PDA

View Full Version : Coulda, woulda, shoulda: Maria's H2Hs

vozas
May 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Which of Maria's H2H against this generation's GOATs you wanna see her fix, which ones do you think are lopsided and don't really represent their rivalry?

Here are some of the most known ones, with slam H2H as well in brackets:

Lindsay Davenport: 5-1 (2-0)
Venus Williams: 4-3 (0-2)
Serena Williams: 2-8 (1-3) :sobbing:
Justine Henin: 3-7 (2-3) (she beat Maria twice at RG; this H2H really doesn't reflect how epic this match-up was)
Kim Clijsters: 3-5 (1-1) (that fucking Cincinatti final :sobbing:)
Jelena Jankovic: 6-1 (1-0)
Ana Ivanovic: 5-2 (1-1) (future bitch in the making :drool:)
Amélie Mauresmo: 1-3 (1-1)
Victoria Azarenka: 4-5 (0-1)
Caroline Wozniacki: 4-2 (0-1 :fiery:)
Petra Kvitova: 3-2 (1-1) (one retirement, so 3-1 really)

Justine is the top player against whom Maria played more matches at slams (5)

vozas
May 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I also want Maria to have the same number of slams as Kim, at the very least. Hopefully she'll end up matching Legend's 5 :worship: I want a FO and another AO and I'd be more than happy :drool:

madmax
May 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
it's interesting that she had so much trouble with Bagelie early in her career...usually she does pretty well against players who slice a lot.

vozas
May 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
it's interesting that she had so much trouble with Bagelie early in her career...usually she does pretty well against players who slice a lot.

Well Teenpova met Peak Bagelie in two of those YECs (which Bagelie loved) and in the Wimbledon semis where Bagelie was S&V'ing old school style and looked like a grass GOAT. The H2H would've eventually skewed towards Maria if it weren't for Bagelie's downward spiral from 2007 onwards. Can't believe their last match was the 2006 USO SF (double bagel :drool:)

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Really bummed she can't fix her H2H vs Mauresmo. I've always wanted her to do that for YEARS but they never met after 2006. :help: Also her H2H with Kim is really fixable (Cincinnati :sobbing: ).. and she's about to retire soon so not much time. Most of the people she has a losing H2H to, she doesn't play against very often. Serena's is pretty much unfixable so let's not talk about it. :lol:

Slampova
May 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
She needs to sort that H2H against Kim before she retires. It should be 4-4 :hsteric: Hopefully Maria can beat Kim in a US warm up and the US Open and it can end up at 5-5 when Kim retires.

Her H2H against Justine should also be a lot closer. That AO 06 loss should have been a win and the RG 10 choke could have put these two at 5-5 also.

She also needs a few slam wins over Venus :eek: I feel Maria should have a much more significant edge in this rivalry. Damn that Stanford match :sobbing: And 0-2 in slam matches :sobbing: Needs to fix that!

She'll sort the H2H against Azarenka in her own time ;)

dsanders06
May 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
She'd BETTER have a positive head2head against Azarenka by the time she retires :o Noway does Aza deserve to be on that elite list.

I love when she plays Wozniacki these days :lol: She seems to really relish the challenge of playing her now. The last two times she played her, she brought some of her best post-surgery tennis (even though she was headcasey as fuck in their Miami match). I genuinely don't think she's losing to her ever again, or maybe just once if she's in Peak ErrorPova mode.

I REALLY want to see her play Kim again before she goes, not because I necesarily think Maria would win (I think it would be 50-50 at the US Open, Maria would have an edge everywhere else), but because her matches against the Belgians are literally ALWAYS good quality.

madmax
May 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
her two consecutive chokes to Safina at Rolland Garros came when she was still trying to bash her way through the draws and had no clue how to adapt her game...I doubt she would lose a similar match now, hell, I don't think such hypothetical match would be even close...

dsanders06
May 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
She once choked a huge lead to Safina in a match in Moscow aswell :rolls: That match-up was one of the most incomprehensible ever.

madmax
May 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
She once choked a huge lead to Safina in a match in Moscow aswell :rolls: That match-up was one of the most incomprehensible ever.

:lol:
who would have thought, that out off all russian headcases Maria would be the one choking to the biggest headcase of them all...WTA:tape:

heelsrule1988
May 24th, 2012, 07:39 PM
but because her matches against the Belgians are literally ALWAYS good quality.
2008 Australian Open... ;)

Charlatan
May 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM

no, it was safina who almost choked the 5-1 lead in the first set of the match...but she finally won the match 7-5 in the end

dsanders06
May 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM
no, it was safina who almost choked the 5-1 lead in the first set of the match...but she finally won the match 7-5 in the end

Yeah, but I'm sure Maria was leading 6-1 3-0 or something like that at some point... or am I misremembering :scratch:

cowsonice
May 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Lindsay Davenport's H2H with Maria....that 1 win comes with a huge asterik of a double bagel :hysteric:

SharaGaGa
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Can't get over Maria's semifinal "curse" back then. She could've been at least a 6-time slam winner now! Many epic 3-set chokes, where she won in the first set. I don't even want to remember anymore :(

tennis-insomniac
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM
3 words: Kimiko Date-Krumm.

JoPova
Jun 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Her H2H with Clijsters! :facepalm:

ziros
Jun 7th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah,the one with Clijsters is pretty gutting. It's understandable with Henin and Williams - 2 of the most talented female players ever but Clijsters? Always thought she was overrated,Maria should of got on top in that h2h. And the fact she came from 3-1 down to now lead Maria 4-3 in grand slams titles:help:

Stonerpova
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:12 AM
I want to see her reverse the Clijsters h2h. Time's running out though :awww:

Craig.
Jun 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Ugh ffs. She should be LEADING that Clijsters head-to-head. Pisses me off :o