PDA

View Full Version : How many USA women will make R3?

pov
May 29th, 2012, 04:05 AM
What say ye?

Brad[le]y.
May 29th, 2012, 04:11 AM
if you look at the draw, you would see that having only one American moving onto R2 would be impossible :p

GO李娜
May 29th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Serena,McHale,Mattek Sands Glatch beating injured Flavia

Vwilliamsfan1
May 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
5 :)

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM
at least 5

Mattek-Sands is playing Stephens in next round, whihc is unfortunate

pov
May 29th, 2012, 04:33 AM
if you look at the draw, you would see that having only one American moving onto R2 would be impossible :p
:shrug: Just answer the poll. :lol:

In The Zone
May 29th, 2012, 04:40 AM
4 is the safest answer (Venus defeating Aga, Serena, McHale, Stephens) but I think we will see Lepchenko (defeating Jankovic) and Glatch (defeating Pennetta) advance as well.

I'll go with 6. 7 if you include Sharapova.

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2012, 04:42 AM
5, Jankovic is going down.

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2012, 04:44 AM
4 is the safest answer (Venus defeating Aga, Serena, McHale, Stephens) but I think we will see Lepchenko (defeating Jankovic) and Glatch (defeating Pennetta) advance as well.

:rolls:

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM

It si time to call Maria an American, whether her fan like it or not.
I mean, the girls curses and chears herself on in English; this is the essence of who she is as a tennis player.:)

She visits with Queen Mother Oracene, not Queen Mother Vera

tkutsaar
May 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Obviously Mattek-Sands v. Stephens and McHale v. Davis matches guarantee at least two Americans in the third round. Add Serena because she should be a cinch for the third round. Actually Serena’s 2nd opponent is likely to be Jamie Hampton who should complete the 12-0 US first round sweep, and thus there must be the presence of at least three Americans in the 3rd round.

After that should there be one more American then there would have to be an upset at least on paper. Probably the best opportunity would be Varvara Lepchenko against JJ. We all know that JJ has stank the tennis courts of the WTA something awful for quite some time now and if this were a first round match I would pick Varvara. But this is a 2nd round match so that JJ has cleared the hurdle of the 1st rd blues and clearly she is the better player.

There are a lot of posters herein who like Venus chances against Radwanska but I think that is just wishful thinking. For Venus to win it would take a major upset but that then major upsets do occasionally occur in sports generally and in women’s tennis particularly.

I’ve seen Vania King play and she does have lots of ability and should prove to be a tough opponent for Cibulkova, but the latter is the more experienced and definitely the better player.

The other three Americans have no chance whatsoever. I’ve never seen Alexa Glatch play but I understand she is ranked 190th and she has equaled her best slams result. Melanie Oudin’s first round win was an upset considering her career since her remarkable run in the ’09 US Open and thus will present no challenge to Errani. I’ve seen Falconi play once; the ’12 US Open against Sabine Lisicki. She was trounced 6-0, 6-1 and the match was even more lopsided than such score would suggest. As Stosur is a better player than Lisicki, I would not be surprised that Irina does not even get to a game point on any of her service never mind seeing a break point. A double bagel loss is a good bet.

In conclusion, optimistically I can see four Americans in rd 3 (one of Venus or King or Varvara winning) but realistically it will only be three.

Charlatan
May 29th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Maria Sharapova always in the center of attention in threads no matter what :worship:

Truly the TF star :inlove:

Vuvurenka
May 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Obviously Mattek-Sands v. Stephens and McHale v. Davis matches guarantee at least two Americans in the third round. Add Serena because she should be a cinch for the third round. Actually Serenaís 2nd opponent is likely to be Jamie Hampton who should complete the 12-0 US first round sweep, and thus there must be the presence of at least three Americans in the 3rd round.

After that should there be one more American then there would have to be an upset at least on paper. Probably the best opportunity would be Varvara Lepchenko against JJ. We all know that JJ has stank the tennis courts of the WTA something awful for quite some time now and if this were a first round match I would pick Varvara. But this is a 2nd round match so that JJ has cleared the hurdle of the 1st rd blues and clearly she is the better player.

There are a lot of posters herein who like Venus chances against Radwanska but I think that is just wishful thinking. For Venus to win it would take a major upset but that then major upsets do occasionally occur in sports generally and in womenís tennis particularly.

Iíve seen Vania King play and she does have lots of ability and should prove to be a tough opponent for Cibulkova, but the latter is the more experienced and definitely the better player.

The other three Americans have no chance whatsoever. Iíve never seen Alexa Glatch play but I understand she is ranked 190th and she has equaled her best slams result. Melanie Oudinís first round win was an upset considering her career since her remarkable run in the í09 US Open and thus will present no challenge to Errani. Iíve seen Falconi play once; the í12 US Open against Sabine Lisicki. She was trounced 6-0, 6-1 and the match was even more lopsided than such score would suggest. As Stosur is a better player than Lisicki, I would not be surprised that Irina does not even get to a game point on any of her service never mind seeing a break point. A double bagel loss is a good bet.

In conclusion, optimistically I can see four Americans in rd 3 (one of Venus or King or Varvara winning) but realistically it will only be three.

I agree with you on the bolded part, it's amazing how Veenuts have stronger belief than Oudin when a Radwanska win is actually the more realistic outcome, not to say believing is wrong but it borders on delusion if you ask me

I can see Stephens, ReeRee, McHale and Lepchenko(just because she's facing Jankovic of all people) making R3. So my answer is 4

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I agree with you on the bolded part, it's amazing how Veenuts have stronger belief than Oudin when a Radwanska win is actually the more realistic outcome, not to say believing is wrong but it borders on delusion if you ask me
Well, if she beat Stosur, she can certainly beat Aga.
I know the word "delusion" is fast becoming a catch-all word on this TF, but this is Venus, physicially diminished or not, she still can manage to win matches.

dragonflies
May 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM

I can see Stephens, ReeRee, McHale and Lepchenko(just because she's facing Jankovic of all people) making R3. So my answer is 4

:lol:

Hilarious post.

Venus already beat 2 top 5 players just after a few tournaments back, so beating Aga is quite possible, although Venus is still considered an underdog in this match up, due to her health problem and aging. Aga is only slightly favoured in this encounter, thanks to being playing her best tennis at the moment. It's funny how some TF "experts" like to look down to a champion, talking foolishly like things are written in stones, despite the outcomes of those matches are unpredictable, especially in these cases. It's Aga playing Venus, not Yakimova or Oudin. No offense to the laters.

Seeing how your deep understanding of the word " delusion", unlikely anyone will ask for your inputs, so don't worry about that .:lol: ( unless you are just willing to dump those of yours here anyway).

the jamierbelyea
May 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Obviously Mattek-Sands v. Stephens and McHale v. Davis matches guarantee at least two Americans in the third round. Add Serena because she should be a cinch for the third round. Actually Serenaís 2nd opponent is likely to be Jamie Hampton who should complete the 12-0 US first round sweep, and thus there must be the presence of at least three Americans in the 3rd round.

There are a lot of posters herein who like Venus chances against Radwanska but I think that is just wishful thinking. For Venus to win it would take a major upset but that then major upsets do occasionally occur in sports generally and in womenís tennis particularly.

Iíve seen Vania King play and she does have lots of ability and should prove to be a tough opponent for Cibulkova, but the latter is the more experienced and definitely the better player.

The other three Americans have no chance whatsoever. Iíve never seen Alexa Glatch play but I understand she is ranked 190th and she has equaled her best slams result. Melanie Oudinís first round win was an upset considering her career since her remarkable run in the í09 US Open and thus will present no challenge to Errani. Iíve seen Falconi play once; the í12 US Open against Sabine Lisicki. She was trounced 6-0, 6-1 and the match was even more lopsided than such score would suggest. As Stosur is a better player than Lisicki, I would not be surprised that Irina does not even get to a game point on any of her service never mind seeing a break point. A double bagel loss is a good bet.

When Glatch made the 2nd Round of Roland Garros in 2009, she beat Flavia Pennetta in the opening round. 6-1, 6-1. Based on your logic that Falconi won only 1 game against Lisicki, but Stosur is better than Lisicki, so Falconi should get double bageled aginst Stosur, you should probably reconsider your pick on Alexa. [Well, Flavia also beat Alexa 3 & 1 in Fed Cup in 2009 ;))

With that said Alexa is on a long road back, but Flavia is far from 100%, with that good mojo Alexa has in her head I still think she has an outside chance.

tkutsaar
May 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
When Glatch made the 2nd Round of Roland Garros in 2009, she beat Flavia Pennetta in the opening round. 6-1, 6-1. Based on your logic that Falconi won only 1 game against Lisicki, but Stosur is better than Lisicki, so Falconi should get double bageled aginst Stosur, you should probably reconsider your pick on Alexa. [Well, Flavia also beat Alexa 3 & 1 in Fed Cup in 2009 ;))

With that said Alexa is on a long road back, but Flavia is far from 100%, with that good mojo Alexa has in her head I still think she has an outside chance.

Thank you for your info on Glatch, as I said Iíve never seen her play. With your input I am revising my opinion from Glatch having no chance to that it would be merely a monumental upset should she win. As for Falconi I am sticking with my prediction of a double bagel loss. I notice from her FO bio that her total career consists of 9 victories vs 20 losses with this year being 1-5. As I said I saw her play Lisicki in last yearís US Open and it was not a pretty sight. I recall in one of Falconiís service game in the first set she was up 40-0, but the commentators were not jumping to the conclusion that she was going to hold. Instead they remarked that Falconi now was in a position to actually hold. And of course she was broken. Usually I hear commentators opine when the server is up 40-0 something to the effect that the server is enjoying an easy service game.

When Irina finally did win a game in the second set to make the score probably 4-1 in that set (I canít remember exactly) the crowd burst into a lusty spontaneous cheer as they appreciated her pluck, despite being so totally outplayed.

QuestJon
May 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Exactly this.
Sometimes kind of surprising to read posts based
on clear logical thinking.
But all this is only on probabilities.
And as we know talking about humans might well
result in outcomes other than what had to be highly expected.

Kəv.
May 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
4, Mattek-Sands or Stephens, McHale or Davis, Lepchenko & Serena

mpmg
May 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM
btw there is no way 10 can make third round. 3 are sure to lose as they would face another American. So the most you can have is 9.

GoofyDuck
May 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Lepchenko has clumsy technique and I think definitely on clay JJ can beat her if she plays decent.

I think 5 Americans advance

vozas
May 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Maria finding her way into another thread :worship: she really has a firm grasp on everything WTA related and their respective wigs

duhcity
May 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
2. McHale and Mattek-Sands.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I say 5-6 :bounce:

Sammo
May 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
How many useless women will make R3?

A LOT.

Tenis Srbija
May 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
5, Jankovic is going down.

http://x.vukajlija.com/var/uploads/reactions/201205/5282/wgtrv.gif?1338243789

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
http://x.vukajlija.com/var/uploads/reactions/201205/5282/wgtrv.gif?1338243789

Nice John Goodman GIF :lol:

pov
May 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Okay this was - as others pointed out - a very lazily done poll. There have to be at least 2 in R3 and - unless one thinks S. Williams is going to inconceivably implode - she makes 3. Lepchenko can get by Jankovic and unless Jankovic has a sudden upturn in form probably will. IMO that's it. I'll root for V. Wllliams but . . .

tkutsaar
May 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I guess I have to revise my prediction. There will be only two American players in the 3rd round.

King Halep
May 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
:happy:

Cp6uja
May 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
What a us-eless thread.

Roland Garros 2012 for USA is over already in R1.

duhcity
May 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
2. McHale and Mattek-Sands.

:oh:

pov
May 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
- unless one thinks S. Williams is going to inconceivably implode -
:eek:

Tennis Fool
May 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM
So far, 1 for 7.

Three play tomorrow, but only 2 more possible.

TheKid!
May 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Lepchenko has a good shot against this Jankovic.
McHale should do it, too.

Jorn
May 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Serena, Venus, McHale etc.? oh no... ;)

JJ will find her game so Sloane and maybe McHale in R3...