PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cometh Matches: Which match was the beginning of the slow grueling end...

VeeJJ
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:33 AM
For any player. Well, the ones that have had one. List opponents, scores, why you think it was their Fall Cometh match, and where they are now.

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:37 AM
For Ana it was USO '08 VS Coin obviously. Worst loss for a #1 in a slam at the time (not sure if it still is).

danieln1
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
Serena Williams def. (1) Justine Henin 6-2 6-0 Miami QF 2008

Venus Williams def. (1) Lindsay Davenport 4-6 7-6 9-7 Wimbledon F 2005

Azarenka def. Sharapova 6-3 6-0 :oh:

Kvitova def. (1) Safina 7-6 in the third US Open 09

Wickmayer def. Clijsters 6-4 7-6 Miami 3R :oh:

Brad[le]y.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Hingis:

RG 1999 F or 2002 AO F. Take your pick

danieln1
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hingis:

RG 1999 F or 2002 AO F. Take your pick

I was going to write the 02 F match that never happened too but you were quicker :angel:

That for Martina was the beginning of the end for her :sad:

Cajka
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:02 AM
For Ana it was USO '08 VS Coin obviously. Worst loss for a #1 in a slam at the time (not sure if it still is).

I always thought that it was RG final. ::lol: She started slumping immediately after that.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:04 AM

Nope, that Chinese girl beating Safina is a worse loss for No1 ranked player. She was like 230. in the world, while Coin was 188.

And Ana's "fall" began with her RG final match, after that everythin went downhill :tape:

Brad[le]y.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:04 AM
I was going to write the 02 F match that never happened too but you were quicker :angel:

That for Martina was the beginning of the end for her :sad:

Martina and Lindsay were idiots :bigcry:

No, she won 5th slam Tokyo afterwards :rocker2: then it was the end :sobbing:

the jamierbelyea
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:08 AM
Nope, that Chinese girl beating Safina is a worse loss for No1 ranked player. She was like 230. in the world, while Coin was 188.

And Ana's "fall" began with her RG final match, after that everythin went downhill :tape:

He said at a slam at the time.

MB.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:09 AM
JJ

AO 2009, R4 loss to Marion. F*** the offseason after 08.

killerqueen
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'd say the defeat to Petkovic in Miami really kickstarted Caro's slump last year. Before that, she was actually doing a pretty good job of being the number 1 (wins in IW, Beijing, Tokyo, Dubai, Finals of YEC, Doha, SF at AO) and only really losing to top players. (Kim, Li, post-shitfest Vera)...

Her career isn't in intensive care though, she's still got time to improve, so it's not quite the same as other examples.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:16 AM
He said at a slam at the time.

my bad

moby
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
Ivanovic's "win" against Dechy at Wimbledon 2008.

Jane Lane
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Only tennis things considered here, but Chak losing to Kirilenko at the 08 AO :sobbing:

Barktra
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
Myskina's lost to Henin at the 04 Olympics was the fall for her IMO

Charlatan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
Mauresmo's R4 loss to Vaidisova at 07 Wimbledon :sad:

since then she only got to R4 at any slam only two times and never got through to QF and her records outside the slam aren't impressive either :shrug:

miffedmax
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
The sublime one achieved her supreme goal and walked away from her career while still at the top of her game to get married. :hearts:

shoparound
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
JJ

AO 2009, R4 loss to Marion. F*** the offseason after 08.

This..... Jelena's career was done after that match.

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:46 AM
Myskina's lost to Henin at the 04 Olympics was the fall for her IMO

It killed everything in her.

njnetswill
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Not a top player, but it took years for Tamira Paszek to recover from that loss to Jankovic at the AO.

shoparound
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Melanie Oudin - 1st round AO '10 vs Alla. She had match points to win but didn't convert and ended up losing the match. Was never the same...

Aryman3
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
In my opinion the last straw for Martina H. was the lost match against 18 y. old Aga. A month later she finally withdrew

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
I was just comparing how Dinara & Jelena lost #1 to Caroline.

Dinara had a back injury when she was still #1. When she played that USO where she lost to Kvitova, she was already regressed, lost her 1st match in Rogers Cup & almost lost to Rogowska 1st round USO. An awful level of tennis where it was clear something was wrong. She was off the tour after that.
Jankovic said she tried to add muscle after finishing #1 in 2008, was never the same player.
Thats why I'm so against Caroline changing, besides serving better. You have to stay with your defensive skillset & not listen to 'change your game' BS

From Miami to Miami, Caroline just had a wasted year. Fell from 1 to 6, no slam final, no mandatory or YEC final, no premier 5 final.
I consider that a full wasted 12 months, but beating Serena hopefully a sign she's back.
We'll see. If she never gets back to a slam final or #1, the loss to Dani at the FO plus to Domi at Wimbledon, is where the collapse started

Fantasy Hero
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Flavia's loss to Kerber in USO QF '11 :sobbing:

vozas
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Empress losing to Bartoli at the AO really was the beginning of the end. I have no idea what happened during the off-season but JJ was already looking bored by the time she played her first match at the AO.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong here, but Li Na's loss to Clijsters this year may have been a bit too much for Mrs. Endorsement.

Safina's loss to Kvitova at the USO was also the end of an era (THANK YOU Petra, Dinara still remains the most horrid #1 ever in my eyes)

Yoncé
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Vaidisova 2007 US Open loss to Peer :sobbing: IMO worse that the loss to Ajde at Wimbledon :bigcry:

Mynarco
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Jankovic - losing to Bartoli in 2009 at AO
she then only won 2 more titles till now
one fluke GS SF

vozas
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Jankovic - losing to Bartoli in 2009 at AO
she then only won 2 more titles till now
one fluke GS SF

Defeating GOATvedova in the QF :worship::worship::worship: :sobbing:

Reptilia
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Safina def. Cornet 09 AO :spit:

Linguae^
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Jelena losing to Stosur at the French Open 2010.
Ana losing to Makarova at the AO last year changed her momentum a lot, but fortunately she gained her strength this year. Losing to Zheng at W 2008 has been her biggest career turnaround to the worse, let's forget it, not's gonna happen again.

Serena_Williams_
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Serena in that 2010 exo in Belgium vs Kim :sobbing:

MaRearSharaPoova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Seles vs Maleeva Hamburg QF 1993 :tape:

BepaMaria
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Azarenka losing to Bartoli in Miami QF

oh yeah i guess
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM

You so silly.

metamorpha
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
1999 French Open final was the beginning of the end for Hingis, I think she recovered from it but it became somewhat an omen for her future. No more slams and always came short when it counted the most. Pride comes before the fall.

In her televised match later at USO 1999, there was a poll about whether she could win another slam in the future or not. I was shocked. There were people who predicted she would never win again just because she would never recover from that one incident. And their prediction was true!

JustPetko
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Nadia losing to Morigami in RG R1.

medved
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hantuchova/Asagoe :(

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Serena Williams def. (1) Justine Henin 6-2 6-0 Miami QF 2008

Venus Williams def. (1) Lindsay Davenport 4-6 7-6 9-7 Wimbledon F 2005

Azarenka def. Sharapova 6-3 6-0 :oh:

Kvitova def. (1) Safina 7-6 in the third US Open 09

Wickmayer def. Clijsters 6-4 7-6 Miami 3R :oh:

Umm no :lol:. She was in dubious form the whole year (not godawful, but it was a real step down from the previous few months).

The match that should be mentioned is actually the YEC 2007 final, Henin def. Sharapova 5-7, 7-5, 6-3. It was the pinnacle of her career: not her best tennis or the best match by either, but a sublime end to a near-flawless season following a breakthrough in her personal life. By her own admission, the fire burned brightest at that moment and then went out.

At the time, it seemed impossible, but sadly, that is how it turned out :sad:

Tomic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Jelena losing to Stosur at the French Open 2010

Nadia Petrova losing to Elena at the French Open 2010

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova losing to Francesca Schiavone at the French Open 2011

crazillo
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Seles vs Maleeva Hamburg QF 1993 :tape:

For both player probably, although way worse to Seles obviously.

Quite shocking how many players once could name.

Beny
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I remember Cornet wasting a lot of chances to beat the then-best player in the world-Safina. She had match points I believe. And she is now soooo low.

Dementieva - that FO loss to Schiavone.

She had match points against Stosur (4 :o ) at her last slam, but that FO loss was worse

Charlatan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM

BepaMaria :facepalm:

Stonerpova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Jankovic's loss to Stosur at the French 2 years ago. So much facepalm.

Marlene
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
What exactly is a Fall Cometh Match? The matches that have been mentioned in this thread have one thing in common in that they define a point after which the players in question never again became as good as before. But the downfalls that came after these matches have come from very different reasons, and in most cases it was not the match itself that caused the downfall. Does that matter?

There are examples of matches lost because of an emerging injury the player could no longer overcome, e.g. Safina, US Open 2009. Then there are matches that players never mentally recovered from; Li's loss at Aussie Open this year could potentially be one of those. But it doesn't sit quite right with me to bunch these matches together; it seems unfair to the players who were brought down by injuries to compare them to those who just lost the plot?

hingisGOAT
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
For Hingis it is both RG 99 and AO 02. After RG 99, she turned into a choker in the biggest moments, something she never was. Her time winning GS was done, as she would still reach a lot of GS semis & finals but would always blow matches she should have won. Afer AO 02, Hingis' time as a top player was over. That was quite literally her last stand.

(I'm tempted, however, to say the 2001 AO final had a bigger impact than 2002. Before the '01 match, she was still beating literally everbody, except in GS finals. After that match, she never beat a top player again (except for the occasional win over Seles, and one win over Clijsters)

metamorpha
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:08 AM
It's possible that JJ experienced more or less similar burnout like Hingis. But the latter had too much pride back then.

shoparound
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Umm no :lol:. She was in dubious form the whole year (not godawful, but it was a real step down from the previous few months).

The match that should be mentioned is actually the YEC 2007 final, Henin def. Sharapova 5-7, 7-5, 6-3. It was the pinnacle of her career: not her best tennis or the best match by either, but a sublime end to a near-flawless season following a breakthrough in her personal life. By her own admission, the fire burned brightest at that moment and then went out.

At the time, it seemed impossible, but sadly, that is how it turned out :sad:

I actually think it started with her loss to Sharapova in AO 08. She wasn't doing THAT horribly in the year until that match. Final straw was Safina.

AdeyC
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:21 AM
In terms of never recovering mentally - it has to be Sue Barker who wins hands down - never the same player after losing to Betty Stove in the Wimbledon semis of 77

vozas
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I actually think it started with her loss to Sharapova in AO 08. She wasn't doing THAT horribly in the year until that match. Final straw was Safina.

I don't think that loss was anywhere near the mental blows that some of the ones mentioned in this thread were. Maria just blasted Henin off the court, and she would've done it with a similar (or even more embarrassing) score to any other player considering how devastating she was that day. People tend to forget how well Justine played that match.

The Serena bagel in Miami, however, was probably the beginning of the end. Justine just couldn't find the court and the BH was catastrophic.