PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup Nominations Out (3 Top 10 PetraSamSerena)- Which Ties You Look Forward Watch?

NA-GOAT
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
The ITF has announced the official team nominations for the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group semifinals, World Group play-offs and World Group II play-offs, to be played on 21-22 April.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Group semifinals

Russia v Serbia
Venue: Sports Palace "Megasport"
Surface: Indoor clay

Russia are without the services of Maria Sharapova and Vera Zvonareva, but such is the strength in depth of Russian women's tennis at the moment that captain Shamil Tarpischev can still call upon three players ranked inside the Top 30, including the dependable Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Serbia, on the other hand, are at full strength for the trip to Moscow as they compete in the World Group semifinals for the first time. Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, both former world No. 1s, spearhead the challenge for the visitors.

Russia
Maria Kirilenko
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Elena Vesnina
Shamil Tarpischev (captain)

Serbia
Ana Ivanovic
Jelena Jankovic
Bojana Jovanovski
Aleksandra Krunic
Dejan Vranes (captain)

Czech Republic v Italy
Venue: CEZ Arena
Surface: Indoor hard

Czech Republic continue their title defence with Petra Kvitova, the world No. 3 and reigning Wimbledon champion, leading the way. The left-hander has been in impeccable form for the Czechs of late after winning her last eight successive singles rubbers, although her last defeat came against Italy's Flavia Pennetta at this stage of the competition in 2010.

Pennetta was the Italian No. 1 when she recorded that straight-set victory over Kvitova, but she now finds herself as the team's third highest ranked player since both Francesca Schiavone and Roberta Vinci are now ranked inside the Top 20.

Czech Republic
Petra Kvitova
Lucie Safarova
Lucie Hradecka
Andrea Hlavackova
Petr Pala (captain)

Italy
Francesca Schiavone
Roberta Vinci
Flavia Pennetta
Sara Errani
Corrado Barazzutti (captain)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Group play-offs

Ukraine v USA
Venue: Superior Golf & Spa Resort
Surface: Outdoor clay

Ukraine
Lesia Tsurenko
Elina Svitolina
Lyudmyla Kichenok
Nadiya Kichenok
Igor Dernovskyi (captain)

USA
Serena Williams
Christina McHale
Sloane Stephens
Liezel Huber
Mary Joe Fernandez (captain)

Japan v Belgium
Venue: Ariake Coliseum

Japan
Ayumi Morita
Kimiko Date-Krumm
Kurumi Nara
Rika Fujiwara
Takeshi Murakami (captain)

Belgium
Kirsten Flipkens
Tamaryn Hendler
Alison van Uytvanck
An-Sophie Mestach
Ann Devries (captain)

Spain v Slovak Republic
Venue: Club de Tenis Puente Romano

Spain
Silvia Soler-Espinosa
Lourdes Dominguez-Lino
Arantxa Parra-Santonja
Nuria Llagostera Vives
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (captain)

Slovak Republic
Dominika Cibulkova
Daniela Hantuchova
Magdalena Rybarikova
Anna Karolina Schmiedlova
Matej Liptak (captain)

Germany v Australia
Venue: Porsche Arena
Surface: Indoor clay

Germany
Andrea Petkovic
Angelique Kerber
Julia Goerges
Anna Lena Groenefeld
Barbara Rittner (captain)

Australia
Samantha Stosur
Jarmila Gajdosova
Casey Dellacqua
Olivia Rogowska
David Taylor (captain)

World Group II play-offs

France v Slovenia
Venue: Palais des Sports

France
Pauline Parmentier
Stephanie Foretz Gacon
Virginie Razzano
Kristina Mladenovic
Nicolas Escude (captain)

Slovenia
Polona Hercog
Petra Rampre
Nastja Kolar
Katarina Srebotnik
Maja Matevzic (captain)

Switzerland v Belarus
Venue: Complexe Sportice des Iles

Switzerland
Stefanie Voegele
Amra Sadikovic
Timea Bacsinszky
Belinda Bencic
Heinz Guenthardt (captain)

Belarus
Olga Govortsova
Darya Kustova
Aliaksandra Sasnovich
Darya Lebesheva
Alexander Skrypko (captain)

Sweden v Great Britain
Venue: Borashallen

Sweden
Sofia Arvidsson
Johanna Larsson
Hilda Melander
Ellen Allgurin
Maria Strandlund Tomsvik (captain)

Great Britain
Elena Baltacha
Anne Keothavong
Heather Watson
Laura Robson
Judy Murray (captain)

Argentina v China, P.R.
Venue: Parque Roca

Argentina
Paula Ormaechea
Florencia Molinero
Maria Irigoyen
Mailen Auroux
Betina Fulco (captain)

China, P.R.
Wang Qiang
Zhou Yi-Miao
Liang Chen
Liu Wan-Ting
Fu Zhong (captain)

NA-GOAT
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Empress JaJa Interview confirming her participation

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/audio/jankovic-relishes-'historical-moment'.aspx

flareon
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
I wonder if serena will just play doubles :lol: or one rubber, I know the british team is the same, But I do not know whose playing doubles and singles.

NA-GOAT
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
it sounds like Lisicki will play for Germany and Sam will play for Australia :bounce:

Sammo
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Bitch please
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs21/300W/f/2007/307/1/7/Iron_Cat_by_Pusskyfly.jpg

Even Ana Jovanovic would be better nowadays than Jankovic :haha:

The Kaz
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Sam Stosur and the Brainless one will be lining up for Australia with Casey Dellacqua there as player 3... not sure about our fourth though.

Uranium
Apr 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm surprised by how little information has been gvien from the media about the teams so far since the the deadline is Wednesday.

NA-GOAT
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Petkovic will try to make her comeback @ Fed Cup :shrug:

Cp6uja
Apr 10th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Even Ana Jovanovic would be better nowadays than Jankovic :haha:I'm really curious how many seconds You thinking in average on this forum before You write something? Jankovic 2012 season so far is really pathetic - but what to say about all Russians if we know that Sharapova will not play! Kirilenko is only other Russian player ahead Jankovic in 2012 RACE, but Kirilenko on Clay is not same player like Kirilenko on HC, and she have 1-5 h2h vs JJ. Despite home crowd and sure point in doubles - Russia without Sharapova right now is not real favorite vs Serbia!

2012-RACE TOP100 (RUS and SRB):
2 Sharapova, Maria
10 Ivanovic, Ana
16 Kirilenko, Maria
20 Jankovic, Jelena
23 Makarova, Ekaterina
30 Kuznetsova, Svetlana
43 Zvonareva, Vera
46 Bratchikova, Nina
49 Panova, Alexandra
54 Petrova, Nadia
84 Savinykh, Valeria
89 Pavlyuchenkova, Anastasia
100 Jovanovski, Bojana

NA-GOAT
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Australia team - Stosur / Gadjosova / Dellacqua / Rogowska

stromatolite
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The Aussies will be hoping that the Germans are so spoiled for choice that they are incapable of making a rational selection, eventually opting for Barrois, Gronert, Beck, and Woerle :lol:

Invisible Fan
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Would Germany play Petkovic straight away in singles if she is fit?
It would seem like an unnecessary risk given the other players they have.

NA-GOAT
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
if Petko is playing Stuttgart a few days later anyway why not :shrug:

Invisible Fan
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
They have enough quality that there is no need to play someone who's been out all year.

sweetadri06
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Maybe Andrea wants the match practice.

Uranium
Apr 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
5 teams so far
Belgium: Kirsten Flipkens, Tamaryn Hendler, Alison Van Uytvanck, An-Sophie Mestach.
Spain: Silvia Soler-Espinosa, Lourdes Dominguez Lino, Nuria Llagostera Vives, and Arantxa Parra Santonja.
Australia: Samantha Stosur, Jarmila Gajdosova, Casey Dellacqua, and Olivia Rogowska.
Switzerland: Timea Bacsinszky, Stefanie Voegele, Amra Sadikovic, and Belinda Bencic.
Argentina: Paula Ormaechea, Florencia Molinero, Maria Irigoyen, and Mailen Auroux.

NA-GOAT
Apr 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
the Spanish team getting thrown to the wolves :tape:

Petronius
Apr 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Czech team announced today:

Kvitová & Šafářová in singles and Hlaváčková & Hradecká in doubles. Benešová refused to take part, as she wants to play Stuttgart qualies to increase her Olympic Games chances.

joeh37
Apr 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Benešová refused to take part, as she wants to play Stuttgart qualies to increase her Olympic Games chances.
To be fair Safarova current form > Benesova current form.
And why not utilise their ready made, slam winning, doubles team.
Had she gone she would only have been a hitting partner/dead rubber.

paul_masterton
Apr 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Sweden team is the same as they used for Group 1.

GB Team will be announced today but I'm sure it will be Baltacha, Keothavong, Watson and Robson. If Bally is still injured they might replace her with Moore who I think is pencilled in to travel as a cheering squad.

guichard
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
French team: S.Foretz-Gacon, K.Mladenovic, P.Parmentier & V.Razzano

guichard
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
JPN team to face BEL - @ayumi_morita, Kimiko Date-Krumm, Nara Kurumi, Rika Fujiwara

chingching
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
The Aussies will be hoping that the Germans are so spoiled for choice that they are incapable of making a rational selection, eventually opting for Barrois, Gronert, Beck, and Woerle :lol:

That team could almost win a rubber, given the Australian players form besides sammy. Annika or Kristina could both win

mindiab
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised by how little information has been gvien from the media about the teams so far since the the deadline is Wednesday.

they themselves don't want to advertise fed cup.it reflects how they treat fed cup..

klever58
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Slovakia: Cibulkova, Hantuchova, Rybarikova, Schmiedlova

guichard
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
#Petkovic has been nominated for German Fed Cup team together with Kerber, Goerges and Grönefeld

Welcome back Petko

Kəv.
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Serbia
Fed Cup ‏ @FedCup
Ana Ivanovic, @jelena_jankovic, @bojo_jovanovski, Aleksandra Krunic in SRB team to face RUS in sf #FedCup

Patrick345
They should just make this a one week event at the end of the year, instead of that Bali/Sofia crap. Half the teams are weak and half the players that are playing only do it for the mandatory Olympics qualification.

Kəv.
Sweden
@sofia_arvidsson, Hilda Melander, @EllenAllgurin + Johanna Larsson to represent SWE v GBR

Johnbert
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM
#Petkovic has been nominated for German Fed Cup team together with Kerber, Goerges and Grönefeld

Welcome back Petko

again no barthel :facepalm:

Martian Jeza
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Wow our Belgian Fed Cup Team is the weakest since a very very long time ! Don't remember having had such weak team... Flipkens the best ranked player in our team is even in a huge slump.

Patrick345
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
again no barthel :facepalm:

Well if Petkovic is nominated she needs to play. She is a far better claycourt player than Kerber. If she is not healthy enough to play, then halleluja for nominating her and effectively making Groenefeld the first back-up singles player.:worship:

stromatolite
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Really odd selecting Petkovic ahead of Barthel under the circumstances. I'm sure she'll be able to play if required, but it's hard to see that happening unless Julia or Angie are injured, or the reverse singles are a dead rubber. If it happened I'm sure she'd be grateful for the bit of match practice ahead of the Stuttgart WTA tournament, but the selectors have given the Aussies a bit of a lifeline here.

Uranium
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM
China: Qiang Wang (#221), Yi-Miao Zhou (#473), Chen Liang (#579), Wan-Ting Liu (#1172).

:facepalm::lol:

paul_masterton
Apr 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Team GB confirmed as Baltacha, Keothavong, Watson and Robson :yeah:

twinbridge
Apr 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
China: Qiang Wang (#221), Yi-Miao Zhou (#473), Chen Liang (#579), Wan-Ting Liu (#1172).

WTF...I can't believe my eyes. BUT it is REAL :mad::mad:

LegionArgentina
Apr 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM

Liang and Liu doubles ranking is what care the singles not that much,their doubles ranking are (187 and 160) more or less the same doubles ranking as Auroux and Irigoyen.

Uranium
Apr 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Slovenia: Polona Hercog, Petra Rampre, Nastja Kolar, and Katarina Srebotnik.

Russia: Kuznetsova, Kirilenko, Pavlyuchenkova, and Vesnina. Zvonareva out.

The official team releases of Italy, Ukraine, USA and Belarus remain.

QuestJon
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Well if Petkovic is nominated she needs to play. She is a far better claycourt player than Kerber. If she is not healthy enough to play, then halleluja for nominating her and effectively making Groenefeld the first back-up singles player.:worship:

Yeah

I always wonder about that Groenefeld nomination there.
If she would be a good doubles player, o.k.
But for a doubles only player her ranking is abysmal.
Their top players would be better in doubles playing on one leg
and with eyes shut.

But it's an all girls decision. -> lack of logic.

Hopefully no money is involved at least.

Vikapower
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:45 PM
It's hard to give any appropriate evaluation of Mona's skills on clay but in ITF she 26-20 as opposed to 63-27 on hard. She really doesn't have much references on clay but this certainly is not her most preferred surface, Andrea if healthy is the incontestable n°2 after Julia on clay but anyways it's just Australia so that wouldn't matter that much.

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
China's Team :facepalm:

chingching
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Liang and Liu doubles ranking is what care the singles not that much,their doubles ranking are (187 and 160) more or less the same doubles ranking as Auroux and Irigoyen.

ARE YOU FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE CTA ARE SOOOO STUPID!!!!

vswfan
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I don't understand why Peng and Zvonareva doesn't play Fed Cup. They both only played one tie in 4 years. which means they won't be qualified for Olympics...

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM
no Peng is qualified playing in 2012 and 2010

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Serena Williams
Christina McHale
Sloane Stephens
Liezel Huber
Mary Joe Fernandez (captain)

TheBoiledEgg
Belarus team.
Govortsova Kustova Sasnovich & Lebesheva

Ukraine team
Lesia Tsurenko
Elina Svitolina
Kichenok twins Nadiya & lyudmila

vswfan
no Peng is qualified playing in 2012 and 2010

Sorry I made mistake. Yes congrats to her

miffedmax
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Na-Mug:

I believe this is what you wanted done--I couldn't think of any other way to preserve the poll without bumping the one post to the bottom.

If I've messed it up, I apologize, I don't think I can undo it.

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM
China v Argentina - both are missing some of their top players ... it will be interesting to see how China deals with the pressure of playing on red clay in front of 14,000 fans ... for sure Argentina is the favorite on clay :sobbing:

France v Slovenia - France used to hold the record of playing in WGI ever since the start of Fed Cup ... now they are fighting to not play Zone Group ... shows how the French have fallen ... it is nice to see Rampre get nominated as people say she used to live in her car :hug:

Sweden v GB - this tie is supposed to be on EuroSport :spit: does Murray's Mum really have the magic or is she just lucky :tape:

USA beating up on Ukraine = :yawn:

Germany v Australia will be interesting as it is on Stosur's best surface she should win both her singles ... but AUS probably won't get any other singles wins so it could be down to doubles

Serbia v Russia ... really prefer Serbia to go through as Russia did not field their best team ... they think they can get by just rotating players ... and it will be nice to see Ana and Jelena be friends :oh:

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:37 PM
yes thanks Max :worship:

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
the most exciting thing about USA v UKR will be Serena playing Charades :oh:

Uranium
Apr 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I don't understand why Peng and Zvonareva doesn't play Fed Cup. They both only played one tie in 4 years. which means they won't be qualified for Olympics...
Vera also made herself available for this tie and the final last year, but withdrew from final with injury and maybe did for this too (she was one of the 5 Russians that Tarpischev said could play, but Vesnina got the spot instead of her).
the most exciting thing about USA v BLR will be Serena playing Charades :oh:

USA is playing Ukraine.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Just wanna see if Queen Petra is finally back to some decent form.

*Jool*
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I love Fed Cup so I will fllow closely all the results , but of course I'm more interested by France-Slovenia (cheering against my country , that is :p ) and Spain-Slovak R.
Good luck Polona, Kata, Arantxa, Nuria :hearts:

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
actually Tsurenko may be able to beat Stephens / McHale :devil:

NA-GOAT
Apr 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Russia v Serbia, Germany v Australia have the most top players involved and that is what people want to see :armed:

Cp6uja
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Russia vs Serbia preview:

Russia never in history lose tie at home on clay surface, and when they lose in november vs Czech Republic final, it ended 11 ties winning strike for Russia at home court. This is first ever FED CUP semifinal for Serbia in history, and Russia is dominant force in this competition in XXI century playing 5 finals in last 8 seasons! Also, Russia literally already leads 1-0 because in doubles any of 4 Serbian players is not ranked into TOP200, and only this season in doubles at mandatory events Sveta won AO, Kirilenko won Miami, Vesnina played in IW final and AO SF... even A-Pav have some very decent doubles results winning last week Charleston title! But even with all this facts I don't think that Russia is clean favorite and team Serbia is not underdog!

If we look at current rankings players is ranked in this order: Ivanovic(14), Jankovic(20), Kirilenko(21), A-Pav(22), Kuznetsova(27), Vesnina(78), Jovanovski(106), Krunic(193). If we looks at 2012 race order is: Ivanovic(10), Kirilenko(16), Jankovic(20), Kuznetsova(30), A-Pav(89), Jovanovski(100), Vesnina(113), Krunic(207). In both cases its clean advantage in Serbian favor because only two players can play in singles, so Ana-JJ looks much better right now than any Russian combination atm (in absence of Sharapova and Zvonareva). Surface factor is also in Ana-JJ favor because clay is maybe theirs best surface, but for all this Russians except Sveta this is career worst surface! Not only according to rankings, surface factor and current shape, but also h2h stats make Ana Ivanovic bold favorite in hers both matches, no matter who will be hers opponent (she is 6-2 vs Sveta, 4-2 vs MaKiri, 3-0 vs A-Pav, 2-0 vs Vesnina / 15-4 overall).

If Ana wins both singles as expected, and Russia take advantage in doubles, result of whole match depending of in-slump Jankovic. She needs to win at least one match and despite how is deep hers slump it's not mission impossible because all this Russians is in deep slump too - only exception is MaKiri which on other hand is 1-5 in h2h against Jankovic and in two matches on clay which they played so far she only once won more than two games in some set. A-Pav have perfect 3-0 h2h vs Jelena, but they never played on clay and A-Pav is in so deep slump this season (#89 in RACE) that she still not won any single set in 2012 vs TOP35 opponents (GS-seeds level players). JJ-Sveta (5-5 h2h) will be garanteed showdown, but that match will happen in theory only like last 4th in singles because like #3 ranked in this RUS team Sveta can't be named #1 (othervise Vesnina which is here only for doubles will be named #2 according to rules). Potential 1st day matches are: A.Pav-Ana / MaKiri-JJ or Sveta-Ana / MaKiri-JJ or Sveta-Ana / A.Pav-JJ (in bold is my prediction of Tarpischev choice). If Serbia or Russia wins both Saturdays matches this tie is 90% over already after that 1st day 2-0 lead, but if there be 1-1 tied after opening day - everything is possible.

madmax
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
wow, Russia could actually lose their tie without their two TOP 10 players...:eek:

Kəv.
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:59 AM
:tape: China's team.

Why does Germany only have 2 players on FC website?

cowsonice
Apr 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Spain vs. Slovakia seems most promising :drool:

flareon
Apr 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
What a team from china :)

Emiel Goelen
Apr 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Flipkens has withdrawn from the Belgian team, and is replaced by Ysaline Bonaventure. Team is now Hendler, Van Uytvanck, Bonaventure and Mestach.

:help:

paul_masterton
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
:rofl:
GB vs Swe is suddenly a high class tie with 4 top 100 players!

Mynarco
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
China :lol:

chingching
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
ukaraine is going to be really good in the future
Elina Svitolina, Kichenok sisters, lesia tsurenko and MARYNA ZANEVSKA (last 28 matches in a row and 41-3 from october last year!!!!)

rucolo
Apr 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
No Azarenka :o What is her excuse? :rolleyes:

Russia v Serbia, Germany v Australia have the most top players involved and that is what people want to see :armed:

No surprise. These are by far the most interesting ties :angel:

Fantasy Hero
Apr 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
how many games can lose Petra in two matches indoor, at home, against crappy italian players? :lol:

Uranium
Apr 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Russia-Serbia, Germany-Australia, and USA-Ukraine.

Ajde Serbia:cheer:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Flipkens has withdrawn from the Belgian team, and is replaced by Ysaline Bonaventure. Team is now Hendler, Van Uytvanck, Bonaventure and Mestach.

:help:

Great name. :)

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:29 AM
Russia Vs Serbia will have such delicious chokes.

serenafann
Apr 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Go USA!