PDA

View Full Version : What's *your* take on why Kvitova isn't playing up to her potential?

pov
May 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
As most here know I get bashed when I offer my opinions on why that is. But there must be reasons. She has IMO more natural talent than all except a handful of players and yet so far this year her play - outside of Fed Cup - has bee mediocre. What is holding her back?

PetraReeMona
May 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
She's fat!

flyingmachine
May 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM
It's all about the head.
:o

Synth
May 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM
She's young.

TennisAddict84
May 16th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Still needs time to grow into her game completely since there are so many dimensions.

vendulkabendulka
May 16th, 2012, 03:00 AM
She has lost her mojo.

PetraReeMona
May 16th, 2012, 04:06 AM
It all happened too quickly.

Queen Petra Fan
May 16th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Letīs face it, health issues and poor conditioning have sabotaged her season so far. They are probably the main culprits. But still, with just a few more breaks and better decisions on court, she could have achieved some great successes already.

First of all, whether she likes it or not she needs to change her game and cut down on the UEs. They are why she loses to people she has no business losing to. They cause her to give away points like candy. It has to STOP! And also, she needs to quit making boneheaded mistakes such as the one that cost her a set in her most recent match against Masha. She did the same damn thing at the AO. She's too good for this kind of nonsense. This also has to STOP!

Secondly, she needs to emulate Serena and Masha and get mentally tougher. She keeps folding under pressure as if she questions herself and her ability. Frankly, I'm beginning to question how strong her drive to be the best is. Is she satisfied already? Does she lack confidence? Who knows? If we're lucky, it's just the growing pains of a young champion and the best is yet to come once she gets her head screwed on straight.

:angel: Holding my thumbs and crossing my fingers my last sentence is the REAL reason. :angel:

BTW Pov: Please continue to speak your mind here. Just try not to use the 'C' word too much. It makes some people here crazy! :tape:

pov
May 18th, 2012, 11:06 PM
BTW Pov: Please continue to speak your mind here.
Much thanks for that thumbs-up. And yeah, I think your analysis covered what I think of as being the main points. It's funny, with almost any athlete it's tough to know what's really going on with them inwardly. So we surmise.

18majors
May 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Petra's physical problems this year reminds me of Maria in 2007 - 2008 period when her shoulder started to bother her. Maria was only 20 years old then, younger than Petra today.

Hopefully, Petra deals with her issues better than Maria so that she doesn't go through the next 4-5 years without winning a grand slam title like Maria.

TennisAddict84
May 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM
As evident in her match today against Kerber, I think Petra's reoccurring health problems is the number one thing that has held her back this year. If she was completely healthy, she would've won a few titles already.

TimeyWimey
May 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM
As evident in her match today against Kerber, I think Petra's reoccurring health problems is the number one thing that has held her back this year. If she was completely healthy, she would've won a few titles already.

the problem is why on earth her team always fail to keep her healthy this year? :(

Excelscior
May 19th, 2012, 12:24 AM
the problem is why on earth her team always fail to keep her healthy this year? :(

Yeah, I think there can be some tighter restrictions on Petra's time and preparation. Absolutely.

Petra should of never been allowed to play all out against Lucie H. in that oft quoted Czech Club league match-suffering a mild Achilles tear in the process, when she still had 7 more days of Preseason training to get through). That was dumb and started off the whole process/chain reaction.

I know it may seem like Monday Night Quarterbacking some of you. But commonsense would of told them, Petra shouldn't of been home in the cold ass/blizzard-like Czech Republic if she was going to play in the hot ass desert in Doha the next week. They couldn't of sent her on vacation in a warm weather environment or just had her hang out close by in Dubai with her family or something?

That virus carried over to Indian Wells (while she looked great in her first set against McHale), and probably made her susceptible for that stomach virus as well; then she had asthma in Miami.

The asthma in Miami she couldn't of helped/stopped. Agreed. But the condition she had since January through Indian Wells, could of been avoided, with better preparation of Petra's pre-season playing and time. Yes! You do have a point!

King Halep
May 19th, 2012, 01:14 AM
she lost a huge amount of weight but could still lose some more

TennisAddict84
May 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I think there can be some tighter restrictions on Petra's time and preparation. Absolutely.

Petra should of never been allowed to play all out against Lucie H. in that oft quoted Czech Club league match-suffering a mild Achilles tear in the process, when she still had 7 more days of Preseason training to get through). That was dumb and started off the whole process/chain reaction.

I know it may seem like Monday Night Quarterbacking some of you. But commonsense would of told them, Petra shouldn't of been home in the cold ass/blizzard-like Czech Republic if she was going to play in the hot ass desert in Doha the next week. They couldn't of sent her on vacation in a warm weather environment or just had her hang out close by in Dubai with her family or something?

That virus carried over to Indian Wells (while she looked great in her first set against McHale), and probably made her susceptible for that stomach virus as well; then she had asthma in Miami.

The asthma in Miami she couldn't of helped/stopped. Agreed. But the condition she had since January through Indian Wells, could of been avoided, with better preparation of Petra's pre-season playing and time. Yes! You do have a point!

Her team def needs to schedule better next season and for the right events. I also felt that she should've played Brisbane this year instead of Hopman Cup so that she could get used to the outside playing conditions better in Australia. Since Hopman Cup was played indoors, I feel like it didn't really contribute to her preparation. She wasn't hitting the ball well all tournament long in Sydney, which carried over to AO (granted she still got to the semis).

Martina CZ
May 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
she lost a huge amount of weight but could still lose some more
Well, Petra is unlucky that all of her fat shows in the abdomenal area. It's not nice to look at, but well...
Watching match with Kerber yesterday, Angie has mor total fat for sure, only evenly spreaded around her body, so it doesn't stands out that much (having the same morphology as Angie I know about this a bit) ;)

Corswandt
May 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
As most here know I get bashed when I offer my opinions on why that is. But there must be reasons. She has IMO more natural talent than all except a handful of players and yet so far this year her play - outside of Fed Cup - has bee mediocre. What is holding her back?

She's fat!

And wears too much makeup.

pov
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Bump. With good reason IMO

Rex59
Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sloppy, error-laden tennis. Save for a match here and there, the quality of her tennis is mediocre-to poor, butchering sitters and returning badly off the court by yards. How many times yesterday did she have returns that sat-up inside the service line to be returned wide beyond the wells, or land half-way to the backline judges? The quality and efficiency of her game has deteriorated. Her stomach has nothing to do with this poor form.

TennisAddict84
Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Sloppy, error-laden tennis. Save for a match here and there, the quality of her tennis is mediocre-to poor, butchering sitters and returning badly off the court by yards. How many times yesterday did she have returns that sat-up inside the service line to be returned wide beyond the wells, or land half-way to the backline judges? The quality and efficiency of her game has deteriorated. Her stomach has nothing to do with this poor form.

Yeah, I agree. It didn't look like a fitness issue to me, especially since she was playing so well in the match against Flavia. Her movement/footwork actually looked better to me than at Wimby. At this point, it's def mental. It just seems like she's lacking the proper reaction time and anticipation for several of the shots her opponent is giving her. She's just not sufficiently prepared and appears lackadaisical w/ those easy sitters and balls that were landing at her feet. Obviously, her ROS was terrible in that QF against Kirilenko as well and she continues to struggle w/ finding her balance and adequately getting her opponent's drop shots over, but there is NO reason why she should've missed those easy sitters 3, 4 times in a row. Petra's always so game and goes above and beyond in Fed cup matches. Even when she's playing poorly, she finds a way to win the match.

To represent her country and play on what is supposed to be her best/favorite surface against an opponent who she's had no trouble w/ the last two times is just mind boggling. Maybe Petra felt the pressure of being one of the favorites to medal for the Olympics. Who knows. She really needs to sort it all out though and try to salvage her season during the USO series, even though it's gonna be a real challenge considering her results last year. Petra also needs to be more clutch on the big points/pressure points in a match. In that 1st set TB against Kirilenko, Petra still could've turned it around and won it if she focused and took her time. Time & time again, it just seems like when the chips are down or the conditions aren't ideal, Petra just cannot produce. We've seen it in her matches this year against Sharapova, against Serena at Wimby in that 2nd set. Yes, Petra has been frequently injured this year, and yes, her game is in transition, and yes, she suffers from asthma. But she just gotta step it up mentally if she wants to win those big titles. So again it's about her motivation, we'll see as time progresses whether Petra wants it bad enough or whether she's complacent being a 1, possibly 2 slam winner. Hopefully, it's the former for all the potential/talent/skills that Petra possesses. Obviously, it's up to her to determine if she wants to end with a Kuznetsova like career or be a dominant force in women's tennis.

steni
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:33 AM
She isn't interested and is going to retire soon...

Excelscior
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:04 AM
I had to have a hearty laugh/chuckle after reading Rex 59's well reasoned rant, to TennisAddict84's well reasoned analysis/Petra Proposition/questions, to Steni's brief, cynical answer!! :lol: :) :lol:

pov
Aug 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Dang. I didn't know the term "pressed" until recently but it definitely is appropriate here. WTF is with people mentioning the "stomach thing" at every turn? The thread tile is an open question not some nefarious sub-text. Get over it people!

pov
Aug 4th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Through Wimbledon my thought was her "hunger" - she didn't want it enough. But before the Olympics she's always been on fire when she's representing the Czech Republic so, as of now, I have no ideas on what's up with her. We can all see that she's playing well below her level but as for why . . :shrug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
She tries too much and has not much confidence.

mikireturns
Aug 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I think Petra has chiefly been experiencing the "growing pains" associated with becoming a champion at the Grand Slam level and dealing with the aftermath of that accomplishment (physically, emotionally, etc.). We have seen this in a number of players who struck fast and hard to achieve major success on the tour. Even Sharapova did not immediately follow-up her amazing first Wimby championship run with a slew of successive Grand Slam titles.

There is no question that Petra's concentration-level is a bit scattered right now. Her fitness has improved and she is still gritting-out matches, and the hunger is there, but it seems a little bit of uncertainty has crept into her game, and with her playing style, that alone is troublesome.
This can easily be attributed to the enormous way her life has changed since winning Wimbledon, with the fame, the new expectations, the money ... All of it. These things are radical developments and test a player's concentration and hunger.

However, if any player has the tools to experience this "period of adjustment" and swiftly regain her footing, it's Petra. I believe the desire is still very, very deeply entrenched in Petra's mindset and her massive game is so full of weapons that she won't be denied for long. There is simply too much game and too much talent there. Once she gets her focus squared away again, and gets a taste of blood with a title at one of these summer hard court events, look for her to get "that look in her eye" once more.

I expect some daunting tennis from Petra in the coming weeks. She'll put the fear into the entire field again very soon ;->

edificio
Aug 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM
No confidence in her shots or her movement. Sad, really.

But winning a slam and then getting the next in several years is not uncommon.

cosmoose
Aug 9th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Sometimes, a coach can take a player to the top. But that same coach doesn't necessarily help a player stay at the top.
Things have gotten too cozy with David Kotyza. Problems with Petra is well known. What is also painfully obvious is that Koyza doesn't have solutions to her problems.

what Petra needs is a coach that is not her friend but her boss. We need someone to challenge Petra. We need someone that will hold her accountable for her mental walkabouts. We need a coach that won't tolerate Petra's fuckeries any longer.

Fire Kotyza now.

steni
Aug 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Sometimes, a coach can take a player to the top. But that same coach doesn't necessarily help a player stay at the top.
Things have gotten too cozy with David Kotyza. Problems with Petra is well known. What is also painfully obvious is that Koyza doesn't have solutions to her problems.

what Petra needs is a coach that is not her friend but her boss. We need someone to challenge Petra. We need someone that will hold her accountable for her mental walkabouts. We need a coach that won't tolerate Petra's fuckeries any longer.

Fire Kotyza now.

:yeah:

King Halep
Aug 9th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I think Petra has chiefly been experiencing the "growing pains" associated with becoming a champion at the Grand Slam level and dealing with the aftermath of that accomplishment

However, if any player has the tools to experience this "period of adjustment" and swiftly regain her footing, it's Petra.

:haha: she has not defeated one single difficult opponent this season

steni
Aug 9th, 2012, 02:11 AM
:haha: she has not defeated one single difficult opponent this season

She beat Wozniacki and Bartoli but I guess they are not difficult opponents for you, right?

AfroIYH
Aug 9th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Shes beat Errani, Lisicki, Schiavone this season, Schiavone might of had her day but Errani and Lisicki are on the rise, also beat Kerber.

King Halep
Aug 9th, 2012, 10:28 AM
She beat Wozniacki and Bartoli but I guess they are not difficult opponents for you, right?

:facepalm:

David is that you?

Vikapower
Aug 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Fire Kotyza now.

What, lol no (!?) -- If Petra panicked like you that's where the downwards cycle will amplify.

Lastly, Petra is not the type of person who wants somebody in her ears constantly, see, she understands things extremely well and only needs one information for her to get the whole substance --

There's nothing to hold her accountable of, she's a top player and has understood many things already hence why she is a top player --

This post-peak slump is something kind of usual, people panic way too much because she isn't able to win 99 tournaments after her 2011 season. She's just 22 and this is just one of the many mini-slumps she'll have like any top player during the course of her career.

Changing coach isn't going to change any of that.

Petra's game is what it is and it's indeed true that as brutally good her game can be, it can be brutally bad too in inverse and it's particularly visible with her than it would with Kerber, Agatha or other players --

She just has to learn to get through these periods by limiting the damages and move on because I don't think any of that is going to change in the near future, new or not new coach.

Sharapova toned her game considerably but it took years, helped by her shoulder injury and desire to do well on clay. I don't think she was ever a shot-maker but she's much more of a mix of an aggressive base-liner/offensive-minded counter-puncher and this aggressive counter-punching background (even as weak as it is) allows her to be extremely consistent in terms of result and especially for her when she's not playing her best game.

I think, this is the most obvious direction Petra has to take with her game but that ain't going to happen like that -- a probably good 3 to 4 years to pick up a more consistent game-style would be necessary IMO. For now she just gotta buckle up and take things like they come.

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
:facepalm:

David is that you?No,Melange,it's definitely not "David":lol: as 'Steni' is a chica latina.Your comments don't bother me but,out of curiosity,are you really here for an honest discussion on Petra or are you trolling,GM-style??I'm asking because I thought it was stupid for the OP to title the thread with 'Kvitova' instead of 'Petra'.IMO,it sounds more impersonal...as if the OP weren't a fan(even though I think she is)...and just tends to invite more trolling.......Not exactly what one looks for in a fan forum;I don't think most would want that in Elena's forum,right?

pov
Aug 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'm asking because I thought it was stupid for the OP to title the thread with 'Kvitova' instead of 'Petra'.IMO,it sounds more impersonal...as if the OP weren't a fan(even though I think she is)...
Oh my. Another example of "pressed" and of letting your opinion hold sway even when it has no merit. If you check all my posts on TF you'll notice that I don't refer to any player by their first name. Period. Yeah it's common in sports fandom for people to act as if they have a personal relationship with their faves but nah . . .

BTW Your take is at least amusing since the name of this sub-forum is based on her last name. Oh and you might want to avoid the photos and videos threads. ;)

King Halep
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
It would be better to change the name of this sub-forum to something not ridiculous :wavey:

Petronius
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Oh my. Another example of "pressed" and of letting your opinion hold sway even when it has no merit. If you check all my posts on TF you'll notice that I don't refer to any player by their first name. Period. Yeah it's common in sports fandom for people to act as if they have a personal relationship with their faves but nah . . .

BTW Your take is at least amusing since the name of this sub-forum is based on her last name. Oh and you might want to avoid the photos and videos threads. ;)

I actually thought that the US culture is heavily based on using first names, as opposed to Europe, which still frequently uses surnames and academic degrees such as doctor, professor, engineer, etc. or even noble titles.

You're definitely an exception in this subforum (no biggie of course), but congrats on your consistency in maintaining this approach across the entire TF.

King Halep
Aug 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
No,Melange,it's definitely not "David":lol: as 'Steni' is a chica latina.Your comments don't bother me but,out of curiosity,are you really here for an honest discussion on Petra or are you trolling,GM-style??I'm asking because I thought it was stupid for the OP to title the thread with 'Kvitova' instead of 'Petra'.IMO,it sounds more impersonal...as if the OP weren't a fan(even though I think she is)...and just tends to invite more trolling.......Not exactly what one looks for in a fan forum;I don't think most would want that in Elena's forum,right?

Would you disagree that she has not defeated one single difficult opponent this season. She has no top 5 wins. I made that statement and I get the answer that she has defeated Wozniacki and Cake, and I believe the Wozniacki victory came in an indoor exhibition match. Her highest ranking wins for the whole season so far came against Wozniacki and Cake. That sounds like grasping at straws. Im no.3 in posts in the livescoring. So who is the troll here

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Would you disagree that she has not defeated one single difficult opponent this season. She has no top 5 wins. I made that statement and I get the answer that she has defeated Wozniacki and Cake, and I believe the Wozniacki victory came in an indoor exhibition match. Her highest ranking wins for the whole season so far came against Wozniacki and Cake. That sounds like grasping at straws. Im no.3 in posts in the livescoring. So who is the troll hereMy mistake:hatoff:.Obviously,you can figure out that I could've been a LOT nastier if I'd really been trying to agitate you,but that wasn't my intent.As YOU can see,I don't hang out in Live Scores so I didn't know you spent so much time there or that you were a fan.No offense was intended,Melange

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM

BTW Your take is at least amusing since the name of this sub-forum is based on her last name. Oh and you might want to avoid the photos and videos threads. ;)Ahhh,no...you're not an important enough person in my life for me to be 'pressed':lol:.Was simply commenting as YOU do based on my opinions

If you say that you never refer to player's by their first names,there's nothing wrong with that...it's just a little unusual,especially for a fan.As for the forum name,I've declared it stupid-sounding on more than one occasion so it would only be amusing or hypocritical if I criticized your title while defending the other,right:silly:;)?Thanks for the advice on thread roving,but I've already limited the threads I visit for quite a while.

You don't lack scholastic intelligence...maybe just some common sense...so I'll explain to you again that the thread you started is actually a good discussion theme,but it's more apt for GM because we FREQUENTLY discuss Petra's performance,as is,whenever we feel that she's underachieving,so why create a separate thread for something that has already been mentioned so much??Have you attracted any 'brilliant insights':p that haven't been brought up in the regular tennis threads(that was a rhetorical question:lol:)?It makes the sub-forum a cluttered monkey circus when you create unnecessary threads for points that are routinely dealt with.How would it look if I followed your lead and created threads such as 'Is Petra's bf too young for her to have a stable relationship?'...or,'Do Petra's parents give her enough emotional support when she's depressed after a loss?'...or,'Are Petra's outfits so tight to the point where they inhibit her movement?'

None of those questions are necessarily off-limits,but it's kind of dumb to create a whole new thread when I can simply posit those questions to other fans in the normal flow of chatting.Of course,in GM such eye-catching thread titles are a clever way to attract posters,so it makes a lot more sense to create such threads THERE

cogent53
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:21 PM
One of the big differences I've noticed this year is that her serve seems to have lost some potency. That wide serve out right used to be almost unplayable, but it seems like players are able to read it more, and the speed is definitely down. Look at someone like Serena, whose serve is the greatest ever. No one can get near it on grass and she has fabulous yet simple technique allied with that awesome power. It means players are under constant pressure to hold as breaking her serve is almost impossible.
Petra's serve was almost unplayable at times last year and that drop in a crucial weapon has made a difference IMO.

Synth
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM
One of the big differences I've noticed this year is that her serve seems to have lost some potency. That wide serve out right used to be almost unplayable, but it seems like players are able to read it more, and the speed is definitely down. Look at someone like Serena, whose serve is the greatest ever. No one can get near it on grass and she has fabulous yet simple technique allied with that awesome power. It means players are under constant pressure to hold as breaking her serve is almost impossible.
Petra's serve was almost unplayable at times last year and that drop in a crucial weapon has made a difference IMO.

I agree with this. I felt like her serve was much stronger last year and she held her service games fairly easily, either with service winners or with her 1-2 punch. As a result she could swing a lot more freely in the return games.

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I think we should not overate a player right now. I think she has made her potential the question is does she believe that she will win more majors or beat the likes of Serena, Venus and Vika and Maria (three outta the four she has beaten already. I think she is still young(which is a bogus excuse). Maybe we need to give her time, she just won a slam around almost the same age as Ana, we should see what happens. :)

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I think we can put this thread to rest, at least until/after the US Open. :oh: