PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best ever winning percentage : Evert or Court

LightWarrior
May 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I thought it was Evert but here and there I read Court. Does it have to do with the fact that Court played before and after the Open era ?

tennisvideos
May 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I thought it was Evert but here and there I read Court. Does it have to do with the fact that Court played before and after the Open era ?

Court has a slight lead. Not sure of the exact figures. I think it's like 91.4% to 91%. Then I think Steffi is on about 89% and Navratilova on 88%. Close to that anyway.

There was no difference before and after the Open era for women - all the top women competed in both eras unlink the men who had a professional and amateur tour before 1968 - with the best men playing the pro ranks.

LightWarrior
May 11th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well I read :
"Best Career win-loss record singles matches 1973-89 of 1309-146 (89.96%) of any player man or woman." (tennis records on wiki)

I meant Evert. Second source says Court is.

tennisvideos
May 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Well I read :
"Best Career win-loss record singles matches 1973-89 of 1309-146 (89.96%) of any player man or woman." (tennis records on wiki)

I meant Evert. Second source says Court is.

The data on Margaret Court's career is not available on any official WTA site because they have limited results pre-early 70s when the WTA was formed. But her career information, including the fact she has won at least 199 singles titles, plus her career win-loss percentage of 91.4% is available here in the BFTP. Hopefully, this information will one day be picked up by the official bodies like ITF, WTA etc. The information in here is more accurate and comprehensive than on any other site to my knowledge.

That is why you hear that Martina Navratilova has the most singles titles (167) when in reality it is Margaret Court on 199. They mainstream media and journalist just don't have all the correct data.

justineheninfan
May 12th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evert was definitely the all time queen of consistency. Court is up there too in that regard but even she had breaks, a temporary retirement, and a couple down years. Dont think there will ever be a player as consistently great as Evert every single year for almost two decades. Simply amazing. Maybe God created Navratilova, the ultimate and only ever nightmare for Chris, so Chris wouldnt reach 35 slams or some ridiculous tally nobody would ever catch.

Wimbledon9
May 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Chris Evert has such a high winning percentage because when she lost two or three times in a row she took three months of if she would have played on through her losses she would have a lower winning percentage.
A winning percentage is not too relevant it is the tournaments you win.

thrust
May 15th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Evert was definitely the all time queen of consistency. Court is up there too in that regard but even she had breaks, a temporary retirement, and a couple down years. Dont think there will ever be a player as consistently great as Evert every single year for almost two decades. Simply amazing. Maybe God created Navratilova, the ultimate and only ever nightmare for Chris, so Chris wouldnt reach 35 slams or some ridiculous tally nobody would ever catch.

Between 1968-75, the Open Era, Court had a winning % of 94.4%. She had 593 wins, and 56 losses. From 1960-75 her winning % was about 92% which is higher than Evert's, therefore, Court was slightly more consistant than Chris.

LightWarrior
May 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
That is why you hear that Martina Navratilova has the most singles titles (167) when in reality it is Margaret Court on 199. They mainstream media and journalist just don't have all the correct data.

Interesting. But I've never read once that Court holds the most singles titles. And that is in parallel to her holding the record of the best winning percentage. Which would mean that what happened before 1968 doesn't matter as much as what happened after. It's weird but it seems to be the way it is.

alfajeffster
May 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Interesting. But I've never read once that Court holds the most singles titles. And that is in parallel to her holding the record of the best winning percentage. Which would mean that what happened before 1968 doesn't matter as much as what happened after. It's weird but it seems to be the way it is.

We never hear anything much about Margaret Court from the commentary, and in fact, I can only recall one time when Billie Jean was mentioned as having more than her listed total if you consider pre Open-Era stats. It's silly really, because as TV points out, all the women's tournaments prior to 1968 were open to all players. Ann Jones suffers most from this, because even though she won Wimbledon in 1969, the bulk of her tournament wins came in 1960-1968.

thrust
May 17th, 2012, 02:18 AM
We never hear anything much about Margaret Court from the commentary, and in fact, I can only recall one time when Billie Jean was mentioned as having more than her listed total if you consider pre Open-Era stats. It's silly really, because as TV points out, all the women's tournaments prior to 1968 were open to all players. Ann Jones suffers most from this, because even though she won Wimbledon in 1969, the bulk of her tournament wins came in 1960-1968.

TRUE! BJK has about 110 sanctioned tournament wins. Either the WTA is too lazy to get all the facts or they want to promote the Open Era Players. Jones, Mortimer, Bueno, Richey, all had more than 50 career wins. Court has 92 in the Open Era, which is about the same amount in the Women' open era prior to 1968.

daze11
May 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
TRUE! BJK has about 110 sanctioned tournament wins. Either the WTA is too lazy to get all the facts or they want to promote the Open Era Players. Jones, Mortimer, Bueno, Richey, all had more than 50 career wins. Court has 92 in the Open Era, which is about the same amount in the Women' open era prior to 1968.
but they dont even bother getting the correct numbers with open era players like chris... and i know there are no plans to go back over those previous results & change anything; the past is considered 'speculative' and not something they would budget for. Which is also silly, because there are plenty of people who would do it for free for the sake of history! In fact, as mentioned, this forum has basically tabulated most of the work that would need to be done. At the least, all they'd need is a fact checker to go over the exact same library newspaper microfilms that researchers here have done to verify no one was making things up. There arent THAT many tournaments!! lol ... a simple binder could easily hold all the results needed for every event played in per year. :)

AndrewTas
May 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Court's record of 199 single's tournaments may be in danger of being overtaken by Elizabeth Ryan. In Ryan's thread I state that Ryan won 193 singles tournaments but after Mark Ryan's work and tournaments in the Spaldings and Wright and Ditson annuals Ryan won some tournaments in the US and Canada before leaving for England. I need to update my records for Ryan to get the exact number.

gabybackhand
May 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
It played a great role when women started to fight for their equality as sportspeople and in the following years, but from its general attitude to their own past champions, whom they should cherish, it's plain obvious that WTA nowadays is a big piece of cr-p!

alfajeffster
May 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I think it would be an interesting project to see who had the most tournaments prior to the be-all end-all year 1968, when tennis became "Open". Of course, who they tout now as all-time most tourneys wouldn't even be in the conversation.

thrust
May 19th, 2012, 02:52 AM
According to Bud Collins, Court has 184 tournament wins. I saw a list that counted tournaments and tournament wins year to year from 1960-1977. According to that breakdown, Court had 182 wins. Ryan is a very strange case. She won tons of tournaments, but could never win a Slam or beat Suzanne, Helen or Molla. She was probably the best tier 2 player of all time. The fact is though that era had very little great competition, which IMO, is the reason Lenglen and Wills were nearly unbeatable. Ryan was able to win most of the tournaments those players did not compete it.

thrust
May 19th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Court has a slight lead. Not sure of the exact figures. I think it's like 91.4% to 91%. Then I think Steffi is on about 89% and Navratilova on 88%. Close to that anyway.

There was no difference before and after the Open era for women - all the top women competed in both eras unlink the men who had a professional and amateur tour before 1968 - with the best men playing the pro ranks.

Total career - 91.94% Open Era - 94.4% with 92 tournament wins.

Lyoshka80
May 31st, 2012, 04:42 PM
According to what I've seen so far, Court had a 91.74% winning record (1177-106), while Evert had a 90.06% (1304-144). Graf is third with 88.67% (900-115) and Navratilova fourth with 86.81% (1442-219).