Police: California shooting suspect shows no remorse
By Ashley Hayes, CNN
updated 12:18 PM EDT, Tue April 3, 2012
Suspect detained in California shooting

* The victims range in age from 21 to 40, police say
* The suspect will not tell police the location of his weapon, authorities say
* The suspect lined up students against a classroom wall, the police chief says
* He left, reloaded his weapon and returned, Police Chief Howard Jordan says

(CNN) -- The man accused of killing seven people execution-style at a small religious college in Oakland, California, "does not appear to be remorseful at all," the city's police chief said Tuesday.

Former student One Goh, 43, told authorities he was upset at being expelled from Oikos University this year, Police Chief Howard Jordan said. He was upset with some administrators and students and said he had been "picked on" and "wasn't treated fairly," Jordan said.

Investigators believe Goh walked into the single-story building housing the university Monday morning, took a receptionist hostage and went looking for a particular female administrator, who was not there, Jordan told CNN.

Goh took the woman into the classroom, but when he realized the administrator was not there, he shot the secretary and ordered the students to line up against the wall. Not all of them cooperated, Jordan said, and so he began shooting.

Full article: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/us/california-shooting/index.html

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I blame the increase on these mass shootings not only to gun laws but also to the assault on mental health treatment in this country. Almost all public/state or county run mental health facilities have been closed down due to funding. :help:

slamchamp
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
What happens in the US??:o

Melange
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I blame the increase on these mass shootings not only to gun laws but also to the assault on mental health treatment in this country. Almost all public/state or county run mental health facilities have been closed down due to funding. :help:

they need to pay for the war and they cant raise taxes

pov
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
What's with the societal thing about "remorse" ? There's even some with careers in psychology who've come up with the idea that not having remorse is a sign of mental abnormality. To me, I'd expect remorse only when someone did something that they didn't intend to do, or they snapped and were in other than their own standard state of mind, or some time after their actions, they changed their perspective.

pov
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I blame the increase on these mass shootings not only to gun laws but also to the assault on mental health treatment in this country.

IMO that's a flawed view of "mental health." Something (sanity) for which no absolute baseline exists.

Plus, according to people who study mass killings there is no increase:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/us/us-mass-killings/

Each mass killing provokes a flurry of public shock and a frenzy of media attention -- and often soul searching about whether they represent a broader descent into gun-fueled violence.

But are such attacks on the rise in the United States?

Not according to professor James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston who has been studying mass murder for the past three decades.

Despite the huge media coverage devoted to them, crime statistics show that there is no upward trend in mass killings -- defined as having four victims or more, not counting terrorism -- since the 1970s, he said.

mykarma
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
this

pov
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
this
Interesting that you ignored the post stating that there is no increase. Not surprising but still interesting. ;)

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
IMO that's a flawed view of "mental health." Something (sanity) for which no absolute baseline exists.

Plus, according to people who study mass killings there is no increase:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/us/us-mass-killings/

Each mass killing provokes a flurry of public shock and a frenzy of media attention -- and often soul searching about whether they represent a broader descent into gun-fueled violence.

But are such attacks on the rise in the United States?

Not according to professor James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston who has been studying mass murder for the past three decades.

Despite the huge media coverage devoted to them, crime statistics show that there is no upward trend in mass killings -- defined as having four victims or more, not counting terrorism -- since the 1970s, he said.

yeah, except he failed to back that opinion up with actual numbers? :confused: He claims murder has increased since the 60's and then gives a total number of episodes from 1976 to 2008? Surely he has the break down of numbers? He then blames possibly the increase of coverage for this feeling of increase... and then the article then quotes an 'expert' who doesn't think the media is influencing the public's view on this issue. All in All, I'll say that article is interesting to understand competing opinions but not exactly chocked full of facts to back up any one opinion. :shrug:

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Interesting that you ignored the post stating that there is no increase. Not surprising but still interesting. ;)

you think way too highly of said article. :lol:

Vlover
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well people are getting what they voted for! Obviously the NRA/Republicans think everyone should have the right and access to a gun over health care, including the mentally unstable. Which other civilized, developed country think this way? When was the last time we heard of such killings/shootings in Canada?

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM

btw, nowhere in my initial post did I claim that a decrease of mental health facilities = an increase in insanity? People in need of mental health treatment are not necessarily insane, some are but not all and maybe not even most. This person doesn't sound insane to me, crazy aka 'mentally sick' but not insane. Also, does there need to be a baseline of sanity to realize that some need mental health treatment and the lack of access to affordable treatment will effect the said population? :confused:

mykarma
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
What post are you referring and why can't I agree with Rocketta?

wild.river
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Well people are getting what they voted for! Obviously the NRA/Republicans think everyone should have the right and access to a gun over health care, including the mentally unstable. Which other civilized, developed country think this way? When was the last time we heard of such killings/shootings in Canada?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College_shooting

Vlover
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
If 6yrs ago this happen, I wonder how many shootings happen in the US in the last 6yrs?

JN
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM

Exactly. As bad as it is now, imagine how much worse things could get with one of those in the White House, again. My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones. And I commend the Alameda PD for immediately arresting the shooter despite him not being in possession of the weapon.

tennisbum79
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
WE have lots of guns!!!

At least this guy was arrested.

Back to the guns, in some states, lawmakers even oppose limiting gun purchase at one per month.
The NRA opposes any measure to institute background check that may take more than 24 hours.
That is another aspect of our gun-crazy society.

Sammo
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
What kind of name is One Goh?

*JR*
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
WE have lots of guns!!!

The IRA opposes any measure to institute background check that may take more than 24 hours.

I think you mean the NRA. (The IRA needs the guns :secret: it has "in reserve" to assure an eventual united Ireland, whether the "Ulster Unionists" like it or not) :boxing:

BTW (as to your main point, with the corrected spelling) :angel: the gun show loophole and "straw man purchases" make even those controls that DO exist rather flimsy. :shrug:

http://www.vpc.org/studies/tupfour.htm

tennisbum79
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
I think you mean the NRA. (The IRA needs the guns :secret: it has "in reserve" to assure an eventual united Ireland, whether the "Ulster Unionists" like it or not) :boxing:
Thanks, that was a major typo.

Vlover
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
As often the case $$$$ takes precidence over all else. The National Rifle Association have bought majority Republican polticians therefore they have to make laws that makes it easier to buy and carry guns and even kill people withought being charged (see stand your groud laws). I think in some states you can have your gun on college campuses too therefore expect to hear about more shootings as we move forward.:help:

tennisbum79
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
I think in some states you can have your gun on college campuses too therefore expect to hear about more shootings as we move forward.:help:

Arizona and Texas come to mind, but I think there are more.

And you will find no students campaigning to carry guns

wta_zuperfann
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
I haven't checked but have the right wingers blamed Obama as they do for everything else that goes wrong in this society?

Melange
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Every time one of these happens, you will get the gun huggers stating that there be less of these incidents if there were more people around carrying guns to take out the shooters. So the answer is that they need more guns and not less to make everyone safer

Melange
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
I haven't checked but have the right wingers blamed Obama as they do for everything else that goes wrong in this society?

When I saw John Kerry being filmed by news crews going hunting during his election campaign, that was like a confirmation that the both sides of politics are unconcerned about guns

JN
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:05 AM
When I saw John Kerry being filmed by news crews going hunting during his election campaign, that was like a confirmation that the both sides of politics are unconcerned about guns

John Kerry going on a hunting trip hardly equates to the level of right-wing gun-ownership lunacy, spurred on by the NRA. I'm sure you can see the difference.

tennisbum79
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Wait until Gingrich, Santorom , Rush Limbaugh speak.

I am sure each will find a link to President Obama.
Let's see, here some plausible ones
The shooter is Asian, Obama spent some childhood years in Indonesia ( Rush and Gingrich)
The school has several international students, some from Africa, there you go (Gingrich)
The school is christian, Obama trying to snuff out christian values from the school (Santorum)
This would not have happen if Obama had not said everyone can go to college. Obama inspired this 40 years old man to enroll in college, where not only he obviously does not belong, but tarnished and shattered the christian beliefs and reputation of the school.(Santorum)

JN
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Wait until Gingrich, Santorom , Rush Limbaugh speak.

I am sure each will find a link to President Obama.
Let's see, here some plausible ones
The shooter is Asian, Obama spent some childhood year in Indonesia ( Rush and Gingrich)
The school has several international students, some from Africa, there you go ( Gingrich)
The school is christian, Obama trying to snuff out christian values from the school ( Santorum)
This would not have happen if Obama had not said everyone can go to college. Obama inspired this 40 years old man to enroll in college, where not only he obvisously does not belong, but tarnished and shattered the christian beliefs and reputation of the school.(Santorum)

Ever thought about writing for Fox or The Blaze? :lol:

tennisbum79
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Ever thought about writing for Fox or The Blaze? :lol:
:lol:No, Paneru will find out I am an imposter:lol:

edificio
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM

I agree, to some extent, about both. But some of these people would never even consider that they might have mental health issues at all, and their families might not either. It is difficult.

Tragic, though.

tennisbum79
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I agree, to some extent, about both. But some of these people would never even consider that they might have mental health issues at all, and their families might not either. It is difficult.

Tragic, though.
Let's just say that is out of consideration for most first generation immigrants, especially those from African & Asian countries.
There is a stigma attached to this.

LeonHart
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Let's just say that is out of consideration for most first generation immigrants, especially those from African & Asian countries.
There is a stigma attached to this.

This isn't an "Asian" problem. It's a Korean problem. For years the Korean government and media have promoted rated R music and television and this is the backlash that is happening. Both the Virginia Tech shooter and this one are both Korea....it's not a surprise really. There was also news that some Korean gangs were targeting Chinese people here in So. Cal. So leave Asians out of the equation :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Apr 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
This isn't an "Asian" problem. It's a Korean problem. For years the Korean government and media have promoted rated R music and television and this is the backlash that is happening. Both the Virginia Tech shooter and this one are both Korea....it's not a surprise really. There was also news that some Korean gangs were targeting Chinese people here in So. Cal. So leave Asians out of the equation :rolleyes:

not for nothing....but haven't violent criminal gangs always been prevalent in large asian communities in the US? Mainly, china towns all over the country?

I've watched a lot of older Japanese samurai movies and they were quite violent... don't know what they were graded... as they were in Japanese.

I don't know if you mean murder is 'not frowned upon' enough in Korean society but with the way most entertainment is now global... I doubt Korean's are the only ones seeing 'R' movies. This guy I don't know much about but the Va tech shooter clearly was mentally ill, and had limited services given to him although someone needed to step in and either have him committed or forced him to seek therapy. Unfortunately, only people who could do something like that are the police or your family and neither seemed to realize how 'sick' that kid was.

There is definitely a stigma to getting help in certain communities.... whether that includes the different Asian communities... I don't know.

Rocketta
Apr 7th, 2012, 04:15 AM

Tragic, though.

True, but I hope a lot of people would seek help if reasonably priced confidential treatment was available before their rage turns into delusions which turns into action. Part of the funding was also for reaching out to the community letting people know what is available. My mom used to work in a public mental health facility before she retired and I remembered many of the patients there were court ordered to go so I wonder now that these services are minimized do the courts still sentence people to seek therapy for issues they would never on their own seek therapy?

mykarma
Apr 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
not for nothing....but haven't violent criminal gangs always been prevalent in large asian communities in the US? Mainly, china towns all over the country?

I've watched a lot of older Japanese samurai movies and they were quite violent... don't know what they were graded... as they were in Japanese.

I don't know if you mean murder is 'not frowned upon' enough in Korean society but with the way most entertainment is now global... I doubt Korean's are the only ones seeing 'R' movies. This guy I don't know much about but the Va tech shooter clearly was mentally ill, and had limited services given to him although someone needed to step in and either have him committed or forced him to seek therapy. Unfortunately, only people who could do something like that are the police or your family and neither seemed to realize how 'sick' that kid was.

There is definitely a stigma to getting help in certain communities.... whether that includes the different Asian communities... I don't know.
There are also many Vietnamese gangs in the U.S.