PDA

View Full Version : Does Kvitova really want it?

pov
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I mean really. Based on what seems to be increasing belly fat and a halfhearted approach to getting in tip-top condition, I think she doesn't. Sure she'd like it and she's genuinely putting effort into it, but I think the intensity of her drive isn't that high. IMO the main reason she won Wimbledon and the YEC is the natural talent in her game.

pov
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
I do like Petra, idolizing I do not know but what I know is your argument "Petra is unfit" from a simple belly doesn't find echo
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.

mikireturns
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.

Excelscior
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.

Nice post.

Plus, anyone that's seen Petra 3 yrs ago, compared to now (or read her coaches comments about her desire and openness, when they first met to discuss her tennis future), would highly question the "she doesn't want it enough" premise.

But that's just my two cents (and response to your post). Not looking for a debate or argument from anyone. :lol: :) :lol:

Vikapower
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.

You just enunciated what Petra had been doing the last few month(s)/week(s) etc. which is physical conditioning right, no ? -- probably you have understood that this not specifically related to fitness but need something to rock your boat. :eek:

Your arguments sole turns around a belly to make a general statement of XXX order -- like I said you're using the wrong observations that make you draw the wrong conclusions or probably you're doing this on purpose. :eek:

From a general stand-point she's fit -- IK her ITW's etc. where she talks about all that (fitness etc.) and took a romantic tour with boy-friend in Turkey to deal with these etc. but my only issue is your faculty to use one aspect and over-amplify it to draw conclusions who tend to be false --

Her "so called" belly doesn't affect her overall fitness that much IMo, so as having a small belly doesn't mean a player is unfit, there are too many parameters for you to come up with such only from here and there pictures --

:lol: As for the rest, I'll leave you out with the "general theories", e.g., player needs to be fit to compete at high level etc. which anyways are just sugarcoating from pure evidence to bring agreement even if in the base they are right. ;)

mac47
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.

Excelscior
Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.

I agree with everything you said about Petra's priorities and what she should work on Mac.

My one quibble (unless you meant for this year; post injuries/layoff, or just in general), is that Petra had no problem with Stamina what so ever last year; both in matches and during the long year.

Of course, I agree all players (including Petra) should strive to have better/more stamina, if there's room to do so, as long as it improves their tennis (a player like Caro for example, wouldn't be helped anymore. She needs to work on her actual tennis). Lol.

One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.

Can't fault Petra for that (losing weight at the expense of her stomach), if it doesn't affect or improve her tennis game, over other more pertinent priorities. She's come so far (the last 2-3 yrs), while having so much more to go, the next 1-3 yrs, and there after.

Good Luck/Go Petra.

naranka
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.

It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.

mac47
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
True that Petra had no problems with stamina last year, but she has had some this year, especially in the loss to McHale.

Young 8
Jun 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud

Excelscior
Jun 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud

Are you trolling? Cause I'm not sure what you were looking at in the match.

Petra looked fine and quite svelte. :help:

pov
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM

You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? :eek: She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.

pov
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.
:facepalm: You poor twisted sod.

Excelscior
Jun 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? :eek: She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.

I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head. :)

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course). :lol:

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).

Queen Petra Fan
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
:sad:I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head. :)

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course). :lol:

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).

Fuck her stomach! What about her focus and preparation? Petra's game is in the tank at the moment. :sad:

Young 8
Jun 19th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I was looking to her belly and no she doesn't look fine

She gained weight since last year, in the love handles area too

But I suppose this is too hard to understand for an idiotic fanboy

steni
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:45 PM

In the what?

Melange
Jun 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
“I would still like to see her more aggressive. For Petra it is always a matter of missing or making the shots. If she makes them she could on a given day beat anybody. She is a great talent and she wants it badly and she has got a great head on her shoulders and I think the sky is the limit.”

is good

Excelscior
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM

Funny.

This is ironic, since several other people posted she looked very slim on GM (including her stomach), so I guess there is more than one "idiotic fan boy present". :lol: :eek: :lol:

Secondly, if you actually follow tennis (which I'm not sure if you do), you'll notice that players--especially women, weights fluctuate, as well as what their wearing in regards to their appearance. Therefore, you can't always make such definitive claims (like you did), off of one tournament, without express caveats, patience, restraint or precursors.

Petra's stomach, didn't look abnormally big to me on television at all. I think she looked quite fine, myself (as others explicitly noted as well).

And what did her stomach have to do with her loss anyway (which was your only contribution to your flippant post); that's what puzzles me? :scratch: :cuckoo: :scratch:

Petra's got bigger, more pressing current concerns, Me-Za thinks (ala Jajar Binks) at the moment. :confused:

ServeCaspian
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
No. Not in the way Maria & Serena do, but her road to tennis has been different so it's understandable. In her 3 matches with Maria this year it was Maria's relentless intensity that killed her more than anything else. Petra literally needs to be firing on all cylinders to contend IMO.

b2b
Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
fitness level doesn't necessarily improve your game. look stosur. And Petra already has massive power,does she really need to pump it up?

body fat is also efficient at burning(providing energy) and cushioning injuries. whether it's excessive,you better provide stats rather than looking at that belly and concluding everything. i really didn't see she gaining that much weight from last year when she was in-form. and at least this kind of physique better than a figure like Ivanovic.

again, i‘m not sure what the "potential" you are referring to. She has power,she bashes and ?
so i'm starting to draw comparisons between her and Venus. somehow i feel she’s much less talented than Venus.

pov
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I mean really. Based on what seems to be increasing belly fat and a halfhearted approach to getting in tip-top condition, I think she doesn't. Sure she'd like it and she's genuinely putting effort into it, but I think the intensity of her drive isn't that high. IMO the main reason she won Wimbledon and the YEC is the natural talent in her game.
:shrug: Just sayin'

Petronius
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Just randomly visiting this thread so that you not feel so lonely here :hug:

On a serious note, you are spot on, as 'Does she really want it?' is THE question now.

PetraReeMona
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM
I'm starting to agree with Pov :eek: :bolt: :help:

TeamUla
Jan 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I think she should play some smaller tournament to get some confidence back.
How about playing Memphis instead Dubai?

flyingmachine
Jan 17th, 2013, 10:52 PM
To be honest I think her problem is more up in her head than anything else.