PDA

View Full Version : The world's rudest nations for travellers

pierce85
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
The travel search site Skyscanner.com surveyed its users about where the locals never smile and people are particularly unfriendly, here are the results

Nationality Percentage of votes

French 19.29
Russian 16.56
British 10.43
German 9.93
Other 6.37
Chinese 4.30
American 3.39
Spanish 3.15
Italian 2.24
Polish 2.24
Turkish 2.15
Indian 1.90
Swiss 1.90
Greek 1.74
Croatian 1.57
Austrian 1.41
Cypriot 1.24
Egyptian 1.24
Korean 1.24
Norwegian 0.99
Australian 0.91
Dutch 0.83
Irish 0.83
Swedish 0.83
Japanese 0.66
Danish 0.55
Canadian 0.41
New Zealander 0.41
Indonesian 0.41
Portuguese 0.33
Thai 0.25
Filipino 0.17
Caribbean 0.08
Brazilian 0.08

Sam L
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
France No. 1? Not in my experience. :rolleyes:

ViceUltramontain
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
It's a toss up in France. Jerks or adorable people, like there's no middle.

pierce85
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Seriously, I love and have travelled several times to France but the Parisians are the rudest people I've ever met.

People were not friendly, weren't responding when I asked them for directions (even though my french is pretty good) and I even had a lady swearing at me in the metro just because I accidentally touched her.

People in other french cities I've been though (Bordeaux,Lyon,villages in Normandie) weren't rude.

ys
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM

It's not a tossup really. You deal with Parisian liberals - you get the former. You go into more conservative rural areas - Bordeaux, Provence, Savoy, and you definitely get the latter. Most of tourists go to Paris, and voilà, results of such poll.

Mynarco
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I don't think Russians are rude. Maybe it's because of language barrier?

Just Do It
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I guess people get annoyed when they see thousands of tourists every day. I find people in Prague rude and completely disinterested to help you about anything.

ys
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Not rude. Just not nice to strangers. And yes, very people speak foreign languages. And people almost never smile on public, most of the time look tense and defensive.

melodynelson
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM

It's kind of true. I met no jerks in Paris other than the prostitutes who kept trying to fling themselves on me and my boyfriend at the time, but people were generally nice and courteous, especially the customer service for restaurants or other places, much better than here in Portugal.

However, I feel I maybe have a different experience because I didn't speak English while I was there, and people would respond differently to me. When I DID speak English I noticed that looks and tones of voice would change a little bit--but they never responded back to me in English, only French.

Anyway, people really go overboard about how rude Parisians are, they seem to be just fine, just "aloof" if that's the correct word.

The Witch-king
Apr 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Accurate.

Fantasy Hero
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I guess people get annoyed when they see thousands of tourists every day. I find people in Prague rude and completely disinterested to help you about anything.

i don't agree on that, i've been to Tallinn and the city is really overloaded by turists getting off their cruise ships, but still the people are really nice and friendly with everyone, can't really say the same about any of my experiences in France, so i'm not surprised to see them at the top of the ranking.
quite surprised to see germany so high and i really expected to have italy and spain much higher as the language limitations in both nations are pretty big

stromatolite
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have generally positive experiences with French people, which is remarkable because I don't speak French, the sin above all other sins that the French supposedly cannot forgive. Americans are very friendly in my experience, and certainly don't deserve to be so high in the list. The trouble with a poll like this is that bigger/better-known countries are more likely to be named than smaller/less-known countries. I would put more trust in a poll with a yes-no option per country.

Mynarco
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Dutchies are probably the nicest people in Western Europe. Whoa, refreshing. British are actually not that bad to be frank

esquímaux
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I agree. Or at least I didn't run into any rude Russians. Well admit though, I wasn't a fan of the gypsy kids...

Mary Cherry.
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM
The lookie lookie men in Paris are a little too friendly, they grab your arm and try to get you to buy whatever crap they're selling.

njnetswill
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I've had so many friends with horror stories going to Paris, especially my non-white friends. Sexual harassment, racial slurs, everything. None of them had similar experiences when in other parts of France. Paris seems to be "special"

Ashi
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, I've heard comments about Paris from my dad. He said the only people willing to give him directions were the young students/younger adults/teenagers. Rest assured my dad can't speak french.

Bieselke
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Never had any big problems in Paris to be honest. I wouldn't say it's too much different from any other major city like Amsterdam, Antwerp or London.

My biggest disappointment on my trips was Stockholm. People weren't rude or anyting, they just seemed to be very much on their own. Was mostly to blame probably on the image I have of Scandinavia.

And the grabbing and trying to sell stuff you have in most touristic Hot spots in Paris and southern cities. Turkey was a nightmare on that point, although in general everybody was really nice.

Yey @ Belgium not being on the list (mainly because nobody ever travels to us :) )

Andiyan
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM
This list actually seems about right :lol:

Jane Lane
Apr 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
USA only 7th on the list? :worship: That's unexpected.

nevetssllim
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I've honestly never had a bad experience in Paris. I've been four times and I've always found the people to be very friendly. I suppose it helps I can speak a fair level of French but I can't recall anything untoward.

Hayato
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Travelling around Britain, I was astounded at how friendly and cheerful everyone was to me. It all depends on your own personal experience, really.

For example, if it's a rainy day, people are statistically less likely to be walking around smiling at the rain on the pavement.

I've been to 6 of 7 continents, lived in 3, and I can safely say that the Japanese are definitely the friendliest in my experience.

mykarma
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I've had so many friends with horror stories going to Paris, especially my non-white friends. Sexual harassment, racial slurs, everything. None of them had similar experiences when in other parts of France. Paris seems to be "special"

I find this so interesting because so many blacks in the past(especially people in the arts)moved to Paris to get their start while not being able to advance in the U.S. To bad if this is actually true.

esquímaux
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM
The lookie lookie men in Paris are a little too friendly, they grab your arm and try to get you to buy whatever crap they're selling.
:lol: Reminds me of when I was in Japan and some Japanese businessman tried to kidnap my girlfriend :lol: We were Honch ratting in 横須賀 one night and this dude pulled up, grabbed her, and proceeded towards his car :tape: To be honest, she was dressed kinda skanky ;) I did like his car though (if the tinted windows didn't look so dubious, I would've went with him) :angel:

esquímaux
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I don't think Australian should even be on the list :confused:?? Very nice people.

Frode
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Never had any big problems in Paris to be honest. I wouldn't say it's too much different from any other major city like Amsterdam, Antwerp or London.

My biggest disappointment on my trips was Stockholm. People weren't rude or anyting, they just seemed to be very much on their own. Was mostly to blame probably on the image I have of Scandinavia.

And the grabbing and trying to sell stuff you have in most touristic Hot spots in Paris and southern cities. Turkey was a nightmare on that point, although in general everybody was really nice.

Yey @ Belgium not being on the list (mainly because nobody ever travels to us :) )

All of Scandinavia is not the same;)

Swedes and Danes are VERY different people:)

Uranium
Apr 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, I've heard comments about Paris from my dad. He said the only people willing to give him directions were the young students/younger adults/teenagers. Rest assured my dad can't speak french.

When I went to France, this was how I felt. The older people wanted nothing to do with helping us, but younger people were relatively nice.

Halepsova
Apr 5th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Japanese are so nice. They reason they don't smile because they don't understand what you said. :o

Charlatan
Apr 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Japanese are so nice. They reason they don't smile because they don't understand what you said. :o

ain't Japanese notorious for their xenophobia?

But I agree. Many Asians in general don't respond to tourists because most of them don't understand English

Sammo
Apr 5th, 2012, 09:20 PM
ain't Japanese notorious for their xenophobia?

But I agree. Many Asians in general don't respond to tourists because most of them don't understand English

Maybe not with tourists, just with foreigners whom they coexist :lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I find this so interesting because so many blacks in the past(especially people in the arts)moved to Paris to get their start while not being able to advance in the U.S. To bad if this is actually true.

The problem is the talented artist-types stopped coming and were replaced by dull types who brainlessly go on about racism and victimization ad nauseum and can think and speak of nothing else. The French don't tolerate bores.

donellcarey
Apr 5th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Totally agree.

Some French really are rude...especially in Marseilles, Paris is actually better.

Ppl from Nice seems nice too though.

shap_half
Apr 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Dutchies are probably the nicest people in Western Europe. Whoa, refreshing. British are actually not that bad to be frank

I would go with the Portuguese or the Scots and then maybe the Swiss, in my experience?

I find the Spaniards to be the most insufferable.

JN
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:22 PM

I would think all of ANY nation is not the same. :shrug:

tennisbum79
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Not rude. Just not nice to strangers. And yes, very people speak foreign languages. And people almost never smile on public, most of the time look tense and defensive.
Interesting that you did not break up the Russians into Liberals vs. Conservatives as you arbitrarily did in case the French.

Halardfan
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I think London skews the British results, a find the city ruder than the rest of the country.

Love France, but not surprised to see them top the list.

Pops Maellard
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM

Yep, Michael Llodra's or Gilles Simon's :lol:.

LeRoy.
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I have found a lot of French people to be very cold and distant. Dutch people OTOH have been very warm and loving. I also love the dutch accent. :hearts: And, the men are so tall and a lot of them are so gorgeous. :drool:

Malva
Apr 6th, 2012, 12:03 AM

This is true also for many countries in Central Europe. In Germany one rarely meets people smiling and friendly (maybe the younger generation is changing this).

I have been many times to Paris, from a few days, weeks, to a few months, and it is definitely true that Parisians in general are not too friendly. My French friends are mentioning this by the way a lot more than I have an occasion to notice myself. And I confirm that in the cities outside Paris one generally meets much kinder people.

njnetswill
Apr 6th, 2012, 12:20 AM
The problem is the talented artist-types stopped coming and were replaced by dull types who brainlessly go on about racism and victimization ad nauseum and can think and speak of nothing else. The French don't tolerate bores.

Right, because we should all just silence ourselves when confronted with prejudice and ugly behavior, just like the good old days eh? :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Apr 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Right, because we should all just silence ourselves when confronted with prejudice and ugly behavior, just like the good old days eh? :rolleyes:

Perceived prejudice and ugly behaviour doesn't merit prejudiced and ugly behaviour, the French see right through that.

ranfurly
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I worked in Hospo back during Uni over semester breaks, and these are my observations (Note, some of them have slightly satirical tone to them and are not meant to cause offence)

The Poms (British) - Mainly the older generation, they complain alot, and I don't mean alot, but ALOT, It's usually the woman who has something to say, being the weather, the price, the climate, the noise, The Wife normally spurs on the other wives if they are travelling in a pack. Men tend to stay out, but will have a moan if the Wife spurs him on.

Scottish - Pleasant, jovial

Israeli's - Vile, the older generation want something for nothing, if they are not completely happy with the service, they demand discounts. Younger generation, especially out of the Army, act like they are Gods gift, again, demanding, arrogant, I booked one on a ferry one time, and then cancelled it as soon as he left so he missed his flight because he was such a cu** to deal with. IF THE PRICE SAYS $99 ONE WAY, THAT IS THE PRICE, THERE IS NO BARTERING!

Dutch - Like a good service, but again, a bit cheap.

German's - Well lubricated and organised in there travels like a Swiss Watch, don't tend to fork out for something, love to ask lots of questions.

Japanese - the nicest of the people I came across, polite, friendly, maybe slightly naive in there travels, always seem to appear lost, but generally independent of there surroundings, always willing to make friends over email/internet if you get to know them.

Chinese - Older Generation - Boring, hardly travelled, skive of to there room, and gone the next morning before you wake up, keep to themselves, but generally polite.

Taiwanese - Second rate version of the Japs, keep to themselves as well, travel in bus loads, off again on again type service, and that's what I encountered with them, whirlwind travellers.

French - Never had a problem with them so far.

JN
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Interesting that you did not break up the Russians into Liberals vs. Conservatives as you arbitrarily did in case the French.

You noticed that too, huh? :lol:

WowWow
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM

First of all, The French do tolerate what you call "bores", and second, they tolerate much worse than that.

and by "French" I mean the establishment and all government funded crap.

Malva
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by tennisbum79

It is easy to subconsciously make an assumption that such categories like a liberal, a conservative apply to other societies. This is not so. Travelling extensively, learning foreign languages, and living for long periods of time abroad taking keen interest in those societies, make you realize this.

shap_half
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I've heard some terrible things about Israelis. One friend, who actually loves Israel and often travels there, says that if anything would ever convince to never go there again it would be the people.

I've just come back from the Netherlands (seriously landed like six hours ago), and I found the Dutch to be decent people. One of the girls I met said that the Dutch are known to be cheap, and that she agrees.

I'm one of the worst people you will encounter at the airport because I am generally impatient and can't deal with people who don't operate as efficiently as I do. When I was in Zurich last summer, I almost screamed at a group of Japanese tourists, because they were making my life a living hell. Going through passport control, instead of standing in one line, they spread themselves across all four lines. Lucky for me, I was behind one of them in these lines. And when they were all at the front of the line, instead of going up one by one, they all went up together and proceeded to take over the entire passport control area, some of them were even walking around in between kiosks and pulling each other across different lines. And they were behaving as if a passport control counter is the most alien thing they've ever seen. Then when this was all and done, and I've gone through the luggage claim, I tried to find my way to the nearest ATM, and who do I find? The same group of Japanese tourists. Where were they? sitting directly in front of the ATM rearranging their luggages. WTF?! I asked if they were using the ATM, and one answered, "No." And when they realized that they were blocking everyone else from using it, started to move half the open pieces of luggage around to make room for me. And a couple of the girls were doing extremely high-pitched apologetic giggling sounds, which only inflamed my fury. I decided to look for a different ATM.

tennisbum79
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Helen, why did you have to bring race in this?

BTW, have yo seen the French national teams in football(men and women), handball basketball?
Those players talk about race too!

James Baldwin was never quiet was about racism, neither Josephine Baker.
IN fact, you can make the case many artist-writers-intellectual who go to exile to Paris actually sharpen their intellectual thought about and bigotry.

Your notion that French have no patience for discussion about race is not supported by historical facts.

tennisbum79
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:00 AM
It is is constant with him.

JN
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I think London skews the British results, a find the city ruder than the rest of the country.

Love France, but not surprised to see them top the list.

I've spent months in Slough, London, Olney and Milton Keynes, UK, and besides little White girls following me up and down the Olney High Street giggling and asking me to, "say something", like they'd never seen an American Black guy before, I noticed no rudeness at all. That same non-noticing of rudeness goes for Hamburg, DE and Toronto, CA, as well.

Halardfan
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I've heard some terrible things about Israelis. One friend, who actually loves Israel and often travels there, says that if anything would ever convince to never go there again it would be the people.

I've just come back from the Netherlands (seriously landed like six hours ago), and I found the Dutch to be decent people. One of the girls I met said that the Dutch are known to be cheap, and that she agrees.

I'm one of the worst people you will encounter at the airport because I am generally impatient and can't deal with people who don't operate as efficiently as I do. When I was in Zurich last summer, I almost screamed at a group of Japanese tourists, because they were making my life a living hell. Going through passport control, instead of standing in one line, they spread themselves across all four lines. Lucky for me, I was behind one of them in these lines. And when they were all at the front of the line, instead of going up one by one, they all went up together and proceeded to take over the entire passport control area, some of them were even walking around in between kiosks and pulling each other across different lines. And they were behaving as if a passport control counter is the most alien thing they've ever seen. Then when this was all and done, and I've gone through the luggage claim, I tried to find my way to the nearest ATM, and who do I find? The same group of Japanese tourists. Where were they? sitting directly in front of the ATM rearranging their luggages. WTF?! I asked if they were using the ATM, and one answered, "No." And when they realized that they were blocking everyone else from using it, started to move half the open pieces of luggage around to make room for me. And a couple of the girls were doing extremely high-pitched apologetic giggling sounds, which only inflamed my fury. I decided to look for a different ATM.

I have the opposite impression of the Japanese, in the vast majority they are extremely polite. The only problem is trying to adjust to be as kind and polite as they are. Of course there are bad people everywhere and it's possible you were just particularly unlucky. As you say, an airport with all it's stress and chaos, is not a place we see anyone at their best.

Fantasy Hero
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:51 AM

i had -sadly- never been to Sweden-Norge-Finland, but my experience with danish people was awesome, i found a great enviroment in Copenhagen, with smiley people always willing to help you just in case you needed it. Same can be said for Estonians, whose only limit was the change of mood when you try to speak russian with them, they politely ask you to talk in english if possible, but i guess that's more than understandable.

Dawn Marie
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hey,my friends and I were at a Pub yesterday and the bartender and a few people were saying that the French were rude as hell. Germans and Persians were also mentioned. They went on to say that Japanese and Dutch were nice. Yet the most laid backand nicest were the SPANISH.
I couldnt tell yah as Ive never been abroad except for Toronto.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
France No. 1? Not in my experience. :rolleyes: I think it is mostly Paris. I have been over and found that Parisians are extremely rude in general, but in other parts of France the people are wonderful

Sam L
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I've spent more time in Paris than other areas in France including practically living in the suburbs and commuting in the city quite a bit. I can't agree. Maybe it's the tourists being rude to other tourists. :oh:

shap_half
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hey,my friends and I were at a Pub yesterday and the bartender and a few people were saying that the French were rude as hell. Germans and Persians were also mentioned. They went on to say that Japanese and Dutch were nice. Yet the most laid backand nicest were the SPANISH.
I couldnt tell yah as Ive never been abroad except for Toronto.

Oh, hell no! Not by my experience...

Barrie_Dude
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I've spent more time in Paris than other areas in France including practically living in the suburbs and commuting in the city quite a bit. I can't agree. Maybe it's the tourists being rude to other tourists. :oh:
Nope...... waiters et all.

ys
Apr 8th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Russian liberals? There is no such thing :lol:

ys
Apr 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
It is easy to subconsciously make an assumption that such categories like a liberal, a conservative apply to other societies. This is not so. Travelling extensively, learning foreign languages, and living for long periods of time abroad taking keen interest in those societies, make you realize this.

Exactly.
And being arrogant, rude, inconsiderate to people around you, thinking that others owe you something, disrespect to traditions is a trademark of predominantly liberal Western big cities. You won't find these traits so clear and striking anywhere else.

Richie's
Apr 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Spaniards, by million ways.

hablo
Apr 8th, 2012, 02:56 PM
France No. 1? Not in my experience. :rolleyes:

Ditto.

I got help when I was lost and I hadn't even asked yet. :lol::shrug:

Crazy Canuck
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM

I've had many a Russian tell me that they're also horrible to each other. So, it's not a language barrier. A culture barrier, perhaps (what's rude in once place isn't in another, blah blah).

LoveFifteen
Apr 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Paris gives me life, and I have had so many lovely, legendary experiences there.

Blu€
Apr 8th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I find people in Prague rude and completely disinterested to help you about anything.

Ditto, I was a week there and after the second day we were like, "Can't we change these tickets and go home already?". Of course, it wasn't everybody, though I'd say 80% of the people we met. It was funny, some restaurants advertised themselves as "friendly to tourists". After some dreadful experiences the first couple of days we stuck to those & buying our own food!

silverwhite
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Paris gives me life, and I have had so many lovely, legendary experiences there.

Details? :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 9th, 2012, 04:11 AM
The French have been very sweet to me.

The Vietnamese are the worst!

skanky~skanketta
Apr 9th, 2012, 04:12 AM
The nicest were hands down, the Japanese.

Veritas
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I imagine the Japanese would be very courteous. Politeness is embedded deeply in their culture and despite whatever they're really thinking they at least make every effort to be respectful. I remember back in primary school I had accidentally put my lunchbox into the bag of a Japanese classmate. The next day he returned it and it was cleaned by his mother! It's a simple act but it was still touching that someone would do something that benefits me without expecting anything in return :)

Genevieve72
Apr 9th, 2012, 06:36 AM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgIt's a toss up in France. Jerks or adorable people, like there's no middle.

Halardfan
Apr 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I imagine the Japanese would be very courteous. Politeness is embedded deeply in their culture and despite whatever they're really thinking they at least make every effort to be respectful. I remember back in primary school I had accidentally put my lunchbox into the bag of a Japanese classmate. The next day he returned it and it was cleaned by his mother! It's a simple act but it was still touching that someone would do something that benefits me without expecting anything in return :)

That sounds typically Japanese, many Japanese act I such a considerate manner that it's almost overwhelming.

It's hard to match!

PhilePhile
Apr 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM
dXrPBKXnRAQ

tennismaster8820
Apr 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM
From my travel experiences people in Spain were the rudest.

I could say much more about rudest nations who travel, tourists. :lol:

McPie
Apr 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM
hmm I'm not surprise with THA rate :lol:

SM
Apr 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
People in Greece were rude to me. Maybe because I have a FYROM background ;) lol...but srsly i have to say people were not friendly at all in Thessaloniki

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Russian liberals? There is no such thing :lol:

Perhaps that's why Russia finished 2nd as the least friendly country. :shrug: