PDA

View Full Version : Titanic - ITV/Global TV Series

KournikovaFan91
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Has anyone been watching this series.

I personally find it crap tbh, I'll go through all the issues I have with it. I've quite a few.

1 - Too many characters - for a 4 episode mini series they have WAY too many characters to keep up with, I actually keep forgetting who certain people are and what their story is tbh.

2 - Format - I find the way we get say 3 stories every episode too confusing and disjointed, if they had focused on only 3 stories (one an episode) and then a finale I think it would have worked better than it has.

3 - Character development - Well there is NONE, this goes back to their being too many characters in the first place, no wonder I have no idea about any of the people, this essentially means I don't care who lives or dies in the end.

4 - Realism - heck this seems more unrealistic than Cameron's film, the Irish wife and Eastern European guy's storyline is possibly the most ridiculous of all the storylines, this is probably because there has been no development of the "relationship" at all, a few glances and her turning up at the Anglican service is all we see of those two before they are making out on deck. Not to mention that murderer sub plot or whatever the story is with him.

5 - Production value - ok I get that the film was such an epic the series would never have a similar budget but really nothing about the sets gives me a WOW feeling, it just seems like some random ship tbh.

6 - Acting - Maria Doyle Kennedy is totally underutilized whereas we have to put up with other mediocre actors/actresses like the Lady's maid and the Butler who are average at best.

I'd like to know what other thought of it.

One storyline I liked was the one between Annie and the Italian waiter, probably since I'm a sucker for a love story :lol: Also Annie seems like a main character despite the idea of the show being that no character is really a main character, it seems she appears substantially each episode but we only get her story in episode 3.

I really hope Titanic: Blood and Steel will be better when it comes out soon because frankly ITV's Downton-at-Sea concept here doesn't work imo.

Londoner
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Agree with everything you say. I don't see the point of this series other than to cash in on the anniversary and Downton's ratings success. It adds nothing to the 2 films already made - and the fate of the Irish passengers was done much better in Cameron's film. I'd be interested to know the series' ratings. Surely most folks have seen the last film!

KournikovaFan91
Apr 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I think the ratings plunged after episode 1, dunno about how 3 did.

I wouldn't mind a TV series about it if it was executed better. It just seems ridiculous and despite striving to be more "real" than Cameron's film I think it actually seems more unrealistic.

I do give it some props for showing 2nd Class something not seen at all in the 1997 film. It always seems to be a forgotten class on the ship, people are always focused with the rich and the poor and the middle usually get left out.

Julian.
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
There would be a total of 4 episodes only right?

I watched the first 2 episodes and kinda bored with them :lol: Still downloading the 3rd episode.

ranfurly
Apr 10th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I could fart a better mini series than this shit

AdeyC
Apr 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
One storyline I liked was the one between Annie and the Italian waiter, probably since I'm a sucker for a love story :lol: Also Annie seems like a main character despite the idea of the show being that no character is really a main character, it seems she appears substantially each episode but we only get her story in episode 3.

She's going to be the new Dr Who companion.

It's an OK show, but doesn't really add anything new to what we've seen before

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Is it really that bad? I didn't watch a single ep, but thought Julian Fellowes wouldn't produce a flop like that

Julian.
Apr 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Well, I finally saw the 3rd episode and I think it's definitely the best one out of the 3 so far.

Sgt.Timmykinz
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
The show is utter dirge. Julian Fellowes' obsession with class completely cripples any chance this series could have had. I'm not surprised that its tanked in the ratings, I haven't met anyone who likes it!