PDA

View Full Version : All time greats who are about equal to each other on all surfaces

mistymore
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Who are some all time greats, both top end, and lower end, who you think are just about equal on all surfaces. As far as overall greatness and ability, not neccessarily the head to head matchup. Here would be some of mine:

Graf and Court- granted Court didnt get to play much on hard courts, but I imagine they would have been close on that too.

Goolagong and Mandlikova

Wills Moody and Lenglen

Seles and Henin- the one exception is probably slower hard courts. On grass, clay, faster hard courts, and indoors, I think they are about equal on each, obviously both only about 40% as good on grass as they are on clay for instance.

Serena and Venus- except on rebound ace where Serena is light years ahead, but on everything else pretty equal.

OK so in some cases I gave examples of all but one place. Can some of you think of any. Actually it doesnt even have to be all time greats, just any combination of players you can think of. Possibly Sanchez Vicario and Sabatini is another one.

gabybackhand
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
It's an interesting thread, and I agree with the ones you posted here, maybe I don't see Henin as strong as Seles on indoors, and the same for ASV who I think didn't do as well on that surface as Sabatini.

mistymore
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM
It's an interesting thread, and I agree with the ones you posted here, maybe I don't see Henin as strong as Seles on indoors, and the same for ASV who I think didn't do as well on that surface as Sabatini.

I agree on ASV and Sabatini indoors come to think of it though, ASV was nowhere near as strong as Sabatini on that surface. On all other courts I think they are fairly even though.

thrust
May 17th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Court-Evert. Despite what most think, IMO, Court would be Evert's equal on clay.

mistymore
May 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Court-Evert. Despite what most think, IMO, Court would be Evert's equal on clay.

Do you think Evert is Court's equal on grass however?