ if it was only darkness the matter, then why did she lose time by arguing AFTER the umpire already said no? Why did she have a suspicious MTO?

What do you mean she lost time? And what's MTO? Anyhow, it's not a matter of how dark it was. It's a matter that it was dark enough to stop.

deboraski
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM

OMG lets hope so. :help: :unsure:

Traitor
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
This is LOLNESS,even if Serena was out,she still mentally choked.

$uricate
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I was just laughing at this thread earlier...

Assuming Julia would have a cakewalk with Serena out. I wish she had played Serena now :o

colt13
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM

It will be interesting to see what they do. Surprisingly, she is Germany's highest ranked doubles player, so she might get to do both.

juliagoergesfan
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
is it too late to get a wildcard into nottingham? :facepalm: :help:

lupojohn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM

Well then, shouldn't that qualify Julia, then?

TeamUla
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM

Well, I though she has to be top24 in WTA and Bartoli counts too. :shrug:

mk27
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM

Why should Bartoli count :shrug:
She won't be there and that's the point

Petkovic is also in danger, so I don't the the DOSB won't nominate Görges for the Olympic Games because of 5 points.
There were exceptions in 2008 (Schüttler) and 2004 (Mayer) too.

You really can't compare this to 2004 with Barna and Weingärtner who were far away even from the top 40.

lupojohn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM

Apparently, some sort of rule excludes Bartoli. Maybe because she made the semis at the French last year?

TeamUla
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
OK, thread title changed.

Traitor
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
So much drama over nothing.

Petkorazzi
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
:lol: Makes no sense why Bartoli shouldn't be included. But then again, this whole top 24 rule makes no sense at all. :help:

Patrick345
Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Why would you not include Bartoli? Then you might as well leave out Petkovic and Zvonareva, who could miss the Olympics due to injuries. They should leave Görges at home just for losing to Rus. :p

Viennalover
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Why would you not include Bartoli? Then you might as well leave out Petkovic and Zvonareva, who could miss the Olympics due to injuries. They should leave Görges at home just for losing to Rus. :p

This.
If Germany allows Gorges for OG, they should just dump the rule in the first place....

And Kuznetsova can pass her.
Good bye Gorges. :wavey:

MaDu, you should, at least, add "?" to the thread title. :rolleyes:
Julia needs exceptions for OG and so far she is OUT by German rule.
Anyway it's interesting to see what Germany tennis federation will do.
They already have 3players, do they need Julia. :confused:

Jorn
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
If they rule say Top 24, why does Marions matter?

mk27
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM

Kuznetsova is the #5 player from Russia. Even if she would pass Goerges, another Russian player won't be included, because only the top 4 players from a country will start there.

Patrick345
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
This.
If Germany allows Gorges for OG, they should just dump the rule in the first place....

Good bye Gorges. :wavey:

MaDu, you should add "?" to the thread title. :rolleyes:
Anyway it's interesting to see what Germany tennis federation will do.

She´ll go. She´ll qualify for Doubles and the Doubles player Görges will use the same flight, room, food and clothes as the singles player Görges. So no addtional costs in letting Görges also play singles. More interesting whether Barthel will go. I think a lot will depend on her Wimbledon performance.

Viennalover
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
She´ll go. She´ll qualify for Doubles and the Doubles player Görges will use the same flight, room, food and clothes as the singles player Görges. So no addtional costs in letting Görges also play singles. More interesting whether Barthel will go. I think a lot will depend on her Wimbledon performance.

She is already qualified for singles in ITF rules.
but Julia needs Germany tennis federation's admittion,
whether it's Singles or Doubles.
(They don't allow unless you are Top24 singles player, do they allow doubles player who are not even in Top30?)

And I think the issue is not about money but the competitiveness.
Germany already has 3 players, do they need additional Julia?
She'll never be a medal contender for singles nor doubles.
And if Julia's OK with there rule, I think Mona is better choice.

BTW I don't really care if Julia gets in or not. (Sorry if I bothered you)
Just curious with the rules they have, we'll see what happens.
GL Julia. :angel:

deboraski
Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
As far as I know,

BTW I don' really care if Julia gets in or not.
Just curious with the rules they have, we'll see what happens.
GL Julia. :angel:

I think Julia/Andrea could be a dark horse for bronze at least. When you look to past medalist of the last 2 Olympics you have players like Massú and Fish. So, Why not? Because this is quite a unique event on the calendar it well possible to have suprise winners. Plus, anybody that follows the german Fed Cup team knows that Andrea is a complete diferent player when representing Germany.