PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2012 wildcards

eagles07
May 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
My Main Draw predictions:

1)Heather Watson - obvious reasons, if she doesnt make maindraw on her own ranking
2)Laura Robson- obvious reasons, loves the grass and with a good draw could win a few rounds
3)Naomi Broady- top 200, good game on grass
4)Melanie South- Hasnt been in the best of form but if she has a good next few tournaments in Asia then she might be considered if she makes top 250.

Other than Mel i dont see any of the other brits making top 250 by the date. Will they lower the 250 mark? Or will they have a playoff for maindraw instead of just qualies this year?

5) Ashleigh Barty- junior champ and the AELTC seem to love young players
6) Donna Vekic- Again a young player doing really well and she also trains in London
7) Someone who does well in the lead up grass tournaments?
8) Someone who does welll in the lead up grass tournaments?

GeeTee
May 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
They might find a place for Johanna Konta..

chingching
May 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
My Main Draw predictions:

1)Heather Watson - obvious reasons, if she doesnt make maindraw on her own ranking
2)Laura Robson- obvious reasons, loves the grass and with a good draw could win a few rounds
3)Naomi Broady- top 200, good game on grass
4)Melanie South- Hasnt been in the best of form but if she has a good next few tournaments in Asia then she might be considered if she makes top 250.

Other than Mel i dont see any of the other brits making top 250 by the date. Will they lower the 250 mark? Or will they have a playoff for maindraw instead of just qualies this year?

5) Ashleigh Barty- junior champ and the AELTC seem to love young players
6) Donna Vekic- Again a young player doing really well and she also trains in London
7) Someone who does well in the lead up grass tournaments?
8) Someone who does welll in the lead up grass tournaments?

Ash and Donna might get qualie ones, but not MD ones. Katie O'brien and Tara moore will get them and probably Johanna Konta because she is becoming Brit for 3 years now.

flareon
May 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Katie O'brien is retired, I think Emily Webley Smith might be given one again.

StephenUK
May 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
It's hard to see at this stage:

1 Heather Watson will get one if she is not high ranked enough to get in directly.
2 Laura Robson
3 Naomi Broady

These three are absolute certainties for wild cards, partly because the committee will be scratching their heads about the other five:

No other Brit girl is likely to be top 250 so I can't see any others getting MDWC. Melanie South could do it but she really needs an unlikely purple patch over the next few weeks.

Other candidates

Johanna Konta - still waiting for her British passport, but at least she will be top 250 so the next best thing, especially as there are few other choices. But she didn't even get a QWC last year so she may be out in the cold until that nationality finally changes, which would be sad as she gets the benefit of neither British nor Australian citizenship at this point.
Ashleigh Barty - may get a QWC instead of a MDWC but would definitely get one of the two as junior champion. But is it fair for her to get a MDWC and not a Britgirl if she is not top 250?
Alisa Kleybanova - presumably she will use her protected ranking to get main draw entry, but I could see her getting a WC if she doesn't, would make a good story
Player who does well in the grass season, esp Birmingham - like Sabine Lisicki last year
Player who does well at Roland Garros (qf or last 16) but too low-ranked at cut-off to get main draw Wimbledon entry eg Carla Suarez Navarro, Barbara Schwartz
World no 1 junior (they gave one to Disaster Nastya one year)
Someone totally random who gets one by mistake eg Victoria Kutuzova

Is there a QWC play-off for Britgirls like Tara Moore and Lucy Brown who won't be high-ranked enough to get a MDWC?

nevetssllim
May 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Alisa Kleybanova - presumably she will use her protected ranking to get main draw entry, but I could see her getting a WC if she doesn't, would make a good story

Alisa doesn't have a SR. I hope she receives a Q-WC at least (which might be her better option given her current form).

joeh37
May 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I think we're all agreed on

1) Watson
2) Robson
3) Broady

Top 200 players, so there is no reason for them not to get one.

4) Konta - I expect her to get one because her form this year has been good on the US circuit, and eventually she will be a brit.
5) South - Long standing brit. And has been playing reasonably well on the Asian grass court ITF swing. Edging back towards 250.
6) Dokic - Last year they gave one to Danilidou, so if they do something similar they may give one to Dokic
Beyond that I have no idea, Kleybanova if she doesn't use PR, maybe Chakvetadze. But I doubt they will give two russians with similar stories a WC. Or if someone makes a good run at RG they may be rewarded with one.

QWC
1) Moore
2) Webley-Smith
3) Murray
4) Fitzpatrick
5) Eleanor Dean 16 YO had decent junior and senior appearances considering her age.
6) Barty - Junior Champion
7) One more brit probably Whybourn or Stephenson
8) Winner of a play off including the other brits Brown, Windley, Slater, Foster etc.

Also going to say Oudin/Chakvetadze, will certainly get QWC if they don't make the cut.

cn ireland
May 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM
For the MD I'd love to see Dokic, Stevenson & Barty get one but I know that realistically Barty is the only one of these 3 that is likely to get it.

tenisboss
May 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM
For the MD I'd love to see Dokic, Stevenson & Barty get one but I know that realistically Barty is the only one of these 3 that is likely to get it.

British Tennis Federation doesn't exchange WCs with Tennis Australia, USTA and FFT so all MD WC will be british, or players who get it from British Federation

Meelis
May 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
All England Club`s wildcard committee decides the wildcards, not LTA.

nevetssllim
May 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21405115&postcount=3333

Sounds like Alisa is taking a bit more time away from the courts.

Ricardo89
May 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
My Main Draw Predictions:

I think Heather Watson new ranking will make her reach the cut. i feel the All England Club are going to have drop the 250 rule, i feel all british fans who go to wimbledon every year would prefer to see british players rather than european players they have never heard of, I know I certainly do anyway :).

1)Laura Robson - obvious reasons
2)Naomi Broady - Has not had the best of starts this year but still feel can give her best on grass courts(2011 Birmingham)
3)Mel South - Again has not had the best of years so far, but think she could cause an upset in front of home crowd and has done it before(beating Fran Schiavone)
4)Tara Moore - Upcoming player and still feel if she can have a good couple of weeks in asia and then have a good tournament in Nottingham then she defo deserves it.
5)Samantha Murray - had a fantastic 2011 and is still climbing up the rankings and feel she comes up with her best on the british grass(2011)
6&7&8) maybe 1 to Johanna Konta and Anna chakvatase(soz about spelling :) )

Qualifying

1)Emily Webley Smith
2)Anna Fitzpatrick
3)Jade Windley
4)Lisa Whybourn
5)Fran Stephenson
6&7)Winners Of Play off
8)Ashleigh Barty

Chilenaitor
May 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM
there are a play offs?

Ricardo89
May 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Quick Questions anyone, dont the All England Club or the LTA usually release a document every year to state the criteria stating that they have to be at 250 or under to get a MD WC and i havent seen anything :)

Kəv.
May 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
They might find a place for Johanna Konta..

I can't see it if she is still under AUS.

vaslav37
May 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
how many wildcards can they give out?

my pick would be

Heather Watson (currently 3 places below the cut off)
Laura Robson
Naomi Broady
Melanie South
Virgine Razzano (WC for French Player)
Jelena Dokic (WC for Australian Player)
Ashleigh Barty (Junior Champion)
Jill Craybas (WC for US player, possibly her last year on tour as well)

HOS
May 15th, 2012, 02:10 AM
1. Watson (if she doesn't get in)
2. Robson
3. Broady

Under Wimby UK tennis rules (maybe they changed) I thought you needed to be in top 250 or under 18 years old to be considered for GB wc?

Either way and with all due respect, I can't see any of Brit players getting a WC...maybe only potty mouth South...
I think the rest are really really open
4. Barty....promotion from QD to MD WC
5. Maybe Dulko...I know arg and GB relations not great but the good looking
6. Kleybanova.....for comebacks sake?
7. Lucic for semifinal in 99 sake?
8. Dokic....same??

Maybe Mattek-Sands, the socks vs Venus match...done well in dubs here...

QD WC's
Melanie South
Tara Moore
Lucy Brown
Emily Webley-Smith
Anna Fitzpatrick
Jade Windley
Lisa Whybourn
Francesca Stephenson
maybe Sammy Murray as the other choice...

joeh37
May 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
how many wildcards can they give out?

Virgine Razzano (WC for French Player)
Jelena Dokic (WC for Australian Player)

Jill Craybas (WC for US player, possibly her last year on tour as well)

But we don't exchange wildcards with French, US or Australian federations. The LTA really have little power in giving out wild cards.

StephenUK
May 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM

But we don't exchange wildcards with French, US or Australian federations. The LTA really have little power in giving out wild cards.

Personally I think there should be ban on wild cards being given to US, French or Australian players into Wimbledon unless a Brit gets one into their slams. If Wimbledon does not want to join in this cosy relationship, it should make a policy of awarding its wild cards elsewhere - to other Europeans, South Americans or Africans who don't have a slam (the Asians get a wild card from the Australians so they can sit this one out IMO). I don't think it's really fair, good player that she is, that Ashleigh Barty could well receive a WC in all four slams this year, whereas Yulia Putintseva does not receive one at all.

Joe.
May 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
When has it ever been that Wimbledon give a WC to a French, US and AUS player? Seriously people, do some research? :o

Presuming Heather needs a WC I think the WCs will be Watson, Robson, Broady, South(suddenly playing well and pretty close to 250)

I would love to see a WC go to a lower ranked British player....IMO the likes of Moore, Murray, Stephenson, Windley and Dean should all compete in a MD WC Play-off to seal the final wildcard?

Oh and to those saying EWS- she's ranked 427 and is in awful form :lol:

joeh37
May 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Whilst I personally wouldn't give one to EWS. She beat Moore today on Grass. So maybe she is getting into some form. Although, Moore is hardly in outstanding form.
I think they should pile more brits into the qualifying draw. Chances are they might get drawn against themselves. Easy 30 points for one of them. It inflates their ranking and they can get easier ITF draws.

Joe.
May 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Whilst I personally wouldn't give one to EWS. She beat Moore today on Grass. So maybe she is getting into some form. Although, Moore is hardly in outstanding form.
I think they should pile more brits into the qualifying draw. Chances are they might get drawn against themselves. Easy 30 points for one of them. It inflates their ranking and they can get easier ITF draws.

Carpet*
And I'm not saying give them all MD WCs :lol: I'm saying let them compete in a play-off for a MD berth, and the rest get QWCs :) It's not all about ranking points, experience is important

killerqueen
May 16th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Watson is three out of the main draw. I think she's got a decent chance of getting in without the wildcard.

joeh37
May 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Carpet*

Kurume is grass, or have they moved inside?

experience is important

Yes but the experience gained by placing a player like Windley in the main draw is not much more than leaving her in qualifying. Except she is more likely to win a match in qualifying and kickstart a ranking build so that she can be considered for MD WC in the future.

MD WC should be reserved for players who have at least shown promise in the past. Either wins over top 100 players or close matches against players at the very top. Which is why I would give Whybourn one over all the brits ranked 250-600. She has shown that she can win matches at Wimbledon (albeit qualifying) beating Floris and Peers. The others haven't really shown that they can beat players ranked above them.

Meelis
May 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Kurume is grass, or have they moved inside?

It´s not grass, but artificial "grass".

http://i48.tinypic.com/5a0w0x.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/9ftf7c.jpg

Carpet with a little bit of sand on it.

Joe.
May 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
MD WC should be reserved for players who have at least shown promise in the past. Either wins over top 100 players or close matches against players at the very top. Which is why I would give Whybourn one over all the brits ranked 250-600. She has shown that she can win matches at Wimbledon (albeit qualifying) beating Floris and Peers. The others haven't really shown that they can beat players ranked above them.

I see where your coming from but recent form is what is important- not how well Lisa was playing 2-3 years ago. Compared to some girls she's had a decent year but she's only won matches at $10ks. For example, giving her a WC over Murray IMO would be ludacrous

StephenUK
May 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
When has it ever been that Wimbledon give a WC to a French, US and AUS player? Seriously people, do some research? :o

Presuming Heather needs a WC I think the WCs will be Watson, Robson, Broady, South(suddenly playing well and pretty close to 250)

I would love to see a WC go to a lower ranked British player....IMO the likes of Moore, Murray, Stephenson, Windley and Dean should all compete in a MD WC Play-off to seal the final wildcard?

Well you clearly haven't done your research:o

In the last 10 years, 7 WCs have gone to Americans or Australians, the most likely non-British nationalities to receive them in fact:

2010 - Riske (USA)
2009 - Glatch (USA)
2008 - Stosur (Aus)
2006 - Molik (Aus)
2004 - Navratilova (USA)
2003 - Morariu (USA), Stosur (Aus)

So the French have received none, but it is quite usual for either an American or an Australian to receive a WC, whereas how many times have Brits received WCs into the Aus or US Opens?

I think that means Barty should be consigned to the qualifying.....

Joe.
May 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Well you clearly haven't done your research:o

In the last 10 years, 7 WCs have gone to Americans or Australians, the most likely non-British nationalities to receive them in fact:

2010 - Riske (USA)
2009 - Glatch (USA)
2008 - Stosur (Aus)
2006 - Molik (Aus)
2004 - Navratilova (USA)
2003 - Morariu (USA), Stosur (Aus)

So the French have received none, but it is quite usual for either an American or an Australian to receive a WC, whereas how many times have Brits received WCs into the Aus or US Opens?

I think that means Barty should be consigned to the qualifying.....

Riske had reached Birmingham SF, Glatch was a top junior- had beaten Pennetta at the French and was being touted as 'the next big thing', Stosur had reached SF at Eastbourne and was known as a very talented player (and had recovered from lymes disease), Molik- crowd favourite coming back from injury, Navratilova is an all time legend, Morariu had overcome her battle with Leukaemia and was a former singles 28 and doubles #1.

None of these had anything to do with their nationalities :wave:

joeh37
May 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I see where your coming from but recent form is what is important- not how well Lisa was playing 2-3 years ago. Compared to some girls she's had a decent year but she's only won matches at $10ks. For example, giving her a WC over Murray IMO would be ludacrous

Fair point, Murray maybe does deserve one.
I think if I was giving them out today. I would venture for
assuming Watson is in main draw.

1) Robson
2) Broady
3) Murray
4) South
5) Konta
6) Grass court play-off

I think I'd leave it there for the Brits (I realise Konta is not technically British) no-one else seems to warrant one, Women's British tennis has been fairly poor this year.

The other two could probably go the way of players like Dulko, Dokic, Chakvetadze etc. Who have shown promise but having a slight slump. Maybe Barty as Junior Champ could get one, but I don't think she warrants 3 GS wildcards (maybe 4) in a year considering she hasn't beaten anyone of real class.

StephenUK
May 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Riske had reached Birmingham SF, Glatch was a top junior- had beaten Pennetta at the French and was being touted as 'the next big thing', Stosur had reached SF at Eastbourne and was known as a very talented player (and had recovered from lymes disease), Molik- crowd favourite coming back from injury, Navratilova is an all time legend, Morariu had overcome her battle with Leukaemia and was a former singles 28 and doubles #1.

None of these had anything to do with their nationalities :wave:

Fair enough but you would never find the French handing out WCs to Americans or Australians for any reason without getting a WC into the US or Aus Opens for one of their players. The Brits are just mugs for giving WCs like these without strings attached, they could have got Watson or Robson into a string of GS main draws without having to play qualies.

goOudinUSA
May 18th, 2012, 01:26 AM
If they give an American a WC, hopefully it is to Melanie Oudin!!

Dawson.
May 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM
The All England Club love an Aussie wildcard! And seeing as though Barty is the Girl's Champion too, it's hard to see her not getting one.

Watson might not even need one but if she does, she, Robson and Broady will be the only British WCs and rightfully so. I think South's previous shit-fests will outweigh her ranking (if she does manage to get in the 250 in time).

It's difficult to say for the others - Chakvetadze, Konta, de Brito (:oh:) and Mattek are possibilities but they'll probably just go for the next in line :yawn:

StephenUK
May 18th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Let's see what happens at Roland Garros and Birmingham..because they quite often give WCs to players who do well at B'ham (eg Riske, Lisicki) and would have had to qualify, also for players who have reached last 16/qf Roland Garros but missed main draw cut off (eg Carla Suarez Navarro a few years back), so maybe if someone like Garbine Muguruza Blanco qualifies and reaches last 16 RG, she could hope for a WC....? I don't think they will give one to Mattek Sands as her record at Wimbledon is poor, Oudin probably stands more chance. Dokic and Lucic are too old hat now to get sentimental wild cards. It will be interesting to see whether Kleybanova is playing with her SR or would request a WC or just not play at all...

Re other Brits - I can't see the likes of South, Murray, Stephenson, Moore et al receiving more than QWCs, the QWCs largely go to Brits.

hellas719
May 21st, 2012, 04:47 AM
Would be funny if Murray plays mixed with Jamie Murray :lol:

Ricardo89
May 21st, 2012, 05:00 PM
Does anyone think the same as me, because it is an big year for british tennis with the olympics they should offer wilcards to at least 6 brits for the MD, hopefully to let them show what they have to give and i think they will rise to the occasion :)

MD Wildcards:
Laura Robson
Naomi Broady
Melanie South
Tara Moore
Samantha Murray:bounce:

pesto
May 22nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
I don't see any reason to believe they will rise to the occasion. I think they are playing all year at the level they are capable of. I don't think they have a secret Overdrive Gear that they don't normally bother to use.

Robson and Broady obviously warrant MDWCs, Any of the others would be doing well if they won a round of qualies.

South could just squeeze in, if she has a good few weeks, and rises a few more places in the rankings. Especially if she has one stand-out result - a title this week, say, or beating a known name, or going a few rounds in a Nottingham Challenger, or qualifying for Birmingham. I don't think her previous performances have been any shittier than one would expect for a low-ranked wildcard, and there was her one good win. The only thing against her is that she's over 25 and had a fair few chances already.

Tara Moore is often spoken of as being talented, but she never seems to make any progress.

I guess Sam Murray is just too low-ranked.

blainec
May 22nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
Whatever happened to Jade Curtis?

joeh37
May 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Whatever happened to Jade Curtis?

She plays college tennis in America. Wise for her because at least she'll have an education to fall back on if she cannot make it to top pro. Although she's 22 now. So who knows what she plans afterwards.

babsi
May 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Laura is a definite for a MDWC

Hopefully they can help Anna C out and give her a QWC.

Ricardo89
May 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
its kinda good news today that Tara Moore, Melenie South and Samantha Murray all had good wins today in Japan, and still feel if they continue their progress and tara moore and samantha murray can get to about 300-320 in the rankings and do well in nottingham 1 then i think they will receive a wildcard for MD :)

Rockjack
May 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Whybourn through to QF at Kaz so showing good form, hopefully she get QWC. With Moore and Murray

Shvedbarilescu
May 24th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Watson will get into the main draw without a WC.

Robson and Broady will both quite rightly get WCs.

There is no other British player who deserves a WC and I believe it would be a mistake to give any other Brits MDMCs.

The only two possible exceptions might be South if she gets her ranking into the top 250 and Konta, who is still an Aussie but is due to be a Brit.

Personally I hope South doesn't get one. Quite simply she doesn't deserve one and has done nothing in the past year to indicate she would be capable of taking advantage of a MDWC if she was handed one. Since Wimbledon last year South has defeated just 2 players ranked in the top 300 and none ranked in the top 200. South would be much better served being given a QWC were she would have a decent shot at picking up 40 ranking points.

So that leaves us with just Robson and Broady. I think they probably will also give a MDWC to either Barty or Konta but not both. Barty will get a QWC if she doesn't get a MDWC.

And that still leaves us with 5 more WCs to be handed out. My guess is a couple of these will go to players who impress either at RG or in the 1st week of the grass campaign. Another 1 or 2 could go to players who have been unfortunate with injuries and physical ailments. Chakvetadze, Kleybanova, Szavay and Sevastova all come to mind.

So that should take up most of the WCs. I still wouldn't be at all surprised though if one or even two of Wimbledon's alloted WCs weren't even used and went to the players next in. It wouldn't be the 1st time Wimbledon has passed on using WCs and just handed them to the next in player.

Ricardo89
May 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I dont understand though, the LTA and The All England Club are all saying they look to the youngsters but if you look at the rankings and if they only give wilcards to Robson and Broady they are obviously going to give QWC to South, Moore, Murray, Webley-Smith which only leaves 4 wildcards and probably 1 will go to Ash Barty and two will go to WC Playoffs winners and someone else, which could mean the likes of Lucy Brown, Francesca Stephenson and Elenor Dean could all miss out and not get given a chance. also i still have not seen any documentation saying the 250 rule is in place this year which they always release.

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I dont understand though, the LTA and The All England Club are all saying they look to the youngsters but if you look at the rankings and if they only give wilcards to Robson and Broady they are obviously going to give QWC to South, Moore, Murray, Webley-Smith which only leaves 4 wildcards and probably 1 will go to Ash Barty and two will go to WC Playoffs winners and someone else, which could mean the likes of Lucy Brown, Francesca Stephenson and Elenor Dean could all miss out and not get given a chance. also i still have not seen any documentation saying the 250 rule is in place this year which they always release.

Just like it doesn't really make a lot of sense to give MDWCs to players ranked outside the top 250, personally I don't see the common sense in giving QWCs to players not ranked in the top 500. :shrug:

Joe.
May 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just like it doesn't really make a lot of sense to give MDWCs to players ranked outside the top 250, personally I don't see the common sense in giving QWCs to players not ranked in the top 500. :shrug:

They're young- the experience could kick start their careers

guichard
May 29th, 2012, 01:21 AM

They have release it http://www.lta.org.uk/NewWebsite/LTA/Documents/Players%20and%20Parents/Performance%20Players/Wimbledon%20wild%20card%20policy%202012.pdf

Ricardo89
May 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks Joe I completely agree give them a chance and I think they could show us what they have, you also have to think they are always playing on the itf circuit which is difficult, their is no atmosphere because their are no crowds, their is hardly any points on offer and it is a real hard tour to play on. So i think if u give the likes of Moore and Murray the chance they could cause an upset :)

Ricardo89
May 29th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Lol they must of just released it well that's interesting the only thing I can think is if Moore and Murray do well in the first 2 grass court tournaments they may still be considered u never know, but if not then well :(

StephenUK
May 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Clearly only Broady and Robson will make the top 250 criterion for MDWC.

The next question is to which 6 girls will be submitted for QDWC and which will end up in the play-off for the last QDWC place....

Next 6 by ranking are:

277 South
339 Moore
362 Murray
407 Webley-Smith
510 Fitzpatrick
518 Carreras

BUT Lisa Whybourn will move up above Fitzpatrick and Carreras after having reached the final of a $25k in Uzbekistan last week.
If the LTA want to push younger players, then maybe the likes of Lucy Brown, Francesca Stephenson and Eleanor Dean may be favoured with QWCs rather than someone like Webley-Smith, although on the other hand Webley-Smith did well as a MDWC, almost winning her first round match last year.
So I would guess QWCs will go to South, Moore, Murray, Webley-Smith, Whybourn and one of Brown, Stephenson and Dean with the other girls going into the play-off pot.
But I would imagine that performances in the Nottingham $75k ITF next week could be influential too, they will need to make their decisions by the end of that event, as the play-off is played the next week.

I suppose there is a glimmer of hope that South could somehow reach the top 250 in time, but I doubt it. She has been on an exclusive diet of easy-peasy Australian and Japanese ITFs for the last 6 months and has failed to make any impression even on those - if you can't scoop a top 250 ranking from those events, you don't deserve to be in GS qualifying - players on the western European and US ITF tours have far tougher entries and generally will have faced and beaten many other players in the qualifying tournament.

jake270392
May 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Johanna Konta is now officially a Brit, and is ranked at 208 so she is eligible for a WC.

croat123
May 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM
does she change nationalities based on what slam is coming up? this is ridiculous

Uranus
May 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
does she change nationalities based on what slam is coming up? this is ridiculous
She applied for UK citizenship years ago

jake270392
May 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM

No, shes lived in the UK since she was a child and has been waiting a long time for her citizenship to come through. And anyway she has never been granted anything from Australia in terms of Wildcards, sponsors or funding from them :)

Joe.
May 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'm fairly confident that the MDWCs will go to Robson, Broady, Konta and South

Ricardo89
May 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
i totally agree with Joe, however i still think if Tara Moore and Samantha Murray do well in Nottingham, then i i think they might get one each :)

Really happy though that we have Johanna Konta :)

pesto
May 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I think South had another decent week in Japan and will be ranked about 260, so very close to the cut-point. A good week in Nottingham or Birmingham could see her into the top 250.

I don't actually think she has a terribly good case for a MDWC, except in the negative - there is no-one else close to the cut-off. If we had half a dozen players vying for it in the 200-300 range, I think you'd always go for the younger girls who haven't stagnated, but we don't have that choice.

Hopefully Konta will get one.

Dawson.
May 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
It's surprising that Konta hasn't received any sort of wildcard before into the 3 British events. She's been British in everything except the three letters that follow her name for a while now. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd imagine being offered wild cards now to be a tad insulting.

pesto
May 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I doubt it.

I think this'd be the first year she'd have a ranking <250 for MDWC eligibility at Wimby, and Eastbourne has a really tough draw with even the likes of Bally and Anne needing WCs.

I think she'd have needed to be making more noteworthy progress for the WC committees to make a special case for her.

So who knows, maybe the timing is good - she might be getting to the point when she can make it count.

Dawson.
May 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I was thinking more for Birmingahm and Wimby qualifying. I believe Samantha Murray got a wildcard for both these events last year whilst being ranked outside the top 500.

Nicolas
May 30th, 2012, 07:26 AM
One for Razzano please :angel:

Rockjack
May 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
That's well good news that Konta is now a Brit. She been steadily going up the rankings this year starting at 315 and now 202. A wildcard for Wimbledon :bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::D, hopefully she not injured as pulled out of her last ITF appearance and French Qualfying. :confused:

StephenUK
May 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM
One for Razzano please :angel:

I was just going to say that. She totally deserves one!!!! :worship:

Sombrerero loco
May 31st, 2012, 11:00 PM
one for shvedova please :)

StephenUK
Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM
If she beats Carla Suarez Navarro today, she should stand a good chance, especially as Wimbledon loves giving WCs to doubles stars.

killerqueen
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Shvedova has to have an excellent shot now. 4R RG, former doubles champ. Back in. top 100..

Sombrerero loco
Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
they should give her one

disco_rage
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Shvedova will get one for sure.

I think main draw wildcards already picked now
1. Robson
2. Shvedova
others still all up for grabs
in with a chance, Konta, Barty, Razzano

Sombrerero loco
Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
naomi broady will get one i think

Dexter
Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Shvedova will get one for sure.

I think main draw wildcards already picked now
1. Robson
2. Shvedova
others still all up for grabs
in with a chance, Konta, Barty, RazzanoA MD WC for Barty would be a waste. She would be better playing qualies where she has an actual chance of picking up some valuable points rather than risking getting crushed again and losing confidence.

StephenUK
Jun 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I imagine they will announce the first raft of wild cards after Roland Garros and Nottingham $75k have concluded.

Most likely wild cards in first wave:
1 Laura Robson - top 250 Brit
2 Naomi Broady - top 250 Brit
3 Johanna Konta - top 250 newby Brit

Possible wild cards
4 Yaroslava Shvedova - RG quarter-finalist, beating champion Na Li - this would follow a pattern giving WCs to Barbara Schwartz and Carla Suarez Navarro in previous years
5 Melanie South - could be top 250 Brit if she does well in Nottingham $75k, otherwise will presumably get QWC
6 Ashleigh Barty - junior champion will receive a MDWC or a QWC, we will find out

Wait and see wild card, probably announced in second wave after Birmingham:
7 Heather Watson - if she does not get in direct entry, still needs a few withdrawals, so this decision could be held back until the last minute
8 player who does well at Birmingham but would have to qualify, cf Lisicki, Riske
If they run out of ideas, they have even given a WC to the next in player on the list, could happen if no-one fits these criteria

QWCs for Brits must be decided after Roland Garros/Nottingham as play-offs for last two QWCs are being held week of Birmingham/second Nottingham $50k ITF

I can see Melanie Oudin getting at least a QWC, why else would she have made the trip to Britain, or is she just after points in the ITFs?

guichard
Jun 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I am pretty sure they will announce Watson on June 12(according to the official website they will announce Wild Cards on that day) if she is not in already, there is no point of holding it back until the last minute.

Ricardo89
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Shame Mel South lost today to Tara Moore but i still think with Mels ranking on monday(around the 260 mark) she will still get one and also if tara beats pliskova and reaches the quarters of nottingham then they might give her one as well as she is only 19 and is a fantastic upcoming player, well what i saw today against mel was fab :)

StephenUK
Jun 5th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Shame Mel South lost today to Tara Moore but i still think with Mels ranking on monday(around the 260 mark) she will still get one and also if tara beats pliskova and reaches the quarters of nottingham then they might give her one as well as she is only 19 and is a fantastic upcoming player, well what i saw today against mel was fab :)

Don't count on it. I think Mel has blown her chance of an MDWC with that result and she doesn't really deserve one as she did have the easiest draw in town to get to round two, as well as a ranking for the most part gained from second-rate $25ks in Australia and Japan which are far easier than their north American or western European counterparts. As for Tara Moore, she needs to win the tournament to get into the top 250, which, given the very strong entry, would be extremely unlikely. I think both players will get QWCs.

HOS
Jun 8th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Reckon, like everyone else, Shvedova will get one for sure. Great RG, former top 40 player, as well as being former doubles champ here....
...still assuming Watson is in
1. Shvedova
2. Robson
3. Broady
I reckon these are the only certainties....

I still think:
Gisela Dulko- they liked her beating Maria S on CC a few years back...although UK/Arg no likey
Ashleigh Barty - maybe they will stick to the QD
Bethanie Mattek-Sands- the socks against venus,

If she is well enough, no updates recently, maybe Kleybanova- feel good story
Not Dokic (is she even playing anymore or Lucic)

Maybe Razzano??

QD, if no Barty

QDQC
1 Melanie South 3/05/1986 GBR
2 Tara Moore 6/08/1992 GBR
3 Lucy Brown 11/01/1993 GBR
4 Emily Webley-Smith 14/07/1984 GBR
5 Anna Fitzpatrick 6/04/1989 GBR
6 Jade Windley 22/04/1990 GBR
7 Lisa Whybourn 11/05/1991 GBR
8 Francesca Stephenson 23/08/1993 GBR
or Samantha Murray GBR
or Vogt

GOATdin0931
Jun 8th, 2012, 01:39 AM
QWC for Oudin? :shrug:

Joe.
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
There's no way the AELTC will only award 2 British MDWCs

tenisboss
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Robson
Watson (if not in MD)
Broady
Moore
Murray
Konta
Barty
Shvedova

GOATdin0931
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Oudin? :p

Rockjack
Jun 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Will Konta the new Brit even get a wildcard? She not in Birmingham and she ranked higher then Moore and South who have them. Hope she don't get snubbed.

StephenUK
Jun 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Will Konta the new Brit even get a wildcard? She not in Birmingham and she ranked higher then Moore and South who have them. Hope she don't get snubbed.

Konta is flying the flag in the $50k in Nottingham next week, someone has to do it! Now she is a Brit, surely she must get a WC as there are only three others currently eligible for one, and one of those, Watson, only needs three more withdrawals (including Petkovic) to make the main draw, so she probably won't even need a WC.

Ricardo89
Jun 11th, 2012, 08:58 PM
First lot of wildcards will be announced tomorrow how exciting:

Laura Robson
Naomi Broady
Johanna Konta
Mel south
Tara Moore
Samantha Murray
Shevdova
Maybe chakvatatze(sorry about spelling :) lol)

vaslav37
Jun 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
you have forgotten Heather Watson, she was outside the cut off...

Ricardo89
Jun 12th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I think Heather will make the cut any way because she only needs 2 more pull outs and both Silvia soler espinosa and vera zvonereva need surgery so won't be ready for Wimbledon :)

guichard
Jun 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Women's singles Wimbledon wild cards: Naomi Broady, Johanna Konta, Laura Robson, Heather Watson. Shvedova, Razzano. 2 to be announced

Doubles: Baltacha & keothavong, Broady & Konta, Moore & South and Robson & Watson.

@britishtennis

Ricardo89
Jun 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM
What then happens if Heather gets in does the wc come available to someone else.

guichard
Jun 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
What then happens if Heather gets in does the wc come available to someone else.
they can give it to another player or just let the next alternate in

Mforensic
Jun 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
WC qualies

Tara Moore, Melanie South, Samantha Murray, and Ashleigh Barty

Rockjack
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Weird to give Watson as certainly a few will withdraw- petkovic, soler, zvonreva,

Also South given a WC QD but her win at Birmingham today over Lucic should give her MD as she be top 250- maybe she will take Watson WC when she gets in automatically

Kevin.
Jun 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
hopefully Webley-Smith gets at least a QWC

Ricardo89
Jun 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I Still think what will happen is when Heather Watson gets promoted to the Main Draw(she defo will with all the injuries about)and if Mel South Can give a fairly good performance against Jelena Jankovic she should be given a wc to the Main Draw and also the same for Tara Moore on her performance today and if she makes the 3rd round of birmingham(i can see her winning against casey delacqua)defo think she deserves one of the remaining MD wildcards :)

CooCooCachoo
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
The Razzano choice surprises me. Guess the win over Serena made a big splash.

lolada_4
Jun 13th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Can MLB get a WC?

tenisboss
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I wonder who will get these 2 MD WCs... Whybourn, Windley and the best to of QWC play-off should get QWC

spiceboy
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Melanie Oudin will probably get a QWC. Even a MDWC is possible depending how well she does in Birmingham.

Ricardo89
Jun 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I defo think that even though Mel South and Tara Moore both lost today, i still think Mel South deserves Heathers MDWC and i also think Tara should receive 1 as well, you look at this week for both of them, both had really good wins in the first round and Mel i think pushed and worried Jankovic and even though Moore probably should of beaten Dellacqua she played really well. I actually think this will happen because if you think about it Mel will go to about 253 next week and would be close to the cut off and also moore, even though she is no where near to the cut off the rules do say for any player who has played well leading up to the championships would be considered :)

you have to hope lol, also Razzano has retired from her match today interesting

joeh37
Jun 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Oudin, has probably bagged herself a WC, at the very least a QWC.
South I expect to get a MDWC ater her Lucic win Moore might grab one too.

Whybourn and Windley will get QWC I'm pretty sure. I think all the semi finalists from the Play off will also get in.

Ricardo89
Jun 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Lisa Whybourn has just tweeted "Have a funny feeling I'm about to get massively screwed over!!! does this mean she is not receiving a wildcard after all :(

Meelis
Jun 15th, 2012, 10:47 AM
She seems to think so :unsure:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/Other-Sports/Plucky-win-comes-at-a-cost-for-Whybourn-14062012.htm

But there are spare QWC still.

pesto
Jun 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Now that Hev doesn't need a MDWC, surely Misaki Doi must be in line for one with her Birmingham performances? And Oudin too, either Q or MD.

fcBarcelona
Jun 16th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think that one is surely going to Mirza.

Rockjack
Jun 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Whybourn and Windley must surely be getting QWC as they didn't enter play offs and had WC,s in grass events. Oudin will surely get a WC with her performances.

Ricardo89
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Wohooo Lisa Whybourn has just tweeted she is off to London - Wimbledon yeah i if Mel South and Tara Moore have been given a md wc:)

Kevin.
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Confirmed-Melanie Oudin gets MD WC

mirzafanindia
Jun 18th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I think that one is surely going to Mirza.

Does she have a chance?:eek:

tenisboss
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM
WILD CARDS ANNOUNCED FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012

by AELTC
Sunday 17 June 2012
The AELTC has announced the wild cards for The Championships 2012.

Event 1: Gentlemen's Singles

1. Jamie Baker (GBR)
2. David Goffin (BEL)
3. Oliver Golding (GBR)
4. Josh Goodall (GBR)
5. Tommy Haas (GER)
6. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
7. James Ward (GBR)
8. Grega Zemlja (SLO)

Event 2: Gentlemen's Doubles

1. Jamie Delgado and Ken Skupski (GBR)
2. Lleyton Hewitt and Chris Guccione (AUS)
3. Liam Broady and Oliver Golding (GBR)
4. Josh Goodall and James Ward (GBR)
5. Jonathan Marray (GBR) and Frederik Nielsen (DEN)

Event 3: Ladies' Singles

1. Naomi Broady (GBR)
2. Johanna Konta (GBR)
3. Virginie Razzano (FRA)
4. Laura Robson (GBR)
5. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)
6. Heather Watson (GBR)
7. Ashleigh Barty (AUS)
8. Melanie Oudin (USA)

Event 4: Ladies' Doubles

1. Naomi Broady and Johanna Konta (GBR)
2. Tara Moore and Melanie South (GBR)
3. Laura Robson and Heather Watson (GBR)
4. Not used - next direct acceptance
5. Not used - next direct acceptance

Event 5: Mixed Doubles

TBA

Event 9: Gentlemen's Wheelchair Doubles

1. Mark McCarroll and Gordon Reid (GBR)

Event 10: Ladies' Wheelchair Doubles

1. Lucy Shuker and Jordanne Whiley (GBR)

Qualifying Gentlemen's Singles

1. Luke Bambridge (GBR)
2. Liam Broady (GBR)
3. Kyle Edmund (GBR)
4. George Morgan (GBR)
5. Luke Saville (AUS)
6. David Rice (GBR)
7. Chris Eaton (GBR)
8. Richard Bloomfield (GBR)
9. Edward Corrie (GBR)

Qualifying Ladies' Singles

1. Katy Dunne (GBR)
2. Tara Moore (GBR)
3. Samantha Murray (GBR)
4. Melanie South (GBR)
5. Anna Fitzpatrick (GBR)
6. Emily Webley-Smith (GBR)
7. Lisa Whybourn (GBR)
8. Jade Windley (GBR)

Qualifying Gentlemen's Doubles

1. Lewis Burton and George Morgan (GBR)
2. David Rice and Sean Thornley (GBR)

Qualifying Ladies' Doubles

TBA

Rockjack
Jun 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Oh so Heather Watson was a WC in the end?. Strange could of chucked another Brit in there as WC MD and had Watson as direct acceptance.

Job1925
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Oh so Heather Watson was a WC in the end?. Strange could of chucked another Brit in there as WC MD and had Watson as direct acceptance.

I think we can anticipate a clarification coming soon. Watson is clearly one of the 108 direct entries. A similar event happened at the Australian Open when Jérémy Chardy, who was announced as a wildcard, became a direct acceptance and Kenny de Schepper received the replacement wildcard.

Trigo
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Qualifying Ladies' Singles

6. Emily Webley-Smith (GBR)
7. Lisa Whybourn (GBR)
8. Jade Windley (GBR)

Love this Webley-Whybourn-Windley thing... some many Ws and Ys...
Sounds very british to me!
:silly:

Joe.
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I think that ultimately, these are the best picks :)

ricanpuigfan
Jun 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I agree with you. From those picks however, I like Oudin's chances. She won the most recent tournament on grass and has some match tough experience against top 10 players under her belt. I hope they all do well.