PDA

View Full Version : Going Back to College...

moby
Apr 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I have a friend who dropped out of college after freshman year due to financial problems and uninspiring grades. He's in his early 30s now and considering going back to college for practical reasons. I'm wondering what kind of opportunities are out there for adult learners that won't break the bank. (Said friend is not doing so hot financially, and is mainly doing low level jobs since the poor economy forced him out of his independent contractor job.)

hablo
Apr 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I'm assuming he lives in the U.S.A. since you're using the term "freshman"?

PhilePhile
Apr 8th, 2012, 02:51 AM
There is no such thing as an "adult learner" ... don't really understand the "stigma".

Good place to start researching...

Avoid 5 Assumptions About College Financial Aid (http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2012/04/04/avoid-5-assumptions-about-college-financial-aid#comments) (usnews.com)

moby
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Yes, this is in America.

Darop.
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'ver never really understood adults getting/getting back into education, unless they've had previous relevant work experience in the field they're studying, or unless they're doing it just for the pleasure. The job market is extremely competitive today and age plays a big factor.

moby
Apr 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'ver never really understood adults getting/getting back into education, unless they've had previous relevant work experience in the field they're studying, or unless they're doing it just for the pleasure. The job market is extremely competitive today and age plays a big factor.
Certification also pays a big role though. Without a degree, there is a lot you cannot do.

Charlatan
Apr 8th, 2012, 09:48 PM
well, there are always non-degree programs for adults. Especially if you are not sure about being a full time learner

Rocketta
Apr 9th, 2012, 01:36 AM
as stated earlier cost wise he should start with a community college for his core courses/first two years it's much cheaper and in most states something that someone can pay without financial aid. Then he can finish up at a 4 year school.... best bet is if he can find an employer that pays tuition assistance or work on a college campus where he could take a class free every semester.

Kirt12255
Apr 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I think it depends on your friends situation. If he wants to go back to college purely due to financial reasons then I would think it is going to be a tough slug. What inspires him? What are the practical reasons? The big issue with being a 'mature aged student' (as we are called here in Australia) are life commitments (kids, mortgages, car repayments etc). I am 35 and have been a full time uni student since the beginning of 2009 and I'll be finished at the end of next year.
Having said that I began with zero commitments at the start of my course, all my fees are borrowed under the HECS scheme and I live off scholarships and Austudy (the Aus govt give me $290 a week to study). I really have no clue what the situation is like for an adult wanting to educate themselves over there in the states.
Over half the students in my cohort are over 25, but that has to do with the field (social work), which is a reply to a post above questioning adult learners, there are many fields where life experience is viewed as a bonus. Anyhow I'll stop crapping on....simply it is the best decision I have ever made. Don't get me wrong, I questioned the decision many times, but if he can tough it out...it is well worth it!! ;)
Regardless of what he decides, I really hope things turn out ok for him. Seems he has a good head on his shoulders if he is weighing up other options. ;)

Nicolás89
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Certification also pays a big role though. Without a degree, there is a lot you cannot do.

Yea that & with more qualifications you are in a position where you can demand better payment.