PDA

View Full Version : Her biggest win

DennisFitz
Apr 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM
(hope I'm allowed to start a thread!)

For some of America's top teen age phenoms, going back to the 70s, 80s, and 90s, what were these stars biggest career match wins. By that I mean their most significant win, their signature match, the one that you think put them on the map or really made them great. If you can't limit yourself to one, name the top 3.

For these players, I say:

Chris Evert
def. Margaret Court 76,76 in Charlotte NC 1970. This catapulted Chris into world wide fame (such as it was at the time) by beating world #1, recent Grand Slammer Court. I also think it helped establish her as a steely competitor who would not be daunted by playing and beating older, more accomplished players.
def. Tracy Austin 46,61,61 in 1980 US Open SF. At the time, one of her most satisfying wins. And it was sweet revenge for losing the final the year before. Plus, the match demonstrated that Evert was clearly the better player.
def. Martina Navratilova 63,67,75 in French final 1985. This was of course late in her career, but epitome of her guile and determination to beat her foremost rival, the same player who drubbed her the year before.

Tracy Austin
she had none (kidding!)
def. Martina Navratilova 16,76,76 in 1981 US Open final. A match she had no business winning, but proved what happens when you never give up, believe in yourself, and keep going for your shots.

Pam Shriver
def. Martina Navratilova 76, 76 in 1978 US Open SF. No one saw this coming. It was on par with Evert's win over Court (same score, too) in that a relative unknown teenager shocks the reigning Wimbledon champ in the SF of a tournament.
def. Martina Navratilova 16,76,62 in US Open QF. This ended Martina's chance at a Grand Slam, and was a crushing defeat for Martina.
def. Steffi Graf 63,76 in VS Championships SF. Another win against a world #1. Pam had to play perfect tennis to beat Graf at that time.

Jennifer Capriati
def. Steffi Graf 36,63,64 in 1992 Olympics Final. The biggest win of the first half of her career.
def. Martina Hingis 64,63 in 2001 Australian Open Final. First major title win, ambushing world #1.

alfajeffster
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
(hope I'm allowed to start a thread!)

For some of America's top teen age phenoms, going back to the 70s, 80s, and 90s, what were these stars biggest career match wins. By that I mean their most significant win, their signature match, the one that you think put them on the map or really made them great. If you can't limit yourself to one, name the top 3.

For these players, I say:

Chris Evert
def. Margaret Court 76,76 in Charlotte NC 1970. This catapulted Chris into world wide fame (such as it was at the time) by beating world #1, recent Grand Slammer Court. I also think it helped establish her as a steely competitor who would not be daunted by playing and beating older, more accomplished players.
def. Tracy Austin 46,61,61 in 1980 US Open SF. At the time, one of her most satisfying wins. And it was sweet revenge for losing the final the year before. Plus, the match demonstrated that Evert was clearly the better player.
def. Martina Navratilova 63,67,75 in French final 1985. This was of course late in her career, but epitome of her guile and determination to beat her foremost rival, the same player who drubbed her the year before.

Tracy Austin
she had none (kidding!)
def. Martina Navratilova 16,76,76 in 1981 US Open final. A match she had no business winning, but proved what happens when you never give up, believe in yourself, and keep going for your shots.

Pam Shriver
def. Martina Navratilova 76, 76 in 1978 US Open SF. No one saw this coming. It was on par with Evert's win over Court (same score, too) in that a relative unknown teenager shocks the reigning Wimbledon champ in the SF of a tournament.
def. Martina Navratilova 16,76,62 in US Open QF. This ended Martina's chance at a Grand Slam, and was a crushing defeat for Martina.
def. Steffi Graf 63,76 in VS Championships SF. Another win against a world #1. Pam had to play perfect tennis to beat Graf at that time.

Jennifer Capriati
def. Steffi Graf 36,63,64 in 1992 Olympics Final. The biggest win of the first half of her career.
def. Martina Hingis 64,63 in 2001 Australian Open Final. First major title win, ambushing world #1.

With Chris Evert, I'd say defeating Mary Ann Eisel at the 1971 U.S. Open. Eisel was a top-ten player, and heavily favored to win, and almost did take control of the match, but Evert would have none of it, and just played her consistent game and allowed Mary Ann to self-destruct instead of put the match away. The is the match with the famous Ann Jones comment on an Evert drop shot- "she hits it as though she were throwing a rock at a snake":lol: I never get tired of hearing that- especially coming from the normally reserved Jones' mouth.

Tracy's has to be her 79 US Open win over Evert. No one really expected Chris to lose, and Austin moonballed her to death. I can't stand the tennis, but it was Austin's debut, no doubt.

Pam Shriver and Jennifer Capriati- I'll pass on both, as to be quite frank, don't think they're in the conversation with the first two.

Wimbledon9
Apr 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Is this only for american born players so not for Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles

alfajeffster
Apr 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Is this only for american born players so not for Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles

They're both now proud Americans, so we can count them on our side in the next world war...

Pat Bateman
Apr 8th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I would rate Capriati's win over Hingis in the 2002 Australian Open final (played under unbearable heatwave conditions) as her greatest ever triumph, and one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen. Capriati was down a set and 4-0 at one stage.

DennisFitz
Apr 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
For Austin, I think her 1978 VS Dallas QF win over Martina Navratillova was a big one. Not a major event, but the Slims were important tournaments back then. Austin had only been on tour for little more than a year, was just past her 15th birthday, and to beat Martina indoors was a big win. Navratilova was on a 37 match winning streak. Tracy stamped herself as a major league contender with that win. And she rarely lost to players outside the top 5 after that match.

For Andrea Jaeger, I say her 1980 Mahwah win over Tracy Austin, at the time world #1, was a major league breakthrough. Mahwah wasn't even a Tier I event, although that year was a tough draw. Jaeger had played the tour for @ 7 months. To stun world #1 Austin (after trailing 2-6,2-4) wad a remarkable win. this came during a period of @ 6 months when Andrea beat every top player except Evert. And in the same tournament, Hana Mandlikova finally broke through and beat top player. Hana's 3 set QF win over Martina was another huge breakthrough for a talented teen, and had ripple effects for months to come on the women's tour.

Hana had been knocking on the door of the upper echelons for months. She often extended top players to 3 set matches, only to falter at the end. She reached the semis of the French only to lose to Evert in 3. Same thing in the R16 at Wimbledon losing to Goolagong. Beating Martina, and then Andrea in the final, enabled Hana to really declare herself. And Hana repeated the win over Martina at Flushing Meadows a week later. The following month, after losing to Evert in 3 sets in the US Open final, Hana beat Chris for the first time. Then she won her first major at the Australian. So that Mahwah tournament was really the start of something special for 2 talented teens.