PDA

View Full Version : Nelly Furtado - The Spirit Indestructible (IN STORES EVERYWHERE NOW!)

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
She's finally back. :bounce: It's been so long!!

First single is called Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) and will be out April 17th.

Single cover:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QBNxCJxdL.jpg

She's been out shooting the video:
http://cdn.thatgrapejuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/article-0-127C37E6000005DC-651_468x659.jpg
http://cdn.thatgrapejuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/article-0-127C4023000005DC-86_224x657.jpg

Weird single title, but knowing Nelly, her songs with the weirdest titles end up being the best (*cough* Promiscuous).
In 2006 Nelly was like the HOTTEST FEMALE IN THE BUSINESS, so it's been 6 years since her last English album. Will her new album resurrect her again?

IM SO READY FOR THIS. Loose was one of the best albums in that period of time.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I like her singles. Very refreshing.:)

Number19
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Damn! Those eyes.

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
A lot of the tracks are apparently produced by Darkchild.

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
NELLY FURTADO STANDS TALL ON SET OF ‘BIG HOOPS’ VIDEO

Nelly Furtado is making a BIG comeback! The Grammy-winning songstress teetered on stilts while shooting the super-sized video for “Big Hoops (Bigger the Better)” in downtown Los Angeles on Thursday (April 5). The song, produced by Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, is the lead single off her first English album in six years, The Spirit Indestructible, due June 19.

“The higher the better!” tweeted Nelly as she wobbled her way down the sidewalk while onlookers gazed up.

World champion hoop dancer Tony Duncan collaborated with her on what’s sure to be a visual spectacle.

http://cdn.rap-up.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/nelly-big-hoops-2.jpg

Uranium
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
This made me listen to her old stuff....Say it right:hearts:

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
This made me listen to her old stuff....Say it right:hearts:
SUCH a masterpiece, that song.

Like I said in OP, her entire Loose album was WOW. I am STILL hooked on it 6 years after it came out.

Julian.
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
OMG YES! It's been a long time :cheer:

Love her songs back then when I was in first year of uni! (Promiscuous, Say it Right, etc.)

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Maneater :oh:

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
According to Wikipedia:

"Whoa, Nelly!" sold 6M copies worldwide.
"Folklore" sold 1.4M compies worldwide.
"Loose" sold 8+M copies worldwide. :worship:

Can't find numbers for Mi Plan and her Greatest Hits album.

Maddox
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm so glad that Nelly is back. :yeah:

Hope the album is good

Lulu.
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Glad she's back and I'm looking forward to this album. Love the title.

Maddox
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Folkore was my favourite album of hers, hope this new one has elements of it

pov
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
:yeah: I'm Like a Bird and Say It Right are worlds apart in just about every respect - except that I like both. Not many artists can successfully shift gears so dramatically

Richie's
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
She's one of my favs :woohoo:

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:42 AM
WTH would "Big Hoops" be about? Earrings? :unsure:

Mary Cherry.
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I hope Timbaland had nothing to do with this.

dynamoRockstarr
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:12 AM
SUCH a masterpiece, that song.

Like I said in OP, her entire Loose album was WOW. I am STILL hooked on it 6 years after it came out.

Me too!!!

dynamoRockstarr
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:14 AM
:yeah: I'm Like a Bird and Say It Right are worlds apart in just about every respect - except that I like both. Not many artists can successfully shift gears so dramatically

Exactly! So versatile.

ArturoAce.
Apr 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Curious to see what her new "sound" is like...
"Try" is my favorite song of hers :rocker2:

The Witch-king
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Folkore was my favourite album of hers, hope this new one has elements of it
Me too :inlove:. I hope it's funky and fresh, though. I like that she doesn't retread old styles.

Vuvurenka
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've been waiting for her new album since like forever. I was so hooked onto Loose, but i preferred her non singles tracks except for All Good Things.

But Try has to be my all time favorite song by her.

Break My Rapture
Apr 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I hope Timbaland had nothing to do with this.
Judging by reports and Nelly's TSI videos on YouTube, his name hasn't really surfaced in relation to this album. So I would think not. :)
Curious to see what her new "sound" is like...
"Try" is my favorite song of hers :rocker2:
Try is a gorgeous ballad.

Break My Rapture
Apr 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
@NellyFurtado
Stay tuned for next week- music snippets!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0jmrzYuX51qzbagvo2_500.gif

Break My Rapture
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM
P0L4X00ycBc

This woman has created yet another flawless song. :tears: Sure-fire smash.

delicatecutter
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
:hearts:

new-york
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Swag. :hearts:

I cannot wait.

pov
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Hmmm . .not really liking that snippet. It sounds like much of what's clogging up the charts. Still it's just the intro so I'll keep hoping.

pov
Apr 10th, 2012, 05:03 AM
HLkB4voDrCE
:yeah:

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hmmm . .not really liking that snippet. It sounds like much of what's clogging up the charts. Still it's just the intro so I'll keep hoping.
In TF language, that means it's amazing and a sure-fire smash :lol:.

Uranium
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
That snippet didn't do much for me:lol:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
finally she's back :hearts: Mi Plan was good but i need another album like Loose :drool:

Serenus Christ
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
the snippet slayed my SPIRIT.

Break My Rapture
Apr 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Lolwhut? It sounded fresh as hell to me. :lol:
the snippet slayed my SPIRIT.
I know right!

Mary Cherry.
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
My word.

Bring the hippy Nelly back.

Serenus Christ
Apr 14th, 2012, 01:55 PM
gurls you're a tad delayed.. i thought they'd be a page already discussing this new 1 min snippet

http://soundcloud.com/jeff1317/big-hoops-1min

there are alot of haters who are critiquing with no credentials and reading with no resume, because this snippet is SLAYING my very SPIRIT.

Break My Rapture
Apr 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I was just about to post this. :p

Summer smash here we come.

Serenus Christ
Apr 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I was just about to post this. :p

Summer smash here we come.

:hysteric: I need this to leak within 12 hours so I can put it in the playlist I'm making for work..

pov
Apr 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
there are alot of haters who are critiquing with no credentials and reading with no resume, because this snippet is SLAYING my very SPIRIT.
Interesting. So if you like an artist but don't like what you've heard of their upcoming release, you're a hater? Pls, the bonus that you offer is that you think "slaying my spirit" means a positive reaction to something? :haha:

Uranium
Apr 14th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Seriously, I want it to be the 17th already.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
The original clip didn't really make me want to listen to more of it.

That second clip confirms it. I will be avoiding this song like the plague.

delicatecutter
Apr 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Robyn. :hysteric:

Break My Rapture
Apr 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I do admit though that the vocals during the verses could have been better. I need to hear this in full.

debopero
Apr 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a Rihanna song :shrug: .

Break My Rapture
Apr 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bPJFfYgZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From Amazon. This better not be the actual album cover....

Serenus Christ
Apr 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
big hoops are better (http://soundcloud.com/np745/nelly-furtado-big-hoops-bigger)

:hatoff: what kind of masterpiece..

eck
Apr 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Well, it definitely doesn't sound like the 1 min snippet that I heard. That is a good thing.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a Rihanna reject to me.:o

FORZA SARITA
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
expected something better :o

Break My Rapture
Apr 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
EARGASM. :hearts: Love it!

Mary Cherry.
Apr 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Well, it definitely doesn't sound like the 1 min snippet that I heard. That is a good thing.

This, although it still sounds like Rihanna & Nicki Minaj went to dinner and were fed some undercooked chicken and this is what they sicked up.

volta
Apr 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM
full version low quality radio rip

tNN21m-YS-U

LOVE IT

Tennisfan06
Apr 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Nelly :hearts:
I really like her. Loose was so great album, still listen to these songs sometimes and these are still quite a lot played by the different radio stations here. Can't wait for the new songs! :)

tucker1989
Apr 16th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I really want to like it, but I just can't. This isn't going to be a hit for her.

Tennisation
Apr 16th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Why she tryna be Rihanna? :help:

Joana
Apr 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Is she still singing about what a huge slut she is?

Mixal
Apr 16th, 2012, 11:39 PM
:facepalm:

pierce85
Apr 17th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I love her but this is mediocre

Uranium
Apr 17th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I love her but this is mediocre

It is. Still like it though. Hopefully video and hq make me like it more.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
i'm starting to like it :lol:

Lulu.
Apr 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'm feelin it. Instant love. :D

Uranium
Apr 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I'm in fucking love with it right now. It is a grower.

M.P
Apr 17th, 2012, 06:41 PM
it is awesome!

Break My Rapture
Apr 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Those comparing her to Rihanna: Nelly trumps her in the talent department, both singing and song)writing. Rihanna could/would never have a song called Big Hoops (Bigger the Better). Plus Nelly has been around since friggin' 2000 so she was relevant before Rihanna. Please stop with these comparisons, this song is out of Rihanna's league.

Gaining slowly on iTunes all around the world with zero promo (there's not even a banner up on iTunes :tape:) after a break of three years, #154 on US iTunes now.

Richie's
Apr 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm a true Nelly's fan but this song is just :tape:
It sounds so bad to me... I can't believe how low quality (for my standars) a brilliant artist can reach...

From all the greatest hits ,aka Say it right to this sh*t.

Break My Rapture
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Desetuede, the song is VERY Rihanna, even the way she sangs is Rihanna-esque.
No. Just no. Nelly has tended to sound fairly nasal at times since the start of her career which was 2000, long before Rihanna got relevant. If anything, it's Rihanna who sings Nelly-esque.

Nelly is known for her versatility and her ability to adapt to changing trends doesn't mean Rihanna is a greater talent
I never said that? Dear god that'd be an insult to Nelly.

jNbLcLlnNc0

Like I said before, this song is out of Rihanna's league. It's heavenly in HQ.

new-york
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM
To me, this song and the singing are very Nelly. :confused:

delicatecutter
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Very Nelly. Rihanna has no artistic control in anything she releases. She's just a puppet for her producers/songwriters. I would never give Rihanna credit for anything.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
To me, this song and the singing are very Nelly. :confused:

i guess you never listened Loose then :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
This song is peak urban Nelly. Loose was filled with masterful urban Nelly creations.

Also:
Hey hey hey, what's the scenario (A Tribe Called Quest)
Them boys keep passin' me by (Pharcyde)
I said, no diggity, no doubt (Blackstreet)
I-I-I told you I was fly (Sugar Ray)
Yeah he and all of this friends
They, they got their head like hi-five (Hi-Five)
I don't want to talk about sex (Salt-n-Pepa)
Wanna express myself tonight (Madonna)

That boy gonna feel my poison (Bel Biv DeVoe)
I know he can't stand the rain (Ann Peebles)
Now you wanna be down with your baby (Brandy)
Back and forth, back and forth (Aaliyah)
Back, back, back and forth
You got my rump rump shaking (Wreckx-n-Effect)
I'm another bad creation (Another Bad Creation)
All real and I never have to fake it, fake it
You know I gotta move quick and I gotta move slow
Cause there ain't no end in the road (Boyz II Men)

:worship: Nearly every lyric is a reference to a song Nelly liked back in the day/grew up with. Rihanna could NEVER.

Break My Rapture
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Well then you should phrase whatever you were trying to say better, because it was hardly comprehendable.

Again, Nelly was here before Rihanna. Rihanna is nothing but a footnote compared to Nelly. The beat and the melodies are what Nelly is all about: creativity and versatility. I don't hear Rihanna in it at all, because this song is original unlike anything Rih has put out recently.

Now, back to admiring how batshit crazy good this song is.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Why does every argument on TF have to come down to "relevance" :hysteric:

Break My Rapture
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Wow! :lol:

A footnote in what sense? When was Nelly's last number one single? How did her last album do?:confused: The way you talk you'd think Nelly's been the dominant pop artist of the last 5 years or something
Nelly's entire Loose era (her previous English and overall only 3rd album) was bigger than every era Rihanna has put out. 10M copies sold worldwide, Promiscuous slayed worldwide, SIR slayed worldwide, Maneater and All Good Things slayed in Europe. Loose sold 219k in its opening week (better than any of the like 6 or 7 albums Rihannas has put out in her entire career) and thus reached the #1 spot on Billboard 200, which Rihanna has failed to do as of yet despite her releasing an album every year.

new-york
Apr 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM

<_<

Oh, and yeah, Nelly is always Noselly. But Noselly slays.:worship:

:cool:.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
papa you talk like after Loose she released 2146532457 albums :lol:
she released just a spanish album which wasn't a flop and a greatest hits because her label forced her :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Do you have any statistics that aren't from over half a decade ago?

For goodness sake Destitute Nelly's had more flop albums than hits. Unlike Rihanna she's also not one of the biggest music stars in the world right now due to the failure of her more recent releases. I'm her biggest fan and I know and admit this.

It's not unexpected that she's copying one of the more successful artists out there right now to find some more commercial success. It's a smart move and considering that she's (Nelly) one of the more malleable acts out there I think she can pull it off as something 'original' to most of the public. She's certainly fooled you. Really I don't know why you're taking all of this so personally :help:
The 10M statistic was one I read about a week ago.

Nelly has had one album, Folklore, that sold considerably less than the others. It only sold 1.4M worldwide, because Dreamworks Records, her label at the time, was broke and about to tap out and thus didn't even try to promote it. I can't find total sales numbers for Mi Plan but it won her a Latin Grammy award and had a score of 71/100 on Metacritic, which is really good. Nielsen SoundScan said it was the highest selling Latin pop album in 2009. Nelly herself (co-)wrote and produced most of the songs on this album. There is no failure here.

She is not copying Rihanna, Big Hoops is being largely rated as original and a different sound than everything that is out there right now. Which is true, because if she was copying Rihanna, Big Hoops would sound ordinary and generic. And that is totally not the case. 'Some more commercial success'? Nelly has found more commercial success than Rihanna has with two of her English albums (Whoa, Nelly! and Loose), even though she had to start from scratch all over again when the Loose era began because of the time she was away from the music scene. In that way, it's very much comparable to TSI right now, Nelly basically has to start all over again.

Mary Cherry.
Apr 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I hate stan wars on TF. All these album sales, Grammy awards, critic reviews, etc. can't tell someone what their own opinion is.

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Oh and Big Hoops will have no less than three different music videos.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CZLGf5svDkU/T4_TFDzwN2I/AAAAAAAAHH4/s9nKJIh3CR4/s1600/vid2.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PyOK3gUBEn8/T4_TFKJAK_I/AAAAAAAAHIE/rUBycUj1LhE/s1600/vid1.JPG

Nelly is such an amazing artist, three different videos for one song is pretty special.

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I hate stan wars on TF. All these album sales, Grammy awards, critic reviews, etc. can't tell someone what their own opinion is.
I merely used all those stats to prove how stupid papa-action's statement was regarding Nelly's recent musical releases being flops.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM
omg 3 videos are really needed?:lol:
oh not surprising at all, she released a different version of all good things for every country some years ago :lol.

pov
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Big Hoops is being largely rated as original and a different sound than everything that is out there right now. Which is true, because if she was copying Rihanna, Big Hoops would sound ordinary and generic. And that is totally not the case.
Whoa!! Seriously? I can only guess that 90% of the music you know is the pop charts. Based on the snippet - anyone who thinks that Big Hoops is an original and/or different sound, could really stand to expand their sound-space.

Edit: I just listened to the track. So . . .yeah anyone who thinks that Big Hoops is an original and/or different sound, needs to get out some. Formulaic. To me, a disappointment. I expect this kinda stuff from the Rihannas. No wonder they'll make 3 vids. They gotta do something to hopefully engage people who value original creativity.

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Whoa!! Seriously? I can only guess that 90% of the music you know is the pop charts. Based on the snippet - anyone thinks that Big Hoops is an original and/or different sound, could really stand to expand their sound-space.
Original and fresh compared to the singles that are enjoying a lot of success right now.

delicatecutter
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Original and fresh compared to the singles that are enjoying a lot of success right now.

Which is why it might flop. :hysteric:

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Which is why it might flop. :hysteric:
It's not doing well on iTunes because of the lack of promo. :shrug: I can't believe her team is being so lazy about this project, they need to make people aware of her again because of that long hiatus. A simple banner on iTunes would do so much for the song's sales alone. This song is good enough to blow up in the same way Promiscuous did (since that started off extremely slow as well but ended up smashing).

pov
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original means just that. It doesn't mean "maybe slightly different to current chart tracks". Which it isn't anyway. No more so than most songs differ top each other.

Here's the thing - for those who like the track - cool. But know it for what it is. Don't try to make it out to be ground-breaking stuff when it's just another reworking of current pop formulas.

The fact that most posters who like it want it to be big on the charts says a lot.

Break My Rapture
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Original means just that. It doesn't mean "maybe slightly different to current chart tracks". Which it isn't anyway. No more so than most songs differ top each other.

Here's the thing - for those who like the track - cool. But know it for what it is. Don't try to make it out to be ground-breaking stuff when it's just another reworking of current pop formulas.
Nelly Furtado has never gone with the current trends and she has NOT done that with this song either. I stand by what I said, Big Hoops does NOT sound like the other songs having a lot of success right now. And I'm not trying to say it's ground-breaking, I'm just saying I really like it.

delicatecutter
Apr 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Little girl, just because I'm not deaf/in denial doesn't mean I'm not a Nelly Furtado fan.

I can't with you Loose-era fans that think that album and this new track are epic groundbreaking musical masterpieces :help:. I guess you are too young to remember but when that album was released it was hardly original or a "different sound than everything that is out there". It was basically the female version of the sound already established on Justin Timberlake's two albums. Nelly had a relatively unique sound with her debut and Folklore wasn't what contemporary pop music was about when it was released but she totally sold out for commercial success with her worst album Loose.

And have you not been reading this thread? A number of comments in this thread have explicitly stated how ordinary and generic the song sounds. You're obviously in the minority in the view that the song that doesn't sound like a Rihanna song :lol:. Maybe there's something wrong with YOU?

Except Loose came out before Justin's second album. The similarity has a lot to do with the fact that they used the same producers so of course the sound is going to be similar.

Beat
Apr 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM

thank you! it's so annyoing when people try to "prove" something (arguing with album sales, awards etc. as you point out) when it's about art.

Beat
Apr 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
What happened to

nothing happened to that, why? that's not a contradiciton at all. what i meant in the madonna thread was: it should be possible to point out that an album or an artist is selling disappointingly without the fans screaming bloody murder. it has nothing to do with the artistic merits whatsoever, it's a completely separate discussion. i never said MDNA was crap because it didn't sell that well, now did I? and that's exactly what the so-called stans or their opposites do ("X is crap because she only sold so and so many copies of her latest album." "Y is fantastic because at age 22 he already won 34 grammys."). get it now?

Break My Rapture
Apr 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Little girl, just because I'm not deaf/in denial doesn't mean I'm not a Nelly Furtado fan.

I can't with you Loose-era fans that think that album and this new track are epic groundbreaking musical masterpieces :help:. I guess you are too young to remember but when that album was released it was hardly original or a "different sound than everything that is out there". It was basically the female version of the sound already established on Justin Timberlake's two albums. Nelly had a relatively unique sound with her debut and Folklore wasn't what contemporary pop music was about when it was released but she totally sold out for commercial success with her worst album Loose.

And have you not been reading this thread? A number of comments in this thread have explicitly stated how ordinary and generic the song sounds. You're obviously in the minority in the view that the song that doesn't sound like a Rihanna song :lol:. Maybe there's something wrong with YOU?
You're totally missing the point. I even said a couple of posts ago that I don't think this is ground-breaking. I'm not too young to remember because I own all three of her English albums and the more urban-esque sound of Loose (urban does NOT equal selling out BTW, she merely measured herself a more sexy image because of the Maneater and Promiscuous videos) was fairly fresh compared to the other songs that were ruling the charts during for example Prosmiscuous' run. Songs such as I'm Like A Bird are a lot more generic than most of the stuff on Loose TBH.

And yeah there have been other people who said this sounded more like Rihanna, and that doesn't change the fact that I still think it's bullshit. No matter who says it.

Since you're having trouble making statements without ripping them out of context (claiming I was making Nelly out to be ground-breaking when I said she wasn't just a couple of posts ago says more than enough), we should stop here. Well I certainly am over with this discussion.

new-york
Apr 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Still lovin' it! Can't wait for the vids! :banana:

Break My Rapture
Apr 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM
5c5p0vcf50A

dynamoRockstarr
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Lovin Big Hoops.

Furtado is so versatile with her music.

dynamoRockstarr
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
This song is peak urban Nelly. Loose was filled with masterful urban Nelly creations.

Also:
Hey hey hey, what's the scenario (A Tribe Called Quest)
Them boys keep passin' me by (Pharcyde)
I said, no diggity, no doubt (Blackstreet)
I-I-I told you I was fly (Sugar Ray)
Yeah he and all of this friends
They, they got their head like hi-five (Hi-Five)
I don't want to talk about sex (Salt-n-Pepa)
Wanna express myself tonight (Madonna)

That boy gonna feel my poison (Bel Biv DeVoe)
I know he can't stand the rain (Ann Peebles)
Now you wanna be down with your baby (Brandy)
Back and forth, back and forth (Aaliyah)
Back, back, back and forth
You got my rump rump shaking (Wreckx-n-Effect)
I'm another bad creation (Another Bad Creation)
All real and I never have to fake it, fake it
You know I gotta move quick and I gotta move slow
Cause there ain't no end in the road (Boyz II Men)

:worship: Nearly every lyric is a reference to a song Nelly liked back in the day/grew up with. Rihanna could NEVER.

Those songs/artist...wayyy before me :lol: That was cool of her to do that.
Good Job :yeah:

Break My Rapture
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Another snippet of a new song:
zSW8pPCDr5M

Behind The Scenes video of Big Hoops:
1BlXW67oMiE

Nelly also tweeted something about the Billboard Music Awards so hopefully she's performing.

FORZA SARITA
Apr 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
she's waiting Jesus to come on earth to release the video?:lol:

The 2nd Law
Apr 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I had forgotten just how attractive I find Nelly! Perfect woman :hearts:

Break My Rapture
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Aaaand another snippet of a new song. This time collab ft Nas:

qjrLexJRG4k

:worship: More awesome music.

Ellen Dawson
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:52 PM
No. Just no. Nelly has tended to sound fairly nasal at times since the start of her career which was 2000, long before Rihanna got relevant. If anything, it's Rihanna who sings Nelly-esque.

I never said that? Dear god that'd be an insult to Nelly.

jNbLcLlnNc0

Like I said before, this song is out of Rihanna's league. It's heavenly in HQ.

Heard the buzz but didn't actually listen to the song 'til now (thanks). Good to see Promiscuous Girl returning to what made her money. Darkchild takes over for Timbaland. Nice. :)

Break My Rapture
May 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img738/8302/bg1eh.jpg

Deluxe edition album cover coming soon...

Break My Rapture
May 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img735/4901/19926901.jpg

Invisible Fan
May 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I had forgotten just how attractive I find Nelly! Perfect woman :hearts:

True :D

new-york
May 4th, 2012, 03:20 AM
The vid is out. No HQ link I found. Yet.

Break My Rapture
May 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Here's a good LQ version of the music video:

u-6MU_oLj80

I think it's epic.

Break My Rapture
May 8th, 2012, 04:53 PM
qjvXmpOTtdQ

It has cracked the top 50 in US airplay and Nelly is set to perform at the Billboard Music Awards on the 20th. :cheer:

Break My Rapture
May 15th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Big Hoops cracked top 40 in US radio today.

puz4vGMc4lk&

The title track will be the next single. Oh and the album has been pushed back to September, sadly.

Break My Rapture
Jun 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The US is resenting Big Hoops, but it's doing well on UK iTunes. :D The remixes EP available there contains a B-side: Something ft. Nas.

xnHt1otuQZE

Hot song. :hearts: But not suited for a single release. The next single will be Spirit Indestructible, the title track (except for the US, Nelly said they may get a different summer single).

BartoliBabes
Jun 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The US is resenting Big Hoops, but it's doing well on UK iTunes. :D The remixes EP available there contains a B-side: Something ft. Nas.

xnHt1otuQZE

Hot song. :hearts: But not suited for a single release. The next single will be Spirit Indestructible, the title track (except for the US, Nelly said they may get a different summer single).

i bought the Big Hoops EP... i love Big Hoops and Something:hearts:
#16 on top songs on itunes UK at the minute
i'm a huge Nelly fan, have all her albums and can't wait for this one
i like the sound so far:drool:
i have requested Big Hoops religiously for the last month in nightclubs:lol:

Queenpova
Jun 7th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Big hoops gives me life.

But she's over.

Invisible Fan
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM
i bought the Big Hoops EP... i love Big Hoops and Something:hearts:
#16 on top songs on itunes UK at the minute
i'm a huge Nelly fan, have all her albums and can't wait for this one
i like the sound so far:drool:
i have requested Big Hoops religiously for the last month in nightclubs:lol:

I love her too - I even bought the greatest hits for a handful of new songs. I also think Nas is one of the best rappers of all time so it's a great pairing as far as I'm concerned.

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Nelly shot the music video for the 2nd single "Spirit Indestructible" a couple of days ago. Someone on the team tweeted that the song is very Nelly, as in great composition and very catchy. It's supposed to be a dance song.

Uranium
Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Pushed back release date:fiery:

Break My Rapture
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
vAoExlNBRMs

I can't at how good this is...this album is going to be absolutely flawless. If this song doesn't do well on the charts, then nothing else from this album probably will. It's so catchy yet really creative.

ArturoAce.
Jul 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
So I just came across the lyric video for Spirit Indestructible-----SUCH A GOOD SONG! :rocker2: non-stop replay

Break My Rapture
Jul 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM
gzSyM6T5hCk

:)

The US might get Parking Lot as second single.

ArturoAce.
Jul 6th, 2012, 11:15 PM
literally can't stop listening...when the beat comes in *dead* :hearts:

Steadyniacki
Jul 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
ej3SmDScjjY

Official music video

LOVE IT!!! :hearts:

Dominating with her first 2 singles :hearts:
Hope this gets the chart success it deserves.

Uranium
Jul 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
That beat:inlove:

Steadyniacki
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
She realeases it in August, can't wait :D

Break My Rapture
Aug 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Those who are in the US can listen to this live performance of Parking Lot:

m2s1_Y1BOxs

Pretty much no nasal vocals on this one. Anyway Interscope is completely leaving Nelly in the dust with this project. Still no news on 2nd US single, and the SI release dates in Europe are all over the place.

Break My Rapture
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
The album is now available for pre-order in most big markets like Germany and Australia! Should be available for pre-order in the US starting next week. :cheer:

GO BUY AND SPREAD THE WORD. :hi5:

Petkorazzi
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM
She used to be my favourite for years but I haven't liked any sing from her in years :crying2: Will check the album out later and hopefully like smething.

Break My Rapture
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Snippets of the entire album out on Amazon now! :bounce:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spirit-Indestructible-digital-booklet/dp/B0096YCZKY/ref=sr_1_17?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1347001413&sr=1-17&keywords=Nelly+Furtado

Bucket List, Miracles, Hold Up, Believers,...:hearts: Waiting For The Night sounds like a hit.

A5CmnMyHtU8

BartoliBabes
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Snippets of the entire album out on Amazon now! :bounce:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spirit-Indestructible-digital-booklet/dp/B0096YCZKY/ref=sr_1_17?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1347001413&sr=1-17&keywords=Nelly+Furtado

Bucket List, Miracles, Hold Up, Believers,...:hearts: Waiting For The Night sounds like a hit.

A5CmnMyHtU8

omgggg these snippets are amazing:worship:
sooooo Nelly:lol:
sounds like a pop masterpiece:eek:

Break My Rapture
Sep 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Standard edition of the album has leaked!
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/78343596/file.html

Bucket List, Waiting For The Night and Miracles are my favorite songs so far of the tracks we haven't heard yet.

BartoliBabes
Sep 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Standard edition of the album has leaked!
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/78343596/file.html

Bucket List, Waiting For The Night and Miracles are my favorite songs so far of the tracks we haven't heard yet.

*downloading*:bounce:

i've my deluxe copy pre-ordered;)

Break My Rapture
Sep 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm going to buy the deluxe album on Friday as it has like 10 more songs. :hearts: If they are of the same quality as the last seven tracks on the standard edition, then WOW. This is already one of the best albums in recent years IMO.

BartoliBabes
Sep 12th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I'm going to buy the deluxe album on Friday as it has like 10 more songs. :hearts: If they are of the same quality as the last seven tracks on the standard edition, then WOW. This is already one of the best albums in recent years IMO.

oh nelly what are u trying to DO HEREEEE, i'm scared to listen:eek::eek::eek:

BartoliBabes
Sep 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
what a refreshing listen, life giving!!!!!!!:eek::sad: it really does feel like a combo of her first 3 albums...it's quirky, original, fresh:worship: so many influences and instruments on 1 album, a bit of an eclectic mess - but isn't that soooo Nelly Furtado:lol: pop, hip-hop, rnb, rock, middle-eastern, electronic, dance... and even a reggae track on the deluxe version which i can't wait to hear!!!! (Don't Leave Me)
i loved all the tracks, High Life (she wrote/sang this in a very quirky style and the chorus is catchy and fun, even the raps by Ace Primo don't seem out of place:hearts:), Bucket List (i thought this was so sing-along and i know i'll be singing along when i learn the words:D), The Most Beautiful Thing (i described this one like an ice cold breeze:drool:), Waiting For The Night (a far from generic up-tempo:lick:), Miracles (Timbaland flavour with that middle eastern influence:worship:), Circles (the verses especially are very Woah Nelly imo:drool:), Enemy (i thought this was emotional and epic sounding:eek:), Believers (drum powered pop/rock anthem, i liked it:))

oh my, i love it:sad:

Break My Rapture
Sep 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
The album is out everywhere today. :D Go buy it and enjoy by far the best pop album of 2012.

Break My Rapture
Sep 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Oh and here's the Parking Lot video:

3m80lgmrS-4

Directed by Ray Kay. :)

Maddox
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Lovin' this album :drool: definitely my 2nd favourite behind Folklore

delicatecutter
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I almost bought it today but I've only heard one song so I should probably hear more first. But I probably should have gotten it instead of Carly Rae's CD (which I bought). :tears:

Uranium
Sep 27th, 2012, 03:16 AM
A good album.

I love Miracles. I've liked all the songs I've listened to which is about half the album so far.

I don't think any will have big success on the US charts though.

M.P
Sep 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I almost bought it today but I've only heard one song so I should probably hear more first. But I probably should have gotten it instead of Carly Rae's CD (which I bought). :tears:

did you regret buying Carly Rae :oh:?? :oh:

that one is tooooooooo POP... for me

Steadyniacki
Sep 27th, 2012, 09:00 AM
My fav song on the album (apart from the singles) is Enemy. It's so simple but amazing.

MH0861
Sep 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM
A good album.

I love Miracles. I've liked all the songs I've listened to which is about half the album so far.

I don't think any will have big success on the US charts though.

It flopped horrendously in the US :lol: :sobbing: Less than 6,000 sold first week :o :o Didn't even debut in the Top 50.

delicatecutter
Sep 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
did you regret buying Carly Rae :oh:?? :oh:

that one is tooooooooo POP... for me

No I love my Carly Rae CD. :hearts:

I also bought the new Cat Power CD but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet aside from the first 3 songs.

Beat
Sep 28th, 2012, 08:11 AM
It flopped horrendously in the US :lol: :sobbing: Less than 6,000 sold first week :o :o Didn't even debut in the Top 50.

:eek:

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Love Spirit indestructible :inlove:. It's sad that it only has 3 million views on youtube though :sobbing:.

ce
Sep 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
She waited way too long after Loose, people forgot about her :shrug:

Beat
Sep 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
the new album also sold 2,776 copies in the UK :eek: but hey, at least she made it to no. 3 in the swiss charts! :woohoo: ;) and in the german charts as well, and that probably means a fair share of copies sold.

ce
Sep 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
^ Will probably sell well in Portugal :oh:

FORZA SARITA
Sep 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM

this :o
6 years is just too much
and her new label must suck because i've never heard her new songs on the radio :confused:

Invisible Fan
Sep 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM

She released a greatest hits and a Spanish album in between Loose and now.

rafal15ok
Sep 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM
my question: where is Timbaland...? :help:

Invisible Fan
Sep 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Plotting Justine Timberlake's next album probably :o

Invisible Fan
Sep 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Well she had a couple of albums which sold well and a couple that didn't. I don't really care how many albums she sells I still love her as an artist.

She did make a big comeback after Folklore sold poorly so maybe she can do it again :)

Steadyniacki
Sep 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't care about sales, I love it :hearts:

Break My Rapture
Sep 28th, 2012, 07:01 PM
:spit: desuetude weeps... Literally NO ONE is checking for this bitch :lol:. Will she even sell 10k worldwide?
The sales are insanely bad because they chose the wrong singles and she didn't even have a banner on iTunes. :spit: Even the most low-key artists/group have one for their new album, Interscope paid her dust this era. :lol: Regardless of sales, it's still the best pop album of the year for me so far so I'm happy Nelly delivered like she always does with her albums.

Break My Rapture
Sep 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Honey, I think you need to give it time before making statements like that.

And yes obviously something is deeply wrong with your marketing team if someone like Nelly can only sell 7000 copies in the two biggest music markets in the world, but on the other hand, as cool as Nelly is there really isn't a place for an artist like her on the global scale. The success of Loose was IMO less about her than it was her producer and it looks like it's going to be the big anomaly of her career :shrug:
I don't need to give it time. :lol: On first listen already, this album's quality blows all the other competition out of the water easily. The only one that comes remotely close is Lana's Born To Die, but even I thought that album was quite monotonous despite loving it and being a big fan of her.
p.s. what songs do you think should have been released as singles?
Should've started with Waiting For The Night in summer, then Bucket List. From that point she could release anything from Spirit Indestructible to Miracles to Believers and maybe High Life. Big Hoops should've NEVER lead the charge for this album. :lol: That was a colossal mistake.

Pump-it-UP
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:20 AM
:spit: desuetude weeps... Literally NO ONE is checking for this bitch :lol:. Will she even sell 10k worldwide?

33k worldwide

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Nelly :awww:.

To be fair, nearly everyone is flopping these days. Not everyone can benefit from media whoring oversaturation like Rihanna.

Break My Rapture
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM
33k worldwide
And I believe that's without Latin-American sales, where Nelly has a fanbase as well because of the success of Mi Plan.

Invisible Fan
Sep 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just saw the Parking Lot video, like it. I also liked "Spirit Indestructible" - the big hoops song not so much :o

Steadyniacki
Nov 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Why did this album flop so hard, a marketing failure?

The deluxe edition has some nice additional tracks.

Break My Rapture
Nov 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Marketing failure, definitely. A 6 six year long absence from US pop radio really didn't help either. I'm over it now, being one of relatively few people (for Nelly's standards) to own this amazing album gives it a sense of exlusiveness. :lol: Recently she said in an interview that she's already started recording new songs in both Spanish and English, and that she doesn't intend to take more long breaks.

FORZA SARITA
Nov 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
poor Nelly :hug: good idea to make again spanish songs :p

Break My Rapture
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM
88dLLDrVOwg

Cookiecrusher
Jan 14th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Love some of the songs on the album, why did it flop so badly :sobbing:

Spirit Indestructible is my jam :hearts: